Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,093 | Hads: 6,797
4.73/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer! It took me a long time to build up the courage to try this beer. Tried it for the first time at Bible study a few weeks ago. My faith has indeed been restored! (174 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a can into a 16 oz pint glass. Dark, deep amber-ebony color with a smooth thick head. Smells of malt. Tastes of roasted malt at first, slight bitter tinge of baking chocolate, watery but clean finish with notes of coffee. Light, watery mouthfeel, though thick foam head adds some creamy texture. Inoffensive, pleasant session stout and balanced. Best enjoyed on tap, of course. A pub classic with high nostalgia points. (The first pint I ever drank was this in Galway City, age fourteen.) (500 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

It's Guinness, the beer that got me into Stouts, and changed my beer game forever...the hell with crap ipa, and the bud lights of the world...browns, porters, and stouts are where its at! Hail Guinness for quality and flavor, and hail Nitro Stouts! (249 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

Very heavy, rich and creamy but not my type. I still can find it enjoyable on some occasions though. Feel like this beer will clearly have advocates and critics. (161 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +42.4%

Served from: 14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass.
Easily one of my all time favorites. Looks beautiful, with a nice thick head and dark coloration. Smells great too. The taste is a little watery, but it still tastes strongly of roasted coffee and chocolate. Reminds me of an iced mocha. Goes down very smooth. A classic. (321 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 14.9 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: this beer really sets the appearance standard for the style, pours black like my soul with cascading bubbles and a thick two-finger tan head, excellent retention and significant lacing, the carbonation is on the lighter side, perfection.

SMELL: roasted malt, coffee, smokey.

TASTE: the taste is initially smokey, roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate, a little watery, not overpowering.

PALATE: creamy with lighter carbonation.

OVERALL: this beer would have rated higher if not for the watery taste, it has a lot going for it but just does not quite hit the mark, still a very good stout, I like a more subtle tasting stout, I would have this again no problem. (779 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +40.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draught pour in a branded glass in my local village pub by a bartender rated 1st in the county and 3rd overall in the Guinness Central Florida Pour-Off 2 years running. Appearance is outstanding with a almost black body and creamy head that lasts all the way to the bottom with cascading bubbles until it settles down and she serves it. The aroma of sweet malt, roasted coffee and lastly the bitterness is perfect. The taste is a blend of tart and bitter with a smokey flavor (I like burnt-smokey alcoholic drinks). The feel is a rich cream giving way to a somewhat lighter than expected ending, overall a stout you can keep on drinking. (637 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Reviewed after the fact. Had this on st paddys. Haven't had one of these in a long while. And now they serve it in a new curvy glass? Blasphemy!

Anyway. It looked fabulous as always. The billowy silky smooth dark tan foam retained all the way down to the bottom of the glass. The beer is black and refuses any light to pass through. It smells carbonic and minerally, which sadly covered up any beer aroma for me. Nitro beers... It tasted better than I remember. The silky creaminess balanced nicely with the slightly bitter charred wood of the brew with espresso undertones. The deep burnt roast lingers long and very mildly sweet. I liked the rich creaminess. The lively epravescance keeps the creaminess at bay and keeps it from feeling like a milkshake. This beer was far better than I remember; I've sampled hundreds of other beers since the last. It's a good solid beer maybe 60-75 percentile. It's a good option at those crummy 5 beer restaurants that only serve this, a macro beer, macro beer light, a heffe, and a bad pale. (1,032 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well it's St Patrick's Day, and I would have preferred an Extra Stout, or Foreign Extra, but a can of Guinness Draught will do. It opens with a pop and a strange squeal from the hidden nitro widget. It resembles coffee with cream as it pours in to the trademark Guinness Perfect Pint glass. There's a beautiful cascade effect as the darker suds fight their way to the bottom. What's left when it's all said and done is a picture perfect pint. Deep, dark brown, nearly black, with ruby highlights where the light hits the base of the glass just right. The head is a solid inch of custard like foam, so densely packed that only a close examination reveals the miniscule bubbles. Dip your finger in to it and the impression remains, like icing on a cake. Guinness draught definitely has the look down. Perhaps one of the most appealing appearances of any beer out there. The aroma brings faint chocolate malts, black coffee and a little sourness on the nose. A hint of the roasted bitterness that is sure to come out in the flavor. Mild, yet characteristic of a dry Irish stout. The taste brings a bit of tartness, married with a nice bittering ash that creates a smoky, mild flavor. Lingering roast dominates the finish. Fairly simple, yet nuanced. Certainly on the thin, easy side of the spectrum. The mouthfeel is creamy and rich in the beginning, and then thin and watery as the nitro loses steam. Personally, I think it loses something in the draught flow cans. It's a novel concept that brings it to your fridge, but no substitute for the real draught Guinness on tap. That said, it's still a great example of the style. Simple, uncomplicated, accessible. A great beer to broaden your horizons with. (1,702 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

L- Nice and dark. Tan head.

S- Mild roastiness.

T- Mild roasty flavor, hint of chocolate, just seems watered down.

F- Okay feel, creamy.

O- overrated, but it's okay. (176 characters)

Such a beautiful beer but it lacks so much consistency from the can to the bottle to draft. Much better on tap over their cans with the co2 canisters. (150 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Has a nice look - black with a nice creamy/tan head.
Little to no smell.
Tastes very watery with some bitterness. I couldn't detect any flavors.
It feels chalky to my tongue with mild carbonation.
Overall it's an okay stout; however I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again. (277 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 4

I love this beer. It looks, smells, and tastes fantastic. With rich coffee and dark chocolate flavors, dark almost black color with a thick off white head. All of this comes together great, I just feel like it should be a little thicker. (237 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought this beer would be a lot stronger and have a more robust taste. However it want bad and ill drink it tonight to pay homage to st Patrick's day (152 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to score this one lower, it looks pretty impressive with a lava lamp type of current and a constant 1-2 finger froth. But I was expecting a more flavorful and thicker beer but it was so airy that it didn't feel like I was drinking anything. (245 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have always been told you haven't truly had a true Guinness until you have had one in Ireland. So today I had one at a pub in Dublin, and I have to say it was very similar to the versions I have had at Irish pubs in the US.

She's a beauty to look at for sure. This is a highly sessionable stout with a very light almost airy mouthfeel compared to other stouts. At this point I accept Guinness for what it is--a very well made and enjoyable beer that just doesn't have much going on in the aroma and taste departments. (523 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Opaque black color with a copper hue. Thick and creamy light brown 1 finger head lasting around 10 minutes and clinging to the glass. Powerful legs with a sexy pouring activity slowly revealing the foam.

Aromas and flavors of sweet smoky molasses, roasted coffee, cocoa and herbal spices. A little vinous with the smell of alcohol, almost metallic. Nice intensity and well balanced flavors, not too intense and having both sweetness and some sharpness.

Smooth creamy full body with pleasant carbonation. Balanced soft finish, slightly spicy and bitter dry mouth coat with a roasted coffee feel.

Overall : Very accessible classical craft. Great balance in flavors and well intensified with good freshness. (707 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

Taste isn't bad but it's thin like water. It's so awkward to drink cause you taste the totasted coffee flavors but the mouthfeel is awful. But I'm in PA where the bartender prbably didn't pour a "proper" Guinness. (213 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I loved this beer before I started drinking stouts. Now it serves as a go-to when there are no better options on draft. It's gorgeous to look at however. (155 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love Guinness. I know it isn't exciting, complex, interesting or even amazingly delicious, (especially compared to so many of the incredible beers that are brewed today) but I love it all the same. Maybe it's just the experience that comes with each glorious pint that I enjoy so much; Sitting down in a laid-back pub with friends, grinning like an idiot, just enjoying myself. For me, Guinness fills that perfect little niche between the crappy big-brand beers that you can mindlessly chug one after another, and the stupid-good craft brews that will put you on your ass after just a few. (591 characters)

This stout is thick and creamy with a roasted flavor to it. I judge other stouts based on Guinness and only a few of them have met the same level for me. This is an excellent beer to have after a long day of skiing next to a fireplace. (235 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -14.5%

3/3 (Draft Chicago Houlihans) - Dark pour with minimal texture or aroma. Very smooth pour, light taste and abv. Was a regular consumer as a teen, young adult, but moved on to stronger beers with a better taste. (210 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

This is my first Guinness i've had since becoming a fan of beer in general.
I don't remember enjoying it as I didn't care for beer at 17 anyhow.

Now that I'm a regular beer drinker I can now say that Guinness Draught (out of the bottle, in the US) is just a decently made stout. Nothing to write home about... but nothing to really complain about either.

But I think that is admirable as it makes it a "go to" when there is nothing else to choose from besides a Light beer or something. Therefore, I can see why it is definitely a "classic" in the same sense that Bass Ale is a classic along with Sam Adams lager and Sierra Nevada pale being "new classics." (659 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Guinness is the beer that breaks you in to a stout. It's also the go to beer when the bar has not much to offer. My only complaint is that it's on the weak side @ 4.2% but it remains a classic. (193 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

When I had my first pint of Guinness, I was 18 and drinking in a pub near the Tower of London. The barkeep smiled and assured me, "it's like black milk, lad." This is true comfort beer - lovely to look at, smooth in taste and mouthfeel, and a true "experience". As my palate has become more seasoned, I've found other beers more complex and tasty. For me, drinking Guinness is like remembering your first kiss. It's magic. (422 characters)

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.