Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.57/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a dark black with creamy off white head with plenty of foam and lacing.

S - Hint notes of chocolate and coffee with some roasted malt, overall, though, a bit weak.

T - A found the flavor to be really lacking. Mostly tasted of weak coffee and roasted malt. As if you had a coffee that had been watered down and sitting out for a while.

M - Very, very thin. Almost watery.

Overall - It's been a while since I've had a Guinness, and I found this to be a wholly disappointing experience. I felt the flavors and everything to be very weak and thin.

3.3/5  rDev -6%

Thin, low on flavor, but undeniably sessionable Irish Dry
___

A: Matte black body with dingy ruby highlights topped with a very persistent one finger extremely creamy buff head. The well-known reverse cascade effect is beautiful to behold.

S: Cream, a hint of metal/adjunct/corn, and a tiny amount of neutral roast. Not much to speak of.

T: Semisweet cream up front, moving through light toffee roast, and finishing on very dry dusty hops. Less adjunctiness than the nose, but it's still there.

M: On the watery side, but there's still a sense of creaminess.

O: Better to look at than to drink, but still an undeniable institution.

4.06/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Well no reason to describe this beer, everyone knows or can read from someone else. I do love the thick head the nitro can pours though

Some people complain about this beer, but it is a great go to beer. I wouldn't expect it to have the same taste as in Ireland or of other craft beers. I rate this beer high because I like to always have some around and never don't want to have one. I do like Murphy's slightly better though, sometimes.

As many others have said, Foreign Extra is a lot better but also a lot more expensive. Thats like reviewing a Ford Escort and saying a Mustang is better though....duh.

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Nice and dark like it should be, with a thin but fluffy brown-tinged head.

Smell: Toasted malt smell, faintly chocolately and coffe-like.

Taste: Tastes like real draught Guinness, roast and chocolatey with a coffee-like bitterness. Very yummy.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, even if it isn't as creamy as actualy nitro-tap guinness.

Overall, the draught-can isn't bad, but it isnt quite as creamy as the tap-version and can't quite hold up to it. That being said, I feel like Guinness pretty much defines the stout style, all other beers having to distinguish themselves in some way. It's a classic. I just prefer it from the tap.

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%

A: Had a particularly nice deep amber, almost coffee color. Had about a 1 finger or more head with a nice tan color and beautiful lace.

S: Not a very strong aroma but could detect some malt hints with a little bit of nuttiness.

T: Had a very full taste. Could taste the roasted aspect and definitely detect the malt flavor. possibly a hint of vanilla.

M: Has a very nice mouthfeel. Has almost a perfect amount of carbonation and goes down smooth. Leaves a distinct aftertaste.

Overall: This was my first experience actually thoroughly tasting this beer and really enjoyed it. it has a good aroma and excellent visual appeal because the head is so lacey and holds so long. The taste didn't disappoint and actually had more flavors than i thought. it went down smooth and finished strong. a very enjoyable beer.

2.85/5  rDev -18.8%

A- C'mon... its a guinness... and i think this is one of the prettiest pouring beers out there. pours a dark coffee color, the head resembles whipped cream and is a khaki half a finger head. great traces of lacing all the way thru to the end.

S- Is faint. very faint. light coffee and dark chocolate. Vanilla slightly. So okay the longer it sits the more the smell comes out in this one. Slight roasted tones in there aswell.

T- Cream. a roasted coffee, with slight chocolate. almost a white chocolate taste at that.

M- Oily at the end which i believe is from the cream. hardly no carbonation, so there is no bite to this one at all.

DO- I'm just not overly impressed with this. I know a true contender for its style. However I think the other stuff guinness has to offer ( foreign extra stout, extra stout, etc... ) has a lot more going for it then this. I have had this on tap and i will say that it makes it much better. But out of a nitro can i think this is much lacking. Now i wont say i didn't enjoy it.

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

Had this when I went out to the little river drag strip.

The can looks nice, had the nitro widget in there so I assumed it was made for consumtion straight out of the can, poured a little into my stone RIS glass just to see it. Black with a thick airy looking head, good retention.

Pretty light in aroma, weak coffee and chocolate aromas but really nothing else notable.

Light in flavor as well, light chocolate flavors up front, coffee and a metallic note following the coffee, everything works pretty well but it's not a deep beer or anything.

Light in body, pretty heavy carbonation, slightly creamy.

Over all taste is not this beer strong point but the crazy drinkablility is, it has just enough flavor to be satisfying and the slight creaminess works well, all in all not a bad hot weather day beer

3.31/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Totally opaque dark brown, ruby red around the edges. Pours a thick, dense tan head and gradually shrinks to a thin layer of foam.

S: A faint combination of roasted malts, coffee, and slight nuttiness.

T: Roasted malts up front with undertones of nuts and black coffee in the finish.

M: Very light-bodied, almost a bit watery but the smooth carbonation helps it. The long, bitter finish is as simple and subdued as the initial taste.

D: Very light and easy-drinking, but rather bland as a result.

3.86/5  rDev +10%

A: This beer has a Dark Brown to Black color with a 1" head

S: This beer had a nice nutty and malty smell to it

T: This beer has some nice mild roasted malt flavors to it

M: This beer goes down real smooth

Overall: This is a beer that I will drink again

4.13/5  rDev +17.7%

to me a pint of guinness is a lot like sex, or pizza, even when it's bad it's still kinda good. from what ive heard, unless your in ireland you're not havin a real guinness... whatever, i'm not in ireland and i like guinness just fine. it's more about where you get your pint. Ive had good pints, ok pints, and great pints. this review is for the pint of guinness i got at the 9lb hammer in georgetown seattle. first off the pour was done right, i had to wait a minute half way through for it to settle. this pint is deep black(red hue in the light), with a cream white head two fingers thick. beautiful! 9lb pours the coldest guinness ive had, which i think makes the beers taste fresh and clean. it's creamy, smooth, smoky and balanced. sometimes there's nothing like a guinness... i will say this, i try to stay away from the cans and bottles, on tap is the only way to have to have guinness.

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black color with a half finger head made up of tiny tan bubbles.

S: A little bit nutty, a little bit malty, other than that, it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot going on. Maybe a very slight bit of chocolate, but very little, if any.

T: Pretty mild flavors here, a lot of roasted malts and not much else.

M: Never thought I'd say it, but when you let it sit on your tongue for a while, it almost feels a bit watery. Pretty high in the carbonation, but with the rest of the flavor, it works.

O: Overall, it's not a bad beer. Decent for sure, quite drinkable, and not a bad taste, just not particularly memorable.

3.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful, creamy, one finger head. I know this is just the work of the nitrogen, but it still looks amazing. The head is the closest to white that I have seen in a long time. And the body is pitch black, nice contrast. The head hangs in there forever as well. As for smell, I mean it smells like a Guinness, it's hard to describe because it's a one of a kind smell and flavor, I'll do my best though. The first smell you get is a sour smell, but it's not nearly as sour as the Guinness extra stout, it's very subtle and by no way off putting. The sour smell is mixed in with a sweet malty smell, maybe a tiny tiny bit of hops in there somewhere, but not much. Like I said, it's a one of a kind taste and smell, you have to have one to know what I'm talking about really, my description really doesn't describe it very well. The smell isn't amazing, because Guinness is not the most amazing beer, but it does smell good, and very smooth. The first thing I notice on the flavor is just a robust feel to the beer, that comes in before an flavor really. I know robust is a term to relate to flavor, but I'm using it with mouthfeel because I can't think of anything else to use. I can't say it's a thick mouthfeel, because it is a very thin beer on the mouth. And I also can't say that it has a robust flavor, because the flavor is very simple. But the beer does have robust characteristics, it's hard to explain, but it just fills you up with flavor and mouthfeel, even though it doesn't have much of either. :P confusing I know. The next thing I notice is just how it glides across the mouth, I mean this thing is so freaking smooth, wow. Yes, it is a little watery, and thin on the mouth, but it is so smooth. On the actual taste: yes you do get that sour flavor, but it is so small, it's hardly noticeable, and you do get a sweetness, and a malt flavor, but they are all mixed together nicely. No flavor is dominant, and no flavor is too present, which is a little disappointing that the flavors aren't more powerful, but I knew they wouldn't be coming into this. I don't really get any hops in this beer, if there are any IBU's to this beer, it's a 2 or 3. Overall, the flavor is very good, it's not impressive, but it's good, smooth, and drinkable. To come back to mouthfeel and drinkability: mouthfeel is good, but thin. Drinkability is very very very good! Overall, it's a Guinness, what else can I say, good beer, not outstanding, but good!

4.16/5  rDev +18.5%

After all the St. Pat's din has settled, and seeing that I've never reviewed what used to be my beer for every week, I thought I'd take a fresh look at this classic (no matter what the modern beer geek may misinterpret) -- following the Irish Dry Stout style.

Poured from the nitro can into my Guinness imperial pint.

A -- Deep black color in the wide diameter of the glass, ruby-garnet highlights in the narrow base. Thick, creamy, tan head.

S -- Mildly bitter, roasted character up front. Vague coffee and chocolate back. Overall, maybe a bit light in the aroma profile.

T -- Mellow bitter, roasted malt character throughout the front, middle, and end of the flavor profile of this beer. Some vaguely tart or sour characters in the middle, but balanced nicely by the roasted barley.

M -- Soft, smooth, creamy mouthfeel, very nice. Medium bodied.

O -- Overall impressions of this beer are terrific. I'd forgotten just why this was the continuous go-to beer for me back in the mid 90s, but the rich flavor and easy drinking characters of the Draught Stout are terrific.

Make no mistake, as so many do, this is not a Stout to be compared with a Foreign or Extra Stout (let alone an Imperial), this is a style of beer all its own, and well worth consideration.

2.99/5  rDev -14.8%

Served on tap into a nonic glass at Mavis Winkles.

A- Poured jet black with a finger and a half creamy khaki head. Lacing coated the entire glass.

S- Pretty weak, but hints of roastiness and bitter chocolate

T-Roasted malt, chocolate, toffee, and vinegar

M- Creamy and smooth, but a little watery

O- A solid beer when I am somewhere with an almost all BMC selection. Enjoyable, but not something I will get if there is anything interesting on tap. I will usually have one on St.Patrick's Day unless Foreign Extra Stout or GL Conway's Irish Ale are available. There are a lot of things I like about this beer especially the appearance and the creaminess of the beer, but overall this beer just does not have enough depth.

4.88/5  rDev +39%

I have drank this beer from Tap to nitro can, nitro bottle, etc, etc. and have loved everyone of them!
From that beautiful looking head and great look as it all comes together and settles for a minute or so! Perfection!
Then that creamy chocolate aroma hits the nose and my mouth starts to water in anticipation of that O so wonderful creamy full taste I can drink this beer forever!
Thank you Mr. Guinness!!!

3.87/5  rDev +10.3%

Guinness was my first beer, it has a very special place in my heart. It has always been my go to drink at a bar if nothing else is worthy of my time or money. I love the surge the beer has, I love how it looks like chocolate milk while pouring and fades into a very dark brownish black color. It's the smoothest texture with a very nice roasted flavor. I'll admit it's a little bit on the watery side and it's not thick at all but it still has a good quality to it for anytime of year or place.

1.88/5  rDev -46.4%

Guinness Draught from the 11.2 fl. oz. nitro bottle which was "extra cold" as instructed on the label was poured into a pint glass and yielded a enormous dense tan head that persisted for several minutes. Lacing was spectacular also. Smell was like burnt candy with some coffee notes. Taste and mouthfeel were watery and lacking in anything worthy of note. Overall, thiis is not a drinkable brew. Previously, I had this from a nitro tap and felt the same way. I thought that might have been a fluke, but now know that any version of this beer is not worthy of a serious beer drinker.

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

I bought some regular Guinness Draught for our St. Patrick's Day gathering and used it primarily to make Black & Tans with. I did drink one on its own and I've never been a huge fan. Guinness Draught always has a blank taste to me, if that makes any sense. It just tastes like there's something missing, something that didn't make it into the recipe for some reason.

This review is probably not helpful at all but that's the only way I can think of putting it. Also, if you're looking at Beer Advocate there is a very strong possibility you don't need another review of this hugely famous and popular beer.

My prediction is this: this review will not change the world in any way.

2.8/5  rDev -20.2%

The very first stout I have ever had, and I was not to impressed with it.

A - Black, with a creamy head. Watching beer do its thing after you poured it was the best part.

S - Slight coffee and booze.

T - The taste I was able to get was a slight hint of coffee, other than that it was bland.

D - Very easy to drink.

2.82/5  rDev -19.7%

My very first drink of a draught beer and I have to say I wasn't impressed. Appearance was quite enticing, and it poured nicely, other than the oversize head. Speaking of which, it was very creamy looking with very tiny bubbles, if any at all. The beer itself is very dark, and smells of roasted chocolate. My first drink was actually quite tasty, but every one after all i could get was the bitterness, which isn't pleasant at all. All in all, there are better stouts and draughts out there.

3.16/5  rDev -10%

Picked up a six pack for some post-St. Patrick's Day drinking. Even though I know it says drink from the bottle, I poured it into Guinness glass anyway. Dark black color with garnet highlights. Huge creamy white head. Surging carbonation. It's a good looking beer, no doubt. Smell was very mild, mostly cocoa. Taste was fairly bland. Some roasted malt, coffee notes and a hint of chocolate. But just very watered down tasting. Also, the body was very thin for a stout. An easy beer to drink due to it's mildness and low abv, but kind of boring. I would much rather prefer to have this on tap somewhere than out of a bottle again. Flavor and body seems to be better on tap.

2.34/5  rDev -33.3%

Drank from the bottle, as described by the bottle itself.

Since it is guinness, it is pitch black with slight red hues when held to the light.

Smell - burnt toast, some roasted malts.

Taste - not a whole lot going on. Very light and lacking flavor till the finish, where the faint flavors of guinness come out.

Mouthfeel - medium, hardly any carbonation, kinda chewy. I enjoyed the mouthfeel on this one.

Overall - i wasn't Impressed. I was hoping that it could have competed with the likes of brooklyne BCS, Yeti, etc...but this one let me down. The rocket widget idea is pretty nifty at best. I guess it's a good beginning stout.

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

440ml Can - for St Patrick's day

Appearance - Opaque black/brown colour with an average size creamy light brown/beige coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some very nice lacing running in stages down the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - chocolate, malts, coffee, metallic, smoky/roasted notes

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a very low amount of carbonation and most of the taste consists of chocolate, coffee and malts. There are also smoky/burnt notes mixed with a slight metallic flavour. It finishes with malty slightly smoky aftertaste.

Overall - Although not my favourite beer, it definitely is a great beer for the style. I feel like I could drink a whole bunch of these throughout the course of an evening. I'm sure I'll buy it again at some point.

2.64/5  rDev -24.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Guinness glass. Its Saint Patrick's Day and this is the obligatory Guinness.

Look: actually, a decent looking beer. The nitro bottle effect is a fairly nice one. Black body with a thin, creamy layer of foam that looks gray with some brown. It retains well but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell: hmm, nothing here really. A little bit of roastiness but not a whole lot else.

Taste: tastes like watered down Guinness Extra Stout, which some might say is a bad thing but I think it is an improvement, since Guinness Extra Stout is one of my most despised brews. Light roasted malt flavors but none of the potent chocolate or coffee flavors you would expect from a stout. Very light on flavor.

Feel: surprisingly thin, moderately carbonated, and (thankfully) no taste lingers after drinking.

Drink: even though it doesn't impress in any way, it is still a drinkable brew. I even had a second pint. Sorry, fellow beer geeks. I've let you down. Since drinkability is no longer a score, I am bumping the mouthfeel score up from 2.5 to 3.0 to reflect the ease of drinking.

Overall: I really don't like Guinness. Extra Stout is one of my most despised beers. Budweiser may suck but at least it is neutral. Aside from the dirty feeling you get from supporting such an unethical company, it doesn't offend your palate quite so much since its pretty much water. Not so with the macro-ale that is Guinness, which is foul. However, at least they watered it down for me a little bit with Guinness Draught. Cheers!

3.64/5  rDev +3.7%

My goodness my Guinness! It's the beer that started it all for me back when I was 18. Before then beer was Toohey's or Victoria Bitter and tasted like regurgitated vomit (still does for me in regards to VB). I've been holding back on reviewing this since my ancestors are Irish and a piece of me never left Dublin back in 2001 but I feel it's time to be objective and rate this as it should like every other beer.

Poured from a 440ml nitro can into a 568ml Guinness pint glass. Now I want to make one thing clear: Guinness is at it's best when served from a tap, very slightly chilled, in a local pub in Dublin - outside of this, as is the case here, you end up with a shadow of the glory that is Guinness.

A: Deep ruby red body that appears jet black for all intents and purposes. With a 1.5cm white head that leaves rings as it goes down, Guinness has the appearance of a quintessential Irish Stout.

S: It's a very faint smell of roasted chicory, grain and just a hint of caramel.

T: Very much in line with the aroma we have a front note of roasted chicory, the barley comes through mid-palate, and finally some bitter coffee back notes. It's not a big stout for body or flavour though as I've always found it easy to put away a pint in two big gulps.

M: Watery, much more than I remember it to be from years back... I think somewhere along the line in the last 10-12 years the recipe has changed and as a result the mouthfeel has suffered. Very low on the carbonation scale.

D: Still quite easily one of the most drinkable beers on earth. I've had many a nights misspent in Irish pubs during my formative years taking down pint after pint till my wallet was sore and I do not regret a single bit of it. Yes it has changed somehow over the years and isn't as good as it used to be but I still love the "black stuff".

Food match: Irish stew, potatoes and indeed Guinness pie goes down a treat too.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.