Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

Well here we go, finally the world-renowed Guinness Draught gets a review from me.

Appearance-poured into my Smuttynose pint, nitro-sound, cascading nitro head, fairly black color, ultra creamy head although maybe not as big as it should be?

Smell-charred barely, hints of chocolate and coffee, sweet roasted malt as well.

Taste-charred bitter taste, some notes of chocolate and coffee but really subdued, creamy yet bland somehow. Thick but somehow syrupy for a stout.

Mouthfeel-decent enough, creamy and with a slight aftertaste of coffee. Pretty good.

Drinkability-less alcohol and calories than budweiser, if you can handle the thickness your fine.

Overall-Dissapointing, what has happened to this beer? A dilluted down version of itself even among Dry Irish stouts. Beamish has much more flavor, give that a try instead.

TheDeuce, Apr 02, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: I only poured about two-thirds of the beer into a pint glass and drank the rest from the bottle (I’ve heard from a number of folks that drinking from bottle is the only way to really taste this particular beer).

Appearance: At first an interesting cascading carbonation effect that is associated with nitro-taps. After that there is a truly creamy and sustaining light tan head of roughly a quarter-inch. Impressively, the head sustains throughout the whole time I was drinking the beer (wow!). The beer is almost entirely black in color with some very dark ruby hues coming through as well.

Aroma: The beer has that familiar nitro sweetness to it that is very present in the aroma. I can also smell some roasted coffee scents as well but they are somewhat masked by the nitro stench.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Compared to many other beers the mouthfeel of this particular brew has a medium body, but is very thin when compared to most other stouts. In fact, relative to many other dry stouts it’s actually quite light and watery. The nitro “funk” is also very present in the taste, but the roastiness and coffee flavors come through very nicely. There is also some very mild grain and caramel flavors, with a smooth overall chocolate character as well. When sipped from the bottle the beer tastes a little sweeter and the roasted flavors come through a bit better. A strong roasted coffee bitterness in the finish. There is very little hop character to this beer.

Overall it’s a good beer, but I really can’t stand what the nitro tap does to beers like this: while it gives the beer a nice sustaining head, it adds this unpleasant sweetness to it that I think detracts from the overall aroma and flavor of the beer. Also, it’s pretty thin and watery for a stout. On the other hand, because this beer is fairly light and drinkable, it would make a great session beer (which can’t be said about too many dry-stouts out there, IMHO). Also, the bottle says that this beer has less than 130 calories per 12oz serving, so for anyone on a diet, I’d imagine that this is easily a much more flavorful choice than just about any other “light” beer out there. Still, even though beers of this style are prized for their roasted maltiness, I would have liked to have smelled and tasted more hop character. All and all, not amazing, but pretty good. Recommended.

arguemaniac, Mar 31, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -14.6%

Popped the cap and heard the "Rocket Widget Delivering me the Great Taste of Guinness Draught".
Appearance - Black with just a glimpse of ruby when held up to the light. The Nitro kinda captures the classic Guinness head for like a millisecond, then it's just a half a finger of tan head.
Smell - Sweet with light tones of roasted malt and an almost "milky" smell.
Taste - Not much here really. Somewhat creamy roasted coffee flavor, a little bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel - Medium to full body.
Drinkability - I think the drinkability on this is pretty good. Not my favorite but very smooth and easy. Relatively low abv lets you throw back a few.

Chadbrew, Mar 31, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

While i always considered this the standard for a stout i was disappointed when i actually sat down to review it. I drank it from one of the nitro bottles. Maybe the bottling process causes it to loose some of its appeal vs the keg served variety in a bar that i am used to. As stated on the bottle i did not pour into a glass and drank straight from the bottle. I also find it funny that the bottle says to drink cold (i always thought you should drink it at around 50)

My appearance rating is based on the wonderful head and great dark color you get when getting it out of a keg at a bar. Basically the beer had little taste or smell and left me wanting more. A big disappointment.

beermanbrian, Mar 29, 2005
2.9/5  rDev -16.9%

Haven't had a Guinness for quite some time, and one of my roommates offered one up to help finish off the St. Patrick's Day stock. What a disappointment. Sure, I may have been about 17 years old when I last had a Guiness, but in those last 5 years it seems amazing that my perceptions could change THIS much. I remember a brew that was completely impermeable to all light and that was damn near completely intolerable because of the dryness and the bitter roastiness of the malt. Now all I taste is a creamy, watery substance with a very small residual hint of the roasted barley. The beer even shines through a small hint of ruby, though I suppose it is still dark enough that I could have exaggerated the intensity in my youth. The head is a sticky, creamy foam, actually looks quite appealing. The smell was decent too, but the richness of the aroma was lost in the taste, which as I said was like water. No dryness to be spoken of. No wonder so many masses of mindless Americans are able pound so much of this shit each year on the day where everybody suddenly thinks they are Irish. It wasn't totally bad, but for the stout I remember, it was VERY disappointing. I'll stick to Rogue's Shakespeare, Chocolate, or Imperial Stouts when I have the craving for something a little roasty.

neonbrown82, Mar 27, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

This beer pours a thick white head with tiny bubbles that lasts through the glass. The body of the beer is almost black but has a ruby tinge. Aroma is all malt. Taste is roasted malt with a barely detectable hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is creamy. Drinkablity is good, a great session beer but probably would get boring after a few.

zacharius, Mar 25, 2005
2.3/5  rDev -34.1%

I wanted to wait until I got to Ireland and had a taste of Guiness in its homeland to make this review, and I finally did. I could not be more disappointed. The idea that this average (at best) stout tastes better in a Dublin pub than it does at, say, a Times Square tourist trap, is nothing but myth. It's served just as cold in the pubs of Ireland (and I went to several throughout the west, south, and in Dublin) as it is here. The appearance makes this beer, while the lack of any sort of flavor beyond a bland feint, nondistinctive, cold coffee effect ruins the legend. I always suspected that Guiness was nothing more than marketing and myth; know I know. Don't believe the hype of this Hibernian Budweiser.

TheGipper, Mar 22, 2005
3.4/5  rDev -2.6%

Like a lot of us, I really used to like Guinness when I first got into drinking better beer. Since I've been checking out this site and trying new beers all the time I really kind of forgot about it and haven't had it in a while. Last night in honor of St. Patty's I started my night off with a Guinness on tap. I really wasn't too impressed. I mean it still has those typical Guinness things that you like; the nice classic Guinness appearance, the easy quaffability, etc... But it's really not that tasty to me anymore. There are better dry stouts. So I was thinking this last night and then my thoughts seemed to be backed up by the forum post about the declining quality of Guinness over the years. It's definately been popularized and rather macro-ized and really has kind of become a characature of itself. I prefer it out of the can for the cascade effect but really it's kind of just become a novelty act.

twelvsies, Mar 18, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

I don't know why I'm reviewing this. If you've never had Guinness you must be from another planet. However, after having a few of these recently I figured what the hell, I'll post my thoughts.

I prefer the nitro cans poured into a glass, but straight from the bottle ain't bad either. It's the most easy drinking stout out there, which isn't to say it is the best stout. I ordered a bottle at a restaurant and couldn't believe how fast I drank it. So I got another and did the same thing. It's almost like a stout light. Very average on all levels compared to good stouts, but this is the most drinkable session stout I can think of. Great with almost all types of food.

Gruntlumber, Mar 18, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer pours a slightly rubied dark dark brown to black color with a finger of tight foam over top. The nose is nice and roasty, right about where I expect things to be. The flavor is nice, but a little thin for me. I want a bit more full flavor. The aftertaste has a nice bitter roasty quality to it. The feel is moderate and creamy. Overall, the aftertaste keeps me coming back to this beer time and time again. Its not as dry as others I have had in the past couple of days. I think Guinness may have been toppled as the best irish stout in my book. I still like and enjoy it, but it seems to be missing something here.

kmpitz2, Mar 18, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +16%

It's St. Patrick's Day so I'm reviewing Guinness. I obtained my Guinness in one of those 14.9 oz. cans. Guinness pours a black color with no light to be seen through it. What little light appears around the edges of the glass is an extremely dark reddish brown. The creamy off-white head is about one finger high and stays on top of the beer producing a good web of lacing on the glass. The smell is of coffee and roasted malt with a slight burnt character as well. The taste is of coffee and cream, and bitter roasted malt. Mouthfeel is creamy smooth with hardly any carbonation. Guinness is a great beer, but certainly not the end all be all of beer. I'd have another though.

tomthumbsblues, Mar 17, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured dark opaque brown, nice creamy head that retained well, smell was of roasted coffee, taste was a creamy mocha, bith a slight bitterness toward the end, mouthfeel was little carbonation, and a bit creamy, drinkability is excellent IMO, although I have had Stouts I liked better, this is nice!

steinlifter, Mar 17, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance - I don't think you can beat the appearance of Guinness in a nitro tap. Upside down bubble action, excellent creamy head with good retention and lace. Dark!

Smell - There's not as much to this beer as I would like. Slight roasty malt aroma.

Taste - Dry is right. Roasty and burnt flavor dominate. But it has that special tang to it at the end that makes it special! Always reliable.

Mouthfeel - Creamy mouthfeel, and smooth, despite being relatively heavy.

Drinkability - This beer is easy to consume, unless something like "flavor" gets in your way. It is not high in alcohol, but many folks still seem to shy away from this beer because of its color.

Comments - I've noticed many reviews knocking pretty hard on this beer. To be sure, there are stouts out there that are more exciting in certain ways. However, this beer is a classic in my opinion. The beer probably also has played an important role in the advance of craft beer in the United States (again, in my opinion).

mgdeth, Mar 12, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Is this the most reviewed beer on BA? In my opinion it might be one of the most overated too. The appearance is good enough. Almost black in color with a sizable creamy head from the nitro. The aroma is lightly of roasted chocolate, but not strong or memorable. This is light on taste, it's unoffensive, but not notable. Roasted taste is noted, but seems too restrained. Taste is too watery for a stout and needs more character. I won't be picking this up again.

Gagnonsux, Mar 10, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Nitro tap pours with the creamiest of creamy heads and thick lacing all the way down the glass. Dark brown, not black.

Faint aroma... too faint to discern.

Flavor, mild toasted malts, far far too mild for a stout. Even milder bitterness. Not characteristic of a stout at all, maybe a cream stout?

Pretty thin body, quite dissapointing.

Goes down smooth and easy, considering its practically water.
Good, but seriously... This is not an irish stout.

beersarang, Mar 06, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -14.6%

Presentation: It was over 5 years that I had a Guinness. At that time, I didn't liked that brew, but I am giving it another try with this 14oz nitro can. So, I don't start with overated or underrated opinion, neither the 300+ years history of this brewer will influence me. Others brewers such as Molson in Canada or some Europeans are old brewers too. According to the official Guinness website, Guinness Draught is only brewed since 1961.

Appearance: It's darker than coffee. The nitrogen helps it to produce an awesome brew to look perfect. I loved it to pour and to watch its great neck.

Smell: Very weak. Some roasted grain smell with hoppy finish.

Taste: A mix of roasted coffee grain and water.

Mouthfeel: Way too watery, but with a bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: This second time, I enjoyed more my drinking time, but I am disappointed by its lack of taste and personnality. After it is poured in your glass, it is like drinking cold coffee. I hope that I missed something and I hope to review it again.

Barraclou, Mar 05, 2005
3.35/5  rDev -4%

I have to admit - I am not that thrilled about the beer, but a well poured Guinness settling is one of the most beautiful sights on earth. The beer is good - but not all that many Guinness junkies claim. It is a nice dry stout - smooth and easy to drink. At many "Irish" bars in the US it is the closest you can get to real beer, so it fills a nice niche. The malt bill is impressive - it does have a nice deep malt taste and aroma.

rowew, Mar 04, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

I think this is one of the most gorgeous looking beers. The pour is so much fun to watch. It’s almost black in my pint glass. The head is so pretty and creamy. Smells are of dark coffee and malts.

The taste however is very disappointing. It’s very weak and I would even say watery. It doesn’t have a lot of character.

Its like a trophy beer.. all appearance and no substance.

maltedmilk, Feb 22, 2005
4.53/5  rDev +29.8%

there is something about guinness that always makes me happy. maybe its the great memories it conjures up, sitting in an irish pub with my grandfather, sawdust on the floor, the smell of stale beer in the air, a coca cola in front of me, and the dream of someday owning my own pub, or playing major league baseball, or being a proffessional cyclist. Well a bar owner it is, a bar with of course, guinness on tap. I am probably a little biased in my review of guinness, there might be other stouts out there that may technically have a better mouth feel, or slightly more complex aromas, but none of them have what guinness has. There isnt another beer out there that commands such love as guinness.This
is what sets guinness apart, what makes it special. I love beer of all styles,colors, countries, and continents. I have made beer, read about beer, written about it, and made a living selling it. I will always come back to guinness.

edchef1850, Feb 18, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Ahhh, Guinness. The one who opened my eyes to better beer.

Though not the best tasting beer I've ever had, Guinness is an old faithful for me. After many a pint I have finally had the presence of mind to post on it.

As is often said, Guinness is best enjoyed out of a tap, but for lack of a kegerator I enjoyed it out of a nitro can. There is nothing like the look of a Guinness pour with the cascade joy that ensues, it is as the slogan says "Brilliant!" The beer is just not as thick out of the can however and the effect doesn't last for long, although I had a nice creamy head on my glass for the duration of the experience. It smells of coffee and dark roasted malt and tastes of it too with a good dry bitterness on the palate. Compared to some other stouts it is not nearly as full bodied in the mouth but this does assist me in drinking large quantities of the ol' black stuff.

Everyone should have at least one pint of Guiness draught in their lifetime, and that is all there is to it.

wisnerd, Feb 16, 2005
3.28/5  rDev -6%

Oh yes, good ol' Guinness, is it just me, or does it seem like Guinness from a bottle or can is just wrong somehow? I've always liked the tap version, it seems much more full and rich.

Anyhow, this one pours from a widget laden bottle giving the pint that classic Guinness nitro head. Creamy and very nice on the lips. Smell is okay, subdued, roasted malt and a bit of a bitter smell. Taste is... well, not what you'd expect it to be if you've only had it draft. Malty with a prevailing bitterness that trails into nothing, very little aftertaste. Mouthfeel is thin and surprising as if you just look at the pint, it looks like the perfect stout, thick and chewy, but no, disappointing.

I think I'll stay away from Guinness in this form, it just doesn't live up the name I don't think.

Gaisgeil, Feb 16, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a very dark, reddish around the edges, beer with the very special Guinness foam that comes from the nitro, stays on top of the beer throughout drinking.

Smell is better than can version. Dark, roasted with clear dry and bitter traces. Somewhat malty but generally nice.

Taste is dark, roasted and malty. Its bitter with a dry malt touch to it, served a bit could to bring out all the taste though.

Guinness is guinness, whether or not you like it ;) This beer should be on tap, not on can or bottle. The only decent guinness on bottle is the foreign extra which taste even better than this one.

Still, Guinness is a classic.

stjarnflikka, Feb 14, 2005
3.85/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured from the nitro can into a snifter. By far the most beautiful beer I've ever seen. The only reason I avoid giving it a five is because of my inexperience. The body is utterly black, and it's amazing to see the wonderfully creamy tan head rise out of the liquid in the famous cascading effect. The width of the snifter allows the beer to spread out, forming a huge pool of miniscule tan buddles, almost too small to see.

Smell: Light, which belies it's dark character. Slight malts competing (and slightly beating out) slight hops.

Taste: Initial dark malts, including hints of coffee and chocolate. Nothing very pronounced, but very smooth. Hop bitterness comes in at the end in a perfect balance (that is, very light to match the malts)

Mouthfeel: Smooth, very thick and mouth-coating. Has a creamy element to it. The most satisfying stout I've had in terms of mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Superb! It's so smooth and has such a low ABV that it's no problem. It may not be very complex, but sometimes that's ok.

Notes: Like Corona, a geniously marketed import. Unlike Corona, Guinness has quality to back up the hype. I'd heard that Guinness was "like a meal." That is definitely not true. Although it is pretty thick, the calories and heaviness don't allow me to agree. 12 oz of Mountain Dew has 170 cal, while a Guinness has only 126. I drank 9 cans of this and a pint on my birthday, so it gets big points for drinkability.

mjc410, Feb 11, 2005

Had on-tap @ the Lava Lounge in Waterloo, Iowa..

I asked the bartender if their Guinness was on nitro-tap. He said it was regular Co2 but explained that it was a slow-pour tapper. He wasn't kidding... It took almost 3 minutes to completely fill the glass. When it got to me, it had the characteristic black color but not the dense, ultratight head that the nitro has. Still, a damn good looking beer nonetheless.

Same roasted aroma and taste that you'd expect from Guinness, creamy mouthfeel and smooth going down. I noticed that Guinness on nitro is more creamy and has a better mouthfeel and look thanks to the dense head, but felt that the nitro takes a little bit away from the taste. Still a great session beer and a great fallback on-tap if there's nothing better around.

hero27, Feb 09, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

poured this from a nitro-can with the widget technology. Made a cool sputtering noise when I popped it open. Nice deep dark color with a large foamy head that stays throughout. Has an interesting flavor, almost a roasted taste. The mouthfeel is very smooth, and easy to drink. A decent session beer, but avoid the bottled form at all costs!

theo871, Feb 08, 2005
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.