Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

guinness is guinness most people out there have had this. The simpsons said it right it's like having bog water and chocolate syrup. dark color tan head pours forth. Very bland stout. creamy taste though. I can always drink a few of these, but would rather have something else most days.

Kelp, Jan 11, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The best thing about this beer is it's appearance. It is amazing before I started drinking micros that this used to taste amazing. Now it tastes very watery compared to some of the other kick ass stouts out there!

A - This is the best thing about the beer. It does look very good and is dark brown with great lacing.

S - I don't smell anything... this lacks the smell of malts and chocolate and there is no smell of alcohol

T - Very watery compared to most other stouts out there. I don't mean to diss guiness too hard i know it is very popular; however, there are some phenomenal stouts out there that really put it to shame. I had a tough time drinking this because it just tasted like a glass of brown water. Where is the taste????

M - It is creamy!

D - I can see other people drinking this no problem; however, my problem is that there just isn't enough taste to it. It tasted too watery i have a hard time getting thru one.

Tomdee74, Jan 10, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

Mmmm, Guinness. This was one of my favorite beers before I got into micros. The best thing about this beer is the appearance: dark brown / black, with a huge creamy head. Head retention is very good, it stays around for the duration of the beer. There is a light roasted aroma. The flavor is of roasted malts and bitter coffee. This is fairly watery for a stout, but it still has a extremely smooth mouthfeel from the nitro. The mouthfeel would be exceptional if the body wasn't so light. Overall this is kind of bland compared to other stouts, but it's still a very drinkable beer.

chickenm, Jan 09, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Guinness Draught poured black with a the ridiculously thick milk chocolate-colored cascading head for which it's famous.

The smell and taste have a near-indistinguishable roasty sweet maltiness. The feel is like water. There's no complexity, no bitterness, and nothing left behind. Like water, and with the low alcohol content, it's easy to drink.

As with so many others, Guinness Draught was my first foray into beer other than American Adjunct Lagers, and a very long time ago, I loved it. Now, after having tried so many great aggressive and complex stouts (Yeti and FBS to name just two), Guinness Draught seems like water.

MetalHopHead6, Jan 08, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

I have to admit that this beer was and remains one of my first loves. I'd never tasted anything like it -- low carbonation, black, milky consistency, and a solid, nutty flavor that had me at the first sip. However, I will admit that this beer has its faults. The burnt, woody flavor quickly becomes monotonous. The taste is really too mild for its heartiness -- I found myself wishing for a "bigger" flavor with more depth. However, it's incredibly drinkable and has the power to lure beer-haters out of their caves. Those who wish for a stronger, more nuanced flavor might try Guinness Extra Stout.

amtriska, Jan 07, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

This is the first beer I got into when I turned 21, so Guinness always has a special place in my heart. Finally took the time to review one. My tastes have changed since then, but I still like it. Poured it into a Tulip style pint glass it has a nice looking nitro effect to it while being poured. The bubbles slowly work their way to the top. Whether or not you're a fan of Guinness I feel everyone should agree atleast that it's a good looking beer. A few years ago I would have rated the taste and smell so much higher, but pretty average now. It's generously malted, very sweet with hints of chocolate and coffee. When let back down to room temperature you can slightly smell the hop but you really have to look for it. In the taste it's also difficult to pick up on the hop, it does have a slight bitterness to it. It's nothing too high in quality but well blended. The mouthfeel is pretty good, for a stout it does feel a bit watered down for a stout. It's very drinkable, no matter what the occasion. Not my favorite beer anymore, but I'll still never turn one down!

AndyAvalanche, Jan 07, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

One of the roommates bought beer, and this is what he brought home. I didn't want to be rude, so I had one.

A: This really is a nice looking pour. Dark brown, bordering on black with that patented creamy mocha colored head.

S: Very thin and watery on the nose. I pick up a few hints of roasted malt and maybe some chocolate.

T: Not too much better than the nose. A bit of roasted malt flavor and maybe a touch of chocolate and coffee, but overall it's very bland.

M: I do enjoy the creamy feel the nitro gives. Unfortunately, it seems to (have helped to) kill the rest of the beer.

D: This is really disappointing. I recall early on in my drinking days when Guinness was a fairly enjoyable beer, but it seems to have gone the way of so many other mass produced items.

womencantsail, Jan 05, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a 14.9 fluid ounce nitro-can into an imperial pint glass.

A: The stout puts on quite a show after you pop the can and pour it straight down into the glass. You can watch as everything gradually settles with a perfect looking head on top--white and about 2-finger width. The head is resiliant. Not much lacing going on as the stout is consumed. The nearly black color of the beer contrasts nicely with the head.

S: Pleasent toasted malt smell, slight hints of chocolate and perhaps milk? Smell is generally somewhat muted.

T: This presents an overall solid taste. Nothing jumps out at me, but it is an overall respectible stout. Toasted malt, slight taste of vanilla? Hard to really peg it as I mentioned--nothing really stands out. A small amount of milk chocolate/coffee action there as well.

M: Not quite as thick as I look for in a stout. Very smooth otherwise. Nothing out of the ordinary going on here.

D: Definitely the easiest drinking stout I have ever come across. While that could be a good thing, depending on the circumstances, typically I'm looking for something a little more substantial with a stout, but in the dry irish stout cataegory, this appears to be the norm for this style of beer.

JohnnyP3, Jan 02, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -24.3%

This was my go to stout before I really learned about beer. Ah, the memories.

Anyways, this one pours black out of the can with a thin creamy head that lingers. Smell is very weak. Taste is not terrible, with hints of chocolate and coffee. Light bitterness predominiates. The mouthfeel has always been a little thin for my liking, as I prefer my stouts a little more creamy/chewy. Even low ABV stout as the one could benefit from a rich mouthfeel. Drinkability is decent, but in my experience you'll feel 'full' long before you feel a buzz.

mondegreen, Jan 02, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

P- Pittsburgh friend..thanks Ray!

A- midnight pitch black color. A one finger head that leaves a milky lacing on my pint. Frothy and head hangs fora few minutes.

S- not much here,and it is weak. Coffee malts and thats about it. On draft the smell can be more robust and in your face.

T- more like a coffee drink with some whipped cream on top. I like coffee and i like beer so when you put them together i am happy.Not as flavorful as some of the other micros though.

M- creamy and smooth. No hard times in getting it down as i remember in college.

D- nice heavy stout. It goes down smoother than most and easy to throw it down.

Dodo2step, Jan 01, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -18.6%

got a pitcher at the tap room, into a pint glass

this beer is pretty much the exact same as the nitro can version. the only difference is that maybe the mouthfeel was a bit more chewy and thicker, and the darker malts were, well, maltier. all in all the product is the same as the can, and i prefer neither.

erz316, Jan 01, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

I haven't had Guinness in over a year and it's been quite the year of craft exploration. I was really curious as to how my palate has changed.

Appearance: Just as I remember, Guinness is one of the best looking beers I've ever seen. The upward cascade of nitrogen bubbles is a sight to behold. Once the process is complete you're left looking at a beer that looks like it's straight out of promotional material. It's picture perfect, the edge between the head and the beer itself looks like it was drawn on with a ruler. Speaking of the head there was about two fingers worth and it stuck around for the duration leaving some quality lacing. The beer itself is black at first glace, but mahogany tones come through when any light hits.

Smell: Disappointment here, I remember this being more robust. I guess my nose has sniffed the likes of one too many Russian Imperials. Faint smells of coffee and roasted malt along with an overall impression of sweetness.

Taste: Following the smell, much sweeter than I remember. It almost reminds me of a latte. Sweetened coffee and roasted malts. There's a little bit of chocolate in there as well. To think I used to find Guinness quite bitter.

Mouthfeel: Thanks to the nitro this it's just as smooth and creamy as I remember. Probably another reason it reminds me of a latte. If the body was a bit more full this would have been perfect.

Drinkability: Despite my changed palate I still enjoy Guinness. It certainly goes down easy. It's rather pedestrian, but I won't be neglecting it for a year again. Once in awhile I'll put a few back for old time's sake.

Overall Guinness isn't the Grade A beer I remember it being. But I still think it's worthy. I love the whole event of pouring a pint of it. If it wasn't for the appearance and mouthfeel I think this would be the same as any other middle of the road stout.

DrDoitchbig, Jan 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Poured into an official Guinness pint glass

Appearance - Pouring one of these is just lovely. Way better than the Guinness Extra Stout (which I still like) Pitch black, thick, frothy lacing which lasted through the whole tasting, those beautiful bubbles while pouring... GENIUS!

Smell - Roasted. That's all I can say, really. Malty, coffee-like, with a hint of nutty sweetness at the end.

Taste - Wow! The head really becomes important here. You taste it with your first and last sip. Coffee is definitely prevalent. Then you get some sweetness in the back of the tongue. There is so much head though, which I love.

Mouth-feel - For all the flavor there, I'm surprised how thin this beer is. It is very enjoyable though. I got a little bit of the head on my whiskers and could smell it for a while, which I rather enjoyed.

Drinkability - I would say "Go for it!" If you like the taste and aroma. If you are Irish, nothing beats a nice Guinness. If they had it on tap here, I would probably drink it all day. In fact, I had it on tap not too far from here before, and it was delicious.

Overall, I say give it a try. It is one of the most famous beers, and that's for a reason.

kidhatesyou, Dec 30, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

This used to be my favorite dark beer... until I started trying some micro-brews.

L - Dark black with an amazing tan head that dominates the beer before retreating after a few minutes

S - light coffee hint

T - creamy with coffee hints, but it seems to be watery in comparison to other stouts

M - smooth

D - fairly easy to drink

WWWade, Dec 28, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

A. If poured right it can be very desirable, good head and if the bartender is good they might be able to put a Shamrock in the head for ya.

S. not a strong aroma but it is good

T. Crisp and clean and sweet tasting

M. Very Full body to it and definatly filling

D. This is definatly a beer that you sit and enjoy for long periods of time

MadElf25, Dec 28, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Pours with the characteristic cascading bubbles forming a beautiful, creamy, tan colored head upon very dark red-brown beer. There is little lacing.

S: Not much going on here, though there is the light scent of roasted malts .

T: Watery dry sawdust flavor. Lightly roasted malts. Toast.

M: Medium body with a thicker mouthfeel from the lack of any appreciable carbonation.

D: On its own, I wouldn't say this beer is overly drinkable, but, as a mixer I'm a huge fan, which is the main reason I keep them around the house. When mixed with other beers or cider, Guinness can't be beat.

Florida9, Dec 22, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -22%

A: Dark with a two finger head.

S: malty/burnt smell

T & M: The taste and mouth feel were both disappointing from what I was expecting. The taste reminded me of a regular domestic beer with a bite of flavoring. The watery flow of this beer was the greatest disappointment after pouring it and seeing the thick head.

D: It is drinkable, but I would probably go to the corner store and pick up another brew.

ollie78, Dec 22, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Ap. Dense and dark with amber edges. A very fine textured head that is hanging in there until the end. Nice lacing as well.
Sm. Not strong. Pine maybe?, malt, somewhere I thought of date bread???
Ta. A little tart and lemony with faint choco/coffe or perhaps thin molassas.
Mf. Seems thin for such a dark brew, but nice.
Dr. Easy to abuse, but much better on tap with friends in an Irish themed bar.

deaconoflove, Dec 15, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a pint glass from the nitro can.

A: Significant cream-colored head. Beer itself is chocolate milk-colored. The cascading waterfall effect is very cool.

S: Smell is average at best. Some burnt coffee bean is all I'm getting.

T: A little bitter and watery. Taste certainly doesn't match the appearance.

M: Solid. A bit thinner than I would have liked, though.

D: Very drinkable, as far as stouts go, owing to it's slightly watered-down profile. Guinness gets a bad rap from all the beer snobs on here, but for a macro, it's decent.

rosmhuire, Dec 15, 2009

The first time I tried Guinness I was 14 (it was just a sip) and I was surprised at how unlike any of the other beers I had ever "just sipped" it was. It seemed so strong in taste that I was amazed he could drink the whole pint. I only mention that because whenever I drink Guinness now, I am surprised at how mild it tastes and easy it is to drink.

Another point I think is worth mentioning is that the packaging recommends serving extra cold. I'm reviewing it now straight out of the fridge and there is very little aroma of any kind coming out of the glass. The body is dark, but clear and watery. The head is foamy and sits about a centimeter thick, leaving a foamy lace as the level recedes. There are very weak dark malt flavors and a bitter end at the back of the tongue. At the very bottom of the glass there's a nice coffee aroma that I expect from a stout. Just a hint, unfortunately.

Mentioning Guinness seems to elicit a response from most people, but canned Guinness Draught leaves something to be desired. I would much rather take the Extra Stout, especially the lovely Foreign Extra I enjoyed so in Jamaica.

robobor, Dec 13, 2009
1.7/5  rDev -51.4%

I've been walking this by in the beer aisle for quite some time now and finally decided to try it. I should have kept walking...

appearance-is very dark, almost coffee-like

smell-is slightly pleasant at first, a roasted coffee of sorts. It is very minimal overall though.

taste-is not what i expected from the smell. Watery and sewage tasting, with the slightest hint of coffee that i smelled initially. Expecting a rich creamy taste, it was thoroughly disappointing.

mouthfeel-watery, not very carbonated for a beer.

drinkability-If I downed one of these it'll be an accomplishment. Someone will be getting an early christmas gift (ie, the other 5 in the pack)

Fluffytaster, Dec 09, 2009
2.73/5  rDev -22%

Poured into a sidel from the nitro can. Makes an interesting poping sound when you open the lid.

Appearance- Pours incredibly creamy, almost chocolate milk like in appearance. Creamy tan head the persists and coats the side of the glass with creamy foam. Pours unlike any beer I have ever seen.

Smell- Roasty stout smells including chocolate and coffee but not very much aroma overall.

Taste- After the wonderful appearance, the taste was throughly disappointing. It is semi-sweet and watery. There are some stout like flavors lurking in there, especially in the aftertaste but the taste just feels muted in general.

Mouthfeel- Watery and with almost no carbonation remaining, I guess it all went to preserving the beautiful head. Probably the weakest aspect of this beer.

Drinkability- I wish I could pour these all day. After that, its all downhill. I appreciate the effort that went into developing the nitro-can but the beer itself is lackluster. I don't mind drinking these at all, but for $6 for a four pack, a total dud.

heissebier, Dec 08, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -32%

Poured from a nitro-can in to a seidel.

Appearance: Wow. Gahhh. What a beautiful beer. The widget gives it an incredible head right out of the can. When i popped the can open the carbonation shot out. Pouring it was like pouring rich, creamy chocolate milk. It settles in the glass with a creamy brownish white head that persists for ages and carbonation swirling around in the most beautiful pattern, as if this beer was alive. Once that settles, a deep, dark brown colour takes over that is almost opaque, save for around the sides. Head is small but very creamy and stays around forever.

Smell: Has the distinctive Guinness scent to it. Bitter with coffee notes. Pleasing to the nose, but still a very weak scent; thats the tradeoff with the nitro-can

Taste: Sadly tastes a little like stout flavoured water...Coffee taste is there, but no real taste of chocolate or anything else. Almost a superficial taste. Has the Guinness taste down, but otherwise is pretty hollow.

Mouthfeel: Kinda bad...this beer puts so much effort into looking beautiful that it loses all of its carbonation. So literally its like stout flavoured water...Not a nice mouthfeel. The creaminess of the head could potentially save it if there was more head to speak of

Drinkability: Probably wouldnt have more than one or two since the carbonation thing is killing me. Otherwise its not horrible

Overall I could sum it up best by saying: All bark, no bite

Whiteweasel, Dec 08, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

It took me more than the first time to get hooked. It was a bit heavy for me the first time, but I spent a week in England pub crawling and I got this on -tap: It was awesome!

There's nothing like a nice cold Guinness in a large pint glass in the early afternoon. Dark, and coffee like, but smooth at the same time. The froth holds a lot of flavor, creamy color (looks nice with the dark beer), and thick. Let's just say this was my beer of choice that whole week. I enjoy this in a glass anytime.
Dry stout, annd refreshing.
Nice buzz, nice taste, nice smell, nice look, real enjoyability for a darker popular beer. It's my new go-to!

YogiBear, Dec 04, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +15.7%

"My goodness, my Guinness!"

Beer served on nitro-tap at some sports bar. I've had this beer so many times, reviewing it seems odd, but here I go. It is also one of the most popular beers and recognizable, what could I possibly say about that hasn't already been said.

Beer is dark black / brown. Nitrogenation cascades inside of the beer, forming these iterative and repetitive waves of tiny brown bubbles that are pushed down on the edge of the glass to be pushed back up in the center of the beer, forming a tight, creamy head of tiny tiny bubbles. Lacing is about as high as it can be. The glass is completely coated in bubbles as I drink the beer down.

Beer has a subtle aroma of roast and sweetness. The head almost protects the aroma from detection, but as you drink it you can definitely smell a lot of sweetness and some malt.

Beer is smooth, one of the smoothest creamiest beers I've ever drank. Drinkability is high. This is a really sessionable beer. I could drink this all night long. There is mild bitterness and some nice subtle roast character. Some chocolate like flavors and a great medium body. Drinkability is high and mouthfeel is good.

drabmuh, Dec 01, 2009
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.