Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
cubedbee

Maryland

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

Served from the can, this pours an almost black, with just a hint of red, and a nice everlasting beige head. Not much of a smell at all---just a little faint roated malt. Taste too is light, with roasted malts, some coffee flavors, and a faint bitter finish. The beer is extremely smooth and creamy---unfortunately its very thin for a stout and just not satisfying enough. This might be one of the best of the ubiquitous brews, but there are such better stouts that I can't see myself wasting any more money on bringing this home.

04-23-2005 02:17:13 | More by cubedbee
MuddyFeet

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

An old, familiar staple. After drinking scores of pints of this stuff, I am finally getting around to typing up a review. I always liked the way it looks after poured from a nitro-tap. Pitch black with a nice thick and foamy head. Never goes away. The smell is like peat. Decent enough, but it smells like death. The taste is all malts, burnt chocolate and dirt. Hops are there, but almost forgotten. The mouthfeel is very full and with an incredibly dry finish. One of those beers you can drink all night and make a session out of it.

04-21-2005 20:38:35 | More by MuddyFeet
BrewMaven

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer is unique. Just cracking one open facinated me. I enjoyed that even more than drinking it!
In a nutshell: Good head, great retention. Flavor was somewhat bitter and mouthfeel was a little watery. Then again, this was right after a Black Boss porter. I had another Guinness a few days later, and on it's own, it fared MUCH better. This is the third time I've had this beer and it's growing on me...Maybe I'll try the Extra Stout next since boxing is on tonight.

04-18-2005 23:47:46 | More by BrewMaven
vwahaszee

Quebec (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

Well I sure like the way this beer looks, but I couldn't really taste anything special about it. I liked the smooth feel of it, but it went down without my really getting to enjoy it very much. I prefer a stout that has a more defined roasted coffee type of flavor. I found Guinness pretty easy to drink, but there's nothing about it that would make me buy a whole lot of it.

04-15-2005 03:25:14 | More by vwahaszee
dgthompson

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

While this isn't Guinness on tap, it is the next best thing. If you can't go to a pub for a few pints, then belly up to a few cans of this. It pours nice, thick and malty with a killer head. The head sticks around for a while, as it should. In fact, it is rare that I don't finish the glass before the head disappears. It has the nice dark color, with the beautiful tan head that I've come to love. Smells sweet, very distinctive. Taste is incredible, a nice malty, nutty taste. Tastes the same from beginning to end. Not overpowering at all, very smooth. I could drink these all day. I normally won't go for these in the summer, a bit too heavy for me in the heat, but if the temperature is below 60 I can't get enough of these.

04-03-2005 13:20:47 | More by dgthompson
TheDeuce

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

Well here we go, finally the world-renowed Guinness Draught gets a review from me.

Appearance-poured into my Smuttynose pint, nitro-sound, cascading nitro head, fairly black color, ultra creamy head although maybe not as big as it should be?

Smell-charred barely, hints of chocolate and coffee, sweet roasted malt as well.

Taste-charred bitter taste, some notes of chocolate and coffee but really subdued, creamy yet bland somehow. Thick but somehow syrupy for a stout.

Mouthfeel-decent enough, creamy and with a slight aftertaste of coffee. Pretty good.

Drinkability-less alcohol and calories than budweiser, if you can handle the thickness your fine.

Overall-Dissapointing, what has happened to this beer? A dilluted down version of itself even among Dry Irish stouts. Beamish has much more flavor, give that a try instead.

04-02-2005 22:41:51 | More by TheDeuce
arguemaniac

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: I only poured about two-thirds of the beer into a pint glass and drank the rest from the bottle (I’ve heard from a number of folks that drinking from bottle is the only way to really taste this particular beer).

Appearance: At first an interesting cascading carbonation effect that is associated with nitro-taps. After that there is a truly creamy and sustaining light tan head of roughly a quarter-inch. Impressively, the head sustains throughout the whole time I was drinking the beer (wow!). The beer is almost entirely black in color with some very dark ruby hues coming through as well.

Aroma: The beer has that familiar nitro sweetness to it that is very present in the aroma. I can also smell some roasted coffee scents as well but they are somewhat masked by the nitro stench.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Compared to many other beers the mouthfeel of this particular brew has a medium body, but is very thin when compared to most other stouts. In fact, relative to many other dry stouts it’s actually quite light and watery. The nitro “funk” is also very present in the taste, but the roastiness and coffee flavors come through very nicely. There is also some very mild grain and caramel flavors, with a smooth overall chocolate character as well. When sipped from the bottle the beer tastes a little sweeter and the roasted flavors come through a bit better. A strong roasted coffee bitterness in the finish. There is very little hop character to this beer.

Overall it’s a good beer, but I really can’t stand what the nitro tap does to beers like this: while it gives the beer a nice sustaining head, it adds this unpleasant sweetness to it that I think detracts from the overall aroma and flavor of the beer. Also, it’s pretty thin and watery for a stout. On the other hand, because this beer is fairly light and drinkable, it would make a great session beer (which can’t be said about too many dry-stouts out there, IMHO). Also, the bottle says that this beer has less than 130 calories per 12oz serving, so for anyone on a diet, I’d imagine that this is easily a much more flavorful choice than just about any other “light” beer out there. Still, even though beers of this style are prized for their roasted maltiness, I would have liked to have smelled and tasted more hop character. All and all, not amazing, but pretty good. Recommended.

03-31-2005 04:39:11 | More by arguemaniac
Chadbrew

Delaware

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Popped the cap and heard the "Rocket Widget Delivering me the Great Taste of Guinness Draught".
Appearance - Black with just a glimpse of ruby when held up to the light. The Nitro kinda captures the classic Guinness head for like a millisecond, then it's just a half a finger of tan head.
Smell - Sweet with light tones of roasted malt and an almost "milky" smell.
Taste - Not much here really. Somewhat creamy roasted coffee flavor, a little bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel - Medium to full body.
Drinkability - I think the drinkability on this is pretty good. Not my favorite but very smooth and easy. Relatively low abv lets you throw back a few.

03-30-2005 23:10:22 | More by Chadbrew
beermanbrian

2.58/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

While i always considered this the standard for a stout i was disappointed when i actually sat down to review it. I drank it from one of the nitro bottles. Maybe the bottling process causes it to loose some of its appeal vs the keg served variety in a bar that i am used to. As stated on the bottle i did not pour into a glass and drank straight from the bottle. I also find it funny that the bottle says to drink cold (i always thought you should drink it at around 50)

My appearance rating is based on the wonderful head and great dark color you get when getting it out of a keg at a bar. Basically the beer had little taste or smell and left me wanting more. A big disappointment.

03-29-2005 19:07:34 | More by beermanbrian
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%

Haven't had a Guinness for quite some time, and one of my roommates offered one up to help finish off the St. Patrick's Day stock. What a disappointment. Sure, I may have been about 17 years old when I last had a Guiness, but in those last 5 years it seems amazing that my perceptions could change THIS much. I remember a brew that was completely impermeable to all light and that was damn near completely intolerable because of the dryness and the bitter roastiness of the malt. Now all I taste is a creamy, watery substance with a very small residual hint of the roasted barley. The beer even shines through a small hint of ruby, though I suppose it is still dark enough that I could have exaggerated the intensity in my youth. The head is a sticky, creamy foam, actually looks quite appealing. The smell was decent too, but the richness of the aroma was lost in the taste, which as I said was like water. No dryness to be spoken of. No wonder so many masses of mindless Americans are able pound so much of this shit each year on the day where everybody suddenly thinks they are Irish. It wasn't totally bad, but for the stout I remember, it was VERY disappointing. I'll stick to Rogue's Shakespeare, Chocolate, or Imperial Stouts when I have the craving for something a little roasty.

03-27-2005 02:17:17 | More by neonbrown82
zacharius

Washington

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

This beer pours a thick white head with tiny bubbles that lasts through the glass. The body of the beer is almost black but has a ruby tinge. Aroma is all malt. Taste is roasted malt with a barely detectable hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is creamy. Drinkablity is good, a great session beer but probably would get boring after a few.

Serving type: can

03-25-2005 23:15:08 | More by zacharius
TheGipper

2.3/5  rDev -33.9%

I wanted to wait until I got to Ireland and had a taste of Guiness in its homeland to make this review, and I finally did. I could not be more disappointed. The idea that this average (at best) stout tastes better in a Dublin pub than it does at, say, a Times Square tourist trap, is nothing but myth. It's served just as cold in the pubs of Ireland (and I went to several throughout the west, south, and in Dublin) as it is here. The appearance makes this beer, while the lack of any sort of flavor beyond a bland feint, nondistinctive, cold coffee effect ruins the legend. I always suspected that Guiness was nothing more than marketing and myth; know I know. Don't believe the hype of this Hibernian Budweiser.

03-22-2005 19:29:39 | More by TheGipper
twelvsies

Maine

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

Like a lot of us, I really used to like Guinness when I first got into drinking better beer. Since I've been checking out this site and trying new beers all the time I really kind of forgot about it and haven't had it in a while. Last night in honor of St. Patty's I started my night off with a Guinness on tap. I really wasn't too impressed. I mean it still has those typical Guinness things that you like; the nice classic Guinness appearance, the easy quaffability, etc... But it's really not that tasty to me anymore. There are better dry stouts. So I was thinking this last night and then my thoughts seemed to be backed up by the forum post about the declining quality of Guinness over the years. It's definately been popularized and rather macro-ized and really has kind of become a characature of itself. I prefer it out of the can for the cascade effect but really it's kind of just become a novelty act.

03-18-2005 18:02:34 | More by twelvsies
Gruntlumber

Missouri

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

I don't know why I'm reviewing this. If you've never had Guinness you must be from another planet. However, after having a few of these recently I figured what the hell, I'll post my thoughts.

I prefer the nitro cans poured into a glass, but straight from the bottle ain't bad either. It's the most easy drinking stout out there, which isn't to say it is the best stout. I ordered a bottle at a restaurant and couldn't believe how fast I drank it. So I got another and did the same thing. It's almost like a stout light. Very average on all levels compared to good stouts, but this is the most drinkable session stout I can think of. Great with almost all types of food.

03-18-2005 15:50:00 | More by Gruntlumber
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer pours a slightly rubied dark dark brown to black color with a finger of tight foam over top. The nose is nice and roasty, right about where I expect things to be. The flavor is nice, but a little thin for me. I want a bit more full flavor. The aftertaste has a nice bitter roasty quality to it. The feel is moderate and creamy. Overall, the aftertaste keeps me coming back to this beer time and time again. Its not as dry as others I have had in the past couple of days. I think Guinness may have been toppled as the best irish stout in my book. I still like and enjoy it, but it seems to be missing something here.

03-18-2005 01:59:09 | More by kmpitz2
tomthumbsblues

4.05/5  rDev +16.4%

It's St. Patrick's Day so I'm reviewing Guinness. I obtained my Guinness in one of those 14.9 oz. cans. Guinness pours a black color with no light to be seen through it. What little light appears around the edges of the glass is an extremely dark reddish brown. The creamy off-white head is about one finger high and stays on top of the beer producing a good web of lacing on the glass. The smell is of coffee and roasted malt with a slight burnt character as well. The taste is of coffee and cream, and bitter roasted malt. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth with hardly any carbonation. Guinness is a great beer, but certainly not the end all be all of beer. I'd have another though.

03-17-2005 18:00:31 | More by tomthumbsblues
steinlifter

4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured dark opaque brown, nice creamy head that retained well, smell was of roasted coffee, taste was a creamy mocha, bith a slight bitterness toward the end, mouthfeel was little carbonation, and a bit creamy, drinkability is excellent IMO, although I have had Stouts I liked better, this is nice!

03-17-2005 15:25:10 | More by steinlifter
mgdeth

Montana

3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance - I don't think you can beat the appearance of Guinness in a nitro tap. Upside down bubble action, excellent creamy head with good retention and lace. Dark!

Smell - There's not as much to this beer as I would like. Slight roasty malt aroma.

Taste - Dry is right. Roasty and burnt flavor dominate. But it has that special tang to it at the end that makes it special! Always reliable.

Mouthfeel - Creamy mouthfeel, and smooth, despite being relatively heavy.

Drinkability - This beer is easy to consume, unless something like "flavor" gets in your way. It is not high in alcohol, but many folks still seem to shy away from this beer because of its color.

Comments - I've noticed many reviews knocking pretty hard on this beer. To be sure, there are stouts out there that are more exciting in certain ways. However, this beer is a classic in my opinion. The beer probably also has played an important role in the advance of craft beer in the United States (again, in my opinion).

03-12-2005 18:54:48 | More by mgdeth
Gagnonsux

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Is this the most reviewed beer on BA? In my opinion it might be one of the most overated too. The appearance is good enough. Almost black in color with a sizable creamy head from the nitro. The aroma is lightly of roasted chocolate, but not strong or memorable. This is light on taste, it's unoffensive, but not notable. Roasted taste is noted, but seems too restrained. Taste is too watery for a stout and needs more character. I won't be picking this up again.

03-10-2005 03:40:42 | More by Gagnonsux
beersarang

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

Nitro tap pours with the creamiest of creamy heads and thick lacing all the way down the glass. Dark brown, not black.

Faint aroma... too faint to discern.

Flavor, mild toasted malts, far far too mild for a stout. Even milder bitterness. Not characteristic of a stout at all, maybe a cream stout?

Pretty thin body, quite dissapointing.

Goes down smooth and easy, considering its practically water.
Good, but seriously... This is not an irish stout.

03-06-2005 19:34:16 | More by beersarang
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Presentation: It was over 5 years that I had a Guinness. At that time, I didn't liked that brew, but I am giving it another try with this 14oz nitro can. So, I don't start with overated or underrated opinion, neither the 300+ years history of this brewer will influence me. Others brewers such as Molson in Canada or some Europeans are old brewers too. According to the official Guinness website, Guinness Draught is only brewed since 1961.

Appearance: It's darker than coffee. The nitrogen helps it to produce an awesome brew to look perfect. I loved it to pour and to watch its great neck.

Smell: Very weak. Some roasted grain smell with hoppy finish.

Taste: A mix of roasted coffee grain and water.

Mouthfeel: Way too watery, but with a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: This second time, I enjoyed more my drinking time, but I am disappointed by its lack of taste and personnality. After it is poured in your glass, it is like drinking cold coffee. I hope that I missed something and I hope to review it again.

03-05-2005 02:39:21 | More by Barraclou
rowew

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

I have to admit - I am not that thrilled about the beer, but a well poured Guinness settling is one of the most beautiful sights on earth. The beer is good - but not all that many Guinness junkies claim. It is a nice dry stout - smooth and easy to drink. At many "Irish" bars in the US it is the closest you can get to real beer, so it fills a nice niche. The malt bill is impressive - it does have a nice deep malt taste and aroma.

03-04-2005 02:40:53 | More by rowew
maltedmilk

3.1/5  rDev -10.9%

I think this is one of the most gorgeous looking beers. The pour is so much fun to watch. It’s almost black in my pint glass. The head is so pretty and creamy. Smells are of dark coffee and malts.

The taste however is very disappointing. It’s very weak and I would even say watery. It doesn’t have a lot of character.

Its like a trophy beer.. all appearance and no substance.

02-22-2005 01:34:04 | More by maltedmilk
edchef1850

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%

there is something about guinness that always makes me happy. maybe its the great memories it conjures up, sitting in an irish pub with my grandfather, sawdust on the floor, the smell of stale beer in the air, a coca cola in front of me, and the dream of someday owning my own pub, or playing major league baseball, or being a proffessional cyclist. Well a bar owner it is, a bar with of course, guinness on tap. I am probably a little biased in my review of guinness, there might be other stouts out there that may technically have a better mouth feel, or slightly more complex aromas, but none of them have what guinness has. There isnt another beer out there that commands such love as guinness.This
is what sets guinness apart, what makes it special. I love beer of all styles,colors, countries, and continents. I have made beer, read about beer, written about it, and made a living selling it. I will always come back to guinness.

02-18-2005 20:29:14 | More by edchef1850
wisnerd

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Ahhh, Guinness. The one who opened my eyes to better beer.

Though not the best tasting beer I've ever had, Guinness is an old faithful for me. After many a pint I have finally had the presence of mind to post on it.

As is often said, Guinness is best enjoyed out of a tap, but for lack of a kegerator I enjoyed it out of a nitro can. There is nothing like the look of a Guinness pour with the cascade joy that ensues, it is as the slogan says "Brilliant!" The beer is just not as thick out of the can however and the effect doesn't last for long, although I had a nice creamy head on my glass for the duration of the experience. It smells of coffee and dark roasted malt and tastes of it too with a good dry bitterness on the palate. Compared to some other stouts it is not nearly as full bodied in the mouth but this does assist me in drinking large quantities of the ol' black stuff.

Everyone should have at least one pint of Guiness draught in their lifetime, and that is all there is to it.

02-16-2005 02:48:32 | More by wisnerd
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.