Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev 0%

Nitro can poured in standard pint glass. Beautiful beer - black with 1 finger cream head that does not diminish one iota and how can you not like the reverse cascading effect. Decent lacing all the way down. Has a kind of a vanilla smell to me but my nose is terrible. With the way the beer looks you just want to be floored by the taste but it just doesn't quite work out...hint of coffee, smoke and slightly metallic, ok but doesn't fit the appearance. Mouthfeel - I love the shake like feel of Guinness. If Sam Adam's Cream Stout had a mouthfeel like this I'd drink nothing else. Takes me a while to drink Guinness because I like to swirl every swig around for a while. Drinkability is solid for me due to mouthfeel and low alcohol content.

Kingdom4aPint, Feb 08, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

What can I say? I love watching a fresh poured nitro-pushed Guinness 'cook' in front of me. There just doesn't seem to be anything else that makes that kind of impression.

The smell is, well mostly average, but there is a nice light coffee aroma present. The taste is good. It's, well, Guinness. Dark and chewy, with a drier coffee overtone and a bit of a dry finish. It's sort of the generic standard for me - the baseline to compare other stouts and porters against.

Mouthfeel is good, fairly chewy, and smooth to drink. It's the standard I defer to when there isn't much of a selection available. There are certainly other favorite dark beers out there but Guinness is always a 'safe' choice.

SIRIUS2, Feb 08, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

Dallas, TX. Bottled. Well the famous Guinness that I have a love-hate relationship with. Really enjoyed visiting the factory, but the ones at the American supermarkets are different. Not a big fan of the aroma, heavyToasted/roasted smell with light yeasty undertones. Appearence is beautiful and well planned. Intial head is smaller than the final head which is nearly milkey. The head is off white and ALWAYS have a fingerwidth tall. Dark dark color, beautiful. Flabor is of roasted coffee with hardly any initial flavor. Finish is average with salty/sour taste. Texture was extremely extremely watery with nearly flat carbonation. Non descript finish-feel. Good, but better closer to the source.

BMan1113VR, Feb 07, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

A good old nitro can of Guinness.

This beer has the most classic pour in the world. The cascade was fast, beautiful and entrancing. It's also super smooth on the palate and goes down effortlessly. But a tad thin.

But, the odor has more sourness than desired and the roast character is a little lacking. It's there but not up front. These qualities follow through into the flavor too. It's a classic beer but I prefer Beamish or Murphy's for a more pleasing dry stout experience.

beersabound, Feb 06, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

A - The beer appears just like anyone would think. It came in a deep black shade with plenty of light brown head to go around.

S - The taste makes me think of lighter chocolate and mid level coffee.

T - The taste of creamy almonds first come to mind. Next the taste of chocolate came to my mind.

M- The thing about the mouth feel is the fact that it is so thick at times that it feels like i am drinking a milkshake. I love my stouts but at times this one was quite thicker then average.

D - This is one of those beer that is cool to sit at a bar, catch up with an old friend or new friend and just hang out and drink.

spiffysamurai, Feb 05, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -44.3%

Appearance: horrible bottle. You can't see the beer due to a plastic cover. Nearly opaque black colour. The head is medium tan, moderately low and dense. May not be long-lasting but presents a fair amount of lacing.
Aroma: weak in general. Roasted coffee and toasted malts.
Taste: confirms the aroma plus some herbal hops.
Mouthfeel: dry, low carbonation and average alcohol strength. Watery, thin and diluted.
Finish: long bitter-burnt aftertaste.

Overall: extremely watery. Very different from the tap Guinness I know (I specially missed the creamy character of the tap version). Poor substitute to the original stuff. If you are looking for a Guinness in a bottle try the "Guinness Special Export Stout". Now that is a beer!

AlexLMS, Feb 02, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I like this much better out of the nitro can or the nitro bottle lately. It's tasted very watery on tap lately.

Watching the bubbles rise from the bottom turing the beer from tan to black is beautiful. It definitely is an experience drinking this beer.

I think Guinness is better than it has been rated by some lately. I'm sure there are better stouts out there but this is such a classic.

MrIncognito, Feb 01, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

There are definitely two types of Guinness I've experienced. The creamy/smooth/rich one that I can and have drank for years, or the rusty/copper/lead tasting one which is a result of a bad pour/tap and/or being served in a dirty or improper glass. This review is solely based on the former, b/c to get the true Guinness taste, you need to get it on tap, at a bar that cares about their Guinness, and knows how to pour it properly...

A - bold dark color and once the cascade settles from the nitrogen tap, it forms a near perfect creamy head, just a shade off-white. i've yet to see a beer that is as visually pleasing as a properly poured Guinness.

S - very roasty malts with hints of caramel and can be a bit nutty at times.

T - the first taste are the hints of caramel, mainly from the creamy head, and it finishes with the roasty malts. near perfect balance of flavors. the more you drink in a sitting the more your palate adjusts to the flavors, as my last Guinness of the night always seems to be the best.

M - the beer definitely has a heavy feel, as some jokingly refer to it as "drinking a loaf of bread", it's not heavy to the point of being chewy like other stouts can be, but compared to lagers and most other styles it has a lot of texture and weight to it's feel. it's very smooth and creamy, reminiscent of a rich latte, pending that latte was chilled, of course.

D - overall it's a great beer and used to be my favorite, but as I've broadened my consumption to Belgian styles and domestic crafts, Guinness is starting to move down my list as a favorite. Regardless, it's an exceptional beer and usually a mainstay at many watering holes, which is a nice alternative to the American lagers that I need not mention. Though, I would avoid "chancing" this beer and order it only when you know the bar and bartenders care about the way they serve it.

SaintNathaniel, Jan 31, 2008

Guinness Draught is the most average stout that I've ever tasted. There simply isn't a lot to tell about it. To be perfectly honest, the only reason I drank it was due to a friend of mine making an error at the liquor store.

1. Serving Type- I'm not a big fan of the plastic coating on the bottle. It makes the bottle itself feel strange.
2. Appearance- Ever so slightly lighter than it's Extra Stout counterpart, Guinness Draught's appearance is similar to any stout. Nothing too special, but nothing to complain about.
3. Smell- A less pungent roasted malt aroma than most stouts, but still has a way of lingering in your nasal cavity. Again, nothing special, but nothing problematic.
4. Mouthfeel- Not nearly as full as I would prefer, but has the essential "motor oil" feel to it. Still not worth any note.
5. Drinkability- Honestly, I wouldn't care to drink more than a few of these. It simply isn't pleasing enough to warrant the full stomach.

This beer is solidly average. I'm sure one could find much worse examples, but finding a better one doesn't take much thought. I'd have to imagine that Guinness Draught would be much better in a pub atmosphere out of a tap.

Iheartstouts, Jan 25, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance - Black with hints of brown at the edges if held to the light. A dense white head of small white bubbles from the nitrogen pump.

Aroma - Weak, roasted malt and an odd metallic tinge that is only noticeable in the first pint (and disappears along with your taste perception after a session).

Taste - Mild burnt and roasted malts, bitter coffee and a finish with more burnt malt and bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and "milky" in its texture, a dryness present in the aftertaste, reminiscent of the aftertaste from a strong cup of black tea.

Overall - Despite having this beer more times than I can remember (my unenlightened days at uni were spent solely on this), I choose to review this pint because it tasted particularly good. Guinness doesnt have much taste and certainly not aroma but something can be said about the importance of mouthfeel because thats the reason I used to drink it. And Im sure the reason why so many people still drink it. I think that mouthfeel is the most important attribute to the sense of "moreishness," and thats where guinness' strength is. Despite my dislike of beers which represent all thats bad about big business breweries, if Im confronted by a row of commercial lagers with this one exception, I would have to say that I would always go for a guinness.

DaveUK, Jan 23, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -2%

A- Creamy head that refuses to fade, perched atop cascading darkness.

S- Heavily roasted malts reminiscent of burnt toast. There is a hint of diary like aroma that makes for an overall plesant smell.

T- Extremely well balanced and tasty. This is achived by "playing it safe". Altough good theres nothing special here.

M- A little thin on the take, gets better as it warms up though.

D- St. Patty's Day... C'mon

True there are better stouts out there but its a freakin classic. Best of all it has an availability rivaled only by BMC.

Pauly2X, Jan 23, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +33.7%

By far my favorite beer. I truly enjoy the rich coffee flavor from the roasted barley. A wonderful carmel flavour from the creamy head. The great bitters finish. On occasion I have had it poured in the wrong glass (I found out that there are two styles of Guinness glasses available) and it does ruin the beer.

jaz58, Jan 22, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +0.9%

I was all over the board in scoring this classic, which explains why I wouldn't turn one down, but wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to order one either.

Starts w/the unmistaken sound of the nitro-can opening, which still to this day, scares me into thinking that it's about to overflow out of the can. And of course the very cool cascading bubbles which build the creamy tan head, which dutifully hangs out for the duration of the beer.

Has a slightly nutty and sweet smell, but is hampered by a metallic twang as well.

Taste is of a light chocolate coffee, with a shot of caramel sweetness as well.

Mouthfeel starts somewhat creamy, but finishes thin, with some watery aluminum aftertaste. This is probably my least favorite part of Guinness. I should try the bottles to see if this is different.

Virtually no aftertaste, and with the low alcohol content, combines to make a pretty darn good session beer.

BeerImmediately, Jan 20, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +10%

Appearence - Almost black, more of a dark dark red/brown, reddish tints around the edge, very fine thick head. I wish it was a little blacker and had more head, but that's the can's fault.

Smell - Very slight metallic/burn cigarette undertones

Taste - It's arguably the standard modern day stout (although the Extra Stout may be better, but I haven't had that in a while so I can't really compare). Very smooth, straight black coffee taste, although it does taste kinda thin/runny/watery. I wish it were a little bit more robust like Sam Adams Cream Stout or Sierra Nevada Stout.

Mouthfeel - Little carbonation so it's easy to drink. I wish it has more alcohol.

Drinkability - I love stouts. People think I'm crazy when I tell them that I think it's somewhat thin tasting because lots of people think it's like a "meal in a bottle" but I don't buy that. I need to do a side by side comparison of this and Guinness Extra Stout, but I think that the Extra Stout is more up my alley. Also, I really wish Guinness used true 16 ounce cans and 12 ounce bottles. This 14.9 ounce/11.2 ounce business is just lame.

Jameson480, Jan 18, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Nitro-can poured into a tankard

Beautiful. I am a huge fan of the way a Guinness looks. Big thick bone white head, ink black body. Decent lacing.

Smells of sweet chocolate and roasted malts.

Rather watery for a stout. Dry. Not a big palate here.

Creamy.

Low in alcohol + creamy= good drinkability

Come on, we all know Guinness. It's the other gateway beer next to Sierra. It's good for what it is trying to do. Not a special stout by any means, but come on, it's Guinness.

ColForbinBC, Jan 18, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -20%

"Twok! Hisss!" and we're off to the nitro can races. Dead-sexy reverse-cascading, cream colored head sits one finger high atop a black body. At least it looks good.

Past criticism that the nitro can product carries with it a metallic odor seems well founded. It's not awful and doesn't completely blot out a fair degree of caramel sweetness. Still, it ends up smelling a bit like drain water after a while.

A moderate degree of roasty bitterness kicks off a decent into complete wateriness. A lingering hop/metal bitterness finishes. I'm at a loss; there's almost nothing else to describe about this beer.

Mouthfeel misses creaminess and heads straight toward water. Smooth, but so is what comes out of my Britta. I could drink a bunch of this but why would I?

OK, I was a little annoyed after reading the Bros.'s reviews of this brew as they seemed harsh just for the sake of "oh, if you had it in Dublin" or "it used to be better" and the like. However, it's true, this has been dumbed down a good deal from what I remember cutting my beer teeth on from the tap. Not worth a purchase, especially with so many more American craft breweries attempting the dry Irish style (3F's Black Sun, anyone?).

malcontent, Jan 17, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +10%

The version of Guinness we get here is definitely light on the smell and taste. Only a hint of roasted barley flavor is apparent. However, the appearance, with jet black body and thick head, and the creamy milkshake taste are what makes this beer so enjoyable for me. Combined with the relatively low alcohol content, this is a very chuggable session beer that I can always depend on when I'm somewhere that doesn't serve craft beer.

HardcoreKeith, Jan 16, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

Decided it was time to review this classic following recent encounters with perfectly kept kegs in Ireland and a good irish social club in South Harrow, North-west London.

Firstly, I dont know if the nitro can should be listed alongside the on-tap version, because they are completely different, as the on tap version is far superior than the widget-can.

Anyway, if kept well, the pour is the classic we have all come to know and love. The smell is limited to a mild roasted flavour. All I can say about the taste is that it is distinctively that of Guinness, except when the quality of serving/keeping is lower and bitterness starts to overwhelm. A good draught Guinness should be smooth, nicely flavoured and not bitter - and dead easy to drink.

foles, Jan 16, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +20%

There's nothing better the watching the creamy head foam on a Guinness. Smell has roasted malty aromas. Could be a little stronger though. Goes down extremely smooth, with light carbonation and much more bitterness than I remember. The malts and hops are very well balanced. This is one great beer and shouldn't be put down just because it's one the big boys.

DrainBamage, Jan 16, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

The bottle says this is supposed to be consumed directly from the bottle, so I did that. I only poured a bit into a glass to evaluate the appearance. It is nice and dark, but not black. Light does penetrate and it is more of a dark brown body. The aroma isn't strong at all. A touch of roasted malt is pretty much it. The taste is decent, but could use a bit more punch to it. There is a touch of roasted malt again and maybe a hint of coffee, but it is pretty thin. The body is as thin as the taste. I can't believe I used to think of this as heavy bodied. This is however, one of the most quaffable darker beers out there. There is something to be said for that.

drseamus, Jan 15, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Haven't had one of these in a good while. Ordered this from a nitro-tap. Very interesting show before all was said and done with foam rising to the top from the bottom. Eventually, it became a dark black with a finger thick head that was the color of the inside of a Whopper (the candy, not the burger). Decent lacing. However, the line where the drink itself and the head meet looked synthetically straight. Kind of took a lot of the soul out for me. Smell is kind of weak, but rather sweet-smelling. Taste is rather weak, especially for something labeled as a stout. Mildly sweet malts. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, but closer to the consistency of water. Easily sessionable, but I would rather move on to bigger and better things. Sadly, this is often the best thing available at many locations.

atrus138, Jan 14, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

Was actually my first time that I've ever had this world-renowned, popular brew... Sampled it on draft at Legal Sea Foods in Short Hills, and to be honest, I can't understand what all the hype is behind this one... Although I was pretty impressed with the dual-color, dark, tan appearance, it basically went down-hill from there... a basically average, dry stout smell that wasn't too appealing led to a bitter and uninviting taste that had an even more astringent after-taste... Oily, slick mouthfeel and too bitter to be a drinkable brew in my opinion... Glad I tried it, but won't ever again...

dsa7783, Jan 14, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +0.9%

From a widget can.

Guinness, been around 100+ years. What observation could a lowly drinker like me have that would add to the pantheon of knowledge about this beer?

Just this: I've had a fair number of well-reviewed stouts. Yes, Old Rasputin, Mikkeller Black Hole, Stone Imperial, and Big Bear are all more impressive stouts, pushing the envelope in terms of taste and ABV.

But sometimes you want something that is more quaffable, that can be enjoyed without concentration, that doesn't have so much character that it demands your attention. And for that, good ole Guinness in a widget can serves just fine.

It can compare to the real draught version, but what beer does? And given that it's widely available, it's a heckuva a lot better option than Heineken or, arguably, Sam Adams.

watchnerd, Jan 14, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

Cliché, but not necessarily bad. I know the cool thing now is to be anti-establishment to the point of exhaustion. But for the most part, Guinness lives up to the hype.

It looks great, keeps a nice foam head, smooth texture and taste, and goes down easy. My only complaint would be what I describe as an overly fluffy feeling in it. Sometimes, if it's too cold, I feel like I'm drinking heavy water.

Solid beer. Not exceptional, but worth buying every now and then. But if you're a nonconformist conformist and don't drink it because it's popular, it's only your loss.

ElGrecoVerde, Jan 10, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +12.9%

A- The classic guinness appearance. Black as night with a creamy 2 finger head that produces custard like lacing!

S- Some roasted coffee malts, a little peat?

T- Roasted bitterness of the malt dominates of course, lingers on the tongue before finishing abruptly. Slight nuttiness in the aftertaste.

M- Full bodied, low carbonation and creamy

D- Very easy to drink. In my early days of drinking, i always felt guinness was so overpoweringly bitter. After tasting a variety of stouts now, its amazingly bland. Fantastically easy to drink and aesthetically a masterpiece, but a real lightweight in flavour now for me.

seanyfo, Jan 07, 2008
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.