Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
DioS

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Guinness Draught is the creamy dry stout that I most commonly encounter, and is usually one of the better if not the best beer on tap at pubs with a limited selection of mostly American macro lagers/pils. For this reason I give it special credit--like a trusty friend at low places.

Head is smooth and white while the body very dark though not pitch black. The creaminess from nitro takes a while to settle but ultimately produces a fairly stable foam and fine mouthfeel. There's hardly any smell, maybe a faint smokiness. Clean taste, very light, with only a trace of sweetness. Light coffee and toast throughout. The virtue of this beer lies in the lack of offensive qualities rather than any outstanding taste. The smoothness and lightness make it quaffable.

06-14-2010 21:20:52 | More by DioS
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

Geinness Draught poured black with a good size head. It has a coffee like smell, but its very weak. It taste rather watery, with a little bit of chochlate, and coffee flavors. Very easy to drink, the lightist stout I ever had. Overall this stout is great on a summer day, because its not to heavy, but missing alot for someone looking for a real stout.

06-12-2010 06:10:30 | More by vette2006c5r
brewerburgundy

3.05/5  rDev -12.4%

14.9oz nitro-can, Sam Adams glass, coding but no decipherable freshness dating. What a rip, I thought I was buying 16oz cans. Buyer beware.

Of course, a lovely cascading latte foam transformed into a see-through ruby brown body covered in super fine fluff. It's hard to tell if there are even individual bubbles, there is just a layer of tan stuck to the glass.

The smells are faint and few; metal and roast are just about it. If I'm generous, there is a little bit of dark fruit or berry.

The nitro mutes what is likely an already muted flavor. A little bit of sweeter malt is flattened by the metallic roasted malt. Moderate bitterness seems to come from the roast and I find some toffee.

How do you think the texture of a nitro stout is? Pretty much as smooth as it gets, that how. Texture is nice, but in my opinion the sacrifice of flavor is not.

This is much like drinking second or third runnings off of the mash of a brew; bitter, almost atringent, and very thin. If I'm going to session, I would prefer a pale ale because this embarrasses stouts with flavor.

06-06-2010 20:57:39 | More by brewerburgundy
aasher

4.35/5  rDev +25%

I had this on tap at 9 Irish Brothers pub in West Lafayette, Indiana. They are noted as having some of the best Guinness on tap in the nation.

Appearance: Rich and creamy piling head, about an inch and a half deep, chocolate milkshake like in appearance and tones, smoothly carbonated

Smell: smells of coffee with slight chocolate scents, subtle aromas

Taste: dry and slightly chocolatey, good flavor

Mouthfeel: simply perfect, smooth and creamy

Drinkability: the most drinkable Guinness I've ever had, no where else has compared

Exceptional beer when on a nitrous tap, it puts other Guinness to shame

06-03-2010 02:46:33 | More by aasher
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

0.44l nitro can poured in a chalice

A: Beautiful deep black color with a huge and dense beige head. Great retention but practically no lacings. Guinness trademark, I would say

S: Roasted malts dominates, some notes of coffee and a little bit of grassy hops in the end

T: Dry and bitter, basically. Delicious, nevertheless. Roasted malts dominates its taste, but also reminds me some black chocolate and coffee. Also some fresh grassy hops in the end

M: Light but creamy body, very low carbonation and ABV

D: High. Refreshing beer, after all. The combination of the dry taste, reasonable bitterness and a low ABV makes it a very easy drinking beer. Good black stuff! ;)

06-02-2010 18:58:04 | More by eduardolinhalis
BranfordBound

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

Love Irish stouts, but I rarely get Guinness because of the ridiculous price and lack of flavor, but let's do this:

Pours almost black, a huge off white head forms of small bubbles. I love that waterfall effect! Leaves fantastic lacing, everything true to the style here.

Nose is very muted, I pick up some malts and a slight roastiness, but very muted

Taste is lacking, slight roasted flavor, maybe a hint of chocolate, but very bland.

Mouthfeel is velvety, like a stout, no biting carbonation. Way too watery for my liking.

Drinkability is great, though. Low ABV and light flavor makes it easy to pound, not worth the cost, though. IMO, guinness is the most overpriced beer on the market. Should be $6-7 for a sixer, not $9-10!

05-30-2010 14:13:30 | More by BranfordBound
bundy462

A: Awesome when poured from a nitro bottle, cream to brown to almost black right before your eyes. Nice caramel colored head and lacing that hung around throughout.

S: Chocolate malt domination with maybe some vanilla?

T: Very good, one of my favorite beers. Very sweet and creamy with a dry finish. Chocolate and caramel hints, some nuts, vanilla.

M: Smooth and creamy, silk.

O: High, I can drink these all night.

A great beer off of a nitro tap, not quite as good from the nitro can or bottle.

05-23-2010 03:06:42 | More by bundy462
maximum12

Once again, what to say about a beer that's been a staple for introducing folks to good beer for a generation or more?

Sampled on tap at a pub just across the street from our hotel on London's Hyde Park (Whiskies?). And I hate to say, that this beer isn't any better close to the source of creation than it is in the states. It's a rather thin, slightly bitter, mediocre stout of a beer. If I may offer a humble suggestion, look to Schell's Irish Stout for one that packs taste into the style.

Decent enough beer, but nothing like I recall it from 20 years ago as a pup in the beer world.

05-20-2010 15:24:24 | More by maximum12
Spica66

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

OK, I finally broke down and bought a 12-pack of the these bottles because they were on sale. What a mistake! It tastes like watered-down Guinness. You don't get to see the beer (as my avatar will attest, one of the great things about drinking Guinness). Only 11 oz in the bottle. Was gone after 1.2 sips. I hope that this does not become the way for Guinness in the future...

05-18-2010 19:23:15 | More by Spica66
DerekP

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

I poured the bottle into a nonic pint glass, appropriately.

Looks black with the typical nougat head.

Smells like a mild stout: coffee, roasted malts, far, far away.

Tastes like it's been intentionally watered down to make a MGD 64 drinker feel like they are branching out.

It literally feels like a glass of water.

This is a truly disappointing stout. I watched the "Historic Pubs of Dublin" PBS special today (again) and was inspired to have a good stout or a Guinness. A sad, sad night.

05-16-2010 01:56:24 | More by DerekP
hayes31

3.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Not a fan of the draught bottle. You're missing out on the visual part of Guinness, which is the best part. It's a pretty cool concept, and executed well, but with its inability to be poured into a glass, it's pretty bad. The only thing I like about this is that it tastes like Guinness and you can bring the bottle camping, tailgating, or wherever a glass is inconvenient.

05-14-2010 21:36:25 | More by hayes31
dbossman

Nebraska

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

A: Dark brown with redish tint; appears black from a distance but is really not that dark when looking at it in the light; consistent foamy head that sits nicely on top of the beer--the way it bubbles and foams out of the can is rather unappealing; lacing is solid and consistent

S: A rather decent roasted malt character-subtle but pleasant; hints of oats or other grains, a touch of vanilla perhaps

T: Flavors are rather muted and too subtle; there is a roasted malt character but it just does not hold up ant the watery thinness takes hold; the initial flavors are good but they just don't last as the beer runs down the throat

F: Creamy at first but really quite thin

D: Very drinkable--probably the world's best chugging beer, though I'm not sure if that's a complement. The beer is okay but is rather mundane and boring overall

05-14-2010 02:24:37 | More by dbossman
milesfan76

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

Had on tap at BW-3 Niles. In a pint glass.

A: The famous "Guiness head" of light tan clouds the body of the beer for a minute. Once it settles the body is a translucent reddish black. Head lasts and laces.

S: For all of that head, the scent is kind of weak. What is there is pleasant enough, malty.

T: Malts are upfront. Hops are there but not real strong. Would like a little more flavor but this is good.

M: Here is where this beer suffers. Thin and watery, which I don't mind in other styles but this is supposed to be a stout. Carbonation is almost nonexistent, guess is all went out with that head (and I've noticed the same thing whether it's been nitro or not).

D: Goes down smooth, you can't deny that. If I'm looking for a session beer, this will more than suffice.

I see a lot of mixed reviews for this beer. Not among the greatest, but I enjoy it.

05-13-2010 20:14:36 | More by milesfan76
tykees88

3.2/5  rDev -8%

A- This is one of the coolest looking beers to have on tap. The mocha colored finger head at the top of the glass is beautiful. The lacing left all the way down makes this appear to be a big heavy beer. A very dark brown color.

S- It smells like chocolate malts and is accented by a smokey scent. It smells like it is going to be a very dry beer.

T- Throws me off my chair. This is not what I expected guinness to be. It is light, watery, and unimpressive. The malts are good, and I like the chocolate taste, but the smokiness is lacking and this is too thinned out by water to have anything taste great.

M- Like I said it's very thin. The head is the only creaminess that you're going to get from this. The texture is also chalky and I don't like a chalky watery beer.

D- The low abv is nice, but that is the redeeming factor for drinkability. I know I will have again someday on tap at a true irish pub, but I am not drinking this more than one at a time if any at a time.

05-11-2010 12:39:31 | More by tykees88
BucBasil

South Carolina

2.83/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured from the nitro-can into a pint glass.

A: Appearance is classic Guinness. After pouring, the cascade effect mesmerizes the drinker and eventually creates a beautiful finger thick light tan head that lasts for what seems like forever. The beer is a dark brown with light coming through at the bottom.

S: Smell seems like Guinness, with chocolaty and roasted notes coming through. It's a bit lighter than if it came in a different form, but it's all still there. Creamy, milky cocoa aroma. Classic.

T: Watery at first glance, with little hints of of malt coming though. Finishing with a nice roasted character that doesn't quite compensate for the watery character in the rest of the palate. So water with a roasted bit at the end. Very unlike other forms of Guinness, but still palatable.

F: Very creamy, velvety feeling on the tongue. This is what the nitro can seeks to produce and it hits right on. the body itself however is a bit thin.

D: This was probably altered a bit to get to can form, and although it's drinkable, the lack of flavor just makes me crave a Guinness from the tap. So maybe it did its job in making me want to drink more Guinness, but it fails in that the Guinness I want to drink is not this form of it.

05-09-2010 20:05:27 | More by BucBasil
BricksandPorter

2.45/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Im simply doing this as a measure of thoroughness in my beer drinking. NOTE: I am very displeased about what Guinness has become in America. I still do drink Guinness products (see my review of Guinness Extra Stout) but this swill represents everything wrong with mass produced corporatism in beer brewing. Thats my socio-political rant, now on to the review...

Poured into an american pint glass despite the suggestion on the container to drink directly from the bottle. Funk dat!

Pour - beautiful pitch black and thick like strong coffee. Cascading bubbles and a milky grey-white head that takes years to set and years to reduce.

Smell - fantastic coffee combine with a trademark guinness malt.

Taste - %^&!@!@# - what the hell is this crap? no flavor whatsoever. If I was blind and this beer was flat I would think this was some sort of unsweetened chocolate drink thats been sitting open in the fridge. "Guinness Essence"?!?!?!? Are you freaking kidding me! Bland, unappealing adjuncts, little or no roasted malts, a hint of barley (probably psychosomatic because I want so bad to like this right now). Did they even USE hops? I want my money back...

Mouthfeel - its smooth, its calm, its very safe and it pisses me off. Someone spent alot of time thinking about how to make this appealing to the budweiser and coors lite soaked american palate. The smell is beautiful and classic, the appearance is the same but the taste and body of this thing is a complete farce! Its not bitter - Im the one thats bitter.

Drinkability - its great if you can get passed the populism of it all. Guinness is supposed to be a meal. Its supposed to be an oppurtunity to enjoy a masterful blend of something totally and 100% completely Irish. This swill is what happens when AB and Miller get to decide what beers people like to drink.

FOR SHAME!

05-06-2010 14:14:36 | More by BricksandPorter
animalchin

2.53/5  rDev -27.3%

A - A very bizarre pour - comes out a dark beige foamy character that eventually settles to black (I think) A very creamy head a solid lacing.

S - Malty and soapy.

T- Wet and maybe slightly roasted malts, faint cream. Nothing really. Sensing some burnt tones in the after-taste.

M - The head feels nice for a bit. The body is thin and watery.

D - No reason I'd have another. This was more of an endurance test.

I've come to realize (and this excludes Samuel Adams and the Boston Beer Company) that if a brewery has commercials on cable television - then it's probably a crap brew. Any brewery that markets to it's consumers to drink straight from the bottle - especially a friggen STOUT has a lot of thinking to do.

Put more time into your brew and less time into your marketing. You've clearly generated enough profit to launch massive campaigns - utilize on the product.

04-28-2010 00:38:04 | More by animalchin
beersheppard

3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Long time listener first time caller...

Appearance: widget lends to impressive cascading effect, dark black/brown fades to rich mahogony, with creamy off-white head, great lacing, I think Guinness invented lacing.

Smell: faint maltiness, not very pungent.

Taste: I love Guinness, I think it is a classic. Is it the most complex beer? No. I think it has a great roasty flavor, a little chocolate, with good minerality. Dry as it should be with good flavor.

Mouthfeel: thin, the feel of a Guinness draft, is hard to replicate, head lends some creaminess.

Drinkability: good because it is portable Guinness, I will always prefer the pint at the pub. I think Guinness will always have a place in my heart. I good example of a dry stout. I will definitely purchase again.

04-24-2010 04:43:39 | More by beersheppard
skylab

Louisiana

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%

Overall this was a good beer but I thought the whole nitro-can thing was a little unnecessary. I found it made the beer flat feeling and a little watery tasting. I know it is supposed to mimic the whole tap experience thing but I find the experience lacking. I much prefer the bottled version if drinking it at home.

04-21-2010 21:14:19 | More by skylab
Reaper16

Alabama

2.48/5  rDev -28.7%

12oz. nitro-can served into a pint glass

Pours a solid brown, though it is lighter when held to direct light. The can does an admirably job of approximating the cascading effect that you get to see when drinking a Guinness on nitro-tap. Some bubbles do move upwards and downwards and the head looks great for half of a minute before it settles on a tiny, thin cap that sticks around for the whole drink.

Some roasted barley aroma slowly works its way out of the pint glass and up into my nose. Light flourishes of coffee and Hershey's milk chocolate and an off-putting twang of something metallic. Pretty average stout aroma.

This can, too is very watery tasting. That is the dominant perception of Guinness for me -- watery. The chocolate malt flavors are so sapped of their intensity that they are rendered a weakened mess. This is like drinking an old, poorly-made cup of coffee.

The mouthfeel is not sufficient. The nitro in this can only provides a glimmer of the creamy qualities that a nitro-tap pint of Guinness has. So you get no carbonation but almost none of the benefits of nitro to make up for it. That means that the beer is watery and unsatisfying. Below-average. As far as drinkability goes, I'd rate it to be average given that the flavors here are nothing to write home about. This beer's best use may be as a compliment to vanilla ice cream (but even then there are beers, like Young's Double Chocolate Stout, that are better suited for that task).

I tried two types of Guinness on the night that I took the notes that would become the review that you are reading now: nitro-bottle and nitro-can. Both are below-average beers at best. The nitro-bottle version is flat-out awful. Avoid it at all costs. I found the nitro-can version to be an upgrade, but still the beer is below par. There are much better examples of the Irish Dry Stout style; there is probably a delicious version made right in your neck of the woods, dear reader. Go drink that local dry stout instead.

04-19-2010 16:33:50 | More by Reaper16
dpodratsky3

3.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Doesn't live up to the pour of guinness on draft, has those rising bubbles in that brownish tan head, but it isn't big or thick like it should be, the beer itself is essentially black

S: Mostly just light roasted malt, hint of coffee and dark chocolate, but not super intense, good but not great

T: A little watery in terms of flavor, same basic taste as smell although not as deep as the aroma, never fully goes into chocolate or coffee

M: Lacking, very thin, doesn't help the flavor at all

D: High, but only because it is thin, should be better

Notes: This beer does not live up to the true Guinness on draft, but everyone knows that. Not a bad beer, slightly better than average, but thats it.

04-18-2010 23:18:18 | More by dpodratsky3
NA1NSXR

3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - This beer is certainly a looker. Poured in the the glass there was a cascading flow of sinking nitro which rises again to form a nice creamy tan head. You can get a strong light through its dark appearance and its lacing its picturesque.

Smell - Smells sweet and slightly roasted, with floral/perfume like aroma as well.

Taste - Lightly flavored of roasted malts. Its quite alright but light for the style. Not really any bitterness. I wish there was more taste though.

Mouthfeel - The silkiness of the nitro carbonation is great, but its not backed up by the beer, which is thin and watery. The combined effect is that it drinks as if it was flat. The beer itself needs to be thicker to complement the nitro and its smoothening effect. The way it stands now there is no need for this beer to be any smoother as it is already watery.

Drinkability - For all its faults this is still a very drinkable beer. I think overall it works better in a complementary role with a meal or something better than it stands on its own.

04-15-2010 03:41:14 | More by NA1NSXR
NefariousR

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 14.9oz. nitro-can into a tulip pint glass.

A - No matter what your opinion on Guinness, there's no denying that it puts on quite a show. The effect of CO2 cascading down the sides of the glass as a wonderfully creamy, off-white head forms on top of the brew is mesmerizing every time. The beer itself is an incredibly dark ruby, nearly black.

S - Malty sweetness, and not much else. I can't help but think that the thick, nitrogenated head prevents all the aromas of the beer from coming forth.

T - Malt, with just a hint of roast bite and a slight breadiness. There's a slightly bitter aftertaste.

M - Thin, yet creamy. Barely any carbonation is noticeable, partly due to the masking effect of the nitrogen. A bit on the watery side.

D - This was my first beer, and while I have since moved onto greener pastures, this still holds a special place. No, it's not the best beer in the word -- not even the best in its category (try O'Hara's or Murphy's), but the fact that it's so widely available and ubiquitous insures that it remains a staple of mine. Highly drinkable, and a good beer for enjoying the company of friends.

04-12-2010 20:37:44 | More by NefariousR
BigIrishman

3.18/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Pours very dark with a creamy just off white nitro head. I got to say that when it comes to classy looking beers...this one takes the cake, it literally pours perfect every time.

Smell: Veeeery faint roasted malts, maybe the slightest bit of burnt chocolate.

Taste: Taste is dominated by roasted malts, they are very faint though. There is a touch of bitterness from some mild hops toward the finish of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light, but slightly viscous.

Drinkability: This beer finishes very quickly and is much tastier than drinking a low calorie american adjunct while beating most of them in calories. Not great but I can drink these all day long.

04-11-2010 02:33:36 | More by BigIrishman
sfprint

Germany

4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

The color of this beer I find just amazing. It's so dark as it sits in a guinness glass, with it's beautiful smooth head. Are there bubbles finer than these?

It doesn't smell so much. Slightly malty I suppose.

In contrast to how heavy it looks, it's goes down incredibly smooth and fast. I find it to be the perfect stout, since it's not so heavy. Slightly bitter aftertaste. It's almost like drinking chocolate milk, except it's not sweet or chocolately... hmm.

Smooth smooth smooth!

The drinkability for a stout i'm not sure can be matched. I could drink them all night, and I sometimes do.

July 15th, 2012 Dublin Ireland on tap
A: Ridiculously smooth head, perfectly flat, pure cream ghostly cream lacing, unlike any other, coffee ice cream head. 5
S: Like a red ale, almost soapy but not in an unattractive way, almost nostril opening. 3.5
T/M: Very smooth and creamy, with a slight hair of bitterness, a kind of tree sap, which separates it from other Guinnesses. Quite good, but the cream top makes it particularly special. 4.5/5
O: Excellent, beautiful cream with just a hair of bitterness. 4.5

04-10-2010 21:10:14 | More by sfprint
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.