Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
HalenRush

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%

You know what? Screw all this A S T M D stuff. I ain't holding this in a glass up to the light, I ain't swriling it around. I'm not smelling it like the cotton patch on my wifes dirty panties.

THIS

IS

GUINNESS.

This is lower in carbs and calories than Budwieser. This is MY lawnmower beer. I can drink it all day and maintain. I can cook with it on March 17th, and plow through it for 15 hours until I move to Baileys on ice around March 18th at 5AM. My American heart pumps Irish blood, and this beer would be my desert island choice. Slainte!

Serving type: can

01-26-2009 02:50:07 | More by HalenRush
unclejimbay

Guinness Draught
Guinness Ltd.
Style: Irish Dry Stout
ABV = 4.2

2 beers tested, 10/1/09 (from bottle & glass)

as suggested from bottle
A 0.0 - n/a

poured into a glass
A 4.0 - cool carbo style, 1 finger head, frothy head, expresso bean color
S 2.5 - chocolate toasty maltiness - but subtle -I had to try hard
T 2.0 - bitter watery expresso malt notes
MF 2.0 - watery stale coffee taste, is this nitrogen thing a gimmick?
D 1.0 - I poured this out, terrible example of a stout, I would not drink this for free - seriously - I am not trying to slam this beer but its undrinkable in my opinion.

01-21-2009 20:49:58 | More by unclejimbay
raoulduke37

4.68/5  rDev +34.5%

I had to come to the rescue of this beer, and the pride of the Irish in general. First of all, don't drink this out of a bottle or can, it will taste like crap. This review is solely based on my experience with Guinness, straight from the tap in a classic Irish pub in Dublin, which I assure you is quite different than cracking open a can and pouring it into an Irish Car Bomb. Now,Guinness on tap in CA is crap, in New York it's pretty good, in western Ireland is pretty damn good, and in Dublin is fucking amazing. The appearance is thick, like motor oil, with a beautifully dense creamy head. The smell is a bit hard for me to detect, but it's the classic "stout" smell, if you catch my drift. The taste was absolutely wonderful, thick, creamy, chocolatey. The drinkability can be judged by the general happiness and hospitality of the Irish people, who rightfully use this as their lifeblood to write poems, carry on amazing traditional music sessions, and appreciate nature. Ok ok, am I rambling here? To conclude, drink this in Dublin from a pint poured by an expert barman, rather than out of a can or in a car bomb. That'll be all, now.

01-21-2009 03:20:06 | More by raoulduke37
ncbeermonger

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

It says drink from the bottle, but I always pour into my trusty Sam Adams Glass.

Pours a little dark, bubbles, chocolate, and caramel colors are prevalent

smell is good

The taste is good, creamy and the beer finishes well

The mouthfeel is good, very solid for a liquid.

The beer is very drinkable, and legendary Guinness is outstanding!

01-18-2009 04:38:50 | More by ncbeermonger
taylor714914

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Dark in color with an amazingly frothy head. Looks quite good.

S- Not much smell to this beer. Some toasty and espresso notes.

T- A great dry stout. Toasty notes, come coffee and chocolate notes also come through on the finish.

M- I LOVE the mouthfeel of guinness. SUPER creamy. Very little carbonation, but in this case, it's fine by me.

D- Very Drinkable. I find myself polishing off pints in no time flat.

For 35 a case, there are other beers I would rather drink, but I keep a 6 pk on hand for those nights where i just want a creamy smooth stout.

01-17-2009 01:56:43 | More by taylor714914
barleysandwich

British Columbia (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +37.9%

There are not many other stouts that can compare to Guinness in my honest opinion. I have had numerous others and they are just not as good.

Everything from the creamy head that lasts even after all the liquid is gone in the glass, to the deep dark color and complex strong smooth flavour with relatively low alcohol content, makes this one of my all time favorite beers ever.

I will say though that this has varying steps of "amazingness". Starting from fully amazing to less amazing here are the steps:

1) This extremely amazing when served on tap anywhere in the British Isles.
2) Very good served on tap in other parts of the world.
3) Quite good when served in the draught can with the widget.
4) Not as good when served in a bottle. When it doesn't have the gas release widget to give it that creamy effect, its just not as good.

01-14-2009 08:14:35 | More by barleysandwich
thegodfather2701

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours black with some ruby highlights when held up to light. It has a beautiful off white head that lasts throughout. The nose is nothing over powering, but there are hints of chocolate and licorice. The taste is much like the nose, except with a touch of coffee. This beer is rather easy to drink as the taste is nothing overpowering. The mouthfeel in the nitro-bottle is somewhat thin especially compared to this on tap. While this was a decent drinking experience there are much better stouts out there which I would rather spend my money and time drinking.

01-14-2009 02:44:04 | More by thegodfather2701
philipquarles

Connecticut

2.45/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours black with a cool-looking, cascading-foam effect that eventually leaves a one-finger light yellow/gray cap. Slight lacing. Smells faintly of slightly sweet dark. If I strain I think I get a bit of coffee/chocolate, but that may be wishful thinking. Tastes similarly weakly, though slight bittersweet chocolate comes through. Really mild and just plain characterless.

01-14-2009 02:43:34 | More by philipquarles
RAdragna

2.13/5  rDev -38.8%

Had a bottle then poured into tall pilsner glass. Came with the 18 pack Irish collection that I received for Christmas.

I was clearly not impressed with Guinness to say the least. The appearance made it look promising, but that was probably the only good thing about the beer. There was no smell to it, the taste was blah, and the mouthfeel wasn't very good. Maybe it's me, but I didn't feel this was a drinkable beer on its own. As part of a Irish Car Bomb or a fresh pint from a pub in Ireland, maybe. Not so here in the States. I'm not likely to buy a six pack of Guinness anytime in my future.

01-13-2009 03:37:25 | More by RAdragna
Frosty80

2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

Color: black and beautiful

Smell:

Taste:

Mouthfeel: wonderful. the nitrogen offers a smoothness not found in most other beers. not very rich. med-high body.

Notes: guinness is pretty "wet" for a stout. i appreciate irish style and it will always have a special place in my heart but it is probly the most drinkable of stouts. not much aroma or taste. i used to drink it quite a bit and dont recall it tasting this impotent. great introduction to the style.

01-12-2009 04:47:30 | More by Frosty80
redneckchugger

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

served in a 25 oz mug, miles of head, beautiful lacing. weak almost non-existent smell, tastes like guinness, caramelly,and smooth. can't really know this beer, its not the best stout out there, but its probally converted more bmc drinkers than any other beer.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-11-2009 02:23:05 | More by redneckchugger
Greggy

A- After a two-part pour, the beer was presented to me with a 1 finger thick white head. The body is black but I was saddened to see light through it. As the glass empties, there is some nice clinging lace.

S- Cream, chocolate, light roast, and roasty twang.

T- Starts out nice and creamy with notes of chocolate, bits of smooth coffee and some smooth roastiness.

M- Ultra creamy, smooth, and a long lasting finish.

D- This is definitely best on tap. Cans and bottles don't do this justice. Luckily, it's available at many beers making it a good fallback. Although sessionable, the sweetness becomes a bit cloying after a couple.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-08-2009 18:55:01 | More by Greggy
Duhast500

Rhode Island

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into glass from the can.

The color is an almost opaque black, with almost a red overtone. Has about an inch of foamy off white head which is quite thick.

The smell is of a very light coffee smell, a very slight chocolate flavor and a slight hope flavor as well.

The taste is chocolate slightly but taste is a little off and it better on tap.

This was my first stout and I still love to have a few every once in a while. I have moved on to other stouts and I hope to have one in Ireland but this is the one I always base my comparison on.

01-08-2009 03:30:42 | More by Duhast500
kaseydad

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%

Pouring this beer in a glass is probably the best thing about it! It's pretty cool to see the beer transform before my eyes.

Appearance is dark as night with a nice creamy head throughout the entire session.

The aroma is of roasted malt and smoke.

The taste reminds me of black coffee with a very dry finish.

Overall the low alcohol and calories is nice, but the I feel the best way to partake of this stout is through a black and tan.

I still need to get out to Ireland and drink the original there!

01-08-2009 02:38:10 | More by kaseydad
Mistofminn

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

Normally I wouldn't resort to reviewing a beer in more than one "serving type" until I am far into my BA journey. The only reason I do so now is because of the stark differences of the can and bottled version.

My friend, having just come home from Ireland, thought it would make him feel better if he purchased some Guinness. So naturally, he offered me one. I figured since I had just recently reviewed the nitro-can version I would give this one a shot. It can't be much different, can it?

Boy was I wrong. It was the same roiling brew I was accustomed to. For whatever reason, the head appeared to be much whiter this time. The brew looked the same, heck it even smelled the same. What struck me as odd was the taste. Or better yet, what taste?!?! This beer had literally no taste! I could barely pick out any flavor as this was incredibly watered down. I was utterly shocked to be honest. It was still very creamy and had a good mouthfeel, and the little-to-no taste made it very drinkable, but man, was this a different experience than the can.

Someone once told me if you buy Guinness, make sure it's in the can. +1 to that. Don't bother with the bottles.

01-05-2009 20:32:48 | More by Mistofminn
DmanGTR

2.58/5  rDev -25.9%

The Nitro bottle version:

A - poured from the bottle into a pint glass, yielding a dark brown/black body with a very scant off white creamy head that receded into a cap. wtf?

S - faint roasted malts, cocoa, cream, and a very light waft of hops.

T - the taste followed the smell and was also very dumbed-down.

M - medium bodied and lightly carbonated with the "widget", a tad watery

D - eh, go with the can or on tap

Overall - this isn't Guinness. If you want a good version of the Draught style, get it on tap. If you want good Guinness, get the Extra Stout.

01-05-2009 00:36:30 | More by DmanGTR
echdk3

Missouri

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

14,9oz nitro can poured into a mug

A_Underneath the head is a beautiful gradient from top to bottom ranging from light brown to darkest of dark brown/black. Creamy head french vanilla covered. Head is very wet and dense; looks more like a hockey puck sitting on top. The movement of sediment is gorgeous, makes the beer so damn lively! Leaves a sticky frosted glass lacing. I guess if you don't pour this yourself, i.e. a server pours it before it gets to your table, then you might not witness how cool this beer looks.

S_Lightly roasted oats, fresh biscuits, not very intense

T_Charcoal and grainy light toasted bread. Light chocolate too

M_Very watery body that mixes strangely with the ever-creamy head. Extra low carbonation, strange overall

D_Light aftertaste leaves more to be desired and the light body all lead to high repeatability, however the mouthfeel is too much to overcome

01-03-2009 23:49:41 | More by echdk3
TommyW

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

A- Almost black, only letting traces of light through. Tan head sticks to the glass as it fades to a lace that has great retention.

S- Not a lot going on here. Some malt sweetness.

T- Roasted/burnt malts and some sweetness. Finishes with a slight bitterness and dryness from the hops. Overall, just tastes watered-down!

M- Not very impressive. Pretty watery for the most part; only some creaminess on a few sips.

D- Not a beer that I find myself going after too often, but once in a while it hits the spot.

01-02-2009 14:47:03 | More by TommyW
TheBear11D

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

Very dark in color, almost black, yet the smallest hint of brown with a long lasting off-white light tan head.

Very malty, chocolate, coffee, slightly metallic and a little airy with a vanilla aroma that comes out after a while.

A bittersweet coffee and chocolate flavor accented by the late arrival of citrus still hidden in the malt.

Pretty thick yet a bit of a watery feel with an interesting carbonation.

Pretty smooth, a little heavy but still fairly drinkable.

12-31-2008 20:39:14 | More by TheBear11D
soupyman10

District of Columbia

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a bottle at my parents' house for Christmas. Beer looks like a monster - deep brown, almost black color with a nice off-white head that leaves excellent lacing. Unfortunately, other than the appearance, there's not much exceptional about this brew. Nose and flavor are very mild, smooth dry roasted flavor. Not a lot going on. Body's a little thinner than it should be, for a stout (and especially for the "meal" that Guinness always claims to be), although it's not bad by any means. Overall, it's mostly just uninteresting.

12-31-2008 15:13:28 | More by soupyman10
Jablonski

Louisiana

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%

Ordered this on tap at a restaurant. Back a few years ago, it was the first beer I had that I enjoyed drinking. I still enjoy the beer on the rare occasion that I order it now, but there are much better beers out there. The appearance was a nearly opaque black color. The head was medium sized and stayed around for a while--minimal lacing. It smelled of malts and cardboard. The taste was slightly bland. It tasted of chocolate and coffee. The carbonation was perfect, but it was slightly watery. Its also a decently drinkable beer, but I crave a better beer while I drink Guinness Draught.

12-27-2008 03:56:28 | More by Jablonski
pseudo

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

poured into a pint glass the 'surge' is really amazing. Cool can too. Milk color turns into an opaque jet black with a constant milky head. Pretty much perfect looking.
The smell is milder than would be expected. Not much too it. That dry stout smell
taste is... mild and too watery for a stout. It tastes pretty good but it really has no depth/substance. It's a one trick pony with no aftertaste or any flavor layers to speak of. What flavor this is can be quite enjoyable though.
Mouthfeel is not good. VERY watery feeling. No body at all. The carbonation is very low. Feels like bleech.
I could still see myself drinking quite a bit of this though, while it isn't deep or in any way exceptional, it can be enjoyable for what its worth. Low alcohol content also helps.

12-26-2008 09:52:06 | More by pseudo
sgoodship

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked this up at the JewelOsco grocery store on Des Plaines & Fulton in Chicago. Was using it to make a beef stew in the slow cooker.

A: Those widgets are so annoying. You hardly get the top popped and it shoots it's load. Typical jet black guinness look with big white fine creamy head. Not much in the lacing department but I do like that a small head stays throughout and gives you a creamy milk mustache. I love that classic settling that Guinness does. You have to admit that it is a good looking drink.

S: Typical dry, sour Guinness smell. A little sweeter than the Extra Stout. It always reminds me of that stale brewery smell. It's almost got a hint of vinegar to it.

T: It is dry as a cork which is what the style is all about. The dryness is almost like a red wine level of dry. It may not be the best stout in the world but I think it is often reviewed as if it is an English or American Stout and not it's unique style. It's all malt and a little smokey when it warms up. Generally, it's pretty subtle.

M: Nice and smooth. Not as full a beer as you would imagine. Can feel quite thin at times. Carbonation and bitterness adds a little interest.

D: Guinness is a very nostalgic brew for me. I fondly remember having it in Ireland and I don't care what anyone says, it does taste better there. It is a gateway beer and for that reason alone, I think it deserves more respect than it gets. It's a pretty subtle drink that can be pounded. I know that from experience as a kid. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it anymore but when I do have a reason to drink it, it sure does bring back good memories.

12-24-2008 18:13:12 | More by sgoodship
prsguitarsr4me

Given that it is designed to drank out of the bottle, 1 for appearance. Smell is almost non-existent, but when I get a whiff, it is empty and skunky and gross. 1. Taste (if any) is flat, watery, and every sip is forced down. Feel is so terrible I wish I could give it a negative 10. Feels like cough medicine - the texture is just weird. Horrible, horrible drink.

12-24-2008 00:01:12 | More by prsguitarsr4me
WakeandBake

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Ok the famous Guinness, well It looks real pretty in the glass all black and stuff,with that creamy head. A nice subtle roasted malt aroma with a hint of cardboard. The flavor is a creamy chocolate,burnt malt,maybe a little tobacco,not really much flavor at all for a stout,drinkable but there are much better stouts locally.

12-23-2008 20:54:44 | More by WakeandBake
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.