Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
iceball585

4.63/5  rDev +32.7%

A- Dark black, non-transparent, one finger thick creamy head that lasted very well

S- Dark chocolate, burnt coffee beans, smokey

T- Creamy, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, smokey malts, slight bitter bite

M- Medium/heavy body, low carbonation, smooth, creamy, dry finish

D- Never lets you down

Guinness is always a good choice. Doesn't matter if you get it in bottle, can, or on tap... it just never lets you down.

11-15-2007 22:19:32 | More by iceball585
KodyBrannon

4.58/5  rDev +31.2%

I usually drink this at home out of the nitro-bottle. But I was lucky enough to go to Dave and Busters and have it on tap. Pretty much is is the same. But I found the tap version to be a little more rich and a lot more tasty. Definatly one of my favorite beers.

11-13-2007 20:58:53 | More by KodyBrannon
TimWeizen1

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Dry Irish stout is one of my favorite styles easy drinking and not highly hoppped. Big creamy head. Great creamy taste. Toasty malt, light coffee flavor. I really love Guinness Draft. Light and refreshing even on a hot day. A session of Guinness is one of the best beer experiences. Highly recommended.

11-11-2007 17:38:52 | More by TimWeizen1
irishkyle21

Ontario (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours with a thick creamy tanned head. Holds up extremely well and leaves behind a good amount of lacing. Has a dark brown color with some ruby tints.

Smells of a bit of chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. The nose and taste is very tame compared to other stouts that I have had. Its like they want to get more beer out of their batch's so they add water.

On the palate there is some roasted malt, fair hop bitterness and a few hints of coffee. I will stick with my St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout and leave the Guinness for the rest of them.

11-09-2007 01:10:27 | More by irishkyle21
SargeC

Japan

4.22/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: Close to the classic pour, but not the same. Pours black with the very dense, creamy tan head that is a Guinness signature.

Smell: Slightly smoky malt. Hints of minerals.

Taste: Great nitrogen twang embraces the malt and mineral flavors.

Mouthfeel: Medium body

Drinkability: Not as good as a proper pint in the pub, but these can seem to consistently produce a passable pint

11-05-2007 02:15:23 | More by SargeC
paskinsj

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

This is the beer that pulled me away from the budweiser's of the world. So smooth and perfect no matter what the mood it will satisfy your every need. The aroma and taste is like a creamy coffee and does not leave you feeling full as most people would have you believe.

11-04-2007 01:24:09 | More by paskinsj
FightinScot

4.05/5  rDev +16%

Although I have had Guinness in every variety available, I decided to review it from the tap, which in my opinion is the best way.

A: Poured right, it has a beautiful appearance. Thick creamy head, that does not seem to ever diminish sitting on top of pitch black.

S: Coffee but that is about it

T: Roasted malt, finishing into coffee and chocolate.

M: Very smooth and often creamy due to head

D: Moderate ABV and the taste always leaves me wanting more

11-03-2007 07:13:22 | More by FightinScot
erosier

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

I love the way this beer looks when it is freshly poured and chilled so that it's not too cold and not too warm. It has a very dark color with a nice white head with a tint of caramel. The head is very thick and sticks to the sides of the glass very well. I also love the way this beer smells. It is a very malty smell that really grabs me. The taste is pretty good as well. I love stouts and this one is no exception, in fact, it was my gateway stout if you will. It has a smooth almost creamy thick feel in my mouth with a small amount of carbonation. Not alot, but enough to know that this is beer. The only problem I have with this beer is the nitro can and nitro bottle. I would prefer this beer on tap.

Plus, you can mix it with a bunch of other beers and it's still great.

10-31-2007 19:34:23 | More by erosier
baos

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

14.9 oz into favorite Trappist glass.

A: Pours a beautiful black that has a wonderful bubbly light brown display that turn into the creamy head of tiny tiny bubbles. One nice looking beer.

S: Dark chocolate, caramel, coffee, and malts. Maybe not as aromatic as a stout should be.

T: I truly like Guinness, it may seem a bit lacking to some but thats what makes it good to me. A creamy chocolate coffee flavor that end with the slightest hint of hop. nice and dry at the finish.

M: Very thin bodied, but sometimes I crave a Guinness and this watery feel to it is one of the aspects that I like. This beer is trice better on Tap, though.

D: I've had a many night where I drank a 4 pack of the draught cans whilst playing euchre or poker or just idling with my friends. They always go down nicely, and as they warm they get more flavorful, so, instead of a last drink that's pitiful you get a nice creamy end thats nice (thats what she said). Erin go Braugh.

10-29-2007 22:35:00 | More by baos
thierrynantes

France

Beer on tap (50cl), tasted in 1989.

Appearance : black color, with a beautiful tan cloudy head.
Smell : roasted bread, coffee aromas.
Taste : a nice bitterness of hops and roasting in the final.
Mouthfeel : a thin disconcerting in the mouth
Drinkability : a very good draught stout. To drink at home, must choose a can version (N2).

Review translated from french 5-25-2008.

10-28-2007 16:41:45 | More by thierrynantes
Scribbles

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearence - a rich very dark brown to black colour, a with creamy tan head that refuses to go away.

Smell - Roasted malt and coffee in the smell fairly faint.

Taste - Again roasted malt, with coffee and bits of chocolate, very appealing and quite tasty.
Mouthfeel - Surprisingly light, very smooth, low carbonation; and refreshing at the same time.
Drinkability - Very drinkable you could drink a lot over a short period of time just as easily as a single one over a long period. I find it appropriate at any time of the year

10-27-2007 23:53:55 | More by Scribbles
Monsone

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Had on draft at the Gravity Bar at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin.

Big creamy nitro head. Dark black/ruby color. Slight dark malt scents not too stong in the scent department. Tastes slightly bitter, with some coffee and chocolate flavors. Creamy semi full bodied.

Pretty damn drinkable.

Yes Guinness does taste better in Ireland.

10-27-2007 02:18:21 | More by Monsone
franksnbeans

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Ok so its not a rare micro but this beer has got to be the official "ol reliable." If your worried about calories, the 20 extra calories is well worth it over a bud light and still a good option. You got to love the appearance of this, pours out black with a creamy body that cascades and rises to the top creating a tan immovable cream head leaving the black as day brew behind. Not much of a smell. If you try hard you get a whiff of roasted malt but thats with a big effort. Tastes nice and roasty with a minor hop bite at the end. Creamy in the mouth and smooth as silk. Though something with substance, these are as drinkable as bud light to me.

10-25-2007 04:05:30 | More by franksnbeans
jar2574

Missouri

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

In a first for a review, I'm drinking this one straight out of the bottle, since that's what the bottle suggests.

But we all know what a well poured Guiness looks like. In any decent bar, in any decent sized city, you can probably order a pint of Guiness. That's one comforting thing when you're traveling abroad.

Not much scent (it's still in the bottle), but I don't remember Guiness having a strong scent.

I dig the taste of Guiness. Strong roasted undertones, but highly drinkable. Malty rather than hoppy. Heavier than American macro brews. I used to joke that there's a meal in every pint.

Sure, it's not that complicated or complex, but I think that it's very good for a beer produced in such enormous quantities.

10-21-2007 01:15:40 | More by jar2574
Shadman

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

There are two bars locally that have this one tap..one knows how to pour, the other doesn't. This review is from the one that does. Barkeep filled the glass 2/3 full, let it settle, then poured the remaining 1/3...WOW! The head quite possible could have supported a 1/2 dollar coin it was so rich and did not receed noticeably at all. The lacing was almost indescribable...more a sticky, continuous coating vs. gobs & bits. Smeel and taste are cklassic guiness...heavily roasted malt and some mild hop bitterness. Mouthfeel seemed creamier, but may have been due to the increased head retention. Could pound 8 or 9 of these in a pub setting easily.

10-19-2007 02:10:17 | More by Shadman
nickynick

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Ah, Guinness. Was my first ever dark beer, a long time ago. Now a days I have better understanding of it. So why not revisit an old friend. This beer pour a beautiful dark brown, almost black, with a nice full tan head. The smell is also very wonderful, hint of milk chocolate. The taste is not what I remember. It starts mildly sweet, and creamy, but the finish, especially as it warmed seem almost metallic. Mouthfeel was ok, think enough and creamy. Drinkability is a tough one, while it goes down smooth, and is not overly filling, the metallic taste at the end left my pallet a little ragged. Overall, I would not turn a Guinness down, and it is a bit better on tap, but with Beamish being back on the shelves here, and that Murphy's is easy to find, Guinness won't be my first choice when I want an Irish Stout.

10-18-2007 12:47:30 | More by nickynick
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

Just as good as in the can,nice dark brownish black color with creamy foamy tan head that holds well and nice lacing.Coffee,malts,licorice a touch of caramel and a mild smokey smell all blend together when you inhale thru the nose,great aroma.Taste is creamy coffee with a smokey licorice and malts comming at you with some hint of nuts,all going down smooth.Looks thick but actually got a thin feel to it,goes down rather lite to tell you the truth,great brew,even though the looks of this tar colored beer looks like a thick molases milkshake,it actually is very easy to drink and a few of these a day is quite easy to do,doctor recommended too,can you believe that.

10-14-2007 22:36:57 | More by GrimmReaper
LeftonJackman

4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

So much about this beer is in the fashion it is served. Never, ever, ever drink this beer out of a can or bottle. The only way to drink Guinness as it is intended is on-top and poured in two parts. It might seem trivial to some, but is as factual a statement as I can make.

I sat at a think wooden bar where Jason pulled 2/3 of my pint glass and let the nitrogen go to work. After the 2/3 had settled he SLOWLY pulled the last third and presented me with a beautiful libation.

The dark stout is complemented perfectly with a smooth, buttery head. The head of the Guinness is what sets it apart, for me, from any other beer. The head is creamy as opposed to airy and rests wonderfully on my top lip as I bring the pint to my mouth.

I draw my head back and open up the back of my throat. This is where the real taste of a Guinness comes in to play. Smooth, slightly bitter and creamy. Perfectly wonderful. For some the taste can be too mild, almost watery when compared to more hoppy beers. And I agree. But the freshness of a Guinness is what appeals to me.

The glass is laced to perfection and I ask Jason to start me another.

For me, when enjoyed properly, Guinness is the master of beers.

10-11-2007 14:17:26 | More by LeftonJackman
wesleyhighley

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Drank this one tonight with dinner. I've had it hundreds of times in the past and this was the same basic experience. Nice dark taste. thick, falling head that settled into a wonderful "icing" as I drank it. My favorite thing about this beer is the low ABV while not sacrificing much to taste. It makes drinking a 6 pack of stout something you can do without becoming "that drunk guy" in the room.

10-10-2007 22:56:40 | More by wesleyhighley
wagenvolks

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

On tap at the local pub.

Waitress brings a beautiful, slowly cascading pour that develops into a thick, creamy, homogenous bone-colored head. Retention is near-perfect and good lacing is left behind. The body is seal brown and nearly opaque. Aroma is rather faint, with whiffs of smoked & roasted malts, vanilla, and some toffee.

The flavor is perhaps the weak part of Guinness. Despite being perhaps the epitome of its style, the taste is limited to weak notes of smoky malts, some carmel, and a touch of chocolate. Mouthfeel is great, however, with a creamy thick body that's quite refreshing. Not much of an aftertaste, however. Drinkability is hindered by its lack of complexity and thickness. Meal-in-a-pint. Overall, though, a pretty solid beer.

10-10-2007 00:09:53 | More by wagenvolks
hreb

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +14%

Cold 14.9 oz Ntiro-can of Guinness Draught dumped into US-size 16 oz pint glass. The beer expands to fill the glass and forms the beautiful cascading pattern of brown and black down the glass, leaving a medium dark tan head a couple of minutes, which seems like it could stand for days. As a rule I prefer Guinness in cans over Guinness in bottles by a wide margin, although draught is best; the Nitro-bottles just don't do anything for me, and I think they taste sour. For whatever it's worth, the bottle says this beer was brewed in Ireland. It also says to serve extra cold.

Getting back to the beer, there isn't much aroma coming off the cold stout, except a very slight toastiness. The head is thick and creamy and mild. It sips bitter and deep and more creamy. The flavor is pure and of toasted malt with hops that blend and balance perfectly. The flavor is utterly neutral with no strange contaminations of coffee or chocolate or caramel or treacle or freshly cut glass. The result is highly drinkable.

There are so many really great stouts out there that I forget how much I like Guinness. It's great too. I hope to review at the very least the nitro-bottle and tap versions for comparison, but I expect this measures up surprisingly well compared to the latter and much better than the former.

10-09-2007 00:25:54 | More by hreb
iconoklaztor

Indiana

2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

Damn this beer. I give it another shot. Im a stout lover and this is in no way a stout to me. Its technically a stout but its not even close.

The appearance was the "best" part. It was dark with that classic ivory head. The head was small but it was visable. The smell was weak with no real distinct notes. The taste...left a lot to be desired. The mouthfeel was weak. Just a bit more fullness than water. It wasnt very drinkable either. Now I dont think its a bad keg considering all Guinness I've tried has been horrible. Funny thing was...the bar tender apologized for taking my mini-pitcher and said he would have wanted the last drops of his. (made me laugh)

Dont buy this beer.

10-01-2007 23:38:10 | More by iconoklaztor
supercolter

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

As many others have noted- the appearance on this beer is really something to behold. I have been very, very impressed with the consistent perfect pour this beer offers. Kudos.
Smell and taste are of roasted almonds and coffee malts, dry and low on the hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel and drinkability are right on par for the style.

10-01-2007 06:27:09 | More by supercolter
Amalak

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

A: I only give 5's to perfection and a pint of Guinness is sheer perfection. Had it off the tap and it was a beautiful black with that gorgeous tan cascading foam head. It just doesn't get better than a Guinness.

S: Faint, Smokey, roasted aroma.

T: As smooth as a beer comes. You really can't find a beer that tastes like this one. For sheer originality it deserves a 5.

M: Chocolatey and dry.

D: Nothing goes down smoother than a fresh pint of Guinness.

One of my favorite beers. It goes well with so many different meals or is great for just relaxing.

10-01-2007 03:16:11 | More by Amalak
choyhosoi

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a glass from a can this one had a nice thick head very dark color was noticed as the beer settled. The scents I picked up were chocolate and cherry sort of a coffee feel. The taste was hardly there nothing to write home about but not to bad. It did go down smooth with just a slight hint of an aftertaste. I guess you could put more of these away for awhile depends on your stamina. I have heard so much about this beer I had to try it.

09-29-2007 04:34:34 | More by choyhosoi
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.