Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

How odd that unlike many N2-CANs, this one has no warning about not shaking it before opening or the idea that there is a widget inside. Or I am one of the lucky winners of the Guinness CAN that rattles when gently inverted, letting me know that there is a rocket-propelled iron mace inside that will shoot out as soon as the CAN is cracked open. Oh, I do so hope that the latter is true! It's been so boring this summer and I could use a life-threatening injury to spice things up. Let's have a go, shall we?

Oooh, f**ksake, it's taken the top of me head off and I just bought that beanie this afternoon! I want me money reimbursed as I'll have to buy another beanie. Naw, just kiddin'! You lot ...

This looked like the Gulf of Mexico, courtesy of BP, in a glass. It had a finger's worth thick, rich cap of medium-tan head with great retention, capable of hanging around well into the fall. Color was a solid tar-black with zero light-penetration. Thank goodness I don't need to re-cap it because I wouldn't know where to start. Nose had a light milk chocolate sweetness underlain by a mild roastiness, kind of smoky, kind of charcoal. Mouthfeel was silky, creamy, like a dollop of something you might add to your coffee. Speaking of coffee, that was its initial flavour on the tongue. It was then followed by a chocolaty sweetness and then a charcoal bitterness. Finish was dry, more toward the charcoal/smoke taste than the sweetness noted earlier. Great lacing throughout. Hopefully, no peliCANs are nearby ... Not really a cooler-worthy beer, but more of a soccer or rugby match on the telly beer. Did I mention I now have the Dish Network? Doctor Who every weekday at 5 PM on BBC America! Who's your doctor and what's in your wallet?

2.88/5  rDev -17.9%

Guinness is a nice looking beer as I enjoy the dark side of things. It's not quite black, but an extremely dark brown with a touch of ruby thrown in. Head is fluffy and white.

The smell is nothing to write home about. It's got a stale, yeasty scent to it. Basically, it smells like a cave. As it warms, there is some chocolate and coffee notes that try to come through, but I might be making up things.

I've always thought Guinness was a highly-overrated beer, and my most recent mug did nothing to dispel that thought. It simply doesn't have much taste. It doesn't taste "bad," but it's really not good either. The only thing that comes to mind is extremely watered down coffee.

It's ok in the mouth, however, because it's a very smooth, creamy beer. There's little bitter and while it's not refreshing, it's just a creamy liquid sloshing around in your mouth.

Due to its creamy mouthfeel and relatively lowish alcohol, you can drink these all night long. Despite the limited taste, it does go down easy. I'm just not a fan.

3.13/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours a pitch black with thick white head, propped up by the nitro I'm sure. Head retention and lacing are there throughout, but it always feels artificial with a nitro. Smells of faint roasted malt and little bit of coffee. Taste has some of the roastiness from a stout, but it is on the watery side. Very creamy mouthfeel, but it feels too light for the flavour.

2.73/5  rDev -22.2%

Had this at Lizardo's Pub and Sub in CC TX. It was poured in its proper pint glass.

To me Guinness has too many watery characteristics. It is VERY smooth and creamy, but to me a little too thin. Most of the flavors seem to be in the background and not putting forth much of an effort. There were some coffee flavors lingering about and a few hints of chocolate, but for me it was approaching bland. It was on the dry chalky side of pale, but still too watery. From what I was told at the bar, it can make some good Guinness ice cream floats. All in all, it's acceptable.

I only drink this on-tap at bars if it is on special or as an alternative to the BMC products - as Guinness will usually be the only import on-tap at the lower-end of average bars. I can never drink too much of this in one session because after a while I get tired of it.

I have not had it in a while, but like some other BA members, I remember this being much better.

2.53/5  rDev -27.9%

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Pours with "traditional" nitro looking head, very creamy, light tan color. The beer is completely black as expected.
S: Slightly chocolaty with only a tiny bit of roasted-ness.
T: A hint of chocolate, along with a little roast to keep things from being sweet. Not a lot going on.
M: On the watery side, doesn't have the "texture" that a well-poured pint has.
D: Well this is a big disappointment, I haven't had a pint in a bar in a really long time, but I don't remember Guinness ever being so blah. Glad that someone left these at the house and I didn't buy them. Don't bother with this, there are better dry stouts to be had.

3.23/5  rDev -8%

Reviewed from notes:

I figured it was time to revisit a beer I used to drink constantly-- this was one of those beers that helped lure me away from , and keep me away from, the BMC products. There was a time I loved this beer... Let's see how it's held up.

This thing pours dark red--- real rich creamy tan head. The cascading bubbles are like the sirens, leading me to my imminent doom that is the darkness of this beer! Looks dark. It is such a dark red that most people think it's black. Looks as good as I remember.

Surprisingly thin feel for how thick it "looked" in the recesses of my memory. Smells like roasted barley and some caramel malts-- perhaps chocolate. I might be crazy, but I smell something almost minty?!

The head is thick and creamy, but the body is so thin it is shocking! This is a real sessionable dry stout-- not really filling like I remember. The taste shows those sweet roasty malts and a dry finish that is quite nice.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a almost solid black with a rich cream head that will not go away for anything (very sexy). Very good lacing and almost no carbonation, goes down very smooth. At first sip it taste like coffee, a very cold coffee with a hint of hops. A very good beer in my opinion. i just wish I could actually try some from Dublin.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

Not a bad beer at all. Appearance is good and the smell is fresh. The taste is quite different from most beers I've had. At first it tastes of hops and cold coffee. Drinkability is only average. It is hard to drink this beer if you aren't use to Stout. Drinking more than 3 will get you a good buzz going on and it gets harder and harder to drink this beer.

2.7/5  rDev -23.1%

Creamy and smooth. The brew is a bit thin and light but sustained by a bitter interesting propagates well in the throat. Leaving the beer a little rest, traces of roasting are felt, with small spikes of acidity, but particularly touches of coffee, a bit like the nose.

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

The flagship beer of the emerald isle. It is good but there are better to be enjoyed. I visited Ireland and love the other beers she had to offer. This however is a good staple beer.

A: You gotta love how Guinness pours. It cycles out as it sits int the glass. Murphy's and Beamish will do the same on tap or bottled. It is dark and chocolaty with a surprising creamy white head. Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout will exhibit a more tawny hue. Heavy head that remains throughout.

S: Smells malty and highly roasted. It is clean not exhibiting a yeasty smell or of the nitrous bottle it is housed in.

T: It is heavily roasted and has some coffee, nut, and chocolate notes with an overall ale malt sweetness yet not overly sweet.

M: Silky smooth and drying at the end. It is thick and heavy.

D: Not meant for immediate refreshment. It is best served with a meal. It is great with traditional Anglo-American dishes and fish

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Ah Guinness. Gotta be honest - I've got a soft spot for Guinness. Once upon a time I used to drink nothing but the typical macro swill that was available - Bud, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc. In college I graduated to "exotic" beer like Heineken, Fosters, and Grolsch. Then a friend of mine introduced me to Guinness. I had no idea that beer could tasty - my first drink was almost like drinking chocolate milk. From there I graduated to Samuel Smiths, especially their Taddy Porter, and I've branched out quite a bit since then. I've had countless craft beers, but you always remember your first.

Stouts for summer. Why not? While lots of folks are reaching for a pilsner or pale ale, I figured I'd go the opposite direction, drinking some stouts, which I usually prefer to have in the dead of winter.

12 ounce nitro widget bottle. Pours a dark charcoal black with a ful 1/2 head with incredible retention due to the injection of nitrogen. The head just will not go down, and cascades down the side of the glass as you go on. Smells of roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate with that unique Guinness smell that I assume is a byproduct of the nitrogen. One thing that has always amazed me with Guinness is just how quaffable it is - everyone assumes that dark beers are challenging to finish. That's not the case with this beer. It's easy to drink which is probably why I got into it in the first place. The taste gives you lots of roasted and chocolate malt in the background, and the nitrogen lends the beer a nice creaminess. Chocolate milk isn't necessarily the best description - Guinness isn't a milk stout - but perhaps something like Yoo-Hoo is more appropriate. There are some hops there, though they are quite earthy and muted. Fuggles perhaps? The hops lend a nice and lightly bitter finish to the entire affair. Overall Guinness remains an Irish classic and one of the best stouts on the market today.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%

I've drank this countless times, but this is my first time reviewing this delicious beverage.

A- Pours a dark, dark, ruby red, with a super fine, bubbly, beige head. Left a noticeable amount of fine bubbly lacing.

S - The scents are dark cocoa and chocolate, with brown sugar and molasses on the finish.

T - Chocolate malts are the strongest flavour, with a little bit of a bitter finish. A metallic flavour lingers, with a strong toffee and irish cream flavour which hang around.

M - I've always found Guinness to have extremely low levels of carbonation compared to other stouts I've had the pleasure of trying. That being said, it's not necessarily a turn-off, and rather, is quite delicious depending on the feel you're in the mood for. It's a unqiue, flat, feel that goes down incredibly smooth.

D - I've always loved Guinness, and the bottles, though not quite as good as draught, are still quite tasty. Guinness has done a great job of preserving the quality of their product for mass distribution. I always have, and will continue to, love their stout!

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

I usually pour my Guinness Draught from the can into a big glass mug as it's hard to enjoy the head through the can mouth.

Appearance: "it's a party inside" really does describe it. I cannot explain how excited I get watching a Guinness settle down in the glass, an almost black beer with very light colored bubbles swirling about.

Smell: Not sure if it's the nitrogen or what, but there's always a mask on the smell for me when it's not on tap.

Taste: I'll admit it's not nearly as tasty as the extra stout, but it still has some hints of great flavor in there. Draught is the more main-stream, drinkable beer really, but I would never call it anywhere near a bad taste.

Mouthfeel: perfect for me. surprisingly light and creamy for how dark it looks.

Drinkability: I can drink this beer all night long, have one or two with dinner, hell, i could probably drink Guinness draught for breakfast. when in a bar that serves bud, coors, miller, carona, and that sort, a guinness draught will put a smile on my face every time.

2.73/5  rDev -22.2%

Well, I should start by admitting that it's not really fair to the Guinness folks to do a review on their bottled product. My very first Guinness was straight out of the tap at a small pub just off Grafton Street, near Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, and have had a lot of Guinness since, in a lot of places, a lot of styles. This nitro bottle is actually not bad for a bottled beer, but it's not the same as a real nitro-tapped Guinness fresh from a hopping pub. This beer pours more dark brown than the classic Guinness black. The head is okay, but has a lot of larger bubbles. It does cling well to the glass as you drink it, and the head does carry a lot of the good bitter hops onto your tongue. Otherwise, the beer is just not so great. It has a coffee flavor that is too mellow, and a texture that is a bit too watery -- nothing near as thick and creamy as a "real" Guinness. Overall, I think I'll save my Guinness moments for those good pubs that know how to keep it fresh and pour it correctly into a proper imperial pint glass.

2.58/5  rDev -26.5%

After having a few of these from the 11.2 oz bottles I realize they just aren't impressive. I guess it might be better on tap, but this version is really disappoining. The appearance is nice, jet black with a thick creamy head. Surprisingly it feels thin and watery, and has very little aroma, taste reminds me of old coffee.
Would be OK as an alternative to a cheap lager or other macrobrew, but I think it's a lower-end porter. The Guinness in Europe may be different so it's hard to judge, but I'm not a big fan of the American version, and I agree it's overpriced.

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

I can't judge this objectively because I think I recieved an old six pack from local store. Very flat no taste was very generous with the ratings for this particular pack. Had it many times before and has always been very average at best. I'm not much of a stout fan inthe summer for obvious reasons but a friend brought some by and it was such a bad pack I had to write something. SOOO average at best

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

Review from notes. Time elapse from finishing about 15-20 minutes. This beer looks like a good black coffee.. a good thing.
Initial head was quite large but diminished to a consistent 1/4inch thickness for the duration. It's color was light tan or off-white. I chunked a bottle in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to chill it a bit and this might have been a scootch too long. I am therefore forced to try another one tomorrow. Gee Darn!

There was a mild smell of coffee to go with the coffee appearance. Still not a bad thing.

In my pie-hole it was like a "cold coffee" feel. A little watered-downish perhaps. I didn't find this disagreeable however. There was a hint of chocolate in the mix as well.

The lacing was minimal on this round. We'll see what transpireth on the morrow.

Overall I find this a very drinkable beer and am pleased with it.

OK this is my addendum..

All of the visual qualities were unchanged on the 2nd beer. With the exception being the head. This time without the beginning of ice crystals the head, though even across the board in terms of thickness, had what I will describe as an iceberg effect: There was more head below the fluid line than above. This eventually disappeared.

I don't know if a food pairng is appropriate here but humor me this once and if incorrect beermail me to let me know.

I had this beer w/ dinner. I certainly gave it a solo tasting prior to eating and all points seemed relatively the same. The good part happened upon eating.

Dark meat chicken cooked in crockpot later pulled from the bone and served mixed with Rice a Roni Broccoli au Gratin rice mix. The chicken cooked down with a dose of poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic salt.

When I finished a bite or two and sent it down the hatch I took a respectable sip of the brew. Ohhhh my God! The flavors which last night I hadn't detected now jumped around and made me very happy. This, to me, seemed an excellent pairng of food with drink.

No lite beer here.... Tastes great, more filling.

Thank you.

3.38/5  rDev -3.7%

I bought a six pack of this wanting to give it a try.

A- Pours a dark brown, almost black, with a small one to two finger head that settles relatively fast. When held up to the light, I could see not much light passed through it; rather opaque. Nice look.

S- Some malts, coffee, dark chocolate.

T- Malty at first, some wateriness, but a little dryness at the end. I can understand it being dry because of its type. If there was more alcohol present and less watery taste, this would score in the 4 range.

M- Not a lot of carbonation; nearly full bodied, but not quite. About average.

D- I wouldn't recommend drinking a lot of these at one sitting. This beer is too dark and dry, in my opinion. Maybe one or two would suffice, so I'll give it average drinkability.

Overall, not bad, I was hoping for better with all the advertising and such Guinness does. This is somewhat comparable to Saranac's Irish Stout, but I liked this one better.

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

"draft" 14.9 oz can 2 minute pour into a pint glass.
As mass produced beers go, this is pretty good.
This is Guinness after all.
Very dark clear appearance. I used to think that this beer had body before I was able to compare it to some of the great stout beers out there. Now, I consider it to be somewhat on the thin side. Still, this is the kind of beer to enjoy with a meal and not concern yourself too much with the details.
Nicely drinkable but it has become a little pedestrian for my taste.

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

I have been a fan of Guinness on tap for many years, but never could bring myself to try it in the "nitro- can".
I did try it in a bottle a few years back and found it not worth the trouble. It was lifeless as far as appearance, almost tasting flat.
I was recently over a friends house for a party, and one of the guests brought 8 "nitro cans" of Guinness over.
I have know him for a number of years as a big Guinness fan.
I expressed my skepticism, and he encouraged me to try one.
I must say, it was much better than the bottle, and better than I expected.
There is still no comparison between the rich creaminess of Guinness on tap and any other form, but if you wanted to enjoy a Guinness away from the pub, this is the next best thing.

4.53/5  rDev +29.1%

UPDATED: JUN 15, 2010 Doing a 3-way shootout with Guinness, Murphy's, & Beamish tonight. Let's see who comes out on top.

11.2oz bottle, rocket nitro widget, no freshness date.

Pours black with a one finger+ off-white dense foamy nitro head. Leaves lots and lots of lace and retains well alll the way down the glass. Instead of looking for spots of lacing, one must look for spots of glass through the thick wall of foam. Guinness is lighter in color in both head and body than the other two, but laces better and holds a better looking head.

Aroma is relatively quiet, perhaps due to the thick nitro head. However, Guinness is the strongest and best smelling of the group. Features good roasted malt, coffee and chocolate. That nitro "smell" is there too. Aroma is the weakest aspect of these beers.

Guinness also wins the flavor shootout with nice roasted malt, coffee and chocolate. Lightly bitter, lightly sweet, a little milky. Tasty. A lot of folks think this has no flavor, but that is BS. Best tasting 4% ABV beer I've had.

Mouthfeel is wonderful for me as I have a tough time with carbonation...even sodas, etc. The nitrogen is perfect for my palate, ridiculously smooth, creamy, and quaffable. These are the only beers on planet Earth that I could chug. The body on Guinness is lighter than Murphy's & Beamish and is the only real area where the classic lags behind.

Overall this is a great session beer, beautiful appearance, nice flavor, and wonderful mouthfeel. Guinness takes the crown in this little shootout with the best overall apperance, aroma, and flavor.

Original Review April 10, 2007:
My favorite simple, sessionable beer. I could drink this every day....very nearly do. Beautiful to look at poured into a glass. A thinner beer than you would think due to how dark it is. Taste is mild and refreshing. Excellent head. A classic and deservedly so. The real key to Guinness for me is the low carbonation. I'm not big on carbonated drinks, rarely drink any soda, and while I'll drink carbonated beer, I greatly prefer Guinness as it is soooo smooth and drinkable. Relatively low alcohol content, but I drink it faster than most beers so its still quite effective. :) Also able to get 12-packs of the bottles for $13.49 nearby (north Georgia). Best price I've seen in my area! The Food Lion next door charges $8.49 for the 6-packs.
Ar 7/10, Ap 5/5, T 7/10, P 5/5, O 16/20: 4.0 Score

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Guinness Draught is the creamy dry stout that I most commonly encounter, and is usually one of the better if not the best beer on tap at pubs with a limited selection of mostly American macro lagers/pils. For this reason I give it special credit--like a trusty friend at low places.

Head is smooth and white while the body very dark though not pitch black. The creaminess from nitro takes a while to settle but ultimately produces a fairly stable foam and fine mouthfeel. There's hardly any smell, maybe a faint smokiness. Clean taste, very light, with only a trace of sweetness. Light coffee and toast throughout. The virtue of this beer lies in the lack of offensive qualities rather than any outstanding taste. The smoothness and lightness make it quaffable.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Geinness Draught poured black with a good size head. It has a coffee like smell, but its very weak. It taste rather watery, with a little bit of chochlate, and coffee flavors. Very easy to drink, the lightist stout I ever had. Overall this stout is great on a summer day, because its not to heavy, but missing alot for someone looking for a real stout.

3.05/5  rDev -13.1%

14.9oz nitro-can, Sam Adams glass, coding but no decipherable freshness dating. What a rip, I thought I was buying 16oz cans. Buyer beware.

Of course, a lovely cascading latte foam transformed into a see-through ruby brown body covered in super fine fluff. It's hard to tell if there are even individual bubbles, there is just a layer of tan stuck to the glass.

The smells are faint and few; metal and roast are just about it. If I'm generous, there is a little bit of dark fruit or berry.

The nitro mutes what is likely an already muted flavor. A little bit of sweeter malt is flattened by the metallic roasted malt. Moderate bitterness seems to come from the roast and I find some toffee.

How do you think the texture of a nitro stout is? Pretty much as smooth as it gets, that how. Texture is nice, but in my opinion the sacrifice of flavor is not.

This is much like drinking second or third runnings off of the mash of a brew; bitter, almost atringent, and very thin. If I'm going to session, I would prefer a pale ale because this embarrasses stouts with flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +23.9%

I had this on tap at 9 Irish Brothers pub in West Lafayette, Indiana. They are noted as having some of the best Guinness on tap in the nation.

Appearance: Rich and creamy piling head, about an inch and a half deep, chocolate milkshake like in appearance and tones, smoothly carbonated

Smell: smells of coffee with slight chocolate scents, subtle aromas

Taste: dry and slightly chocolatey, good flavor

Mouthfeel: simply perfect, smooth and creamy

Drinkability: the most drinkable Guinness I've ever had, no where else has compared

Exceptional beer when on a nitrous tap, it puts other Guinness to shame

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.