Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,521 | Reviews: 2,153
4.88/5  rDev +38.6%

One of my favorites! Because of it's low alcohol count I can have more than 2 pints without having that "buzz."

Delicious on tap...the can/bottle is okay if you are desperate, but the tap is where it is at...ONLY if the bartender pours it correctly.

Nicknamed "Blonde in a Black Dress" (by who knows who) Guinness is more than gimmicky paraphernalia.

4.83/5  rDev +37.2%

Very delicious. One of my favorite beers. Love the creamy head and mustache that I get from drinking it. The best way to enjoy a night out without worrying about too much alcohol at 4.2%. I hate when you go to a bar and they don't know the proper pouring technique for Guinness. Love the taste of my Guinness.

2.84/5  rDev -19.3%

Guinness Draught. 11.2 oz.

Appearance:
Great creamy tan head and a somewhat black body, with just a hint of tobacco-brown leather at the edges.

Smell:
Faint grain, smells flat and dead like old water. Not that appealing.

Taste:
Not as bitter as it should be -- some cloying sweetness towards the end. I used to like this?

Mouthfeel & Drinkability:
Watery and not very stout-like. Now that I know of alternatives, I will not be returning often.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Had this on-tap at a sports bar the other night, 4/03, when it was the best beer available. Reviewed from notes.

A-Served in a pint glass with that trademark dense brown head.

S-Roast and some sweet chocolate malt with a earthy hop note.

T-Follows the nose with some light roasted and chocolate malt.

M-Thin bodied and almost watery, but at the same time it coats your mouth and is very creamy. Carbonation is low.

D-This is an old favorite that I haven't had on-tap in a very long time. Very easy drinking and often the best choice at shitty bars that I find myself in from time to time. While it's not complex at all, it's not the swill that some make it out to be. A great gateway beer for many.

3.64/5  rDev +3.4%

Black color with huge creamy head of fluff. Leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass.

Not much in the nose. Some lightly roasted malt, not much else.

Light roasted malt here again, and not a whole lot else. Still enjoyable and easy to consume.

Creamy and smooth as can be. Pretty light on the body despite the feel.

Drinks really easy. Decent session beer that can be found seemingly everywhere. Lacks in much flavor, but still a pretty decent beer.

2.59/5  rDev -26.4%

A- Dark-brown, black color with small frothy head that lingers for a while.

S- Not very strong, typical coffee/chocolate/roasted dark malt smell but does not make itself stand out from other stouts.

T- What taste? Flavor reminds me most of water then of the stout that I wish was all there. I am a fan of big dark stouts, but this unfortunately does not qualify for me.

M- This is what I would expect of a beer of this type. Thick and full bodied beer with a smooth drinking experience.

D- Possibly a good session beer but I would personally not prefer it, nevertheless is a beer that can be drank all night

3.37/5  rDev -4.3%

Almost black but proves to be a very deep mahogany when held up to the light. Creamy, half-inch white head that remains. I've always loved how this beer looks after the pour, when it has finished cascading. Superb on appearance.
Smell is slightly smokey malts. Some cream and winter spices as well.
Taste is again slightly smokey malts up front, becoming a bit watery as it progresses. Finish is fairly lackluster, with little to note save some faint malts.
Mouthfeel is smooth, with a medium-light body. Low carbonaton.
Easy enough to drink, but I'd put a two can limit on this one.

3.84/5  rDev +9.1%

This is my "bread and butter beer" of which I always have a case on hand, and it fills this roll well. When I want a very interesting and complex beer, I'll go for a microbrew craft. But Guinness satiates my (daily) craving for stout amply.

LOOKS: Great lacing, nitro can has nice cascade in glass

SMELL: Nothing special about the smell, but also nothing bad

TASTE: Hey, quit saying this stuff doesn't taste good. It does! One of the smoother beers out there, goes right down the throat with its bready coca-cola goodness.

FEEL: Thick and pleasant texture.

DRINK: About 9 or 10 on a thirsty day, easy.

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in a Guinness glass, of course. Pours opaque black with that famous thick tan nitro head and lots of lacing. Head stays the whole time, can't beat it.

Aroma is disappointingly thin, with some roasted malt. Flavor is more bitter roasted malt and coffee with a creamy finish. Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than expected but still creamy. Overall doesn't stack up to its appearance. But still pretty drinkable.

4.06/5  rDev +15.3%

Can poured dark brown-black, lots of creamy bubbles in the body that slowly rise to the top to create a creamy thick meringue head on top of the dark beer.

Nice odor of chocolate and coffee

not too heavy taste with a nice lingering coffee feel

Basic stout that I think sets the above average drink. Thick, sweet with a slight taste of bitter to it.. I prefer it at 60 to 70 deg F, refrigerate for about 15 to 20 minutes and drink.

2.58/5  rDev -26.7%

Scored this on a move today.

Cascading brown pour leaves an opaque black beer and creamy white head in it's wake. Snowdrift lace and retention. Stouts can't look any better.

Smells like...nothing. Maybe a lil' lactic sour, a lil' bit roasty but I think I'm just projecting the way I remember Guinness rather than what I really smell. Tastes like a watered down Irish stout. To me Guinness has always been more about mouthfeel than actual flavor and this just proves my point.

My least favorite of the big 3 Irish stouts.

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 14.9 oz. nitro-can into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a jet black color. Has a large, creamy white head that never really dissipates. That nitro really adds to the appearance. Hopefully, the taste isn't affected too much.

Smell: Chocolaty and coffee-ish. Pretty typical stout territory here.

Taste: The flavor is honestly a little light here. I'm worried that the nitro might be adversely affecting the flavor here. I've encountered this before with other beers from nitro-cans, so it wasn't completely unexpected. What flavor is here is pretty much typical stout territory. Roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors pretty much dominate this beer.

Mouthfeel: This beer is pretty smooth and reasonably full-bodied.

Drinkability: This beer is pretty drinkable and I'd certainly have it again. I am worried about the effects of the nitro but it doesn't really take away from the drinkability. This beer is still worth a try and I'm sure I'll have it again at some point.

3.59/5  rDev +2%

A - Poured into a pint glass. Color is black, with a hint of dark ruby brown in the bottom when held up to the light. Wonderful cascading effect with the bubbles, and when they finally settle, theres about a half inch of thick creamy head with great retention, but not much lacing.

S - Subtle aromas of roasted barley and coffee, nothing too strong.

T - Follows the nose with the roasted notes of barley and coffee.

M - Medium to light body, low carbonation, smooth mouthfeel going down, perhaps a bit watery. Nice clean, dry finish.

D - Spot on for style. With the low abv, lighter body and clean finish, this makes a great session beer.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Almost ideal (for me)...dark dark brown to black with tan head that lasts throughout...when held to light it is beautiful.

S: Not this beer's strong suit...some due to nitro-can I am sure...faint nose of caramel

T: Roasted malts at back of the mouth...a lingering sweetness...with just enough bitterness to make you want more.

M: Water-like liquid mixes with the airy head to coat one's mouth like none other beer

D: For me near perfection...I perfect everyday beer...I love my ipa's and lagers but I will always have a special place in my heart for Guinness

2.32/5  rDev -34.1%

14.9 oz can, poured into a Guinness pint glass.

How odd that Guinness chooses not to produce an actual pint-sized can (like Murphy's)- it's weird pouring the beer into its branded glassware and not filling it all the way to the top. Anyway, the can does a pretty fair job at replicating the classic tap pour. The cascading's not as pretty, the head isn't dense and incredibly creamy, the lacing's not as impressive. Having said all that, it's still a fine-looking brew.

Smells and tastes like what started as a very good stout, but has been diluted. The aromas are pretty weak, nothing but a bit of burnt malt and a hint of sourness. What little roasted malt character exists to be savored is drowned out by an almost comically watery mouthfeel.

Is this seriously the same beverage that was my gateway into good beer drinking back in 1995? A poor example of the style, although I've been known to tip back a few for old times' sake now and then.

3.91/5  rDev +11.1%

This one came from a draft bottle and went into a blue clay mug. We all know what this beer looks like and I appreciate the appearance as much as the next guy but had no good glass choices.

Smell of this beer is metallic and roasted malts. Not overpowering by any means.

Taste is Guinness. It is a bit sweet but mostly tangy and light and a bit metallic.

The mouthfeel is great and smooth.

This is among the most drinkable beers I have ever had, consistently.

Slainte!

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a "nitro-can" into a Guinness pint glass
Dark brown/black in color, with a beautiful "reverse carbonation" cascading effect, that leaves a moderate, off-white, creamy head of foam. The iconic "pint".
Aroma-faint coffee and dark chocolate notes
Taste-Super creamy,coffee, peat, subtle earth and smoke notes, leading to a dry finish.
Overall, there are other more flavorful stouts out there to be sure, but Guinness is very drinkable and a beauty to behold if poured correctly. A classic.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this beer from a nitro-can. It's decent, not my favorite beer in the world but I do like it. Very smooth from the can, not a great deal of flavor. It is what it is. I recently had Murphy's from a nitro-can and I think I may like that one even more. If you're looking for an Irish beer, you have to start with Guinness.

2.69/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Nitro-tap at Annie Bailey's in imperial pint glass.
It's been awhile since I've had a Guiness so I guess St. Patrick's Day is a good time to get reaquainted. It was served to me already settled with no cascading effect. Maybe the nitrogen is turned down. Not exactly sure how that works. Still had a big creamy head that sticks to the sides like crazy. Smell? Not much to report. A little bit of roasted grain, maybe. Taste? Much of the same. What happened? Did they water this down? I can't believe that my palate evolved that much in only a year or two that a beer that I once loved now tastes so bland. Either way, I'm less than impressed. I guess a plus side is it's easy to drink and low on calories.

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%

11.2 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: This has to be the pretties beer of all time....Pitch black beer with a fingers worth of off white creamy head. The Beautiful cascade as it's being poured is wonderful to watch... The head settles to a 1/2 a finger layer and stays there... Lacing, hell the foam sticks to the sides of the glass all the way down.

S: Sweet toasted malt, toffee or caramel, little chocolate and hint of coffe.

T: Same as the nose, but all the flavors are a little on the flat side.

M: Not as creamy as I would have liked. Mid to light bodied.... Not as think as I remembered. Carbonation was a little sharp.

D: This the beer you can drink lots and lots of... it is the staple of Irish Dry Stout.... Have I had better.... Yes, but this is easy to find get and enjoy.

I've had a million of these but never sat down to review it. Did not mark as high as I had expected... But it is the beer that moved me to try other things... So for that I'm great-full... Thank you St. James Gate.

3.81/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours opaque black with a 1 inch creamy tan head that lasts for a lifetime after the cascading brown bubbles stop and settle; great looking stout that sets the standard for stout looks with great lacing that leaves thick rings. Guinness is always impressive to look at when it poured properly from a tap.

Smells of roasted malt, toast, coffee and faint yeast. Basically it's an all malt aroma.

Tastes of roasted malt, light hops, caramel, some burnt wood, coffee, grains and it has hint of hop bitterness. Taste is dominated by the malts, which is very nice with a fine combo of roasted and chocolate malts.

Mouthfeel is extremely creamy, with very, very light carbonation; this beer goes down like a milkshake with a dry bitter finish.

A tasty classic that is best on tap, but good from the can and bottle. Guinness is always known as the standard for stouts, and while I find this beer extremely drinkable and always enjoyable, the reality is that the taste is only average.

3.22/5  rDev -8.5%

The cascade looks great and not much else looks remotely like it. The frothy top sticks around for the duration and coats the glass on the way down.

The smell is nothing remarkable, a bit toasty/roasted, but no strong aromas.

The taste is roasted, with bitter cocoa, and coffee. A slight acidic bite on the finish. The feel is a bit thin, it is a drinkable beer.

Overall, as much as I want to like this beer as much as I did when I first had it, it just does not seem the same as I remember. It's like a bland, dull version of what I knew.

2.56/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Lightly toasted aroma wafts upward when poured, as the widget does its stuff and releases the nitrogen. The typical ultra smooth, creamy head erupts and remains at least a half-finger high until finished. Pasteurized and filtered, the liquid emerging after the foaming subsides is quite clean with a very dark ruby-red color.

Flavor is somewhat thin and watery in the mouth with just a hint of malt and hops, especially compared to the Guinness Extra Stout poured next to it, as an experiment in Irish imbibing on this St. Patrick's day. The bottle text urging "serve extra cold" and "drink straight from the bottle", is a tip off that this brew is aimed at the mass market, not true beer hounds.

Yes, it's drinkable, but not nearly as much so as the Extra Stout, which, even though this one was brewed in Canada, is at least a head above the Irish-brewed Draught.

3.52/5  rDev 0%

Had on draft for St. Patrick's day. The appearance is great. It's a dark brown/black color with a bit of red showing on the edges. The creamy head looks great on the glass, and has a thick texture. Clumps of lace stick on the glass.

The aroma is very thin with just a touch of burnt roast, some fruitiness, and toasted grains. The taste is delicate as well with just a little bit of roast and weak coffee. Slight mineral, rust like flavor. Bitterness is solid for such a thin beer. All the flavors taste a bit thin, even for a dry stout.

The mouthfeel is slightly watery and thin with a very dry finish. The nitro head creates a creamy sensation with each sip. The carbonation is very low. Overall, it's a bit lifeless, but I'm usually not a fan of nitro pours. Drinkability is the main feature of this beer. It's meant to be enjoyed in multiples, and the low alcohol content and thin body helps that cause.

2.72/5  rDev -22.7%

Don't really feel like writing a full review for Guinness...1.) Because everybody knows what it tastes like and 2.) I'm only gonna drink it on St. Patrick's Day anyway because IT SUCKS!

The only good thing about Guinness?? The cool cascading head if you pour it right...that and it's $2 cheaper per six pack on March 17th!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.