Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

I keep these on hand with Harp Lager for the occasional black and tan thing, especially when it's near St. Pattie's day. I guess I'm just festive like that. One of the first dark beers I ever had, so it holds a special place in my heart for that reason. Since those days, I have found several hundred beers I would pick before this one, but occasionally it's the only thing dark and all flavory on tap at some bars, so that's why I still drink it whilst out and about.

A - Nice and dark, gi-nourmous creamy head that relaxes to a thin layer.

S - Usually not anything more than a simple light coffee smell.

T -Ditto here. Hints of coffee, soft barley taste, pleasantly bitter in a real light way

M - Nothing special. A little dry perhaps, not overly carbonated in feel but it's there.

D - Like I mentioned, it has it's time and place, even though those times and places are fleeting at best. Good beginner beer for someone that wants to work their way up the dark beer ladder, but bad if they like this and expect "better" beers to taste similar.

gopens44, Aug 30, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -6%

Guinness Draught is the classic dry Irish stout and it used to be a favorite of mine for years, but now that I've been drinking craft beer for a few years, it's obvious to me now that this beer is barely drinkable. I had this again this weekend in New York at the bar at the Hotel Fitzpatrick, an Irish hotel.

The beer was beautiful, jet black with an ample eggshell that softly cascades down the glass. I can never get over how cool this looks. The beer is soft and creamy but without much aroma or taste. It is a little bitter and roasty, but doesn't have the complexity of other dry stouts. The beer is clean, dry and luxurious from nitrogen, which makes it very easy to drink, but not very pleasurable.

Soonami, Aug 28, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

To start, Guinness has the most revered appearance in beer history. Beautiful ruby which appears black under normal inspection with a gorgeous lasting head on top.

To me, it smells like cocoa powder and roasted malts.

The taste is burnt toast, chocolate, weak coffee and cream.

The mouthfeel is really thin but it is extremely pleasurable to drink.

I could down this beer all night. The only problem is that it is ubiquitous but has craft beer price.

sdj5, Aug 26, 2010
2.13/5  rDev -39%

Pour: I'll give this a 4.5/5 just because of the visual effect - it's such a beautiful thing to watch. Light brown color with an ocean-wave effect that fades into black and forms two fingers of thick, creamy head that laces the glass like crazy.

Smell: Interestingly, this beer has a rather tart fruity smell - rather out of place for this style. A little bit of malt and hops but these are rather weak.

Taste: Very bland. Some notes of roasted malt and a faint bit of hop bitterness and coffee. Finishes dry as the style would suggest.

Mouthfeel: Completely flat and watery. At least it's smooth I suppose.

Drinkability: It was hard to finish off this entire can. Just not very good at all.

Final Notes: I think Arthur Guinness would be rolling around in his grave to think how modern Guinness has been bastardized like it has. Nothing compares to real Irish Guinness I'm afraid (I've only had a bottle of Foreign Stout once, I'll never forget it).

bagpiper2005, Aug 24, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

nitro-can served in a standard pint glass.

pours a dark brown with a creamy white head, decent retention and lacing. smell is light, hard to pick up too much of anything distinct; maybe a touch of roasted malt. taste follows the nose, unfortunately. not a whole lot going on. mouthfeel has a creamy yet watery characteristic to it. as noted by others, i remember enjoying this beer a lot more years ago... not sure whether guinness changed or my palate did (or both).

perrymarcus, Aug 19, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -33.2%

I used to drink this beer all the time but I have to say that I think I've grown out of it.

The nitro-can pours into the glass and the traditional downward bubbling begins.

Aroma is a bit metallic with some roasted aromas.

Flavor is metallic too-not pleasant at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Can't believe I drank this for all those years-not my favorite.

linusbwell, Aug 19, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Not the first time I've had this one, obviously. Appearance is great, as always. Huge foamy head with tons of lacing. Smells of light malty coffee and some sweetness. I always think the taste is stronger than it ends up being. Very delicious, but a little light for my taste, but that is the point of the style...so I'll say average. Overall great beer for the style at a great price. I don't know if you can find a smoother drink.

AdmiralDiaz, Aug 17, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a standard shaker pint glass, bonus points are awarded for the fun-to-watch cascade of swirling browns that slowly dissolve into darkness. It may be a bit of a gimmick, but it is a fun show. Once settled, the beer appears almost black, with a bit of reddish-brown glowing around the edges, and a creamiest off-white head layered on top.

The aroma is a let-down compared to the spectacle of the pour, with only a faint aroma of toasted malts and maybe a bit of weak coffee with milk. The flavors are likewise muted but still pleasant, with characteristics of nutty coffee and milk chocolate. The flavor is a mere side-show, however, to the texture that is a big reason this beer is so intriguing. The mouthfeel is like a Brooklyn egg cream in a way, with a light creaminess that is like a watered-down glass of milk and a bit of selzer-like tingle.

Overall, Guinness Draught is rarely my first choice at either the bar or the bottle shop, but it is a classic that I won't refuse if offered.

devilben02, Aug 16, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Guinness Draught has a thin, beige, creamy head and a very dark reddish-black appearance, which is clear under light. The aroma is sharp. Flavor is bold, dark-roasted coffee and some chocolate hints. Mouth-feel is heavy and dry. This beer finishes very snappy and is not particularly bitter or thick. It's quite good, and I'd love to have another.

I could not resist pouring it into a glass, even though the bottle recommends drinking it from the bottle.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Aug 15, 2010

This beer is one of my favorite beers. I have it at least twice a month. My favorite place to get a pint of guinness is at O'nearys irish pub in Brainerd Minnesota down town. I don't know what it's made of but I taste coffee, molases, not real hoppy maybe some malt. I give it a perfect score. The last part of the stout is the best part.

DanDaMan77, Aug 14, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +16%

How odd that unlike many N2-CANs, this one has no warning about not shaking it before opening or the idea that there is a widget inside. Or I am one of the lucky winners of the Guinness CAN that rattles when gently inverted, letting me know that there is a rocket-propelled iron mace inside that will shoot out as soon as the CAN is cracked open. Oh, I do so hope that the latter is true! It's been so boring this summer and I could use a life-threatening injury to spice things up. Let's have a go, shall we?

Oooh, f**ksake, it's taken the top of me head off and I just bought that beanie this afternoon! I want me money reimbursed as I'll have to buy another beanie. Naw, just kiddin'! You lot ...

This looked like the Gulf of Mexico, courtesy of BP, in a glass. It had a finger's worth thick, rich cap of medium-tan head with great retention, capable of hanging around well into the fall. Color was a solid tar-black with zero light-penetration. Thank goodness I don't need to re-cap it because I wouldn't know where to start. Nose had a light milk chocolate sweetness underlain by a mild roastiness, kind of smoky, kind of charcoal. Mouthfeel was silky, creamy, like a dollop of something you might add to your coffee. Speaking of coffee, that was its initial flavour on the tongue. It was then followed by a chocolaty sweetness and then a charcoal bitterness. Finish was dry, more toward the charcoal/smoke taste than the sweetness noted earlier. Great lacing throughout. Hopefully, no peliCANs are nearby ... Not really a cooler-worthy beer, but more of a soccer or rugby match on the telly beer. Did I mention I now have the Dish Network? Doctor Who every weekday at 5 PM on BBC America! Who's your doctor and what's in your wallet?

woodychandler, Aug 07, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Guinness is a nice looking beer as I enjoy the dark side of things. It's not quite black, but an extremely dark brown with a touch of ruby thrown in. Head is fluffy and white.

The smell is nothing to write home about. It's got a stale, yeasty scent to it. Basically, it smells like a cave. As it warms, there is some chocolate and coffee notes that try to come through, but I might be making up things.

I've always thought Guinness was a highly-overrated beer, and my most recent mug did nothing to dispel that thought. It simply doesn't have much taste. It doesn't taste "bad," but it's really not good either. The only thing that comes to mind is extremely watered down coffee.

It's ok in the mouth, however, because it's a very smooth, creamy beer. There's little bitter and while it's not refreshing, it's just a creamy liquid sloshing around in your mouth.

Due to its creamy mouthfeel and relatively lowish alcohol, you can drink these all night long. Despite the limited taste, it does go down easy. I'm just not a fan.

RickS95, Aug 07, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours a pitch black with thick white head, propped up by the nitro I'm sure. Head retention and lacing are there throughout, but it always feels artificial with a nitro. Smells of faint roasted malt and little bit of coffee. Taste has some of the roastiness from a stout, but it is on the watery side. Very creamy mouthfeel, but it feels too light for the flavour.

kwjd, Aug 07, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Had this at Lizardo's Pub and Sub in CC TX. It was poured in its proper pint glass.

To me Guinness has too many watery characteristics. It is VERY smooth and creamy, but to me a little too thin. Most of the flavors seem to be in the background and not putting forth much of an effort. There were some coffee flavors lingering about and a few hints of chocolate, but for me it was approaching bland. It was on the dry chalky side of pale, but still too watery. From what I was told at the bar, it can make some good Guinness ice cream floats. All in all, it's acceptable.

I only drink this on-tap at bars if it is on special or as an alternative to the BMC products - as Guinness will usually be the only import on-tap at the lower-end of average bars. I can never drink too much of this in one session because after a while I get tired of it.

I have not had it in a while, but like some other BA members, I remember this being much better.

LacquerHead, Aug 03, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -27.5%

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Pours with "traditional" nitro looking head, very creamy, light tan color. The beer is completely black as expected.
S: Slightly chocolaty with only a tiny bit of roasted-ness.
T: A hint of chocolate, along with a little roast to keep things from being sweet. Not a lot going on.
M: On the watery side, doesn't have the "texture" that a well-poured pint has.
D: Well this is a big disappointment, I haven't had a pint in a bar in a really long time, but I don't remember Guinness ever being so blah. Glad that someone left these at the house and I didn't buy them. Don't bother with this, there are better dry stouts to be had.

wspscott, Jul 31, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

Reviewed from notes:

I figured it was time to revisit a beer I used to drink constantly-- this was one of those beers that helped lure me away from , and keep me away from, the BMC products. There was a time I loved this beer... Let's see how it's held up.

This thing pours dark red--- real rich creamy tan head. The cascading bubbles are like the sirens, leading me to my imminent doom that is the darkness of this beer! Looks dark. It is such a dark red that most people think it's black. Looks as good as I remember.

Surprisingly thin feel for how thick it "looked" in the recesses of my memory. Smells like roasted barley and some caramel malts-- perhaps chocolate. I might be crazy, but I smell something almost minty?!

The head is thick and creamy, but the body is so thin it is shocking! This is a real sessionable dry stout-- not really filling like I remember. The taste shows those sweet roasty malts and a dry finish that is quite nice.

AleWatcher, Jul 28, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a almost solid black with a rich cream head that will not go away for anything (very sexy). Very good lacing and almost no carbonation, goes down very smooth. At first sip it taste like coffee, a very cold coffee with a hint of hops. A very good beer in my opinion. i just wish I could actually try some from Dublin.

92jAKe47FS, Jul 27, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Not a bad beer at all. Appearance is good and the smell is fresh. The taste is quite different from most beers I've had. At first it tastes of hops and cold coffee. Drinkability is only average. It is hard to drink this beer if you aren't use to Stout. Drinking more than 3 will get you a good buzz going on and it gets harder and harder to drink this beer.

yuenglingfan101, Jul 22, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

Creamy and smooth. The brew is a bit thin and light but sustained by a bitter interesting propagates well in the throat. Leaving the beer a little rest, traces of roasting are felt, with small spikes of acidity, but particularly touches of coffee, a bit like the nose.

ThaCreep, Jul 21, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

The flagship beer of the emerald isle. It is good but there are better to be enjoyed. I visited Ireland and love the other beers she had to offer. This however is a good staple beer.

A: You gotta love how Guinness pours. It cycles out as it sits int the glass. Murphy's and Beamish will do the same on tap or bottled. It is dark and chocolaty with a surprising creamy white head. Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout will exhibit a more tawny hue. Heavy head that remains throughout.

S: Smells malty and highly roasted. It is clean not exhibiting a yeasty smell or of the nitrous bottle it is housed in.

T: It is heavily roasted and has some coffee, nut, and chocolate notes with an overall ale malt sweetness yet not overly sweet.

M: Silky smooth and drying at the end. It is thick and heavy.

D: Not meant for immediate refreshment. It is best served with a meal. It is great with traditional Anglo-American dishes and fish

bigrzman, Jul 18, 2010
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Ah Guinness. Gotta be honest - I've got a soft spot for Guinness. Once upon a time I used to drink nothing but the typical macro swill that was available - Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. In college I graduated to "exotic" beer like Heineken, Fosters, and Grolsch. Then a friend of mine introduced me to Guinness. I had no idea that beer could tasty - my first drink was almost like drinking chocolate milk. From there I graduated to Samuel Smiths, especially their Taddy Porter, and I've branched out quite a bit since then. I've had countless craft beers, but you always remember your first.

Stouts for summer. Why not? While lots of folks are reaching for a pilsner or pale ale, I figured I'd go the opposite direction, drinking some stouts, which I usually prefer to have in the dead of winter.

12 ounce nitro widget bottle. Pours a dark charcoal black with a ful 1/2 head with incredible retention due to the injection of nitrogen. The head just will not go down, and cascades down the side of the glass as you go on. Smells of roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate with that unique Guinness smell that I assume is a byproduct of the nitrogen. One thing that has always amazed me with Guinness is just how quaffable it is - everyone assumes that dark beers are challenging to finish. That's not the case with this beer. It's easy to drink which is probably why I got into it in the first place. The taste gives you lots of roasted and chocolate malt in the background, and the nitrogen lends the beer a nice creaminess. Chocolate milk isn't necessarily the best description - Guinness isn't a milk stout - but perhaps something like Yoo-Hoo is more appropriate. There are some hops there, though they are quite earthy and muted. Fuggles perhaps? The hops lend a nice and lightly bitter finish to the entire affair. Overall Guinness remains an Irish classic and one of the best stouts on the market today.

eclaycamp, Jul 16, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +6%

I've drank this countless times, but this is my first time reviewing this delicious beverage.

A- Pours a dark, dark, ruby red, with a super fine, bubbly, beige head. Left a noticeable amount of fine bubbly lacing.

S - The scents are dark cocoa and chocolate, with brown sugar and molasses on the finish.

T - Chocolate malts are the strongest flavour, with a little bit of a bitter finish. A metallic flavour lingers, with a strong toffee and irish cream flavour which hang around.

M - I've always found Guinness to have extremely low levels of carbonation compared to other stouts I've had the pleasure of trying. That being said, it's not necessarily a turn-off, and rather, is quite delicious depending on the feel you're in the mood for. It's a unqiue, flat, feel that goes down incredibly smooth.

D - I've always loved Guinness, and the bottles, though not quite as good as draught, are still quite tasty. Guinness has done a great job of preserving the quality of their product for mass distribution. I always have, and will continue to, love their stout!

andrenaline, Jul 15, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

I usually pour my Guinness Draught from the can into a big glass mug as it's hard to enjoy the head through the can mouth.

Appearance: "it's a party inside" really does describe it. I cannot explain how excited I get watching a Guinness settle down in the glass, an almost black beer with very light colored bubbles swirling about.

Smell: Not sure if it's the nitrogen or what, but there's always a mask on the smell for me when it's not on tap.

Taste: I'll admit it's not nearly as tasty as the extra stout, but it still has some hints of great flavor in there. Draught is the more main-stream, drinkable beer really, but I would never call it anywhere near a bad taste.

Mouthfeel: perfect for me. surprisingly light and creamy for how dark it looks.

Drinkability: I can drink this beer all night long, have one or two with dinner, hell, i could probably drink Guinness draught for breakfast. when in a bar that serves bud, coors, miller, carona, and that sort, a guinness draught will put a smile on my face every time.

JimbobAlonymous, Jul 13, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Well, I should start by admitting that it's not really fair to the Guinness folks to do a review on their bottled product. My very first Guinness was straight out of the tap at a small pub just off Grafton Street, near Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, and have had a lot of Guinness since, in a lot of places, a lot of styles. This nitro bottle is actually not bad for a bottled beer, but it's not the same as a real nitro-tapped Guinness fresh from a hopping pub. This beer pours more dark brown than the classic Guinness black. The head is okay, but has a lot of larger bubbles. It does cling well to the glass as you drink it, and the head does carry a lot of the good bitter hops onto your tongue. Otherwise, the beer is just not so great. It has a coffee flavor that is too mellow, and a texture that is a bit too watery -- nothing near as thick and creamy as a "real" Guinness. Overall, I think I'll save my Guinness moments for those good pubs that know how to keep it fresh and pour it correctly into a proper imperial pint glass.

jushoppy2beer, Jul 12, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

After having a few of these from the 11.2 oz bottles I realize they just aren't impressive. I guess it might be better on tap, but this version is really disappoining. The appearance is nice, jet black with a thick creamy head. Surprisingly it feels thin and watery, and has very little aroma, taste reminds me of old coffee.
Would be OK as an alternative to a cheap lager or other macrobrew, but I think it's a lower-end porter. The Guinness in Europe may be different so it's hard to judge, but I'm not a big fan of the American version, and I agree it's overpriced.

Sudsy89, Jul 12, 2010
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.