Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours black with off-white head and good patchy lacing, head lasts till the end of the glass. Aroma is light roasted coffee, smoke, some dark chocolate. Taste is similar with bittery aftertaste. Medium and very creamy mouthfeel - it seems there is too much of that creaminess.

Overall, not a bad stout, but certainly not the best there is. Still, I would say that Guiness is one of the best international macros in the world.

atis, Feb 02, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

I never understood why people enjoy this. I love stouts, but this is...bad. I have had it multiple times from a nitro-bottle, but my best experience, nitro-tap, is presented here.

23 oz of Guinness were served in a frosted 23oz pilsner...it was at BW3s...go figure.

A - black, like a stout should be, there are some hints of ruby at the edges, but it's pretty dark, but not as dark as it's much better tasting cousin Extra Stout. It had a small 1.5cm head.

S - roasted barley, coffee, smoke, tobacco.

T - basically: coffee and cigarettes. roasted barley, coffee, smoke, tobacco, and throw together with a very, very dry finish.

M - incredible. the creamiest beer I have ever had.

D - I despise this beer. Once, I did manage to stomach it by taking a drink and chasing it with Jager, but since Jager tastes like an asshole, I had to chase it with some Guinness. This cycle of perpetual drinking got me hammered pretty quickly.

Note: I realized that my original review wasn't objective, so I altered the ratings to ignore my feeling of the style.

bowersdm, Feb 02, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from 14oz can with nitro ball

A- Absolutely pitch black with an awesome cascading effect. As the nitro-injection settles it forms a perfect finger width, creamy, foamy, tight off-white head. It's sticks to the glass and the head consistency remains all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S- Very pleasant aroma of sweet and roasted malts. Slight caramel notes with a bit of smokiness.

T- Malt is nicely roasted with little astringency. The roasted malts flavors are smoky, coffee, slight chocolaty. Follows with a very slight floral hop flavor. There's a slightly astringent bite, that works nicely with the sweet roasted malt flavors.

M- Medium bodied with a silky smooth mouthfeel and oh so creamy. mmmm.

D- Very drinkable. Light and low alcohol. Makes for a good session.

sentomaster, Feb 02, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I used to have one or two of these only on St. Patrick's day, like the rest of the beer-drinking world, until I went to Ireland a few years ago. There, it seems to often be the only non-lager available at pubs throughout the countryside, and I got my fill of it, and then some. Haven't had it in a while, but there's something about a dark pub and those ubiquitous black Guinness skirts that the waitresses wear.

A full UK pint arrives at the table in my local Irish, and looks to be an opaque black, with reddish cola highlights, barely perceptible in the low backlighting of the pub, and one finger of a perfectly solid, foamy, caked tan head, which leaves a patchwork of mesa profile lace around the glass as it very slowly abates.

It smells of nutty, lightly roasted grainy malt, with subtle ministrations of bittersweet chocolate and cold coffee grounds. The taste is dry toasty caramel malt, a mild floral hoppiness, some ethereal pithy drupe fruitiness, and a swirling cafe au lait character. Nothing particularly hoppy manifests.

There is indeed very little carbonation, the body surprisingly medium-light, a tad creamy, and definitely smooth, though it somehow feels like it's sticking to the roof of my mouth. It finishes dry, with a redux of that aromatic toasted nuttiness.

Overall, hey, it's Guinness - mild stout flavours and an easy quaffing quotient make it a reliable option for a session of whiskey and ale interlacing. Add in the decidedly un-American ABV levels, and you're good to go, once you convince your eyes that this is not actually heavy in the slightest.

biboergosum, Feb 01, 2009
2.6/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Enjoy straight from the bottle? Sorry, but I'm doing a review so this is going in the pint glass. Wait a minute.. what is that clicking? Upon looking at the bottle there is apparently some sort of rocket contraption in here that will allow me to enjoy this as if it were served on tap.. well, here goes nothing. Pours a dark black with a creamy white head and the standard brownish alive cool looking action in the beer before it settles to black with the cream head that lasts. This is not lacing, as the beer moves from the glass the creamy composition of the head literally stays on the glass. Smells of coffee and faint chocolate. Tastes primarily of watered down coffee, a faint chocolate and a little nutty. The beer feels both creamy and watery, no carbonation. The Guinness Stout products I've had are robust and full of flavor, this is relatively very watered down. At least it looks cool.

tconboy, Jan 30, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

A: ordered a pint at an Irish pub. Black color with only the slightest fringe of brown. Enormous, creamy, dense head.

S: earthy, very forward dark malts, a little brown sugar, smidgen of banana ester.

T: bitter, burnt malt. Not much else.

M: ultra creamy and light, no matter what anyone says!

D: the ultimate session beer.

Richardberg, Jan 30, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

on tap.

Pours a good looking black body with slightly red edges. Creamy, good sized, tan head floats atop - with good lacing and good retention. Good looking, even though I know the rest of the beer lacks.

Smell is of roasted barley and sweet malts. Not very strong, and nothing else I can detect really.

Taste is of caramel, roasted coffee, hints of chocolate. On paper, it doesn't sound too bad, but all of these flavors are just completely, totally watered down. It's actually almost like coffee/caramel/chocolate flavored water.

The mouthfeel suffers as well due to the watering down. It's creamy, yes, but definitely not what it can and should be. Carbonation is pretty much non-existent. I couldn't drink more than a pint of this on any given night - it's just not my thing. There's nothing really to it.

TMB0424, Jan 28, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

I had only ever had Guinness on tap at a bar so I decided to give the "widget" can a try.

A- That classic dark black color with a creamy tan head that stays with you the whole way down.

S- Strong roasted barley scent with caramel hints

T- A bit of roasted creamy barley flavor. Very little carbonation and a slightly bitter finish.

M- Smooth and creamy but a little bit watery from the can as opposed to on tap.

D- Depends on specific taste. I personally would only enjoy one or two guinness in a setting but I have heard of some that make it a session beer. Overall this is the world standard for stout beer that isn't the best one out there but certainly is worth a try.

projectflam86, Jan 26, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

You know what? Screw all this A S T M D stuff. I ain't holding this in a glass up to the light, I ain't swriling it around. I'm not smelling it like the cotton patch on my wifes dirty panties.

THIS

IS

GUINNESS.

This is lower in carbs and calories than Budwieser. This is MY lawnmower beer. I can drink it all day and maintain. I can cook with it on March 17th, and plow through it for 15 hours until I move to Baileys on ice around March 18th at 5AM. My American heart pumps Irish blood, and this beer would be my desert island choice. Slainte!

HalenRush, Jan 26, 2009

Guinness Draught
Guinness Ltd.
Style: Irish Dry Stout
ABV = 4.2

2 beers tested, 10/1/09 (from bottle & glass)

as suggested from bottle
A 0.0 - n/a

poured into a glass
A 4.0 - cool carbo style, 1 finger head, frothy head, expresso bean color
S 2.5 - chocolate toasty maltiness - but subtle -I had to try hard
T 2.0 - bitter watery expresso malt notes
MF 2.0 - watery stale coffee taste, is this nitrogen thing a gimmick?
D 1.0 - I poured this out, terrible example of a stout, I would not drink this for free - seriously - I am not trying to slam this beer but its undrinkable in my opinion.

unclejimbay, Jan 21, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +34.1%

I had to come to the rescue of this beer, and the pride of the Irish in general. First of all, don't drink this out of a bottle or can, it will taste like crap. This review is solely based on my experience with Guinness, straight from the tap in a classic Irish pub in Dublin, which I assure you is quite different than cracking open a can and pouring it into an Irish Car Bomb. Now,Guinness on tap in CA is crap, in New York it's pretty good, in western Ireland is pretty damn good, and in Dublin is fucking amazing. The appearance is thick, like motor oil, with a beautifully dense creamy head. The smell is a bit hard for me to detect, but it's the classic "stout" smell, if you catch my drift. The taste was absolutely wonderful, thick, creamy, chocolatey. The drinkability can be judged by the general happiness and hospitality of the Irish people, who rightfully use this as their lifeblood to write poems, carry on amazing traditional music sessions, and appreciate nature. Ok ok, am I rambling here? To conclude, drink this in Dublin from a pint poured by an expert barman, rather than out of a can or in a car bomb. That'll be all, now.

raoulduke37, Jan 21, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

It says drink from the bottle, but I always pour into my trusty Sam Adams Glass.

Pours a little dark, bubbles, chocolate, and caramel colors are prevalent

smell is good

The taste is good, creamy and the beer finishes well

The mouthfeel is good, very solid for a liquid.

The beer is very drinkable, and legendary Guinness is outstanding!

ncbeermonger, Jan 18, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Dark in color with an amazingly frothy head. Looks quite good.

S- Not much smell to this beer. Some toasty and espresso notes.

T- A great dry stout. Toasty notes, come coffee and chocolate notes also come through on the finish.

M- I LOVE the mouthfeel of guinness. SUPER creamy. Very little carbonation, but in this case, it's fine by me.

D- Very Drinkable. I find myself polishing off pints in no time flat.

For 35 a case, there are other beers I would rather drink, but I keep a 6 pk on hand for those nights where i just want a creamy smooth stout.

taylor714914, Jan 17, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +37.5%

There are not many other stouts that can compare to Guinness in my honest opinion. I have had numerous others and they are just not as good.

Everything from the creamy head that lasts even after all the liquid is gone in the glass, to the deep dark color and complex strong smooth flavour with relatively low alcohol content, makes this one of my all time favorite beers ever.

I will say though that this has varying steps of "amazingness". Starting from fully amazing to less amazing here are the steps:

1) This extremely amazing when served on tap anywhere in the British Isles.
2) Very good served on tap in other parts of the world.
3) Quite good when served in the draught can with the widget.
4) Not as good when served in a bottle. When it doesn't have the gas release widget to give it that creamy effect, its just not as good.

barleysandwich, Jan 14, 2009
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours black with some ruby highlights when held up to light. It has a beautiful off white head that lasts throughout. The nose is nothing over powering, but there are hints of chocolate and licorice. The taste is much like the nose, except with a touch of coffee. This beer is rather easy to drink as the taste is nothing overpowering. The mouthfeel in the nitro-bottle is somewhat thin especially compared to this on tap. While this was a decent drinking experience there are much better stouts out there which I would rather spend my money and time drinking.

thegodfather2701, Jan 14, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours black with a cool-looking, cascading-foam effect that eventually leaves a one-finger light yellow/gray cap. Slight lacing. Smells faintly of slightly sweet dark. If I strain I think I get a bit of coffee/chocolate, but that may be wishful thinking. Tastes similarly weakly, though slight bittersweet chocolate comes through. Really mild and just plain characterless.

philipquarles, Jan 14, 2009
2.13/5  rDev -39%

Had a bottle then poured into tall pilsner glass. Came with the 18 pack Irish collection that I received for Christmas.

I was clearly not impressed with Guinness to say the least. The appearance made it look promising, but that was probably the only good thing about the beer. There was no smell to it, the taste was blah, and the mouthfeel wasn't very good. Maybe it's me, but I didn't feel this was a drinkable beer on its own. As part of a Irish Car Bomb or a fresh pint from a pub in Ireland, maybe. Not so here in the States. I'm not likely to buy a six pack of Guinness anytime in my future.

RAdragna, Jan 13, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

Color: black and beautiful

Smell:

Taste:

Mouthfeel: wonderful. the nitrogen offers a smoothness not found in most other beers. not very rich. med-high body.

Notes: guinness is pretty "wet" for a stout. i appreciate irish style and it will always have a special place in my heart but it is probly the most drinkable of stouts. not much aroma or taste. i used to drink it quite a bit and dont recall it tasting this impotent. great introduction to the style.

Frosty80, Jan 12, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

served in a 25 oz mug, miles of head, beautiful lacing. weak almost non-existent smell, tastes like guinness, caramelly,and smooth. can't really know this beer, its not the best stout out there, but its probally converted more bmc drinkers than any other beer.

redneckchugger, Jan 11, 2009

A- After a two-part pour, the beer was presented to me with a 1 finger thick white head. The body is black but I was saddened to see light through it. As the glass empties, there is some nice clinging lace.

S- Cream, chocolate, light roast, and roasty twang.

T- Starts out nice and creamy with notes of chocolate, bits of smooth coffee and some smooth roastiness.

M- Ultra creamy, smooth, and a long lasting finish.

D- This is definitely best on tap. Cans and bottles don't do this justice. Luckily, it's available at many beers making it a good fallback. Although sessionable, the sweetness becomes a bit cloying after a couple.

Greggy, Jan 08, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into glass from the can.

The color is an almost opaque black, with almost a red overtone. Has about an inch of foamy off white head which is quite thick.

The smell is of a very light coffee smell, a very slight chocolate flavor and a slight hope flavor as well.

The taste is chocolate slightly but taste is a little off and it better on tap.

This was my first stout and I still love to have a few every once in a while. I have moved on to other stouts and I hope to have one in Ireland but this is the one I always base my comparison on.

Duhast500, Jan 08, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

Pouring this beer in a glass is probably the best thing about it! It's pretty cool to see the beer transform before my eyes.

Appearance is dark as night with a nice creamy head throughout the entire session.

The aroma is of roasted malt and smoke.

The taste reminds me of black coffee with a very dry finish.

Overall the low alcohol and calories is nice, but the I feel the best way to partake of this stout is through a black and tan.

I still need to get out to Ireland and drink the original there!

kaseydad, Jan 08, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

Normally I wouldn't resort to reviewing a beer in more than one "serving type" until I am far into my BA journey. The only reason I do so now is because of the stark differences of the can and bottled version.

My friend, having just come home from Ireland, thought it would make him feel better if he purchased some Guinness. So naturally, he offered me one. I figured since I had just recently reviewed the nitro-can version I would give this one a shot. It can't be much different, can it?

Boy was I wrong. It was the same roiling brew I was accustomed to. For whatever reason, the head appeared to be much whiter this time. The brew looked the same, heck it even smelled the same. What struck me as odd was the taste. Or better yet, what taste?!?! This beer had literally no taste! I could barely pick out any flavor as this was incredibly watered down. I was utterly shocked to be honest. It was still very creamy and had a good mouthfeel, and the little-to-no taste made it very drinkable, but man, was this a different experience than the can.

Someone once told me if you buy Guinness, make sure it's in the can. +1 to that. Don't bother with the bottles.

Mistofminn, Jan 05, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

The Nitro bottle version:

A - poured from the bottle into a pint glass, yielding a dark brown/black body with a very scant off white creamy head that receded into a cap. wtf?

S - faint roasted malts, cocoa, cream, and a very light waft of hops.

T - the taste followed the smell and was also very dumbed-down.

M - medium bodied and lightly carbonated with the "widget", a tad watery

D - eh, go with the can or on tap

Overall - this isn't Guinness. If you want a good version of the Draught style, get it on tap. If you want good Guinness, get the Extra Stout.

DmanGTR, Jan 05, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

14,9oz nitro can poured into a mug

A_Underneath the head is a beautiful gradient from top to bottom ranging from light brown to darkest of dark brown/black. Creamy head french vanilla covered. Head is very wet and dense; looks more like a hockey puck sitting on top. The movement of sediment is gorgeous, makes the beer so damn lively! Leaves a sticky frosted glass lacing. I guess if you don't pour this yourself, i.e. a server pours it before it gets to your table, then you might not witness how cool this beer looks.

S_Lightly roasted oats, fresh biscuits, not very intense

T_Charcoal and grainy light toasted bread. Light chocolate too

M_Very watery body that mixes strangely with the ever-creamy head. Extra low carbonation, strange overall

D_Light aftertaste leaves more to be desired and the light body all lead to high repeatability, however the mouthfeel is too much to overcome

echdk3, Jan 03, 2009
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.