Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -19.4%

#35. A popular brand amongst one of my friends who considers it amongst one of the greatest things he has ever consumed. I'm gonna see where his opinion comes from in this review. Nitro bottle, I suppose it to be consumed from the bottle, which means I'm breaking a few rules with this review. Whatever.

Poured from a 11.2 oz bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a 2 1/2 finger depth foamy tan head. Retention is pretty average. Lacing is nice, clings and drags down the glass as I drink the beer. The surface never cleared, leaving a thick sheet of thin foam. Color is very close to black, but some mahogany tones can be seen at the edges. Not any visible carbonation from what I can tell. Not a bad looking beer. 4

(Smell) Smells of creamy cocoa, caramel and nut tones build up the foundation with the malts here. Some very faint floral hops are underneath it all. Aroma is mildly pungent but pleasing. Smells like a friendly but shallow stout. 3.5

(Taste) First up come some mild nutty cocoa tastes. Surprisingly, they're mild and not as sweet as I expected. The beer smells to have a toasted, almost burnt taste which is simply curious. Taste isn't that great, The flavor could be more concentrated in areas and some things can even be reduced. Besides a largely thin taste (watery tasting is a big issue), this beer tastes very smokey and not much else. A very smoky finish drags on for some time after I finish my sip. The finish is also missing something. This beer is far blander than it should be. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Medium body. Almost no carbonation from what I can tell. The beer is somewhat flat and results in being super smooth and slightly creamy (assisted by the chocolate tones). Again, an issue with the thinness of the taste carries over to the mouthfeel. Watery, thin, weak, flat. Doesn't feel good. 2

(Drinkability) Drinkability is quite average. I don't find myself drinking this very quickly because I'm not really getting into the drink sensation that others may enjoy. The beer is filling for the most part, but the taste and mouthfeel aren't impressive enough to hold my interest and are deterring at times. If one can look past this, a six pack could be easily consumed after relatively little time, but you shouldn't expect to enjoy it much. 3

Verdict: A promising beginning, this beer looks and smells like a winner but takes a sour turn from thereon to create a pretty bland and confusing beer. To those who are into mass produced overpriced dark beers, this may be worth a try. However, beyond the smoky flavor, there was little here to hold my interest. Get in singles or on draft. C (3)

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

Mmmmm Guinness.
I can't say I've travelled much into the realm of stout drinking, the taste has been aquired, and it all started with Guinness.

Drank on Tap cold, splitting a pitcher with a friend. Pours black with a foamy, thick white head, retention was great. Drinks nice, slightly carmel flavored, nice thick taste and mouth feel.

2.65/5  rDev -24.5%

After poured into a glass It's great looking. Extremely dark, white foam. Ideal looking.

Smells alright. Not exceptional.

Tastes like some kind of watered down roasted flavor. Not impressed, wouldnt be so bad if the flavors were stronger and mor noticable.

Not much to feel a bit of flavor here and there.

It's drinkable. Very light in taste. Almost watered down like I said. If you're not a big flavor fan its extremely drinkable. Otherwise it leaves you wanting more.

2.95/5  rDev -16%

Well... haven't had one of these in FOREVER! Decided to take a trip down memory lane and get one last night at the VooDoo Lounge... Kinda wish I hadn't as all my fond memories of this beer were quickly dashed as I realized how boring it is, compared to most of the stuff I drink nowadays.

A: Jet black with some garnet around the edges when held to (candle) light; about the most enjoyable thing about Guinness is watching the bubbles work their way up the glass, creating a nice and tight, light almond head, leaving nothing but an opaque blackness below...

S: Hmmm, not much here... maybe some roasted malts, but faint.

T: Hmmm, not much here... maybe some roasted malts, but faint. (And a touch of bitterness and VERY VERY light acridity on the boring finish)

M: Thin, watery, boring...

D: Maybe I'll throw a few of these back on St. Patty's Day, but that'd be it. Not something I'll try to conjure up thoughts of yesteryear with again anytime soon. Hahaha

This is definitely a beer you have to acquire a taste for. When I first started to drink Guinness it was on tap, and I sipped it A LOT. Now, some 15 years later, it is one of my "go to" beers. It is dark and bold, and if you are use to the typical American beer, GO ELSEWHERE. I gave the drinkability a low number because it is not for everyone, BUT IT IS DEFINITELY for me. It could be a little stronger in the ABV% for me, but other than that, its a stalwart.

1.53/5  rDev -56.4%

A: Pours a very dark brown almost black with a creamy two finger off white head. Settles to a one finger head that lasts the entire time and leaves great thick creamy lacing.

S: Roasted malt is basically all there is. Pretty weak smell.

T: Roasted malt just like the aroma has a bitter finish. Very watery.

M: Very light carbonation with a body that's so light I think I'm drinking water.

D: The appearance is about the only thing that does it for me with this beer. Other then that I just find it very weak in all aspects.

2.95/5  rDev -16%

Thanks to gr8134 for this can. Served in a wine glass.

Pours dark brown with a white head. Fairly dark, but much lighter than the Foreign Export Stout, which we tried this side-by-side with. The head on this one is quite creamy. From there, it goes a bit downhill and this isn't a particularly-memorable beer. There is a bit of mild roast and very, very faint dark chocolate in the nose, but that's about it. The taste is really mild and creamy--roast, light chocolate, and the tiniest touch of malt sweetness. Feel is light and creamy. Just an okay beer. This really seems to be all about texture and not big on flavor.

2.63/5  rDev -25.1%

s. this beer looks beautiful. the dark brown body and amazingly creamy light brown head is so appealing to look at.

s. not much in the way of smell, shallow matliness and slight roastyness... mostly smells like "average beer" with a bit of roasty darkness.

t. average and disappointing considering the look and its worldwide popularity. but for flavor purposes, theres a lot missing. its light, but a nice bitterness comes out of a weak in mouth flavor.

m. much lighter than stouts that we've been blessed to have had here on BA. although im "not impressed" its not bad, just not something i would like to pay for, or drink really...

d. its easy to drink, theres fractured flavors happening, but its nothing like it should be, in my opinion...

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

A_Pours jet black with dark brown around the edges. Thick creamy off white head with great retention. Super thick lacing.

S_Not much going on here. Faint grainy/malty aroma. Not much else.

T_Same as the nose but with a little more presence. Slightly roasted malt and toasted grain.

M_Mouthfeel is a little watery but at the same time very creamy. Probably one of the smoothest beers you'll drink.

D_Ridiculously drinkable. Not the most flavor-able beer but definitely a tasty beverage. Low ABV makes this a great session beer.

Check out the reviews for this by the BROS. They each reviewed it like five times and they're pretty funny.

3.58/5  rDev +2%

The appearance is very dark brown to black. Head is tan and is the last thing to go down. In the smell, caramel is the first thing that comes to mind with a hint of coffee as well. The taste has a coffee flavor with a sweet aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth but unexpectedly thin. It was also a bit more flat feeling then I expected. Overall it's good, but must get use to it feeling less carbonated.

I've had it by bottle, can, and on-tap and of the three, I'd recommend getting this one on-tap. Nitro-cans are better then Nitro-bottles if you want to drink it out of a glass at home.

4.22/5  rDev +20.2%

A: A beautiful dark beer with a gorgeous thick cream colored head. Very nice appearance.

S: It has a very nice aroma.

T: It tastes like a stout with a hint of coffee and a hint of chocolate, and it's great.

M: The beer is slow and smooth to the end.

D: Unfortunately, I can't drink too many of these before I have to call it a night.

A- Dark brown with an off white creamy one finger head that laces nicely to the last drop.

S- Mild roasted malt and nutty aroma

T- Light roasted flavor with a hint of coffee. Very smooth with a slightly dry finish.

M- Light-medium body, kind of flat.

D- Highly drinkable due to its lightness.

Guinness has the look of a high quality stout. This is probably due to the nitrogen. Guinness lacks the complexity of other stouts but is still delicious.

3.38/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Dark, red/brown when put through light, creamy head, great lacing.

S - Lager, bread, stale beer, malts, slight coffee.

T - Tastes ok, slight malts, thin coffee/stout thing going on. Thin, thin. Paper'ish kinda stale.

M - Very LOW carbonation & I don't like that! Needs more carbonation! Feels thin and slightly creamy then stale going down.

D - Drinks kinda weird & rough because of the low carbonation and lack of taste compared to my usual Double/imperial stouts around my area. Not impressed at all, not buying it again... Only reason was it was only $12.99 a 12 pack of bottles.... GF was going towards it & we tried it out.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

A perfect looking pint, settles very well with a perfect white head that lasts though out the drink.

Roasted malts, malts & barely dominate the smell which is really quite pleasant overall.

The taste matches the smell with roasted malts & barley dominating. There is a nice taste of coffee which surfaces near the end of the sip. & the after taste is one of bitter barely that lingers for some time.

Medium bodied & really smooth. Very easy to drink although being slightly thicker would have been nice.

An amazing stout, as simple as that.

(abarwithnoname.wordpress.com for more reviews)

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

Aroma isn't very pronounced on this one, just aroma of dark malts, and an earthy cacao.
This beer is very light and refreshing. A light cacao powder flavor with just a slight roasty maltiness to cap it off.
The consistency and flavor to a lesser extent resemble that of a home made chocolate milk. Super creamy with little carbonation. The lack of hops make this beer a very straight forward simple beer that can be enjoyed over the coarse of an evening.

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

On tap. I haven't had guinness in at least 8 years. It may have been served a bit too cold.

A: What I expected. Black, with the usual guinness cream head.

S: Very light on aromas. A little bit of roast.

T: More roast character. Little bit of bitterness. Not much happening. It might be too cold.

M: Watery, or a lot looser than I remember, and not as full as some of the top notch stouts out there. Light bubbles.

D: Going down pretty well, but there isn't much there to keep me interested.

In my memory, Guinness was a much more enjoyable drink. It might be that I'm comparing this to some of the bigger stouts I've experienced over the years.

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Is very dark. Has a nice creamy, tan colored head

S- Not much going on here. Smells of roasted malts

T- Taste very watered down. Roasted malt and creamy but leaves an almost dry after taste.

M- Creamy but is a bit watery at the same time

D- Goes down very easy. Smooth and a very drinkable beer.

2.53/5  rDev -27.9%

I accept responsibility for the problems because I bought this in a can. In a nutshell, the smell and taste were weak, not only compared to what I am accustomed to and generally love with Guinness, but even compared to what I would expect in a "typical," ho-hum ale. I enjoy a beer that's really _doing_something_, which is what I expect from Guinness, but this was just bland. It's not horrible. It occurs to me this beer would be extremely easy to chug. But therein lies the problem. Why pay Guinness prices for a beer that boredom drives you to down?

2.93/5  rDev -16.5%

A - Pours an intense dark brown black from the nitro-can with much "mixing and settling" activities before it finally settles down to a well-retaining, creamy, finger-thick, tan head with nice lacing (4)

S - Nose is milky, creamy, roasted malts and perhaps with a bit of sweetness; fairly mild for a stout (2.5)

T - Creamy, milky notes upfront with light notes of roasted malts in the middle and very faint notes of coffee which only starts to shows up in the finish. Tastes like a watered down stout with added milk (2.5)

M - Light-bodied mouthfeel which is quite atypical of a stout and watery instead of creamy smooth as per good examples of the style. Low carbonation and still pretty smooth and crisp (3)

D - Very easy drinking and refreshing due to the milkiness and smoothness as per many examples in intro-cans but flavor is admittedly lacking (4)

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Dark black opaque color. Creamy coffee aroma with roasted malt and light chocolate. Extremely dense and frothy dark tan head. Decent lacing on glass. Small caramel notes on back of tongue with roast malt and coffee being the main flavors. Very light mouthfeel for start. I enjoy the nitrogen froth and has a creamy mouthfeel and the drinkability of water, very smooth. Has a dry, charred, raosty flavor to the aftertaste. Nothing in overall flavor very powerful, almost on the bland side. Would like to try the non-taxed version of this at the source and see if the flavors are any bolder. Although the flavors are slightly bland for my preferrence in a stout, but still this icon is still good and easy to drink.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz bottle into Old Rasputin nonic pint.

A: I always love how nitro stouts pour. I got a beautiful three finger head out of this over a pitch black liquid. The dense light tan colored head slowly faded into a thick creamy film that a sticky network of lacing down the glass.
S: Light notes of roasted grains and a hint of burnt chocolate. Aroma is very light.
T: Light flavors follow the nose. Sweeter than I expected, with light notes of caramel, roasted grain husk, and dry bread crust. Finish is quick and easy, and the aftertaste has a touch of residual sweetness.
M: Really watery mouthfeel. There is a fair amount of nitro-soft carbonation, but the finish is really flat and runny.
D: Pretty average run-of-the-mill dry stout. Flavors aren't bad, mouthfeel is though. The sad thing is sometimes this is the best beer available on tap. Drinkable, but not great.

2.63/5  rDev -25.1%

Appearance - Black with ruby highlight when held directly to the light. The head is only the slightest off white. I love the way the head builds in the glass. Nice 2 finger head that hung around forever and left very, very nice lacing. The head is very creamy looking. A lot of carbonation building the head. The black body with the white head is very appealing to me.

Smell - Sweet chocolate. Almost smells like an Oatmeal Stout. Smells creamy with a dark malt and a slight roasted character. Not much roast, but enough to remind you of it. It even smells a bit thin after it warms a bit.

Taste - This has an unusual flavor to me. It's almost like chocolate skim milk. Some smokiness and roastiness is involved with the flavor, but they don't arrive until the sip is gone. It's a bit like milk and water mixed.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is really thin. It is smooth, but it goes down so quick and easy I don't get to savor it. Nothing left on the palate. Watery finish. I was expecting this to be dry. It really didn't feel like beer.

Drinkability - I can see why a lot of people really like this beer. It's very easy drinking. It was almost gone before I even knew what was going on. The look of this beer was outstanding, but that was the best aspect. I bet one could pound several of these no problem. For me however, the taste and mouthfeel do not make this real drinkable. I could drink a few, but I prefer the Extra Stout.

3.38/5  rDev -3.7%

L: Black but transparent, tan head, very tight and satisfying from the nitro, decent lacing 4/5

S: Roasted and sweet, not much there 2.5/5

T: Roasted bitterness, but not much. bitterness and some flavor lingers. Tastes "dry" 3.5/5

M: Silky smooth but too thin, carbed nicely 4/5

O: extremely drinkable 4/5

I may not have rated this high but overall I still really enjoy this beer

edit: updated to reflect ratings change

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured out of a bottle (I know it says to keep it in) into a pint glass

A-Lighter than Guinness Extra stout but still a deep rich brownish red color, with a slim tan head that lasts

S-Muddled roast malt, slight hints of chocolate and coffee

T-Watered down guinness, roast malt, faint faint chocolate

M-Silky and creamy

D-As a huge fan of the extra stout I'm disappointed by the draught, I feel as if I'm drinking Guinness Light, that being said it is still an incredibly drinkable beer that one can put back all night. Assuming you would be into drinking watered down guinness

2.1/5  rDev -40.2%

Appearance -- Pours a dark chestnut brown hue through which light can easily pass. The nitro widget allows for one finger of the creamiest beige head. Visually, it's hard to gripe.

Smell -- Not a whole lot going on: mineral water, mild roast malt, and some hint of dark fruit and chocolate. It doesn't smell bad as much as it smells like nothing. To close one's eyes and breathe in the aroma of a full Guinness is much like breathing in the aroma of an empty glass.

Taste -- The tastes leaves much to the imagination. Quite watery with minimal flavor. Mineral water, char, faint notes of dark chocolate and prune. Meh.

Mouthfeel -- Thin and watery with, with the gentlest of bubbles. This is the only saving grace of this beer and it's completely due to its container.

Drinkability -- I'd like to think better of Guinness, but it's truly the official BMC stout: watery with minimal flavor or aroma. You can tell something good is trying to eek it's way out of this beer, but to no avail. It's only saving grace - and, truly, the only reason I purchased this - is it's container: the nitro-widget.

That said, I'd love to see this nitro widget technology employed on a beer that actually tastes like something. Imagine North Coast's Old Rasputin from a nitro-bottle!

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.