Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
clippersfanbob

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

The quintessential Irish stout, Guinness Draught uses roasted, non-malted barley to create an easy-drinking, dry quality not found in many stouts. Combined with just the right amount of hops, the end result is a superbly smooth beer with a silky mouthfeel, notes of chocolate and coffee, and a gorgeous, tightly laced head that endures until the last sip. Truly a sublime experience!

10-24-2005 01:45:57 | More by clippersfanbob
xduderx

Tennessee

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

I first had Guinness in the nitro-bottle and wasn't a real fan. I then decided to give the nitro-cans a try. Wow! If you have a choice between the two, get the can! It's like an entire different beer. Pours with a nice 1/2" head that hangs around for most of the glass. The smell is pleasant but not very strong. the taste is full bodied with a strong dark roasted coffee aftertaste. This is a very drinkable pint. I downed mine before I knew what happened.

10-11-2005 13:02:24 | More by xduderx
PatYoda

1.55/5  rDev -55.5%

Can't see the beer through the bottle. Where is the "Sound" Category? I would definintely give the clinking of the plastic thing in the bottle a 4.5. Doesn't smell like anything. Taste? No not really. A bit of muted sweetness and some cocoa. The mouthfeel is watery and flaccid. This is terrible.

10-10-2005 19:23:40 | More by PatYoda
davidchollar

3.1/5  rDev -10.9%

This review is for the cool nitro can. Everyone knows guinness, but if you're at the store and have to choose between this can or a bottle, I highly recommend the can.
open it up and the gasses hiss for several seconds
looks great! one of the best looking and most entertaining beers to pour. dark dark brown , not quite black. wonderful creamy tan head, lasts about a week.
smells good. swisher sweets with coffee.
tastes OK. a little bitter, really lacking in the flavor department, but not terrible.
Overall a good beer, but the aftertaste reminds me of cigarettes and vomit, doesnt make me want another.

10-07-2005 12:27:25 | More by davidchollar
BeerBeing

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%

Presentation: 11.2oz brown glass custom bottle, white/red/gold on black wrap-around plastic label

Appearance: almost black, nice tan head, excellent sticky lacing

Smell: roasted malt, sweetness, hint of caramel

Taste: medium body, very creamy mouth feel, coffee, chocolate, malt, hoppiness

Notes: solid brew, very drinkable, can't go wrong with this one

10-05-2005 22:39:47 | More by BeerBeing
tesguino

Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +40.8%

The guinness brewery put its flagship brand always on front of innovation, with this nitro can of a pint literally hit a ball of vanguard, its appearance, smell, and taste make feel like was in a irish pub widely recommendable, guinness is new brewer in my country, but start good and mantain its quality control is superior.

10-05-2005 16:32:14 | More by tesguino
decom

Brazil

2.4/5  rDev -31%

the beer looks great, the cascading "effect" is quite impressive.
unfortunately can't say the same about smell, mouthfeel and taste.
don't even know what to say about the smell, since there's not much of it.
mouthfeel is watery, not as creamy as one would think from the looks of this beer.
as for the taste... lots of stuff seem to be lacking. this beer tastes watered down, faint roasted malts can be perceived, but only slightly. no "chocolate",or "coffee" flavors, or any of those things that I heard people say, about Guinness. not the stuff I expected to taste.
a great disappontment, just flat and boring.

09-30-2005 03:47:05 | More by decom
xoqx

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: gorgeous, nearly black color with cascading nitro separation building into a beautiful, creamy, carmelly head.

Smell: Robust malts dominate the smell with coffee hints behind.

Taste: The taste is so enjoyably complex with a lot of dark malty sweetness, coffee and caramel coming steadily through, and finely balanced hops provide a bitter balancing act.

Mouthfeel: so creamy and the persistent head provides a treat on the lips with every sip.

Drinkability: a very drinkable stout; great for the stout category.

09-28-2005 06:43:36 | More by xoqx
KoG

Nevada

2.55/5  rDev -26.7%

Guinness from the bottle. Had it in the past and it taste like Guinness, but lacks some major things from the nitro-tap and can types.

Appearance is impossible if left in the bottle, so I poured it in a glass. No real head, just black. Meh.

Mouthfeel is also negatively affected. Even when not poured into a glass the creamyness is gone, pouring it only makes it worse.

If I'm going to have Guinness, I'll get cans or from a tap. Plus, the cans are 1 pint instead of a mere 12 ounces.

09-22-2005 18:56:00 | More by KoG
LordChesterfield

Oregon

3.05/5  rDev -12.4%

I think this beer is the Budweiser of the Irish dry stout world. It's entirely overrated by the Irish wannabe crowd (that's right I said it!). The truth is there are better Irish stouts out there and drinking nothing but Guinness is like drinking nothing but Budweiser. I drank this in both nitro bottle and nitro can and for some reason the bottle version is more flavourful while the can has a thicker mouthfeel (though this beer never has very much body). Some of the flavors aside from the typical roasted barley and coffee are nothing and sour beer. That's right! I said it! I taste sourness! That's weird, I'm used to bitterness, but never sourness. Almost like they put old beer in the mix with new beer. I actually have heard that this was true of the brewing process, but I can't be sure. Whatever the case, this sour note can detract from my enjoyment of the beverage, depending on my mood of course. Mediocre with the occasion for disapointment.

09-21-2005 06:46:27 | More by LordChesterfield
AltBock

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

11.2oz nitro bottle that has their Rocket Wedge in the bottle. I couldn't pass up that $1 price, that I got at a grocery store.

Appearance: Poured an almost jet-black color with traces of ruby highlights in it. Also had a nice one inch head of tan colored foam that left little lace.
Smell: Had some sweet caramel, chocolate, and the most predominate smell was that of the dark roasted malts.
Taste: It had a dry, bitter, roasted malt taste to it. Kind of tasted like some old coffee.
Mouthfeel: To me, the mouthfeel was light, watery, and thin. It also left a strong dry roasted malt aftertaste that lasted for a while.
Drinkabliity: This is a good beer than can be found everywhere and would make a very good choice if the only thing around is macros.

09-19-2005 04:49:24 | More by AltBock
Enola

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours dark black. It is one of the most interesting beers I've ever come in contact with. The bubbles go down instead of up! It smells of coffee. It is one of the smoothest beers I've ever drank. They go down very easily. I would recommend this beer to a friend. It is a little weak for a stout. All said, it is a great beer I enjoy often.

09-18-2005 08:01:35 | More by Enola
ChefSchipull

Arizona

4.08/5  rDev +17.2%

Sampled at Majerle's Sports Bar in downtown phoenix.

Serving Type: On-Tap

Appearance: Very dark, almost pitch black but not quite. Nice 1/2 inch caramel head.

Smell: Hints of chocolate, caramel, and roast.

Taste: I was expecting this beer to be very bitter, but I was surprised to taste the underlying smells of chocolate and caramel without the harsh bitterness.

Mouthfeel: I felt this beer was a little thin for a stout, but definitely not the worst I've had.

Drinkability: Very smooth, and easy to drink due to the lack of carbonation you'd find in other beers.

09-17-2005 22:51:39 | More by ChefSchipull
daliandragon

4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

This beer is almost as black as Bedford-Stuyvasant, and I mean that in a good way for both parties. Not as much head as I was anticipating, Chocolate roasted malt hits the sniffer like a fresh breeze.
Smooth,rich taste with very little carbonation. Satisfying. Solid enough to make me lick my lips after every sip.
Certainly not a regular thing, but there's times when a Guinness is just the thing, especially as the first brew of a session.

09-17-2005 14:38:28 | More by daliandragon
ypsifly

3.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from an undated "rocket bottle", into a pint glass. The shrink wrapped plasitc says to drink from the bottle. No.

Nice cascade effect that is synonymous with the label. Dark body with a creamy light tan nitro head that sticks to the glass in sheets.

The nose is a bit weak, but roasted malts that are slightly smokey and paired with milk come through. Dry hops round it out.

Tastes like Guinness, but not near as flavorfull as it is on tap or even from a nitro can. Not only are the flavors muted, but the mouth really suffers. I don't see any point in this packaging.

09-15-2005 06:30:31 | More by ypsifly
kbnooshay

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

Not bad. The insane creaminess saves this one. This pours a beautifaul rich brown then black with a nice creamy tan head. The aroma is of malts and coffee. The taste is of roasted malts and again coffee hints. The mouthfeel is so smooth and creamy. This has always been very drinkable for me. Not as good as the extra stout though.

09-12-2005 02:25:37 | More by kbnooshay
67cuda

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Ahh, Guinness.. Poured a deep ruby red, so dark it looks brown at first glance.. I love the small, persistant tan head from the nitrogenation... I personally find Guinness to be one of the most visually attractive beers that I have had. As for smell, it seemed somewhat caramel and chocolatey to me, and a bit of roasted malt.. Very good smell... Taste is a little bitter, somewhat coffee-like, but fairly balanced.. As for mouthfeel, its very smooth and creamy to me.. mmm.. Guinness is quite drinkable, though it tends to fill me up rather quickly... I wouldn't generally drink more than one or two in a sitting. However, the Guinness sold here doesn't compete with Ireland, I know this from experience..

09-08-2005 03:33:54 | More by 67cuda
ColoradoBobs

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

On tap at McDermott's Pub in Doolin, County Clare, Ireland, June 8, 9, and 10, 2005, then again at more than a half-dozen other locations in Counties Clare, Cavan and Louth.

Well, the liquid that comes in bottles and cans here in the states hardly seems like the same creamy, rich roasted malt beverage they serve in pubs all over Ireland. So thick it's almost chewy, with a head like nougat -- good bar-maids draw a four-leaf clover in the head with a dribble from the tap, and that clover stays there all the way to the bottom of the glass!

Chocolate, espresso, dates, all on a toasted biscuity dryness that finishes long and bitter. Sooo smooth and silky-creamy.

It's almost worth the trip to Ireland to discover why the Irish are crazy about this brew. I don't think I'll ever be able to drink again the imitation Guinness we get in cans and bottles here in the states.

09-05-2005 20:40:42 | More by ColoradoBobs
Troyone

3.05/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours similar but not the same as the colors on the bottle, an off black color with an amber hue and a beige frothy head and no carb action.

I can detect a slight milk chocolate smell and having difficulty identifying anything else, maybe if I spilled some on my clothes I would sense all the odors.

Moderately acidic and lightly bitter coffee and chocolate malt taste with some bland resin and orange hops flavor.

Medium bodied, dry almost creamy texture, no carbonation, and lightly metallic and moderately astringent finish.

Unless I mix Guiness as a black and tan, I'm not going to pay money for it however if It was close to being free I may. To much acidic taste and the bland resin hops along with the astringent finish is not my type of Stout.

09-05-2005 04:33:07 | More by Troyone
woemad

2.23/5  rDev -35.9%

Had this on-tap at Mootsy's, a bar in downtown Spokane. I was siting at the bar, placidly working on my Godfather when a twenty-something hipster wannabe that was trying to carry four pints of Budweiser back to his booth, managed to spill all four of them onto the bar right in front of me. Nasty Budweiser badness spilled over the bar and onto my legs, making me smell as if I had been wading in the stuff. This Guinness was his peace offering to me. I selected it because I looked at the somewhat less than promising tap handles and decided it had been a long time since I'd had Guinness and, oh, what the hell?

When I received it there was the usual big, creamy nitro head. No shock there. But the color of the beer was shocking. Having once been a Guinness freak (long ago, before I stumbled across BA, I would only drink Guinness), I was shocked to see that even the muted light in a hipster bar could reveal that this was not the jet black Guinness of old, but something that looked very ruby red in color. A stout should not look this color, especially in very low light.

There was a vague scent of roasted malt, and a toffeeish sweetness, but that was it.

Very unimpressed here. I've had crappy stouts in crappy brewpubs that tasted more on target than this, a beer that is still seen by many as the industry standard for stouts. This started off with a very weak roastiness, then passed on to a clumsily overdone toffeeish sweetness. There was an extremely slight dryness at the swallow, almost imperceptable. Weak and bland!

This is the thinnest stout I've ever had. Downright watery. No stout should feel like this.

This goes down easy if you have a palate that requires a highly bland, inoffensive dark ale. I believe I saw a thread here a year or so ago from the Bros. as to how this beer had been recently noticeably dumbed down. It certainly seems that way to me. I've had too many good stouts to be able to drink this with any relish, regardless of how I once enjoyed it. Thomas Wolf was right - you can never go home again.

08-23-2005 19:09:42 | More by woemad
niangelo

Alberta (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Served in a pint-glass, poured from a nitro can at a local restaraunt. Special bonus review with my co-reviewing wife!

Poured black near the top, with some nice amber flashes at the bottom of the glass ("Dark cherry!" remarks my wife). A thick, creamy head that sticks around for the duration of the drink - and I just can't help but draw a happy face in a thick head. Call me a kid blowing bubbles in his chocolate milk.

Lots of coffee and malt on the nose. Smells like a total cup of joe. My wife notes this a well.

Mouthfeel and slightly viscous with almost no carbonation. Very similar to straight off the tap! I think these nitro cans have done a fairly good job of what they are supposed to do. Taste is immediately tons of coffee! Fades into a slightly bitter maltiness, with a toasty finish.

Satisfying beer overall! A good overall introductory stout.

08-21-2005 07:33:02 | More by niangelo
charlottebeerguy

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

I do love pouring nitro beers you have to enjoy watching that cascading in action. This beer pours deep black with a light tan head. Smell dosnt reveal anything. The retention on the head is ridiculous though ,it would sit there for days. A smooth mouthfeel paired with some biterness. Nothing spectacular but i wont snub my nose at it. I still buy this beer when im in a pinch. After all it is a tasty classic.

08-21-2005 03:36:09 | More by charlottebeerguy
Albinoh

Mexico

3.2/5  rDev -8%

Dark color with a good head, this beer has all the presentation going on, it makes me want to take a good sip. Smell was ok, i felt like it was hidding a good beer however i was not impressed later. Taste, same thing that was found in the aroma... roasted malt, maybe a little coffe/chocolate, like a moka but not showing a lot, a lot of bitterness that it didnt fit right with the rest. Watery mouthfeel... i felt the lack of body a little disappointing, i was expecting far more creamyness.

Good tending to average...

08-20-2005 07:09:15 | More by Albinoh
ski271

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance: Very dark brown with a thick, creamy, light tan head with excellent retention and fabulous rings of lacing. The cascade is a thing of beauty!

Smell: Big roasted malts. Lightly sweet-smelling with aromas of cherries, oak, earth, and chocolate.

Taste: Starts out big but finishes rather thing and weak. A dark malty flavor dominates, accented by chocolate, cherries, and coffee. The finish is lightly bitter and dry, just enough to make you thirst for more.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, silky-dry texture, low carbonation.

Drinkability: I used to think of this as THE beer of beers. But now that I’ve expanded my beer horizons, I’ve been a little disappointed by this beer. I guess I just keep drinking it thinking it’s going to be as big and full as it looks. But as far as stouts go, it’s rather weak. But highly sessionable, and a true classic. Almost in a class of its own. I think if any beer is going to call itself the “King of Beers”, it should be Guinness (not that US macro swill) due to its age and worldwide popularity. One of the best looking beers though. I love how when I'm done with a pint I have to tip the glass back to get the last of that thick, creamy, tenacious head.

08-19-2005 18:54:12 | More by ski271
beerfan82

Iowa

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Guinness draught from the bottle isn't that impressive from the outside can't see the beer at all. The smell is not there at all smells like water. Once you take a drink that's where the taste comes in. Drinking from the bottle is not as good as from the Tap but it loses some of it's creaminess. But other than that a pretty good beer.

08-18-2005 03:00:20 | More by beerfan82
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.