Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Drank this one tonight with dinner. I've had it hundreds of times in the past and this was the same basic experience. Nice dark taste. thick, falling head that settled into a wonderful "icing" as I drank it. My favorite thing about this beer is the low ABV while not sacrificing much to taste. It makes drinking a 6 pack of stout something you can do without becoming "that drunk guy" in the room.

wesleyhighley, Oct 10, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -7.4%

On tap at the local pub.

Waitress brings a beautiful, slowly cascading pour that develops into a thick, creamy, homogenous bone-colored head. Retention is near-perfect and good lacing is left behind. The body is seal brown and nearly opaque. Aroma is rather faint, with whiffs of smoked & roasted malts, vanilla, and some toffee.

The flavor is perhaps the weak part of Guinness. Despite being perhaps the epitome of its style, the taste is limited to weak notes of smoky malts, some carmel, and a touch of chocolate. Mouthfeel is great, however, with a creamy thick body that's quite refreshing. Not much of an aftertaste, however. Drinkability is hindered by its lack of complexity and thickness. Meal-in-a-pint. Overall, though, a pretty solid beer.

wagenvolks, Oct 10, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +14%

Cold 14.9 oz Ntiro-can of Guinness Draught dumped into US-size 16 oz pint glass. The beer expands to fill the glass and forms the beautiful cascading pattern of brown and black down the glass, leaving a medium dark tan head a couple of minutes, which seems like it could stand for days. As a rule I prefer Guinness in cans over Guinness in bottles by a wide margin, although draught is best; the Nitro-bottles just don't do anything for me, and I think they taste sour. For whatever it's worth, the bottle says this beer was brewed in Ireland. It also says to serve extra cold.

Getting back to the beer, there isn't much aroma coming off the cold stout, except a very slight toastiness. The head is thick and creamy and mild. It sips bitter and deep and more creamy. The flavor is pure and of toasted malt with hops that blend and balance perfectly. The flavor is utterly neutral with no strange contaminations of coffee or chocolate or caramel or treacle or freshly cut glass. The result is highly drinkable.

There are so many really great stouts out there that I forget how much I like Guinness. It's great too. I hope to review at the very least the nitro-bottle and tap versions for comparison, but I expect this measures up surprisingly well compared to the latter and much better than the former.

hreb, Oct 09, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%

Damn this beer. I give it another shot. Im a stout lover and this is in no way a stout to me. Its technically a stout but its not even close.

The appearance was the "best" part. It was dark with that classic ivory head. The head was small but it was visable. The smell was weak with no real distinct notes. The taste...left a lot to be desired. The mouthfeel was weak. Just a bit more fullness than water. It wasnt very drinkable either. Now I dont think its a bad keg considering all Guinness I've tried has been horrible. Funny thing was...the bar tender apologized for taking my mini-pitcher and said he would have wanted the last drops of his. (made me laugh)

Dont buy this beer.

iconoklaztor, Oct 02, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

As many others have noted- the appearance on this beer is really something to behold. I have been very, very impressed with the consistent perfect pour this beer offers. Kudos.
Smell and taste are of roasted almonds and coffee malts, dry and low on the hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel and drinkability are right on par for the style.

supercolter, Oct 01, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

A: I only give 5's to perfection and a pint of Guinness is sheer perfection. Had it off the tap and it was a beautiful black with that gorgeous tan cascading foam head. It just doesn't get better than a Guinness.

S: Faint, Smokey, roasted aroma.

T: As smooth as a beer comes. You really can't find a beer that tastes like this one. For sheer originality it deserves a 5.

M: Chocolatey and dry.

D: Nothing goes down smoother than a fresh pint of Guinness.

One of my favorite beers. It goes well with so many different meals or is great for just relaxing.

Amalak, Oct 01, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a glass from a can this one had a nice thick head very dark color was noticed as the beer settled. The scents I picked up were chocolate and cherry sort of a coffee feel. The taste was hardly there nothing to write home about but not to bad. It did go down smooth with just a slight hint of an aftertaste. I guess you could put more of these away for awhile depends on your stamina. I have heard so much about this beer I had to try it.

choyhosoi, Sep 29, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

330 ml nitro bottle.

A- Thick cream-coloured head of small nitro bubbles. Black colour with red highlights when held up to a light.

S- Nice coffee aroma. Hint of cream. Not very strong though.

T- Pleasant light flavoured stout. Nothing wrong with it but it lacks punch and complexity. One dimentional.

MF- Very smooth but I always consider Guinness to be too much on the light side.

D- Very drinkable. Could have one after the other, after the other...
This is a stout for the masses and a good introduction for those who are not used to the style and don't want to be put off my something too strong or "heavy".

JOaikido, Sep 27, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from 120z bottle with widget into english style pint glass. black with nice foamy head great cascade effect when first poured. Smell is pretty faint with cold coffee aroma. Taste creamy roasted coffee with burnt aftertaste. A little more watery than creamy but this beer is pretty easy to drink for a dark beer. Better from the tap.

sfoley333, Sep 27, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

It's about time I've sat down and reviewed this. I've had this from many different sources.

Poured from the nitro bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: Pours with that distinctive disturbance pattern within the body, where a caramel color is mixed with a darker, blackish color. The caramel swirls settle down, and leave just the dark color behind. There is a very healthy looking creamy head that seemingly never dissipates. When held up to the light, I see tinges of red, confirming the reports that this beer's color is actually "dark ruby." Overall, this beer always looks very good. It's very picturesque.

Smell: A mix of toffee and coffee are the main scents I detect on this brew. Subsequent sniffs reveal a malt character. The smell itself is not overwhelming, but it is a welcoming nose, like an old friend.

Taste: It has a light flavor of toasted malts and coffee overtones. The overall flavor has a creamy attribute, which finishes with a slight tinge of hopped bitterness. No, despite the hype, this is not the best beer ever. However, it is quite competent, and is a great change of pace from other beers. I like that it is light, but has that creamy, toffee flavor. It's reliable, and although it's tame, it's a sure fire pleaser when I need it.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light, given its color. There is really no carbonation to speak of either.

Drinkability: Given the light body, subdued flavor, and its creaminess, it's very easy to drink a lot of these. When at the bars, I often switch to this when I tire of whatever else we're drinking, as its easy on the stomach and on the tastebuds.

I know this beer is somewhat controversial here, and receives a lot of flack from fellow advocates for various reasons, but I can't help but like this brew. As I said, it's reliable and subtle, and is a great go-to beer when I'm out at a place with an otherwise poor selection. The hype is certainly overdone, and some of my friends worship this stuff (and the extra stout), but I'd be lying if I said I disliked this. To each their own.

Romulus141, Sep 24, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -15.5%

Okay, I just reviewed Guinness on tap, so this is just the comparison of that with the nitro-bottle version (I wish I had the can too, to complete my BA review of the Guinness Draught experience and move on to more important concerns, like Guinness Extra Stout).

I have to say, they did a nice job with the widget in preserving the look of Guinness. Apparently the proper way to pour it is to forgo any tilt of the glass and just dump it straight in -- don't fear, because of low carbonation levels, it won't overflow... Basically, near black, beautiful cascading, incredibly durable head, foamy lacing. Smells much like the Guinness on tap, (creamy coffee, roasted nuts and ale hops) but with an unpleasant metallic tinge. This flavor comes out on the palate as well, and the characteristic Guinness sourness is also stepped up (I wonder if they put more "spoiled" beer into the vats meant for bottling than into those to be kegged). Not nearly as good. Again, weak mouthfeel, somewhat less creamy than that on tap, but still, an easy drinking beer for sessioning or the end of the night.

jbsteiny, Sep 23, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Appearance: I didn't follow the directions and poured this into a pint glass. It gave the nice cascading foam appearance as from the tap. A pretty sight.

Smell: Light coffee, dark chocolate.

Taste: Moderate coffee bitterness, kind of creamy.

Mouthfeel: Very very thin.

Drinkability: The definition of sessionable. Light in body, not strong in alcohol, decent tasting.

Obtained a bunch of Guinness from family who bought it but decided "dark" beers weren't for them. Not a whole lot there in this beer, but it's a decent change-of-pace from my usual big IPA (at home) and Miller Lite (at softball).

Mdog, Sep 16, 2007

Serving Type: Today it's in a Nitro-Bottle(first time trying one of these bad boys)

Appearance: Still the same lovely look, a bit nicer of a head that lingers more and provides more lacing. Maybe because it's not in a chilled glass? The difference is amazing...looks perfect

Smell: Same lovely smell of toffee, chocolate, caramel. Still a touch weak though

Taste: Rich chocolate still shines through as does a light coffee taste that I didn't get out of the nitro-can. Light caramel and toffee still mixed throghout.

Mouthfeel: Light, smooth and creamy. Still great

Drinkability: Fantastic. Still great...the main difference from this and my other sample was the lovely head and plenty of lacing. Still a great beer I could enjoy all day

Edit: Editing my review after trying a few other Irish Stouts. Still a great Stout but a bit dryer/bitter than some of the others

livingregret, Sep 13, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Overrated beer at its finest. Unfortunately, the best part of this beer is its appearance. I could pour these all day...and then not drink them.

Smell is bits of coffee. Mostly unremarkable.

Taste is not that good. The first time I had a Guinness, I thought it was a pretty solid beer. After I had "real" beers, I had another Guinness and was not impressed. Tastes like it smells - like coffee lite. Aside from that, the taste, like the smell, is unremarkable

Mouthfeel is borderline watery.

Drinkability is not that below average since the beer is filling and not that tasty as it turns out.

Try the extra draught. It's much better.

jdubjacket, Sep 12, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a room temperature pub glass from an extra cold nitro-can.

Appearance- almost completely opaque dark brown with a creamy head that stays throughout. Vigorous, wonderfully cloudy carbonation activty throughout the glass. Beautiful.

Smell- Roasted coffee aromas

Taste- Smooth on the front with the coffee and dark roasted flavors present through a slightly hoppy finish

Mouthfeel- Creamy and thick, but smooth.

Drinkability- One of my favorite "standby" beers when not much else is available, it is easy to find- even in Mississippi.

usmittymc, Sep 11, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Well, I guess it's about time. For local bars, this is about as exotic an offering as I can get. Be it tap, bottle, or can, the pour is beautiful. You would be hard pressed to top a Guinness on appearance. I love to watch it settle. Head is creamy and feels good on my whiskers. Smell is neutral. There's nothing there. Taste is neutral. There's nothing there. I'm giving a mid score, becasue there is nothing offensive. It is just a tasteless beverage - nothing great, nothing bad.

Mouthfeel is perfect - smooth and creamy. Drinkability is insane. Low abv, plus a superb body and little to no taste equals a session beer I could drink by the gallon. It is what it is.

Onibubba, Sep 11, 2007
1.73/5  rDev -50.4%

The king of overhyped beers. I've had this before, but wanted to review it so I ordered it last night.

Appearance is the best part of it. Nice tan head, dark, opaque body. Almost no smell to speak of, except a wisp of smoky coffee. Very little taste either, and the mouthfeel is surprisingly thin. Some coffee, some smoke ... no real chocolate, fruit ... or anything, really.

Just a completely forgettable stout.

Overlord, Sep 10, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

What can I say, stouts are my favorite and Guinness is what started my obsession. The color is a wonderful, near completely black. The head is wonderful, creamy and foamy. It's lacing is fantastic, although the fact that I may drink it down pretty fast may have something to do with that. It's aroma is fantastic, deep and rich, the smell of rich dirt/loam after a heavy rain. I like to hold my pint and inhale deeply for a minute or two before enjoying its... taste, deep and rich, thick and creamy, chocolatey and loamy. All around wonderful!

JamesS, Sep 09, 2007
4.9/5  rDev +40.4%

What can I say? I'm a Guinness Girl, so I felt it fitting that my first review on Beer Advocate should be something that I'm very familiar with...

Appearance> Gorgeous ruby-black colour with a creamy (nitro-widget) head. The head is glossy with high retention and a champagne coloured shimmer that is mesmerizing.

Smell> Smells like home.. or where I wish home was, a large brewery. It is yeasty and biscuity, with a slight sweetness.

Taste>low bitterness, roasted sweetness, and a nice dry hang. Perfectly fits its style because, in my humble opinion, it IS the style.

Mouthfeel> Smooth, like buttah.

Drinkability> Easy to drink... Perhaps too easy. Personally, I have one almost daily... Hey! I'm a vegetarian, so I need my iron; lay off me! :) It's ' Good for You', and my granny has been prescribed it throughout her life, so I have to accept the claim... and the tasty dosage:)

1759Girl, Sep 06, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -9.7%

This is the first beer I think where my scores were all over the board. Let me break it down. Appearance was great, nice creamy, thick, almost tan head with those great Guinness bubbles. Nice and dark, when held to the light a hint of amber/ruby to it. Smell was not great, a little bland I thought. Smells a little of chocolate and coffee but nothing stands out. Taste is OK. Much like the smell, nothing stood out. Some chocolate and caramel, but somewhat bland. Mouthfeel was great. This had a fantastic smooth texture about it, very creamy sensation, low on the carbonation. And overall drinkability is OK. Easy to put a few of these away. This had its high notes, and low notes, a good beer though.

bunnyhustle, Sep 06, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -16%

16 ounce can bought from Ralph's supermarket

Not my favorite stout there is because of the blandness

Some people love it and always talk about the thick white head that it pours, but not impressive to me

Would like to try in Ireland because I heard it tastes ten times better there

Much rather have other stouts on the market

Floydster, Sep 03, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best stouts on the planet. I'm sure some smaller breweries have made better but to make that amount and have it still be so damn good is still amazing. My personal favorite is the head. i love the head of a Guinness. It's like cream almost just beautiful. This will most likely remain my all time favorite stout!

Limberg316, Aug 31, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +16%

I could drink this stuff all day. While the extra stout is closer to what I'd expect from this category, Guinness Draught is still a fine example. I could drink this stuff anytime of the day. From the bottle is pretty good, especially when poured into a tulip glass, but nothing beats Guinness from the tap. Genious!

Appearance: Pitch black with cascading bubbles, .5-.75 of an inch of creamy, thick, give-you-a-mustache head.

Smell: Chocolatey (sp?) and a little bit of coffee, sweet.

Taste: MMM... It tastes... like guinness. The draught is much more smooth than the extra stout, with a bit of a bite or alkaline taste on the back of the tongue after it goes down. Sweet and smooth...

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth. Not much to say about that.

Drinkability: Amazing. In the right bar with the right crowd and right music, I could easily swill 5+ pints of this stuff.

Delicious!

beerNdarts, Aug 31, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

12oz bottle but the nitro widget inside displaces the liquid to yield 11.2 ounces of beer. Pouring this beer produces the same cascading effect as the draft(nitro-tap) version at your local pub. Head is dense and creamy and lasts til the end of the glass. Smell and taste is creamy sweet with coffee and cocoa notes as well as a dark fruit fruitiness. Slight molasses and vanilla. Liquid is thinner and less carbonated than the tap version but the overall mouthfeel is still ok. Classic pub draft beer made to bring home or wherever and delivers just by popping a cap and pouring.

notes:The word stout does not appear anywhere on the label or packaging. Why is this? Packaging says to drink from the bottle. I did not do this because a big part of the experience is the dense creamy head. Also, the packaging says to serve ice cold. Really? Why on earth would you do that when most of the flavors will be hidden. Boy do I hate marketing poeple and the crap they come up with to try to appeal to the masses because I can't imagine the brewmaster suggesting an ice cold Guinness experience.

mshallah, Aug 30, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

I'm re-reviewing this tonight. Just had one at a restaraunt that I was at and I'm not sure but I think this was either maybe a flat keg or something..but I sure didn't enjoy this like I thought I would.

Pour came with a tan head and it doing it's thing cascading down the sides of the glass..(I will say this is probably one of the best parts of a Guinness on nitro..it's like beer eye candy). We all know what it tastes like and I'm not going over that part..what I will say was it was totally flat..no carbonation at all..it was like drinking a flat soda that had some buzz to it..boring..I had the SA Summer Ale before this...I should've stuck with it

meechum, Aug 30, 2007
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.