Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
bluejacket74

4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

Ah, Guinness. Served in a pint glass, it pours dark brown with some tinges of ruby red in there when I hold it up to the light. The head is about 3/4 inches high, creamy and tan. The aroma isn't strong, but it smells like roasted malt with a bit of coffee. It tastes pretty much the way it smells, like roasted malt, coffee and some chocolate. There's a nice slight bitter aftertaste as well. It's very creamy and smooth, and goes down pretty easy. In my opinion it's a great beer, especially because of the way it looks (the taste is good too). I don't think I've ever had a bad Guinness, of course it's always better on tap somewhere. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

06-17-2006 23:23:38 | More by bluejacket74
rtratzlaff

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer obviously has it's positives and negatives. What it lacks in taste it makes up for in a really cool look and drinkability. Had this on tap at a bar. I saw the bartender pour it and he poured it straight down the glass creating a ton of head that slowly but surely turned to a pitch black beer in front of me. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to be poured. I usually see bartenders taking their time with pouring a guiness, but this one just set the glass down pulled the tap, walked away and did something else. Either way, my beer arrived and was exactly as every pint of guinness I've had before. An awesome 1/2" white head sits atop a black body for the entire time you drink. Not much of anything in the nose and only a bit of roasted malt flavor in the taste. If I focus and let my imagination go wild, I can maybe fool myself into tasting some chocolate notes. The mouthfeel is creamy smooth, but watery in a weird way. This beer is a session beer if there ever was one.

06-15-2006 13:06:34 | More by rtratzlaff
hunteraw

China

3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Poured out of a nitro bottle, it's opaque black, and thanks to the widget forms the familiar two-layered head. Doesn't leave lace so much as a tan film on the glass.

Smell: All I'm picking up is roast, but to be fair I've got a stuffy nose so it's likely I'm missing something.

Taste: roast, grain-bitterness, a little touch of chocolate and coffee, and a finish that's almost too-sweet (more like a sweet/milk stout), but the aftertaste is pleasant. Not as flavorful as the extra stout, to be sure.

Mouthfeel: Unfortunately, the creaminess of that nitro-layer of head dissipates all too quickly, and the rest of the glass doesn't have that same creaminess. I definitely have a soft spot for nitrogen-charged beers, though.

Drinkability: I've had something of an ongoing debate as to whether I prefer the draught or the extra stout, and the conclusion I think I've come ot is that the Extra Stout is a better beer, but I wish it had some nitro. I suppose the moral of the story is "just get it on tap."The sweet finish does hurt the drinkability a bit, though.

06-13-2006 02:41:13 | More by hunteraw
pibbxtrasucks

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this (most recently) at Buffalo Wild Wings. The beer of course looks fantastic. Guinness has a very unique (as far as I'm concerned) look. Being Pitch black with a THICK, CREAMY head that lasts forever, it is one of the most daunting (readily available) beers for people to try. Its very cool to watch the beer settle, I never take a sip, and usually don't take my eyes off of the glass till its done. It Smells bitter, can't really pick out any particulars. It tastes good. To me its a very subtly flavour. tasted a little smokey, a little bitter. My girlfriend said it tasted like Bacon... but I have no idea what she was talking about. the mouthfeel again, is very unique to me. has a flat, but still carbonated feel. I like it. its a nice change of pace from your typical beer. Its a slow drink and I can normally only take 2 or 3 before I switch to something else.

06-09-2006 02:17:11 | More by pibbxtrasucks
BamaWorKs

Kentucky

4.45/5  rDev +27.5%

One of my favorite beers, the classic Guinness is overall a wonderful beverage. The hints of Coffee are one of the flavors I like the most about this beverage, not to mention its opaque color and traditional white head, this beer is definitely in the upper eschelon (in my own opinion, anyway!). As far as price goes, it can get a little pricey, but you pay for what you get all too often when it comes to beer, and I'm not hurting to pay a couple of extra dollars for personal enjoyment, though I wouldn't recommend drinking too many in a sitting if you're trying to keep away a beer gut :).

06-03-2006 17:32:03 | More by BamaWorKs
dfried

2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance of this beer is great, unfortunatly that is where the impressing stops. Solid, inky black color that cascades for a while after the pour. Frothy brown head that has incredible retention. The smell is average for a stout, sweet coffee and creme, with some roasted and chocolate hints. The taste and mouthfeel are very much like an iced latte or something of the sort, quite sweet and filling, but not much malty goodness in most good stouts. For how deep this beer is, it has a very light body. This is a beer to make 'average beer' drinkers feel like 'good beer' drinkers. It is not impressive after you have tried some good stouts.

05-30-2006 15:15:50 | More by dfried
edskirk3

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

I was at my local taproom, drinking Yuengling Traditional Lager, when the bartender informed that I had kicked the keg (this seems to happen every now and then, they never have another one??). She asked what else I wanted, and after scanning the selection (Milwaukee's Best, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Icehouse, etc.), I decided to go for a pint of Guinness Draught. Haven't had one in a while.

It was presented to me with the signature creamy head produced by nitro-tap, though not as opaque as I remember it. Hmmm. Not much of an aroma either (besides cigarette smoke, but that's from several outside sources around me), maybe some weak roasted malt.

As I'm drinking it, I can't help notice how watered-down it seems. I can't tell you whether they've changed it or whether I'm just ruined from drinking a lot of other really good stouts recently. The three pints that I had this night were really toned down on the roasted flavor. There was still the familiar 'tang' at the end.

I do remember my first Guinness, how "rough" it was for me. Flavor was too strong, or I wasn't used to drinking a non-yellow beer, etc. This time it was a little too easy to throw back. Weak aroma, weak flavor, almost no carbonation. A stout for the masses.

05-29-2006 15:03:52 | More by edskirk3
delmet

1.88/5  rDev -46.1%

It pours in style; unfortunately, it is down hill from there. The head is not too impressive, as it obviously should have been if this had anything to do with the real thing. It has good color: somewhere between very dark red and black. It smells like stale woodchips soaked in beer. And, as smell and taste are close cousins, one expects what to get from the taste. It tastes like it smells with little body. It is amazing that a beer that looks this way could be so dead. Watery, with a tiny bit of bitterness. You take another sip, and another in the hope that it may come to life; mouth to mouth so to speak. Unfortunately it is dead cold. That watery feeling turns me off, so not much to be said on the mouth feel. A little better than licking a corpse perhaps. At this point, I have no doubt you can guess what I think about drinkability. Some people are necrophiliacs, but I prefer something more vigorous, that is just about any other decent beer. My wife is also of the same opinion overall.

I should add that I like the bottled non-nitro regular Guinness. It is one of those beers I have a love-hate relation with. But I always warm up to it after a few days. That beer exists on its own feet. This really wants to be something else, and fails miserably.

05-24-2006 04:22:40 | More by delmet
IntriqKen

4.13/5  rDev +18.3%

Nice hisss when you crack the cap. Pours a deep, dark black with only a hint of amberin the light...gorgeous thick vanilla colored head that lasts a long, long time before turning into very thick lacing.
Aroma is light, balanced toasted malt, coffee, and chocolate.
Taste is dry burnt malt with light hints of bitter chocolate and coffee.
Mouthfeel is thick and creamy smooth.
Aftertaste of bitter chocolate and burnt malt.
Still a standard.

05-21-2006 21:01:28 | More by IntriqKen
yelterdow

4.18/5  rDev +19.8%

Served at fridge temperature in an imperial pint glass.

Appearance- It's hard to beat the floor show of this beer... a loud *tssssk* with the pull of the tab, and the creamy, brown Irish nectar fills the glass. An enigmatic pulling and stretching of microscopic bubbles go upwards and downwards, all the while building a perfectly formed creamy head that sits quietly at a half-inch cap.

Smell- Notes of bitter coffee, with a mildly floral hop presence lingering in the back. Aromas of fresh cream and chocolate syrup are apparent. Clean and inviting, it's just right for the style.

Taste- An easy, round display of mildly roasted coffee with a subtle hop bitterness that counters and balances wonderfully.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- What begins as a watery, thin entry expands ever-so-slightly and develops a creaminess that improves the texture. Although the carbonation is downplayed in favor of smoothness, I do not miss it here. This is undoubtedly one of the finest session beers of all time, for obvious reasons.

05-21-2006 01:15:14 | More by yelterdow
Sosh

Indiana

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Had this on tap at a bar last night for the first time. I loved it. Coffee was the most recognizable taste in this beer. Overall it was very creamy and smooth going down. A friend next to me had some and said they tasted grapefruit. I wish more people drank guinness.

05-20-2006 22:46:32 | More by Sosh
Havinapretzel

3.33/5  rDev -4.6%

14.9 oz. nitro can poured into a mug. A very dark brown with a creamy off-white head that isn't big but sticks aroun til the beer's gone. I can sense that this beer has a smell, but it's so weak I can't tell what it smells like. Guinness Draught was the first "good" beer I got into, and I had to drink a few before I started liking the taste; malty and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel of the beer itself is prety thin; my favorite thng to do with this beer is suck in some of the head when I take a sip, they feel really good together. Drinkability's good; I could drink this stuff pretty fast if I wanted to, and drinking a few would be no problem.

Guinness Draught is something I drink when I want to sit and enjoy a beer that's pretty good but won't get me too buzzed to do stuff that needs to be done. I don't buy it that often, though, because there's planty of other stuff that's asa good or better for the money.

05-19-2006 19:34:49 | More by Havinapretzel
scottoale

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

330ml.brown glass bottle with a full length heat-shink plastic label. Had a little suppository shaped nitro plastic bullet inside that poured an ultra-dark brown with a tan creamy thick head of a finger. The lace was thick bubble cream and lots of it.

Blunt, bittery burnt coffee aroma with some very earthy (almost musty) aftertones from the hops. Hmm, smells like some Dry Irish Stout, the real thing.

Tastes much as it smells, dark roasted (burnt) malt with notes of coffee and oats...very bitter stuff..

Good stiff Stout body that is definitely enhanced by the nitro-charging. The alcohol is burried by the bitterness, yet this dry baby is quite drinkable.

Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, it absolutely fits the style intended, cheers.

05-17-2006 12:11:14 | More by scottoale
BradBLR

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Had this one on a nitrogen tap, when I got the pint it was a really nice DARK brown, almost black with a creamy white head. The smell was a very light coffeeish malt aroma, not very strong.

The taste was a very smooth, creamy malt flavor that almost does not taste like beer. The mouthfeel was nice, thick and smooth.

If you like stouts, this one is a great one to try and if you have not had a Guinness before, try and have one on tap. It's worth a try.

05-15-2006 19:28:47 | More by BradBLR
Prufrock

4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

on tap into the eponymous glass (in a pub in london).

pitch brown but showing a touch of ruby against the light. nice creamy tan head.

great aroma: coffee, burnt malts, some apple sweetness and hints of grapefruit.

smooth, light mouthfeel with a velvety carbonation. burnt malts then a slightly hoppy finish with grapefruit rind flavor. a barest hint of balancing sweetness. it really is better in the UK when you have it fresh, on tap. the fruity, light hoppy character is completely lost on the trip over, leaving little complexity in the american version.

05-15-2006 18:58:19 | More by Prufrock
TheSarge

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

Guinness Draught pours an almost totally opaque, thick, and creamy stout. The CO2 stirred up from the little plastic device puts together a neat little show to watch as the thick, frothy and tan head begins to emerge. For kicks, I like to draw a happy face in my Guinness before I begin to consume it.

Guinness gives off a slight coffee aroma, with the darkly roasted malts being the main player for producing fragrance.

This tastes a little sweet at first, but gives way to the smack of bitterness produced by the burnt malt, in conjunction to the mild hop presence.

It feels thick as one would expect from a stout. There's not much carbonation left over, since most had left from the initial pouring of this brew.

I've always like Guinness quite a bit. I was surprised to see this has about as many calories as a light beer. Only about 100 per 12 ounce serving, with a moderately low alcohol content of 4.2%. A great brew, I suggest you give this worldly popular beer a shot, or pint I should say.

TheSarge

05-15-2006 09:38:45 | More by TheSarge
HoustonTX

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

A - Dark, dark, dark brown, almost black. 1 inch head, nice lacing.

S - Smell is of coffee.

T - Rich dark coffee taste, bit on the dry side. Slight hops poke through for a small amount of bitterness.

M - Creamy, and not bad.

D - Drinkability is alright, but not superb.

An alright beer, but nothing spectacular.

05-13-2006 23:24:15 | More by HoustonTX
brushpig

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

I like the creamy head appearance to this beer, with its thick bubbles that lasts throughout the drink.
The smell is light but pleasant with it's roasted malt odor.
Taste has a light roasted coffee and chocolate taste with a dry finish .Some people find Guinness to be a bit watery, but I find it refreshing to have stout that still a a nice taste, but is not so filling.
As stouts go it is not my fav, but I still would recommend you have one or two.

05-12-2006 22:38:02 | More by brushpig
Mechphisto

Missouri

3.7/5  rDev +6%

Every time I have a Guinness Draught I like it a little more.
The first time I had it, I was used to watery macros, and the Guinness tasted like drinking liquified burnt nut bread.
But now I'm to the point of actually enjoying it, and I'll likely like it even more as time goes by and I get more experienced with non-American macros.

The head is beautiful. Thick, soft, foamy, sticks to the glass, looks eddible.
The color is a dark black, which is a little off-putting. But not bad. I love the way the creamy "foam" kinda appears and swirls in the black as you pour it.

I don't get the coffee smell or taste that some people have mentioned, but it does taste like toasted nuts to me. It's thick and smooth in the mouth.
I've generally had it pretty cold; I haven't tried it warmed up, though. I imagine more subtle notes become more appearant the warmer it gets; I'll need to try that.

When I drink a Guinness, I really get the feeling that I'm sitting in a pub drinking a traditional European beer.

05-09-2006 22:56:27 | More by Mechphisto
Fugazme

Nebraska

3.45/5  rDev -1.1%

Cascades as usual... a lovely looking beer. Tight, bright tan head... 1/2" tall. Pretty deep black, but ruby on the tilt. Tons of tiny bubbles...

Aroma is malty... a touch of coffee... nothing special.

Smooth mouthfeel, but a little watery... slightly creamy, but still a bit thin. A little chalky.

Roasted grain flavors, coffee... a little bit of hop bitterness.

Nothing great, but still enjoyable.

05-08-2006 20:39:37 | More by Fugazme
Frozensoul327

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

This stuff is amazing. It's hard to believe this is beer! Very creamy texture, with a very unique flavor unlike any other beer i have ever had. It has a long white creamy head, and it hangs around for the entire life of the glass. This is something to try if you are into different kinds of brews. For me, this is damn good stuff! Awesome for winter time!

05-08-2006 20:20:57 | More by Frozensoul327
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

I have been drinking this more often lately. Its available much more than most other premium type beers. The bottle has a 'rocket' in it. Not sure on the concept, but it takes up space and gives me less beer. I don't like that part, but if it keeps it fresher, i'll deal w/ it. The look is nice, very dark w/ a lacy head. Not as spectacular as the Extra Stout, but still a nice presentation. The smell is nutty w/ a slight toffee scent possibly. Tastes good!

05-06-2006 17:53:23 | More by beeroclock
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

The best part of Guinness, as I said in other reviews is the appearance and the drinkability.
I drank a bottle after having it on tap and in a can.
This was awful because it instructs you to drink straight from the bottle. This gets rid of half the goodness of guinness right off the bat....What appearance?
It was not as creamy and not as drinkable.
Avoid the bottle. The tap is still the best. The can is nearly as good. The bottle is not worth it.

05-06-2006 04:46:50 | More by jwc215
PuckLSHS

Iowa

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

You know, maybe I just drank too much of this in college and have been devoting my time to other stouts since, but I just can't get back into this beer anymore.

The beauty of the pour is still a sight to see. Pouring a midnight black color with one of the most beautiful heads a beer could ever posses.

The smell and the taste match each other. Toffee/caramel/chocolate/coffee...you name it, it is the atypical stout. I think the reason I just can't get back into it is the bitterness at the end of the Guinness that is so common. The overly roasted flavor that leaves that lingering bitter malt flavor on my tongue. Ugh! Oh how I long to love that taste again.

The mouthfeel is a clean frothy smooth pull that is reminiscent of a great cup of espresso.

It's drinkability is average for me. I am just waiting to try one in Ireland, as I feel I will learn to appreciate it once again. For right now, a good pour of this brew is terribly hard to find.

05-04-2006 18:37:44 | More by PuckLSHS
ozzyfan97

North Dakota

4.75/5  rDev +36.1%

This has to be one of my favorite beers to enjoy on tap. For appearance (from tap) it has a nice chocolate coloration to it. Smell is very aromatic and enjoyable. (NOT really hoppy smell but mellow smell) As for taste it has a great coffee and chocolate taste to it and I find it to easier to drink around 55 degrees Farenheit. Mouthfeel well to be honest here I don't really notice any cause I down it quite fast. But drinkability slpendid very, very nice. It is a well made no well crafted beer. Enjoy!

05-03-2006 07:35:17 | More by ozzyfan97
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.