Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,518 | Reviews: 2,151
3.29/5  rDev -6.5%

16oz. can poured into a pint...

By far the most visually appearing pour there is...black with that famous toffee colored beautiful cascading effect, two fingers of soft white head from and lasts throughout the drink leaving some lacing behind as it goes...

Smell is definitely roasted malts with some burnt coffee, a bit of sweetness pokes through with some dark fruits, maybe a bit of fig, but mostly a bitter, coffee-like aroma...

Very watery thin taste, some bitter watered down coffee and burnt toast...very lacking in the flavor department...for such a dark creamy beautiful pour, this one is really false advertisement in a glass...not what you would expect at all...

Thin and very watery on the tongue, little to no tingle from carbonation, no alcohol presence...

While I do believe this is the best looking beer (during pour) there is, there is really no redeeming value to this brew past the visual aesthetics...

2.76/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not like Guinness from a tap. Very sweet and thin tasting. Flavors of copper, milk chocolate and light brown sugar. Foamy thin carbonation and an unpleasant aftertaste of bitter prunes. Looks like Guinness, sort of smells like Guinness, but tastes "off" and is not an accurate representation of Guinness Stout. The cans are somehow 14.9 ounces, but priced more expensive than other pints. I'm just not sure the "nitro can" idea really works. The thin, flat character of this brew is pretty unacceptable. Why exactly do they sell this and sully the good name of this venerable brand? I'll avoid this variation on Guinness in the future.

4.11/5  rDev +16.8%

Presentation: Sitting at McKibbin's Irish pub on St. Laurent in Montreal while listening to a live band play basket case and in my hand is a gorgeous guinness on tap.

Appearance: When i judge how a beer look i use Guinness on tap as what i base everything on. I believe this to be the best looking beer in the world
Smell: Smell like roasted barely and a hint of coffee.
Taste: Its does not taste bad at all. It is a little watery but overall it has a really good flavor. Kind of a mellow coffee flavor that seems to taste good no matter what you are pairing it with.
Mouthfeel: Perfectly smooth
Drinkability: I could have a twenty of these

3.46/5  rDev -1.7%

A: After popping open the can and pouring into a pint glass, I let the beer settle to a black color with no light coming through and a creamy tan head.

S: Smell is of deep roasted malt and burnt malt, a bit of weak coffee and cream, and an ashy smell. Some sour beer is in the nose too. Hops are hard to pull out of the malt.

T: Bittersweet roasted malt with some burnt and acrid flavors. Some ashy flavors and a touch of sour milk. Hops may add to the bitterness too as this finishes bitter.

M: Creamy, smooth mediuml body with it's signature widget to provide a nitro carbonation.

D: This is an old classic. It may be overrated and or over worshipped by some but it does have its place as an easy drinking full bodied beer. It does not get one drunk or fill one up contrary to belief but it does give a strong lingering sourness that gets old after a few of these. Great to pair with corned beef and cabbage.

2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

When my friend let me try this beer I did not like it at all. The taste was not great at all, it smelled bad and the taste was funky to me. In my opinion I rather drink Guinness Harp over this sorry excuse for a beer. Please don't waste you money not worth the time.

3.33/5  rDev -5.4%

14.9 ounce can into a pint glass

A: it looks good in a glass, off white creamy head like all nitro beers. lacing is good head is good.

S: smell is of nitro same as all nitro beers with hint of roasty malt

T: creamy thin good for what it is nothing great faint rostyness but not a stout with a lot of flavor

M: mouth is thin but its still creamy

D: yea its highly drinkable

3.22/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

I rated this beer as a session beer. Nitro-tap makes a pretty big difference. The body is more creamy and it seems to help come through with some of the coffee flavors. The beer is black yes but it's pretty light in almost every other aspect. Light to mild coffee flavors with a light black chocolate bitter dry finish. I get one on saint patty's day and it was a beer that I used as a building block for my beer-a-mid. Its one of those beers that I used to think was really good when I first started tasting other things than bmc brews but when coming back to it to give it a proper rating it wasn't what I remember it. Ok beer, great heritage, and has a huge culture and following behind it. god save ireland.

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a beautiful dark brown, nearly black, with a tan head of about one finger. Don't get much of a smell, but what I do get is the faint aroma of coffee and toasted malts. Tastes of coffee, slightly bitter. Very smooth beer, with a decent bit of carbonation. So easy to drink, especially if you're a coffee fanatic.

The appearance is super dark brown with a a nitro head that looks nice but is not big enough. The aroma is coffee, burnt malt, and a touch of chocolate but not strong enough. The taste is like the aroma and the best part of the beer. The palate is a bit thin for the style but OK. Everything about this beer is good but is not strong enough, at least for me.

3.26/5  rDev -7.4%

A black beer, with a hint of brown, and a beige creamy nice head. Not much lacing though, mostly due to the slow settling.

A smell of roasted malt, some coffee beans, but also some sweetness and fruitiness (raspberry and plums).

The taste has roasted notes, some coffee and chocolate, a bitter finish that stays a while.

Low carbonation, a watery feeling, combined with a dry aftertaste.

This is the classic Guinness, and the draught system works fairly well. However there are far better stouts.

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Purchased an 18 pack for $26.95 at Lukas Liquor in Ellisville, MO.

A- 14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass. Its hypnotic cascading settles after a minute leaving a dark ruby body and pillowy head. Very little carbonation. Beer looks absolutely beautiful!

S- Beer smells faintly sweet and roasty.

T- The first sip is a contrast in texture between the fluffy head and the beer's body. Taste is light and smooth with some bitterness at the end that reminds me of unsweetened chocolate. Also detectable is a blood-like metallic taste that diminishes as the beer warms.

M- Light-bodied and a tad watery.

D- Despite a below average mark on taste, Guinness is very easy to drink and I would have no problem having a second or third.

Notes: Guinness was my introduction to stout and continues to be the measuring stick others are judged by. I find Guinness to be at its best if I pull it out of the fridge and wait 20 minutes before opening.

1.3/5  rDev -63.1%

My son loves this beer and he can have it. It has no taste to me what so ever. I don't see what the fuss is about this beer. It looks good only because it resembles chocolate, but it just tastes bad. I know alot of people love this beer, just not all of us.

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

i'm perplexed as to how i've never reviewed this beer, but anyways...
color is classic deep black with a beautiful head, love the way the bubbles go down, probably the most iconic looking beer in the world. smell is pretty good, has a nice chocolately malt aroma to it, taste is pretty good too, i love to drink Guinness, but i dont think the taste is outstanding, i dont know if that makes much sense, but its just a good beer and a treat from the mundane. mouthfeel is probably its biggest downfall, it is very watery, which is surprising considering its color as most stouts are much thicker and richer. drinkability is high at least for me because i do love guinness.

3.16/5  rDev -10.2%

Drank side by side with a Murphy's Irish Stout. Both nitro-cans.

Oh, you know that cascading, brooding pour that the TV commercials have made famous. Very entertaining. Translucent brown/black with ruby hues. Sticky and creamy light tan head. Aroma is of acidic, burnt malts and the faintest earthy hops.

Flavor is pretty tangy and and somewhat bitter-- more so from the roasted character than any true hoppiness. Lingering flavor is charred chocolately malt. Somewhat harsh. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, thanks to the nitro widget. Drinkability is good. It's so light, yet flavorful.

People say that Guinness is the standard for the Irish Stout style. And in this case, the standard is utterly average, when had from the can. Cano-a-cano, Murphy's blows this stuff out of the water. Much smoother, less harsh, but with all the flavor. Plus, the Murphy's can is a full pint. Sorry Guinness. At least you're very popular.

3.54/5  rDev +0.6%

Someone left a 6 pack of this at my house a little while ago so I decided I might as well put in a review for one.

Poured from a nitro bottle into my Surly pint glass. Pours black with the expected nitro cascading pour. Left a nice one finger tan head covering the top of the beer.

The aroma is light and almost like creamy chocolate milk with a hint of roastedness. The taste hints at some roastiness with a slightly bitter finish. The taste is on the lighter side but still pretty good.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very creamy. I really like nitro served beers and the nitro bottle does a very good job of simulating the draught mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good, it's definitely a great drinking beer. It's light, has a great mouthfeel and drinks like chocolate milk. I can't say it has a great aroma or taste like some of my favorite stouts but the appearance, mouthfeel and drinkability are very good in this classic beer.

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Grabbed a 4 pak of these nitro cans, always want some Guinness around St Pat's day every year, bit of a tradition for me in March...

Poured the nitro brew into Guinness pint glass, pretty carb-ed with many foamy bubbles, too much in my opinion! Trying to imitate a real pint draft this way does not quite do it...anyway, typical Irish stout look, dark with creamy head of foam...

Overall, my palate must be ruined from drinking too many RIS lately, as this Guinness tasted pretty weak and pale to me, very watered down with not that much flavor....easy to drink and lighter than I recall from previous pours, think the best Guinness I have ever had by far was actually while in a pub in Ireland a few years back! Now, that was tasty....this canned nitro version....not so much.

Still happy to have my annual bit of Guinness, still a nice stout, just lighter than I remember.

Happy St. Patricks!!

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

It's amazing how much Guinness I used to drink in my undergrad days, but due to wallet constraints and a burgeoning love for craft breweries, I haven't really hade too many pints of the black stuff recently. I'll always have a place in my heart for a well-poured Guinness on draught, but today I'll give the can a whirl.

The widget system works alright, but I feel that a lot of carbonation is lost in the panicked first moment once the beer and gas starts rushing out. I attempted the standard three pour system, and I got something resembling a Guinness, but looks a little flat. Still, a good creamy head, lots of sheeted lacing, that standard dark black-ruby colour.

The nose is pretty close: dark coffee, espresso, dark malts, etc. Bitter finish. Pretty close to the on tap stuff. A slight fishy or mercury taste to it that I'm not terribly fond of, however.

The taste is that of on-draught, albeit with a strong chalky flavour that I can't seem to shake. It's close, but it isn't quite there.

The mouthfeel is velvety and creamy, a bit watery, but slightly chalky, sticking to the tongue.

Stick with it on draught - the can is certainly drinkable, but you're drinking a shadow of the original form. Best not be disappointed and go with the good stuff.

3.31/5  rDev -6%

A - Dark brown, closing in on black. Good sized beige creamy and foamy head.

S - Roasted malt and some chocolate smell.

T - Roasted flavors. Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate bitterness. Fairly light and watery.

M - Medium to light body. Fairly creamy and smooth. Watery and thin for the style.

D - Easy to drink and light, but the flavors don't really make me want to drink a lot.

Notes: Light and watery. Decent roasted flavors, but just too light.

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Guiness is a solid beer, its all about where you get it, you need to get it on tap, and it needs to be fresh, it makes a difference people.

You can have a guinness at one place, and have one at another, and they are totally different.

If you go to Ireland, I am sure they are amazing.

Still a good beer, if you get a good pour, it is top notch.

We all know what its about, dark, stout, yadda yadda, but if you go to a place that has good guinness on tap...good stuff, a solid stout.

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

This is a beer to enjoy. I love coffee as well as beer and when I had my first bottle it reminded me of coffee. Very dark and very heavy. Not a beer to drink a lot of at one time. Sit back, relax with a good football(soccer) games and enjoy a Guinness. Brilliant!!

Cheers!

4.04/5  rDev +14.8%

Situation: unwinding for a long-overdue Guinness review...
Glassware: Guinness tulip...
Appearance: A show--an instant 5. the off-white layer of milky, creamy head leveling over cascading brown, mixing with a blackened base presents like no other beer I know...
Aroma: lactic, milky tones that hint at chocolate, and dough; for an ale, incredibly light scents...
Palate: medium-bodied, soft and smooth to the point of mellow gold--impossible NOT to quaff at a rapid pace, and that is no punishment...
Taste: although not as complex as some other Irish stouts I have had, the sweet lactic flavor is clean and lip-smacking--in addition, consistent too.
Overall: having had the draught poured "correctly" in England and Scotland, I can honestly the difference in the widgeted bottle isn't palpable to me--the reliability and drinkability make this a great partner to any number of activities. Recognizable branding and availability make this also a winner for convenience's sake.

3.51/5  rDev -0.3%

Dark, dark, dark brown with the accustomed 2-finger light cream head dense enough to float a quarter. Excellent retention and lacing. My Irish relatives tell me that the goal in drinking a pint is to leave only three rings on the glass, taking just four "sips" to down the beer. I'll drink this one just a little slower.

Nose seems weaker than the true draft version. Weak, sweet malt and heavy cream come through but that is about it. No roast or chocolate to speak of.

Very smooth and creamy up front. Slightly tinny bite in the finish, but not much more going on. Starting to discern a faint roast toffee/coffe flavor in the finish mid glass, but not much there at all. Again, true draft version is far better.

Nice creamy feel.

Very easy to drink. Not much taste here, so I'm not sure I'd want more than one, but nothing offensive in the drinkability either.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours into a pint glass a cola black, nearly opaque with the creamy Guinness tan head that leaves great lacing.

Smells of thick roasted grains, and malty sweet smoothness.

The taste is a delicious roasty flavor. Not terribly complex, and a bit watery for a stout in my opinion, but not a bad beer. The nitrogen gives it the creamy impression of body, but this beer is very light tasting. Slight bitterness from the roasted qualities.
Easy-drinking.

3.24/5  rDev -8%

A: When poured right, a pint of Guinness is a thing of beauty. Just under an inch of a tight light tan creamy head. Sheets of lacing coat the glass as a nice skim settles in.

S: Unfortunately, the aroma and taste of Guinness don't hold up compared to the better stouts. The nose is composed of a light creamy milk chocolate, and soft roasted malts. Everything is relatively muted and muddled though.

T: More of the same in the flavor profile. Milk chocolate, roasted malts and a slightly sour-milk component in the back end.

M: Medium bodied with a velvety smooth and creamy feel.

D: The nostalgia of Guinness being the first beer I ever had is tough to beat, but I've had way too many beers since then to really rate Guinness high. That said, its my go to in a bar with no craft beer.

3.02/5  rDev -14.2%

A- Pours a deep rich black/brown with a caramel tan explosion in the top half of the glass. The head forms a thick, tan, meringue textured that last awhile and sticks to the side of the glass(its not lacing, its a coating).

S- Pumpernickel, something sour. Very mellow.

T- What ever flavor this has is watered down. Some hints of coffee, and something sour.

M- Thin, watery, with a chalky milk of magnesia finish.

D- Despite the watered down flavor and weird mouth-feel this dam beer is pretty drinkable. Its not something Ill go out of my way for but I wouldn't turn one down either.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.