Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.97/5  rDev -15.4%

I like watching the beer waterfall in my glass after pouring. Once the action settled down, a nice creamy head was left on top the very dark brown beer.

The smell is light. I get a whiff of roasted grain and that's about it. The taste is watery, though you can still taste roasted grain somewhat. It also has a little sourness to it. Not too much from the hops on this one.

Overall, this isn't the best of stouts, but it looks good and is easy to drink.

3.37/5  rDev -4%

Almost no aroma, slight amount of chocolate malt hints.

Black color but can see small amounts of dark red when held up to light.

Smooth and thick mouthfeel that is hardly carbonated, its more foamy and stays on sides of glass

Roasted chocolate and dry bitterness, subtle flavors.

Easy to drink when the foam lowers, and its much better on tap.

1.03/5  rDev -70.7%

I love me a Guinness on tap, to the point where I'll pay a pretty steep price for a pint at my local hippie bar that knows how to pour one correctly. (And they even draw a cool little shamrock on the foam).

I love savoring a pint or two with some good friends, some good pub grub, or just nursing a couple because they just taste so damn good.

That being said: Just what in the HELL is this shit? Tried a can at home, foolishly thinking I could maybe, just maybe, recreate some of the joy I get from a real Guinness on tap.

I've nothing to add to the other "F" reviews other than to say this swill is total crap, a waste of money and a blight on the name of Guinness.

2.74/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearance
Got to love the cascading effect when poured from the can. When held to the light it is a dark ruby in color, not even close to the black that it appears in a dimly lit bar. One finger meringue like head after the cascade settles.

Smell
Very weak nose of roast and malt. Really not much else there.

Taste
Nowhere near the full flavor and body you would expect from a dark stout. A bit disappointing in terms of the strength of the flavors. The subdued flavors of coffee, roast and chocolate are barely detectable. Almost like a watered down Foreign Extra. Great flavors just nowhere close to the intensity I would want.

Mouthfeel
Thanks to the nitro can there is an amazingly smooth feel with no carbonation bite. However the body is very thin and weak.

Drinkability
Easy to drink but is in a category in which some of the best don't typically tread in the territory of awesome drinkability.

3.37/5  rDev -4%

A-dark brown, almost black with a creamy grayish tan head. it has that beautiful slow cascade effect. the head when settled is truly unique. the head stays and creates a nice lacing.

S-smells great, there's definitely some chocolate and dark roasted coffee. it is a very weak scent though.

T-has a very creamy but watery taste of coffee. has a slightly dark roasted coffee flavor at the end. there's a very weak after-taste of coffee. it isn't the best stout, but it is definitely a decent drinker.

M-very creamy with little carbonation.

D-well as far as common beers go, this is about as drinkable as it gets. it doesn't go down extremely quickly, but i could drink this all night long.

3.17/5  rDev -9.7%

Guinness is a beer that I can definitely drink a ton of in a sitting, but the nitro-can is probably the worst way of serving it. The beer seems to be lighter in color for some reason, and just doesn't have the smoothness and mouth feel of getting out of a tap. It still has nice lace on the side of my glass, but I have yet to pour a Guinness that doesn't Over all this is an average beer in a sup bar container. I'll be sticking to tap from now on, or bottles if I haven't a better option.

2.67/5  rDev -23.9%

Review is based on serving type: nitro-bottle (US)

An embarrassment to the true guinness draught experience. Nitro-bottle should be discontinued. The nitro-can does a satisfactory job in replicating the keg-draught version of the beer found is bars. The nitro-bottle does not.

Resembles Guinness Extra Stout much more than Daught:
Appearance: looks identical to Guinness Extra Stout when poured into a Sam Adams glass. Head is brown with large standard beer CO2 bubbles, nothing like nitrogen draught white frothy head
Smell: Subtle
Taste: Smooth... but watery and unpronounced compared to bar version
Mouthfeel: Worst part of experience. The nitrogen feel of the guinness draught (creaminess) is absent. Resembles a flat "light beer" stout feel.

Again,
I am a fan of Guinness Draught but the nitro-bottle does not work. Gimick. Buy in nitro-can or only allow it to be a special treat at the bar.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Rich black beautiful, with a very lovely off-white head

Smell: Very nice aroma! Coffee/chocolate type smell.

Taste: Always wonderful.

Mouth feel: Watery for a stout.

Drinkability: Great! One good thing about Guinness is that you can drink a shitload of it!

Guinness is a great beer! I don't normally drink it unless it's on tap, but occasionally I pick a couple up.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

A- Black as night body with a small creamy white head.

S- Lots of coffee roast and malts.

T- Tons of fresh roasted coffee and maltiness some caramel and milk chocolate, dry finish. Tasty.

M- Thats the one sore point for me in this nitro bottle version, hardly any carbonation and the mouthfeel suffers because of this it just seems too thin and watery.

D- Very drinkable, easy quaffing.

3.98/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance- Black with a big, frothy head of very tight bubbles. Lots of lacing.

Smell- Roasted barley and chocolate. Small amount of coffee aroma as well.

Taste- Creamy, roasted barley. Some chocolate and a little coffee tang in the end.

Mouthfeel- Very creamy. Even though this is the stout everyone thinks of when they think of a stout, I would like it to be a little thicker.

Drinkability- Very easy to drink. Low abv and the creaminess makes me want to have one after another.

This was my "gateway" beer. My tastes have changed, but there will always be a special place in my heart for Guinness.

3.22/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from 14.9 oz. nitro-can into pint glass.

A: For me he appearance of the draught upon pour does it for me. It really sets up the whole experience to follow, and perhaps brings me back when I otherwise wouldn't. Cascading clouds settle into a perfect looking glass of beer, dark with beautiful thick creamy head.

S: Roasted malts and barley. Low key.

T: A very watered-down taste of roasted malts. Again for me, this works sometimes. This beer is easy to drink and has some nice flavor behind it. Mildly bitter, but in comparison with other beers, it's not really bitter at all.

M: Thin and watery, but still feels really good while drinking.

D: Yes. The low abv and the light taste and feel of this beer can keep it going for a long while.

Not a bad choice if you just want to drink a few that have some flavor and not have to over think about what you're drinking, but to just enjoy yourself.

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance - Black body, thick offwhite creamy head with good retention.

Smell - Slight banana bread, slightly sweet. Maybe licorice. Smell is good but a little subdued, unfortunately.

Taste - Slightly nutty, hints of banana. A little bland. Very noticable alcohol sharpness, barely masked by a bit of chocolate.

Mouthfeel - A little more watery than I remember. However, this bottle didn't come with a widget, so that might have some (lack of) effect on the body. For a beer whose body fullness is often referred to as being like "eating a loaf of bread", it sure doesn't live up to the hype.

Drinkability - Too unbalanced and boring to be a session beer.

2.82/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Love the appearance of a well poured Guinness Draught. Black with rippling brown waves and a full tan head.

S: Light roasted malt and some caramel, not much overall

T: Water seems to be the most prevalent flavor here, with some light roasted malt and not even much dryness at the end.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

Overall, this beer simply doesn't live up to the hype that it gets. Lots of attention and a fantastic appearance, but the smell and taste don't do it justice.

2.82/5  rDev -19.7%

I don't know why I really need to explain this much but here goes... Pours black with the awesome waterfall o bubbles that everyone is used to. There is also a finger of thick off-white foamy head which you can make pretty designs with. The aroma is basically confined to some burnt malts... But not very apparent. The taste starts with some chocolately malts and then pretty much ends there... But a little bIttermess thrown in for good measure. There is also a metallic aftertaste I do not enjoy. The beer finishes smooth but I have never ever been able to get drunk off it. If you're ordering a carbomb, this is the beer to go with.

2.65/5  rDev -24.5%

Guinness, this is going to be really hard for me to say, so I'm just going to come out and say it: I think we should start spending some time apart.

We had a lot of fun in college and in the years since. Remember that time I got a free pint glass for every round at that sports bar in Ann Arbor? I still have that collection on my shelf. Good times... And hey, credit where credit is due, you were one of the first to teach me that beer doesn't have to be yellow, fizzy and taste like corn. I'll never forget you for that. But I'm older now, and it's time to move on...

All right...I can see what you're going to say, but before you accuse me of being shallow, you need to know that this has nothing to do with looks. In fact, you're drop-dead gorgeous with your nitro-fueled mocha foam.

It's just... I just...expect more substance from my relationship with a beer now. Man, this is hard... Look, your flavors just aren't as bold as I expect even in the relatively light Dry Irish Stout category. I need more than light chocolate and biscuity malt that quickly fades on the palate. It's as simple as that.

Hey...don't be sad...it's not like we'll never see each other again. We'll hang out at Cubs games or the occasional chain restaurant. I mean, what am I going to do...start seeing Old Style and Bud Light?

Just remember. It's not you. It's me.

2.02/5  rDev -42.5%

I don't know what to say here. In the midst of looking for something different as my desired brew was sold out, I decided to pick up a 4 pack of these. Immediately upon pouring I found myself impressed with the extremely thick and creamy retentive foam-head. After that, it all went down hill. Smell is very faint, and not at all impressive. Taste was very light, with some slight coffee and chocolate notes that were there, pretty much like flavored water. Mouthfeel was creamy with absolutely no carb tingle. Drinkability would be great if I was being forced to drink it, being so light and watery I could drink until I'm full, but the overall failure of this brew ensures I won't be buying this again.

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: Black with a redish hue and a 1 finger creamy tan head.

Smell: roasted barley, malts,

Taste: roasted barley, water,

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, nice creamy texture.

Drinkability: very easy drinker. smooth and refreshing.

Cheers,

The CPJ

3.31/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance: Deep Brown to black with a creamy one inch white head.

Smell: Lighly toasted malt with a hint of chocolate.

Taste: Black coffee with bittersweet chocolate.

Mouthfeel: No real carbonation feel on the tongue and a creamy feel after drinking.

Drinkability: If you like the flavor combination this would be very easy to sit down for 5 or 6 of these. A little too watery for my tastes though.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a very dark brown liquid with 3 finger thick foamy tan head that settles to about a 1 finger head. Smell is fairly light mostly of chocolate malt. Has something of a sour taste to it, it's not bad but unique. The bitters and smokiness are quite light here, contrary to the beers appearance. Fairly creamy, almost milky, but thin, too thin in my opinion. The beer is very easy to pound though, when served properly, and could be drank all evening long.

3.82/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings.

A: It just does not get much better than the look of this stuff in a pint glass. Jet black...amazing tan head.

S: Roasted grains...not much more.

T: This is the best way to have your Guinness. Still a solid, satisfying drink.

M: Great creaminess in the beginning. Things leads to some thinness on the back side but still pretty nice.

D: Guinness on tap is always a good, safe choice and always beats out the BMC competition.

2.79/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Ok...so there wasn't much on tap at the bar I went to on Saturday night. Decided to grab a guinness. Hell, it's only 120 calories! How bad can it be?

A: Pours ruby red - maybe dark brown. Nice white head that stays around forever on top. Frothy. Pretty inviting other than the color

S: Ummmm - nothing

T: Water and Malt - that's about it.l

M: Light and crisp - easy to chug to be honest. Back in college I would have gasped at such a statement but as I have become a fan of the RIS style this beer is just water and malt

D: All night - you look like a badass drinking this beer compared to a bud light. Plus, it only has 10 more calories for those that care.

3.91/5  rDev +11.4%

A-Pours a dark tar black with a 2 finger creamy white head

S-tobacco notes with some maltyness

T-Starts off with some creaminess and then finish's with a dry roasted taste

M- medium boddied with great carbonation

D- THis is a classic beer. Wont ever turn this down. Love this beer. will drink it on a hot day or a freezing cold day!

3.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Open the can and pour directly into a glass for best results... wait for the beer to form, might take a minute or two... thick, creamy head on top when finished. Feels a little watery in the mouth, but goes down smooth. Not as full-bodied or full-flavored as I would have hoped. Overall, a good beer. I will have a another... then some homemade taco pizza... peace out.

4.07/5  rDev +16%

Nitro tap into pint glass

A: Tar black. The softest, tightest head I've ever seen. Beautiful.

S: Sweet, malty with very slight metallic notes.

T: Don't know what to say....a classic. Sure it doesn't have all of the pomp of an artisinal brew but it is delectable. Smooth, slightly bitter. Coffee, unswetened cocoa. It could very well be chocolate syrup and bog water (a la Simpsons) but it is really great in any event.

M: The very definition of smooth.Like James Gallway and Smokey Robinson in a beer.

D: I've never turned down a Guinness and I am sure I never will.

4.16/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: black in color with a one inch creamy head, opaque--Even when poured from a nitro can, beers do not look much better than Guinness

Smell: roasted malt and tobacco

Taste: dry roasted malt, tobacco, and some creamy sweetness

Mouthfeel: dry, light bodied, moderate carbonation, sweet and roasty

Drinkability: A classic and one of the best looking beers I have seen. This to me is still the benchmark of the style and I would love to try it on tap in Ireland some day. That said, I could session this.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.