Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,120 | Hads: 6,945
3.54/5  rDev +2.6%

So me and Sheepnutz are out at the Hofbrauhaus Newport swilling down Weizens, see. Well we ended the evening a little earlier than I usually would due to my wife's friends with a short leash or something, what the hell ever, right? So we said our sayonaras and perhaps Sheep and I will check out Beer and pretzel night at Barrel House later in June, do a beer night proper justice. But now it's me and my other half, with a sitter at home and some free time on our hands. We check out a local bar with live music (The Polecats) and I'm looking for something I haven't reviewed. They don't even have taps here at Patrick's in Delhi, just bottles, my military background tells me we will make due.

Quite the long setup, I know, but sometimes ambience has an impact for a review. I look into the cold case, and the only thing I can even *consider* drinking after Hofbrau will be either Guinness or Newcastle Brown. Obviously, the Guinness won.

I asked the barmaid for a glass, did I get a pint glass? Course not, she gave this comic book pilsener glass that might hold 6 ounces or something. What's that about? Again, we'll make due. The beer pours out quite dark and the liquid texture is on the thick side. Perhaps you're thinking this is a heavy-tasting beer. Aroma, however, may make you reconsider. I pick up some faint roasted malt, but not as much as the dark color would implicate. The head appears after the beer is poured, in a bottom-up fashion. Maybe one finger or so, and kept a layer across the top all the way to the bottom. Wonderful lacing down the side, I used the empty glass as an example to show my wife what 'lacing' meant. She was dutifully thrilled if nothing else. A fine woman, my wife, but that's another review...

The taste, while in my book underachieves the first impression left by the darkness and head, is a stalwart in this particular beer style. It is a benchmark of sorts, and also an entry point for many who want to try dark beers - save the Expedition for another day.

Noticeable roasted grain taste, heavier than normal mouthfeel, but not overwhelming in flavor, bite, alcohol. The nitro effect certainly softens up the mouthfeel as you would expect, I would like to try this in another format beside nitro bottle. Just a slight hop feel at the end, keeping in step with the malt level. Taste-wise, it's not over the top, but it *is* most tasty and a very drinkable beer.

3.91/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The legend. It pours pitch black with a decent creamy head. Head dies down a bit but a nice float remains which laces the glas just beautifully. smells of malt and a nice roasted scent but nothing stong. the taste is a mild roasted malt flavour with a hint of coffee and the mouthfeel is a lovely creamy texture that coats your mouth. The drinkability as far as taste goes is great, but they do ten to fill you up a bit. I also love them floated over a nice cider or brown ale. I've had them in the nitro cans also which were pretty good (not as good as beamish) and the bottles which i felt were very un-impressive (way to watered down). on tap is the only way to have it.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

A big change this beer has taken me on. Radical, because the first time i brought this stout from the states, in a can, I was seriously disappointed (like 1.0 disappointed). In a recent trip to North Ireland I gave myself a second chance on this stout. On tap, canned, etc. And It was, comparatively, fabulous. I underrated it the first time or did not have the palate for it, but for some reason it just tasted better- the range of flavours, the temperature, the pour- in NI. I became somewhat appreciative of it and, in spite of this lowering when retrying it in Paris, I keep a decent regard to it now, and change my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +30.4%

The pour is just part of the experience, watching that wave of tan rising to the top of the glass. Beer itself is a very dark RED. If you don't believe me hold it up to a very strong light. Very subtle flavors of coffee and chocolate. I feel that this is a very under-rated and malinged beer. The "widget" can gives it almost an identical flavor to draught. I haven't tried the widget bottle, I can't bring myself to drinking it that way. Absolutely Genius!

3.38/5  rDev -2%

First, the bias disclosures - I don't like Nitro dispense. Its right up there with artificial turf, dome stadiums (for football or baseball) and the designated hitter in my book. I'd banish all of them if I could, but sometimes you get stuck somewhere that a Guinness is the only alternative to a U.S. macro lager, so . . .

Pours a nice black with ruby highlights, capped by a picture perfect dense slightly off-white 1/3" cap of foam that goes nowhere throughout the pint. I deduct appearance points because I know the Nitro is responsible rather than the skill of the brewer. [breast implant analogy deleted by Realale in the interest of good taste]

Nose is just a whiff of roasted barley, and a touch of lactic sourness. More complex on the palate, with additional grains supporting the roasted barley, and some bitterness kicking in from the roast barley, and presumedly, some hops. Decent length from the bitterness. Its a simple melody, but its catchy.

The texture of nitro dispensed beers makes me a bit queasy, but that's just me. I'd drink two if there was nothing else, and I really wanted a beer - otherwise I'd be scoping the bourbons and whiskies on offer.

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Deep ebon in color with a small but incredibly creamy head from the nitro glass; the retention is excellent.. The beer roils most impressively when poured from the can, it resembles an avalanche within the glass. The lacing is superior, it leaves a thick unbroken coating on the glass walls that resembles cream.

Aroma: Earthy, smoky malt aroma with hints of bitter cocoa, coffee, and understated citrus hops.

Taste: The taste is dominated throughout by the backbone of roasted malts. At the beginning of the taste there is also a mild caramel note, followed by strong bitter chocolate and coffee notes. The finish is dry with an earthy character.

Mouth feel: Incredibly rich and creamy, difficult to over praise.

Drinkability/notes: Quite nice, I prefer Guinness Extra Stout, but this is better than most of the beer to be had in this world.

2.71/5  rDev -21.4%

So, this is Guinness Draught. Well, it isn't the beer I thought it was. I'm a Guinness newby. I was trying all sorts of beers while ignoring this, the king of stouts. I had a couple many years ago, but now it was finally time to try it again.

Guinness is indeed dark...very dark. So far so good. The nitro bottle pours the beer with a creamy head. I have to say it appears to have been shot from a keg.

The aroma is decidedly faint...roasted malt, vague coffee, maybe a little chocolate out there somewhere. The flavor and mouthfeel are tied, or shackled I should say. I was amazed that this beer is not as strong in its flavor and is almost watery. Now, there's definite flavor. Again it's malty with a very dry finish. However, a good stout, to me, surrounds you. It's not a beer that waits for you to find it. This beer sneaks up on you while you look for it. It's just not all that great.

I acknowledge that I was drinking a nitro bottle, a fantasy, an illusion, a reflection of reality. This isn't a kind review but I am not giving up on Guinness. I am going to try it in all its incarnations before I chuck it. But with all the flavorful stouts out there, we're near the end of the line.

In my opinion the only decent stout beer that is packaged in the nitro can. Appearance is amazing and pours a silky foamy head.

Taste is fantastic, a complex taste that does not leave a bitter aftertaste that is often common with American made stouts. Some have compared the consistency of this brew to motor oil, but I disagree. Since this is a nitro mixture the beer is light, smooth and goes down easy.

Guinnes is my favorite beer. It has a wonderfully complex taste and years of tradtition behind it.

It may be overrated, but really you will be hard pressed to find a better beer unless you are a real snob.

I lament that price I have to pay for it, however, which ussualy leaves me drinking horrible beers like Natural Ice instead of Guiness.

If money is not an issue, you can't go wrong with Guinnes.

3.24/5  rDev -6.1%

I'm giving this beer a second chance because I think the first review I wrote for it was unfair. I will stand by my belief that Guinness is entirely overrated, but that's just because John Q. Beer Drinker gets tickled pink at the sight of an opaque brew. The fact is, Guinness is not a bad beer. I've come to expect more from a stout but it's got a decent flavor and a robust yet refreshing mouthfeel.

HOWEVER, the only reason it should be so famous is because the brewery has such an interesting history.

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%

Argue if you like but I think Guiness Draught on tap pours one of the prettiest pints in all of beerdom. Smell is weak though-light notes of roasted malt there. Taste is the same with a delicate blend of hops and chocolates. Relatively watery finish but body is moderate to slightly heavy. The greatest aspect of Guiness is its availability. With few exceptions you can find it where ever you go and have a half decent beer.

4.23/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorites since I began drinking this in college 5 years ago. There has been a difference in taste in those five years though. Nowadays it seems to be watered down a little but irregardless it's still good. Pours out black with a slight red highlight and a thick creamy tan froth this stays till the very end. The cascading effect is awsome it's something to enjoy every time you see it being poured. Smell of malt, coffee and some chocolate. The taste is similar to the smell malt, coffee and chocolate with a slight nutty twist at the end. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy easy to drink. Even though this has changed since I first began to drink it, I still enjoy it any time of the year.

3.66/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

If it's in a bottle or can it's not a draught...simple. Really dark with red/amberish tint. An earthy malty and peat aroma blends with tea and hops. The heavy extra roasted malt is smoky and thick. Highly hopped with tea-like and metallic bitterness. Strong coffee and a hint of molasses and a trace of camphor round out the flavors. A taste of earthy peat is omni-present. Fantastic beige/tan creamy/frothy head. An Original! But, somehow not as dark or bitter as I remember...

2.88/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pouring the contents of this unique, innovative bottle creates the mythical creamy head and the magical flowing cascade, so favored in the pubs. Or is it just a cheap imitation?
Aroma nicely hints at coffee and cream, and a touch of chocolate, rich and luscious. Small amounts of bitterness,but exceptionally smooth on the tongue. Light body, thin texture, and far too soft for my taste.
It took me a while to understand the supreme appeal of Draught Guinness, for the Extra Stout was my bottle of choice in early days. I did a taste test between the two, and ultimately found that the draught version resembles a chocolate milkshake, or a mocha latte. It's for people who want to go beyond fizzy lagers and such, but don't really want to approach the bold flavors and bitterness in a true stout or porter.

4.56/5  rDev +32.2%

Served black in appearance with a thick creamy light tan head that stays throughout consumption. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Serving temperature was cool. Aroma consisted of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate. Roasted malt and coffee flavors dominate the palate. Dry bitterness lingers in the finish. Guinness on draught is still my number one preference when compared to the nitro can or bottle.

3.41/5  rDev -1.2%

Very nice presentation from the nitro bottle. Pours the cascading style that Guinness prefers to porvide. Very dark appearance with a great big, tan head. Good lacing. The taste is vintage Guinness with the kind of mid bitterness and creaminess that is well known. A godd beer that is a go-to when only macros are the alternative. Smell is not as robust as from the tap.

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

I was told to drink right from the bottle, and I did so. Taste is very chocolate in nature. Somewhat malty, a little less so than the original. I thought I was tasting cocoa at first. Very watered down. The carbonation was pronounced, making it easy to drink. A pretty smooth "stout".

3.81/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I have not had a pint of Guinness is some time and I thought that
St. Patrick's day was a great excuse to retry this classic quaff.

The head was white and thick which is part of the pleasure of a
well served pint. The body was malty and smooth with a hint of
caramel and coffee. The drinkabilty of this beer is what makes
this a perfect session pint to accompany good food and good

I compared this beer against a bottle of Killarney Stout from
Granville Island Proto Tap and I must admit that lacked the full
bodied flavour of the Killarney. It is true that while still a classic
brew there are other newer stouts that have raised the bar on dry

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%

Well, it is St. Patty’s Day isn’t it? – So I must have a Guinness. You cannot beat the appearance of this stout. It really is special and amazing. A midnight opaque black with a huge creamy and cascading tan head.

After having this beer in countless pubs in Ireland and England, in bottles and on tap here in the states, and even sampled after a tour of the brewery at St. James Gate in Dublin, I must say I have a big fondness for this beer. It’s calming and a pleasant palate cleanser. Bitterness is right on with nice roasted grain flavors.

Yeah, It may not be the best stout out there, and the taste may vary from country to country and even from bar to bar, and can sometimes taste weak, watery, light or too bitter sometimes,

I say what the hell, smile… it’s Guinness, and it's good for you!

3.61/5  rDev +4.6%

No where close to on tap. That being said, not too bad. Pours pitch black with a creamy tan head. Not too much going on in the nose. Some roasted malts and caramel, but very faint. Taste is not too bad for a nitro can. Usually they are very metallic tasting - particularly for pub ales, but this didn't real have that quality. Still, not too much flavor. Roasted malts, coffee, and faint chocolate. Silky-smooth mouth feel, medium bodied. Great drinkability due to low abv and low calories. All in all not bad, but I'm starting to get tired of these nitro cans.

1.42/5  rDev -58.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Taste just the same as the draught and can:
Utterly revolting, thin, lightly roasty body meets with rancid bitterness, body is smooth and watery, not really a good example of a stout, although i'm sure once upon a time it was. It has a nice appearance though (deep black colour, with a nice creamy head). But besides that, this is easily the most overated beer on this site and on earth for that matter. Cat piss and vomit in one, the Budweiser of Stouts, gives stouts a bad name.

2.89/5  rDev -16.2%

11.2 oz bottle. "serve extra cold" "drink straight from the bottle"

well i finally tried it. can't see the presentation, which counts for a lot. aromas are severely muted trying to shove the bottle up your own nose. some roasted malt notes. tastes ok, typical guinness flavors of slightly bitterly roasted malts. ok creamy mouthfeel, i guess the widget does an acceptable job of providing the famous texture. scores higher for drinkability; the bottle provides for portability and easy access without needing a glass...and it is pretty easy drinking.

all this said, a sixer of the these 11.2 oz bottles are the same price as a sixer of the 12 oz, tastier, higher ABV extra stout, so why bother? buy the nitro cans and drink it out of a glass, or just go to a reputable pub and get yourself a properly poured pint.

marketing gimmick. but i suppose i'd rather see people drinking this, in the hope it might turn whoever is drinking these nitro bottles onto better and bigger brews.

happy st. patrick's day!

3.86/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap at the Liffey Irish Pub (another new lame Irish joint that counts Killians as Irish), St. Paul, MN...

Proper suspended carbonation, slowly cascading nitro creaminess with a solid hold of the upper head at 3/4 of an inch. Medium dark brown and clearish at the bottom. Slightly yeasty aroma, some sense3 of clotted cream. Milky mouthfeel, mocha java flavors, and a sudued sense of oily bitterness. More roast at the close. Somewhat surprisingly, this hit the spot better than I expected but there are definitely dryer versions of the Irish style. Happy St. Pat's Day...

2.46/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed this on tap, now reviewed on can. Ugh, terrible when compared too nitro tap. Dark red/black colour when poured, with the fluffy cloud head I adore. Smell was similar too burnt toast. Some coffee, roasted malt, something sweet I couldn't put my nose too. Tasted boring. BTW, all 4 cans are gone. Unless I got 4 bad cans, this is an accurate review. Coffee, toffee, chocolate and more sweet malt, but not as much as from the cask. Terrible mouthfeel. Gritty. Like their was sand in my mug. Or sugar. Yes, it was a clean mug. Because of the gritty mouthfeel, it wasn't very drinkable. Very good on tap, not good from can. I'll try it from the bottle, for no other reason than too collect the cap. An overrated stout. Lacked the silk feeling I got from the cask, which was my biggest dissapointment.

3.74/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: It's a nitro-poured Guinness. How much "prettier" does it get? A head that never quits, classic cascade, liquid black as coal; I can't ask for more as far as looks.

Smell: Burnt coffee and roasted malty notes.

Taste: Slight bitterness after the swallow. Thats the only thing separating this beer from chocolate milk, well, also without any of the heaviness associated with milk. This is a beer you can drink and drink, so it's my Wednesday night drink of choice. Join us at the Half Door if you'd like. We'll be in a booth in the back.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.