Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.33/5  rDev -33.2%

Purchased a four pack of cans. Why? Don't know but will say that when you open the can and pour it into a glass it is impressive. Nice black beer with a heavy, creamy head and lots of nitro bubbles. Unfortumately, not much aroma. A little bit of roasted malt. Taste - weak, kind of bland. Once again, a little malt comes through, no hops (do they even ue hops in the beer?).

IceHog, Mar 13, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +16.9%

A: this is one of the rare fun beers to watch. Obviously from the nitro. Color is very dark brown with creamy brown head that does last to the bottom. Which is when you get that treat of a dollop of foam to finish. Head seems to be a little more full on tap than bottle or can.

S: not much smell to me. It's fresh, slightly tangy but not a lot going on in this department.

T: nice weak roast flavor with just enough sour to make it distinct. This is not a bold stout but a session stout so the flavors tend to be minimized. but they are good. The nitro tap seems to be the most flavorful to me. However I do taste variations from bar to bar. but the tap is the way to drink this.

M: good flat smooth feel.

D: very drinkable, and light. the nitro makes this go down smoothly with little gas filling you up.

Naugled, Mar 12, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Pours a thick, nearly opaque dark brown color with the standard cascading effect. The dense, creamy head is medium-sized and light tan in color. Retention is great and thick, foamy lacing trails down the top of the glass.

S: Some faint roasted malt. Watered down coffee and subdued chocolate are also detectable. Perhaps a slight earthy note.

T: Mild roasted malt flavors, along with some lactic sweetness. The dark chocolaty notes acquit themselves well, although they're still somewhat subdued. Hints of charcoal and coffee are also present. Some faint earthy and leafy hop flavors add a light bitterness into the finish.

M: Light bodied, almost watery - but quite creamy thanks to the nitrogen. Finishes a bit dry.

D: Very easy to drink, with an appealingly soft mouthfeel. It's certainly not robust or full-bodied, and I can't really say this is a great beer, but once in awhile I just have a craving for something like this, and it gets the job done.

Clydesdale, Mar 11, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

So you can't really review this by pouring. The nitrogen widget inside the bottle lets out a small amount of nitrogen each time it is tipped to try to replicate a mini draft each time so by pouring the entire bottle out at once, you kinda lose the point of having this bottle. However, the can is intended to be poured and will not be correct out of the can. So with that said, I think this is better than most reviews. Definitely not the best stout in the world, but I enjoy it as a lighter feeling dark beer with a unique taste that is easy to drink.

shanem, Mar 10, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

With St. Paddy's Day coming up I felt a review was due...

A - Thing of beauty, the nitro with its cream, tan, brown, and black coloring. It can not be improved unless there is a nice lass behind the bar.

S - Nothing special. The nitro scent covered a lot of the roasted malt flavor.

T - There is roasted malt a wee bit of hops and a full body nitro creaminess. However it consistently seems watery no matter where I have it. Its similar to a liquid immisciblity- the water and the creamy stout.

M - Once you get past the consistently thick head, the roasted malt flavors rest on your tongue

D - For a stout, its very drinkable and at least for me its not to filling.

TubaManJack, Mar 10, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

Appearance- Jet black but off the pour beautiful brown carbonation over takes the glass and slowly cascades down the side, so beautifully nitrogen carbonated, so beautiful

Smell- Roasted malts, slight espresso and nuts, lots of bitter nuts, slight corn and grain

Taste- roasted malts, espresso slightly, nice bitter tone on the finish of the roasted malts, creamy and delicous, so great,

Mouthfeel- Creamy soft and great while still being light bodied

Drinkability- Amazingly session able and quafible, a great beer so unique so soft smooth and creamy, a great occasional unique visit i love this beer so much for all it is, great and a classic, unique and hall of fame worthy

Stunner97, Mar 09, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

A: as usual, one of the only fun beers to watch in the glass as golden and brown cascading bubbles hypnotically draw you in. Dense and smooth mocha colored head well into the two-finger rule. Good head retention and laced followed only from where I drank at first and then dispersed to coat the walls of the glass

S: thin watery grains and whiff of stale coffee

T: timid flavor profile of roasted notes of grains and barley. It is hard to say coffee flavors in the mix, more or less they are weak and offer up a slight nutty character

M: this is what makes this beer possible! The timid flavors allow for the creamy, slick and smooth body, close to black gold in some regards, for very easy drinkability. Top notch points for this

D: always mixed feelings about this brew. I respect, and yet, loathe this beer in some ways. Last I was in Ireland I put on my "Guinness Drinking Shoes" and they were soaked by the end of the trip. I grew tired in some ways of this staple and yet if I get the chance to have it, I never pass on it

Magpie14, Mar 07, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I feel like this beer is one of the best beers out of a can. It has such a nice pour and head, goes down smooth and tasty, and leaves you drooling for more. Plus I can almost say that it tastes better in the nitro-can than it does out of the tap but i must emphasize the word almost.

BLACKOUT0213, Mar 05, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

The bros really hammered this one. I'll agree that it's certainly no world class brew, but often times I'll find myself in a bar, and the choice will be Guinness or piss -- guess which one I choose? The fact that it's so widely distributed is nice.

A - As far as stouts go, you're not going to find one looking much nicer than a nitroed Guinness. Maybe a nitroed Dub Chocho, but I digress.

S - Nothing exceptional. A neutered roasted character, as the bros have suggested. Some of the sourness that Guinness is known for. Not bad though, especially when compared to BMC piss.

T - Again, not mind-blowing, but at least it has some semblance of complexity. Definitely not bad. Not great, but not bad.

M - It'd be really excellent if that nitro creaminess was backed up by a bit more body, but you can't win 'em all, I suppose.

D - Very drinkable. Indeed, a benchmark of drinkability.

At the end of the day, this is a very sessionable stout, and sometimes I'm frankly in the mood for one, if for no other reason than a hearkening back to the good ol' days. That said, if there was a "value" rating here on beer advocate, I'd give it a one. For the same price, I'm sure you can get much better stuff. Granted, I haven't priced out a case of Guinness in a long time, but I'm sure it's up in the 40-50 dollar range.

In that sense not worth it, but by the same token Guinness is a Godsend in those situations where you get dragged to some dive bar, and all they have is BMC or Guinness.

JJBlanche, Mar 04, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

This "classic" is a better than average beer, but it seems has been hyped up and overrated by many. Tonight I tried my first legal Guinness, and figured I'd share my thoughts.

Appearance- The famous head is still a trademark of the Guinness name, and after the beer settles, the black and white mix is a marvel to look at.

Smell- As I stuck my nose in it, a nutty, mild smell came to mind. I've always loved that Guinness smell after you empty that can

Taste- The bitterness reminds me of Boddington's Pub Ale, which I had a few days ago. A smooth, easy aftertaste compliments the beer, but after a few swallows, it started to get to me, and I found myself taking longer and longer periods between sips.

Mouthfeel- This creamy, frothy brew is refreshing and smooth

Drinkability- This beer is quite thick and filling, so depending on your tolerance is might fill you up pretty quick.

mikeal1917, Mar 04, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

I think i have consumed more Guinness in my life than any other beer.
For a 2 year period i thought Guinness was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I have since expanded my horizons and until i decided to revisit an old friend for the sake of this review. It has been a year or two since i have even had a Guinness.

Lets start with the obvious. There is no prettier beer in my opinion then a properly poured Guinness.
The black color with the thick creamy head cascading still gets my mouth watering just by looking at it.

Unfortunately the smell and taste are not as extraordinary.
Smells of burnt malts and very slightly of coffee.

Taste from the nitro can is defintely watered down.
Mostly bitter with burnt wood flavor.
Mouth feel is really good and this is very drinkable.
Not at all "the meal in a glass" many folks proclaim it to be.

All that said. This is still an all-time favorite of mine. Even if for only sentimental reasons.

BigMike, Mar 03, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

14.9 oz can into a pint glass

A - There is not a better looking beer when it is poured than Guinness. The dark black at the bottom, and that mixture of brown/black/and cream color in the middle as it is poured into the glass, and that cream colored head. It is the best looking beer ever.

S - Roasted smells of malts, chocolate.

T - Deeelicious!!!

M - Medium, rich, a nice full mouthfeel. Even though it is thick, it is not overwhelming, almost a silky thickness and it goes down so easy

D - I can always drink a Guinness, any time of year, it goes well with so many things.

One of my all time favorite beers. I should be a little more descriptive on the taste, but it is a true original in my book.

eporter66, Mar 01, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

appearance- pours an opaque black wit brown highlights. and a one finger head with great retention and lacing.

smell- roasted coffee mainly, which is appealing to me since i love coffee.

taste and mouthfeel- a let down really. coffee flavor is there but it's not even that prominent. mouthfeel does have a very slight creamy quality, but at the same time manages to feel somewhat watery too. stange really.

drinkability- despite the average taste and mouthfeel it is really fairly drinkable due to the fact it isn't to filling and it has a low ABV

heath1agnew, Mar 01, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Looks like a beer on nitro. Thick and silky head that is a very light tan. Body is near black. Decent lacing for nitro.

S: Burnt coffee with cereal, hint of cocoa beans, and something metallic...

T: Not as much here as you'd expect. Guinness is always called that "hearty" beer but it's really lacking out of the can. Very subtle coffee/chocolate and no semblance of anything complex.

M: Carbonation is a tad bit much and the brew is generally too watery for me. On the plus side, it's smooth.

D: Incredibly drinkable. I reject the premise that Guinness is filling - maybe when I was a freshman in college it was, but now it's like water.

leif86, Feb 27, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -36.1%

I have had the Irish elixer several times on tap but I decided to review a bottle from a Christmas gift.

My overall view, I might have got a bad bottle. It tasted rather watered down, and was rather weak compared to other stouts I've had. The appearance was great (and yes I know to pour 2/3 of the bottle, let it setle, then pour the rest) but the flavor was just not up to par. I poured it down the drain.

DesMoinesMike, Feb 26, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Black in color and a frothy milkshake head on retrieval, had to let settle before consumption. Two minutes elapse. Dismal aromatics, some robust malt, a hint of coffee and chocolate can be detected as well. Gulp. Thick as brick, smooth on the intake. Taste of some roast coffee and the dark bitter chocolate come into play. The thickness of the beer make the gulp factor nonexistent. This is the goto beer if its twelve noon on st. patty's day, you're Irish, are you're in one of their establishments. The choice is yours, recommended on those factors alone. Tis the season....

BuffaloTapHugger, Feb 23, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Impressive pour, that little nitro tablet did job quite well I must say. When it was all said and done there was a nice finger of head a top the black colored stout. Nose is malty and rich, but only slight roasty and altogether mild for a stout. Flavor is good, but not great, the dark roasted malts come through a bit earthy. The body is lighter than I was expecting and the nitro show is over leaving it a bit, well, flat. Overall is not to bad and the drinkability is fair. The best part was the initial show however.

SickBrew, Feb 22, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured this 14.9 oz. can into a Guinness glass (gift pack). No date. The trademark upward cascade is always impressive. Creamy bubbles tumble upward in a rhythmic pattern. The stiff head sits on a clear yet dark brown body. The head remains throughout. The appearance of this one is the highlight.

Smell was nice but one-dimensional. Over-roasted coffee beans.

Taste was roasted malts with a mild sweetness. Weak coffee. Very light nuttiness. Kind of bland really.

Mouthfeel was thin but silky. All of the carbonation was in the head, not the body.

Cresant, Feb 17, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Not black. Indeed, I've had darker porters. And those with more taste too. It has a bitterness that puts some people off, but without it I fear there would be not much to taste. However, this is a drinkable stout, and, in my area (New York) affordable. On sale, in glass, it's about $1.10 for the 11.2 oz (9.8 cents per oz). In the cans, I just got it for about $1.12 for 14.9 oz (7.5 cent per oz). So, it's about 90 cents per 3/4 pint while cheap beer is 66 cents- not much more. Even though it's watered down, it's cheap for stout and the only one in my area. It's an affordable beer, widely available, with great branding. My favorite part though is the pouring of the glass "draught" Guinness into a glass and watching the bubbles- it is the most beautiful of beers.

CaptYellow, Feb 15, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the can into a large pint. Had at around 50 degrees or so.

A: Seeing the nitrogen cascade is always a beautiful thing. Thin head which doesn't last very long. Almost pitch black.

S: Very malty.

T: Aftertaste is very light in smoke, almost like a French roast coffee.

M: Dry and light. Expected it to be thicker.

D: Easy to drink and enjoy.

jlb307, Feb 15, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Guinness looks wonderful. Poured into a glass, it's pitch black but has dark ruby edges in the right light. A tan, thick frothy head that cascades down. The head is there until the end.

Had this on tap in London before - it can take over a minute to pour to let the head settle. Enjoyed it much more on tap, especially in the U.K. than in the U.S. Nitro can is preferred over the bottle though.

It's easy to drink as nothing is overpowering, but perhaps that's also its downside - I think it lacks a bit of character. But it tastes earthy, it's very creamy, has slight coffee and chocolate notes and has very little carbonation. Slightly bitter finish.

Galathil, Feb 14, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

A: Nice dark brown in color. Nitro gadget produces some cascading effect. Carmel colored head.

S: Hint of malt. Not much else.

T: Smooth with a small amount of carbonation.

M: Very smooth

D: Watered-down, bitter aftertaste. Nitro-bottle no where near the same as a Guinness on tap.

cameraready, Feb 12, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz. bottle that insists I "drink straight from the bottle." Not gonna happen tonight...

Pours a dark, possibly completely opaque black color that produces a creamy tan head which doesn't last long and leaves only minimal lacing.

Smells lightly of coffee, some licorice and roasted malt. None of which were easily recognizable but if you hunt a little, its there.

Taste of roasted malt and not much else. Hints of coffee every now and then but still seems watered down.

A dry, medium bodied beer with light carbonation. Has its moments but nothing exciting. I probably wouldn't want another, in fact I'm reminded why I haven't tried this in so long. Seems completely overpriced to me and just not worth it.

Vengeance526, Feb 07, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from the can and there's that cascading head, a treat to watch. There's a one finger head of foam after things settle down. It looks black but I can see some red shing through.

The smell has some roasted malt and a touch of chocolate but they are both very light on my nose.

The taste has light notes of roasted malt and coffee with an even lighter note of chocolate. There's some bitterness here with a touch of a slight sourness but the latter is in no way offensive to me. Like I said, the flavours are there but are a tad too weak to make it an interesting brew to drink.

The mouthfeel is typical for a brew packaged this way..it feels thicker than it actually is.

Drinkability? It's very easy drinking (so that's certainly not a problem) with the caveat that I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more but if it's on tap with the usual macro suspects, I'd go for it.

Bitterbill, Feb 06, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

A - I don't care for the bottle so much, reminds me of one of those football stadium plastic things... but the beer itself is pretty. Very very dark red to brown that lets very little light through. Has the classic tan thick creamy foamy head. Lacing continues down the glass.

S - Smells like one of those irish cream flavored creamers you put in your coffee. Slight maltiness as well, but very subdued.

T/M - About all there is to say is that its creamy creamy and more creamy. You'd expect there to be other flavors there, but there isn't really. There's a malt flavor that sticks in your mouth as you finish. It's rather unique in it's lack of complexity. That isn't to say it tastes bad, it just doesn't taste like much. Feels rather thick in your mouth though, like... well... heavy cream or half and half.

D - low alcohol and a pleasant (if mundane) flavor make this a beer you can drink forever.

MunchkinDrinker, Feb 05, 2009
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.