Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,081 | Hads: 6,738
4.17/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 4

I love this beer. It looks, smells, and tastes fantastic. With rich coffee and dark chocolate flavors, dark almost black color with a thick off white head. All of this comes together great, I just feel like it should be a little thicker. (237 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I thought this beer would be a lot stronger and have a more robust taste. However it want bad and ill drink it tonight to pay homage to st Patrick's day (152 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had to score this one lower, it looks pretty impressive with a lava lamp type of current and a constant 1-2 finger froth. But I was expecting a more flavorful and thicker beer but it was so airy that it didn't feel like I was drinking anything. (245 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I have always been told you haven't truly had a true Guinness until you have had one in Ireland. So today I had one at a pub in Dublin, and I have to say it was very similar to the versions I have had at Irish pubs in the US.

She's a beauty to look at for sure. This is a highly sessionable stout with a very light almost airy mouthfeel compared to other stouts. At this point I accept Guinness for what it is--a very well made and enjoyable beer that just doesn't have much going on in the aroma and taste departments. (523 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Opaque black color with a copper hue. Thick and creamy light brown 1 finger head lasting around 10 minutes and clinging to the glass. Powerful legs with a sexy pouring activity slowly revealing the foam.

Aromas and flavors of sweet smoky molasses, roasted coffee, cocoa and herbal spices. A little vinous with the smell of alcohol, almost metallic. Nice intensity and well balanced flavors, not too intense and having both sweetness and some sharpness.

Smooth creamy full body with pleasant carbonation. Balanced soft finish, slightly spicy and bitter dry mouth coat with a roasted coffee feel.

Overall : Very accessible classical craft. Great balance in flavors and well intensified with good freshness. (707 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

Taste isn't bad but it's thin like water. It's so awkward to drink cause you taste the totasted coffee flavors but the mouthfeel is awful. But I'm in PA where the bartender prbably didn't pour a "proper" Guinness. (213 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I loved this beer before I started drinking stouts. Now it serves as a go-to when there are no better options on draft. It's gorgeous to look at however. (155 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love Guinness. I know it isn't exciting, complex, interesting or even amazingly delicious, (especially compared to so many of the incredible beers that are brewed today) but I love it all the same. Maybe it's just the experience that comes with each glorious pint that I enjoy so much; Sitting down in a laid-back pub with friends, grinning like an idiot, just enjoying myself. For me, Guinness fills that perfect little niche between the crappy big-brand beers that you can mindlessly chug one after another, and the stupid-good craft brews that will put you on your ass after just a few. (591 characters)

This stout is thick and creamy with a roasted flavor to it. I judge other stouts based on Guinness and only a few of them have met the same level for me. This is an excellent beer to have after a long day of skiing next to a fireplace. (235 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -14.5%

3/3 (Draft Chicago Houlihans) - Dark pour with minimal texture or aroma. Very smooth pour, light taste and abv. Was a regular consumer as a teen, young adult, but moved on to stronger beers with a better taste. (210 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -5.5%

This is my first Guinness i've had since becoming a fan of beer in general.
I don't remember enjoying it as I didn't care for beer at 17 anyhow.

Now that I'm a regular beer drinker I can now say that Guinness Draught (out of the bottle, in the US) is just a decently made stout. Nothing to write home about... but nothing to really complain about either.

But I think that is admirable as it makes it a "go to" when there is nothing else to choose from besides a Light beer or something. Therefore, I can see why it is definitely a "classic" in the same sense that Bass Ale is a classic along with Sam Adams lager and Sierra Nevada pale being "new classics." (659 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Guinness is the beer that breaks you in to a stout. It's also the go to beer when the bar has not much to offer. My only complaint is that it's on the weak side @ 4.2% but it remains a classic. (193 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

When I had my first pint of Guinness, I was 18 and drinking in a pub near the Tower of London. The barkeep smiled and assured me, "it's like black milk, lad." This is true comfort beer - lovely to look at, smooth in taste and mouthfeel, and a true "experience". As my palate has become more seasoned, I've found other beers more complex and tasty. For me, drinking Guinness is like remembering your first kiss. It's magic. (422 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From a 330 ml bottle into a snifter.

A-A normal pour produces just less than two fingers of grey-ish, light-tan head. The retention is pretty good and the head is creamy and dense. The beer is mostly black and opaque. No carbonation visible.

S-The aroma has a distinctive, almost lactic sugar note. There is a bit of dark fruit sweetness, some light roast flavor, but it is mostly watery and slightly astringent. Wet cardboard comes to mind.

T-The taste tracks the smell closely. I get a slightly metallic flavor, some vague watery bitterness, a bit of metallic malted grain, and a drying finish.

M-The carbonation is ultra creamy but the beer is lighter in heft with a watery aspect to it.

O-I am not one to rag on the other Guinness varieties, e.g., the Extra is pretty decent, but this version is a letdown. The look is right, but I could not get over the watery aspects of this beer-it smells watery, it tastes watery, and it feels watery. Oh well. (957 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured this into a Guinness glass, this one receives high marks with regards to appearance and smell. It's essentially black with a really nice off white creamy head, and smells of coffee with traces of chocolate. Taste and feel is a little lackluster in my opinion. It's a little too light bodied for my taste, but the coffee and roasted malt flavors are pretty tasty. (370 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -7.8%

Dry creamy feel. Subtle roasted malt aroma. Predominately pitch black but has some brown around the edge. Faint chalky feel. Rich tan head that leaves a handsome film on the glass. I can’t detect any negative characteristics. Clean finish with a mild tingle of sweetness occasionally. (286 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep brown-black, settles in the glass black, left a small light beige head after a gentle pour, leaves little to no lacing on the glass.

Smell has notes of oats and chocolate.

Taste follows the nose, malt and oats, with hint of chocolate. Bitterness at all, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I was not expecting such a light bodied beer, thin, watery, no perceptible alcohol. Creamy and smooth.

Not a terrible brew by any means, a very good go to if you don't have a decent selection on hand. (498 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +7.6%

This is one of those beers, either you like it or you don't. I love it. Very nice taste, you can really savor the flavor, especially when it's from the tap. Goes great with food too. Cheers. (194 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is a great go-to beer and is always in my fridge. What I like is that although it is a dark beer and very smoky, it is also very refreshing. I could never turn down a Guinness, goes well with seafood as well as steaks and stews... Also great to cook with, it makes stews a lot richer, smokier and toastier. Yesterday I made some chicken étouffée and added a can of the black stuff and came out fantastic! Cheers fellas!! (427 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It took a few pints of this thick rick heavy beer. The first time I had it, i could hardly drink it. Keep in mind my beer of choice then was Coors Light. It is a drastic difference from an American Lager to the stout beer AWESOME beer to make the transition from lagers, and and such. (287 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

Easy drinking stout that's reminiscent of chocolate milk but too watery for my taste. Its Guinness extra diluted but with some of the nice Guinness characteristics. (165 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Guinness Draught: my go to beer before the craft scene took off. It's the stout of which all other stouts are based off, with hints of chocolate, coffee and caramel and a fairly light body and light carbonation that goes down smooth. A perfect session beer that is best served on a nitrogen tap. (297 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -28.5%

Went back to it at Joe's Crab Shack as it's been years since I have had one. Not near as bold and thick as I remember. Still pours beautiful with a promising creamy malty smell but that's where it stops. Taste is very mild, actually smoother and less bold than a american adjacent lager and about as filling. Don't let the black color fool you its a very smooth and mild brew. (376 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -11%

All of my friends are obsessed with this beer and to be honest it was a good beer not a great beer. Nothing to write home about. I'll have another next winter when the snow is piling up and I need something heavy and warming. (226 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

11.2 oz. bottle from Trader Joe’s. Pours dark brown; turns black. Light tan to almost eggshell white head. Nose of mild yeast and malt. Taste of mild caramel roastiness, slightly grassy, a bit of dark chocolate with a little hop bitterness on the back end. It’s dry and light; tasty for what is essentially a light beer (323 characters)

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.