Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
ljbrisson

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours black into a pint glass out of a nitro can, with a beautiful, pillowy, off-white head, with great retention and leaving prodigious lacing. For me, the strongest point of a Guinness is the way that it looks. Aroma seems as if it is trapped underneath the fluffy head, is of roasted grain and a bit of coffee. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth but very light, with almost no carbonation, goes down very easily. Taste is of wood, coffee notes, and a roasted grain flavor toward the finish.

This is a difficult beer for me to rate as it was my gateway beer and I will always have a special place for it. Despite my introduction to craft beer, a cold Guinness straight from the tap is still one of the most satisfying beer-drinking experiences I can think of. However, I will try, as always, to rate the beer based on how the beer represents the style, and what the brewer intended the beer to taste like, and, to a weighted degree, my personal preference - not just any one of the aforementioned aspects. End disclaimer

11-14-2008 19:10:08 | More by ljbrisson
Seanv

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Can. Pours a dark body with about a one inch thick head. Not a lot of aroma, some sweet malts and that's about it. Not a whole lot of flavor either. Some malts and a tad bit of caramel if you really dig. Medium body. Light but full mouth feel. The most refreshing beer out there.

11-12-2008 15:38:04 | More by Seanv
BigBen61

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

One of the first beers that I wanted to try. I am actually a bit dissapointed.

Appearance was good. Everyone who has seen a Guinness knows that part of the attractiveness is the contrast of the dark (nearly black) beer coupled with the creamy white head. The pour may have been the problem at the bar where I had this because the head was relatively short. This is the only reason it didn't score higher.

The smell was a bit weak for my tastes. I felt like the roasted malt should jump out at me. I could detect a faint smoky sweetness and almost no hops whatsoever.

The taste was good, not great. I had expected a smoother creamier beer. What I got was something that seemed to be a bit bland with notes of charcoal and roasted grain.

The mouthfeel was my favorite part of this beer aside from appearance. It reminded me of a good rootbeer pulled from tap. Very little carbonation, very smooth and soft.

Althought I didn't like it enough to order another I can definately see how you could drink a ton of this stuff. Its smoothness coupled with its easy taste could make for a looong night (or morning depending on your tastes).

11-11-2008 17:52:59 | More by BigBen61
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

2.93/5  rDev -16%

I have drank this many many times. the bottle is not the way to go. they tell you to drink straight from the bottle, which is stupid. off tap or from can to glass is one thing but this is a flat, lack-luster guinness at it's best. I do not recomend this from the bottle

11-09-2008 06:22:00 | More by mugglesandhops
cnally

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

the beer that casuals think is really good beer. and while it is not terrible, it merely passes as ok.

the look is deep and black, and of course the cascading head is beautiful.

a nutty, smoky smell eminates from the beer, oaky amd woodsy.

the taste is burnt caramel and very nondescript. balanced but unassuming, unimpressive but inoffensive.

the feel is milky and heavy.

well, i'll drink it. but I may not be totally excited about it.

11-09-2008 03:57:11 | More by cnally
harley101

Manitoba (Canada)

4.75/5  rDev +36.1%

I cant get enough of this beer, its delightful in every way. I loved everything from its almost black color to the way it smells of chocolate and coffee. It is really easy to chug if your in a hurry because of the low/no carbonation as it is smooth and easy.
I would fly to ireland just to taste it freshly poured from a local pub ;)

11-05-2008 01:46:36 | More by harley101
Goliath

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a very dark brown, black through the center, with amber edges. Huge cascading effect on the pour producing a half inch creamy light tan head. Looks marshmallows in cocoa on top. Good retention.

The aroma is alright. Slightly roasty with a bit of chocolate and coffee.

The taste is ok. Fairly weak, but a bit of old coffee comes through with a touch of bitterness and not a whole lot more.

The mouthfeel kind of sucks. It's medium bodied, but feels watery. I'm usually a fan of more of a still mouthfeel, but this feels flat basically, probably because the body is so thin. But it's slightly creamy which is nice.

Drinkability is moderate. It's easy to consume, but it's really not that great. It lacks depth of flavor and important aspects of body. It's certainly sessionable, but I'd be too bored to drink more than one. I always remembered liking Guinness and wondered why everyone slammed the Nitro Bottle so much, and now I think I've figured out why.

11-04-2008 16:12:23 | More by Goliath
a061183

Arizona

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

A= It is super black just like an expresso or coffee. WHen you pour it it has a 1 or2 finger head but it goes down to a smal head that doesnt go away and is great.

S= Coffee/expresso

T= The taste is amazing it has a nice coffee taste but not to strong and finishes wih a bit of chocolate, the only thing i wish that it was not as watery.

M= A bit watery but one of my fav Irish stout

D+ Very drinkable and easy going down full of flavor but no too strong. I can definetley put quite a few of these down in a sitting.

11-01-2008 11:24:04 | More by a061183
kingothewoods

Iowa

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Loved the appearance when it was freshly poured from the tap. It had the waterfall effect in the beer which is totally impressive with the little bubbles that trickle down from the top. Some are drawn back by the dark black motor oil look with the thick creamy head but not me. I love Irish Dry Stouts - they're my favorite. Smells of heavy roast and that is exactly what you first taste as it hits your tongue. However, you do get a slight tin flavor which is slightly odd. Full thick head stays with the glass all the way down. Mmmm, "barkeep - pour me another".

11-01-2008 01:09:31 | More by kingothewoods
Klunco

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

Served on tap in an imperial Guinness tulip glass. Guinness holds a special place in my heart as it was the first beer I genuinely liked. It's a great standby when only BMC taps are at a bar, and is easy to drink and sessionable.

A note about Guinness, it is my opinion that this beer gets fouled up by more bars than any other beer out there and this is the reason for most peoples disappointment with it. It's not the greatest stout out there, but is a lot better than some of these ratings particularly if you get it at a reputable place. When people talk about how great it is in Ireland, freshness is a factor, but also the fact that it is so prominent there, most pubs know how to keep the nitrous level correct, the kegs are emptied often, and the two part pour is done almost everywhere. All three of these things make a difference and I've been to way too many bars in America where, often, the Guinness is stale, not served in the right glass, and poured straight down in one single opening of the tap.

I'll be reviewing this from a bar that does it right: turns over enough Guinness that it is fresh, serves in the tulip glass, does the two part pour, and keeps the lines clean.

A - A classic. Looks like a supersized shot of espresso. Black with a beautifully creamy tan head that lasts forever. Served in a clean glass beautiful foam rings form as the beer goes down.

S - This is where Guinness lacks the most IMO. A bit of roasted malt comes through along with dark chocolate and coffee notes. No presence of hops.

T - Creamy, balanced, and easy to drink. A roasted malty flavor comes through along with hints of vanilla extract and coffee notes. Finishes with a short lived bitter roasted flavor.

M - Another area where Guinness excels. Perfectly creamy mouthfeel that isn't abrasive like CO2. Very easy to drink because of the mouthfeel.

D - A great session beer. Sure there are stouts with more flavors, but Guinness is widely available and it's mild mannered flavor makes it easy to drink as many as you'd like (One night I had 8 imperial pints in a row) without getting as full as I would have with other beers. Alcohol level is low so it keeps you standing and Guinness is calorically low which never hurts and makes it a good option instead of a typical light beer. I could drink this from 10 am on and all day on a rainy day and often have. The only killer is how many bars screw this beer up.

10-30-2008 04:06:55 | More by Klunco
TMinton22

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Love this beer, had my first one with my dad who was turned on by it after a trip to Ireland. Although told no where near the quality as having one over there. This beer started on my adventures of beer tasting. Although there are better I have to give it props

A: Murky black. Poured a tight one finger head which persisted and was "fed" from underneath. Good lacing

S: Sweet bready malt .

T: Some roasted malts and even bitterness.

M: Smooth and creamy.

D: Very drinkable. Didn't find it filling or overbearing.

10-24-2008 13:16:52 | More by TMinton22
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.18/5  rDev -8.9%

GLASS: Boddingtons Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Guinness is one of the world's most beautiful beers. The so dark that it's almost black liquid, with it's dark ruby highlights. The reverse cascade of the bubbles. The three finger creamy tan head.
All of those features are reproduced in this nitro can, thanks to the widget, I suppose. Looks like it's just drawn, off of a tap.

Smells dark and malty. Slight coffee notes mix with chocolate, to a lesser extent. Not alot going on in the nose, actually.

Can you say disappointment?
Wow! This tastes just like Guinness, only weaker!
This tastes like a mix of 2 parts Guinness and 1 part water. you can tell that beer elements are in there, but they are so watered down that it's hard to find them.

Guinness is supposed to be a big, thick, creamy brew. This (can) is a pale imitation of those qualities.

This might have use as a stepping stone for getting someone to come over from BMC products into craft beers. Other than that, I think it's a waste, personally.

10-20-2008 17:31:18 | More by coldmeat23
jjanega08

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

This beer is just really fun to look at. The taste is almost like chocolate milk to me for some reason. Really smooth and creamy. I'm not particularly impressed with it in any way besides the appearance. The flavor should be bolder and more full for the way it looks and the dark color I think. It's a decent beer though, I'll prolly have a a craving later for another

10-20-2008 15:51:11 | More by jjanega08
miket163

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

A nice Irish Stout. Beautiful pour into a pilsner glass (all that was available), cascading effect is always fun to watch! Its color was black, with red around the sides of the glass. The head stayed for the entire drink, with great lacing. You could taste a hint of coffee and strong dark chocolate (very toasty, I could feel my stomach warm!), and a very nice woody flavour left on the palate. A classic pub favourite, and for good reason.
cheers!

10-16-2008 04:07:51 | More by miket163
CampusCrew

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

I love Guinness but there are better options. Very Dark and chocolatley stout and goes great with hearty stews and works well for cooking. Guinness in America is good, but try it in the UK. It's a dream. I'm going to rate it as I normally drink here in the US. The only thing I don't like about Guinness is the slight negative aftertaste which I didn't taste when I was traveling overseas.

10-15-2008 15:06:55 | More by CampusCrew
KeefD

2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from a nitro bottle into an imperial pint. Cascading effect through a dark brown body. Nice creamy head, some lacing is there. Aroma of burnt coffee grinds and hints of chocolate. Taste is on par with the nose. Roasted coffee, dry baker's chocolate, slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is what gets to me on this one. It's thin and watery, not much in the way of flavor. I prefer the Extra Stout to the Draught, personally, but I could drink several of these in one sitting on nitro-tap. Maybe I should have drank this from the bottle as it insisted. After a few minutes, the beer became flat and watery which took away from the overall taste. Not very pleasing.

10-12-2008 00:06:21 | More by KeefD
dstc

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours as black as can be with a creamy mocha head the stays forever leaving nice lace rings behind.

Roasted malt aroma and slightly metallic.

Burnt malt taste with a mild bitter finish. Very smooth and light as far as stouts go.

Velvet smooth mouthfeel with no sign or carbonation.

Very smooth, easy drinking beer. Not nearly as good as the tap Guinness in Ireland but I have to settle just like the rest of America.

10-10-2008 12:35:27 | More by dstc
jtothamo

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +36.1%

My goodness, my Guinness.

I know the popularity of Guinness has caused it to be looked down upon by many in the beer snob club. However, there's just something about a Guinness that makes my heart warm.

The overwhelming advertising campaign that Guinness has launched over the years has been effective in getting many lousy, cheap beer drinkers to get out of their comfort zones. So, I applaud Guinness for making the world a better place.

To me, the only thing more satisfying than watching a Guinness settle is consuming it. The smooth taste is comforting. While I would say there are other beers out there that are more worthy of the "brilliant" accolade, Guinness will always have a special place in my heart.

09-29-2008 19:02:30 | More by jtothamo
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Got this on tap at Mick's, a great Irish pub in the center of Utrecht.

Pulled from a nitro into a pint glass.

APPEARANCE: Wonderful cascading effect after the pour. Settles pitch black with a thick, dense, creamy one finger white head. Zero carbonation evident. Laces beautifully down the sides, leaving rings, and head is very persistent until the end. Lovely and unique looking.

SMELL: Hard to get anything through the thick armored head. Roasted barley malt of course. Slight tinge of coffee with a smoky component. Cream too. Nice, but tough to get.

TASTE: The taste is way more evident than the smell. Same components in the taste, roasted malt, smoke and coffee, but the coffee is stronger and it's more pronounced. A bit of tobaco there as well. Minimal aftertaste.

PALATE: Medium body and creamy as well. Head adds a great feel on the lips when drinking. Minimal carbonation gives it a thick water feel. Perhaps a slight bit more carbonation would give it more of a thick beer feel. Goes down smooth and finishes super dry.

OVERALL: This beer is definately drinkable. Its low ABV means you can drink it all night, and that nothing is overpowering means you'll never get sick of it. Definatley sessionable, and I've sessioned it many times. Tastes and feels nice, is a pleasure to look at, and goes down very nicely. On the other hand, I could see how some might find it too dull and weak after a few pints, and want to move on to something else. In the end though, I find it to be a great session brew off the tap.

09-28-2008 12:49:53 | More by Jeffo
scaliasux

Wisconsin

2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance - Cascading color for a few seconds after the pour. Dark brown, opaque. Thin off-white persistent head.

Smell - Pretty light. What's there is a bit of roasted malt and yeast.

Taste - Starts with mild roasted malt. Coffee flavor, but not overpowering. Finishes sour and lingering. Actually seems a bit thin in the flavor department, but certainly not offensive.

Mouthfeel - Creamy start, but finishes oddly watery. Carbonation not noticeable.

Drinkability - It's Guinness, how could you hate it. I certainly don't, but I can't say it's as good as I once believed. It is better than a macrolager and since it's ubiquitous even a bad beer bar will have this and probably give you a glass if you order one. I'm glad it's around, but I personally don't drink Guinness much anymore.

09-23-2008 01:45:14 | More by scaliasux
dananabanana

3.35/5  rDev -4%

A: Thick, white, creamy head. Foam clings. Dark brown. The archetypical stout.

S: Chocolate and cream.

T: Chocolate and cream still there, slight coffee notes. Very sweet on the tip of the tongue. A little hops in the back of the throat. Not as rich as other stouts.

M: Creamy, well-balanced carbonation.

D: I could drink one easily, but probably not a second.

Definitely get Guinness if it's between Guinness and a watery American macrobrew. If it's between Guinness and another stout, go for the other stout. Unfortunately, the former choice is the one you will have at many US bars.

09-21-2008 13:31:13 | More by dananabanana
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

2.55/5  rDev -26.9%

Two tastes - weak coffee and bitter beer. Drink it straight from the bottle is the motto. However the best we can say is its coffee appearance and huge creamy head that stays there. OK to drink if you're drinking something after to take away the taste.

09-15-2008 15:55:44 | More by Sammy
Rennpferd

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured ice cold from a nitro can into an Imperial Pint.

It poured super creamy and full of layering activity. A nice dark body formed under the nitro creamed layer and a nice two finger velvet cream head formed after everything simmered down.

It smelled of rich roasted malt and had a nice coffee undertone that seemed to have an undertone of toffee all of it's own.

A pronounced taste of roasted malt, a hint of coffee. The coffee tones were very subdued and enhanced the roasted malt instead of overpowering it. It was smooth and creamy. Very nice.

This is a great beer to sit back with on a hot evening and enjoy. I like to milk these in order to enjoy the changing characteristics as it warms.

09-12-2008 22:28:51 | More by Rennpferd
techtatu

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Lovely dark color and cream colored head. Lots of lacing left on the glass. It gives off the aroma of coffee and dark chocolate.

Not as strong as the stout and goes well with an Irish Car Bomb. Yes I know it's a mixed drink but its what got me to try Guinness the first time.

09-11-2008 18:08:16 | More by techtatu
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Not the biggest expert on stouts. Apparently I wasn't supposed to pour this, but I did before realizing that. Oops.

Appearance: Black with a creamy head that has good retention. Till the finish.

Aroma: Roasted malts mainly, bit of coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Little bitterness, but the roasted malts and the coffee are the predominant flavors. Also a hint of chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth going down

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable, even though having more than a couple of these doesn't go well with me.

Overall a pretty decent stout..not the best out there though. Certainly don't mind having one of these every now and then.

09-09-2008 05:24:51 | More by kshankar
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.