Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Interesting timing, I had just cracked this leftover from St. Patty's and sat down when I see a nice article about Guinness. Very nice.

Appearance: The nitro can opens with a good pop, the beer is poured into a standard US pint glass. The beer is very dark, black, and must be poured very slowly. A frothy, tan head forms in the classical "Guinness Way". Head lasts until the final sip. Sheets of lace. A neer perfect looking beer IMO, especially from a can, close to a tap draw. Much beeter than the bottle draught.

Smell: Mostly a roasted malt, touch bitter. Aroma of roasted coffee and chocolate, yet the scent is somwhat faint.

Taste: A classic Guinness. Slight roasted malts. A little sweeter than I expected (although I would not call this a sweet beer by a longshot). A touch bitter on the finish brings this in balance.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body, smooth, creamy, a little rich.

Drinkability: I think I have said this in a different Guinness review, this is probably one of the easiest beers to drink in the world, yet so many people are put off and intimidated by the appearance. While I enjoy this better on tap, I do like the can better than the bottle. An excellent beer, well worth a try or two, or three or...
Update: 3-17-08 Part of a St. Pat's Irish Stout-a-thon. This beer is the most commercial of the ones I had side by side, and it was the lesser of the four beers IMO.

BigRedN, Apr 12, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: one of my favorite things about a Guinness Draught is the way it looks after the two part pour. With the surging inside the glass and it seperating to make the creamy white head contrasted by the dark amber color. Leaves very thick and uniform lacing.

S: Smells like coffee with the sweet roasted malt giving off an aroma that reminds me of chocolate.

T: While the taste of the Draught is good I would prefer it to be a little more intense like their extra stout however, I do not want to take away that still this is a damn fine beer.

M: Probably one of the lighter Stouts out there.

D: I find it very easy two drink a couple of these in one sitting. When it comes to Guinness I work by the Irish quote when someone is deciding if they should have another pint or not. "A Man can't walk with only one leg."

cproioi, Apr 12, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -31.2%

My first Guinness was actually on draft, and I was really ready for a beer. Bad choice at the time, that Guiness. I had to wait for the head to settle and I though it was really bitter. Time passed and I got away from the BMC thing. I felt that my tastebuds had matured so I tried another Guinness, this tme in a bottle. Kind of chocolaty, coffee like and soft on the palate. After a little research, I now understood the workings of the 'widget', what makes the head, and why it's so thick. Armed with all of that intelligence I still wasn't that impressed, especially with the taste. Something is missing. The taste is kind of bland. Maybe it's the soft mouthfeel of the nitrogen as opposed to the crispness of CO2. I'm thinking the shortcoming is more on the line of ingredients. I've had some killer Russian stouts. Hercules out of Belgium is outstanding. Bell's, from Kalamazoo, Mi., offers a great selection of stouts that blows this one away. Mix Guinness with a Bass ale to make a black and tan, or a Harp for a half and half, and that's a different story. That seems to liven it up a bit. That's really to only way that I drink this anymore. Otherwise, for the money, I would pass on a straight up Guinness if other stouts were available.

cro250klr, Apr 10, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -24.1%

Bottle is (idiotically) marked "drink straight from the bottle" and "serve extra cold." Lucky me, this bottle has the new rocket widget! This is 11.2 ounces of pasteurized stout.

Pours into my tumbler nearly black with a creamy cappuccino color head. It does the cascade thing for a little while which looks nice. The head lasts a long time and leaves some lace.

Aroma is quite nice: coffee and roasted malts. Very soft and creamy smell.

Taste is shockingly bland. This honestly tastes like slightly flavored water. Thin malt flavor, slightly roasted, slightly sweet, with a slightly bitter aftertaste. I gave this beer plenty of time to warm up in hopes that some more flavor would come out, but it was in vain.

Mouthfeel is nicely smooth and creamy, but disappointingly thin. I mean really thin.

I guess I could drink several of these, but why would I want to?

I haven't had one of these is several years. I'm glad I didn't pay for this. Boy are people ridiculous when they say how "meal-like," heavy and filling this beer is. I am quite convinced that people buy this due to how it is marketed, not due to how it tastes.

akahn, Apr 08, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +4%

Appearance: Pours a thick looking opaque black with rolling tan foam that cascades about the top of the beer slowly forming into a thick tan creamy head. There is some pretty thick lacing left on the glass after the beer settles a bit.

Aroma: It smells really dry with some defined roast and a slight metallic hint to it. There is a sweet caramel presence there to go with a dry biscuit like base.

Taste: The flavor is much milder than the aroma suggested. It has an almost watery edge that contradicts the dark complexion. The malt is in charge the entire time, and I don't get any hops specifically. There is a bit of a floral flavor to this beer, but I think that is an illusion from the malt complexity. The finish is a bit dry from the roast and it has an acidic note that makes it seem even more dry. There is no alcohol noticeable.

Opinion: Well, I just keep trying this beer, as I want to see what difference it makes between the different packaging techniques. I don't think that it makes much difference. This is a pretty good session beer, and I can't hardly imagine being able to drink enough to get drunk on these. I'll stick with their export.

SkeeterHawk, Apr 08, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

To many this a highly over-rated beer, yet I love it. I guess it could be much better taken from a tap nevertheless this is all we have so here it goes straight from the bottle.
A very dark colour, very thick body, one can almost chew this beer. Has a great head that remains thick on top of the beer till u finish it by scooping every last drop of foam from the bottom of the glass. Even though light in alcohol one tends to want to have one after another due to the great taste that resembles coffee, a faint touch of caramel and a predominant taste of roasted barely, this is a very bitter beer.
I tried to brew my own guiness and though I did obtain a decent flavour I could not imitate the perfect head this beer posess. All those that believe that guiness is over-rated will disagree but I think this a very good beer.

brewapprentice, Apr 03, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a Harpoon Imperial pint glass.

This is a somewhat close approximation of Guinnes on tap, but it doesn't quite measure up. It is pretty in the glass, although the bubbles and head recede more quickly than on tap. The major difference is the thin moutfeel. It isn't as creamy and delcicious as it is on tap. Everything else--the roasty coffee taste and good drinkability--is about the same.

bignick, Apr 03, 2006

A good old stand by for all stout drinkers.
Most recently had this in a nitro bottle. I find this to possibly be the best serving of this beer, if tap is of course not available.
Appearance: nice and chocolaty black. With a nice lacy head that trails the inside of the glass down to the last drop.
Smell: Very malty with a hint of coffee flavor. May not be too forward out of the bottle so let it breath a little bit.
Taste: robust and full bodied taste. Again malty and some roasted coffee.
Mouthfeel: I feel like the bottle is always a little more watery than I would care for. It is lighter and not quite as creamy. Yet still has a comfortable body and still enjoyable. All in all I still think it really a decent beer even out of the bottle.

jongillin, Apr 02, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

OK. The bottle label says drink from the bottle. So for review purposes I have poured a small amount into a glass for appearance. I drank the rest from the bottle per the brewerys instruction.
A dark brown black beer. Has a creamy (nitro type) dark beige head with a good lace. A lot of chocolate at first (milk chocolate) in the aroma followed by some hints of toffee and a coffee bitterness in the background. The first sip give a chocolate note. The second leaves more dark roasted malt bitterness (with a hint of burnt toast on the back of the tongue). The mouthfeel seemed a bit watery to me.

ybnorml, Mar 28, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +19.8%

My second Guinness Draught review. This time the bottled version, with the widget. I've always found bottled Guinness to be a little sweeter than both the nitro can and draft version. Less dry, I guess.

Pours typical Guinness motor-oil black, with a 1/2 inch off-white head that looks like a solid object. Doesn't fade until you start drinking, and even then it sticks around for most of the glass.

Smell is dry and bready, but with, as I said, a sweeter, slightly chocolately aroma that doesn't show up when you have it on draft at a bar. Reminds me a bit more of the bottled Extra Stout (which I'll have to review sometime soon -- only one bottle left).

Taste is dry and bready. Bottled Guinness Draught is a bit more watery than other versions, which lowers the mouthfeel score for me. Still tastes great though, and the combination of taste and low ABV mean I could drink it all day. Well, maybe not ALL day.

This is the only beer so far that I've reviewed twice, simply because there are so many ways to get a Guinness around here. Can't say that for most beers in Canada.

crwills, Mar 26, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Alrighty, it's Saint Patrick's Day and what better way to celebrate than with a Guinness...since I'd like one from home, I figured the new bottles they have would be a good substitute from the taps I usually get this from. It has a widget, and the plethora of advertising make it seem like they got this down well. Sadly, that's just not the case.

The head was the only thing remotely close to the tap pour. This was watered down, it didn't cascade in my pint glass, and the lacing was missing as well. Foamed up a bit as I swished it, but the essense, the thickness and mouthfeel that I love from this beer just wasn't there. The roasting, chocolate, and deepness that I love about this was replaced with a cheap espresso flavor, that just didn't get any better over time. I really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't there...

It's pretty odd when the head is the best part of a brew, by quite a ways. This never got off the ground, even when I tried pouring it at different temperatures. Between the "served chilled" suggestion (I always thought Guinness should be served around 50-55 degress fahrenheit and the edges of the beer being a deep reddish instead of a uniform black, I think they dropped the ball on this. Is it true that not all Guinness is brewed at Saint James Gate, but also in Canada? My next serving of this will be on tap - brilliant!

JerzDevl2000, Mar 20, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -35.5%

Looks nice. Smells nice. Tastes. . . watery.

I think Guinness really wants this stuff to have mass-market appeal, so I guess they figure watery is the way to go.

It has all the flavors I associate with a stout -- but it just tastes watered down -- "light". Light is the last thing I want, when I want stout

Stick with the Extra Stout.

alexskovan, Mar 19, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

Served from a nitro can into a Guinness pint glass that I purchased at the Guinness brewery a few years. What a nice St. Patrick's Day treat. The beer pours a nice black color with active bubbling activity from the nitro in the can. Interesting to watch as it settles. After the beer settles with a nice thick tan head, the aroma I get is of some nice toasted malts with a bit of sweetness. The taste is a nice lingering tongue of sweet toasted malts that is very drinkable, despite the slightly heavy body.

ggaughan, Mar 19, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +13.2%

Had this on tap at a local resturant, it was pourd and brought to me and the head was still forming which is all ways fun to watch.

Smell is roasted malt and that is about it for that.

The taste is so much better then out of the nitro bottles and cans. Has a very roasted malt flavor with a bitter hops taste to follow.

Moithfeel is thick and smooth and it goes down great.

I could drink these all night on tap but for some reason I refuse to buy at the store in bottles and cans.

MrHolland, Mar 19, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

I always find myself ordering this beer at the bar. For a good session, I can't think of anything better. Pours blacker than a Saharan night during an eclipse. Nitro bubbles rise and fall in a hypnotizing dance that invites a sip. Head is a thick, dense, and tan. Smells like toasty malt, hops are nowhere in the nose. Once in the mouth it loses some of its luster. It has that toasty, dry malt I love, but it is just plain watery compared to other offerings. Drinkability? I can drink Guinness until I blackout. Low ABV and the watered down taste makes it slip down as easy as taking a breath. I consider this the finest "macro" brew, and turn to it whenever the goal is tying one on.

PenguinBeerFan, Mar 19, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -43.3%

Poured a few inches into a glass from nitro-bottle to check appearance. Shiny dark-brown with a tan head that faded quickly. Thick walls of lace after a few sips.

Like the aroma a lot: roasted malt up front, with a whiskey-like, oak-barrel thing coming next, also a vibe of rum-soaked raisins.

Drank from the bottle, as instructed on the bottle itself. A flat wateriness intrudes first and foremost. Smoke and burnt malt show through most, which turns me off. It's not a flavor I can give high marks to, and with the absolutely awful flatness, I found this completely unenjoyable. I had a Guinness on tap once in Dublin and felt the same way, so I don't think it's this nitro-bottle thing. It's just not for me.

[note: drank a second bottle "extra cold", which is suggested on the bottle, and it helped the drinkability slightly. Still tasted awful.]

Metalmonk, Mar 18, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +14%

What would St. Patrick's Day be with out some Guinness?

First time I have bought the nitro cans in a while so this is my first review.

The appearance is not as good as I'd hoped and certainly not as good as the tap version. The canned version doesn't appear as dark and thick as the tap pour. In fact, it is easier to see the deep reddish color than the opague black that you usually associate with this beer.

Smell is typically malty and British. Nice roasted aroma but also hints of metal.

Taste is exceptional. Roasted, dry malt flavors. Very smooth

Mouthfeel is where this beer excels. The mouthfeel is of thick stout but the beer is in fact very light. A weird balance to say the least. The nitro pour also adds quite a bit of body.

Drinkability is fantastic. I could go all night with this beer and have on occasion. Not heavy or overly alcoholic but very smooth and tasty.

Terp96, Mar 18, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Top-a-the-mornin to ya!

Happy St. Patricks day, and to celebrate the occassion a Guinness draft was in order... on-tap of course. The draft came in one of those Guinness glasses that I think they had specifically for the beer since most people were drinking their green-dyed Bud Light drafts out of regular barware. Regardless, it was dark, smooth, creamy (well, not really creamy, but you know what I mean) and the head was that of a stout; thick and, well, thick.

People joke about drinking Guinness with a spoon, but I find it to be a very smooth beer. It's easy to drink, thanks mostly to its low alcohol content and goes down smooth, if not slightly bitter. It's certainly not the best stout on the market, but it's definitely the most famous. Considering it was St. Patrick's Day, I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

So, if on no other occassion, celebrating the day of the Irish is a great to sample an authentic Irish stout you can get just about anywhere; because we all know, Killian's Irish Red is not from Ireland. Slainte!

KFaulkner, Mar 18, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

bought a bottle at world market in lansing, michigan.
pours a deep mohagony almost black, with a pillowy beige head; left some lace down the side of the glass.
the aroma is roasty, yeasty, and something i can not place my finger on.
the flavor is roasty, bit of hop spice, hint of coffee, twinkly of plum.
the mouthfeel is a bit light, watery, i know a dry stout is not a heavy beer but i feel (and from what i had from ireland) this canadian contract brew seems a little light.
beer is very drinkable but i know it can be better, i have had guiness from ireland and this just does not match up imo.

plaztikjezuz, Mar 18, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Had a draft Guinness on St. Patrick's Day. Nice creamy head that stayed for the whole drink. Good lacing on the glass. Nice dark (black) color. Some roasted malt smell. Taste was ok, malt taste...goes down smooth . Mouthfeel is a little thin, was expecting more richness. No bitterness or weird aftertaste. This is not an exceptional beer, but it is smooth and easy to drink. This is a good session beer.

JayQue, Mar 18, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer goes down as one of the controversials. It was better in the past, it's better now, it's watered down, it's a classic, it goes on and on. Quite simply, this is my fall-back draft beer. It's available almost everywhere and with rare exceptions it's patronized enough to be consistent in quality. Forget the bashers and various odd comments. Enjoy it if you like. Here's my short review:

Classic black color with that fun to watch carbonation cascade and the nitro head that lasts the whole drink. Taste is not going to overwhelm most anyone and it's lighter than appearances suggest. Very easy to drink steadily (session beer?) and my tasting is based on hanging with a group at a pool hall last night. Very nice to quaff in a slightly smokey atmosphere.

barleywinebrewer, Mar 17, 2006
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

A - Dark, reddish brown. Creamy nitro-head and sticky lace.

S - Roasted, coffee aromas dominate, with some grainy notes.

T - Toasted bitterness and a slight tartness. Dry, slightly hoppy finish.

M - Medium bodied- maybe light for a stout? Could be I'm spoiled on that count.

D - Decent. I prefer this to the extra stout, although maybe it's the nitro and not the beer. Gimmick or not, the nitro-head is a goodthing.

allergictomacros, Mar 17, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +6%

St. Patrick's Day is nigh upon us, and I had yet to find a bartender in the Greater Toronto Area who knew the makings of a perfect pint of Guinness. So, naturally, I had to take matters into my own hands, and I purchased a 'grab and go' four-pack of Guinness nitro cans - actually brewed in Ireland, unlike the bottles and various other Guinness incarnations.

It's been a long time since my first sip of Guinness, at age fifteen (I loathed it), and every time I try it, I find myself liking it more and more. Let's see if this trend continues.

The pour, as always, is absolutely gorgeous. Not as good as a perfect pour on draught, but it takes significantly less than 118 seconds to get this baby out of the bottle and into my pint glass. The beautiful signature cascading bubbles, the black-as-night body with just hints of brown and ruby around the edges, and the beautiful, creamy looking substantial off-white head are all here. The head retains well, and leaves a spectacular amount of lacing. No problems here - this looks delicious.

The smell is also quite enjoyable. Usually my pints of Guinness are in smoke-filled pubs where it's hard to really get a handle on the stellar smell - roasted malts, creamy, cappucino, with burnt coffee and slightly chocolatey notes. Toffee, caramel, a little smoky.

Taste, however, isn't quite up to par with genuine pub draught Guinness. At the very forefront, quite sweet for only a couple of seconds (but a little metallic). Burnt flavours dominate quickly after; coffee, toffee, hints of chocolate, but all smokey, and with a bit too much burnt-ness for my personal liking. Bitter and dry on the finish, though not extremely so, and with an unusual, but not utterly unpleasant aftertaste. Would probably pare better with a food to match it then it does on its own (possibly why I recall liking it more, since I used to consume Guinness and wings by the plate). Nothing particularly impressive, but they're doing something right.

Mouthfeel is a mixed bag. The body initially feels rather thick and full-bodied as it passes the lips, but quickly reveals itself to be thin (a bit too watery) as it rolls over the tastebuds. I can see where the perception of Guinness as a 'heavy' beer comes from, but whoever believes this must have spit theirs' out before even tasting it. Carbonation, however, is top-notch - subtle, not too excessive at all. Almost, perfect even.

Drinkability is also rather high. Guinness just begs to be consumed in two or three pints at a time. Beyond the bitterness, it's smooth, rich and just complex enough to be rewarding (but not too rewarding). American macros could really take a lesson from Guinnes Draught. And while its far superior on tap (but only especially so in the 'taste' department), I would never turn it down from a can - and in fact, I'll probably eventually buy more next year, when I still haven't found a bartender's who's mastered the Guinness 'perfect pour.'

headlessparrot, Mar 17, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +14%

Ah, who doesn't enjoy watching a glass of mother's milk build itself? This review is based off a nitro bottle but I can't tell if there is much difference between this and the nitro can.

Pours a jet black with a nice head that is sort of the color on a cappacino. The head is frothy and hangs around the whole time I'm drinking this. The nose is toffee, chocolate, coffee, and roasted barley.

The mouth is incredibly smoothe but a little water. All the essences from the nose are present in the taste. The finish is medium but builds up over time. While it isn't a very strong stout I can always do a session of these. Since it is so widely available it is one of my fall back beers when other hard to finds aren't around.

custardcb, Mar 12, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +4%

Bought from a local superstore.
Been meaning to review this brew but never seemed to get around
to it.
Appearance is spot on. Dark w/ ruby hues running through it if you
hold it up to the light. It has a one inch creamy head that thins as
it sits w/ no lacing.
Smell is toffie, mocha and burnt coffee aromas.
Taste....burnt coffee and toffie dominates and finishes dry.
Mouthfeel is watery and thin....other dry stouts offer a better
mouthfeel than this brew does.
Drinkability is rather good since this beer will not load you up like
other stouts will. It will make a good session beer but I have to
believe that Guinness you get from the tap or over the pond is
better than this export. All in all an avarage stout..nothing
remarkable but still a good beer.

Rob6852, Mar 09, 2006
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.