Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
1.73/5  rDev -50.7%

Reviewed 12/6/2005 (On tap at BW-3s):

Pours a dark brown-black color body, with a big slightly off-white head. Not much aroma. Taste has some malts, a thick roasted flavor, creamy mouthfeel, with a bitter aftertaste. But not too complex a flavor profile.

4.9/5  rDev +39.6%

Guinness is my favourite beer. Available in most pubs and always a good stout. Quite filling and apparently can be good for you, being fairly high in iron and everything. If there's nothing else worth having there is always a good Guinness. Good stout this one.

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Classic beer that Ive had many times, here we go.

Smell: burnt notes, roasted malt - dark bread, some coffee, some cream. Nice smell.

Taste: as the smell, however a bit thin and watery - malty with dark bread, some raisins, coffee notes and cream. Not much hops to talk about.

Overall: well, this isnt the best stout out there, certainly; but it has a nice appearance, and it has some distinct flavors and somekind of character that I like. Served cold it is a fine beer.

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Very nice creamy head that stayed throughout the whole 22oz. Good dark, appetizing looking color.

S - Weak smell that really took a lot to notice. Nothing exceptional about it.

T - As expected, not a strong flavor. Flavor up front is okay, as it has a nice light roasted flavor to it. Very weak aftertaste. Overall not a strong flavor in this beer, but not offensive in any way. Would be a good starting point for those unfamiliar with dark, more strongly flavored beers.

M - The head feels incredibly creamy as though it was whipped. The beer itself has a decent feel to it, though lacking a little bit. Low carbonation, almost thin, not substantial. Really smooth, however, and could drink a fair amount of it. Very nice in that fashion, and would call it a plus.

D - Very high drinkability with this one. It's a nice smooth beer with not a very strong flavor, and goes down nice. Would be a decent introduction to those unfamiliar with dark, more strongly flavored beers.

3.1/5  rDev -11.7%

A - Poured well from the nitro-can and looked like Guinness with a good dark body and a 2-finger light tan head.

S - Not much to go on. Very weak smell, some bitter roasted notes come through on the nose.

T - Typical canned Guinness, roasted malt comes through fairly clearly but there isn't a heap there. It was a fairly inoffensive and thin brew and there are much better examples of the style out there.

M - The rich creamy head lends a great feel to the brew however the beer itself was lacking and seemed thin. A bit more body would be nice.

D - You can drink a fair amount of this beer. It's ABV is lower than average and while somewhat boring still drinkable, a decent session brew.

3.3/5  rDev -6%

Finally got the elusive nitro bottle!

A: Poured like a guinness should. Black with a wonderful 2 fingers of creamy head. Excellent lacing.

S: Sweet caramel with some roast thrown in. Not much of a nose on it.

T: A subtle roasted taste with some hints of chocolate in the finish.

M: Very creamy mouthfeel. I want it to be thicker I think.

D: Drinks like a champ. Not a big fan of the beer or the style but it does have its place.

2.83/5  rDev -19.4%

Had on nitro-tap, poured into a 16 oz glass at Toronto Airport.

Pours a metallic black, with a nice initial cascading head. Head goes from coffee colored to sand. Eventually the suddy head comes to a standstill, with about a finger and a half of retention. The brew really soaps the sides of this glass. Though it excels in its classic appearance, it really fails when it comes to aromatics. I'm really not picking up any prominent notes, just some faint ale yeast.

This meal in a can is more fast food drive through than first class. Not very prominent in flavor, the palete is primarily burnt coffee. Brew is smooth throughout, with some gentle viscosity and a nice feeling body.

Guinness is generally my go to at macro bars, when it's winter, and there are no other options. I wouldn't say I dislike the beer, though I don't love it, as you always know what you're getting. It's smooth, light, and at least brings some flavor to the table.

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours black from the can with a boiling light tan head. Plenty of tan lacings. Aroma is lightly burned caramel.
Taste is deep dark malty and sweet with a nice touch of bitter hops in the finish.
Mouthfeel is silky smooth with a slight drying effect on the palate.
Drinkability is super due to the low carbonation and low abv. Good beer to drink when you want a break from hop bombs or high abv beer.

3.78/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours black into a pint glass out of a nitro can, with a beautiful, pillowy, off-white head, with great retention and leaving prodigious lacing. For me, the strongest point of a Guinness is the way that it looks. Aroma seems as if it is trapped underneath the fluffy head, is of roasted grain and a bit of coffee. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth but very light, with almost no carbonation, goes down very easily. Taste is of wood, coffee notes, and a roasted grain flavor toward the finish.

This is a difficult beer for me to rate as it was my gateway beer and I will always have a special place for it. Despite my introduction to craft beer, a cold Guinness straight from the tap is still one of the most satisfying beer-drinking experiences I can think of. However, I will try, as always, to rate the beer based on how the beer represents the style, and what the brewer intended the beer to taste like, and, to a weighted degree, my personal preference - not just any one of the aforementioned aspects. End disclaimer

3.53/5  rDev +0.6%

Can. Pours a dark body with about a one inch thick head. Not a lot of aroma, some sweet malts and that's about it. Not a whole lot of flavor either. Some malts and a tad bit of caramel if you really dig. Medium body. Light but full mouth feel. The most refreshing beer out there.

3.25/5  rDev -7.4%

One of the first beers that I wanted to try. I am actually a bit dissapointed.

Appearance was good. Everyone who has seen a Guinness knows that part of the attractiveness is the contrast of the dark (nearly black) beer coupled with the creamy white head. The pour may have been the problem at the bar where I had this because the head was relatively short. This is the only reason it didn't score higher.

The smell was a bit weak for my tastes. I felt like the roasted malt should jump out at me. I could detect a faint smoky sweetness and almost no hops whatsoever.

The taste was good, not great. I had expected a smoother creamier beer. What I got was something that seemed to be a bit bland with notes of charcoal and roasted grain.

The mouthfeel was my favorite part of this beer aside from appearance. It reminded me of a good rootbeer pulled from tap. Very little carbonation, very smooth and soft.

Althought I didn't like it enough to order another I can definately see how you could drink a ton of this stuff. Its smoothness coupled with its easy taste could make for a looong night (or morning depending on your tastes).

2.93/5  rDev -16.5%

I have drank this many many times. the bottle is not the way to go. they tell you to drink straight from the bottle, which is stupid. off tap or from can to glass is one thing but this is a flat, lack-luster guinness at it's best. I do not recomend this from the bottle

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

the beer that casuals think is really good beer. and while it is not terrible, it merely passes as ok.

the look is deep and black, and of course the cascading head is beautiful.

a nutty, smoky smell eminates from the beer, oaky amd woodsy.

the taste is burnt caramel and very nondescript. balanced but unassuming, unimpressive but inoffensive.

the feel is milky and heavy.

well, i'll drink it. but I may not be totally excited about it.

4.75/5  rDev +35.3%

I cant get enough of this beer, its delightful in every way. I loved everything from its almost black color to the way it smells of chocolate and coffee. It is really easy to chug if your in a hurry because of the low/no carbonation as it is smooth and easy.
I would fly to ireland just to taste it freshly poured from a local pub ;)

2.7/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark brown, black through the center, with amber edges. Huge cascading effect on the pour producing a half inch creamy light tan head. Looks marshmallows in cocoa on top. Good retention.

The aroma is alright. Slightly roasty with a bit of chocolate and coffee.

The taste is ok. Fairly weak, but a bit of old coffee comes through with a touch of bitterness and not a whole lot more.

The mouthfeel kind of sucks. It's medium bodied, but feels watery. I'm usually a fan of more of a still mouthfeel, but this feels flat basically, probably because the body is so thin. But it's slightly creamy which is nice.

Drinkability is moderate. It's easy to consume, but it's really not that great. It lacks depth of flavor and important aspects of body. It's certainly sessionable, but I'd be too bored to drink more than one. I always remembered liking Guinness and wondered why everyone slammed the Nitro Bottle so much, and now I think I've figured out why.

4.3/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A= It is super black just like an expresso or coffee. WHen you pour it it has a 1 or2 finger head but it goes down to a smal head that doesnt go away and is great.

S= Coffee/expresso

T= The taste is amazing it has a nice coffee taste but not to strong and finishes wih a bit of chocolate, the only thing i wish that it was not as watery.

M= A bit watery but one of my fav Irish stout

D+ Very drinkable and easy going down full of flavor but no too strong. I can definetley put quite a few of these down in a sitting.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Loved the appearance when it was freshly poured from the tap. It had the waterfall effect in the beer which is totally impressive with the little bubbles that trickle down from the top. Some are drawn back by the dark black motor oil look with the thick creamy head but not me. I love Irish Dry Stouts - they're my favorite. Smells of heavy roast and that is exactly what you first taste as it hits your tongue. However, you do get a slight tin flavor which is slightly odd. Full thick head stays with the glass all the way down. Mmmm, "barkeep - pour me another".

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

Served on tap in an imperial Guinness tulip glass. Guinness holds a special place in my heart as it was the first beer I genuinely liked. It's a great standby when only BMC taps are at a bar, and is easy to drink and sessionable.

A note about Guinness, it is my opinion that this beer gets fouled up by more bars than any other beer out there and this is the reason for most peoples disappointment with it. It's not the greatest stout out there, but is a lot better than some of these ratings particularly if you get it at a reputable place. When people talk about how great it is in Ireland, freshness is a factor, but also the fact that it is so prominent there, most pubs know how to keep the nitrous level correct, the kegs are emptied often, and the two part pour is done almost everywhere. All three of these things make a difference and I've been to way too many bars in America where, often, the Guinness is stale, not served in the right glass, and poured straight down in one single opening of the tap.

I'll be reviewing this from a bar that does it right: turns over enough Guinness that it is fresh, serves in the tulip glass, does the two part pour, and keeps the lines clean.

A - A classic. Looks like a supersized shot of espresso. Black with a beautifully creamy tan head that lasts forever. Served in a clean glass beautiful foam rings form as the beer goes down.

S - This is where Guinness lacks the most IMO. A bit of roasted malt comes through along with dark chocolate and coffee notes. No presence of hops.

T - Creamy, balanced, and easy to drink. A roasted malty flavor comes through along with hints of vanilla extract and coffee notes. Finishes with a short lived bitter roasted flavor.

M - Another area where Guinness excels. Perfectly creamy mouthfeel that isn't abrasive like CO2. Very easy to drink because of the mouthfeel.

D - A great session beer. Sure there are stouts with more flavors, but Guinness is widely available and it's mild mannered flavor makes it easy to drink as many as you'd like (One night I had 8 imperial pints in a row) without getting as full as I would have with other beers. Alcohol level is low so it keeps you standing and Guinness is calorically low which never hurts and makes it a good option instead of a typical light beer. I could drink this from 10 am on and all day on a rainy day and often have. The only killer is how many bars screw this beer up.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

Love this beer, had my first one with my dad who was turned on by it after a trip to Ireland. Although told no where near the quality as having one over there. This beer started on my adventures of beer tasting. Although there are better I have to give it props

A: Murky black. Poured a tight one finger head which persisted and was "fed" from underneath. Good lacing

S: Sweet bready malt .

T: Some roasted malts and even bitterness.

M: Smooth and creamy.

D: Very drinkable. Didn't find it filling or overbearing.

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

GLASS: Boddingtons Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

Guinness is one of the world's most beautiful beers. The so dark that it's almost black liquid, with it's dark ruby highlights. The reverse cascade of the bubbles. The three finger creamy tan head.
All of those features are reproduced in this nitro can, thanks to the widget, I suppose. Looks like it's just drawn, off of a tap.

Smells dark and malty. Slight coffee notes mix with chocolate, to a lesser extent. Not alot going on in the nose, actually.

Can you say disappointment?
Wow! This tastes just like Guinness, only weaker!
This tastes like a mix of 2 parts Guinness and 1 part water. you can tell that beer elements are in there, but they are so watered down that it's hard to find them.

Guinness is supposed to be a big, thick, creamy brew. This (can) is a pale imitation of those qualities.

This might have use as a stepping stone for getting someone to come over from BMC products into craft beers. Other than that, I think it's a waste, personally.

3.43/5  rDev -2.3%

This beer is just really fun to look at. The taste is almost like chocolate milk to me for some reason. Really smooth and creamy. I'm not particularly impressed with it in any way besides the appearance. The flavor should be bolder and more full for the way it looks and the dark color I think. It's a decent beer though, I'll prolly have a a craving later for another

3.9/5  rDev +11.1%

A nice Irish Stout. Beautiful pour into a pilsner glass (all that was available), cascading effect is always fun to watch! Its color was black, with red around the sides of the glass. The head stayed for the entire drink, with great lacing. You could taste a hint of coffee and strong dark chocolate (very toasty, I could feel my stomach warm!), and a very nice woody flavour left on the palate. A classic pub favourite, and for good reason.
cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

I love Guinness but there are better options. Very Dark and chocolatley stout and goes great with hearty stews and works well for cooking. Guinness in America is good, but try it in the UK. It's a dream. I'm going to rate it as I normally drink here in the US. The only thing I don't like about Guinness is the slight negative aftertaste which I didn't taste when I was traveling overseas.

2.68/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a nitro bottle into an imperial pint. Cascading effect through a dark brown body. Nice creamy head, some lacing is there. Aroma of burnt coffee grinds and hints of chocolate. Taste is on par with the nose. Roasted coffee, dry baker's chocolate, slightly bitter. The mouthfeel is what gets to me on this one. It's thin and watery, not much in the way of flavor. I prefer the Extra Stout to the Draught, personally, but I could drink several of these in one sitting on nitro-tap. Maybe I should have drank this from the bottle as it insisted. After a few minutes, the beer became flat and watery which took away from the overall taste. Not very pleasing.

4.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours as black as can be with a creamy mocha head the stays forever leaving nice lace rings behind.

Roasted malt aroma and slightly metallic.

Burnt malt taste with a mild bitter finish. Very smooth and light as far as stouts go.

Velvet smooth mouthfeel with no sign or carbonation.

Very smooth, easy drinking beer. Not nearly as good as the tap Guinness in Ireland but I have to settle just like the rest of America.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.