Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Byeast

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a nitro widget can , very impressive cascading effect is pleasing to the eye. Once the cascading has stopped and the head settled , it remains as a super thick and creamy , off-white and inpenatrable layer. Much lace was left on my pint. The color of the beer is a deep black , mostly opaque , with some ruby edges near the bottom of the glass. Roasty and creamy aromas , malt . Taste is also slightly roasty malt , very creamy mouthfeel which provides most of the character and begs for deeper sips. Slight bitterness and almost no hop flavor. Leaves a slightly bitter and dry aftertaste. A very drinkable stout , not nealy as flavorful as many other stouts though. With the creaminess and abv , its easy to put quite a few pints away in a night.

04-13-2006 03:42:12 | More by Byeast
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

about time i give Guinness a review...

A - pours that great classic guinness black, with a foamy 1/2 finger thick head that is thick and creamy and spreads carbonation down the glass and rebounds back to the top

S - man, guinness aromas evoke so many pub scene memories as im sure they do in all of us, that rich smoky, nutty, hoppy, slightly woody aroma

T - the taste always surprises me, i always expect it to be thicker, its a deceptive brew. it has a bitter hop taste at first, then it gets creamy and smoky, with a nutty flavor, with a faint fruity flavor in the very back, man i love guinness

M - smooth, so smooth, well balanced and well bodied, a great gateway beer for newbs too

D - high, due to its smoothness and lower ABV, you can go through 5-7 of these before you know it

04-12-2006 16:54:05 | More by sinstaineddemon
hanco005

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

On tap at Patrick McGovern's Pub and Restaurant in downtown St. Paul prior to a Wild game.

The characterisitics are very similar to my review of this in the nitro-can, but it is a whole lot smoother and creamier. The smell isn't as strong, but still is an excellent stout on tap.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-12-2006 14:48:36 | More by hanco005
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Interesting timing, I had just cracked this leftover from St. Patty's and sat down when I see a nice article about Guinness. Very nice.

Appearance: The nitro can opens with a good pop, the beer is poured into a standard US pint glass. The beer is very dark, black, and must be poured very slowly. A frothy, tan head forms in the classical "Guinness Way". Head lasts until the final sip. Sheets of lace. A neer perfect looking beer IMO, especially from a can, close to a tap draw. Much beeter than the bottle draught.

Smell: Mostly a roasted malt, touch bitter. Aroma of roasted coffee and chocolate, yet the scent is somwhat faint.

Taste: A classic Guinness. Slight roasted malts. A little sweeter than I expected (although I would not call this a sweet beer by a longshot). A touch bitter on the finish brings this in balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body, smooth, creamy, a little rich.

Drinkability: I think I have said this in a different Guinness review, this is probably one of the easiest beers to drink in the world, yet so many people are put off and intimidated by the appearance. While I enjoy this better on tap, I do like the can better than the bottle. An excellent beer, well worth a try or two, or three or...
Update: 3-17-08 Part of a St. Pat's Irish Stout-a-thon. This beer is the most commercial of the ones I had side by side, and it was the lesser of the four beers IMO.

04-12-2006 04:40:50 | More by BigRedN
cproioi

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: one of my favorite things about a Guinness Draught is the way it looks after the two part pour. With the surging inside the glass and it seperating to make the creamy white head contrasted by the dark amber color. Leaves very thick and uniform lacing.

S: Smells like coffee with the sweet roasted malt giving off an aroma that reminds me of chocolate.

T: While the taste of the Draught is good I would prefer it to be a little more intense like their extra stout however, I do not want to take away that still this is a damn fine beer.

M: Probably one of the lighter Stouts out there.

D: I find it very easy two drink a couple of these in one sitting. When it comes to Guinness I work by the Irish quote when someone is deciding if they should have another pint or not. "A Man can't walk with only one leg."

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-12-2006 02:57:57 | More by cproioi
cro250klr

2.4/5  rDev -31%

My first Guinness was actually on draft, and I was really ready for a beer. Bad choice at the time, that Guiness. I had to wait for the head to settle and I though it was really bitter. Time passed and I got away from the BMC thing. I felt that my tastebuds had matured so I tried another Guinness, this tme in a bottle. Kind of chocolaty, coffee like and soft on the palate. After a little research, I now understood the workings of the 'widget', what makes the head, and why it's so thick. Armed with all of that intelligence I still wasn't that impressed, especially with the taste. Something is missing. The taste is kind of bland. Maybe it's the soft mouthfeel of the nitrogen as opposed to the crispness of CO2. I'm thinking the shortcoming is more on the line of ingredients. I've had some killer Russian stouts. Hercules out of Belgium is outstanding. Bell's, from Kalamazoo, Mi., offers a great selection of stouts that blows this one away. Mix Guinness with a Bass ale to make a black and tan, or a Harp for a half and half, and that's a different story. That seems to liven it up a bit. That's really to only way that I drink this anymore. Otherwise, for the money, I would pass on a straight up Guinness if other stouts were available.

04-10-2006 02:18:08 | More by cro250klr
akahn

2.65/5  rDev -23.9%

Bottle is (idiotically) marked "drink straight from the bottle" and "serve extra cold." Lucky me, this bottle has the new rocket widget! This is 11.2 ounces of pasteurized stout.

Pours into my tumbler nearly black with a creamy cappuccino color head. It does the cascade thing for a little while which looks nice. The head lasts a long time and leaves some lace.

Aroma is quite nice: coffee and roasted malts. Very soft and creamy smell.

Taste is shockingly bland. This honestly tastes like slightly flavored water. Thin malt flavor, slightly roasted, slightly sweet, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. I gave this beer plenty of time to warm up in hopes that some more flavor would come out, but it was in vain.

Mouthfeel is nicely smooth and creamy, but disappointingly thin. I mean really thin.

I guess I could drink several of these, but why would I want to?

I haven't had one of these is several years. I'm glad I didn't pay for this. Boy are people ridiculous when they say how "meal-like," heavy and filling this beer is. I am quite convinced that people buy this due to how it is marketed, not due to how it tastes.

04-08-2006 21:23:56 | More by akahn
SkeeterHawk

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: Pours a thick looking opaque black with rolling tan foam that cascades about the top of the beer slowly forming into a thick tan creamy head. There is some pretty thick lacing left on the glass after the beer settles a bit.

Aroma: It smells really dry with some defined roast and a slight metallic hint to it. There is a sweet caramel presence there to go with a dry biscuit like base.

Taste: The flavor is much milder than the aroma suggested. It has an almost watery edge that contradicts the dark complexion. The malt is in charge the entire time, and I don't get any hops specifically. There is a bit of a floral flavor to this beer, but I think that is an illusion from the malt complexity. The finish is a bit dry from the roast and it has an acidic note that makes it seem even more dry. There is no alcohol noticeable.

Opinion: Well, I just keep trying this beer, as I want to see what difference it makes between the different packaging techniques. I don't think that it makes much difference. This is a pretty good session beer, and I can't hardly imagine being able to drink enough to get drunk on these. I'll stick with their export.

04-08-2006 01:41:43 | More by SkeeterHawk
brewapprentice

Italy

4.35/5  rDev +25%

To many this a highly over-rated beer, yet I love it. I guess it could be much better taken from a tap nevertheless this is all we have so here it goes straight from the bottle.
A very dark colour, very thick body, one can almost chew this beer. Has a great head that remains thick on top of the beer till u finish it by scooping every last drop of foam from the bottom of the glass. Even though light in alcohol one tends to want to have one after another due to the great taste that resembles coffee, a faint touch of caramel and a predominant taste of roasted barely, this is a very bitter beer.
I tried to brew my own guiness and though I did obtain a decent flavour I could not imitate the perfect head this beer posess. All those that believe that guiness is over-rated will disagree but I think this a very good beer.

04-03-2006 22:46:30 | More by brewapprentice
bignick

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a Harpoon Imperial pint glass.

This is a somewhat close approximation of Guinnes on tap, but it doesn't quite measure up. It is pretty in the glass, although the bubbles and head recede more quickly than on tap. The major difference is the thin moutfeel. It isn't as creamy and delcicious as it is on tap. Everything else--the roasty coffee taste and good drinkability--is about the same.

04-03-2006 15:55:37 | More by bignick
jongillin

Colorado

A good old stand by for all stout drinkers.
Most recently had this in a nitro bottle. I find this to possibly be the best serving of this beer, if tap is of course not available.
Appearance: nice and chocolaty black. With a nice lacy head that trails the inside of the glass down to the last drop.
Smell: Very malty with a hint of coffee flavor. May not be too forward out of the bottle so let it breath a little bit.
Taste: robust and full bodied taste. Again malty and some roasted coffee.
Mouthfeel: I feel like the bottle is always a little more watery than I would care for. It is lighter and not quite as creamy. Yet still has a comfortable body and still enjoyable. All in all I still think it really a decent beer even out of the bottle.

04-02-2006 00:26:36 | More by jongillin
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev 0%

OK. The bottle label says drink from the bottle. So for review purposes I have poured a small amount into a glass for appearance. I drank the rest from the bottle per the brewerys instruction.
A dark brown black beer. Has a creamy (nitro type) dark beige head with a good lace. A lot of chocolate at first (milk chocolate) in the aroma followed by some hints of toffee and a coffee bitterness in the background. The first sip give a chocolate note. The second leaves more dark roasted malt bitterness (with a hint of burnt toast on the back of the tongue). The mouthfeel seemed a bit watery to me.

03-27-2006 23:40:10 | More by ybnorml
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

My second Guinness Draught review. This time the bottled version, with the widget. I've always found bottled Guinness to be a little sweeter than both the nitro can and draft version. Less dry, I guess.

Pours typical Guinness motor-oil black, with a 1/2 inch off-white head that looks like a solid object. Doesn't fade until you start drinking, and even then it sticks around for most of the glass.

Smell is dry and bready, but with, as I said, a sweeter, slightly chocolately aroma that doesn't show up when you have it on draft at a bar. Reminds me a bit more of the bottled Extra Stout (which I'll have to review sometime soon -- only one bottle left).

Taste is dry and bready. Bottled Guinness Draught is a bit more watery than other versions, which lowers the mouthfeel score for me. Still tastes great though, and the combination of taste and low ABV mean I could drink it all day. Well, maybe not ALL day.

This is the only beer so far that I've reviewed twice, simply because there are so many ways to get a Guinness around here. Can't say that for most beers in Canada.

03-26-2006 20:52:20 | More by crwills
JerzDevl2000

2.45/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Alrighty, it's Saint Patrick's Day and what better way to celebrate than with a Guinness...since I'd like one from home, I figured the new bottles they have would be a good substitute from the taps I usually get this from. It has a widget, and the plethora of advertising make it seem like they got this down well. Sadly, that's just not the case.

The head was the only thing remotely close to the tap pour. This was watered down, it didn't cascade in my pint glass, and the lacing was missing as well. Foamed up a bit as I swished it, but the essense, the thickness and mouthfeel that I love from this beer just wasn't there. The roasting, chocolate, and deepness that I love about this was replaced with a cheap espresso flavor, that just didn't get any better over time. I really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't there...

It's pretty odd when the head is the best part of a brew, by quite a ways. This never got off the ground, even when I tried pouring it at different temperatures. Between the "served chilled" suggestion (I always thought Guinness should be served around 50-55 degress fahrenheit and the edges of the beer being a deep reddish instead of a uniform black, I think they dropped the ball on this. Is it true that not all Guinness is brewed at Saint James Gate, but also in Canada? My next serving of this will be on tap - brilliant!

03-20-2006 09:11:34 | More by JerzDevl2000
alexskovan

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

Looks nice. Smells nice. Tastes. . . watery.

I think Guinness really wants this stuff to have mass-market appeal, so I guess they figure watery is the way to go.

It has all the flavors I associate with a stout -- but it just tastes watered down -- "light". Light is the last thing I want, when I want stout

Stick with the Extra Stout.

03-19-2006 23:37:40 | More by alexskovan
ggaughan

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Served from a nitro can into a Guinness pint glass that I purchased at the Guinness brewery a few years. What a nice St. Patrick's Day treat. The beer pours a nice black color with active bubbling activity from the nitro in the can. Interesting to watch as it settles. After the beer settles with a nice thick tan head, the aroma I get is of some nice toasted malts with a bit of sweetness. The taste is a nice lingering tongue of sweet toasted malts that is very drinkable, despite the slightly heavy body.

03-19-2006 15:34:25 | More by ggaughan
MrHolland

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this on tap at a local resturant, it was pourd and brought to me and the head was still forming which is all ways fun to watch.

Smell is roasted malt and that is about it for that.

The taste is so much better then out of the nitro bottles and cans. Has a very roasted malt flavor with a bitter hops taste to follow.

Moithfeel is thick and smooth and it goes down great.

I could drink these all night on tap but for some reason I refuse to buy at the store in bottles and cans.

03-19-2006 07:49:27 | More by MrHolland
PenguinBeerFan

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

I always find myself ordering this beer at the bar. For a good session, I can't think of anything better. Pours blacker than a Saharan night during an eclipse. Nitro bubbles rise and fall in a hypnotizing dance that invites a sip. Head is a thick, dense, and tan. Smells like toasty malt, hops are nowhere in the nose. Once in the mouth it loses some of its luster. It has that toasty, dry malt I love, but it is just plain watery compared to other offerings. Drinkability? I can drink Guinness until I blackout. Low ABV and the watered down taste makes it slip down as easy as taking a breath. I consider this the finest "macro" brew, and turn to it whenever the goal is tying one on.

03-19-2006 05:13:29 | More by PenguinBeerFan
Metalmonk

1.98/5  rDev -43.1%

Poured a few inches into a glass from nitro-bottle to check appearance. Shiny dark-brown with a tan head that faded quickly. Thick walls of lace after a few sips.

Like the aroma a lot: roasted malt up front, with a whiskey-like, oak-barrel thing coming next, also a vibe of rum-soaked raisins.

Drank from the bottle, as instructed on the bottle itself. A flat wateriness intrudes first and foremost. Smoke and burnt malt show through most, which turns me off. It's not a flavor I can give high marks to, and with the absolutely awful flatness, I found this completely unenjoyable. I had a Guinness on tap once in Dublin and felt the same way, so I don't think it's this nitro-bottle thing. It's just not for me.

[note: drank a second bottle "extra cold", which is suggested on the bottle, and it helped the drinkability slightly. Still tasted awful.]

03-18-2006 23:04:08 | More by Metalmonk
Terp96

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

What would St. Patrick's Day be with out some Guinness?

First time I have bought the nitro cans in a while so this is my first review.

The appearance is not as good as I'd hoped and certainly not as good as the tap version. The canned version doesn't appear as dark and thick as the tap pour. In fact, it is easier to see the deep reddish color than the opague black that you usually associate with this beer.

Smell is typically malty and British. Nice roasted aroma but also hints of metal.

Taste is exceptional. Roasted, dry malt flavors. Very smooth

Mouthfeel is where this beer excels. The mouthfeel is of thick stout but the beer is in fact very light. A weird balance to say the least. The nitro pour also adds quite a bit of body.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could go all night with this beer and have on occasion. Not heavy or overly alcoholic but very smooth and tasty.

03-18-2006 19:11:04 | More by Terp96
KFaulkner

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Top-a-the-mornin to ya!

Happy St. Patricks day, and to celebrate the occassion a Guinness draft was in order... on-tap of course. The draft came in one of those Guinness glasses that I think they had specifically for the beer since most people were drinking their green-dyed Bud Light drafts out of regular barware. Regardless, it was dark, smooth, creamy (well, not really creamy, but you know what I mean) and the head was that of a stout; thick and, well, thick.

People joke about drinking Guinness with a spoon, but I find it to be a very smooth beer. It's easy to drink, thanks mostly to its low alcohol content and goes down smooth, if not slightly bitter. It's certainly not the best stout on the market, but it's definitely the most famous. Considering it was St. Patrick's Day, I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

So, if on no other occassion, celebrating the day of the Irish is a great to sample an authentic Irish stout you can get just about anywhere; because we all know, Killian's Irish Red is not from Ireland. Slainte!

03-18-2006 03:39:37 | More by KFaulkner
plaztikjezuz

3.55/5  rDev +2%

bought a bottle at world market in lansing, michigan.
pours a deep mohagony almost black, with a pillowy beige head; left some lace down the side of the glass.
the aroma is roasty, yeasty, and something i can not place my finger on.
the flavor is roasty, bit of hop spice, hint of coffee, twinkly of plum.
the mouthfeel is a bit light, watery, i know a dry stout is not a heavy beer but i feel (and from what i had from ireland) this canadian contract brew seems a little light.
beer is very drinkable but i know it can be better, i have had guiness from ireland and this just does not match up imo.

03-18-2006 03:13:23 | More by plaztikjezuz
JayQue

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a draft Guinness on St. Patrick's Day. Nice creamy head that stayed for the whole drink. Good lacing on the glass. Nice dark (black) color. Some roasted malt smell. Taste was ok, malt taste...goes down smooth . Mouthfeel is a little thin, was expecting more richness. No bitterness or weird aftertaste. This is not an exceptional beer, but it is smooth and easy to drink. This is a good session beer.

03-18-2006 02:51:55 | More by JayQue
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.48/5  rDev 0%

This beer goes down as one of the controversials. It was better in the past, it's better now, it's watered down, it's a classic, it goes on and on. Quite simply, this is my fall-back draft beer. It's available almost everywhere and with rare exceptions it's patronized enough to be consistent in quality. Forget the bashers and various odd comments. Enjoy it if you like. Here's my short review:

Classic black color with that fun to watch carbonation cascade and the nitro head that lasts the whole drink. Taste is not going to overwhelm most anyone and it's lighter than appearances suggest. Very easy to drink steadily (session beer?) and my tasting is based on hanging with a group at a pool hall last night. Very nice to quaff in a slightly smokey atmosphere.

03-17-2006 13:43:12 | More by barleywinebrewer
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Dark, reddish brown. Creamy nitro-head and sticky lace.

S - Roasted, coffee aromas dominate, with some grainy notes.

T - Toasted bitterness and a slight tartness. Dry, slightly hoppy finish.

M - Medium bodied- maybe light for a stout? Could be I'm spoiled on that count.

D - Decent. I prefer this to the extra stout, although maybe it's the nitro and not the beer. Gimmick or not, the nitro-head is a goodthing.

03-17-2006 04:47:00 | More by allergictomacros
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.