Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Gaisgeil

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%

Oh yes, good ol' Guinness, is it just me, or does it seem like Guinness from a bottle or can is just wrong somehow? I've always liked the tap version, it seems much more full and rich.

Anyhow, this one pours from a widget laden bottle giving the pint that classic Guinness nitro head. Creamy and very nice on the lips. Smell is okay, subdued, roasted malt and a bit of a bitter smell. Taste is... well, not what you'd expect it to be if you've only had it draft. Malty with a prevailing bitterness that trails into nothing, very little aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and surprising as if you just look at the pint, it looks like the perfect stout, thick and chewy, but no, disappointing.

I think I'll stay away from Guinness in this form, it just doesn't live up the name I don't think.

02-16-2005 01:26:13 | More by Gaisgeil
stjarnflikka

Sweden

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a very dark, reddish around the edges, beer with the very special Guinness foam that comes from the nitro, stays on top of the beer throughout drinking.

Smell is better than can version. Dark, roasted with clear dry and bitter traces. Somewhat malty but generally nice.

Taste is dark, roasted and malty. Its bitter with a dry malt touch to it, served a bit could to bring out all the taste though.

Guinness is guinness, whether or not you like it ;) This beer should be on tap, not on can or bottle. The only decent guinness on bottle is the foreign extra which taste even better than this one.

Still, Guinness is a classic.

02-14-2005 20:47:07 | More by stjarnflikka
mjc410

Vermont

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured from the nitro can into a snifter. By far the most beautiful beer I've ever seen. The only reason I avoid giving it a five is because of my inexperience. The body is utterly black, and it's amazing to see the wonderfully creamy tan head rise out of the liquid in the famous cascading effect. The width of the snifter allows the beer to spread out, forming a huge pool of miniscule tan buddles, almost too small to see.

Smell: Light, which belies it's dark character. Slight malts competing (and slightly beating out) slight hops.

Taste: Initial dark malts, including hints of coffee and chocolate. Nothing very pronounced, but very smooth. Hop bitterness comes in at the end in a perfect balance (that is, very light to match the malts)

Mouthfeel: Smooth, very thick and mouth-coating. Has a creamy element to it. The most satisfying stout I've had in terms of mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Superb! It's so smooth and has such a low ABV that it's no problem. It may not be very complex, but sometimes that's ok.

Notes: Like Corona, a geniously marketed import. Unlike Corona, Guinness has quality to back up the hype. I'd heard that Guinness was "like a meal." That is definitely not true. Although it is pretty thick, the calories and heaviness don't allow me to agree. 12 oz of Mountain Dew has 170 cal, while a Guinness has only 126. I drank 9 cans of this and a pint on my birthday, so it gets big points for drinkability.

02-11-2005 03:27:36 | More by mjc410
hero27

Had on-tap @ the Lava Lounge in Waterloo, Iowa..

I asked the bartender if their Guinness was on nitro-tap. He said it was regular Co2 but explained that it was a slow-pour tapper. He wasn't kidding... It took almost 3 minutes to completely fill the glass. When it got to me, it had the characteristic black color but not the dense, ultratight head that the nitro has. Still, a damn good looking beer nonetheless.

Same roasted aroma and taste that you'd expect from Guinness, creamy mouthfeel and smooth going down. I noticed that Guinness on nitro is more creamy and has a better mouthfeel and look thanks to the dense head, but felt that the nitro takes a little bit away from the taste. Still a great session beer and a great fallback on-tap if there's nothing better around.

02-09-2005 17:48:27 | More by hero27
theo871

Maine

3.2/5  rDev -8%

poured this from a nitro-can with the widget technology. Made a cool sputtering noise when I popped it open. Nice deep dark color with a large foamy head that stays throughout. Has an interesting flavor, almost a roasted taste. The mouthfeel is very smooth, and easy to drink. A decent session beer, but avoid the bottled form at all costs!

02-08-2005 21:10:36 | More by theo871
jasonpeckins32

1.65/5  rDev -52.6%

Poured from a bottle into a glass, this beer looks good at first. A very dark hue, just as close to black as I've maybe ever seen. The head is very thick and also a nice grayish-brown color. Yet after I tasted it, I realized that looks can be very decieving. This has got to be the most overrated beer I've ever tried. Extra thin and very watery-feeling, the taste leaves a lot to be desired. There is somewhat of a stout flavor, but it is scarce and just too watery. It is also missing carbonation, I mean there is NONE to speak of at all. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a 1/2 drank beer that gets shoved back into the fridge and then resorted to another 3 days later, only to find that its really not good anymore. Tastes old and way too flat. I was highly disappointed by this brew, as I expected something way more than what I tasted.

02-07-2005 04:05:48 | More by jasonpeckins32
whartontallboy

2.38/5  rDev -31.6%

Didn't think drinking straight from a plastic-coated bottle sounded like fun, so I poured this one into a pint glass. Head was a little disappointing for a nitro, but it's still dark black and looks like Guiness. Smell is burnt malt and coffee. I haven't had a Guiness since returning from the UK a few years ago, and maybe I've become a big-boy stout drinker since then, but the taste is way too weak for me. There are some flavors like roast malt and coffee in there, but it's so weak it feels like you've mixed a bigger stout with a glass of water. Bit of a watery taste in there as well. Mouthfeel is dry and thin. Really thin. Eating-disorder thin.

Overall: Eh. Widely available as a fall-back, but it's so watery that I can't imagine ever falling back to it.

02-07-2005 02:45:06 | More by whartontallboy
kosmoraios

Washington

2.68/5  rDev -23%

To me, guiness is the macrobrew of english stouts. It poured a deep black into my mug, with a tan head that lingered for quite some time. The smells are of chocolate and coffee, with that malt base. The taste is of malt, molasses, chocolate and coffee, with a bit of yeast and not a hint of hops coming through. Perhaps a bit of very dark bread, also. To me, the mouthfeel is almost milky, with not enough of the carbonation or pepperiness that I enjoy. For that reason, I find Guinness to not be a very drinkable ale. I do quite enjoy a good stout, but for some reason I am not very fond of Guinness. Perhaps it is because I have only had the American bottled version and the nitro can.

02-06-2005 03:00:58 | More by kosmoraios
sweetwaterman

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Guinness is one of my staple beers. One of the more famous imports, this is consumed by cubic meters in Irish pubs. It is nice and smooth, with the darker malts providing a nice flavor that is goes down soft as black velvet. The nitro rocket is a neat little touch, but be careful opening the bottles, sometimes they overflow a little. This makes a great session beer, espically with pub food such as shepard's pie or chili.

Respect beer? Brilliant!

02-01-2005 06:39:51 | More by sweetwaterman
CVC

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

Came in an 11.2 oz. nitro bottle; served in a pint glass.

For some reason I like this stuff more out of the nitro can. It looks better, smells better, and is more drinkable. The nitro bottle seems have a weaker cascading effect, a slightly weaker smell, and more bland taste. It does have a better mouthfeel though.

01-24-2005 20:26:53 | More by CVC
NEhophead

3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

11.2 fl oz bottle with the 'rocket widget'.
"Drink straight from the bottle"?, not today.

Creamy, dense coffee colored head that lasts until the last sip. A condensed sheet of lacing with above average strength. Black in colorwith a dull mahogany hue.

Light coffee aromatics. Also a faint mustiness. Not too much in terms of smell.

Creamy light chocolate and espresso. A very present dry-roasted malt character. Moderate, yet smooth bitterness leading to a very dry finish.

Medium bodied; incredibly smooth with almost no carbonation present.

Very drinkable in terms of lightness on the palate, but the nitro bottle is not doing it for me. A much better beer on tap is an understatement. Back in the day, this one opened my eyes to actual beer versus macro-light-crap. Not nearly as exciting as it once was for me, but still an old favorite. This serving type though is extremely unappealing.

01-23-2005 23:28:33 | More by NEhophead
bearrunner44

3.4/5  rDev -2.3%

Served on tap in the obligatory pint glass. When served properly, this is a glorious beer to look at. It's a very dark brown with a thick, creamy head. As I drank the beer, the sides of the glass were almost totally covered in foam. Between the color and the great lacing, this glass of Guinness is probably the best looking beer I've had so far. The taste is a letdown, though. The mouthfeel is very thin for a stout, and the aftertaste has a dry bitterness that seems artificial for some reason. Guinness is a nice alternative in places with a thin beer selection, but it's basically the Budweiser of the stout world.

01-23-2005 04:48:38 | More by bearrunner44
bark

Sweden

2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

The colour is black with a tint of very dark wine red. The finger-thick compact foam (peculiar for nitro-tap beer) is off-white.

The smell is really weak with some metallic notes and a touch of black coffee.

The carbonation is mild, yet quite fresh making it very drinkable.

The taste is much milder than I remember; there is a bitter-sour touch and a burned taste of coffee and rubber bands. The dry aftertaste got some notes of bitter hops and burned malt.

This might be the most famous of them all, but there are some far better dry stouts out there…

01-22-2005 23:28:56 | More by bark
Garin

Alberta (Canada)

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

A typical nitro pour, it is nonetheless quite beautiful to watch the cascading sheets of bubbles as the deep black stout is revealed and the thick creamy head forms on top. I'm a sucker for a good gimmick.

Roasty black burnt aromas make it through the head. Slightly sweet maltiness starts it all out, with a hint of acidity in the middle, and a somewhat acrid burnt finish with a little bitter. The mouthfeel is very light, with that nitro creaminess throughout. I get an appley character building as I get through the pint.

It's a nice quaffable stout, light and refreshing. Maybe it's not breaking any new ground, but it fits my idea of what a dry stout should be quite well. Why have I not reviewed until today?

Perhaps I'll have another and see if I like it just as much as a second time.

Yep, I do.

Serving type: can

01-21-2005 05:45:18 | More by Garin
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a near black with ruby hints and a creamy foam head. The lacing is good but not glass coating like other stouts on tap. The aroma is of subtle roasted barley with a little bit of sweet and sour in the background. The taste is very watery with some grainyness, roasted coffee and a slight astrigency in the back. chocolate notes and roasted barley bitterness have really been reduced in recent years. The mouthfeel is too watery with a fine soft fizz. This beer has definitely lost body in recent years.

Despite the watery nature of this beer, it is readily available and has some refreshing qualities. Good but not very good.

01-21-2005 01:27:07 | More by CAMRAhardliner
bultrey

3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

Jeez, how many times have I quaffed a Guinness? And I've yet to review it...
First off, the appearance of this beer trumps almost all others in existence. There's a reason -- it's a big selling point. The beautiful cascading head is pure art, that can't be denied.
There is not much of an aroma, a faint roasty coffee bitterness, and a musty smell, like a basement.
I think it has a very dry, slightly bitter, earthy flavor, with some minor notes of chocolate, and a strange sour twang that makes it a Guinness. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but not as full-bodied as the brewery would have you believe. The drinkability is relatively high -- it's a go-to session stout, and one can easily put away several pints in a night. This is what the entire Guinness empire is built upon.

01-13-2005 19:29:53 | More by bultrey
Illini5596

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Perhaps the most drinkable and pleasing of the commonly available beers on tap at most restaurants and bars. Guinness manages to be pretty consistant, with an excellent appearance, dark and thick, with a vigorous head and the wonderful nitro cascade. The smell is just average, having little in the way of distinctive aromas, just a basic stout smell and a little less fragrant than some of the better stouts. The taste is well above average, nothing to write home about and not as creamy as I like my stouts, but there is a distinctive flavor of hops that is pleasing. The mouthfull is good and full, what you would expect of a stout. A very drinkable beer. Pretty much my staple in bars that don't have large selections of "good" beers.

01-12-2005 17:39:35 | More by Illini5596
unit555

4.18/5  rDev +20.1%

Perhaps my fondness for this old friend clouds my judgement and raises the ranking but I do love to get nostalgic and revisit this stout. I always enjoy the warnigns to pour cold (as if the beer police will come for me if I dont).

The color and head were excellent. As usual, there was not much smell associated with the initial pour. The smooth feel in the mouth and the long finish are the best qualities and I find them to be superior in the can when compared to either of the bottled versions.

I know there are better stouts out there and I am told what we get in the states is a pale comparison to what you would find in Ireland but this will always remain a favorite.

01-11-2005 17:27:12 | More by unit555
SaucyJack

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

It's been a couple years since I've had a draught Guinness. I used to drink it religiously, but kind of lost the faith after I discovered American micros and craft imports.

But last night I found myself in Boston with some time to kill and stumbled onto an Irish pub in Allston -- sorry, can't remember the name -- and was immediately lured in by the sight of several pint of frothy Guinness coming over the bar. I ordered one for me, and I swear it took longer to pour than it did for me to drink. I wound up having three of them, and enjoyed it as much as I have any beer in recent memory.

I'm amazed at people who say that Guinness is 'too heavy,' or 'too strong.' This is one of the easiest beers in the world to drink, and at only about 4% alcohol, you can drink plenty of them.

Just a great beer.

01-08-2005 17:31:35 | More by SaucyJack
Jason

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

What Happened To My Guinness??!!??!!??

Appearance: Same great creamy looking head and leaves rings of lace all the way down ... the color is not as black as it used to be, its more of a very dark brown. Damn, I can see the bar light through the bottom of my pint!

Smell: Rusty water with some faint grain.

Taste: The tame roasted character is laughable, bitterness has been toned down and there is a mild cloying sweetness in the back.

Mouthfeel: Same nitro mouth feel but very, very thin and watery.

Drinkability: This beer has been dumbed down so much it is like drinking water. There are far better stouts than this.

This beer is an obvious victim of thinking about the $$$ and not the quality of the product.

There are rumors that the American product is kegged in the US from a combination of the "Essence of Guinness" (A product of Ireland) and the same malt base used in malternatives. I will find out the truth one day.

01-05-2005 13:09:17 | More by Jason
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Had on tap so many times I can't remember them all. Black as hell and red in the light with big whip cream looking white head. I don't think it really smells like much, sweet cream comes to mind though. Tastes a little malty with a hoppy bitterness and the creamiest and greatest mouthfeel of all time. Many has been the time I've knocked back pints in the double digits of this black brew. Highest drinkability of any beer beccause its so damned smooth. Definately my favourite easily accessible beer, not enough I can say about Guinness Draught except that I need to try it in Ireland.

I've decided I've become fed up with the increasing shittiness of Guinness on tap. Every time I have a pint it becomes more watery and disappointing.

01-05-2005 04:34:52 | More by Viggo
Sycodrummer

3.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured a 14.9oz. Nitro can into a British Imperial Pint Glass and it yeiled a dark near perfect black stout with a half-finer off-white head that was fed from the cascade and that lasted the entire length of the sample.

Smell was of dark caramel, nut, and coffee and it felt slightly less heavy on the palate than it does on tap. I little thin, certainly not watery but it left a weaker consistancy that I am used to on tap.

Taste also a little lacking from the tap. It was slightly more bitter but still lead to an enjoyable finish. Very dry to finish consistant with the style.

Very easy to drink. Although certainly not my favorite stout it makes a great classic fall back when the selection is nill and this is almost always a choice at most places in Boston both at the Bar and in the Store. It lacks a little in the nitro can as oppose to the tap, but still very easy to put a few of them down. IMO, a safe bet.

01-04-2005 19:24:29 | More by Sycodrummer
BeerBob

Nebraska

Guinness Draught pours a midnight red from a 11.2oz black plastic with cream white trim, covered glass bottle. Head goes to well over two fingers and after the nitro settles out, leaves a frothy cap, that stays for ever.

Nose is of damp charcoal and nitrogen, mixed with whiffs of alcohol. Palate is a hops bitter, tempered by the nitro, leaving me wanting more, but getting less.

This brew is all show and no go, give me the malts, give me the hops, and give me the alcohol, the quaff of nitro does not empress me in the least.

I want the stout!!!

I have stoped drinking this stuff, I can't really call it "Guinness" any more.

I am also re-reviewing this stuff... It's going to be all 1's... I have never given a beer all 1's before in my life!

I for one am tired of being exploited, I have been asked about boycotting before, but did not jump on the band wagon... this... this is sacrilege!

Just say no to "Guinness"

12-28-2004 04:28:46 | More by BeerBob
santoslhalper

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearence: The head melts so wonderfully into the brew. I'm blown away. A dark, dark brew with an almost-bleach head. Little lacing.

Smell: Smells like a stout to me!! Chocolate, coffee and more. Nothing really stands out though.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Water! This is coffee flavored water. I don't quite get it. This isn't a stout. No predominate flavors, and no strong mouthfeel. What's the big deal? Thank God I didn't pay for this. The mouthfeel is thin and watery.

Drinkability and Overall: This is a below average stout, that is nothing special. I've always heard this was a great "fallback" beer if nothing is available, but I disagree. Somehow I managed to skip this on my road to better beer, and I'm glad I did.

12-28-2004 03:28:29 | More by santoslhalper
mynie

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%

It looks like regular Guinness at a glance. Only almost no head and it's not nearly as opaque. Still, the bubbles going backwards are cool.

Smells like almost nothing. There's a nice roasted malt odor to be found but you got to search for it like its a goddamn easter egg.

This does not taste like any Guinness that I've ever had. Nutty, almost. There's a tiny bit of roasted malt up front, a little bit of bitterness at the back. It's too faint to be too complicated.

The mouthfeel is like fucking water. Ditch the widget, fellas. It ain't doing no good. I actually think this might be better straight out of the bottle.

I got this for Christmas. Thanks mom. It's ok, I guess. It came with a little mini CD ROM that shows those adorable little men from the commercials talking about famous plays in sports history. The disc was easily the best part of the package.

12-25-2004 02:59:58 | More by mynie
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.