Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
awester462

Georgia

3.63/5  rDev +4%

If you haven't seen one after a pour you need to...everyone should. This beer is a classic goodie that won't let you down. The taste is a deep dark taht will really impress you. It's not so much a standby as it is an occasional beer. At least for me anyway. If you haven't try you definately need to.

02-17-2007 01:48:39 | More by awester462
Stephen63

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

A - The best bit! Black as coal with lovely creamy head.

S - Bitter coffee.

T - Pretty much as the smell bitter but fullsome, tastes like you would imagine coffee beans to be.

M - Very smooth, velvety.

D - A bit rich and heavy to have too many, but would not refuse a second.

A good fall-back beer to have in places where there is no cask ale.

02-16-2007 20:32:30 | More by Stephen63
SMark

Two part pour with thick creamy head. Amber-dark chocolate color as best I could tell with the lighting. No noticeable carbonation or bubbles.

Roasted malt with coffee providing a bit of sharpness to the olfactory system. Could almost smell the thick creamy head.

Bitter coffee taste which caused some in the group to wrinkle up their noses. Not as bitter as cold coffee but a good marriage of the hops and malt to bring out just the right coffee flavor.

Everything leads up to a good mouthfeel that can be swished around in order to extract all the flavors of this beer. Savory.

A good sipping beer that takes a little effort in order to really appreciate all there is to offer. I usually do not drink more than 2 or 3 of these in a sitting as it seems like a great deal of work past that point. Good beer all around.

02-11-2007 19:36:42 | More by SMark
schusterbauer

probably more ruby in color than black, but when first poured, it appears jet black. big ultra-creamy head is very appealing. smell is faintly of cold coffee, maybe a chocolate flavored coffee. a good smell, just not necessarily a great smell experience. (what?!?) very creamy in the mouth, which i like, with flavors of milk, chocolate, coffee, and mild roasted elements. everything is extremely balanced and rounded out, which has its advantages and draw-backs. very enjoyable, easy to drink many of. often this is a go-to beer when in a primarily-macro environment.

02-09-2007 15:54:30 | More by schusterbauer
HossMcGraw

3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

So, the appearance is flawless. Anyone who gives it less than a 5, is delusional. Absolutley gorgeous, with three fingers of tan head and exceptional lacing.

Smell is sour and weak. Faint hint of chocolate malt, maybe some licorice. Very watery on the palate. Some faint roastiness is present, along with some sweetness. Tastes like it's got potential, but intentionally dumbs down the flavor.

Mouthfeel is very smooth. Very little carbonation makes this super drinkable. Definite session material, due to the lack of any artificial BMC adjunct notes.

Guinness seems like it has incredible potential, but in order to make $, it dumbs everything down for the NASCAR fanatic, Bud Lite drinking, streotypical American palate. I understand they have mortgages to pay, but it's a shame they have to compromise what could be a quality product.

If Guinness would brew a beer with some character (besides their extra stout, which is too sweet), and export it to the US, I believe they would have a lucrative market, if they would be willing to give it a shot.

02-05-2007 01:49:08 | More by HossMcGraw
JimFalzone

4.63/5  rDev +32.7%

I was surprise to see the low reviews on these nitro cans. I personally think the concept (and results) are genius. It's the best way to drink a stout at home if you don't happen to have your own nitrous system and tap.

The "widget" makes the perfect carbonation every time. And the appearance is stellar. It's like watching a pint sized lava lamp as the tan foam mixes with the black stout.

Besides just drinking these by themselves, it's always a treat to buy some Bass and make black & tans at home.

02-05-2007 00:57:51 | More by JimFalzone
zymurgy4all

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

I got this at the local liquor store, and enjoyed it more than I thought. This beer proves that it is possible to can a beer and make it taste wonderful. Guinness is a wonderful beer, and no matter how they ship it (canned, bottled), it comes out great. There is no way to compete with the nitro plastic rocket-ship thing that infuses the nitrogen when you open it. Pour this in a glass without hesitation, and you get the perfect head.
For those who think Guinness is heavy, stop looking at the color. This is a light bodied beer that has the flavor of all beers. The carbonation level is lower, which combined with the black color, makes people assume it is heavy. This isn't true as I've had plenty of these, and I think that once you get past the color, you will find it is highly drinkable. In addition, its alcohol level is low, so it is more nutritious than some other beers.

This beer is one reason why I started homebrewing (German Hefe being another), and if you haven't had it already, you must have hit this site by accident.
Cheers!

02-02-2007 01:06:49 | More by zymurgy4all
Sconnie

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev +16%

I've always loved Guinness Draught from the bottle, but I had the opportunity to drink this from the tap in Dublin and it was an experience.
Appearance: Guinness is the archetype for stout, especially in appearance. Watching the white head foam up out of the black body of the beer, waiting for it to settle out...anticipation makes the drink that much better.
Smell: roasty with coffee like overtones.
Taste: A great stout. The pure roasted barley goodness comes through as the strongest flavor, and that's the flavor that I love in a good stout.
Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, exactly like it's supposed to be.
Drinkability: One of the best aspects of Guinness is that it has plenty of flavor and yet is smooth and very drinkable. And also with a relatively low ABV, you can have a few without tipping over.

02-01-2007 23:08:25 | More by Sconnie
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from an 11.2oz. nitro-bottle into a flute glass.

A: After the beautiful cascade of bubbles subsides, the beer is a pitch black color with a very dense off-white head that fades at extremely slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of creamy chocolate and roasted malt and overall it’s a little stronger than most beers that I’ve had in the style.

T: I typically don’t use the same words to describe a beer’s taste as I do a beer’s smell, but as I sip the beer, creamy chocolate and roasted malt are the first words that come to mind. There’s a little bit of smokiness to it and although there’s a little bit more flavor than other beers that I’ve had in the style, the taste just seems weak overall.

M: Very smooth, heavy body, light carbonation, finish is dry but a little bit sticky.

D: Within the style this beer is tasty, but it’s not a style that I favor. It goes down very easily which has caused this beer to gain so much appeal. I used to think that I couldn’t handle this beer, but after having tried a wide range of high ABV beers and knowing that this beer has the ABV of a Light Lager, I now realize that I simply don’t like it. Having said that, I still appreciate the quality of this beer with respect to its style.

02-01-2007 07:14:40 | More by TheManiacalOne
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Decided to try this beer because everyone talks about it. It wasn't that bad, you need the taste buds to drink this.

appearance - Jet black color, creamy tan head, lots of lace to the bottom of the glass.

smell - Roasted malt and a smokey and a burnt smell

taste - smokey, burnt , and creamy

mouthfeel - smokey, burnt , and creamy

drinkability - Not a bad beer. Interesting creamy top, never seen head like this. Enoyed the beer and will try it again.

01-31-2007 04:15:07 | More by auxiliary
sleazo

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Had this one while at the airport waiting for the plane

Guinness draft. A. Beautiful to look at. Thick dark creamy head covers deep dark opague brew. 5. Smell. Slight roasted malt. 3. T. Toasted bread slight malt. Almost neutral in taste. I think I drinking too many imperial stouts. Or maybe this is just bland. 3. Mouthfeel. Thin more carbonation than I remember. I used to really like this. I am not sure this was pulled properly.

01-29-2007 21:44:07 | More by sleazo
montageman

2.35/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from a nitro-can into a pint glass. Guinness is, for my money, a gorgeous looking beer - this may be a function of the nitro-can, but nothing beats the pitch black pour and the perfect tan head that sticks around forever. It's beautiful. But the smell and taste disappoint. The smell is odd - kind of like tomato soup and cheap coffee. The taste is, well, almost non-existent. There is a very faint coffee bitterness followed by slight sweetness, reminds me of flavored water. Mouthfeel is thin - there's no carbonation and slight creaminess, but too thin. This is drinkable - it is like a stout for those who don't like too much complexity. A very straightforward beer. Not recommended.

01-28-2007 02:19:22 | More by montageman
witster18

Tennessee

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

I find this to be overrated....yeah it's solid but when I think stout I think of a beer thats going to take me on a huge flavor ride and frankly this falls a little short of some of it's lesser known and smaller competitors. Don't get me wrong...the appearance and mouthfeel of this stout are second to none! If the flavor was on the same level - this would be the best stout int he world - it's NOT.

Nose isn't very strong.. faint warm milk and dark cask fruit characteristics.. but again, faint.

Pours near blk....huge well-retaining head! The cascading is truly a sight to see...

taste: VOID! some chocolate, some hops to be detected but not enough of either...very drinkable but too safe for my tastes. a bitter background of nothingness...

HONESTLY - this beer is about as tasteless as any macro lager in the u.s....

the bonus though.. if that with this calorie count... this is actually the best LIGHT beer on the planet... well, at least along with Mars Light and Sam Adams Light...

good diet beer for the dark beer drinker, but not something I'll stock or turn down...

vastly over-rated, tasteless stout.

a reviewer that gave this an A+ said "This beer is so silky smooth that you hardly know you are drinking a stout, or even a beer for that matter"
- my sentiments exactly... drink this if you don't like flavorful beer....

01-26-2007 22:33:54 | More by witster18
RoundelMike

Utah

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

What can I add to over 800 reviews for Guinness Draught?

The beer is good, it really is. For many people, Guinness is the gateway to better beer and for that we are in its debt. It's a beer that makes even the common beer drinker suddenly realize, "Wow! This is beer too? What else is out there?"

...well, at least that's how it was for me and I figure it probably happens to others.

One might jump to conclusions and immediately claim that Guinness is the best beer in the entire world. It's not (not at all). It's too tasteless and unidimensional. It's a bit watery. But it is one helluva drinkable beer, its cascading pour looks fantastic, and it's a fun beer to enjoy all night long.

Guinness has its place among us as a "gateway beer" and may it forever lead more and more beer drinkers to beer nirvana.

01-24-2007 04:29:53 | More by RoundelMike
Alexmc2

New Hampshire

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Let me start off by saying this one is better enjoyed on-tap than from the can or the nitro-bottle.

Beer pours a dark brown/black with a creamy brown (nitro) head. The famous reverse bubble surge is recreated nicely by the nitro wigit.

Smell is of roasted...mmm, roasted malt. I love the smell of this stuff, there isn't a better smelling stout in the world, even if its from a can.

Taste, eeh. This is where the cans fall short IMHO. You can sort of realize this resemble what it should, a world class Irish stout. If you let it warm up a bit out of the fridge you can get some of the malt complexity to come out, but don't expect the moon here.

This beer goes down like a champ, thanks again to our friend nitro. Low carbonation (obviously) makes a very smooth drinkable beer. Enjoy one of the better mass produced stouts out there. But enjoy it on tap.

01-19-2007 21:51:19 | More by Alexmc2
BadRockBeer

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +26.9%

Appearance: A beautiful liquid, swirls and tumbles, surges and gradually separates into a black body and smooth creamy head.

Smell: Rich and malty.

Taste: Initial malt and caramel flavour, finishes with a dry roasted bitterness and subtle hints of chocolate and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but light.

Drinkability: The definition of Irish dry stout. A great everyday drinking beer.

Always follow the 2 min. pour rule. Guinness Draught is best served at 6°C (that’s 42.8°F), with the legendary two-part pour. First, tilt the glass to 45 degrees and carefully pour until three quarters full. Then place the glass on the bar counter and leave to settle. Once the surge has settled, fill the glass to the brim. It takes about 119.5 seconds to pour the perfect pint. But don’t fret. It’s worth the wait. May cause love at first taste!

01-19-2007 02:56:53 | More by BadRockBeer
moonman00

Mexico

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

I have tried the can and bottle presentations of this one. I prefer the bottled version.

It pours a nice brown-dark satin color, with a fair head.

Smells like chocolate, toasted coffee.

Tastes malty, with coffee and light bitterness and creamy.

At first i thought this beer was more robust that it seemed to me at the end.

Good for drinking it very, very cold.

01-17-2007 17:15:12 | More by moonman00
mmmbeer

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

All this time I'd been thinking I've reviewed this one, but apparently not. Sampled from the nitro-bottle, which isn't designed to be poured into a glass, so I threw all my beer experience to the wind and reviewed this as they intended - straight from the bottle. Probably the only time that will ever happen. Anyway, it is black, presumably, and because I cannot actually see it I just gave it a 3 for appearance. It smells roasted, with coffee, oats? and an interesting character that kept saying "ash-tray," although it isn't as bad as that implies. It tastes the same with the addition of a mild bitterness on top of a smooth, lactic body with low carbonation (nitration maybe is the correct word?) and a medium finish. Not too bad, but if I'm going to drink the draught I'd prefer the can. On the same token however, if I'm going to drink Guinness I'd rather imbibe the extra stout.

01-11-2007 22:08:12 | More by mmmbeer
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

I’ve had the Original Stout, both in bottles and on tap, and enjoyed it much more than this.

Poured from the nitro can to a jet black color with thick creamy head that lingered through the entire glass, and left excellent lacing. Aroma was slightly malty nuts and chocolate, but not very dominant of either. Taste followed suit, again mild. The disappointing thing to me about this was the extrememly thin and watery body. At only 4.1%, the alcohol never made itself known, and it ended up tasting like a glass of dark, foamy water. There was no bite to the mouthfeel, and the finish was wet, short and slightly moldy.

Not a real enjoyable beer.

01-10-2007 02:22:11 | More by kimcgolf
MP72

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured into a Bass Ale tulip pint glass.

A- very nice cascading effect and a dark brown more so than black color.
S- some chocolate , coffee and sourness.
T- malty, carmel and chocolate and again some sourness.
M- way too thin in my personal opinion
D- drinability was decent but I really dont get the hype on this one.
Maybe the first but not the king of stouts IMHO.

01-09-2007 19:41:15 | More by MP72
notoriousdav

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

What else can really be said about this beer...not much really. I know it's not the same in the U.S. as it is in the U.K., but nonetheless, this is still an excellent stout that evokes strong memories from most beer drinkers. When in a dark pub with lot's wood furniture and comfortable booths, what better to drink?

A: pours just off black, with a a thin nitro head that settles in 60 sec.
S: coffee, chocolate
T: roasted coffee, toffee, chocolate
M: wonderful, full mouth feel, but not a heavy beer
D: Why not drink a beer that tastes like a meal, but isn't heavy on calories?

01-09-2007 16:42:57 | More by notoriousdav
BeerBelcher

3.35/5  rDev -4%

I had this at a local restaurant on a nitro-tap. It was served much too cold, but looked delicious, with a tan appearance that settled as into a uniform dark-brown color. The too cold temperature I think helped deaden an already faint aroma, to the extent that I couldn't smell a thing. Taste was much more subtle than I remember - with a good but faint caramel taste. Mouthfeel is very light and a bit thin and watery. This beer is surprisingly drinkable; I felt like I could drink Guinness all night.

01-06-2007 04:22:59 | More by BeerBelcher
StargherKing

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +30.4%

Nitro bottle poured into a glass. Appearance is dark black, with light reddish tinges at the edges of the glass. Foamy, cappucino colored head with strong lacing. Smell is coffee, chocolate, underlying hops. Taste is very much the same, with very little alcohol taste, and the slight hop flavor bringing the taste of coffee out even more, with hints of chocolate. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, very nice. Drinkability is wonderful, I could go on this one all night. I'll definitely be keeping this one handy from now on.

01-06-2007 03:49:07 | More by StargherKing
rarevos

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Nitro-tap at Boston Billiard's in Danbury, CT. I'm pretty sure you can find it in your neck of the woods. [/sarcasm]

I'll admit to not being fully rational about this beer, as it was one of my early forays into that parallel beer universe wherein Budweiser and Coors don't exist.

A: Pours a jet-black, and you can pour nitro beers all day in front of me and I'll watch the reverse cascade every time. Every time. Creamy light tan head on top that lasts for the entire beer.

S: Hmm. I'm not getting much here. A hint of roasted malt and some smokiness, but it's not assertive at all.

T/M: Not one of the bigger stouts out there, but what's here is certainly enjoyable. Very mild roastiness, mild smokiness, mild creaminess; so, overall, the theme here is that it's a mild beer. Finish is mildly dry, nicely bitter, and has a very light, burnt tail. Mouthfeel is creamy, but this sucker goes flat if you nurse it. Hell, if you take too long in the bathroom it might be flat by the time you get back.

D: Extremely easy to drink, which is why I like it. And I chuckle when people order a Bud or something after saying "Guinness is too filling and has too many calories." It's got quite a mythology associated with it, that's for sure. Easy to drink quickly. Many times out this is the best beer on-tap, which isn't a bad thing.

01-06-2007 02:55:01 | More by rarevos
mpyle

Maryland

3.28/5  rDev -6%

A good looking beer - pours a huge, creamy head that lingers almost forever. Color is very dark brown/red, and clarity is good.

A slight coffee/sour aroma, with some smoky roasted grains appearing as it got warmer. Aroma not very strong, but true to style.

Dark grain flavor, but very muted. Smoky, and quite bitter with a dry finish. Some sour tastes in the middle, but not dominant.

Very creamy mouthfeel and relatively low body. Medium carbonation with no warming or astringency. Creaminess (nitrogen gas?) really noticeable

Subdued flavors, but true to the style (definition of the style?) and bland enough to be highly drinkable.

01-03-2007 01:01:55 | More by mpyle
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.