Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
schanker21

2.15/5  rDev -38.4%

Guinness Draught is the joke of all stouts. Its appearance is its only saving grace as it is quite dark and leaves a good-sized, long-lasting head, which also leaves some good lacing. Once you get past that, there's not much good to be said. Smells like a watered-down stout and it tastes like one too. Honestly, where is the taste in this? Especially when compared with its Extra Stout brother, this one is just weak. For me, it's even hard to finish one just because it's so watered-down. Dear Guinness, please make Extra Stout your standard style.

07-28-2008 21:28:49 | More by schanker21
DIM

3.35/5  rDev -4%

This is the best looking beer ever imo. The creamy, bone white head on top of the black body is quite a sight. Aside from a great creamy texture, this is just an average offering. Mild roasty smells and flavors, little else. Certainly drinkable given how light it is, but why bother?

07-28-2008 10:52:17 | More by DIM
MayorAdamWest

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance - Slight ruby hew when held to the light. Thick head that dissipates slowly. Lacing remains throughout the pint.

Smell - Slightly watered down. Hints of coffee and chocolate malts. Little to no hops notes.

Taste - Bitter coffee and dark chocolate notes...not as heavy as most stouts. Flavor quickly evaporates from your palette, leaving behind that watered down feeling from the smell.

Mouthfeel - Silky smooth. Can't say much more than that really. So smooth that it glides down almost.

Drinkability - This is an entry level stout. Not bad, but certainly not as full-bodied as one would hope from the most famous of all stouts. At 4.1% ABV it makes a great session beer...and at 125 calories per 12oz it isn't filling. Personally, I'll stay with Imperial Stouts if I have a choice...if not Guinness is a good standby. Even if I do have problems with their unethical business practices and treatment of the Irish people.

07-22-2008 13:26:21 | More by MayorAdamWest
tgbljb

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Served as a very deep brown colored beer with moderate white creamy head. Great retention with attractive lacing.

Smell is loaded with roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate.

Taste also has nice roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate flavors.

Flavor retention is fair.

A pleasant enough beer. I like the extra stout bottle much better.

07-20-2008 20:07:33 | More by tgbljb
Kyle987

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

Extremely dark, near-black color with absurdly strong, creamy head and lacing; it just sticks to the side of the glass. Smell is rather weak. Flavor is decent; some malt and coffee, with a more bitter finish. Mouthfeel is very heavy, full and creamy - very smooth, but unexciting. I prefer the Extra Stout, which has more carbonation. Overall a good, thick and solid beer. But not spectacular.

07-15-2008 23:07:24 | More by Kyle987
OtherShoe2

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

Proper pour from nitro can into a pint glass. Nice, dense creamy head and bubbly cascading brown-turning-black body of the drink.

Smell is not a factor here, as there isn't much to work with.

You actually have 2 parts of the beverage to taste here. First, the head -- creamy, mild roasted grain that coats your tongue and lips, and dominates the flavors of the rest of the brew. The rest is a carbonized grain flavor, nothing else really.

A stout for non-stout drinkers. Sad -- as it is not like the stuff you get in Dublin. These are very easy drinking, as they lack much character at all. And, if you are unfortunate to have one poured where the head is non-existent, you miss the most pleasing, dominant flavors. Wow, am i giving a thumbs down to a legend? Not really -- I'd still drink this over Bud any day, but this represents a sad example of the true nature of the original.

07-13-2008 20:58:31 | More by OtherShoe2
lapbplayr

4.38/5  rDev +25.5%

If you cut my arms, I do not bleed blood but Guinness. This Is a black beer that has the cool reverse bubbles flowing up from the bottom. the smell is mild. The taste is slightly sour, with smooth malt notes and a good balance of hops. The mouth feel from the Nitro is very nice. It is a full but light mouth feel. The drinkability is surprising easy, you'll put away three before you know it.

07-06-2008 17:43:27 | More by lapbplayr
midaszero

Washington

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from nitro-can into pint glass

A - Dark black with good head and lacing like normal nitro-can beers

S - roasty smell with hints of coffee and malt

T - good flavor with lots of little flavors floating around. it can almost be a surprise what I notice each time

M - Creamy and smooth going down

D - I don't drink this much at home anymore from the can's but it is an easy to go beer in almost any beer or restaurant

07-03-2008 22:57:29 | More by midaszero
orcasteve

4.47/5  rDev +28.1%

this was black as midnight, and somth as silk, form the first sip i was hooked, a nice dark roast coffie start and smooth finish, this was less bitter than the extra stout vershion, i love this one, this is a bit thicker than your starter beers but i love it, also try this one in a black and tan (every sip is a difrent flavor)

07-02-2008 19:58:28 | More by orcasteve
atigerlife

Hawaii

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Pours a dark brown with light brown highlights. Creamy brown head [as one would expect with a nitro bottle] that lasts. Head not as big as other nitros I've had, but certainly creamy.

Aroma of coffee and dark malts.

Taste of coffee and roasted malts.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, dry and decently cleansing. A little lighter than I would want in a stout.

Overall, certainly very drinkable and sessionable.

06-29-2008 18:04:11 | More by atigerlife
GoodKnight1220

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

I got this beer on tap at a local bar.

It had a nice thick 2 finger brown head and poured a black color. Good looking beer.

Smell was not really there light coffee roast and sweet malt, but very faint.

I am not impressed with the taste at all, it is not a strong flavored beer, it seems a little too weak on flavor. I tasted a lot of malt and it ended with a slight roast.

The feel is alright needs a bit more carbonation or less malt, too watery for me.

Could put back a few but really wouldn't want to. Could get something much better.

06-28-2008 20:44:24 | More by GoodKnight1220
LouieF

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this served poured from a can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very very dark brown with a thick tan head that stays present the entire time with lacing all the way through.

Smell: Very vague smell of coffee and chocolate but what threw me off was that there was also a slightly present metallic smell. I attribute this to the can it was poured from.

Taste: Coffee and chocolate with some mild bitterness and the same slight metallic character from the smell.

Mouthfeel: Not what I expected. I expected a much thicker mouthfeel however I was not unhappy with what I got. It was slightly watery but what made up for it was the mild carbonation.

Drinkability: I don't know if I'd come running back to this, especially if there are other Irish Stouts available but given the selection at the place that I got this, it was probably the best I was going to do anyway. All In all I'd say it was a decent beer but nothing remarkable.

06-21-2008 20:39:03 | More by LouieF
PatrickJR

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Had this on tap at JP Looney's in Greensboro.

A - Opaque black with about 1/2 inch head. Great retention, minimal lacing.

S - Coffee and chocolate in a very generic way, some vague roaste characteristics.

T - Mostly a bitter chocolate flavor backed by some coffee. Finishes bitter as well, something similar to burnt toast.

M - Extremely smooth and low carbonation.

D - Easy to get down due to mouthfeel, but the flavor isn't something I want to experience for hours on end. Furthermore, this brew is an over-hyped representation of the style, and is somewhat bland.

06-21-2008 08:53:22 | More by PatrickJR
jamiejohnson

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

I think the key to enjoying this brew is to prepare yourself mentally for a light beer - don't let the darkness lead your expectations. I drink it when I want to drink several beers (and when it's on sale.) Guinness is a lifesaver in some countries where the lone Irish pub is your only oasis.

Oh my goodness,
Such a black beer.
Lighten me up,
Spread'n cheer

06-17-2008 23:48:48 | More by jamiejohnson
HomeRunBaker

Rhode Island

4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

There is a massive difference between Guinness on-tap and Guinness bottled. On-tap is one of my favorites, while bottled is barely drinkable. Definitely give Guinness a try on-tap before making judgment.

This Guinness was great. The brew was completely black with a finger-length white head. The composition between the two was perfect -- it was so even and exact that it looked fake. I couldn't stop staring. The beer had a roasted, dry taste, just what you would expect from a Guinness. The head lasted all the way to the last sip, and provided the perfect creaminess to balance the dryness. I enjoyed this one profusely and will continue to drink it only from the tap.

06-15-2008 15:35:33 | More by HomeRunBaker
BamaBeerBuff

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Beautiful cascading nitro-show produces a deep black color with a thick, creamy head that leaves monstrous amounts of creamy lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Very weak, I can detect the smallest amount of roasted malt and some grainy barley.

T&M: Light roasted coffee malt with some sourness and hop bitterness on the back end. Not robust or anything, but still decent. Feel is creamy with a light body and very smooth. Still, the feel is a bit watery, which really detracts from the flavor.

D: It's easy to drink, but more flavor would really help this along. I just don't see what all the craze for Guinness is about.

06-05-2008 17:13:24 | More by BamaBeerBuff
tbeck

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance - Poured into a dark stout with a white creamy head

Smell - Minor smell, not enough to pull you in but did not turn you off either

Taste - Not much flavor, slight coffee aftertaste. Creamy, but not sweet.

Mouthfeel - Excellent, very smooth with no bite. Good texture, but not overpowering.

Drinkability - Excellent session beer. With the smoothness I can easily drink a couple with buddies. On a hot day it may be a little heavy.

Very enjoyable beer, not the taste and experience of a belgian but I feel is one of my favorite session beers.

06-05-2008 04:13:04 | More by tbeck
Onenote81

2.17/5  rDev -37.8%

Well, looks like I'll be in the minority here. My first mistake was getting this from a can. Poured a nice dark earthy brown with good head. Smelled a little roasted. Then I tasted it and it was awful. It had the taste of burned up dirty rags. The group I was with was sipping away, but I couldn't even finish mine. Then I heard that the closer one gets to where Guinness is brewed, the better it tastes, like melted butter. Well, NC is a far cry from Ireland, so I don't plan on choosing this again until I get to the land o' the Irish. There are plenty of better stouts here for me to enjoy. Sorry, but I was sorely dissappointed.

06-03-2008 21:24:01 | More by Onenote81
hoegaardenhero

2.68/5  rDev -23.2%

a: nice brown/black body with frothy white foam and some lacing

s: almost no scent; hints of coffee and chocolate

t: some metallic flavor followed by some milkyness and a bit of chocolate and coffee; not very flavorful

m: a little on the watery side but still pretty creamy and smooth

d: there are a lot of stouts that taste better out of the can than this one

05-31-2008 16:45:31 | More by hoegaardenhero
beermebeerman

Oregon

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance- Pours a chocolatey brown while the beer settles to a dark mud brown. Head is an off-white 2 finger beauty. Always leaves solid lacing down the glass.
Smell- Not much aroma, slightly roasted.
Taste- Slightly soured taste with roasted overtones.
Mouthfeel- Nirto makes this beer. Letting it go flat before drinking is a crime. Drink with plenty of foam on the top!
Drinkability is very high. I can quaff many a can before succumbing to sleep. Not the best Irish dry ever but something that every beer drinker needs to drink at least once.

05-31-2008 00:32:03 | More by beermebeerman
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Draft served on beer gas. Dark black with perfect creamy head:

Smell: Roasted flavors. Not much hops

Taste: Wonderful sour roastedness. Sort of astringent.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, puckering from sourness.

Drinkability: always very good choice at any time.

05-24-2008 01:12:24 | More by Squelch
MeLikeBeer

2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

This was the beer that first turned me away from the big three, so I think it's always got a fond place in my heart, but that's about as far as it goes.

Comes in a Guinness tulip glass with the famous cascading pour and thick head with the cloverleaf on top. At least it was poured correctly.
Smells vaguely of wheat and malt.
Tastes, watery...compared with other, bigger craft stouts, this is almost like water. I can taste the roast flavors but just barely.
It is very smooth and very drinkable. It's probably what attracted me to it years ago.
I'll have Guinness again, I'm sure, but it's not the same as when I first started drinking it.

05-21-2008 23:14:47 | More by MeLikeBeer
billybob

2.85/5  rDev -18.3%

very dark brown in color with a one finger beige head thats like shaving cream, lacing is a continuous sheet down the glass. weak aromas of roasted malt and coffee. taste same, very weak and watery with low carbonation very disappointing. i do like guinness but i will not buy the guinness draught again.

05-21-2008 15:39:10 | More by billybob
tedpeer

Iowa

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

A - 14.9 ounce nitro can poured into a pint. Black pour, surge, settling into a half inch creamy head. Lacing all the way to the end. This is the way a beer is supposed to look.

S - Slight coffee smell

T - Finishes slightly bitter

M/D - Creamy mouthfull. Drink it all night long.

05-19-2008 01:36:59 | More by tedpeer
engisch

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Everyone knows Guinness... And that is for good reason. I have to say this beer is the best "light" beer I've ever had. At 125 calories for a 12 oz serving it is a hard one to beat. It is a beer I look forward to to top off any night out drinking. It is full of flavor, it has a very dark (black) color, and it has a creamy head that cascades as it settles from the pour. If you have not had a Guinness Draught then get out of that cave you are living in and go get one. You may or may not care for it, but I feel the majority of people that try one, would have it again. I consider it the "gateway" beer for more exciting beer drinking. Although it is not my favorite beer, I rank it very highly for a very drinkable stout. Personally for its style I would prefer a Murphy's, but they are harder to find.

05-18-2008 17:48:54 | More by engisch
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.