Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
1.42/5  rDev -59.7%

First, I am not an expert on beer, but I do love beer and drink and enjoy them a lot.

A: It looks dark, just like coffee with some redish. I like the color, since it remind me of red wines.

S: It smells like carbonated-chocolate, not good smell.

T: It tastes bitter and watery. It is horrible. I rather drink water than it.

M: I really don't know how to say it, but it tastes like bitter medicine which my mom used to force me to drink when I was a kid. It is horrible.

O: The worst beer I have ever encountered. I have signed up here because I want to write a review of this horrible beer.

There is only little tiny beer taste to this stout. It doesn't taste something more than bitter, and is similar to Chinese medicine with straight ingredients. I tried to like it, but since I have already tried 4 cans and I can't even finish 25% of them. I have no choice but to hate it.

The last bad beer I tried is Budweiser, King of Beer; although bad, I can still manage to finish the whole can. This guinness is definitely not something I want to even touch in the future.

3.14/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Pours an opque black into a Chimay goblet with a beautiful hockey puck tan head that sticks around for the experience and leaves some nice lacing.

S: weak but noticeable dark malt, coffee, and smokey.

T: once again a bit weak but noticablle smokey malts, dark roast coffee, and bitter dark chocolate.

MF: smooth, light body, and a bit dry on the end.

O: a classic and iconic beer that doesn't seem as great once your palate developes a bit, there are many better irish dry stouts but still not a bad dry stout.

3.86/5  rDev +9.7%

16oz serving, served way too cold.

A - Small, creamy beige head a top a near black beer with slight amber highlights. Not much for the head, but I would fault the pour for that. Fantastic lacing.

S - Mainly roasted malt, with a touch of cream and milk to it. Almost nothing at first due to it being served too cold. As it warms I can detect espresso, slight milk-chocolate sweetness and a lot of black licorice.

T - Again, mostly roasted malt with a strong cappuccino flavor as well. Milk chocolate is also detectable, and it finishes with a light bitterness from the roasted malt.

M - Little carbonation, with a creamy, yet thin body.

D - A classic. Always good, but probably could have been served a bit better tonight. When everything else on tap is fizzy and yellow, I know what I'm getting.

3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours black w/ chocolate head that quickly goes away. Minimal carbonation and lacing. Guinness Draught smells fairly thin, w/ roasted malt, a hint of chocolate and bitter coffee. Taste is even thinner, w/ the same flavor as the nose profile. Mouthfeel is super thin, and probably the weakest part of this beer. Pretty dry as well. Overall, I can't recommend this beer to anyway, lots of better options out there for the style. Cheers.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a deep, dark brownish black with a reddish hue. There's about 1/2" of head with great retention. Smells of roasted malts. Tastes of roasted malts with a smokiness to it. There's also just a hint of chocolate. Mouthfeel is rather light, thin, and flat, but smooth.

I'm not a huge fan of this classic. I like the other stout offerings from Guinness better.

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%

A: Pours a viscous dark brown almost black color. Provides a thick 2 finger off white foam head. There was some spotty lacing.

S: There is some mild chocolate and earthy hops. Not much else going on here. Rather unimpressive.

T: Starts and ends the same way from beginning to end. Some chocolate, burnt coffee, vanilla and roasted barley. Not overly complex but with a decent amount of flavors.

M: Slightly slick and creamy. Not as dry on the palate as expected.

O: This is a decent representation of the style. It is better on tap then from the can. Not my first choice of brew for this style, but it is somewhat enjoyable in a pinch.

3.26/5  rDev -7.4%

Via a cursory glance of the Guinness website one thing becomes clear: they are the totalitarian beer of the stout world. Without batting an eye, the people of Guinness will tell you exactly how to pour, fawn over, and drink their product.

Although a fledgling beer geek with little in the way of experience with breweries or beer in general, this sailed right past reverence of one’s own product and dry docked at cultish following. Which I suppose is justifiable since Guinness was once supposed to be established as a “cult” brand to increase sales.

Well Guinness, I am going to play the V to your totalitarian regime and give your product the 5th of November in June it rightly deserves.

Appearance: Okay Guinness…So far, I’m buying into your propaganda. The effect of the nitrous pour is pretty fantastic. Watching the bubbles froth and tumble under the swelling head is reminiscent of a rolling thunder head. Definitely makes me want to drink this dark, ruby beauty.

Although, those ruby highlights peeking through the edges of the glass quickly disappear behind the dominating black coffee body. After the fifteen second thunder storm, the head has sustained a thick, two – finger, ashy, off white head. I could cut this thing with a knife. Nice!

Smell: Not much here, it seems the truth is starting to outshine the initial flashiness. Even after getting down to almost nose - in - foam level, there is just the slightest hint of toasted malt. Maybe, MAYBE a hint of dark coffee in there, this is weak. Such an intimidating look needs a stronger nose.

Taste: It’s a rather underwhelming experience on the palate. For those who are only used to standard 4 tap, macro brew fare, it will definitely be a change of pace, but outside of that, there is very little to get excited about. A few quick sips give a stronger impression of the toasted malt. The swallow brought the bitterness of the beer to the forefront and also presented coffee and vanilla notes.

There’s also a musty note to the flavor as I sip, that earthy ground coffee flavor. Overall though, it’s a quick trip from burnt malt to a bitter lingering. The bitterness isn’t overpowering, but it sits on the tongue for awhile after the drink. Not necessarily a bad thing, but doesn’t add to the experience either.

Mouthfeel: It is certainly not as, well, stout, as it should be. You expect a full, chewy mouth to finish on a beer like this, but it’s a medium to thin finish. Not very dry either.

Overall: Guinness is by no means a bad beer, but it definitely doesn’t deserve the cult status and reverence that Guinness would make you believe it does. Everything about this beer is on the weak side. It’s like the brewery had an okay to solid stout recipe and decided to water it down, a heinous crime to say the least.

This baby just begs for a nose and flavor that matches the imposing and impressive look of the beer. Without any back bone, at best, it’s a beer you could turn to after you’ve had some of the stouts that are worthy of the reverence that Guiness wishes it deserved.

3.74/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Served a virtual black color with a thick creamy head and lots of lacing.

S: Aroma is of roasted malt, coffee and a hint of bitterness.

T: Taste of roasted malt, coffee, a bit of sweetness and a nice bitterness through to the finish which is quite dry.

F: Fairly light bodied, creamy and smooth, well balanced.

O: When Guinness is fresh on tap it is "spot-on" as they say. It is an original to which all others are compared to. Common in most pubs in England.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

You really need to have a particular craving and style to enjoy this. It sees like a beer that many people either love or hate. I am on the fence and would probably only order it on St. Patrick's day. The taste just seems somewhat boring to me and not very great. Regardless, the beer is one of the best went it comes to appearance. The name, color, and head give it a very distinguishing look that makes drinkers look sophisticated. The appearance and name is the only reason why I would ever drink it.

NOTE: This review is from a 14.9 oz nitrogenated can.

A Very dark red, like a fire in the middle of a moonless forest. Creamy thick head

S Sour malty smell. Has an aroma of camp fire and evaporated milk.

T A rush of burnt malts hits my palate, more burnt then roasted, but not in a bad way. The second notes are a smooth but sour dextrose, like heavy cream, but lighter. The finish is an after taste of chestnut and pecan.

M very smooth and silky, very dextrose feeling. Goes down like a great stout should. Head stays around the duration of the drink, so you get a nice smooth caress on your upper lip.

O: The quiticential stout. Honestly, this is great out of the nitrogenated can. I was really skeptical that it wouldnt be like the real draft, but it is just like im sitting in my local favorite bar, except im at home, in my underwear

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Haven't had this one in a while but I've always been a little fond of it. Is it as good as I remember? Pours black as night with one finger of head that gradually grows to two as bubbles settle out of the liquid. This puffy tan head lasts for most of the drink. Love the way this stuff looks but the smell has always seemed boring to me; roasted malts with a bit of chocolate.

Taste is of bready, burnt roasted malts without much to support it. Starts off a bit sweet but finishes dry; I've always appreciated this balance. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Ridiculously smooth mouthfeel, like silk. Light-medium bodied with very little carbonation.

I used to think this was one of the finest beers ever but I think my tastes have shifted slightly. I'd certainly never turn one down, but it just seems a little...flat. One note flavour, but if roasted malts and nitro smoothness are your thing, this delivers.

[Updated Dec. 13 2013]

From notes; on-tap at Paddy Flaherty's on Dec. 7th - I hadn't had it in a few years so why not? Guinness seems to be the sort of beer that people either really love or vehemently hate, but I fall somewhere between the extremes. It's not a masterpiece, but it goes down smoothly and quickly. I won't always take this over a macro lager, but it's a nice alternative that occasionally is worth the price bump.

Final Grade:

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

The beer pours a dark brown to black color with a tan head. The aroma is dry, light roasted malt and chocolate. The flavor is roasted malt and some chocolate, as well as a little bit of dark fruit. The mouthfeel is where I really have a problem with the beer. I am not a fan of nitro beers, which almost always taste watered down to me. The mouthfeel is thin to medium.

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%

A- can poured into tall glass. Nice silky, black color with a tall, light brown head. Very fluffy. Guinness pours with the best of them.

S- roasted malt in the nose. Slightly sour. Hard to detect any hop at all

T- Again, roasted malt dominates. Slight bitterness in the finish. Little to none alcohol present. Slight sourness. Looks more intimidating than the taste actually is.

M- Sliky and smooth. A little watery. Slight bit of tingling from the bittering hops at the finish.

O- Guinness is a great stout for those willing to try a heavier beer than they would normally enjoy. Not too harsh, not a ton of alcohol, just a smooth, easy drinking stout w/ a cool nitro cartridge in the can for extra head. I recommend it.

3.71/5  rDev +5.4%

smell is mild. smells of roasted barley, but also a corn-like sweetness.

jet black color. opaque. tan-brown, thick, long lasting head.

tastes like roasted malts, an acidic sourness. thats about it. big roasty malt flavor. there is also a very subtle hop bitterness in the finish. the flavor of roasted malts lingers on the palate long after the finish.

this is a very soft beer with low carbonation, and the nitrogen does lend it some creaminess. overall though this beer is thin.

overall i know my scores suggest i like this beer, but i dont think i do. i buy and drink it because everyone i know likes this beer. i think its light. a stout should not be sessionable. thats just my opinion. and what is more sessionable than 4.2% abv? i say a stout should be a meal in a glass. the old liquid bread. this is not liquid bread.

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%

Widget can poured into a Guinness pint glass. With the new bottles without the widget it's the only way to buy GUinness from your everyday store.
A - Is stunning in color. With it's deep garent color. Sits pure black. The cascade effect is a must watch when poured right. The head is thick and white. Lasts the entire experience. Thick lace is in the plenty.
S - Is a fairly good. It just smells like a Guinness. Very rich and bitter smell. Nothing too fancy. Just Guinness. Roasted malt, with a hint of coffee/chocolate.
T - Is very thick and smooth. A lovely taste throughout IMO. Roasted and sweet at the beginning into the middle. A Bittersweet finish. Delightful really.
M - Is well above average. Very smooth and very drinkable for me. I drink this often and never complain.
O - I dont know why Guinness Draught gets such bad reviews. Maybe because there are many great craft brewers in this day and time. Guinness is everywhere and most of the "great" brewers arent as readily available. I'm not sure, but Guinness is a solid brew. I drink it on a the regular here, and when I travel to the U.K. Sure there are better, but Guinnes always brings a lovely experience ;) Plus you can get it literally anywhere

3.24/5  rDev -8%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - JAN 3, 2008

Pours very dark with nice head, tastes like roasted coffee and malts. Very creamy and smooth and hardly any carbonation, filling... almost like drinking a liquid meal. Not bad at all, but I'm not a big fan of nitrogenated brews and this one just comes off a bit dull to me.

3.07/5  rDev -12.8%

A - One thing about a Guinness is they look cool. Close to black with a tan very creamy head, brown showing around the edges. Cascade effect is very cool.

S - Not much smell, little coffee and some dark roasted malt.

T - Not a lot of flavor, dark roasted malt and a touch of coffee maybe.

M - Watery and light bodied, the head helps add a bit of something though.

O - Not ones of my favorites due to the lack of flavor, I would choose it over a bud or miller but over any decent craft brew.

2.24/5  rDev -36.4%

Starts with a dirty aftertaste. No malt to speak of, except a possible infusion of very old, well-used coffee grounds. Truly a dishwater flavor with a little more salt than I like in my dishwater. Watery is the word. Faint medicinal smell. Sloshy froth of nitro does nothing for it. Pours in three parts-- brownish beer topped by a gray layer, and then a beige head.

What is going on with this? Maybe I got the product from Guinness Somalia instead. Barely drinkable. Air has more flavor. Water tastes better. At least water doesn't have this terrible metallic aftertaste. Probably what a dung beetle would use to wash the dust down his little throat. It's that nasty. Can has the newer big golden harp thanks to Diageo.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not a terrible beer. Not sure why it gets really low scores.

First off, I hate drinking a Guinness without the nitro. Without it (which mine is), it's just gay. Anyway, color is dark black with ruby highlights when held to the light. Aromas of roasted grains, coffee and citrus.

Taste is as the nose. Slight taste of coffee and roasted grains with citrus having a clear presence.

Not a lot going on in the nose or taste. But hey after all it is a session beer & a dry stout. So a clear example of the style. Perhaps it lacks a little than other examples, but a good example of the style... I think.

3.41/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Dark ruby color, pretty much pitch black with some red at the bottom of the glass. Has that distinctive cascading effect from the nitrogen bubbles. Thick and creamy head that settles to a 1/2 inch thick foam that does not go away. Completely blankets the glass in foam.

The main thing you can smell here is the roasted character, namely coffee. Very mild herbal hop.

Flavor is generally roasted, coffee, charcoal and roasted nut flavors come to mind. Herbal hop flavors tickle the tongue with a teasing level of bitterness. Creamy finish.

Light-bodied almost to the point of being watery. It's amazing though how many people think this is a thick beer simply because it is dark and has more flavor than light beer. I know for a fact it's lighter than most lagers because it sits on top in any black-and-tan. Just about zero carbonation. Nothing interesting here.

As far as Irish dry's go, this stuff is just ok. It does not even come close to something with flavor and texture like Guinness Extra Stout. Probably still the best draught style Irish dry out there. I think I'm just biased and like my stouts thick and robust. This beer is very easy to drink though.

4.21/5  rDev +19.6%

Look: Dark brown with reddish rings around the edges. Beautiful almost 1 inch tan head has amazing retention and beautiful lace. I still believe in all my years of drinking that this is the most beautiful beer I have ever seen

Smell: Roasted malt and coffee upfront with bitter chocolate on the finish

Taste: Pretty much the same as the nose. Roasted malt and coffee notes upfront. Flavors fade pretty quickly but leave a hint of bitter chocolate on the finish

Mouthfeel: wonderful buttery smoothness quality to it. Full body and light carbonation

Overall: This is still my go to beer when I dont feel like spendy a bunch of money on beer. I absolutely love this piece

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%

Another classic beer! I've had this a couple times, but hated it initially. Let's hope I was just immature in my understanding of beer!

I cracked open the nitro can, and it let out a loud hiss as i poured it. I think my can might be a bit old. the beer bours a very dark but not completely opaque ruby/black. the famous guinness cascade leads to a nice creamy head on top. A very appealing-looking beer.

The smell is light and malty. There is a slight smokiness to it that is quite appealing and also a hint of chocolate syrup, but overall the aroma is faint.

The taste is very mild compared to what i remember. It has some faint toasted maltiness along with some faint smoky coffee. The aftertaste is slightly bitter and burnt.
The mouthfeel is what kills me with this beer! It's so watery!

Overall, I should try this on tap and get a better experience. Not as bad as i remember, but not what I was hoping for either.

4.31/5  rDev +22.4%

Appearance-I love drinking imported stouts in a nitro can, its a experience within itself, the color after the pour goes from a chocolate type brown to coal black after a couple of minutes, when held up to a light there is some redness shining through.

Smell- I'm picking up allot of hints of coffee and some cocoa, very pleasent smelling stout.

Taste-allot like the smell for me, tastes somewhat like cold coffee with some chocolate at the end, very good stout.

Mouthfeel-very thick, the usual mouthfeel you get from a stout, but not bad

Overall this is a very good stout, i would prefer this out of the nitro can or on draft than in the bottle just because of taste alone and you are not getting as much from the bottle in terms of ounces.

3.49/5  rDev -0.9%

Guinness Draught served in my local pub in Dublin, Ireland:

A - Deep, dark, brown, almost black with a large cascading, creamy head. Divine!

S - Initially there is roasted barley, then earthiness, cream and chocolate milk.

T - Burnt coffee, chocolate, hearty roasted barley, milk and cream, brew malts, with a finish of measured bitterness.

MF - Frothy-creaminess and a very silky, light/medium mouthfeel which then goes down in a smooth way - plenty to get your mouth around here.

O - I've always found Guinness on-tap to be very refreshing, it's tasty and has a nice texture to it - it's not hard to understand why it's still a popular drink worldwide.

3.44/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from new widget-less nitro bottle to an imperial pint, even though the label says to enjoy straight from the bottle. No freshness date.

A: Nearly black in color, a very dark cola color with a thick, foamy cocoa head. Great retention and lacing.

S: Roasted barley and coffee, a little weak in the nose.

T: Roasted and bitter barley with a slight coffee flavor and a hint of cola. Lightly hopped, clean finish.

M: Against its reputation in the States, it has a light-medium body that is creamy up front, a tad watery in the middle, and finishes smooth. More true to the style description than its legend.

O: This is a solid Irish Dry Stout. It's better in the nitro can, and I prefer the Extra Stout over the Draught (would love to try the Foreign Extra someday). Not a complex beer, but very drinkable. This was the first "dark beer" I ever drank on a semi-regular basis. There are many stouts I would prefer, but this is a classic.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.