Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Flyer

Wisconsin

2.48/5  rDev -28.9%

I just had my first Guinness in years. I’ve had fond memories of this brand, because it was my introduction to the world beyond watery American lagers many years ago. Maybe my palate has evolved, but I’m pretty sure they’ve changed the product. It still pours beautifully, although I’m convinced the head isn’t quite as thick and creamy -- and it’s an eggshell white, rather than the creamy white I remember. Pleasantly mild roasty notes, but not as dry as I remember, and there isn’t much of a finish at all. Maybe nostalgia is just coloring my memories, but the bottom line is, today I would consider this a decent refreshment beer but not at all one to savor.

05-15-2007 02:50:04 | More by Flyer
Mumps

Maryland

4.72/5  rDev +35.2%

Guinness is one of the best beers I've ever tried. Most of my friends think I"m nuts.

Best if served on tap. Can is second best. Regular Draught bottle is somewhat of a disappointment, not quite having as much of the bold Guinness taste. Still drinkable though.

All told, probably the closest thing to ambrosia in the universe.

05-13-2007 02:07:39 | More by Mumps
pmcadamis

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

A - Black as coal with a creamy nitro head.

S - Sweet, mild, and roasty. It's really hard to describe...I've drunk so much of this beer that I can only say that "it smells like Guiness!" Roasty, toasty, but very mild and a bit milky and sweet.

T - This is creamy and sweet, like cold coffee with lots of cream and sugar. There are also subtle hints of dark chocolate.

M - Creamy and rich but also kind of thin.

D - Extremely drinkable. It's sweet and creamy but also roasty and bitter. Good stuff. I always drink this when I'm out at restaurants, shitty bars, ect. because I usually can't get anything good but this or SA lager, and when it comes down to it I'll usually get a Guinny.

05-12-2007 05:43:14 | More by pmcadamis
skillerified

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Almost completely black, just a few ruby hues poking through at the edges. Tall, creamy cap on top that's completely driven by the nitro. Still one of the most pretty brews out there.

Lighter scents of coffee and chocolate with a milky and creamy texture underneath. Some slightly burnt malt floats on top. Nothing too exotic. Really pretty light.

Coffee, dark chocolate and some cocoa powder are the predominate flavors. Slightly burnt. Mostly sweet. Just a little bitter bite on the finish. Light to medium bodied with a smooth and easy drinking finish.

A bit over-rated, definitely better on-tap, but still a classic brew. Overall, a pretty reasonably tasty brew and a real gateway to the true craft brew market for many.

05-04-2007 05:01:50 | More by skillerified
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +28.1%

You see, the darkest of available beers... and always available, i mean. The problem is it's so temperamental. 3 1/2 plus 3 1/2 plus 62. And if you don't know what that means, you're not a Guinness lover. What young people don't understand is that just because it's dark doesn't mean it's bitter and harsh. For an Irish dry stout, it's the definition. It deserves much more than many a douchebag gives it. Sigh. The appreciation for what this beer has given the world is simply not up to par.

A small child was walking along the road, looking for her mother, late one dark night in london. She found a pub, and, recalling her mother to drink the beer with the big 1759 on the label, she went in, wondering if perhaps her mother could be soliciting some business to bring back to the flat. Instead, she met the bartender, jake. Jake told her that her mother, the attractive brunette of about 115 lbs and a chopped haircut, had retired upstairs with a man that was wearing a rolex. katherine, for that was the little girl's name, thought a rolex was a type of filing system for papers and phone numbers. She wondered why her mommy would spend her whole retirement with an accountant. But jake, for that was the bartender's name, offered a new drink for her to taste. When she saw it, she was afraid. But England doesn't protect children from the amazing wiles of the dark. Katherine took a gulp. It tasted like whipped cream on top of the blackest soot-tea in the world. she took another. and another. soon she was joyful and frolicking, looking for her mommy or her uncle joe to take her home before she ate too much brie. Instead, her mommy came downstairs and introduced her to her new daddy, John D. Rockefeller. She went to live in the mansion of the wealthiest man alive, and grew up and married a respectable young man that loved her with all his heart.

05-03-2007 05:39:04 | More by khiasmus
RBorsato

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Nice downward bubbles on pour ... dark brown to black with a slight ruby edge, a tan creamy nitro head, and lace like wallpaper. Roasty dry aroma and flavor; certainly a standard for the style but other dry stouts seem more robust; light coffee character. Light bodied and airy with an intense dry roasty finish.

Prefer the bottled version (Extra Stout, I believe) over the draft, nitro can, and nitro bottle; the bottled (non-nitro) version seems more robust and a bit creamier.

Per bottle: 125 cal, 9.9g Carb, .3g Prot, 0 Fat

Tasted: 04/07/07

(11.2 oz nitro-bottle)

05-02-2007 22:13:26 | More by RBorsato
RunawayJim

Rhode Island

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Guinness... the classic fall back, or at least it used to be. Drinking this from the bottle as instructed, I did not see anything. The bottle is dark and completely covered by a label, preventing me from seeing the liquid inside. I can only imagine that this beer is dark with a creamy tan head. Also, being from the bottle, there's very little scent that comes through, but what makes it out is very slightly nutty/coffee/roasted.

Taste, something I can easily measure on this one, was similar to the scent. It was weak, but there were some roasted bitter nutty coffee flavors in there. I also noticed a slight metallic taste to it. I'm not sure where that came from but it's there.

It felt very watered down. This is not the Guinness I remember. I remember it being heavier, but this feels very thin and watery, although thicker than a light beer.

Though everything was pretty average, Guinness is still a very drinkable beer, and still a decent fall back.

05-02-2007 00:20:59 | More by RunawayJim
Beaver13

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -38.4%

14.9 oz nitro can. For all its deficiencies, nitro does pour a pretty beer. Pours a black with ruby highlights with a thick and creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass. It's fun watching the nitro bubbles cascade to the top.

The aroma is metallic nitrogen and a little sweet grainy chocolate and leathery coffee.

The flavor is pretty bland - watery, earthy grains, a little coffee with a slightly bitter roasted charcoal finish. The mouthfeel is fairly light and very watery.

Overall, this is not as good as I remember Guinness being. Maybe it's because I'm looking at it more critically. It's just slightly better than BMC beers.

04-28-2007 00:48:53 | More by Beaver13
MrMcGibblets

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

really, i just don't get it. i don't get why this beer commands so much respect. i don't get why the everyman who has no idea what beer is gets me to come to some fucking shithole bar by telling me they have good beer (they saw the ubiquitous guinness tap). ok, it's dark and scary to bmc drinkers. so what? dark beers aren't my favorite anyways. the head is nice off the nitro can, though. guinness really does a good head. but so did some sluts when i was a youngin' and i saw no reason to stay with them more than once or twice. but somehow, i keep revisiting this beer, hoping for something more. must be all the ads. some roasted grain/malt aromas but not anything specific to discern. starts dry, finishes dry. short finish. some light malt flavors, that's it. no hop character to speak of. super light in body/abv. gassy, creamy mouthfeel. i'll just keep telling myself i won't do this again.

04-24-2007 05:00:50 | More by MrMcGibblets
Redwood21

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Got this on tap in a guinness style glass and everything. i have had this beer in the bottle before and didnt realize the popularity of the beer, and had heard that you really need to try it on tap....thats certainly true.

The dark color with a extremely creamy head is just amazing. the head lasts so long that when the beer is done there is still a good amount of head!!!!

Not a whole lot od aroma but there is some roasted coffee. very nice

taste is very good creamy, a faint coffee and roasted malty flavors, smooth is the main ke though. this beer is not one of those havey stouts or big stouts or robust stouts. ppl who need a wallop type drink may not like this. im reviewing it highly because the overall package is so good. the mouthfeel is a little lighter and a little more watery than i would like, but the beer is so creamy its worth it. This is a very drinkable beer. I had this right after i had a harp lager, and this beer was far more enjoyable. Once agin this is not one of those wowser stouts, its just a really good one, that would appeal to those ppl who dont like or arent in the mood for a "big" beer

04-20-2007 08:22:03 | More by Redwood21
icefisherman

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

this is a rereveiw from a while back when i thought beer was only miller lite looks very dark but every one should know that hell stevie wonder knows what this stuff looks like taste is a litle on the week side but still has a little complexity mouthfeel is exelent chalk one up to the nitro system drinkability is well...lets just say one could easily drink this all night

04-18-2007 16:16:06 | More by icefisherman
palliko

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

I have an ambivalent reaction to Guinness Draught – Guiness is different, they do provide a great alternative to yellow fizzy beer, but the beer itself is bland. This can be a plus for some people, but for me it tastes like roasted, liquid oatmeal. Aroma: boring, not much there. Initial taste is of sour, roasted grains. Mouth feel is creamy and soft, and bitter. The middle is low in surprises, followed by a tangy, hoppy finish. If you are having authentic Irish food, it is a great complement, but as a session beer, I prefer other brews.

04-17-2007 21:54:24 | More by palliko
Quej

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Pours pitch black and thick, with great amounts of thick creamy coloured head. I have to admit for a macro brewed beer, they sure make it look great!

S - Smells sweet mostly, with hints of caramel and toffee. The bitterness ofhops is apparent as well as some roasted maltiness.

T - It first strike you as some bitter black fluid you probably shouldn't be drinking, but then dark roasted coffee beans and cocoa come flooding onto your palate. Heavy roasted, burnt malts compliment the taste of unsweetened chocolate and bitter, leafy hops. The beer is so thick it almost seems to stay in your mouth after you swallow, letting you taste the dark malts all over again. As it warms up, the beer begins to slide toward the bitter end, but slight cereal tastes of oats, and perhaps wheat, emerge.

M - Incredibly thick, drying and rough. Almost like old motor oil with crushed up leaves in it. The thickness makes for a long lasting aftertaste, which if you like this beer can be a good thing.

D - This beer is not so drinkble due to its incredible thickness, yet somehow I find myself able to go through several cans in a good night.

04-17-2007 21:15:45 | More by Quej
SaltyLime

Colorado

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

Years ago, this was my first of the dark beers and I resisted at first.

Appearance - I agree with many of the other raters...definitely one of the most gorgeous beers I have ever seen. It comes out perfect every time.

Smell - Not a very strong smell, light coffee and dark chocolate is the first thing I sensed.

Taste - Just like it smells. Regrettably, it does have a little watery taste, but with so many other mouth watering flavors it was easy to overlook.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy. Seemed to be a little thicker after it warmed up a little bit.

Drinkability - It goes down easy. Foamy head stays to the end

After a little open mindedness and beer maturity, it has become one of my regulars.

Rating based on overall comparison between tap, bottle and can..
Appearance from tap has a creamier head and the body was thicker than what comes from the nitro-bottle or nitro-can. Also had this beer on tap while passing through Ireland and Spain.

04-16-2007 17:49:27 | More by SaltyLime
vtfan77

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Almost black, some brown around the edges of the glass. It retains a creamy tan head of about a half an inch for the entire time I'm drinking it. Oh, and of course there's the whole falling bubbles thing going on too.

S- Not much here. At first I thought that it was because the beer was served too cold, but it didn't really improve as it warmed. A little roasted malt and that's it.

T- Roasted malt and coffee along with some molasses and cocoa. A bitter burnt flavor lingers on the finish.

M- Nice and creamy but a little thin.

D- Definitely a strength. Incredibly smooth and low in alcohol. Great session beer.

I really appreciate Guinness for what it is. I don't usually order it, but it's always there for when I want it. A nice Irish Stout that I'm sure many craft beer lovers cut their teeth on. It's not the best stout in the world, but it serves its purpose well. Recommended.

04-15-2007 05:24:07 | More by vtfan77
stevehagy

3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

The perfect pour of Guinness is a piece of art. At first all you see is black with almost no head but then you start seeing the downward flowing bubbles and mysterious swirls of tan and amber as the head slowly forms into a tan masterpiece. Although it looks black it is light and non filling. Truly a great classic.

04-12-2007 21:00:17 | More by stevehagy
tapman

2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

Why, nitro, why?!

Ok, this is an easy one. It looks good. The bottle sucks, but the can (featured in this review) is far superior. A dark ruby color when poured is preceded by a cascade of carbonation signature to the Guinness line. Head is off-white, but not tan like you would hope.

My first 1 ever. I can't smell anything. The nitro's metalic tinge masks all other smells. When I put my nose to the empty can I get some chocolate malts, but I'm not reviewing the can here. God I hate nitros.

Tastes like a Guiness which in a pub would garner a 4 for taste, but much more watered-down than from the tap. I don't dig the nitro-widget and it appears to be more of a gimmick than an actual colaborator with the beer.

Once again this suffers due to wateryness. Better than a Macro lager, but short of the standards that Guinness reminds us of everyday on T.V., bus sides, bill boards, etc.

Guinness will always have a special place in my heart. It was the first beer that lured me away from being an ignorant Miller Lite drinker and introduced me to a world of flavor, but my intake is now limited to tap-only and I won't pay more than $4 for one now that I am of the enlightened ranks.

04-12-2007 16:17:33 | More by tapman
Crystufer

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

A - This beer is simply gorgeous to behold. The red that becomes black, the downward flowing bubbles, and the lovely head all come together to create a lovely appearance for this beer.
S - Smells bitter and mineraly. Not initially inviting, but after the first one, it lets you know the delicious guiness is coming.
T - Also a bit bitter and mineraly. Took a few to get used to, (Not all tonight. I'm sober I swear.) but now the hoppy flavor and refreshing aftertaste are good friends of mine.
M - I absolutely love the way this feels swishing around in my mouth. It tastes thick and syrupy, but still swishes like a liquid. Also doesn't have any of the watery feel you'd expect from (insert beer here)-light. Very satisfying sliding down your throat.
D - I enjoy this beer quite a bit, and can drink 5 or 6 in a row if it's all that's around, but it's quite filling and thick tasting. I need to switch after a few if I have the option. But it leads into and back out of a nice whit nicely.

04-12-2007 06:44:00 | More by Crystufer
JoeyBeerBelly

I aquired Guinness Draught as part of a pint/nitro can - European Sampler Mix Pack

Overall a good example of the stlye, I gave it all 4's for this reason.

A - nice color, nice head

S - roasted malt, semi-sweet chocolate

T - see above

M - just right, sweet aftertaste

D - It's a good drinking Irish Dry Stout on St. Patty's Day or any other day of the year

04-12-2007 00:42:18 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
canadianbarman

Alberta (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

--Came in standard widget 440 ml can. I bought it in a promo pack with Kilkenny and Harp mixed in the box.
--Poured the standard thick white head with great lacing. Color is good and dark.
--smell a bit les than average.

What can you say about Guinness that hasn't been said already. I prefer the authentic pub variety but this will do in a pinch. Thx.

04-08-2007 04:45:11 | More by canadianbarman
vanrassel

Alberta (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

That little widget in the can sure does the trick: a majestic light tan head formed in my pint glass atop a layer of mesmerizing, cascading bubbles and a dark brown body. The head eventually settled into a creamy, one-finger cap that left attractive rings on the sides of my glass.

I ignored the idiotic instruction to "serve extra cold" and let the beer sit for awhile before continuing. Even when it warmed, it was hard to pick out much of an aroma, other than a muted whiff of roasted barley.

Roasted barley is the main feature of the taste, though I've always detected a faint nuttiness and a hint of black licorice in Guinness Draught. The creamy mouthfeel and dry finish are bang on, but the body is a tad thin.

Despite the quibbles — and the existence of much better stouts — this is a good, crowd-pleasing standby. I still enjoy it with scrambled eggs, sausage and HP Sauce while watching Premiership football on Saturday mornings.

04-05-2007 16:47:55 | More by vanrassel
Applesauce1

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Greg the Egg left 4 of these from a 12 pack at my place after KKDB's spring break visit. Anyhow, I've had this many, many times before, but this is my first review.

Appearance: I love the look of Guinness Draught as the bubbles appear to fall down and it becomes black then...so cool looking. It also maintains a nice head throughout the drink.
Smell: coffee, roasted barley
Taste: coffee, roasted barley again, maybe some chocolate too
Mouthfeel: weird carbonation; real small bubbles throughout
Drinkability: light bodied, you can have many in one night

04-05-2007 06:09:19 | More by Applesauce1
repeal06

4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

Ahh, Guinness. My introduction to "dark beer", back in my college days. Not much I can say that hasn't already been said. This is one of, if not THE, prettiest beer there is. Poured from a nitro-can, the cascading effect is hypnotizing, resulting in a head that just doesn't quit. The lacing on the edge of the glass after each sip is equally impressive. Tastes...like a Guinness. Not as fantastic as I remember that first sip being, but still pretty good. Mouthfeel is a bit disappointing - more watery than I remember. But, that makes it easy to drink. People who say Guinness is "too heavy" need to have their heads examined. The relatively light mouthfeel and average ABV make this a very drinkable beer - I try to keep a few in my fridge at all times.

04-01-2007 21:51:06 | More by repeal06
Gaben

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Guinness the king of half and half... I love this brew by its-self but mixing guinness draught is what I love to do with this stout.

Appearance is key , fills up nice and pretty whenever poured, very creamy foamy head at first, and black as night.

The smell is very meaty, kinda like beef steak with pure water.

Taste is nice as well , I always like mean stouts , but for a home beer , this is a great way to get the draught affect. Very smooth and creamy kinda like a root beer float without the root-beer taste.

Mouthfeel is pretty goot as well , goes down easy and has no nasty after taste.

Drinkabilitity is amazing , since this is a dry stout and is kinda like water , very easy to drink all day and go for that stout buzz. Amazing beer with or with another beer... Harp.Bass.Smithwicks.Cidar.Whiskey...
Yes goot ole risky whiskey! gotta try the combo!

03-31-2007 01:00:15 | More by Gaben
beveritt

2.63/5  rDev -24.6%

Presentation: Arrived in a logoed glass.

Appearance: Has the typical, thick nitro head. About 3/4 inch of light tan that sticks around for the whole beer. The beer itslef is disappointingly light. Dark reddish/brown and clear, not nearly as opaque as I expect from a stout.

Smell: Very little going on here, some roasted barley.

Taste: Some roasted barley bitterness and the slightest hint of dark chocolate. Overall, very bland and watery.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation level. Body is thin and watery.

Drinkability: Many times, this is the only non light beer available in bars, so I find myself with this in my hand a decent amount. For me, it is better than Bud Light, if that's a compliment?

03-30-2007 12:04:43 | More by beveritt
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.