Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

Appearance-dark with hint of ruby. Creamy, off-white head.

Smell-Roasted malt, chocolates, and smoke

Taste- Roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Heavy body.

Drinkability-Guinness Draught is the beer that made me realize there was more to beer than just Bud and Miller!

07-10-2007 21:05:43 | More by Beerbuddha
bluemoonswoon

2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

16oz nitro can poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black with a tan head with a nice cascade as the head builds up to the rim of the glass then lingers for the rest of the session. I swear the head stayed the same size the entire way through. That's about where the good things stop happening.

S: Decent amount of roasted barley with a hint of coffee background not much else.

T/MF: Not quite sure how this thing got the reputation of a heavy beer, maybe because the people I know who've had this are strick BMC drinkers and compared drinking one of these to eating a rack of lamb. I wish! There was nothing of the sort in this beer. The mouthfeel is indeed creamy but still falls a little flat for my tastes, it goes in a just sits there and is sort of dissapointing. The taste isn't much to write home about either, hints of roasted barley and the smallest hints of coffee as the beer finishes quite lightly and very bland, almost flat it seems.

D: Not my best experience with this beer, I guess its sort of a suprise I've all you've been drinking are BMC beers but I think I'll pass on this one in the future.

07-02-2007 15:10:13 | More by bluemoonswoon
86sportster883

4.38/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured from a freshly tapped keg it takes the bartender a few minutes to build me the perfect pint. It arrives with a thick tan head siting upon an opaque dark brown body. The head is so finely constructed that it almost looks fake.

The first draw is incredibly smooth, medium bodied and satisfying. Rings of foam and lace are left behind with each successive pull. It has a faint roasted malt nose. The taste is distinctively Guinness, with a fine, almost inperceptble, carbonation masking a mild roasty bitterness till the dry finish. Overall, an outstanding beer when served fresh and constructed properly. A longstanding favorite of mine.

06-30-2007 22:25:21 | More by 86sportster883
Halcyondays

3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

14.9 oz. nitro-can with widget, also a nitro bottle or two when out,

A: Black, with ruby highlights if held up to the light. Creamy, off-white, almost tan head. A pint of the black stuff, or the priest, looks as good as ever, enjoyable to watch it settle over a minute or so.

S: Hints of roastiness, chocolates, and smoke, not very substantial, but enjoyable.

T: Roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate.

M: Light-bodied, thin, a little too watery for my tastes.

D: Guinness Draught is a classic, very drinkable due to its lightness and easily a session beer. I would have liked to have seen and experienced it in days past when it wasn't so processed. Much better in the nitro-can, so go for that.

06-28-2007 05:48:39 | More by Halcyondays
mdm46410

Indiana

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a nitro-tap into a pint glass. This stout poured a deep black color with a one inch thick creamy beige head that lasted forever. Naturally, a good deal of lacing is left behind. Some lighter brown and mahongany colors are visible through the edges of the glass. Not much aroma other than some faint roasted malt notes. The flavor is also a bit bland. Some faint coffee notes sit behind a decent roasty flavor. The mouthfeel is lightly creamy due to the nitro infused head. The stout itself is a bit watery. Wow, I can’t beleive I used to think this was top shelf stuff. There are so many other better stouts to explore. That being said, this is still much better than the bottled Guinness Extra Stout.

06-26-2007 04:28:03 | More by mdm46410
TheBierBand

3.28/5  rDev -6%

Here's a review from the nitro can. Pours out with it's neat cascading tiny bubbles to form a creamy 3/4" head over a jet black liquid.

The smell is faint. Coffee, Dark Chocolate... but fairly faint.

The taste is pretty mild as far as stouts go. Hints of Coffee and a slight hint of dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Sorry.... I don't like the watery, yet creamy nature of these nitro cans... give me some more carbonation.

Drinkability: I'll have a couple of these if I must.... but I prefer a thicker, more robust stout.

06-20-2007 15:06:19 | More by TheBierBand
flowerysong

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Very deep opaque brown, one finger of tan head with excellent retention.

Smell: Coffee and roasted barley with mild hops.

Taste: Roasted malt with chocolate and coffee notes. Fairly sweet, medium hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium-light body. Very smooth.

Drinkability: Very accessible stout. Easy to find, and fairly drinkable.

06-16-2007 23:09:48 | More by flowerysong
brendan13

Australia

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Pitch black like you'd expect with some reddish tinges when held up to light. Inch of head with lacing all over.
S - Big aroma of roasted barley dominates with some slight chocolate & coffee notes.
T - The chocolate comes through a lot more in the taste with an ever so faint hop presence that works well.
M - The mouthfeel was decent enough but a touch on the lighter side.
D - Nice beer & highly drinkable, although given the choice I'd rather drink other beers.
When at shit pubs with shit beer (can't avoid them all the time) Guiness is often my savior as it has some flavour at least.

06-15-2007 09:30:52 | More by brendan13
moyalva2003

Every bar I go I order a pint, or every party i go to I bring the 6 pack. When I pour a bottle to a glass I'm treated to a 3 minute show where it goes from a light brown to a pitch black work of art. The smell of roasted hops eases my mind, and the 1st sip is as good as the last. Guinness is my number one session beer, as its low alcohol content allows me to enjoy a 6 pack with such ease. Brilliant!!

06-08-2007 03:44:56 | More by moyalva2003
robocrouch

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Grabbed a pint glass put it up to the tap, pulled forward, and watched the black beer run inside the glass almost to the top, just enough to watch the beautiful white head rise up. A great looking beer.

S: Roasted grains, coffee, and some hop-ness.

T: Pretty complex stout. Roasted grains and coffee are the biggest flavors and the beer ends with a nice hop flavor. The creamy-ness finishes it out. A great tasting brew.

D: A very popular stout and for good reason. It is the benchmark for stouts because it can appeal to a wide range of people. Overall I am very impressed with this beer and will certainly have it again

06-02-2007 19:01:23 | More by robocrouch
mcarroll10177

A- dark brown with the classic tan head. Classic wait as the beer color changes due to the nitro tap

S- roasted hops fill the nose with this beer

T- roasted hops followed by a dry bitterness that marks the style

M- a bit thinner than I would want from a stout and thinner than when in the bottle

D- my choice at places where the slection is sparce. While not the extra stout, on tap this is a good beer. Out of the can I will pass.

05-31-2007 01:05:10 | More by mcarroll10177
Bamabrew22

Alabama

3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Decided to finally give the nitro-widget bottle a chance. Neat, gimmicky idea, but will never match anything on tap in the dankest, darkest pub in Ireland. That being said, here goes:

appearance: "the black beauty with the blonde head." Need I say more?

smell: coffee-like, with hints of chocolate and/or licorice.

taste: creamy, coffee goodness, accentuated by hints of roasted, malted barley throughout.

mouthfeel: full-on, palate-coating.

drinkability: not a bad choice at all, if you can't get it on nitro-tap. Pour it up or drink it from the bottle, I tried both, and was pleasantly surprised.

05-21-2007 18:54:41 | More by Bamabrew22
CortexBomb

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

This is a strange beer to review now, but I had one again for the first time in ages so I thought it would be worthwhile to jot some notes down.

This particular serving was the draught bottle, which is intended to be imbibed straight from the bottle because of the nitro system. The marks in appearance denote what I think of Guinness when I can actually see it. The nose is of the lightly roasted malt variety, not a lot else there, but again, I'm sniffing it out of a bottle.

The flavour on this is the prototypical Irish Dry, it's lightly roasted, somewhat chocolatey, and somewhat sweet with the lightest dash of coffee...though that could be in my mind. The flavour is very subdued to my palate, but that's because I generally drink Old Ales and Russian Imperials.

The mouth on this is standard for the style, but thin in general. It has a bit more body than a beer by the big three, but it's still light. Drinkability is the only area where I really can give this beer a big pat on the back, it's very quaffable, light, and inoffensive to the stomach. Really the definition of a stout session beer.

The bottom line: You can really do a whole lot worse, and a whole lot better. The main appeal of Guinness to me these day is that it is easy to access, as it is available even at places that only serve swill. It's not a particularly depthy beer, but it at least has some flavour profile, and I don't mind having one every once in a while.

05-21-2007 17:02:55 | More by CortexBomb
jslot38

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Collector's Can... cool

Appearance: The notorious cascading effect leaves behind a pitch black body with an off white / egg shell head of about a finger.

Smell: A bit smoked, a bit roasted... nuts, figs, dates, and a bit of baker's chocolate.

Taste: Unlike the extra stout out of the bottle in so many ways. The flavours here are much more subdued. Some initial sweetness quickly cut out by roasted barley and a touch of chocolate and coffee beans. That sweetness returns in the after flavours.

Mouthfeel: Where it lacks in taste it makes up for in mouthfeel. I'll give them this, they have managed to capture that smoothness from the tap.

Drinkability: While a touch filling I don't have any problem putting away that 4 pack in a sitting... and at 4.2%ABV it won't sneak up on you.

05-18-2007 00:41:53 | More by jslot38
DrinkinBoy

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Guinness Draught is a extremely dark brown beer, with a great big tan head that retains well, and sticks to the glass.

The smell is strong, extremely roasted and nutty.

Draught's taste is much sweeter than it smells, but the after taste is nutty.

The mouthfeel is amazing, probably the main reason it is such a good beer. It is almost as thick as a milk shake, with very little carbonation.

Guinness Draught is an extremely smooth beer. It is quite filling, so more than a couple will make a person full. Personally, I enjoy it as a dessert beer. So instead of getting a slice of pie for dinner, I like to get a Guinness.

05-17-2007 03:06:06 | More by DrinkinBoy
Flyer

Wisconsin

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%

I just had my first Guinness in years. I’ve had fond memories of this brand, because it was my introduction to the world beyond watery American lagers many years ago. Maybe my palate has evolved, but I’m pretty sure they’ve changed the product. It still pours beautifully, although I’m convinced the head isn’t quite as thick and creamy -- and it’s an eggshell white, rather than the creamy white I remember. Pleasantly mild roasty notes, but not as dry as I remember, and there isn’t much of a finish at all. Maybe nostalgia is just coloring my memories, but the bottom line is, today I would consider this a decent refreshment beer but not at all one to savor.

05-15-2007 02:50:04 | More by Flyer
Mumps

Maryland

4.72/5  rDev +35.2%

Guinness is one of the best beers I've ever tried. Most of my friends think I"m nuts.

Best if served on tap. Can is second best. Regular Draught bottle is somewhat of a disappointment, not quite having as much of the bold Guinness taste. Still drinkable though.

All told, probably the closest thing to ambrosia in the universe.

05-13-2007 02:07:39 | More by Mumps
pmcadamis

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Black as coal with a creamy nitro head.

S - Sweet, mild, and roasty. It's really hard to describe...I've drunk so much of this beer that I can only say that "it smells like Guiness!" Roasty, toasty, but very mild and a bit milky and sweet.

T - This is creamy and sweet, like cold coffee with lots of cream and sugar. There are also subtle hints of dark chocolate.

M - Creamy and rich but also kind of thin.

D - Extremely drinkable. It's sweet and creamy but also roasty and bitter. Good stuff. I always drink this when I'm out at restaurants, shitty bars, ect. because I usually can't get anything good but this or SA lager, and when it comes down to it I'll usually get a Guinny.

05-12-2007 05:43:14 | More by pmcadamis
skillerified

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Almost completely black, just a few ruby hues poking through at the edges. Tall, creamy cap on top that's completely driven by the nitro. Still one of the most pretty brews out there.

Lighter scents of coffee and chocolate with a milky and creamy texture underneath. Some slightly burnt malt floats on top. Nothing too exotic. Really pretty light.

Coffee, dark chocolate and some cocoa powder are the predominate flavors. Slightly burnt. Mostly sweet. Just a little bitter bite on the finish. Light to medium bodied with a smooth and easy drinking finish.

A bit over-rated, definitely better on-tap, but still a classic brew. Overall, a pretty reasonably tasty brew and a real gateway to the true craft brew market for many.

05-04-2007 05:01:50 | More by skillerified
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +28.1%

You see, the darkest of available beers... and always available, i mean. The problem is it's so temperamental. 3 1/2 plus 3 1/2 plus 62. And if you don't know what that means, you're not a Guinness lover. What young people don't understand is that just because it's dark doesn't mean it's bitter and harsh. For an Irish dry stout, it's the definition. It deserves much more than many a douchebag gives it. Sigh. The appreciation for what this beer has given the world is simply not up to par.

A small child was walking along the road, looking for her mother, late one dark night in london. She found a pub, and, recalling her mother to drink the beer with the big 1759 on the label, she went in, wondering if perhaps her mother could be soliciting some business to bring back to the flat. Instead, she met the bartender, jake. Jake told her that her mother, the attractive brunette of about 115 lbs and a chopped haircut, had retired upstairs with a man that was wearing a rolex. katherine, for that was the little girl's name, thought a rolex was a type of filing system for papers and phone numbers. She wondered why her mommy would spend her whole retirement with an accountant. But jake, for that was the bartender's name, offered a new drink for her to taste. When she saw it, she was afraid. But England doesn't protect children from the amazing wiles of the dark. Katherine took a gulp. It tasted like whipped cream on top of the blackest soot-tea in the world. she took another. and another. soon she was joyful and frolicking, looking for her mommy or her uncle joe to take her home before she ate too much brie. Instead, her mommy came downstairs and introduced her to her new daddy, John D. Rockefeller. She went to live in the mansion of the wealthiest man alive, and grew up and married a respectable young man that loved her with all his heart.

05-03-2007 05:39:04 | More by khiasmus
RBorsato

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Nice downward bubbles on pour ... dark brown to black with a slight ruby edge, a tan creamy nitro head, and lace like wallpaper. Roasty dry aroma and flavor; certainly a standard for the style but other dry stouts seem more robust; light coffee character. Light bodied and airy with an intense dry roasty finish.

Prefer the bottled version (Extra Stout, I believe) over the draft, nitro can, and nitro bottle; the bottled (non-nitro) version seems more robust and a bit creamier.

Per bottle: 125 cal, 9.9g Carb, .3g Prot, 0 Fat

Tasted: 04/07/07

(11.2 oz nitro-bottle)

05-02-2007 22:13:26 | More by RBorsato
RunawayJim

Rhode Island

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Guinness... the classic fall back, or at least it used to be. Drinking this from the bottle as instructed, I did not see anything. The bottle is dark and completely covered by a label, preventing me from seeing the liquid inside. I can only imagine that this beer is dark with a creamy tan head. Also, being from the bottle, there's very little scent that comes through, but what makes it out is very slightly nutty/coffee/roasted.

Taste, something I can easily measure on this one, was similar to the scent. It was weak, but there were some roasted bitter nutty coffee flavors in there. I also noticed a slight metallic taste to it. I'm not sure where that came from but it's there.

It felt very watered down. This is not the Guinness I remember. I remember it being heavier, but this feels very thin and watery, although thicker than a light beer.

Though everything was pretty average, Guinness is still a very drinkable beer, and still a decent fall back.

05-02-2007 00:20:59 | More by RunawayJim
Beaver13

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -38.4%

14.9 oz nitro can. For all its deficiencies, nitro does pour a pretty beer. Pours a black with ruby highlights with a thick and creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass. It's fun watching the nitro bubbles cascade to the top.

The aroma is metallic nitrogen and a little sweet grainy chocolate and leathery coffee.

The flavor is pretty bland - watery, earthy grains, a little coffee with a slightly bitter roasted charcoal finish. The mouthfeel is fairly light and very watery.

Overall, this is not as good as I remember Guinness being. Maybe it's because I'm looking at it more critically. It's just slightly better than BMC beers.

04-28-2007 00:48:53 | More by Beaver13
MrMcGibblets

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

really, i just don't get it. i don't get why this beer commands so much respect. i don't get why the everyman who has no idea what beer is gets me to come to some fucking shithole bar by telling me they have good beer (they saw the ubiquitous guinness tap). ok, it's dark and scary to bmc drinkers. so what? dark beers aren't my favorite anyways. the head is nice off the nitro can, though. guinness really does a good head. but so did some sluts when i was a youngin' and i saw no reason to stay with them more than once or twice. but somehow, i keep revisiting this beer, hoping for something more. must be all the ads. some roasted grain/malt aromas but not anything specific to discern. starts dry, finishes dry. short finish. some light malt flavors, that's it. no hop character to speak of. super light in body/abv. gassy, creamy mouthfeel. i'll just keep telling myself i won't do this again.

04-24-2007 05:00:50 | More by MrMcGibblets
Redwood21

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Got this on tap in a guinness style glass and everything. i have had this beer in the bottle before and didnt realize the popularity of the beer, and had heard that you really need to try it on tap....thats certainly true.

The dark color with a extremely creamy head is just amazing. the head lasts so long that when the beer is done there is still a good amount of head!!!!

Not a whole lot od aroma but there is some roasted coffee. very nice

taste is very good creamy, a faint coffee and roasted malty flavors, smooth is the main ke though. this beer is not one of those havey stouts or big stouts or robust stouts. ppl who need a wallop type drink may not like this. im reviewing it highly because the overall package is so good. the mouthfeel is a little lighter and a little more watery than i would like, but the beer is so creamy its worth it. This is a very drinkable beer. I had this right after i had a harp lager, and this beer was far more enjoyable. Once agin this is not one of those wowser stouts, its just a really good one, that would appeal to those ppl who dont like or arent in the mood for a "big" beer

04-20-2007 08:22:03 | More by Redwood21
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.