Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
chefelf

2.68/5  rDev -23%

I bought some regular Guinness Draught for our St. Patrick's Day gathering and used it primarily to make Black & Tans with. I did drink one on its own and I've never been a huge fan. Guinness Draught always has a blank taste to me, if that makes any sense. It just tastes like there's something missing, something that didn't make it into the recipe for some reason.

This review is probably not helpful at all but that's the only way I can think of putting it. Also, if you're looking at Beer Advocate there is a very strong possibility you don't need another review of this hugely famous and popular beer.

My prediction is this: this review will not change the world in any way.

03-20-2011 22:26:10 | More by chefelf
blackcrow911

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

The very first stout I have ever had, and I was not to impressed with it.

A - Black, with a creamy head. Watching beer do its thing after you poured it was the best part.

S - Slight coffee and booze.

T - The taste I was able to get was a slight hint of coffee, other than that it was bland.

D - Very easy to drink.

03-20-2011 09:42:00 | More by blackcrow911
travis3113

British Columbia (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

My very first drink of a draught beer and I have to say I wasn't impressed. Appearance was quite enticing, and it poured nicely, other than the oversize head. Speaking of which, it was very creamy looking with very tiny bubbles, if any at all. The beer itself is very dark, and smells of roasted chocolate. My first drink was actually quite tasty, but every one after all i could get was the bitterness, which isn't pleasant at all. All in all, there are better stouts and draughts out there.

03-19-2011 19:57:53 | More by travis3113
morebeergood

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up a six pack for some post-St. Patrick's Day drinking. Even though I know it says drink from the bottle, I poured it into Guinness glass anyway. Dark black color with garnet highlights. Huge creamy white head. Surging carbonation. It's a good looking beer, no doubt. Smell was very mild, mostly cocoa. Taste was fairly bland. Some roasted malt, coffee notes and a hint of chocolate. But just very watered down tasting. Also, the body was very thin for a stout. An easy beer to drink due to it's mildness and low abv, but kind of boring. I would much rather prefer to have this on tap somewhere than out of a bottle again. Flavor and body seems to be better on tap.

03-19-2011 04:16:07 | More by morebeergood
Genuine

Connecticut

2.3/5  rDev -33.9%

Drank from the bottle, as described by the bottle itself.

Since it is guinness, it is pitch black with slight red hues when held to the light.

Smell - burnt toast, some roasted malts.

Taste - not a whole lot going on. Very light and lacking flavor till the finish, where the faint flavors of guinness come out.

Mouthfeel - medium, hardly any carbonation, kinda chewy. I enjoyed the mouthfeel on this one.

Overall - i wasn't Impressed. I was hoping that it could have competed with the likes of brooklyne BCS, Yeti, etc...but this one let me down. The rocket widget idea is pretty nifty at best. I guess it's a good beginning stout.

03-19-2011 03:31:13 | More by Genuine
spinrsx

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

440ml Can - for St Patrick's day

Appearance - Opaque black/brown colour with an average size creamy light brown/beige coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some very nice lacing running in stages down the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - chocolate, malts, coffee, metallic, smoky/roasted notes

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a very low amount of carbonation and most of the taste consists of chocolate, coffee and malts. There are also smoky/burnt notes mixed with a slight metallic flavour. It finishes with malty slightly smoky aftertaste.

Overall - Although not my favourite beer, it definitely is a great beer for the style. I feel like I could drink a whole bunch of these throughout the course of an evening. I'm sure I'll buy it again at some point.

03-18-2011 18:44:44 | More by spinrsx
SkunkWorks

2.63/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a Guinness glass. Its Saint Patrick's Day and this is the obligatory Guinness.

Look: actually, a decent looking beer. The nitro bottle effect is a fairly nice one. Black body with a thin, creamy layer of foam that looks gray with some brown. It retains well but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell: hmm, nothing here really. A little bit of roastiness but not a whole lot else.

Taste: tastes like watered down Guinness Extra Stout, which some might say is a bad thing but I think it is an improvement, since Guinness Extra Stout is one of my most despised brews. Light roasted malt flavors but none of the potent chocolate or coffee flavors you would expect from a stout. Very light on flavor.

Feel: surprisingly thin, moderately carbonated, and (thankfully) no taste lingers after drinking.

Drink: even though it doesn't impress in any way, it is still a drinkable brew. I even had a second pint. Sorry, fellow beer geeks. I've let you down. Since drinkability is no longer a score, I am bumping the mouthfeel score up from 2.5 to 3.0 to reflect the ease of drinking.

Overall: I really don't like Guinness. Extra Stout is one of my most despised beers. Budweiser may suck but at least it is neutral. Aside from the dirty feeling you get from supporting such an unethical company, it doesn't offend your palate quite so much since its pretty much water. Not so with the macro-ale that is Guinness, which is foul. However, at least they watered it down for me a little bit with Guinness Draught. Cheers!

03-18-2011 13:52:17 | More by SkunkWorks
doktorhops

Australia

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

My goodness my Guinness! It's the beer that started it all for me back when I was 18. Before then beer was Toohey's or Victoria Bitter and tasted like regurgitated vomit (still does for me in regards to VB). I've been holding back on reviewing this since my ancestors are Irish and a piece of me never left Dublin back in 2001 but I feel it's time to be objective and rate this as it should like every other beer.

Poured from a 440ml nitro can into a 568ml Guinness pint glass. Now I want to make one thing clear: Guinness is at it's best when served from a tap, very slightly chilled, in a local pub in Dublin - outside of this, as is the case here, you end up with a shadow of the glory that is Guinness.

A: Deep ruby red body that appears jet black for all intents and purposes. With a 1.5cm white head that leaves rings as it goes down, Guinness has the appearance of a quintessential Irish Stout.

S: It's a very faint smell of roasted chicory, grain and just a hint of caramel.

T: Very much in line with the aroma we have a front note of roasted chicory, the barley comes through mid-palate, and finally some bitter coffee back notes. It's not a big stout for body or flavour though as I've always found it easy to put away a pint in two big gulps.

M: Watery, much more than I remember it to be from years back... I think somewhere along the line in the last 10-12 years the recipe has changed and as a result the mouthfeel has suffered. Very low on the carbonation scale.

D: Still quite easily one of the most drinkable beers on earth. I've had many a nights misspent in Irish pubs during my formative years taking down pint after pint till my wallet was sore and I do not regret a single bit of it. Yes it has changed somehow over the years and isn't as good as it used to be but I still love the "black stuff".

Food match: Irish stew, potatoes and indeed Guinness pie goes down a treat too.

03-18-2011 07:46:08 | More by doktorhops
UCLABrewN84

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%

On tap at BJ's in Valencia, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a 1 inch dense foamy tan head that fades to a small cap. Thick and sticky ring lacing on the drink down. Smell is not impressive with watery dark malt and stale coffee. Tastes of roasted malt and watery coffee. Very thick and creamy mouthfeel. Overall, I wouldn't drink this very often. I guess I sort of was obligated to try it on tap for St. Patrick's Day.

03-18-2011 04:51:40 | More by UCLABrewN84
Rayek

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap on St Patrick's Day and consumed by an Irishman. Pretty stereotypical, eh? I can't believe I've never written a review of this.

Served in a shaker pint glass, the beer arrived near black with an appropriately dense cream head. The head sticks around all the way down the glass and leaves good lace. Coffee and Espresso notes fill the nose, plus a little bit of grass/moss. Lots of roasted malt and coffee flavors make up the flavor. A hint of charcoal is there too. Dry finish. The body is quite light with just the right amount of carbonation. This is the perfect social stout. I honestly prefer Murphy's over Guinness, but I'm pretty happy overall.

03-18-2011 04:43:57 | More by Rayek
BEERMILER12

Maine

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Standard Guinness look. Pitch black pour, very thick finger and a half's worth of head

S: Bitter chocolate and some malt for the most part

T: Same as the smell with the addition of coffee. Pretty dry, but not overly so

M: Heavy body with little carbonation. Pretty smooth, but definitely drying

O: An easily drinkable stout at 4.2%, but it isn't packed with flavor by any stretch of the imagination

03-18-2011 01:29:18 | More by BEERMILER12
GarthDanielson

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, the beer pours a ruby-highlighted black with a creamy, chunky, milk-chocolate colored head. The beer leaves a great lacing on the glass as the head cascades dowwn to it's final one inch standing. Creamy sweet nose, with hints of chocolate and coffee. Very subtle aromas. The beer has a subtle dark malt sweetness to it, with flavors of dark molasses and caramel, with hints of chocolate. This is quickly followed by bitterness from coffee flavors as well as a slight hop influence. Creamy in mouth, with a smooth body. Very slight coffee and chocolate flavors on the aftertaste, with a rather quick finish. Very drinkable, and very easy to drink "en masse."

03-18-2011 01:22:20 | More by GarthDanielson
buschbeer

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

11.2oz bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It pours almost black. It has three to four inches of creamy tan head.

S - I get light roasted malt with some hints of chocolate and coffee.

T - It tastes of sweet roasted malt. Rather bland overall.

M - The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

D - I don't drink a lot of this stuff because it is a little boring. It pours beautifully but that's the highlight.

03-17-2011 23:55:56 | More by buschbeer
metter98

3.45/5  rDev -0.9%

A: The beer is very dark amber (approaching near black) in color and poured with a finger high creamy beige head that died down but has excellent properties and consistently covered the surface. Watching the cascading bubbles after the initial pour is always a spectacle.
S: There are faint aromas of roasted malts in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste isn't very strong but has flavors of roasted malts along with some hints of chocolate and coffee. Hints of bitterness are present in the finish.
M: It feels light-bodied, creamy and smooth on the palate. There is some dryness in the finish.
D: This beer goes down very easily and is very sessionable, especially considering its low alcohol content.

Note: I also had this on nitro-tap at The Wellington in Dublin, Ireland on 6/21/14 and the beer didn't seem nearly as as dry and also seemed to be a little sweeter compared to the version exported to the United States.

03-17-2011 02:58:04 | More by metter98
KYBrewgrass

Kentucky

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

A- 5 This poured a pitch-black color. It has a thick, ultra-smooth foamy off-white one-finger head. It looks very inviting, like dessert. The head remains throughout the drink and laces the edges of the glass with each sip. Active, tiny brown bubbles race upward toward the foam with the slightest movement. Great-looking stout.

S- 3.5 Smells like dark malt and faint chocolate. It has a creaminess to it as well, almost like milk. The scents come together but it isn't as inviting as its appearance.

T- 3.5 Guinness' smell is indicative of its taste. It has a very mild cocoa sweetness that turns to a dry, creamy-taste. There is a metallic aspect in its finish that is not appealing. Maybe this is the can? I've had Guinness on tap plenty, and don't remember this issue, but it's been awhile... I will look for this next time I get the chance.

M- 3 Much the opposite of its appearance, Guinness is actually quite light in body for a stout (medium-light overall), and borderline watery. Granted, it goes down easily, but it doesn't have the creamy or carbonated mouth feel that I wanted and anticipated going in.

D- 4 Despite its shortcomings, Guinness is a faithful choice at many an otherwise limited selection bar and retailer. It is a very drinkable stout and there is a reason it has been around as long as it has. It is a must-try for all beer drinkers young and old. I'm sure I'll encounter it much more in the future and I'll welcome it as I know I will be getting a consistently satisfying product.

03-17-2011 02:32:47 | More by KYBrewgrass
Star80

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours out a blackish color with a tan head. Does that weird but neat cascade thing, suppose that is worth some points there. Smells faintly smokey and mildly astringent. Taste is smokey, mildly bitter tobacco leaf, some very faint flat beer flavors likely from pasteurization. Jeez, why pasteurize? Anyway, that in fact is probably what kills this beer in the flavor department, but I admit it is still quite smooooth and creamy. Anyway, not a hugely inspiring brew but could go well with a pub burger, or better in yet, in my corn beef recipe.

03-17-2011 01:23:12 | More by Star80
Motladiwa

Indiana

3.2/5  rDev -8%

I think that when it comes to drinking draft beer one should always consider the source and by that I mean the establishment that is serving it. Drinking one now from nitro draft poured into an imperial Guinness pint glass.

A- What I would expect from an Irish Stout. Almost black but when held up to light it reveals a ruby red. Nice head that looks like heavy whipped cream. Great cascade that undulated through the glass as it settled.

S- Lightly roasty with faint bitter chocolate.

T- Watered down lightly roasted coffee, similar to reusing coffee grinds to make a second or third pot, with a touch of creamy caramel.

M- Smooth and light in body. Not what I would expect from a stout but it is an Irish stout and nothing like an American or Scandinavian. Not too sticky on the palate and leaves hints of roasted caramel and chocolate.

D- Very drinkable. With a 4.2abv and light texture it confuses me when people say they don't like dark beer but they start everday with coffee.

Guinness is really nothing special but with great marketing it connects the world to Ireland. It is definitely not one of those beers that when I enter an establishment I wonder if it is going to be available.

03-16-2011 16:19:51 | More by Motladiwa
ObeerwanCO

Colorado

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%

I like watching the beer waterfall in my glass after pouring. Once the action settled down, a nice creamy head was left on top the very dark brown beer.

The smell is light. I get a whiff of roasted grain and that's about it. The taste is watery, though you can still taste roasted grain somewhat. It also has a little sourness to it. Not too much from the hops on this one.

Overall, this isn't the best of stouts, but it looks good and is easy to drink.

03-16-2011 01:02:59 | More by ObeerwanCO
ruffbrew

Washington

3.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Almost no aroma, slight amount of chocolate malt hints.

Black color but can see small amounts of dark red when held up to light.

Smooth and thick mouthfeel that is hardly carbonated, its more foamy and stays on sides of glass

Roasted chocolate and dry bitterness, subtle flavors.

Easy to drink when the foam lowers, and its much better on tap.

Serving type: can

03-16-2011 00:40:05 | More by ruffbrew
GeoJ

1.02/5  rDev -70.7%

I love me a Guinness on tap, to the point where I'll pay a pretty steep price for a pint at my local hippie bar that knows how to pour one correctly. (And they even draw a cool little shamrock on the foam).

I love savoring a pint or two with some good friends, some good pub grub, or just nursing a couple because they just taste so damn good.

That being said: Just what in the HELL is this shit? Tried a can at home, foolishly thinking I could maybe, just maybe, recreate some of the joy I get from a real Guinness on tap.

I've nothing to add to the other "F" reviews other than to say this swill is total crap, a waste of money and a blight on the name of Guinness.

03-15-2011 00:29:25 | More by GeoJ
legatovibrato24

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance
Got to love the cascading effect when poured from the can. When held to the light it is a dark ruby in color, not even close to the black that it appears in a dimly lit bar. One finger meringue like head after the cascade settles.

Smell
Very weak nose of roast and malt. Really not much else there.

Taste
Nowhere near the full flavor and body you would expect from a dark stout. A bit disappointing in terms of the strength of the flavors. The subdued flavors of coffee, roast and chocolate are barely detectable. Almost like a watered down Foreign Extra. Great flavors just nowhere close to the intensity I would want.

Mouthfeel
Thanks to the nitro can there is an amazingly smooth feel with no carbonation bite. However the body is very thin and weak.

Drinkability
Easy to drink but is in a category in which some of the best don't typically tread in the territory of awesome drinkability.

03-14-2011 03:23:15 | More by legatovibrato24
AdamBear

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

A-dark brown, almost black with a creamy grayish tan head. it has that beautiful slow cascade effect. the head when settled is truly unique. the head stays and creates a nice lacing.

S-smells great, there's definitely some chocolate and dark roasted coffee. it is a very weak scent though.

T-has a very creamy but watery taste of coffee. has a slightly dark roasted coffee flavor at the end. there's a very weak after-taste of coffee. it isn't the best stout, but it is definitely a decent drinker.

M-very creamy with little carbonation.

D-well as far as common beers go, this is about as drinkable as it gets. it doesn't go down extremely quickly, but i could drink this all night long.

03-13-2011 20:55:48 | More by AdamBear
brewballer

Wisconsin

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Guinness is a beer that I can definitely drink a ton of in a sitting, but the nitro-can is probably the worst way of serving it. The beer seems to be lighter in color for some reason, and just doesn't have the smoothness and mouth feel of getting out of a tap. It still has nice lace on the side of my glass, but I have yet to pour a Guinness that doesn't Over all this is an average beer in a sup bar container. I'll be sticking to tap from now on, or bottles if I haven't a better option.

03-13-2011 19:23:36 | More by brewballer
daveo876

2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

Review is based on serving type: nitro-bottle (US)

An embarrassment to the true guinness draught experience. Nitro-bottle should be discontinued. The nitro-can does a satisfactory job in replicating the keg-draught version of the beer found is bars. The nitro-bottle does not.

Resembles Guinness Extra Stout much more than Daught:
Appearance: looks identical to Guinness Extra Stout when poured into a Sam Adams glass. Head is brown with large standard beer CO2 bubbles, nothing like nitrogen draught white frothy head
Smell: Subtle
Taste: Smooth... but watery and unpronounced compared to bar version
Mouthfeel: Worst part of experience. The nitrogen feel of the guinness draught (creaminess) is absent. Resembles a flat "light beer" stout feel.

Again,
I am a fan of Guinness Draught but the nitro-bottle does not work. Gimick. Buy in nitro-can or only allow it to be a special treat at the bar.

03-12-2011 10:13:01 | More by daveo876
flyingspatula

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Rich black beautiful, with a very lovely off-white head

Smell: Very nice aroma! Coffee/chocolate type smell.

Taste: Always wonderful.

Mouth feel: Watery for a stout.

Drinkability: Great! One good thing about Guinness is that you can drink a shitload of it!

Guinness is a great beer! I don't normally drink it unless it's on tap, but occasionally I pick a couple up.

03-11-2011 16:40:24 | More by flyingspatula
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.