Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -37%

Appearance - Black, with a small head that increased for the first few seconds after pouring.

Smell - Weaker than most stouts. Quite sweet, with a mild coffee odour.

Taste - This tastes like Guinness Extra Stout with all the good flavours removed, leaving only bitterness, a bit of sweetness, and a crap aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery, pretty much no carbonation.

Drinkability - A weaker version of Guinness Extra Stout should be quite drinkable, but I wouldn't want a second.

Overall - 4 years ago, before I really liked beer, I thought Guinness Draught was overpoweringly bitter. Now I don't find anything about it overpowering, but it still tastes like crap. My can was imported from Ireland (some Australian Guinness is brewed under license), but it probably deteriorates signifcantly in transit. This is simply no where near as good as Guinness Extra Stout or any of the other, more traditional stouts in the Guinness range.

Cs1987, Mar 17, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

a: Poured from Guinness' unique nitro bottle. Watched the legendary nitro cascade effect slowly settle. Dark brown to black body, big, thick creamy khaki-colored head. Unmatched retention, the definition of lacing.

s: Light aroma of roasted malt. Maybe a touch of chocolate and coffee, but overall, the nose is pretty weak.

t: Well, there just isn't much taste, pretty watered down. Light roasted malt, kind of like a really weak iced coffee after all the ice has melted. Bitterness grows with warmth and time. Tastes like a watered down version of the extra stout version.

m: Thin, watery, but thanks to the nitro, it still remains creamy and velvety. Flows past your tongue.

d: Like most people, Guinness was my first "dark" beer. It is a great introduction beer for people scared of beer they can't see through. That's because while it may be dark, it is devoid of flavor and drinks like a light lager. Guinness is low in calories, low in alcohol, and is the wimpiest stout I have had. That being said, I can't help but love Guinness. It is still a remarkable beer. That pour, that cascade, that feeling when it hits you tongue, the ease with which it goes down, this is Guinness and nothing else is quite like it. Wish I could have had it before it was mass-produced.

BradLikesBrew, Mar 17, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

Lot's have been said about this beer, and of course I am drinking it to prepare for St. Patrick's Day. So let me review it: poured out from the bottle with a thick, creamy head, dark black with some amber in light. I must say, it is enjoyable watching it sit, giving it an added bonus. The aromas are very sharp and roasty of coffee, wheat, yeast, chocolate, and caramel. The colder it is, the more you can smell its chilled flavors. The taste is uniquely thin, especially for those flavors, with an overall dimension of bitter, coffee like sweetness. The mouthfeel helps perfect it, allowing the flavors to remain dry, thin and light. Overall, the draught of Guinness is very well known for a good reason. Very excellent.

fitzy84, Mar 16, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

St. Patrick's day rolls around and we're all drinking Guinness again. This time I'm reviewing it. Purchased at Kingston, ON LCBO, 4.20% abv, 440mL nitro-can. Poured in a pint glass.

Well, it isn't perfectly opaque, but it's damn well close. Ruby-black body with a creamy tan head.

Aromas of coffee, sourish grain, roasted malt, dark chocolate. Aromas are pretty subdued from the low abv.

Palate is on the sweetish side, got some sourish grain, little bit of roasted malt and some old coffee notes. Not exactly light on flavour but not heavy. Ends quick though. Super light body with low carbonation, goes down super easy, I find this very refreshing. Out of macro stuff this is the best choice by far.

The biggest thing that pleases me is that it is popular *and* decent.

Antilochus, Mar 15, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +14%

Well It's St. Patrick's Day weekend so I got a sixer of Guinness Draught.

Poured into a pint glass, appearance is very dark brown with some red hues. 1-inch head lasts for the entire drink and laces the glass well. Taste is mildly bitter, creamy and, as other reviewers have written, slightly chocolaty. Very drinkable, smells sweet.

Carbonation goes away quickly. This is a very distinctive brew that challenges the beer status quo.

Beerislife652854, Mar 15, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

A= nice dark-brown near-black appearance, dark chestnut red-brown hue around the edges. Huge lush off-white slushy foam head which subsides but stays for some time, with thick lacing on the glass reminiscent to a milk-shake.

S= nice but not startling; something reminding me of a laundry-starch in the scent (probably something in the hops variety), mild hops-bitter hints, a predominant scent of burnt malty nutty-ness.

T= a bit watery compared to the Extra Stout Original, of course-- this beer is designed to be more appealing to the general light-beer drinking US populace. On the other hand, it has much less belching-carbonation than the Original. Nice burnt nutty taste with mild hops bitters.

M= residual mild hops bitters, a slight creamy feel on the tongue, clean finish.

D= I could probably drink a lot more of these than the Extra Stout Original's, for various reasons listed above. I'd love to find it on-tap. Compared to the Extra Cold Nitro Bottle, the can is probably a slightly better version but nothing to justify the added expense other than the fun of playing with the Nitro-Can submerged-pouring.

therica, Mar 15, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big creamy head, almost black body. Creamy texture with roasted malt flavor. Doesn't really taste any better out of the bottle versus the can. But if it's on sale like it is around St. Patricks Day, you really can't feel bad about getting some. Of course this isn't the best Dry Stout out there, but it is probably the most sessionable beer I have had and if you are watching your calorie intake it's not bad.

Sure, it is not the most impressive beer and not one to brag about on this site, but it's fun to drink and not offensive on the palate. It's worth the price.

Homerbag, Mar 14, 2008
1.88/5  rDev -46.1%

I know there are tons of people who rave about guinness... but for what reason, I don't know...

A: Bartender did not perfect pour this one for sure, but it still looked good

S: smells like burnt coffee

T: tastes like it smells, burnt coffee

M: like cold burnt thick coffee. with no carbonation at all

D: I really don't like this style much at all. I am not a coffee drinker, so this by far and wide is not my cup of tea... er ... beer. I hope this isn't the way all stouts taste...

tab021, Mar 13, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance:
Black as night, until held up to the light, which shows a ruby highlight. Lovely cascading when poured out of the can with a light tan/khaki colored head. dense and creamy.

Smell:
sweet grain, roasted, slightly coffee-like with whiffs of baking chocolate.

Taste:
mmm. toasty and roasty. same as smell, slightly sweet and coffee-like, almost smoky. Not an extremely potent brew, but always tasty.

Mouthfeel:
smoooth. medium body.

Drinkability:
Extremely drinkable. These can be drank successfully one after the other without being overpowered by alcohol or bitterness.

I have always enjoyed Guinness and will continue to do so.

cheers.

jayb, Mar 12, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -38.4%

I remember drinking Guinness before they began bottling and canning it. It seems like it's gone downhill since then. This review is based on my latest pint from the pub from a nitro-tap.

Appearance is outstanding - there's really quite nothing like this - a dark black (really very dark ruby red) stout with a 2-3 finger creamy stout head that has nitro bubbles cascading throughout the glass. A perfectly poured Guinness has no comparison so far as appearance goes.

Smell - really hard to discern a smell but when I take a few deep inhales, I'm able to discern some malt and stout aromas but overall, quite hard for me to smell anything.

Taste - A bit tangy but not smooth. Doesn't have the same flavor it used to have. Disappointing. Wish it'd have the oatmeal flavor it used to have with a hint of creamy stoutiness in there.

Mouthfeel - Despite the appearance and despite the huge head, this pint did NOT have the creaminess that one expects from Guinness. For the older version of Guinness with the thick creaminess and bubbliness of nitro-bubbles, I'd have rated it a 5.

Drinkability - The current Guinness can be thrown back but not savored quite as well. Overall, I'd have to say it's a bit below average - I'd still drink it but I don't have the urge to savor it nor do I have the urge to keep pounding them back.

Overall, I'll still drink Guinness, especially if I can find it when it resembles the original draught version.

xare, Mar 09, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

I've never been a fan of Guinness out of the bottle, but I have some left over from making car bombs the other night. Lets see how it goes.

A: Guinness is one of my favorite beers to pour, the cascading bubbles are so awesome. Poured black with a creamy white nitro-head, gorgeous contrast between light and dark.

S: The smell is smoky, a little acidic, a little hoppy, a pretty bland smell in all reality though.

T: Smoky roasted malts, acidic bite at the end, slightly metallic taste, not as good out of the bottle as it is the pub can.

M: Smooth and creamy, not much carbonation at all, not as thick as it should be.

D: This is a pretty drinkable beer, all things considered, but there are better stouts, and better Irish stouts out there. The bottle really doesn't do it justice, I think the best way to do this beer is out of the pub can. The bottles are convenient for car bombs though!

pokesbeerdude, Mar 07, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +4%

On draft at Molly Malone's Los Angeles, 1/13/08. Nitro poured with the creamiest, smoothest head I have ever seen.

Aroma of subdued alcohol, barley and maybe some coffee/chocolate? Beer was roasty, every so slightly nutty and a touch sweet. Flavor seemed to get a little more full as it warmed up. Smooth, mild and very drinkable.

Every time I think Guinness is old hat, I have one and remember that's it's still a standard to judge against.

charlzm, Mar 06, 2008
1.7/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Looks pretty cool what with the super massive brown head - it really sucks me in. Go widget! Kind of a dark brown red color, mostly opaque. Seriously impressive retention.

Smells a little malty, like some toast in the other room. Also some dry, astringent aromas.

Hints of chocolate malt and a dry roastiness. A bit of sweet, watery fruit juice. Then we have some cooked veggie flavor and some bitterness. Finishes dry and, thankfully, mostly clean.

If this guy tasted as good as it looked, it could rival the best of the best. Sadly it tastes next to nothing; it sits just south of neutral. Guinness is a tragedy in the world of beer. The next time someone tells me that Guinness'll put hair on my chest... I think I'll cry.

MrHungryMonkey, Mar 04, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +6%

I have long enjoyed drinking Guinness Draught. Growing up in the Boston area, it was everywhere, always. Even if I have moved on to stouts I find much better, I really can't think of anything that looks better than a properly poured pint of Guinness. It's majestic.

sloejams, Mar 04, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

The familiar 'pssst' of the nitro-bottle catches my attention immediatetely and the usual cascading bubble effect is displayed upon decanting. The head is moderately sized and, somewhat thick, and rather creamy. The foam is barely tan in color and holds decently I suppose. The body itself is a deep brown, nearly black with some clingy, fine bubbles left on the glass.

Faint, creamy, roastiness and a hint of coffee. A somewhat nutty, dark malt aroma is present as well. Creamy and mild throughout. Just a hint of charged chocolate. Nothing special in the nose, decent but average at best.

Very creamy with a vanilla, and light mocha character. A slight char and mild roastiness. Lots of creamy, dairy flavor but somewhat watery. Not a lot of substance at all. Really rather weak on all accounts as far as flavor is concerned.

Creamy but not really very full in texture. Actually rather light with the illusion of a satisfying body produced by very fine carbonation and an off-putting overall texture. Really lacking. And it doesn't get any better as the beer warms.

I suppose the ABV is very low so one could potentially drink several easily, I just don't know who would want to. I'll be honest I'm having trouble finding the redeemable qualities in this one. I guess I'll just say that it leaves a lot to be desired and I can't help but feel like this selection somewhat tarnishes the illustrious Guinness name. I realize its produced to be a widely appealing macro brew but I'm just not digging it.

letsgopens, Mar 03, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Say what you will about Guinness; yes, I know they're a bunch of gimmick happy corporate whores, but one thing is undeniable... There is no other beer on the planet, that looks, smells, or tastes, like a Guinness on tap.

Properly poured, it sports a thick, creamy white head that doesn't have a single bubble in it. It's like Cool Whip. The cascading effect is awesome. Retention is like no other. In fact the last thing left in the glass after all the beer is gone is a thick glob of creamy foam. Lacing...? Holy crap! For the first third of the glass it leaves a solid wall of lace all the way around without a break in it. Held to the light it's surprisingly clear and reveals a fiery red hue.

Smell and taste are an inseparable amalgam of malt, hops, and a twangy sour-dough like flavor that is completely unique.

The only downfall is the thin, flat, watery mouthfeel. Creamy yet insubstantial. Still, I enjoy this beer every time I order it, But I only drink one in a night, and it has to be from the tap. That's the only way to truly experience a Guinness.

Hoagie1973, Mar 02, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A: Almost black in color with moderate head that stays until the beer is gone, looks almost picturesque.

S: Mostly roasted malt and coffee

T: Great creamy taste, somewhat bitter burnt coffee taste.

M: Very creamy, smooth and somewhat chewy.

D: A very tasty easy drinker.

BeerCon5, Feb 29, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance black in color with a two finger tan head. Smell highly rosted grain and coffee. Taste not profound but not bad dry coffee and bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel mediem body very light carbonation. Drinkability was very good I buy this beer about once a month and could drink it all night if I let myself. Very smooth!

BeerTaster, Feb 23, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

The mass-market standard for Irish stout! Energetic head out of the can - deep, ultra-dark color contrasted with light tan abundant head. Roasted, slightly bitter aroma is there but does not stand out. Very dry toasty taste. Slightly austere mouthfeel. Always easy drinking. At 125 calories per pop, this is my diet beer!

IBUnit63, Feb 20, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Just had this on tap...time for a fresh review!

A: The advertising is right on. This is the most visually enticing beer I have ever seen. Black as night in the pint glass

S: Light malts and coffee. Barely accessible through the copious and solid head.

T: The taste is great. Not the best stout in the world, but its Guinness, and it tastes like Guinness. That is to say, some nice malts and a bitter finish that aren't the best balanced or most complex, but still manage to be thin.

M: As intriguing as the appearance. Creamy and medium-bodied, but easy to drink. The head coats your mouth and throat like having a huge marshmallow floating on top of your hot chocolate. Amazing.

D: Amazingly drinkable beer. 4 pints in a night goes down easy and doesn't leave you queasy.

My all-time favorite! As long as it is on-tap. The bottle kind of sucks and I haven't tried the nitro-can.

trentley87, Feb 18, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -5.4%

The appearance of a nitro-tapped Guinness is possibly best looking pour in the world - the cascades, eventually developing to a finger or two worth of white head in contrast to the pitch black of the beer. Sometimes can look almost like it is painted on the glass.

The smell is fairly weak, of roasted malts. Not a strong point.

Taste is mild, roasted malts, a little bit of coffee, a somewhat bitter, burnt malt finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but the body does not seem to be as heavy as I remember from my younger days.

Overall, a pretty drinkable beer. Not the most flavorful, especially after having tasted a good variety of stouts, but still a good beer to hit up when out on the town and in the mood for a stout, as it seems to be the only stout carried by most bars.

Drewcifer, Feb 17, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

A beautiful deep black color and a rich creamy foamy head give this stout a beautiful appearance.

The smell is not strong, but the aroma is of coffee and malt.

The taste is of burnt coffee with expected bitterness. There is also a bit of creaminess.

The mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied.

I find this beer to be very drinkable, and it used to be one of my favorite Irish dry stouts.

hardy008, Feb 16, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

There's nothing like the site of a properly poured Guinness evacuating its bubbles and foam from the depths of a pint glass. It's mesmerizing and hypnotic. And from the tap it posseses the quality of a thin milkshake. Sweet, malty, and delicious yet bitter. This is a beer unlike most beers. Everybody who's anybody has has a Guiness but there are only a special few who can sport the Irish accent and drink it by the pitcher on March 17th. I can't wait...

berserker256, Feb 16, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +14%

After pouring from a nitro-can, about an inch & a half thick head presents, and pretty much stays intact for the duration.
Appearance is jet-black and whiffs of chocolate notes.
Taste is smooth, milk chocolate with a thick mouth feel. Feels good on the back of the throat. Some mild roasted coffee bean thrown in too.
Has a nice deep roasted malty chocolate flavor with no bitter aftertaste. Can see why it's been so popular for so many years. Fills you up tho, I usually have no more than 2 in one setting.

flanmedic51, Feb 15, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

A: pitch black with a two finger off white head. i love watching these bad boys settle for two reasons. one, its just cool looking. two, if i'm drinking guinness, im out to get drunk.

S: not much here but malt and coffee, maybe a slight chocolate hint

T: Not very complex but tasty none the less. Sweet malt with a touch of chocolate milk. A little bitterness in the end but still clean.

M: My favorite part about Guinness. Very velvety and viscous, just rolls across the tongue.

D: Sometimes I wonder if I am Irish when I drink these because I can never get enough when its one of those nights.

dsigmon, Feb 14, 2008
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.