Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -38.6%

This is straight from the bottle. Says so right on the lable. "DRINK STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE". So that is what I did. What a let down. It's not even possible for me to explain the let down. Whatever the gizmo does it doesn't make drinking this stout from the bottle enjoyable. No foam in the mouth, rather thin as a matter of fact. No great flavor, sort of watery. I don't know, just don't expect anything , and "DON'T DRINK STRAIGHT FROM THE BOTTLE".

fizzy, May 02, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Guinness is never my first choice at a bar, but not a bad beer if there's nothing else. It's quality and a very distinguished taste. The experience of ordering a Guinness with the head and watching it change colors, is better than actually drinking it unfortunately. The coffee type flavor is nice, but the beer could really use more alcohol. It can hardly be called a stout at 4.2% abv. If they boosted it up to 6 or 7% it would be a much better beer I feel.

sammyadams617, Apr 30, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a nitro-can into a matching Guinness glass. By matching I say smaller than most and sized for the can itself vs. an Imperial Pint Glass. Pours a rich black with red highlights with almost an inch of creamy tan head. The main detriment to the appearance was the inability of the 'nitro thingy' to put a four leaf clover atop the pour. Sometimes you need a skilled bartender, and a cascading nitrogen pour, which this did have to a degree. Great head retention but not quite the sip by sip lacing I've experienced in Ireland and elsewhere on tap.

Smells like Guinness, whatever that implies. Lightly roasted malts, bit of hops, touch of chocolate and a cleanliness reminiscent of a lager. More of the roasted malts with some warming.

Nice flavor of slightly burnt malts. A bit thin perhaps but not nearly as watery as I've seen on tap at times which helps the feel and drink. Nice medium body and smooth flavor without the bitterness I've experienced at times on tap as well. The can I assume is universal. Alas, the can is a good vehicle to enjoy a Guinness without the expense of travel, though at a slight cost in flavor to a good pour near the source.

HalfFull, Apr 28, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Brought a notepad for the first time while drinking this beer, so decided to chronicle.

Arrived as beautiful as Guinness ever does - dark brown body nearing black, with a thick creamy tan head that lasted until the end of the beer, and even left a bit of lacing.

Not much to the aroma. Mild roasted grains, with a hint of caramel-like sweetness.

Roasted grain taste, mildly and generically sweet. Maybe hints of coffee and chocolate.

Mouthfeel is thin, very light, with little carbonation. It's too thin to feel creamy or smooth. Nice crispness to it though, and clean finish.

This beer goes down very smoothly, but there's not enough to it that I'm really enjoying drinking it: I would probably have another in a sitting, if it's the best thing on tap. Overall this beer is nice, but everything about it is too mild. Plenty of other stouts (irish dry or otherwise) that are every bit as easy drinking but pack a better flavour punch.

nighthawk, Apr 25, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours a beautiful deep black with a stellar nitro head that looks like a fluffy pillow of goodness. Smells of roasted malts and a hint of ethanol. Taste is very underwhelming, if I had my eyes closed I'd think I were drinking bud light. Tastes like a watered down version of a roasted malt tea. Body is lighter than I thought it would be. Drinkability is average, I can see it being easy to throw a few of these back without being bogged down.

merryjoulton, Apr 25, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Broke "the rules" and poured this out of its nitro-bottle into a pint glass.

Medium sized white head. Brown bubbles cascade over black liquid. It has a classic look that is one of the most memorable of all the beers I've had in my life.

Aroma is really light and almost unnoticeable. I guess I smell a slight nutiness, maybe coffee, it's pretty light.

Taste is clean and watery, not as profound as most American stouts and not as distinctive as its Irish brothers (i.e. O'Hara's and Beamish). A mild smokey-ness with coffee grounds permeates after a few sips. Big gulps give off a bit of a shoe rubber taste that isn't really too desirable.

Even though its taste is lacking, it is quite drinkable and it's a brew that I've grown used to over the past 7 or 8 years.

I've always enjoyed this brew, but it just doesn't stand up against most of the craft stouts I've tried.

I guess this is what we have to put up with in the states. Apparently, mass production outside of Ireland has harmed the recipe of this classic. I hope to one day try the real thing.

deapokid, Apr 24, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

What happened! Over the past ten years (my drinking career) it seems as though this beer has been getting worse and worse. Guinness' were my first beers and they were fantastic. Now the inconsistent, anything but black color, and weak head are breaking my heart. The smell is gone and the smooth creamy taste is more of a metallic sip of tap water!? I loved this beer and feel personally wronged by those who have watered down this liquid tradition. The only remenant of the old Guinness is the way the nitro makes it feel when you drink it, but the mouthfeel simply can't stand alone.

ArrogantDeadGuy, Apr 21, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

Served in a pint glass from a can.

A: Very dark. A finger of head...very creamy looking. Famous cascading carbonation.

S: Very little of anything. Maybe some malt. Nothing going on here.

T: Rather bland. Slight malt and chocolate flavors. Compared to the stouts of today, it really doesn't measure up.

M: Watery. I was expecting more. Extra Stout is a better representation of what I was expecting.

D: It's drinkable. It could probably be a session beer for most BA members.

Overall: It's OK. They've built an empire on reputation. I like Guinness but it doesn't really stack up nowadays with so many other options.

badmoon, Apr 19, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

do not, I repeat, do not EVER buy guinness draught in those accursed nitro bottles; you can't pour it out of the bottle and even when you drink it out of the bottle it is flat and flavorless. it has virtually no carbonation and a very watery flavor.

if you are committed to drinking the regular guinness draught, opt for the cans or if you must stick with the brand, buy the extra stout in bottles instead, but in all honesty, do yourself a favor and buy a more flavorful stout.

jkbusman, Apr 17, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -27.7%

Had on-tap at Ceol in Brooklyn, poured into a Guinness nonic pint.

A--Guinness pretty much looks like its own advertisement. Perfectly still, black all the way to the taper of the glass, where barely a glint of ruby peeks through. Cap is two fingers of beige cream that dwindles to a finger but remains for the duration and lays soapsuddy drapes down the glass.

S--Uh? No. Almost nothing--barely a glint of roasted chocolate malt back there, followed by some rusty or coppery notes. A little bit of earth mixing with the minerals. Smells like skim milk diluted by hard water, mostly.

T--Same deal as the nose, which is a shame. Maybe a little more bitterness from the malt which comes in as a phantom of coffee, but pretty much it's all rusty and coppery metals followed by a trace of fresh damp soil. Tastes like skim milk diluted by hard water, mostly.

M--Did I mention the watery skim milk aspects of this beer? The foam helps the mouthfeel get out of the cellar, but mostly it's yucky thin.

D--I drank three pints pretty fast, but I think that's because I kept searching for flavor. Nowhere near the Extra Stout in the bottle, and can't hold a shaky whimpering candle to O'Hara's on-tap. If you want real IDS from the country of origin and it's available, grab that one. Still, if I had a bucket of oysters on a nice Spring day...I'd probably still look for O'Hara's, or pick up a sixer of Smutty's Robust Porter (which is really a stout, I think).

TheycallmeTim, Apr 16, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a tough beer to review in the sense that I think its so familiar to most of us that you don't want to give it its due. I did my best.

It pours a deep brown to light black in color. The classic cascading action of Guiness followed when it was poured into the glass. There is a white tone to the beer as it churns and then it culminates in a thick frothy head. Very smooth flavor, even if its unremarkable to some. It has just a slight hint of roasted malts and grains, but you almost have to be searching for it. As I mentioned it is very tough to grade an old standard that is so familiar. You could certainly find a lot of beers that don't stack up to guiness. You could also find many that are superior.

Ragingbull, Apr 15, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

A- Poured a rich dark coffee color with agitated carbonation that sprung toward the top of the glass with very good head retention and moderate la0cing. Fluffy, cloud like white head about a 1/2 inch thick that took about 1 miniute to form properly.

S- Very mild malt aromas with a slight touch of coffee and mossy earthyness.

T- Weak stout flavor almost bland. Not a very mature stout. Offers a malty convection of lightly toasted grains and cocoa, maybe some others but too weak to make out.

M/D- Silky finish with light carbonation almost flat mouth feel. Overall not worth the hype or cost for me.

jmfc8237, Apr 14, 2009
1.98/5  rDev -43.4%

I have had this in the nitro-widget bottle as well as on tap and my review for the bottle is about the same as on tap: this beer is a pale, thin, weak excuse for a dry stout and far inferior to the Guinness Extra Stout. Just as on nitro tap, out of the bottle it is thin and bland, embodying pretty much all the bad qualities of Irish dry stouts with little of the good.

It looks good, always being (in my experience) in a nitro can or bottle or tap. It has an almost black body with an even, medium, creamy light tan head that lasts a long time.

The aroma is exceedingly weak, being mostly light burnt toast and dirty water with a hint of coffee.

The taste is similar, being mostly water with light burnt toast and very faint hints of soil & coffee. It's watery, thin, and bland, so boring it's barely even one dimensional. However, it is not actually unpleasant and it's easy to drink. Even when not too chilled (and many seem to want it cold, confusingly), it still lacks any character whatsoever.

Offa, Apr 13, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

So, this was more or less my best option at the bar I was at. OK, I'm cool with that, I'm not so much of a snob that I can't drink a Guinness. Now a Bud Light, that's another story....but Guinness? Guinness Draught and I are on speaking terms, even though it's not the Extra Stout.

A - This was not a beer bar by any stretch of the imagination, but I'll be damned if they didn't get the pour absolutely perfect. It was poured into a kind of curved pint glass....I think it was a Bass glass. The bubbles cascaded around and around, up and down, for over a minute. Maybe even over 2 minutes. Dark body, red highlights. Creamy head, good lacing. In short, it looked exactly how a Guinness should look. I don't dole out 5s for appearance easily, but this particular pour really nailed it.

S - Great pour, blah aroma. It smelled like Guinness, which is to say, not much. Maybe a little cream, maybe a little hazelnut. Not too much more.

T - Eh....what do you know....a little roasty, little nip of wet-earth hop to finish. Not bad. I can remember many a night feeling very glad to have this.

F - I think the feel is best described as cream diluted with water. It is what it is. It does make it very easy to drink, though.

D - It's always easy to put a few back. Going down, you barely feel it. Most experienced BAs could probably down a couple pints of this and go for a 5K run a half-hour later with little to no discomfort. Drinkability is high. What? Hey, shut up. You know you'll drink the hell out of this in certain situations. Don't even fight it.

Patrick999, Apr 11, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a can into an imperial pint glass

A-Like it or not this beer looks damn sexy in its own glass. Deep black that blocks out the light and a big creamy 2 finger head

S-very bready, more grain/wheat than malt. Small dark malt notes

T-Rich and roasted describe it best the malt comes out good in the front but not so well in the finish.

M&D-Kind of thin for a stout and very straightforward. Smooth and easy to drink tho.

SpecialK088, Apr 08, 2009
3.5/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Visual:
Very similar to when poured on tap. I poured it into a tulip glass and did a two-step pour. It poured out thick and creamy yet settled out much faster (than on tap) and ended up with a tan yet frothy head (two fingers) rather than being creamy and smooth. Fortunately, the head stayed thick and present until the end and left a nice lacing around the edge after each sip. The body is dark-chocolate black.

Aroma:
There are subtle notes of roasted barley as well as hints of caramel, but it is predominately chocolate. It reminds me greatly of a Young's Double Chocolate Stout. There are strong notes of coffee/espresso at the end.

Taste:
The thick head is the first thing to hit the mouth which introduces light notes of vanilla and mocha. The body finds most of its flavor in the roasted barley and soft bitterness in the back of the tongue that is reminiscent of fresh coffee. Unfortunately the chocolate and caramel malts are not as rich as Guinness on tap. The mouthfeel is also a bit watered down and doesn't last long on the tongue.

Overall:
I have had quite a few pints of canned Guinness and must say that I am usually let down. I feel that the main reason I have bought it in the can is due to convenience and loyalty to Guinness. I can't say it is "bad" as I still enjoy drinking it, but I would probably choose something else over Guinness in the can. Yet I will always choose Guinness on tap over anything else. :)

Cheers!

dbmcrorie, Apr 08, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Pours a deep dark black color, looks like a cup of coffee with caramel colored creamy milk foam on top. On draft at the local in Mpls, poured in 3 stages to let settle.

S- Very light, some roast, chocolate.

T- Light malt character, slight sour, dry, chocolate/slight aromatic espresso.

M- Crisp, clean, smooth and creamy, light in body.

D- Easily drinkable beer, low ABV, refreshing, light in texture, low carbonation, good serving temp.

This beer always finds its way onto my list of good solid "go to" beers, can't go wrong with a pint of the black stuff when at a good Irish Pub. Also goes very well with chocolate desserts.

mwagner1018, Apr 07, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +10%

Serving notes - 0.5L German glass, from fridge (40F)
A - Nice sour and light chocolate.
A - Nice billowing white head that we all expect. Black body with tinge of brown on the edge.
M - Light body, creamy feel on the tongue.
T - Sour and chocolate are in nice balance. No hop flavor that I can detect.
D - Nice light bodied stout that consistently shows up in my fridge.

Yeastcakes, Apr 07, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours the traditional black, with slight hints of dark red if held to the light. Great creamy off white head that last througout the pint. Nice earthy malty aroma. That aroma comes thru in the taste. Earthy malts with a hint of bitter coffee. Very smooth and drinkible for a stout. The creamy head also adds to the smooth mouthfeel.
This beer is definately better on tap, but from the can, still not bad.

Liverpool08, Apr 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev 0%

On tap at The Underscore in NYC, NY on 4/4/09.

A - Simply a beautiful nitro pour with a deep brown body and a wonderful cascading effect underneath a one-finger nougat-colored head that retained quite well and left some thick lacing around the glass.

S - Aroma is kind of muted overall with some roasted malt notes and faint coffee and chocolate. Not much going on, unfortunately.

T - Flavor is a bit more roasted than the aroma with some dry, earthy hop bitterness and a tinge of coffee and chocolate. Finishes with a fair amount of earthy hop bitterness.

M - Surprisingly a pretty light body for a stout, although pretty creamy albeit a bit watery overall. Finish is dry and bitter on the palate.

D - I enjoyed this more than usual on this particular night, but unfortunately Guinness is something that I only seem to settle for when nothing else of interest is available on tap. It drinks pretty well overall, but there are just so many other good stouts out there.

ffejherb, Apr 06, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

I'm pretty biased when it comes to Guinness- I guess it's because this was the first real beer I was introduced to, and without Guinness, I wouldn't have gotten into the world of craft and micro beers. So in a way, I am thankful for Guinness, I think a lot of people started out on Guinness and continued their way up to the glorious craft beer food chain. I still f--king love Guinness, stout and draught. Where I live, people think Guinness is some odd beer since everyone drinks BMC or some sh-tty malt liquor like King Cobra or Wildcat (full of wiggers and hillbillies in Youngstown). Anyways, still an old favorite of mine, reminds me of my freshman year of college. I've drank it from the nitro-can, nitro-bottle, and nitro-tap. This review is on the nitro-tap.

A- I love watching the foam in the glass roll around and cascade through the class. There is no beer with a better head than Guinness. Dark, Dark Brown, almost black like Coca-Cola. Mocha foam rolls through out this beer until it settles at the top, looking like some hulked up milkshake.

S- The smell, well, it smells sort of sour and skunky, but I don't mind. Nodes of chocolate, coffee, and rye

T- I'm biased, lol, so it tastes awesome. Taste very sour at first, but leaves multiple aftertastes of dark rye bread, burnt coffee/chocolate and roasted grains

M- mmm....almost chewy, like liquid pork chops :) Feels so good to roll this around in my mouth, very thick and dry

D- 2-4 of these babies and I'm done. If you like to get hammered, Guinness is not the beer for you, so alkys steer clear, unless you want a hangover and black vomit. But I'd say its super drinkable only if you cut yourself off after 2. Guinness is a very acquired taste.

Overall, this is one of my all time favorites. It's just a great beer that is widely available. Great starter beer for some.

BaerBeer, Apr 05, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

12 oz bottle into a pint

A - The obvious contraption fake nitrogen pour is the most obvious attribute. The cascading waves of foam as it falls down the inside of the glass. Head formation is very strong and mocha in color. Body of the beer itself is quite opaque.

S - Sour yeasty notes lead the way. The foam CO2/N smell flows through as well.

T - Starts off with a bit of roasted malts and sour funkiness. Finishes with a bittersweet chocolate flavor. Bitter aftertaste sits on the tongue.

M - Thin and flat texture. A hair of oily substances clinging to the tongue.

D - Moderate drinkability. Low ABV is a charm to manage, but the carbonation is more filling than most. Palette fatigue is starting to set in - the sour tones get a bit old after a while.

katan, Apr 04, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance: Pours (cascades) near-opaque with head that sticks around for a millenia.

Smell: Malty sweetness with a tiny bit of floral hoppiness. Very light chocolate/roasted malt aroma predominant.

Taste: A touch of roasted malt up-front with a drying bitterness towards the back end of the tasting. Malt presence is too light- as if not enough malt was included in this beer's recipe.

Mouthfeel: Extra-smooth but not very crisp, almost flat. Too thin in body for my liking. Semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Drinkable in terms of being a session beer, but the texture and overall quality of this beer turns me off a bit.

-Haven't had any other true Irish dry stouts, so this beer will be my benchmark for future reviews of the style. Hopefully, these future tastings will be better experiences.

coalcracker, Apr 03, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -17.7%

On tap in a Guinness glas

A- This has a dark black look to it but is actually a very dark dirty brown with a very pretty white foamy cap of condensed bubbles. Good lace on the way down.

S- Nothing to write home about but slight roasted malt and some chocolate backing although it's not to strong.

T- Like flavored chocolate water with roasted malts thrown into the mix. It is on the dry side though with warming.

M- One of the most watered down feeling brews that i've ever had, make that the most. With all that said it does display some creamy appeal. Thin bodied with low carb.

D- Gets better as it warms while the chocolate comes out more. Next time I order this I'll just wait till it gets to that point.

BARFLYB, Apr 03, 2009
3.5/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured into a pilsner glass at 45 degrees. Begins with about an inch of head and 3 inches of the cloudy head-body mix; settles down after about 10-15 seconds. Near black opaque body with a thick creamy tan head.
S: Nitrogen, raisiny chocolate, some sweet coffee.
T: I dunno--tastes a lot different from the stuff I'd get over in the UK; a lot more watery. Still, not to bad, though it wouldn't be my favorite dry stout. Bitter coffee throughout most of it, shifts toward the end into some dark malts. Short pine aftertaste.
M: Again, a bit thin but still creamy.
D: Probably one of the easier to drink dry stouts.

lhaqq, Mar 31, 2009
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.