Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Wow. That there is the purdy-est beer I ever seen! Thick tan head that lasts till the very end and the body is black as night.

S - Coffee and caramel malts. A tad smokey.

T - Meh. Way weaker than the appearence would suggest. What you do taste is not that great. Watery with some decent roasted malt.

M&D - A mellow beer that can be fairly easy to drink. I guess the low ABV makes it so that you can toss back a bunch of them, but really...I'd rather not.

lawman834, Apr 14, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

on tap at the local 'guinness official irish pub' here in spain.

appearance is better than anything i've seen - very dark, beautiful brew, 3/4 inch head so thick it seems you can walk on it. Head stays the whole beer and lacing all the way down.

smell was not special, dark malts and alcohol.

if you just hold the beer in your mouth it tastes just like water - all flavor comes from the back of the tongue - nothing but dark bitter malts, but a well balanced bitterness.

mouth feel honestly reminds me of water.

drinkability is average - relatively low abv and water mouth feel means it can keep flowing for quite some time.

batty, Apr 12, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. nitro-bottle into a small pilsner glass - thanks once again to my good friend hyland24. You're the best Hy!

A - This is a good lookin' beer. I love the way it looks like a creamy coffee dessert drink swirling around as the thick creamy head settles to a solid 1 inch. The head sticks around till the end with good lacing throughout.

S - Lots of caramel and coffee with a faint malty aroma.

T - I got a sweet caramel flavor at first with coffee and malt coming through on the finish.

M&D - Despite the thick creamy head and opaque black body, this beer goes down smooth and not too heavy. The low ABV content makes this a good session beer and a perfect choice for those who like a full bodied, full flavored stout that's not too bitter or strong.

I liked this a lot. I look forward to having the real thing in Ireland some day.

Moxley, Apr 12, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Tasty roasted beer good for sessioning due to low ABV.

A- Black and barely translucent. OK lace and good creamy head.

S- Smells like chocolate and coffee. Mocha

T- Tastes like it smells along with some caramel sweetness. Not like a beer should taste but not offensive.

M&D- Feels very good. Creamy and yet quite drinkable

EnojysAnyBeer, Apr 09, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance - Black, dark , roasted appearance, thick almost coffee
Smell - not alot of smell from this can...lost somehow in the translation
Taste - Reminds me of a Guiness but stripped of all the good flavors
Mouthfeel - Weak and watery...not hte thick feel of the pub style draft

Drinkability - Definitely not the original...I could swallow this down if there was no Guiness in sight but would rather hit the tap.

Rsobotka, Apr 08, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Ordered on tap at the Mayflower Inn, San Rafael.

A: Dark, dark red with a thick creamy head cresting the glass. When poured right, it's a work of art.

S: Roasted malts, slight coffee.

T: Just like the smell, the roasted malts come through with a hint of nuttiness, with a somewhat bitter aftertaste.

MF/D: As an Irishman, I feel I'm obliged to include Guinness in my reviews, generally because whenever I'm in a bar and someone meets me, they automatically assume it's my beer of choice. It's a decent beer, one I've enjoyed many times, but not my favourite stout by a long shot. As most on here probably know, the notion that Guinness is "a meal in a glass" is ridiculous, and most stouts are lighter than a lot of beers, so you don't expect a lot of volume, but it's a little watery for me, and I personally am not a fan of the slightly bitter flavour. For a more enjoyable example of Irish stout, I'd go with Murphys.

ubermick, Apr 08, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Slightly opaque reddish black, with a nice, persistent inch thick tan head, once its famous reverse cascade thing finishes. Note it's over much faster then its draft counterpart, which is a bad thing, or a good thing, depending on your priorities.

S: Slight roasted malt, hints of coffee. Nothing overpowering.

T: Like the smell, malts, coffee, with some chocolate. Finish is a nice semisweet

M&D: While the pour suggests otherwise, quite thin, but still nice and smooth. Light carbonation doesn't upset the smoothness. Light enough to enjoy a few of these.

Great beer on tap, and a great feat in making it very similar with their nitro-widget can.

fl0w, Apr 08, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours from the can with a thick creamy tan head, about a finger width deep and the remainder is a solid black with light carbonation. Not as as impressive to watch settle as from the draft.

Smell is light, roasted malts, not much else.

Taste is of light, roasted malts, a little lingering flavor of roastedness but not much going on here. I still enjoy but not as good as from draft.

Mouthfeel is very light, not much carbonation or lingering flavors.

Very drinkable, but based on the fact that there are not many overpowering flavors.

mvanaskie13, Apr 08, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a solid black with a velvety smooth, frothy head about a finger in width that likes to persist.

Smell is weak all around, but there's a bit of roasted maltyness to pick up.

There's some roasted malt flavors going on in the taste, maybe a slight tough of caramel. All-in-all the taste isn't incredibly exciting or complex, but is reliable.

Very smooth, though somewhat thin, feeling in the mouth, and very easily drinkable.

Though some people seem to think Guinness isn't what it used to be, it's still a staple and certainly my mainstream beer of choice (that is, of the beers you can get a place like Chili's or Applebee's, Guinness seems to be the best offer). It may not be the best stout in the world, but is always a reliable fallback.

cjohnson, Apr 07, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours an opaque blackly brown with a milkshake creamy, light tan lid. Light nose of un-sweet chocolate and roasted coffee beans. Light and somewhat watery with a creaminess to the mouthfeel. Cream, dry chocolate, and roasted tasting. Not terrible, not complex, but it is quite sessionable.

Slynger, Apr 03, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Dark brown, leaning towards black, with a lingering carbonation lightening things up a bit.

S: Mild, roasty malts. A coffee roast, quite light chocolate aromas.

T: Some toasted malts, with a bit of bitter coffee and leafy hoppy notes. Creamy chocolates rolled into the mix.

M + D: A little light, but decent enough, I suppose. An easy drinker in that sense, and it provides a reasonable lingering taste if allowed.

Proteus93, Mar 29, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

A-Dark brown with a superb creamy tan head that leaves rings of lacing all the way down.

S-Faint roasty grain....little else.

T-Slight roast with that twang that is only G...but this seems to be toned down from how I use to remember it...maybe I am to use to drinking things like Dark Lord and Kate the Great!

M-Creamy but rather thin...yawn.

D-Not bad but not good either....like a slightly more bodied and slighty roasty Bud...no kidding!

Deuane, Mar 29, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Upon pouring into the Hefe glass... (why I chose this glass... I don't know) it has a beautiful cascading chocolate waterfall down to the bottom of the glass. Picture perfect. When the dust settles it leaves behind a swirled maze of fine carbonation that clings to the glass. Wears a creamy inch tall hat of light-tan foam that refuses to disapate. Lacing is mild, it's more clingy on the edges of the head. When you lift the glass to your lips there will be a foil of bubbles clinging to the glass.

The glass emits a roastytoasty malt characteristic which fuses with dark and unground coffee beans. It's surprisingly light in my opinion, considering the prominent and confident appearance.

I consider this booze mildly bitter and semi-complex. Nothing offensive here in the taste besides the before-mentioned watery characteristic. The roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, burnt bread, and somewhat dry taste make it hard for you to seperate eachother as they gently float over the tongue. Aftertaste does linger, a heavy bitter flavor sits on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability although is high since the surprisingly light nature here. Still don't know the rules on it but i'd consider this a session beer personally.

Irish Car Bombs, anyone?

BleedBlueUSAF, Mar 27, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a nitro tap at the Patriot Bar in New York, NY into a Guinness pint glass.

A- Beer poured brown which faded to black with the typical stout cascade. Almost looks like a waterfall inside the glass. It poured creamy and thick with a 1 and 1/2 inch thick tan head which stayed present throughout the entire consumption.

S- Hints of roasted malt, hints of coffee with a slight bitter smell.

T- Very nice roasted malt/barley taste, with hints of coffee and chocolate.

MF&D- Thinner than the pour would leave you to believe, although creamy enough to coat the mouth well. Great beer that is light enough to session even though its a stout.

hyland24, Mar 27, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

Myth: Guinness in Ireland tastes better than anywhere else.

Confirmed! After extensive research over a three-day weekend in 2007 in which I tasted it at the Guinness Brewery Museum as well as several pubs across town, I can confirm that Guinness does, in fact, taste better IN Ireland. It's a bit more complex and there's a background sweetness that really rounds it out. So silky smooth and absolutely scrumptious!

Appearance: ruby-mahogany-black, good clarity (around the edges of the otherwise opaque brew), thick creamy layer of fine-beaded tan head, great head retention, lots of lace

Aroma: brown sugar, coffee, burnt grain, baker's chocolate, Lyle's Golden syrup

Flavor: gentle malt sweetness with hints of burnt caramel, chocolate, dark molasses sugar, and weak coffee; unripe pear hop flavor; finishes semisweet with a smoothly bitter aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, silky-smooth soft texture, moreish as hell

GreenCard, Mar 25, 2008

Pours black with a nice dense persistant head. Pretty typical for a nitro- but good. Aroma is sweet with a roasted note. Taste is very mild roasted malt. Not a lot going on but not bad. Lightly carbonated with surprisingly light mouthfeel. Fairly drinkable but not something I like to drink a lot of. I've had plenty of Guiness in my life- I used to really like it but I haven't had it for a while. Overall it's pretty average stuff and a decent commonly available beer.

burnstar, Mar 21, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

A 500 mL nitro can that my sister brought back from the St. James Gate brewery in Dublin.

A: The can opens with a fizz as the nitro widget releases its gas. The agitation almost caused white head to peter out over the mouth of the can. A three step pour into a Guinness glass resulted in the magnificent visual bubbling effect. The stout's body was a dark red-black color, more reddish at the narrower points of the glass. Atop the black body was a white, slightly tan, head that stayed in place throughout the pint. Visually stunning, regardless of how it may taste.

S: The nose has creaminess from the nitrogen introduction along with a burnt toast aroma. The swirling mixture takes on a pleasant but thin sweetness.

T: The stout has a full taste but does come up short at times. As dark and heavy as it looks, it is quite light. Burnt bread and chocolate flavors upfront mix with the creamy nitro foam. The thinness becomes apparent mid-sip as the burnt grains fade away and are not replaced by anything. A dry mouthfeel sees the beer away.

M: The mouthfeel is thin at times but the upfront mix of stout and nitro is pleasing sweet, in spite of its dryness. The lack of alcohol and overpowering malts also preserves the taste buds.

D: The ale is quite drinkable, with a sessionably low abv. It's not as robust as some stouts but it holds its own reasonably well.

akorsak, Mar 20, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -24.6%

Ok here is the deal. I have had a few guinnesses
in my day but I really did not care for this particular nitro bottle. You get this ginormous head which is fine but I thaught it made it kind of flat. It also had a very creamy tast to it. So not a big fan.

Blueye80, Mar 19, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

Nitro-tap, nearly everywhere in Ireland

A: Deep black with slightly ruby tones along the bottom of glass. Creamy white head, nice cascading bubbles. Huge cloudy lace and good retention.

S: Not a lot. Some roasted hints and maybe some sweetness.

T: Not a lot, again. A bit of roastedness, small hint of sweetness. Certain creaminess as well.

M/D: Medium to full bodied, I wouldn't call it thick at all. Drinkability is good, low ABV and not very filling.

I've had a lot of the 3 major dry stouts while I've been here in Ireland, and I would probably rank Guinness and Murphy's about neck and neck. Neither are as good as Beamish, but overall, all 3 are very similar, almost the same. They all look the same, smell the same and drink pretty much the same, but Beamish is slightly fuller and offers a bit more taste.

NCSUdo, Mar 19, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -27.5%

Tis' Saint Patrick's Day Laddie!

Okay, well, yesterday was, and ofcourse, I found myself drinking the obligitory Guinness draught. (from the can with the little widget inside)

Serving it extra cold is probably the only way I could handle this one (good thing they recommend it ice cold right there on the can). Unlike other stouts, this one is miserable once it warms up.

I am happy that this one uses nitrogen. There's certainly a market there that needs to expand.

Super fine head, dark tan. DecentRoasted malt in the nose, along with a bitter rice and funky hops.

Watery body, despite the dark color. Not what I was looking for. Bitter and coats my tounge with tobacco flavoring. I am not going to finish this one, so I would consider drinkability pretty low :/

On the plus side, my St pattys Day wasn't ruined. I've got a 22 of Rogue Kell's Lager on hand!

SurlyDuff, Mar 19, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

A: Not quiet black, but some brown around the edges. That distinct cascading effect is present. A good 2 finger white head forms that coats the glass with lace.
S: Bread and grain with some burnt and chard malt. Some bitter hops and a musky aroma. No depth and not very appealing.
T: Toasted and bready malt. A bit of bitterness. Again, no depth. I am drinking a loaf of bread.
M/D: Watered down a lot. A bit dry and very thin. The nitro makes for a smooth and seassionable drink though.

This used to be the beer of the God's for me. I still drink from time to time, but I really don't care for this too much anymore. There are so many other better stouts to try.

champ103, Mar 18, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass.

A = Dark red mahogany, firm nitro light tan head with great retention, medium heavy lacing.

S = Sweet smells of Spring fields, sharpness of bitter floral scents.

T = Matches the smell, distinct bitterness throughout with sweet doughy flavors at the front of the tongue but then followed with a bitter, coffee flavor. Main problem is that it is somewhat watery and not much going on other than the bitterness.

M = Light bodied, smooth and creamy feel, light to medium mouthcoating.

D = Depends on what you are looking for. The flavor is a little one note and it is a little watery, but it is also easy to drink several of while enjoying the company of friends at a pub.

Traquairlover, Mar 18, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

A - looks like a Guinness, dark with a creamy head
S - very minimal smell, some faint chocolate and roasty scents, but nothing too significant
T - watery, with an undeniable prescence of that sour macro taste. minor roasted flavors, but much weaker than I expected
M -thin, except for the creamy head. closely follows the watery taste.
D - while drinkable, this beer seemed like a distant relative of a true Guinness

I was lucky enough to have my first Guinness at the Brewery in Dublin a few years ago. While I wasn't expecting anything of that quality, this beer really disappointed me. Next time i'll go for the extra stout, instead of a can advertising an "extra cold" beer.

catbert913, Mar 18, 2008
2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Seeing as it is St. Patrick's Day, I figured I'd pop open a few cans of Guinness Draught to celebrate.

The pint can opened with a hiss, spilling some contents down its side. I poured to fill a pint glass to the three-quarter mark, and the tan foam appeared to flow downward into the jet black beer below. After a few minutes the thick head subsided, and I filled the glass to the top.

I stuck my nose a little too close to the glass, and came up with a touch of foam on my nose and a faint scent of roasted malt and, more faint, coffee. The beer felt like water in my mouth, with not much body to it. I tasted the roasted barley, again ever so faint, and not much else. As I downed the pint some moments were distinctly bitter, but most of the time flavor felt like it was being diluted with water and washed away.

The lack of body makes Guinness a great session beer. I know I had two more pints after the first. However, I'm of the school of thought that a good stout shouldn't be a candidate to be shotgunned or funneled, and I'd be perfectly happy doing either with Guinness Draught.

drinksandeats, Mar 18, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -37%

Appearance - Black, with a small head that increased for the first few seconds after pouring.

Smell - Weaker than most stouts. Quite sweet, with a mild coffee odour.

Taste - This tastes like Guinness Extra Stout with all the good flavours removed, leaving only bitterness, a bit of sweetness, and a crap aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery, pretty much no carbonation.

Drinkability - A weaker version of Guinness Extra Stout should be quite drinkable, but I wouldn't want a second.

Overall - 4 years ago, before I really liked beer, I thought Guinness Draught was overpoweringly bitter. Now I don't find anything about it overpowering, but it still tastes like crap. My can was imported from Ireland (some Australian Guinness is brewed under license), but it probably deteriorates signifcantly in transit. This is simply no where near as good as Guinness Extra Stout or any of the other, more traditional stouts in the Guinness range.

Cs1987, Mar 17, 2008
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.