Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.39/5  rDev -3.7%

440ml can poured into schneider weisse glass on aug 19 2009

A black unless held up too the sun then its the deepest ruby red. the head rises and stays there, crazy retention, tightly packed head, good lace

S dark malt and a fair bit of chocolate, some mild coffee not as strong as one would think

T as it smells really, an industry standard, not too bad not too great

M/D quite nice, thick enough and creamy, easy too drink on this hot day that says something

the widget makes for a crazy head, the retention is seldom matched

2.79/5  rDev -20.7%

Draught flow can poured into a pint glass.

Pretty much every BA on the planet has been in contact with this at one time or another (or at least turned it down) The only reason I felt the need to review is that I wanted to register my agreement to the opinion that this beer has been watered down in the states.

My most recent pour of this was bland and unpleasant. The creaminess was there, along with some of the typical bitterness of a dry stout. However, there was a strange watery feel to the whole experience of this pint. It wasn't extremely cold, but I had a hard time picking up the flavors I used to enjoy.

Once one of my favorite beers, this one has fallen out of favor for me. Perhaps I have been spoiled by some of the fantastic beers I have been drinking lately. At the time I had this I hadn't drank a stout in years, yet it was very pedestrian to me. That fact alone should be reason enough to say the ship has sailed on this brew in the states.

(From tasting notes recorded 27 Jul 2009)

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a deep brown, almost black color and settled with a dense compact head.

Not much in the nose other than some faint roated barley aromas

Nice creamey mouthfeel, with some fiant coffee notes, that ends with a moderate bitterness.

All in all, a basic stout thats on the lighter side, but decent nontheless. The extra stout (I think its called) is much better than this IMHO

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%

Consumed 8/13/2009- from notes.

Had a couple at Lucky's Sports Bar in Alexandria, VA after a concert.

A- The cascade gets me every time. Settles to a pitch black with a creamy two finger off white head. Great lacing.

S- Not much for an aroma. A little roasted malt, little hint of coffee.

T- Roasted coffee, bitter dark chocolate.

M- Super smooth and creamy.

D- My go to session beer when out, very easy to drink.

3.34/5  rDev -5.1%

Guinness Draught
nitro can into glass

when poured, the cascade starts a deep black at the bottom and turns a creamy color to the top, where a tiny saucer of thick tan head forms after a moment. sometimes this leaves a wall of lace, sometimes light and spotty. i've had a range of head condition with guinness draught in a can

smells ofweak coffee and roast. not much on the nose

this is a pretty tame stout. like a watery guinness. I actually like the taste, though. guinness is an old friend of mine. roasted malts, and weak coffee and nuts tastes. reminds me of a roasty beer ice cream

the nitro can gives it a unique mouthfeel. super creamy. so much that i have to slow myself down to enjoy it

high drinkability. the low abv is good too and makes it a great session. this is one of the beers that got me into craft. good crossover for those that enjoy a bit of the dark side, but not too much

Guinness Draught in the nitro-can is more of an every-once-in-a-while beer for me because i genuinely enjoy the lighter, creamier (weaker) guinness some times. most days, it's not my favorite beer, but its definately a good session pick for me. the only deterrent is the price. good beer, but not always worth the craft beer price

3.14/5  rDev -10.8%

I had this beer from a nitro tap in a pint glass.

The appearance is good, a dark brown to black color with a thick tan head.

There really isn't too much smell to it.

The taste is pretty bland also. I can convince myself that there is a little bit of roasted malt flavor, but not much.

The mouthfeel is a plus, if it weren't for that it would be a pretty bad beer.

Overall, it is drinkable, but only as a last resort if there are no other good options.

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%

Well, first off, the appearance of this beer is likely its best feature. Beautifully black with an oh-so-creamy looking tan head. Retention is legendary and some very nice, thick lacing clings to the glass. The smell emanating from this beer is, unfortunately, somewhat muted. What I am able to discern are subtle notes of bready, buttery malts, chocolate and some coffee. Taste is more pronounced with lots of bread and butter up front with the dark roasted chocolate notes picking up mid-sip resulting in a finish that is roasty with a nice amount of bitterness from the hops. Mouthfeel is thick and very creamy with not a whole lot in terms of noticeable carbonation. This stout goes down smooth. Drinkability is another excellent quality of this beer - I feel like I could drink this stuff till the cows come home. Overall, sometimes nothing goes down like it. It could be more pronounced flavour wise. However, when you're in the mood for a silky-smooth, easy drinking stout, it's hard to beat. Truly a classic - I'd love to try it closer to the source!

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

After pouring into an ale glass, the brew produced a rich, vibrant head that is tan in color. The body of the beer is rich and dark. After the beer settled, about one-half inch of head remained. In addition, a nice layer of lace is clinging to the glass. The aroma is both malty and hoppy. The flavor is both sweet and salty with a nice essence of hops. The beer is creamy and feels very delightful in the mouth. Overall, a wonderful beer and a classic that should be used as benchmark for measuring other stouts.

3.31/5  rDev -6%

Pours a dark coffee or cola color with a khaki color head that is nice and fluffy. The smell is not as strong or complex as other stouts, some chocolate malt in there. The taste is pleasant but again not as complex as other stouts can be. The taste is of a roasted malts.
The mouthfeel is average for a stout, not a lot going on, but smooth and creamy. Drinkability is average nothing to ward you off, but not as big and bold as some others.

2.59/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Pitch black beer with nice creamy off-white. Beautiful cascade as it's being poured and nice lacing as well.

S: There really isn't much of an aroma. Faint toasted malt, some coffee. That's about it.

T: Some toasted malt, coffee, and carmel. Finishes with a soft hop bite. This is a pretty bland stout.

M: The texture of this beer is awful. It's way too watery, no carbonation and no body at all.

D: This beer is just way too watery, it ruins it for me. Flavor and aroma are very subtle, almost bland. This is basically a marco-stout. Aroma-less, flavor-less but easily chuggable. There are too many great stout available to waste my time on this one again.

Can- Pours a dark, black body with a thick and frothy caramel coloured head. Aroma is slightly roasted, malty, but pretty much non-descript...any aroma here is very mild. Taste is semi sweet malt flavours, with some mild roasted sugary flavours as well. Very light, and watery.

4.09/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz tap pour into an Imperial pint @ Skippy's

A - Topped by a small creamy tan head accented by the amazing cascading. Classic.

S - Dry roasted malts take a slight back seat to the light hops that don't smell as much as hops as they really only crisp the smell up.

T - Really dry flavor with roasted malts and a light hoppyness that smooths out the darker part of the beer to wash it down with a slightly bitter finish.

M - I love this beer for it's delicious creaminess that always finishes smooth and refreshing.

D - Definitely a beer I can have all night long.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

poured from a 440cl can. When cracked open you hear two clicks one of the can clicking open and the other of the nitrogen cartridge being opened.

the is a creamy head that doesnt go anywhere. almost totally black but i have had darker stouts.

smell is that of dark malts, and hops, maybe slight coffee.

taste first of all you get bitterness, then some dark roasted malt creamy head. some taste of liquorice a bit of coffee.deep flavour. slight smokeyness. its better on tap!
mouthfeel slight carbonation but very creamy head.

its easy drinking unless the only beer you have every had is watery lager.

3.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First beer I've ever had on tap. Much better than in the bottle. Same taste, chocolatey and rich, but the mouth feel is so much creamier. Has a nice, soothing appeal to it as it washes down your throat. Good carbonation, enough to give it slight bitterness but not enough to keep you from enjoying the texture. If you see it on tap and have never had it before, I'd give it it a try. If you don't like Guinness in the first place it probably won't change your mind.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts. Taste is mild and easy drinking, some roasted malts, just a touch of coffee. Feels full bodied and creamy in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

3.33/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Oh Shea's in Philly, 07/25/09. 90 degree heat, and the wife & I needed a rest on our way to the Mutter Museum (awesome place, especially if you like syphilis-related lesions and other medical maladies). I'm hot, tired, ready for a cold pint, something light, and Guinness would supposedly fit the bill. Overall I was disappointed. Appearance is perfect and aroma is very good, but somehow its more watery than I remember. Reading other reviews its obvious I'm not alone in my opinion. Of course considering my last review was of FBS I'm probably expecting too much. Taste is good (pleasant roasted malt bitterness), mouthfeel is silky, but there's a wateriness that dulls both and leads to point deductions. Drinkability is okay but I only had one and switched to SABL. I'll drink it again, but probably not until St. Paddy's day (and then only if Beamish isn't available).

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

Guinness Draught has that familiar and expected dark brown color with a mesmerizing cascading head development to a dense, creamy beige which lingers throughout the session. Lacing is the wrong terminology for the patches of head retained on the walls of this Guinness pint glass.

Roasted malt and molasses with bitter chocolate and some latte aromas are all pleasant although lacking much complexity.

There is significantly less bitterness than I had anticipated and the flavors are extremely light. This is nothing even remotely like what I remember being served on draft years ago. About the only flavor I can detect is some sweet, roasted malt.

A thin body and watery texture combined with soft, almost flat carbonation holds little interest. I had this at a dive bar and thought, "surely this is is the result of the quality of the bar," but alas, the beer maligned the bar. Sad to say, but either my memory failed me here, or I've developed a far more discriminating palate over the years.

Sure, one can idle away the hours while sipping or swigging, but I have no such desire.

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%

This is specifically a review of the Guinness Draught bottles, since I've already reviewed normal guinness draught numerous times before.

After the cascade, it pours a pitch black body with a thick foamy bright white head.

Nose was very subtle with only touches of dark malt and grain.

Taste is classic Guinness. Dark roasted malts, very light bodied yet big thick and chewy at the same time. A strong dark roasted coffee like bitterness and touches of milk chocolate. Very bready, with a strong brown bread sort of taste.

Gotta say, compared to the Pub Cans with the little widget, or on draft, this bottle version is spot on with the rest. I know it's actually meant to be drunk out of the bottle, and I did take a few swigs and well... it's not as good, but... it works. Really the only thing negative about this is the 11.2oz bottle. Seems to be a sneaky way of getting you to pay more for less.

2.55/5  rDev -27.6%

Appearance: Dark mahogany beer that pours oddly from the glass in spurts due to the "widget". Initially, there is no head, but it soon appears, lasting for a while before fading in curtains along the side of the glass.

Smell: Hints of chocolate, nuts, and oatmeal.

Taste: WTF!? Its VERY watery. I know its supposed to be drunk from the bottle but from a glass it is virtually flavorless. Even from the bottle the widget makes the water cold but does not enhance flavor. There are some hints of oatmeal and roast but they somehow manage to play backup to nothing.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation, smooth but disappointingly uncreamy. Feels like it missed the mark.

Drinkability: I've had better stouts. If offered, I'd pass this one up; if found in the fridge, I might give it a try.

2.93/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Ignoring the packaging instructions to drink straight from the nitro bottle, poured into a pint glass. Poured black with a very light tan head, lighter than the head generally usually is on tap. Creamy head, nice retention and lacing.

S: Hints of chocolate and coffee.

T: Kind of watery, some very light bitterness and malt flavors on the finish.

M: Very light and watery, not much carbonation.

D: Very easy to drink, much like water is.

2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

Poured dark with a frothy, tan head that had staying power. I could smell coffee. The beer tasted remarkable similar to pool water. I swear I could even get a slight chlorine taste, that may be what some reported as coffee taste. No body. As far as drinkability; you could drink it like water too. A case of a beer being average or above in all categories but taste, so the 2.4 rating is deceiving. Definitely not recommended.

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%

Having consumed a great deal of this beer over the years, I finally decided to review it. I poured a 14.9oz nitro can into a pint glass, which fit it perfectly.

Appearance: extremely dark amber with a thick foamy head, courtesy of the nitro widget.

Smell: smell is slightly malty but very subtle; there doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on here.

Taste: malty, dry, somewhat astringent. Not a whole lot of complexity, but it is well-balanced and otherwise tasty.

Mouthfeel: pretty full-bodied and creamy. I think we can thank the nitro again.

Drinkability: though its thick body has earned it the "liquid bread" moniker, I can drink quite a lot of this. It goes down smooth and isn't so oppressive that I can't have another.

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I drank from a bottle into a chalice

Before I knew what real heavey beer was this was a good one. Now, to me it almost tastes watery compared to other stouts. It has a decent coffee taste but this is just a beer I could never get into.

It pours black with a nice white/tan head.

It smells and taste like coffee, but compared to other stouts its very weak.

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%

Last time i had this in the bottle i was shocked. maybe it was just a bad case, but i think my palet has changed. this seemed more watery and empty than i remember. Its still an ok beer, and i still like it better than other "macro" beers, but this is jumping down on my list, while the on tap version moved up a little.

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

pours an off black with a massive white head that sticks around

Smell is almost non existent, a little nutty malts, but hardly present

Taste is like watered down nutty bitterness, not bad for this light style...has terrible mouthfeel, feels like water

Funny, a few years ago, I would have said Guinness was a good beer - oh education

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.