Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.78/5  rDev -20.8%

Ive had this beer numerous times and am quite frankly not impressed. It just doesnt hold anything that makes it stand out. Its a very bland beer with flavors so subtle that it makes it hard to appreciate the craft that most likely went into originally making this beer.

Theres a slight hint of oak and maybe something that resembles coffee with a head so thick and messy its almost impossible to pour let alone drink but once you manage to pour the beer the head fades away to practically nothing.

Not impressed.

2.88/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Dark brown, almost black, with a fine head that settles quickly. Carbonation is actually better from the can. The beer pours somewhat flat.

S: Some roasty character, with aromas of burnt toast, molasses, and coffee.

T: Same as the smell, but more pronounced. Roasty, with some chocolate and espresso notes, followed by a dry, bitter finish. I just cannot get into this beer, no matter how many times I try it, and how many different formats of it I try.

M: Light. Almost too light for the style. Flavor is there, then gone.

D: Nitrogen does work wonders for beer at times, but not here. The widget is pretty much spent upon the opening, resulting in flat beer when poured. Not my choice when it comes to St. Patrick's Day.

3.05/5  rDev -13.1%

A: Dark brown with red streaky hues in the light. The classic "falling," the tan head, the lacing. Classic Guinness.

S: Weak roasted malt and a tad bit of coffee.

T: Some roasted malt up front, as the nose would lead on. Maybe a little chocolate and coffee, but not much going on.

M: Creamy due to nitro. But very thin, the creaminess makes up for it.

D: It drinks like water, practically. Low ABV, easy to drink.

Very good gateway stout, pretty sure many of us were introduced to this before drinking GOOD stouts.

1.6/5  rDev -54.4%

Hum, I am one who probably is so accustomed to mass produced beers in the USA that this monster will never, ever be included in by beer "to drink list." Such a horrendous hour of trying to swallow this tragedy. Ugly, flat, mouth-drying, uneven and just plain gross. The incredibly overpowering heaviness was such that I truly, truly considered returning it to the bartender. I trooped on, though and finished it in protest. An ungodly representaion of beer and will never voluntarily consume again.

1.98/5  rDev -43.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip pint at Applebee's. Technically, the lable says you are supposed to drink this from the bottle.

Appearance: Black coffee liquid that had lighter brown around the edges. Nice, creamy head that stuck to the glass and stayed for the duration.

Smell: Roasted malts and old coffee.

Taste: Right up front there was a burnt malt taste. In the middle, dark roasted, bitter, old coffee totally won out. At the end, there was a hint of sweetness, then 3-day-old, coffee aftertaste lingered. Nasty!

Mouthfeel: Extremely creamy, almost milkshake feel. Smooth as silk. This was the strongpoint of the beverage.

Drinkability: I couldn't even finish one of these. If this is the essence of what a stout is, then I'm not a fan. If all you've got is this, then get me a glass of water.

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Ok this was a late christmas present from one of my roommates. I opened the fridge door and I saw an 8 pack of Guinness and I was confused. I left them for several days and then she was like "do you not like this kind of Guinness?" I was like no I didn't know they were for me. I have been wanting to try the canned form of this for quite some time. So heres we goes

Appearance: Beautiful Black body with two finger white head. The surging affect is almost worth the price of the beer alone. Funny side note I was at my dad's a few weeks after this and he was drinking these right out of the can. I was like what are you doing? I poured his next one and showed him the nitro surge affect and he was like oh ok and he tried a sip and said wow that is alot better.

Smell: Smell of roasted malts, chocolate, hops and coffee not quite as pungent as an extra stout but still very pleasant.

Taste: Not a whole lot really. It is almost bland but it it not offensive. You can pick up the slight coffee notes and chocalate notes in the after taste.

Mouthfeel: VELVETY smooth! It goes down like honey and it feels very clean and refreshing on the pallete. medium light body with almost no carbonation to speak of also sort of watery

Drinkability: I can put down an 8 pack over a night and still want more. This is one of my favorite session beers. They are not as heavy as some people think and being the alcohol is only a timid 4.20% you can enjoy these all night long.

Overall: I have had all three offerings of this particular brew and I would order them like this
1. Nitro Tap
2. Nitro Can
3. Nitro bottle

This isn't my favorite Guinness product but it is still one I always seem to come back to.

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured into pint glass a long time ago, before I discovered that Guinness is not suitable for my vegetarian diet. The beer is dark, pitch black with a large tan head. The smell and taste are chocolate/bread/malts, the mouthfeel is medium bodied with an extra dry finish. I used to drink these all day during my college years, although once I found other stouts, I was finished.

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Although I'm new to reviewing beers, i'm no stranger to drinking them. This is one of my standard "go-to" beers. This beer is incredibly drinkable which is why I've probably had this beer more than any other.
Since I have started reviewing beers, I have found that I have to come to terms with some of my favorites not standing up to some of the other beers.
Putting emotions aside here is my review.

Poured into a pint glass the actual pour is a thing of beauty, the carbonation is mesmerizing. It settles into such a contrast between the black liquid and the creamy top.
The smell is of dark malts although slightly sour and dusty.
The taste follows the smell, malty with just a bit of sourness , then the bitter finish.
The beer is thin with little complexity. slightly oily.
As stated before these drink with ease.

Still one of my favorites.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%

I always think it is funny when people refer to Guinness Draught as ‘too thick’, ‘too strong’, or ‘dark-tasting’. It is one of the lightest, most refreshing, sessionable beers of all time. Only the color is sinister.

BTW, why the hell would you drink it out of the bottle? Use your head Alstrom! Get a glass!

A – Perfect appearance of course. I need not describe it. Perhaps the world’s most visually appealing beer. The appearance is not doubtable. The nitro-bottle certainly pours a picturesque pint, errr… 11.2 oz.

S – A meaty roastiness, and ever so slightly the smell of unsalted whipped butter. All things cattle-related come to mind. Well not ALL things.

T – A very mild flavor; slight smokiness, and an absolutely refreshing taste. Very mild; not even much malt, no hop, no sweetness or dryness; this beer exists on texture, appearance and mildness alone... Really the aroma is very mild, and the taste follows in suit, though kicking it up a notch.

M – Creaminess is owned by Guinness. How can you knock its velvety nitro-poured nature?

D – Very drinkable, and pairable, obviously; it is the only beer routinely mixed with almost any other beer under the sun, and it is probably the most often cited beer for culinary purposes.

3.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from bottle to a pilsner glass

A - creamy white head that stayed until the end, very dark color

s - roasted malts

t - smokey malts, slight coffee, caremel taste in the finish

m - watery, very little carbonation despite the nitro-widget's best effort

d - like I said, watery with mild flavor and low alcohol content - you can put down a six pack without blinking, but for $10 i wouldn't recomend it

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with ruby edges and a dense tan colored head. I've always liked the look of a Guinness beer.

S: Roasted malt, a little coffee and a little chocolate.

T: A simple roasted malt flavor with a bit of acidic bitterness in the aftertaste along with some slight coffee and chocolate tones and a very slight hop.

M: It's an ok mouthfeel...I understand this is supposed to be on the watery side to be drinkable, but this beer could use a little more body.

D: Highly drinkable stout. Nothing is too strong in this beer, it is all balanced nicely.

4.25/5  rDev +21.1%

Guinness isn't a legend. It's THE legend. An iconic beer for the right reasons. Perhaps the coolest thing about Guinness is that their "gimmick" (if you can even call it that) is to actually educate customers and servers about properly serving their product. I love the fact that there is no more perfect pour in the world than a pint of Guinness, and that I have yet to see a commercial about TnA or tailgating.

Poured by a certified barkeep. A beautiful shade of black with that iconic creamy head. Beers don't look better than this.

A nice smell of dark roasted malt contains some nuances of coffee and cream. Great smell.

Taste is creamy, roasty, subtle, and refreshing, with all the flavors in the nose coming to visit my tongue.

Mouthfeel and Drinkabiliy are exceptional and extraordinary. This creamy devine beer loves company, sing-alongs, and Irish blessings! A true legend for all the right reasons.

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

.33L emptied into a pint glass.

A: Nearly black with the traditional cascading head.

S: Roasted malts are about the only thing that one can detect here.

M: Creamy, but not as thick as some of the better stouts.

T: Quite nutty, but not complicated at all.

D: These are very easy to go through for me. This is a good stepping off point for lager drinkers looking for more. A sentemental favorite of mine.

I understand this beer is much different in Ireland. I am reviewing this from an American pub.

A - Thin oily fluid. Looks like a glass of water with a shot of stout in it.

S - I'm not smelling much. Maybe a hint of roasted cofee and malts way off in the backround.

T - Good thing they are serving this cold. This tastes like it appears. I'd compare it to a bottle of poland springs.

M - Weak, oily, watered down, no backbone. Very bland.

D - As long as it's cold there is nothing offensive so I had no problem getting a pint down.

1.05/5  rDev -70.1%

During my college years beer drinkers that could be seen in bars locally could be classified into several types: consumers of crappy domestic beers, flocks of corona drinking females , imported lager consuming douchebags full of themselves and themselves full of shit and atop of all were fake beer-aristocrats, the Guinness devotees claiming »I drink only good beer« (Common myth was that Guinness has such a dense head that a coin put on wouldn't sink).
Guinness is my favorite brewery too, in a negative way. It seems to be suffering from reversed Midas syndrome as everything they touch turns into crap instead of gold as I haven't came accross with decent product of theirs yet. Now I'm tasting their Draught from some morbid curiosity and I'm not disappointed - Guinness never fails to justify my low expectations. Guinness Draught is an excellent example of what happens when Marketing Department gets more founds than Research & Quality Control. To the beer: Can with best before date 13.08.2010. The pouring into tulip reveals rather opaque dark muddy brown fluid topped with ¼ of inch thin firm beige head that lasts. Apart from light acidic sourness and quite imperceptible alcohol nothing else is detected, maybe just a hint of bitter chocolate. Where is the coffee like aroma of burnt barley /barley malt so typical of a stout? Dominant flavor of this slush is acidic sourness derived from cereal roasting accompanied by unpleasant bitterness of charred organic matter. Now, I'd expect at least a decent coffee finish but that's probably to much to ask of a Guinness. All in all the flavor profile is of bone-charcoal decomposing in water. The body is watery - probably a desperate attempt to enhance the drinkability - with zero carbonation. The above written refers to sampling from a tulip, directly from the can everything was even worse.
»Serve extra cold« - of course I will, cuz anesthetizing the tastebuds by freeze is the only way to at least to some degree hide the crappish character of this beer. Ironically, there is even a quality warrant signature of Arth Guinness on the can, the same way as there is a central-bank governor 's name printed on banknotes assuring their authenticity and stability of the monetary system.
Finaly: What is this - a sort of bizarre experiment how much crappishness can be bottled/canned and people will still be drinking it? This brew hits the absolute zero on quality scale. He (Guinness) has gone where no one else has gone before.

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: The nitro cascade is astounding, the head is a perfect two fingers of creamy light tan over a near-black ruby body. The head laces very well.

S: Sweet light grains, a bit of dark roasted malt, and something like the slightest essence of fruit.

T: Fairly singular taste, mostly darkly roasted (sometimes nearly burnt) barley and something a bit sweet. Maybe like over-roasted coffee. Almost no hop presence and little maltyness.

M: Velvety smooth from the nitrogen adjunct, and overall very thin.

D: Extremely drinkable because of light body, however it does not fill you up as a stout should.

Overall: If this beer is being rated as a traditional stout it falls far short, but I believe that Guinness Draught from a can is not meant at all to taste like a normal stout, but instead like a can of nitro Guinness. This makes rating difficult because I am not sure what to compare it to. I think people either love Guinness for what it is, or disdain it because it is not a typical stout. Take your pick. Personally, I love this beer because of its interesting and rich history, and because of the marketing involved. It is packaged beautifully and looks simply wonderful in a glass. So it is watery? I kind of think it is refreshing for that reason. No it will never be Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout but I don't think it is trying to be...

3.05/5  rDev -13.1%

guinness is guinness most people out there have had this. The simpsons said it right it's like having bog water and chocolate syrup. dark color tan head pours forth. Very bland stout. creamy taste though. I can always drink a few of these, but would rather have something else most days.

2.55/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The best thing about this beer is it's appearance. It is amazing before I started drinking micros that this used to taste amazing. Now it tastes very watery compared to some of the other kick ass stouts out there!

A - This is the best thing about the beer. It does look very good and is dark brown with great lacing.

S - I don't smell anything... this lacks the smell of malts and chocolate and there is no smell of alcohol

T - Very watery compared to most other stouts out there. I don't mean to diss guiness too hard i know it is very popular; however, there are some phenomenal stouts out there that really put it to shame. I had a tough time drinking this because it just tasted like a glass of brown water. Where is the taste????

M - It is creamy!

D - I can see other people drinking this no problem; however, my problem is that there just isn't enough taste to it. It tasted too watery i have a hard time getting thru one.

3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

Mmmm, Guinness. This was one of my favorite beers before I got into micros. The best thing about this beer is the appearance: dark brown / black, with a huge creamy head. Head retention is very good, it stays around for the duration of the beer. There is a light roasted aroma. The flavor is of roasted malts and bitter coffee. This is fairly watery for a stout, but it still has a extremely smooth mouthfeel from the nitro. The mouthfeel would be exceptional if the body wasn't so light. Overall this is kind of bland compared to other stouts, but it's still a very drinkable beer.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

Guinness Draught poured black with a the ridiculously thick milk chocolate-colored cascading head for which it's famous.

The smell and taste have a near-indistinguishable roasty sweet maltiness. The feel is like water. There's no complexity, no bitterness, and nothing left behind. Like water, and with the low alcohol content, it's easy to drink.

As with so many others, Guinness Draught was my first foray into beer other than American Adjunct Lagers, and a very long time ago, I loved it. Now, after having tried so many great aggressive and complex stouts (Yeti and FBS to name just two), Guinness Draught seems like water.

3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

I have to admit that this beer was and remains one of my first loves. I'd never tasted anything like it -- low carbonation, black, milky consistency, and a solid, nutty flavor that had me at the first sip. However, I will admit that this beer has its faults. The burnt, woody flavor quickly becomes monotonous. The taste is really too mild for its heartiness -- I found myself wishing for a "bigger" flavor with more depth. However, it's incredibly drinkable and has the power to lure beer-haters out of their caves. Those who wish for a stronger, more nuanced flavor might try Guinness Extra Stout.

3.28/5  rDev -6.6%

This is the first beer I got into when I turned 21, so Guinness always has a special place in my heart. Finally took the time to review one. My tastes have changed since then, but I still like it. Poured it into a Tulip style pint glass it has a nice looking nitro effect to it while being poured. The bubbles slowly work their way to the top. Whether or not you're a fan of Guinness I feel everyone should agree atleast that it's a good looking beer. A few years ago I would have rated the taste and smell so much higher, but pretty average now. It's generously malted, very sweet with hints of chocolate and coffee. When let back down to room temperature you can slightly smell the hop but you really have to look for it. In the taste it's also difficult to pick up on the hop, it does have a slight bitterness to it. It's nothing too high in quality but well blended. The mouthfeel is pretty good, for a stout it does feel a bit watered down for a stout. It's very drinkable, no matter what the occasion. Not my favorite beer anymore, but I'll still never turn one down!

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%

One of the roommates bought beer, and this is what he brought home. I didn't want to be rude, so I had one.

A: This really is a nice looking pour. Dark brown, bordering on black with that patented creamy mocha colored head.

S: Very thin and watery on the nose. I pick up a few hints of roasted malt and maybe some chocolate.

T: Not too much better than the nose. A bit of roasted malt flavor and maybe a touch of chocolate and coffee, but overall it's very bland.

M: I do enjoy the creamy feel the nitro gives. Unfortunately, it seems to (have helped to) kill the rest of the beer.

D: This is really disappointing. I recall early on in my drinking days when Guinness was a fairly enjoyable beer, but it seems to have gone the way of so many other mass produced items.

3.2/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 14.9 fluid ounce nitro-can into an imperial pint glass.

A: The stout puts on quite a show after you pop the can and pour it straight down into the glass. You can watch as everything gradually settles with a perfect looking head on top--white and about 2-finger width. The head is resiliant. Not much lacing going on as the stout is consumed. The nearly black color of the beer contrasts nicely with the head.

S: Pleasent toasted malt smell, slight hints of chocolate and perhaps milk? Smell is generally somewhat muted.

T: This presents an overall solid taste. Nothing jumps out at me, but it is an overall respectible stout. Toasted malt, slight taste of vanilla? Hard to really peg it as I mentioned--nothing really stands out. A small amount of milk chocolate/coffee action there as well.

M: Not quite as thick as I look for in a stout. Very smooth otherwise. Nothing out of the ordinary going on here.

D: Definitely the easiest drinking stout I have ever come across. While that could be a good thing, depending on the circumstances, typically I'm looking for something a little more substantial with a stout, but in the dry irish stout cataegory, this appears to be the norm for this style of beer.

2.65/5  rDev -24.5%

This was my go to stout before I really learned about beer. Ah, the memories.

Anyways, this one pours black out of the can with a thin creamy head that lingers. Smell is very weak. Taste is not terrible, with hints of chocolate and coffee. Light bitterness predominiates. The mouthfeel has always been a little thin for my liking, as I prefer my stouts a little more creamy/chewy. Even low ABV stout as the one could benefit from a rich mouthfeel. Drinkability is decent, but in my experience you'll feel 'full' long before you feel a buzz.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.