Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Impressive pour, that little nitro tablet did job quite well I must say. When it was all said and done there was a nice finger of head a top the black colored stout. Nose is malty and rich, but only slight roasty and altogether mild for a stout. Flavor is good, but not great, the dark roasted malts come through a bit earthy. The body is lighter than I was expecting and the nitro show is over leaving it a bit, well, flat. Overall is not to bad and the drinkability is fair. The best part was the initial show however.

SickBrew, Feb 22, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured this 14.9 oz. can into a Guinness glass (gift pack). No date. The trademark upward cascade is always impressive. Creamy bubbles tumble upward in a rhythmic pattern. The stiff head sits on a clear yet dark brown body. The head remains throughout. The appearance of this one is the highlight.

Smell was nice but one-dimensional. Over-roasted coffee beans.

Taste was roasted malts with a mild sweetness. Weak coffee. Very light nuttiness. Kind of bland really.

Mouthfeel was thin but silky. All of the carbonation was in the head, not the body.

Cresant, Feb 17, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Not black. Indeed, I've had darker porters. And those with more taste too. It has a bitterness that puts some people off, but without it I fear there would be not much to taste. However, this is a drinkable stout, and, in my area (New York) affordable. On sale, in glass, it's about $1.10 for the 11.2 oz (9.8 cents per oz). In the cans, I just got it for about $1.12 for 14.9 oz (7.5 cent per oz). So, it's about 90 cents per 3/4 pint while cheap beer is 66 cents- not much more. Even though it's watered down, it's cheap for stout and the only one in my area. It's an affordable beer, widely available, with great branding. My favorite part though is the pouring of the glass "draught" Guinness into a glass and watching the bubbles- it is the most beautiful of beers.

CaptYellow, Feb 15, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the can into a large pint. Had at around 50 degrees or so.

A: Seeing the nitrogen cascade is always a beautiful thing. Thin head which doesn't last very long. Almost pitch black.

S: Very malty.

T: Aftertaste is very light in smoke, almost like a French roast coffee.

M: Dry and light. Expected it to be thicker.

D: Easy to drink and enjoy.

jlb307, Feb 15, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Guinness looks wonderful. Poured into a glass, it's pitch black but has dark ruby edges in the right light. A tan, thick frothy head that cascades down. The head is there until the end.

Had this on tap in London before - it can take over a minute to pour to let the head settle. Enjoyed it much more on tap, especially in the U.K. than in the U.S. Nitro can is preferred over the bottle though.

It's easy to drink as nothing is overpowering, but perhaps that's also its downside - I think it lacks a bit of character. But it tastes earthy, it's very creamy, has slight coffee and chocolate notes and has very little carbonation. Slightly bitter finish.

Galathil, Feb 14, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

A: Nice dark brown in color. Nitro gadget produces some cascading effect. Carmel colored head.

S: Hint of malt. Not much else.

T: Smooth with a small amount of carbonation.

M: Very smooth

D: Watered-down, bitter aftertaste. Nitro-bottle no where near the same as a Guinness on tap.

cameraready, Feb 12, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle that insists I "drink straight from the bottle." Not gonna happen tonight...

Pours a dark, possibly completely opaque black color that produces a creamy tan head which doesn't last long and leaves only minimal lacing.

Smells lightly of coffee, some licorice and roasted malt. None of which were easily recognizable but if you hunt a little, its there.

Taste of roasted malt and not much else. Hints of coffee every now and then but still seems watered down.

A dry, medium bodied beer with light carbonation. Has its moments but nothing exciting. I probably wouldn't want another, in fact I'm reminded why I haven't tried this in so long. Seems completely overpriced to me and just not worth it.

Vengeance526, Feb 07, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from the can and there's that cascading head, a treat to watch. There's a one finger head of foam after things settle down. It looks black but I can see some red shing through.

The smell has some roasted malt and a touch of chocolate but they are both very light on my nose.

The taste has light notes of roasted malt and coffee with an even lighter note of chocolate. There's some bitterness here with a touch of a slight sourness but the latter is in no way offensive to me. Like I said, the flavours are there but are a tad too weak to make it an interesting brew to drink.

The mouthfeel is typical for a brew packaged this way..it feels thicker than it actually is.

Drinkability? It's very easy drinking (so that's certainly not a problem) with the caveat that I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more but if it's on tap with the usual macro suspects, I'd go for it.

Bitterbill, Feb 06, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

A - I don't care for the bottle so much, reminds me of one of those football stadium plastic things... but the beer itself is pretty. Very very dark red to brown that lets very little light through. Has the classic tan thick creamy foamy head. Lacing continues down the glass.

S - Smells like one of those irish cream flavored creamers you put in your coffee. Slight maltiness as well, but very subdued.

T/M - About all there is to say is that its creamy creamy and more creamy. You'd expect there to be other flavors there, but there isn't really. There's a malt flavor that sticks in your mouth as you finish. It's rather unique in it's lack of complexity. That isn't to say it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much. Feels rather thick in your mouth though, like... well... heavy cream or half and half.

D - low alcohol and a pleasant (if mundane) flavor make this a beer you can drink forever.

MunchkinDrinker, Feb 05, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours black with off-white head and good patchy lacing, head lasts till the end of the glass. Aroma is light roasted coffee, smoke, some dark chocolate. Taste is similar with bittery aftertaste. Medium and very creamy mouthfeel - it seems there is too much of that creaminess.

Overall, not a bad stout, but certainly not the best there is. Still, I would say that Guiness is one of the best international macros in the world.

atis, Feb 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

I never understood why people enjoy this. I love stouts, but this is...bad. I have had it multiple times from a nitro-bottle, but my best experience, nitro-tap, is presented here.

23 oz of Guinness were served in a frosted 23oz pilsner...it was at BW3s...go figure.

A - black, like a stout should be, there are some hints of ruby at the edges, but it's pretty dark, but not as dark as it's much better tasting cousin Extra Stout. It had a small 1.5cm head.

S - roasted barley, coffee, smoke, tobacco.

T - basically: coffee and cigarettes. roasted barley, coffee, smoke, tobacco, and throw together with a very, very dry finish.

M - incredible. the creamiest beer I have ever had.

D - I despise this beer. Once, I did manage to stomach it by taking a drink and chasing it with Jager, but since Jager tastes like an asshole, I had to chase it with some Guinness. This cycle of perpetual drinking got me hammered pretty quickly.

Note: I realized that my original review wasn't objective, so I altered the ratings to ignore my feeling of the style.

bowersdm, Feb 02, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from 14oz can with nitro ball

A- Absolutely pitch black with an awesome cascading effect. As the nitro-injection settles it forms a perfect finger width, creamy, foamy, tight off-white head. It's sticks to the glass and the head consistency remains all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S- Very pleasant aroma of sweet and roasted malts. Slight caramel notes with a bit of smokiness.

T- Malt is nicely roasted with little astringency. The roasted malts flavors are smoky, coffee, slight chocolaty. Follows with a very slight floral hop flavor. There's a slightly astringent bite, that works nicely with the sweet roasted malt flavors.

M- Medium bodied with a silky smooth mouthfeel and oh so creamy. mmmm.

D- Very drinkable. Light and low alcohol. Makes for a good session.

sentomaster, Feb 02, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I used to have one or two of these only on St. Patrick's day, like the rest of the beer-drinking world, until I went to Ireland a few years ago. There, it seems to often be the only non-lager available at pubs throughout the countryside, and I got my fill of it, and then some. Haven't had it in a while, but there's something about a dark pub and those ubiquitous black Guinness skirts that the waitresses wear.

A full UK pint arrives at the table in my local Irish, and looks to be an opaque black, with reddish cola highlights, barely perceptible in the low backlighting of the pub, and one finger of a perfectly solid, foamy, caked tan head, which leaves a patchwork of mesa profile lace around the glass as it very slowly abates.

It smells of nutty, lightly roasted grainy malt, with subtle ministrations of bittersweet chocolate and cold coffee grounds. The taste is dry toasty caramel malt, a mild floral hoppiness, some ethereal pithy drupe fruitiness, and a swirling cafe au lait character. Nothing particularly hoppy manifests.

There is indeed very little carbonation, the body surprisingly medium-light, a tad creamy, and definitely smooth, though it somehow feels like it's sticking to the roof of my mouth. It finishes dry, with a redux of that aromatic toasted nuttiness.

Overall, hey, it's Guinness - mild stout flavours and an easy quaffing quotient make it a reliable option for a session of whiskey and ale interlacing. Add in the decidedly un-American ABV levels, and you're good to go, once you convince your eyes that this is not actually heavy in the slightest.

biboergosum, Feb 01, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Enjoy straight from the bottle? Sorry, but I'm doing a review so this is going in the pint glass. Wait a minute.. what is that clicking? Upon looking at the bottle there is apparently some sort of rocket contraption in here that will allow me to enjoy this as if it were served on tap.. well, here goes nothing. Pours a dark black with a creamy white head and the standard brownish alive cool looking action in the beer before it settles to black with the cream head that lasts. This is not lacing, as the beer moves from the glass the creamy composition of the head literally stays on the glass. Smells of coffee and faint chocolate. Tastes primarily of watered down coffee, a faint chocolate and a little nutty. The beer feels both creamy and watery, no carbonation. The Guinness Stout products I've had are robust and full of flavor, this is relatively very watered down. At least it looks cool.

tconboy, Jan 30, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

A: ordered a pint at an Irish pub. Black color with only the slightest fringe of brown. Enormous, creamy, dense head.

S: earthy, very forward dark malts, a little brown sugar, smidgen of banana ester.

T: bitter, burnt malt. Not much else.

M: ultra creamy and light, no matter what anyone says!

D: the ultimate session beer.

Richardberg, Jan 30, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

on tap.

Pours a good looking black body with slightly red edges. Creamy, good sized, tan head floats atop - with good lacing and good retention. Good looking, even though I know the rest of the beer lacks.

Smell is of roasted barley and sweet malts. Not very strong, and nothing else I can detect really.

Taste is of caramel, roasted coffee, hints of chocolate. On paper, it doesn't sound too bad, but all of these flavors are just completely, totally watered down. It's actually almost like coffee/caramel/chocolate flavored water.

The mouthfeel suffers as well due to the watering down. It's creamy, yes, but definitely not what it can and should be. Carbonation is pretty much non-existent. I couldn't drink more than a pint of this on any given night - it's just not my thing. There's nothing really to it.

TMB0424, Jan 28, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

I had only ever had Guinness on tap at a bar so I decided to give the "widget" can a try.

A- That classic dark black color with a creamy tan head that stays with you the whole way down.

S- Strong roasted barley scent with caramel hints

T- A bit of roasted creamy barley flavor. Very little carbonation and a slightly bitter finish.

M- Smooth and creamy but a little bit watery from the can as opposed to on tap.

D- Depends on specific taste. I personally would only enjoy one or two guinness in a setting but I have heard of some that make it a session beer. Overall this is the world standard for stout beer that isn't the best one out there but certainly is worth a try.

projectflam86, Jan 26, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

You know what? Screw all this A S T M D stuff. I ain't holding this in a glass up to the light, I ain't swriling it around. I'm not smelling it like the cotton patch on my wifes dirty panties.

THIS

IS

GUINNESS.

This is lower in carbs and calories than Budwieser. This is MY lawnmower beer. I can drink it all day and maintain. I can cook with it on March 17th, and plow through it for 15 hours until I move to Baileys on ice around March 18th at 5AM. My American heart pumps Irish blood, and this beer would be my desert island choice. Slainte!

HalenRush, Jan 26, 2009

Guinness Draught
Guinness Ltd.
Style: Irish Dry Stout
ABV = 4.2

2 beers tested, 10/1/09 (from bottle & glass)

as suggested from bottle
A 0.0 - n/a

poured into a glass
A 4.0 - cool carbo style, 1 finger head, frothy head, expresso bean color
S 2.5 - chocolate toasty maltiness - but subtle -I had to try hard
T 2.0 - bitter watery expresso malt notes
MF 2.0 - watery stale coffee taste, is this nitrogen thing a gimmick?
D 1.0 - I poured this out, terrible example of a stout, I would not drink this for free - seriously - I am not trying to slam this beer but its undrinkable in my opinion.

unclejimbay, Jan 21, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +34.1%

I had to come to the rescue of this beer, and the pride of the Irish in general. First of all, don't drink this out of a bottle or can, it will taste like crap. This review is solely based on my experience with Guinness, straight from the tap in a classic Irish pub in Dublin, which I assure you is quite different than cracking open a can and pouring it into an Irish Car Bomb. Now,Guinness on tap in CA is crap, in New York it's pretty good, in western Ireland is pretty damn good, and in Dublin is fucking amazing. The appearance is thick, like motor oil, with a beautifully dense creamy head. The smell is a bit hard for me to detect, but it's the classic "stout" smell, if you catch my drift. The taste was absolutely wonderful, thick, creamy, chocolatey. The drinkability can be judged by the general happiness and hospitality of the Irish people, who rightfully use this as their lifeblood to write poems, carry on amazing traditional music sessions, and appreciate nature. Ok ok, am I rambling here? To conclude, drink this in Dublin from a pint poured by an expert barman, rather than out of a can or in a car bomb. That'll be all, now.

raoulduke37, Jan 21, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

It says drink from the bottle, but I always pour into my trusty Sam Adams Glass.

Pours a little dark, bubbles, chocolate, and caramel colors are prevalent

smell is good

The taste is good, creamy and the beer finishes well

The mouthfeel is good, very solid for a liquid.

The beer is very drinkable, and legendary Guinness is outstanding!

ncbeermonger, Jan 18, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Dark in color with an amazingly frothy head. Looks quite good.

S- Not much smell to this beer. Some toasty and espresso notes.

T- A great dry stout. Toasty notes, come coffee and chocolate notes also come through on the finish.

M- I LOVE the mouthfeel of guinness. SUPER creamy. Very little carbonation, but in this case, it's fine by me.

D- Very Drinkable. I find myself polishing off pints in no time flat.

For 35 a case, there are other beers I would rather drink, but I keep a 6 pk on hand for those nights where i just want a creamy smooth stout.

taylor714914, Jan 17, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +37.5%

There are not many other stouts that can compare to Guinness in my honest opinion. I have had numerous others and they are just not as good.

Everything from the creamy head that lasts even after all the liquid is gone in the glass, to the deep dark color and complex strong smooth flavour with relatively low alcohol content, makes this one of my all time favorite beers ever.

I will say though that this has varying steps of "amazingness". Starting from fully amazing to less amazing here are the steps:

1) This extremely amazing when served on tap anywhere in the British Isles.
2) Very good served on tap in other parts of the world.
3) Quite good when served in the draught can with the widget.
4) Not as good when served in a bottle. When it doesn't have the gas release widget to give it that creamy effect, its just not as good.

barleysandwich, Jan 14, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours black with some ruby highlights when held up to light. It has a beautiful off white head that lasts throughout. The nose is nothing over powering, but there are hints of chocolate and licorice. The taste is much like the nose, except with a touch of coffee. This beer is rather easy to drink as the taste is nothing overpowering. The mouthfeel in the nitro-bottle is somewhat thin especially compared to this on tap. While this was a decent drinking experience there are much better stouts out there which I would rather spend my money and time drinking.

thegodfather2701, Jan 14, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours black with a cool-looking, cascading-foam effect that eventually leaves a one-finger light yellow/gray cap. Slight lacing. Smells faintly of slightly sweet dark. If I strain I think I get a bit of coffee/chocolate, but that may be wishful thinking. Tastes similarly weakly, though slight bittersweet chocolate comes through. Really mild and just plain characterless.

philipquarles, Jan 14, 2009
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.