Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Guden

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Loads of white creaminess cascade down through the deep dark brown. There are crimson highlights and it is far from opaque but a solid dark brown. A 2 finger rocky off white head sits on top and refuses to fade, leaving nice lacing. I may have had better stouts but none as pretty.

S- A little coffee with lots of chocolate and some bread. Licorice like alcohol shines through a bit as well.

T- Fairly bland for a stout. There is light roasty coffee and a bit of heavily toasted bread, little else. Some bitterness on the tail end from the roasted barley.

M- Seems remarkably thinner than I had expected but still vaguelly cream. Good but nothing outstanding.

D- This is a fairly mild stout (in both alcohol and flavor) but I'd happily have a few and be amazed with the beauty of the pour every time.

09-20-2011 21:46:24 | More by Guden
bullwinkle88

Isle of Man

4.68/5  rDev +34.5%

First off, this is my favorite beer period. So this isn't so much a review as it is a love letter to the sweetest nectar on earth.

A: Incredible. The proper Guinness pour is the stuff of legend. That deep ruby hue and frothy head is the beer equivalent to that famous Farrah Fawcett poster. Every boy's dream.

S: The smell is also extremely satisfying. You get a sense of all the coffee and chocolate notes and its the ultimate preparation for what you're about to dive into.

T: Guinness tastes great. I find it to be an overwhelming barrage of flavors such as the aforementioned coffee and chocolate. Some people like a less dominant flavor in their beers and thus don't care for Guinness. There's nothing wrong with that but for those who like some kick Guinness is simply top notch.

M: The mouthfeel is something I find to be completely unique to Guinness. For a flavor with such tang, the beer is surprisingly smooth and full.

Overalll: Guinness is simply a 5-Star brew that I'll likely never say no to. I order one at least one any night I go out drinking. I've heard the North American Guinness is inferior to the genuine Irish product, and that what we get is actually Guinness "Essence" that is mixed somehow with inferior base ingredients. Even assuming this is true, we have not gotten the shaft. Guinness on draft is still the beer to beat. However I don't care for it as much in canned form, the beer is dependent on the proper pour.

09-19-2011 04:00:13 | More by bullwinkle88
BryanRex

2.68/5  rDev -23%

It's not surprising that a run-of-the-mill product like this fail to impress. Although it pours rich and creamy with a nice off white head, the rest of the experience leaves much to be desired. No smell noted, with a very thin feel that reminds me of drinking a standard American light beer. If not for the appearance, you might as well be drinking Coors Light or Bud light. It's pretty tough to taste the difference, although the mouthfeel is slightly creamier if you really concentrate. Overall, I'd drink this over a standard light beer but it's in the same ballpark. Pretty shabby.

09-19-2011 00:40:51 | More by BryanRex
jcw122

2.65/5  rDev -23.9%

I've had Guiness before from sipping other people's beers, but I finally had the chance to have a full glass of my own. What a disappointment! I would compare this beer to being the Budweiser or Bud Light of "regular" beers, except for stouts. It is very uncomplex, no hoppiness, and tastes fairly close to water. Mind you, I did have this in the U.S. and I hear it tastes different across the pond. I just didn't expect such a lack of flavor!!

09-18-2011 18:00:10 | More by jcw122
jisom123

Indiana

2.68/5  rDev -23%

This beer is the primary reason that people incorrectly associate "Dark colored" beers as "Heavy".

I don't know how many times I've head "It's too dark; I won't like it." When asked why, they always blame Guinness.

O: Smooth refreshing Dry stout with a very predictable taste.

09-08-2011 22:11:39 | More by jisom123
gtermi

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Well the appearance is about as nice as they come. You get the beautiful nitrogen show and then it settles with a dark brown, almost black, body with a nice light tan head.

S: Man this beer smells doesnt have much smell to it. It has some chocolate and coffee with a nice amount of malt.

T: I really enjoy the taste of this beer. It has a nice roasted malt with some earthy tastes. I am also getting some caramel and a lot more malt.

M: This has to be one of the smoothest beers of all time. There is a little bit of crispness, but you hardly notice. Just amazing

O: I know on this site this beer doesnt get great reviews, but man it is very tasty to me. I find it to be easy to drink, tasty and easy to find. This isnt the best stout on the market at all, but this is a nice beer.

09-07-2011 07:05:45 | More by gtermi

Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 11.2 oz. nitro bottle
Glassware: Tulip pint
Purchased: Gift from a neighbor

This one was brewed in Dublin according to the bottle.

A: Tan, creamy head of 2 fingers sits on a black beer. There's a little bit of clarity revealing brown-red highlight on the edges of the glass. The head has good retention and lacing.

S: Clean aromas feature toasted malts, dark bread and chocolate.

T: Taste is pretty much all of roasted barley, that has a kind of burnt character which is a bit harsh, as in the bitterness of coffee.

M: Body is light-to-medium and carbonation seems low, possibly due to the nitrogen content. Finish is dry, with the roasted coffee flavors lingering.

O: Overall an OK beer.

09-05-2011 23:27:31 | More by sommersb
cmq103

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from a Pub Draught can into a Duvel Belgian Tulip glass.

Appearance: Nice dark black pour with a healthy 3/4" foamy beige head. Excellent lacing as the glass emptied. I really do love the way the beer cascades after the pour. Not quite the same as a nitro-tap, but not bad coming from a can. After having the draft, can and bottle version, the draft is by far the superior of the three, followed by the nitro can, then the bottle. This beer must be poured into a glass to enjoy.

Smell: Light chocolate, caramel, malty aroma with a hint of vanilla.

Taste: A watered down mild, moderately sweet chocolate, caramel beverage. Lacks the taste and finesse of a true stout. Very mild flavor. Once would think that this beer would be heavy by the dark appearance, but oh contraire...

Mouthfeel: Thin and watery, yet still able to grasp a mild creamy texture. Very light, if not almost non-existent, carbonation. Light body for sure. There is no denying this is a 4.2% ABV dry Irish Stout.

Overall: A decent session beer for the mild stout lovers. I could easily have a half a dozen of these in a sitting without worrying about the ABV since it is so low. I would much rather have a Guinness before any of the other mass-marketed light beers out there.

09-03-2011 03:02:59 | More by cmq103
FUNKPhD

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Guinness is a staple, its been around for hundreds of years, everyone needs to try it.

The proper dispensing of Guinness is a rather lengthy process compared to most other beers you get from a tap. Once you get it and have it in front of you, you have a good looking beer, and it seems evident why its been brewed for so long. Nice creamy head goes well with the dark body. That said, the smell and taste are about the same creamy, malty coffee taste. Unfortunately, something seems to be missing with Guinness, body. As dark as this beer is, its like water in my mouth. I would have appreciated more of a presence.

All in all, if you don't want Budweiser, or Coors Light, or Miller Lite, this is definitely a welcome beer.

08-31-2011 01:41:43 | More by FUNKPhD
theRooster90

Indiana

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Guinness was the first beer I had outside of the norm or Bud light etc.

A: Dark with a very thick caramel creamy looking head.

S: Malt, molasses, coffee

T: Not as much carb as I had hoped but not horrible. Not a whole lot of flavor going on here but hints of chocolate, malt, and coffee.

M: Again, little carb, creamy yet light.

O: Sessionable to an extent. A good choice at a bar that doesn't have anything other than B/C/AB

08-30-2011 22:36:39 | More by theRooster90
mocktm

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

Guinness is without a doubt one of the beers that really got me into beer. I started drinking it in high school, sipping it down while most of my buddies were gulping Millers and PBR. While I don't really ever buy it now, having discovered much heartier and tastier stouts, I'll pretty much always still be a fan. Review based on a nitro-pour from Buckley's lat night.

Pour is black, but if you look really closely, you can pick out some red highlights around the edges, meaning this black is really a deep dark brown. Beige colored and incredibly creamy head as always.

The smell is really not impressive, excessively subtle malt presence, giving off the slightest hints of chocolate. Almost smells like chalk.

Taste is just as bland, watered down malt chocolate with hints of bitter coffee. Flavors are barely detectable, especially at the temperatures that this usually gets served.

Creamy in consistency and slightly chewy, but for a stout, this is pretty light. My friends who know nothing about beer seem amazed that I can drink four of these "thick and heavy beers."

I'm not sure which has changed, me or this beer, but its probably both. My fond memories of this brew don't draw it in such a bland and watery light. I'm really disappointed this took such a nose dive in the quality department, but I suppose its good to have at bars that have no better options.

08-30-2011 14:36:34 | More by mocktm
dmcbeerington

1.35/5  rDev -61.2%

First, I am not an expert on beer, but I do love beer and drink and enjoy them a lot.

A: It looks dark, just like coffee with some redish. I like the color, since it remind me of red wines.

S: It smells like carbonated-chocolate, not good smell.

T: It tastes bitter and watery. It is horrible. I rather drink water than it.

M: I really don't know how to say it, but it tastes like bitter medicine which my mom used to force me to drink when I was a kid. It is horrible.

O: The worst beer I have ever encountered. I have signed up here because I want to write a review of this horrible beer.

There is only little tiny beer taste to this stout. It doesn't taste something more than bitter, and is similar to Chinese medicine with straight ingredients. I tried to like it, but since I have already tried 4 cans and I can't even finish 25% of them. I have no choice but to hate it.

The last bad beer I tried is Budweiser, King of Beer; although bad, I can still manage to finish the whole can. This guinness is definitely not something I want to even touch in the future.

Serving type: can

08-25-2011 02:37:08 | More by dmcbeerington
nickthetick

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Pours an opque black into a Chimay goblet with a beautiful hockey puck tan head that sticks around for the experience and leaves some nice lacing.

S: weak but noticeable dark malt, coffee, and smokey.

T: once again a bit weak but noticablle smokey malts, dark roast coffee, and bitter dark chocolate.

MF: smooth, light body, and a bit dry on the end.

O: a classic and iconic beer that doesn't seem as great once your palate developes a bit, there are many better irish dry stouts but still not a bad dry stout.

08-25-2011 02:34:37 | More by nickthetick
Converge

Alberta (Canada)

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

16oz serving, served way too cold.

A - Small, creamy beige head a top a near black beer with slight amber highlights. Not much for the head, but I would fault the pour for that. Fantastic lacing.

S - Mainly roasted malt, with a touch of cream and milk to it. Almost nothing at first due to it being served too cold. As it warms I can detect espresso, slight milk-chocolate sweetness and a lot of black licorice.

T - Again, mostly roasted malt with a strong cappuccino flavor as well. Milk chocolate is also detectable, and it finishes with a light bitterness from the roasted malt.

M - Little carbonation, with a creamy, yet thin body.

D - A classic. Always good, but probably could have been served a bit better tonight. When everything else on tap is fizzy and yellow, I know what I'm getting.

08-24-2011 07:05:35 | More by Converge
jayhawk73

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours black w/ chocolate head that quickly goes away. Minimal carbonation and lacing. Guinness Draught smells fairly thin, w/ roasted malt, a hint of chocolate and bitter coffee. Taste is even thinner, w/ the same flavor as the nose profile. Mouthfeel is super thin, and probably the weakest part of this beer. Pretty dry as well. Overall, I can't recommend this beer to anyway, lots of better options out there for the style. Cheers.

08-22-2011 22:17:33 | More by jayhawk73
tdm168

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a deep, dark brownish black with a reddish hue. There's about 1/2" of head with great retention. Smells of roasted malts. Tastes of roasted malts with a smokiness to it. There's also just a hint of chocolate. Mouthfeel is rather light, thin, and flat, but smooth.

I'm not a huge fan of this classic. I like the other stout offerings from Guinness better.

08-13-2011 21:58:07 | More by tdm168
IronCitySteve

2.85/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Pours a viscous dark brown almost black color. Provides a thick 2 finger off white foam head. There was some spotty lacing.

S: There is some mild chocolate and earthy hops. Not much else going on here. Rather unimpressive.

T: Starts and ends the same way from beginning to end. Some chocolate, burnt coffee, vanilla and roasted barley. Not overly complex but with a decent amount of flavors.

M: Slightly slick and creamy. Not as dry on the palate as expected.

O: This is a decent representation of the style. It is better on tap then from the can. Not my first choice of brew for this style, but it is somewhat enjoyable in a pinch.

08-11-2011 23:41:30 | More by IronCitySteve
Pintofbrown

Iowa

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Via a cursory glance of the Guinness website one thing becomes clear: they are the totalitarian beer of the stout world. Without batting an eye, the people of Guinness will tell you exactly how to pour, fawn over, and drink their product.

Although a fledgling beer geek with little in the way of experience with breweries or beer in general, this sailed right past reverence of one’s own product and dry docked at cultish following. Which I suppose is justifiable since Guinness was once supposed to be established as a “cult” brand to increase sales.

Well Guinness, I am going to play the V to your totalitarian regime and give your product the 5th of November in June it rightly deserves.

Appearance: Okay Guinness…So far, I’m buying into your propaganda. The effect of the nitrous pour is pretty fantastic. Watching the bubbles froth and tumble under the swelling head is reminiscent of a rolling thunder head. Definitely makes me want to drink this dark, ruby beauty.

Although, those ruby highlights peeking through the edges of the glass quickly disappear behind the dominating black coffee body. After the fifteen second thunder storm, the head has sustained a thick, two – finger, ashy, off white head. I could cut this thing with a knife. Nice!

Smell: Not much here, it seems the truth is starting to outshine the initial flashiness. Even after getting down to almost nose - in - foam level, there is just the slightest hint of toasted malt. Maybe, MAYBE a hint of dark coffee in there, this is weak. Such an intimidating look needs a stronger nose.

Taste: It’s a rather underwhelming experience on the palate. For those who are only used to standard 4 tap, macro brew fare, it will definitely be a change of pace, but outside of that, there is very little to get excited about. A few quick sips give a stronger impression of the toasted malt. The swallow brought the bitterness of the beer to the forefront and also presented coffee and vanilla notes.

There’s also a musty note to the flavor as I sip, that earthy ground coffee flavor. Overall though, it’s a quick trip from burnt malt to a bitter lingering. The bitterness isn’t overpowering, but it sits on the tongue for awhile after the drink. Not necessarily a bad thing, but doesn’t add to the experience either.

Mouthfeel: It is certainly not as, well, stout, as it should be. You expect a full, chewy mouth to finish on a beer like this, but it’s a medium to thin finish. Not very dry either.

Overall: Guinness is by no means a bad beer, but it definitely doesn’t deserve the cult status and reverence that Guinness would make you believe it does. Everything about this beer is on the weak side. It’s like the brewery had an okay to solid stout recipe and decided to water it down, a heinous crime to say the least.

This baby just begs for a nose and flavor that matches the imposing and impressive look of the beer. Without any back bone, at best, it’s a beer you could turn to after you’ve had some of the stouts that are worthy of the reverence that Guiness wishes it deserved.

08-10-2011 16:35:47 | More by Pintofbrown
soju6

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Served a virtual black color with a thick creamy head and lots of lacing.

S: Aroma is of roasted malt, coffee and a hint of bitterness.

T: Taste of roasted malt, coffee, a bit of sweetness and a nice bitterness through to the finish which is quite dry.

F: Fairly light bodied, creamy and smooth, well balanced.

O: When Guinness is fresh on tap it is "spot-on" as they say. It is an original to which all others are compared to. Common in most pubs in England.

08-05-2011 13:51:57 | More by soju6
BEERME528

Missouri

3.1/5  rDev -10.9%

You really need to have a particular craving and style to enjoy this. It sees like a beer that many people either love or hate. I am on the fence and would probably only order it on St. Patrick's day. The taste just seems somewhat boring to me and not very great. Regardless, the beer is one of the best went it comes to appearance. The name, color, and head give it a very distinguishing look that makes drinkers look sophisticated. The appearance and name is the only reason why I would ever drink it.

08-04-2011 20:56:53 | More by BEERME528
rodney45

NOTE: This review is from a 14.9 oz nitrogenated can.

A Very dark red, like a fire in the middle of a moonless forest. Creamy thick head

S Sour malty smell. Has an aroma of camp fire and evaporated milk.

T A rush of burnt malts hits my palate, more burnt then roasted, but not in a bad way. The second notes are a smooth but sour dextrose, like heavy cream, but lighter. The finish is an after taste of chestnut and pecan.

M very smooth and silky, very dextrose feeling. Goes down like a great stout should. Head stays around the duration of the drink, so you get a nice smooth caress on your upper lip.

O: The quiticential stout. Honestly, this is great out of the nitrogenated can. I was really skeptical that it wouldnt be like the real draft, but it is just like im sitting in my local favorite bar, except im at home, in my underwear

07-30-2011 10:14:17 | More by rodney45
thehyperduck

Ontario (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Haven't had this one in a while but I've always been a little fond of it. Is it as good as I remember? Pours black as night with one finger of head that gradually grows to two as bubbles settle out of the liquid. This puffy tan head lasts for most of the drink. Love the way this stuff looks but the smell has always seemed boring to me; roasted malts with a bit of chocolate.

Taste is of bready, burnt roasted malts without much to support it. Starts off a bit sweet but finishes dry; I've always appreciated this balance. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Ridiculously smooth mouthfeel, like silk. Light-medium bodied with very little carbonation.

I used to think this was one of the finest beers ever but I think my tastes have shifted slightly. I'd certainly never turn one down, but it just seems a little...flat. One note flavour, but if roasted malts and nitro smoothness are your thing, this delivers.

[Updated Dec. 13 2013]

From notes; on-tap at Paddy Flaherty's on Dec. 7th - I hadn't had it in a few years so why not? Guinness seems to be the sort of beer that people either really love or vehemently hate, but I fall somewhere between the extremes. It's not a masterpiece, but it goes down smoothly and quickly. I won't always take this over a macro lager, but it's a nice alternative that occasionally is worth the price bump.

Final Grade:

07-30-2011 04:13:20 | More by thehyperduck
Mora2000

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a tan head. The aroma is dry, light roasted malt and chocolate. The flavor is roasted malt and some chocolate, as well as a little bit of dark fruit. The mouthfeel is where I really have a problem with the beer. I am not a fan of nitro beers, which almost always taste watered down to me. The mouthfeel is thin to medium.

07-28-2011 02:46:17 | More by Mora2000
Whobody

Colorado

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

A- can poured into tall glass. Nice silky, black color with a tall, light brown head. Very fluffy. Guinness pours with the best of them.

S- roasted malt in the nose. Slightly sour. Hard to detect any hop at all

T- Again, roasted malt dominates. Slight bitterness in the finish. Little to none alcohol present. Slight sourness. Looks more intimidating than the taste actually is.

M- Sliky and smooth. A little watery. Slight bit of tingling from the bittering hops at the finish.

O- Guinness is a great stout for those willing to try a heavier beer than they would normally enjoy. Not too harsh, not a ton of alcohol, just a smooth, easy drinking stout w/ a cool nitro cartridge in the can for extra head. I recommend it.

07-27-2011 02:19:55 | More by Whobody
spitInTheOcean

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

smell is mild. smells of roasted barley, but also a corn-like sweetness.

jet black color. opaque. tan-brown, thick, long lasting head.

tastes like roasted malts, an acidic sourness. thats about it. big roasty malt flavor. there is also a very subtle hop bitterness in the finish. the flavor of roasted malts lingers on the palate long after the finish.

this is a very soft beer with low carbonation, and the nitrogen does lend it some creaminess. overall though this beer is thin.

overall i know my scores suggest i like this beer, but i dont think i do. i buy and drink it because everyone i know likes this beer. i think its light. a stout should not be sessionable. thats just my opinion. and what is more sessionable than 4.2% abv? i say a stout should be a meal in a glass. the old liquid bread. this is not liquid bread.

07-25-2011 03:09:08 | More by spitInTheOcean
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.