Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -16%

Pours a dark dark brown, thick fluffy tan head with good retention. Looks good.

Not much of a smell here, some roasted malts and slight sweetness. Nothing special.

Roasted malts, hints of coffee and chocolate, tiny tiny bitterness in the after taste. Seems like a good stout watered down.

Like drinking thick water or milk, almost no carbonation, like skim milk.

Easy to drink, like drinking water. It is good compared to crap, which doesn't say much.

This brew will always be my favorite. Most individuals are intimidated to try it because of how dark and rich it pours. The pour from a can or on tap is iconic- and there is a particular way to pour this brew. The taste is a delicate mixture of malt and coffee. Despite its rich pour and thick head the beer is like and has a watery mouthfeel. This beer only gets better and as it warms.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

My 2nd guinness brew and have to say that I like the stout better.

In a mug it poured a dark as ten nights brew with a thick creamy brown crown. Thin body. Roasted malts, some hints of coffe on the nose. Fairly the same on the palate. Watery and smooth at first sip and then it develops into a nice roasted malts taste without out loosing the smoothness, towards the end. Very good drinkability and aftertaste.

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

Figured I'd finally get around to reviewing Guinness. I've had this beer in more places and in more ways than any other beer I suppose. Nitro tap, nitro can, nitro bottle... in multiple states and in the Caribbean.

The best part of the beer is the appearance. Dark as night with a high frothy cream-colored head with about the best retention of any beer created. Leaves nice lace on the glass. Also looks amazing if you can manage a proper black and tan pour!

Smell isn't much to write home about... biscuitty malts and an indescribable creaminess in the nose.

The taste I rate as average. This is certainly the baseline for the style. And while there certainly are Irish Dry Stouts that are worse, at least as many (likely more) are much better. Dark malty flavors intermixed with that unmistakable nitro-draught flavor.

No carbonation thanks to the nitrogen. Super smooth and creamy, gives the beer a medium bodied mouthfeel. Easily the 2nd best quality of the beer.

Drinkability is tough. You can find this ANYWHERE. Anywhere in the world they'll have this. Any piss-poor macro American bar you visit will still offer Guinness. It goes down quickly and smoothly, low in alcohol. But I only drink this these days as a last resort or if I get a craving for a black and tan. So despite the good factors, if I don't want to drink it is it really that drinkable?

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- when first poured the bottom is black and the rest is a coffee looking color, that is all topped of with a one finger high white head. Then the coffee color fades and the drink looks all black.

S- it is a very weak roasted smell.

T- it has a light taste start and finishes with a roasted taste that is decent.

M- a very creamy mouthfeel that is light in the mouth.

D- very easy to drink

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%

11.2oz bottle into pint glass: from notes
A: A black body, with a hint of red in the light on the bottom of the glass. A white and slight gray head. Good lacing.
S: A malty, caramel nothingness. A very light and standard Irish stout aroma notes.
T/M: A milky, creamy mouthfeel, light on the overall body, for the appearance of this beer. A slightly weak presence of taste on this one.
D: A nice and easy drinking brew, in regards to mouthfeel and overall thickness of the beer.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Poured the distinct Black on bottom cream in the middle with the ripples forming the very thick creamy head that lingers for a very long time. Very Opaque and Black in colour.

S- Very Heavy roasted malts. Hints of caramel and Vanilla. The smell is very reminiscent of dark roasted coffee. Also a hint of yeast scent.

T- Very heavy in the mouth. First smell that comes through is "roasted". The malts are very dark with lots of complexity. Coffee, Espresso, and Cappuccino all come to mind. The flavour of the Vanilla and Caramel are also here, but in very small quantities

D- One of the best Macro brewed beers in my opinion. The flavour is very complex and goes down very smoothly.

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

For my money, Guinness is one of the best looking beers there is. Pitch black, dense head that lasts forever, and the nitro action is neat. There isn't any better.

However, the smell...is weak. I get a bit of roasted character...but that's it.

It's pretty thick in the mouth, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as stouts go. What IS out of the ordinary is how tame the taste is. I suppose that's why many people think this is a "gateway beer" to better beer. The taste is of a very mild roasted malt character...as if they took many other stouts, cut the taste in half, and made this beer. There's an odd metallic taste I seem to always get on the finish with this one...and there's also a mild but certainly perceptible hop bitterness that finishes the beer out.

The verdict is that it isn't the best stout out there but sometimes this just hits the spot. Plus, it just looks awesome.

3.83/5  rDev +9.1%

Ahhh, Guinness. Who doesn't picture a fair-skinned man with a ginger beard getting sloshed and rowdy at a pub every time this famous Irish icon comes to mind? This was my first stout and I made the unorthodox (for this site) move of drinking it straight from the nitro-widget equipped 14.9 oz can.

Crack it open and immediately the can foams over in my hand. I'm thinking a glass would have been a good idea afterall... I can't say much for the appearance other than it obviously was super dark in the can peering into it, and the foam that came up looked fantastic. Airy and creamy looking, it is most definitely best admired from a glass. Also noteworthy, the can design itself looks sleek and appealing too.

Putting my nose down to the can I very faintly smell caramel and other sweet top notes, but it's barely there.

The taste is creamy and I was hit with a wave of slightly bitter, black coffee. It seems like some people don't really get the coffee taste as much as chocolate and malts but as a fan of dark roast coffees, that's all I could taste. At a couple points, I kid you not, I forgot I was even drinking beer when I got the rush of the espresso-like aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is, as I see everyone agrees on, thin and watery. More than you would assume it would be if you didn't know. I really wish it was a hardier texture as I feel that it would better match the flavor.

Drinkability is fantastic. This goes down so easy, I love it. Guinness has something about it that I can't explain but it's just wonderful and sooo smooth. I love Guinness.

2.73/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from nitro-can into a pint glass

A - I think the appearance is what makes this beer unique. There is just something nice about the pour and how it settles.

S - The smell isn't to strong, but you do get a malty whiff along with a faint coffee smell.

T - The taste just really didn't do it for me. You get the coffee along with a very minor chocolate taste. The malt is very noticeable however.

M - Pretty smooth, definitely feels watered down

D - Overall a drinkable beer. The low ABV helps that

For all of the hype I was a bit dissapointed. I would be willing to try it on draft but it just didn't do it for me this time around

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from a nitro can into a stout glass. Pours a beautiful black with a slowly forming rich and creamy head. Smells of caramel and burnt coffee. Upon tasting this stout the caramel and burnt coffee flavors are initially tasted followed by a creamy a slightly hopped flavor. This is a smooth and easy drinking stout and is a great stout for newcomers to a deeper and full flavored beer. I have truly grown accostomed to the unique flavor this stout has to offer and has been a bridgeway to trying and loving numerous other brews as my taste buds developed. Although I've tasted many high quality stouts over time I still really enjoy a Guinness drought from time to time and feel it necessary to pay homage to this fine stout.

2.88/5  rDev -17.9%

Purchased at a Boston Pizza, came to me intensely cold with a frosted glass :-

Pours really nice. One and a half fingers of thick nitro head atop a jet black beer. Notes of burnt grain are on the nose, but I think that the coldness is killing it... After letting it warm up the beer improved, with a bit of a better thicker body and notes of chocolate and roasted barley. Nevertheless it is still quite thin, but the mouthfeel is eveneed out by the creaminess of the nitro head... I ordered this b/c their only other even moderately interesting beers was Sam Adams Lager and Rickards White. I wanted something a little thicker and it did the trick.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

The look of an Irish Dry Stout when served via nitro (assuming the system or widget is working properly) cannot be improved upon. The color is nearly invariably uniformly black, with maybe some ruby trimmings. Guinness Draught nails that, naturally. The cascading effect is fully operational here, tan coffee hued head is thick, creamy, and generously high, and the lacing is top notch - in sheeting the glass and with gorgeous, meringue-like consistency. This is as good as it gets. The rest? Well...

Difficult to give this high marks on smell even though, by style and especially if served nitro, dry stouts lack much aromatic punch. As the darn thing warmed up though, not only do we begin to detect some light roasted notes and perhaps a little hop bitterness - which, by comparison to other beers with roasty, bitter aromas, is greatly attenuated - but some actual flavor becomes apparent as well. NOTE: I'd add that the aroma also has some "watery" notes. This IS possible. Guinness done did it.

The taste, much like the aroma, is, okay, SEVERELY attenuated - in other words, weak. This plays well into Guinness' hands because they have here a very universally palatable drink, meaning, it fits perfectly into the realm of the thin, watery, nearly tasteless beers adored by millions. I found some roasted bitterness, not so much if any hop presence (again, likely due to the nitro), but that's about it. Goes down quick and dead and sucks what little flavor it has with it. Old black water.

In the grand scheme of great beer, this beer is a joke. For what it is, style-wise or what have you, it's okay, but there are better - Murphy's, for one. If I'm simply trying to deliver alcohol to the system, I'd be bonkers to start pounding this. Guinness Draught, to sum up, probably goes best as something to wash down food, nothing more.

3.93/5  rDev +12%

Served into a pint glass from a nitro can.

Appearance: Boy, Guinness does know how to put on a show, a beautiful black dark beer, with that signature tan head, about a finger and a half thick.

Smell: Guinness has a definite malty scent, with hints of coffee, and caramel gently wafting to the nose. The scent is very faint, but if you look for it, its there.

Taste: Coffee, roasted malts, and the taste of hops comes through also at the end. There is also a bit of smokiness to the beer which gives it a very nice edge.

Mouthfeel: Boy is it thick, almost chewy.

Drinkability: They go down very easily for me at least. Once you get that foam to your lip, that beer goes down nice and easy.

Overall: A decent beer.

3.55/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first encounter with Guinness was during a trip to Ireland. I had never been a fan of stouts until I tasted one at the Guinness factory. Sadly, what you get there is not what's in the nitro-can.

Appearance- This is the best part about this beer. The appearance is absolutely beautiful. Pouring into a glass, it is nothing but tan bubbles. After a minute or so the black body becomes apparent as the head surfaces. At one and a half minutes the beer is dark black and the head is perfectly creamy and tan. The staple appearance of a good stout.

Smell- Musty with a bit of sour yeasty smell. Not the most pleasant.

Taste- Mainly very malty with a hint of roasted nuts and hops at the end. Not much taste, very basic.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, not too thick but lets you know it is a stout. Must drink very cold.

Drinkability- Guinness is very easy to drink. In Ireland they call it "magic water" for a reason. It goes down like water but hits like a stout. After the creamy head touches the upper lip and the tongue meets the beer, it flows. My first Guinness is usually half gone in the first drink.

Conclusion- Nitro-can is much better than most commercial beers. However, it does not hold a candle to the Guinness I had in Ireland. It is more bitter without the taste and smell of the original. Still a good mainstream stout though.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Served in a pint glass

It has a beautiful blackness with the cascading creamy foam and looks absolutely fantastic. However, I've never dissected it before so that's the first problem. I literally smell nothing, I keep trying, but honestly, I can't smell anything. It smells like water. The tastes there is slight, and I can't emphasize the slight enough, burnt malt taste with a cream kicker and the legendary sour that's the only thing separating it from just being a thick tasteless liquid to me. It's nice and creamy, but there is a watered down feel even to that. I could pound these all day, and they aren't too high of an ABV so that's something to go off of. It's not like I'll never have it again, but it's never my first choice anymore. If you've never had Guinness you need to have it at least once in your life, maybe around St. Patrick's day or something. Sláinte!

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

A: One finger creamy light brown head. Jet Black. Nice thick lacing.
S: Earthiness, some yeast. A bit off and musty to me.
T: Very light chocolate, coffee and burnt malts. Nothing outstanding. Finishes with a mild bitterness.
M: Wattery and thin, for a stout.
D: This is drinkable @ only 4.2% ABV. But I perfer on draft rather than in a bottle.

2.83/5  rDev -19.4%

A: Motor oil black with the famed, creamy head. I have to say, sipping the head was the best part.

S: Roasted malt. Faint hits of coffee and nuts.

T: Even more roasted malt flavor, almost burnt. As with the scent, notes of coffee and nuts are present.

M: Medium to high mouthfeel. Smooth.

D: It wouldn't be hard to drink a few of these. Obviously not a brew meant to have a good time with, but still.

Overall, I was not particularly impressed.

1.2/5  rDev -65.8%

A lovely poured beer, beer and dark, thick tan head. Simply what a stout should look like.

The problem is there's nothing after this. It's a watered down beer, with some burt malt and coffee/chocolate flavors that are so subtle I may have just imagined them. The mouth feel is far thicker than the beer is, and I'm not sure what the point of this is. You can drink a LOT of this in a night but why on earth would you? It is hard to drink because it doesn't taste good.

This is a light stout and I'm frankly not sure why it's so popular. Sadly beer drinkers think it's a thick heavy dinner beer.

I keep drying this when I'm out expect to discover there's a magical tap that fixes all this beers problems but at the end of the day a beer needs flavor to be good and this beer simply doesn't have any.

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

A- Creamy head sits forever above a dark brown, not quite black body.
S- Smell is pretty tame. The smell is nice, in that it is roasted grain, but it is just so lacking intensity you pretty much have to stick your nose in the beer to get any aroma.
T- The taste is the same way. It's inoffensive with roasted grains and faint bitterness, but it is just so lacking in intensity.
M- Thin, to be sure, with a creamy carbonation level. Just too thin though.
D- This is an easy to drink beer. Not as challenging as Extra Stout or similar. Smooth and sessionable, but just lacking the intesnity of flavor.

3.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Guinness from a can is... well, there's no way to be charitable about it. It's bad. Don't do it. There's far better beers out there to drink out of a bottle, can or other container. So, this is a review about the best way to drink Guinness, and that's on tap.

Guinness is and will always be my go-to beer whenever I'm out. Most restaurants will have it on tap, and most of them have bartenders who know how to pour a perfect pint. I love how it transitions from a churning mass of dark brown bubbles into a solid black mass with a good, hearty head.

Smell wise... eh. Nothing to write home about. Or write on BA about.

Guinness tastes perfectly benign, with nothing standing out or exceptionally prominent. There's a slight tinge of bitterness to it, but this is a mass-produced beer for wide consumption-- so there's not going to be anything too dramatic about it.

Mouthfeel is thick and rich. Almost like a beer milkshake.

I judge all other stouts by Guinness-- which sets the bar rather low, I suppose-- but at least this way, it truly distinguishes what's a good stout and what isn't. You've got to try really hard to make a stout *worse* than Guinness.

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

served from a can poured into a 0.5 L glass mug.
A- starts off dark at the bottom and light brown at the top but quickly the colors merge to form a nice dark color with a lighter brown head, almost beige
S- smells delicious, almost coffee like, similar somewhat to Bailey's irish cream
T- holds that coffee taste with hints of malt
M- not thick at all, too watery
D- Definitively drinkable again, a classic pub drink, you cant go wrong with guiness.

2.35/5  rDev -33%

Impressive looking pour, looks milky thick with tons of bubbles rising. Pitch black color. Big fat beige head, nice lacing. This is about as good as it gets and it's all down hill from here. Funky bitter black licorice smell. The first thing I noticed after the first taste was how watery it was. In fact there is not much else going on here. They should have labeled it black licorice water. A big disappointment.

3.05/5  rDev -13.1%

Ahhh Guinness... always got it at a bar but never from the 'nitro can'. Pours with that amazing cascading look.... looks amazing every time and only see it with this. Pours a very dark 'almost' black. Nice huge fluffy head. Medium to full body, pretty good mouthfeel.. taste is very bland, some malts shining through but very water to me. I actually really enjoy the draft, but the draught seems to be more gimmicy with the bottle and nitro insert.. what matters is the product. Cool to try, but really is way overhyped. Meh.

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

I keep these on hand with Harp Lager for the occasional black and tan thing, especially when it's near St. Pattie's day. I guess I'm just festive like that. One of the first dark beers I ever had, so it holds a special place in my heart for that reason. Since those days, I have found several hundred beers I would pick before this one, but occasionally it's the only thing dark and all flavory on tap at some bars, so that's why I still drink it whilst out and about.

A - Nice and dark, gi-nourmous creamy head that relaxes to a thin layer.

S - Usually not anything more than a simple light coffee smell.

T -Ditto here. Hints of coffee, soft barley taste, pleasantly bitter in a real light way

M - Nothing special. A little dry perhaps, not overly carbonated in feel but it's there.

D - Like I mentioned, it has it's time and place, even though those times and places are fleeting at best. Good beginner beer for someone that wants to work their way up the dark beer ladder, but bad if they like this and expect "better" beers to taste similar.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.