Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

A- Creamy head that refuses to fade, perched atop cascading darkness.

S- Heavily roasted malts reminiscent of burnt toast. There is a hint of diary like aroma that makes for an overall plesant smell.

T- Extremely well balanced and tasty. This is achived by "playing it safe". Altough good theres nothing special here.

M- A little thin on the take, gets better as it warms up though.

D- St. Patty's Day... C'mon

True there are better stouts out there but its a freakin classic. Best of all it has an availability rivaled only by BMC.

Pauly2X, Jan 23, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +34.1%

By far my favorite beer. I truly enjoy the rich coffee flavor from the roasted barley. A wonderful carmel flavour from the creamy head. The great bitters finish. On occasion I have had it poured in the wrong glass (I found out that there are two styles of Guinness glasses available) and it does ruin the beer.

jaz58, Jan 22, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

I was all over the board in scoring this classic, which explains why I wouldn't turn one down, but wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to order one either.

Starts w/the unmistaken sound of the nitro-can opening, which still to this day, scares me into thinking that it's about to overflow out of the can. And of course the very cool cascading bubbles which build the creamy tan head, which dutifully hangs out for the duration of the beer.

Has a slightly nutty and sweet smell, but is hampered by a metallic twang as well.

Taste is of a light chocolate coffee, with a shot of caramel sweetness as well.

Mouthfeel starts somewhat creamy, but finishes thin, with some watery aluminum aftertaste. This is probably my least favorite part of Guinness. I should try the bottles to see if this is different.

Virtually no aftertaste, and with the low alcohol content, combines to make a pretty darn good session beer.

BeerImmediately, Jan 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearence - Almost black, more of a dark dark red/brown, reddish tints around the edge, very fine thick head. I wish it was a little blacker and had more head, but that's the can's fault.

Smell - Very slight metallic/burn cigarette undertones

Taste - It's arguably the standard modern day stout (although the Extra Stout may be better, but I haven't had that in a while so I can't really compare). Very smooth, straight black coffee taste, although it does taste kinda thin/runny/watery. I wish it were a little bit more robust like Sam Adams Cream Stout or Sierra Nevada Stout.

Mouthfeel - Little carbonation so it's easy to drink. I wish it has more alcohol.

Drinkability - I love stouts. People think I'm crazy when I tell them that I think it's somewhat thin tasting because lots of people think it's like a "meal in a bottle" but I don't buy that. I need to do a side by side comparison of this and Guinness Extra Stout, but I think that the Extra Stout is more up my alley. Also, I really wish Guinness used true 16 ounce cans and 12 ounce bottles. This 14.9 ounce/11.2 ounce business is just lame.

Jameson480, Jan 18, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -6%

Nitro-can poured into a tankard

Beautiful. I am a huge fan of the way a Guinness looks. Big thick bone white head, ink black body. Decent lacing.

Smells of sweet chocolate and roasted malts.

Rather watery for a stout. Dry. Not a big palate here.

Creamy.

Low in alcohol + creamy= good drinkability

Come on, we all know Guinness. It's the other gateway beer next to Sierra. It's good for what it is trying to do. Not a special stout by any means, but come on, it's Guinness.

ColForbinBC, Jan 18, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -19.8%

"Twok! Hisss!" and we're off to the nitro can races. Dead-sexy reverse-cascading, cream colored head sits one finger high atop a black body. At least it looks good.

Past criticism that the nitro can product carries with it a metallic odor seems well founded. It's not awful and doesn't completely blot out a fair degree of caramel sweetness. Still, it ends up smelling a bit like drain water after a while.

A moderate degree of roasty bitterness kicks off a decent into complete wateriness. A lingering hop/metal bitterness finishes. I'm at a loss; there's almost nothing else to describe about this beer.

Mouthfeel misses creaminess and heads straight toward water. Smooth, but so is what comes out of my Britta. I could drink a bunch of this but why would I?

OK, I was a little annoyed after reading the Bros.'s reviews of this brew as they seemed harsh just for the sake of "oh, if you had it in Dublin" or "it used to be better" and the like. However, it's true, this has been dumbed down a good deal from what I remember cutting my beer teeth on from the tap. Not worth a purchase, especially with so many more American craft breweries attempting the dry Irish style (3F's Black Sun, anyone?).

malcontent, Jan 17, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

The version of Guinness we get here is definitely light on the smell and taste. Only a hint of roasted barley flavor is apparent. However, the appearance, with jet black body and thick head, and the creamy milkshake taste are what makes this beer so enjoyable for me. Combined with the relatively low alcohol content, this is a very chuggable session beer that I can always depend on when I'm somewhere that doesn't serve craft beer.

HardcoreKeith, Jan 16, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Decided it was time to review this classic following recent encounters with perfectly kept kegs in Ireland and a good irish social club in South Harrow, North-west London.

Firstly, I dont know if the nitro can should be listed alongside the on-tap version, because they are completely different, as the on tap version is far superior than the widget-can.

Anyway, if kept well, the pour is the classic we have all come to know and love. The smell is limited to a mild roasted flavour. All I can say about the taste is that it is distinctively that of Guinness, except when the quality of serving/keeping is lower and bitterness starts to overwhelm. A good draught Guinness should be smooth, nicely flavoured and not bitter - and dead easy to drink.

foles, Jan 16, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +20.3%

There's nothing better the watching the creamy head foam on a Guinness. Smell has roasted malty aromas. Could be a little stronger though. Goes down extremely smooth, with light carbonation and much more bitterness than I remember. The malts and hops are very well balanced. This is one great beer and shouldn't be put down just because it's one the big boys.

DrainBamage, Jan 16, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -6%

The bottle says this is supposed to be consumed directly from the bottle, so I did that. I only poured a bit into a glass to evaluate the appearance. It is nice and dark, but not black. Light does penetrate and it is more of a dark brown body. The aroma isn't strong at all. A touch of roasted malt is pretty much it. The taste is decent, but could use a bit more punch to it. There is a touch of roasted malt again and maybe a hint of coffee, but it is pretty thin. The body is as thin as the taste. I can't believe I used to think of this as heavy bodied. This is however, one of the most quaffable darker beers out there. There is something to be said for that.

drseamus, Jan 15, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Haven't had one of these in a good while. Ordered this from a nitro-tap. Very interesting show before all was said and done with foam rising to the top from the bottom. Eventually, it became a dark black with a finger thick head that was the color of the inside of a Whopper (the candy, not the burger). Decent lacing. However, the line where the drink itself and the head meet looked synthetically straight. Kind of took a lot of the soul out for me. Smell is kind of weak, but rather sweet-smelling. Taste is rather weak, especially for something labeled as a stout. Mildly sweet malts. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, but closer to the consistency of water. Easily sessionable, but I would rather move on to bigger and better things. Sadly, this is often the best thing available at many locations.

atrus138, Jan 14, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

Was actually my first time that I've ever had this world-renowned, popular brew... Sampled it on draft at Legal Sea Foods in Short Hills, and to be honest, I can't understand what all the hype is behind this one... Although I was pretty impressed with the dual-color, dark, tan appearance, it basically went down-hill from there... a basically average, dry stout smell that wasn't too appealing led to a bitter and uninviting taste that had an even more astringent after-taste... Oily, slick mouthfeel and too bitter to be a drinkable brew in my opinion... Glad I tried it, but won't ever again...

dsa7783, Jan 14, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

From a widget can.

Guinness, been around 100+ years. What observation could a lowly drinker like me have that would add to the pantheon of knowledge about this beer?

Just this: I've had a fair number of well-reviewed stouts. Yes, Old Rasputin, Mikkeller Black Hole, Stone Imperial, and Big Bear are all more impressive stouts, pushing the envelope in terms of taste and ABV.

But sometimes you want something that is more quaffable, that can be enjoyed without concentration, that doesn't have so much character that it demands your attention. And for that, good ole Guinness in a widget can serves just fine.

It can compare to the real draught version, but what beer does? And given that it's widely available, it's a heckuva a lot better option than Heineken or, arguably, Sam Adams.

watchnerd, Jan 14, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Cliché, but not necessarily bad. I know the cool thing now is to be anti-establishment to the point of exhaustion. But for the most part, Guinness lives up to the hype.

It looks great, keeps a nice foam head, smooth texture and taste, and goes down easy. My only complaint would be what I describe as an overly fluffy feeling in it. Sometimes, if it's too cold, I feel like I'm drinking heavy water.

Solid beer. Not exceptional, but worth buying every now and then. But if you're a nonconformist conformist and don't drink it because it's popular, it's only your loss.

ElGrecoVerde, Jan 10, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

A- The classic guinness appearance. Black as night with a creamy 2 finger head that produces custard like lacing!

S- Some roasted coffee malts, a little peat?

T- Roasted bitterness of the malt dominates of course, lingers on the tongue before finishing abruptly. Slight nuttiness in the aftertaste.

M- Full bodied, low carbonation and creamy

D- Very easy to drink. In my early days of drinking, i always felt guinness was so overpoweringly bitter. After tasting a variety of stouts now, its amazingly bland. Fantastically easy to drink and aesthetically a masterpiece, but a real lightweight in flavour now for me.

seanyfo, Jan 07, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

14.9 oz widget can. One of the best looking beers. The cascade effect is great and the lasting tan head is inviting. Smell of rich roasted coffee, maltiness, maybe almost chocolately. Taste is roasty, some bitterness, with not too long a finish, but I was surprised by how watery and thin I found this beer despite it being so dark, and a stout. For some reason I remember it having more body. I found it less filling and full flavored than I was expecting. Decent, but not good.

JDV, Jan 07, 2008
3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Near black with ruby hints with a one finger cream-colored dense foam head. Nice clinging after each sip.

S: Some roasted malt and slight metallic hops.

T: Thin with mild roasted malts with a slight hint of earthy hops.

M: Thin but creamy with a crisp dry finish,

D: There are plenty of local Irish stouts and Beamish that I prefer but an easy drinker that is without a doubt sesionable.

Biscuit033, Jan 06, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -17.5%

This was yet another version of this beer served at a club, a sort of 'system' where the beer is poured from a can and put on what looks like a hot plate. It looks ok, a thin but dense one finger head, but it lacks the bubbles going the wrong way look, and tastes fairly flat.

Guinness is a classic, I like the beers that are not in any nitro cans better. These all seem to ruin the wonderful mouthfeel of this beer.

I had a perfectly poured Guinness on tap last week, complete with shamrock. They haven't been able to can that yet. Drink this on tap or poured out of the ordinary bottle, forget anything with widgets.

srrn, Jan 05, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -32.7%

Served from a 473ml nitro can into a guinness glass. Production date: sep 18 2007

A- black with red hues when held to the light. Nice 2 finger off white head sticks for the entire beer thanks to the nitro widget.

S- is fairly bland with some roasted malt and hints of leather.

T- mostly roasted malts with some sourish vegetable taste mid way followed up with some hops in the finish but not much. This brewery is cutting so many corners nowadays.

M- fairly light bodied and somewhat watery mouthfeel. Carbonation is ok. somewhat metallic as well.

D- this saying that Guinness is like" drinking mud " isnt true anymore. This was drinkable and sessionable.

Overall this just seems watered down for some reason. Decent enough with food or in a pub with some friends but theres not much going here except for a nostalgia thing.

drinkininthewood, Jan 02, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

given to me by my bro-in-law. nitro can to tulip glass. dark brown but not black. very clear. few finger head that thins down to one finger. looks like a stout on nitro.

toasty aroma. not much more. no off odors.

get the bitterness from the roasted grain. malt is out front but get some hoppy bitterness on the aftertaste. well balanced. fits style of course. this beer defined the style.

i love the widget. medium bodied. may have been a little thin. nice lace.

i like this beer. better on tap in my opinion. still one of my favorites to drink though.

ajmoody76, Jan 01, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -43.3%

I truly, truly hope that all Guinness does NOT taste like this.

It looks fantastic with it's frothy head and mesmerizing swirl when poured, and the smell isn't too bad with some floral here and there.

The taste...what in the HELL? No sense of hops, no bite, no tartness, nothing. The taste to me comes across as muddy water. Surprisingly, I did not spit it out after my first drink. It could be because of the nitro-can, but this is absolutely gross.

Don't try to be trendy and get this just on sheer principle, not just because of the name but also because of the widget. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

If the Extra Stout I bought is anything like this, I will be severely disappointed.

assmasterson, Dec 29, 2007

Presentation: 11.2 oz. bottle covered in dark gray labeling (completely opaque), no dating of any kind, with the widget inside, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a completely opaque flat black color, bubbles cascading. Once the beer settles you've got one finger head, cream colored and lingering nicely.

Aroma: Roasted malts, some coffee as well.

Taste: Roasted malts from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel: Watery, no real carbonation of which to speak.

Overall: It's pretty much the same as guinness draught in the can, only it's in a bottle and you don't get as much. If you're just breaking into the craft brew scene it's a good beer to use to get your feet wet. Once you do, though, keep in mind there are other stouts out there that are much better.

FenwaySquid, Dec 28, 2007
3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

The place advertised a "Perfect Pour," and I have to agree with them. A finger and a half of pearly head that left tight knit lacing all the way to the end. Pitch black colour. Lots of malts present, and a distinct roasted flavour. Just enough weight to the body; it wasn't watery, but neither was it like drinking oatmeal. The interplay between the creamy head and the robust beer worked well.

KiltedCulinarian, Dec 23, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a rich black color with a gorgeous white and creamy, foamy head that just sits on top and waits, and waits and remains clinging to the bottom of the pint glass even when it is gone. Plenty of lacing sticks around as well, and the foamy head is present at every sip. Smell is very faint of roasted malt, a little faint espresso aroma. Taste is even more faint with every sip creamy yet distant with only the roasted taste coming through. My first time drinking straight Guiness. Nice change of pace.

genog, Dec 20, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from an 11.2oz nitro-bottle into a 20oz imperial pint.

A: Pours a dark, ruby-tinted, black color that lets a small amount of light through. Smallish 1/2 finger head, light tan in color, that sticks around to the very end and leaves some nice lace sheeting in its' wake.

S: Mild aromas of roasted malt, coffee, and a tiny pinch of hops. Everything smells watered down.

T: See above. Also noticed a fleeting tart fruitiness and a flavor like wet notebook paper. Flavors seem watered down and messy.

M: Thin and watery. That's it.

D: It's easy to drink but why bother? It's not challenging to the senses whatsoever.

GbVDave, Dec 20, 2007
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.