Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a deep brown, with that big creamy cream head, impossibly slow to fall. Lace is extremely thick, leaving stain of a similar quality that create a second wall on the glass. Eerily attractive from the nitrogen but must give it some credit. Smell was faintly of dark chocolate mixed with oak, with some lighter oaky and roasty scents too. Not easy to sniff. Taste begins with the lightly creamy taste of the abundant head, then comes the thin dark malts and roasted barley, oaky notes, and ends with a short to medium finish of similar burnt flavors. That very thin mouthfeel strikes too close to water, makes it feel as weak as the taste, though this does get alleviated by the hyper-creamy head to a thicker feel.

I wonder what it would be like if we got the original Irish recipe, draughting, and serving temperature...

nomad, Sep 08, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Not bad, but I've always considered Guinness' most appealing element to be it's silk-like smoothness. This, of course, is from the nitrogen it's either kegged or bottled with. Otherwise, apart from it's appealing crispness, I've never found anything about this beer to write home about. Instead, I always find myself wondering what other beers would be like with a nitro tap...

ithacabaron, Sep 06, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

The Guinness draught pours a jet black with the beautiful creamy off white head that lasts forever. One could go into a Zen like state watching the head cascade and form. The smell is of roasted malts and grains, with heavy coffee, and chocolate notes. The taste is similar with flavours of coffee, chocolate and caramel. There is some bitterness from the roasted malts, not so much from the hops. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a touch of dryness at the backend..This is a great session beer as the low ABV keeps you from getting too loopy. But be careful, as too many of these in a night can do frightening things to your innards

TinusTime, Sep 05, 2003
3.2/5  rDev -8.3%

Say what you will about nitrogen and it's effects on taste etc., but it's hard to find a better looking beer than this. Black in color with a head that looks like meringue. Cascading effects are very cool. Very smooth and velvety taste/mouth feel, kind of artificial. Lots of roasted malt flavors somewhat chewy in texture. Some lasting bitterness for the finish. Pretty damn good for coming out of the can.

chaduvel, Sep 02, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

A true classic among beers, I was re aquanted with it tonight on tap at Dave&Busters. The bar tender even knew how to pour it correctly, I was shocked! Anyways, it poured that great dark black color with a great creamy head that stayed throughout the whole glass. It smelled of roasted coffee and chocolate and tasted pretty much the same. The mouthfeel was great and creamy and it really opened up once it hit your tounge with a bit of a tingle. I could have drank it all night, but at 4 bucks a pint glass my pocketbook was saying "no". This is one macro that still tastes fucking great!

Dmann, Aug 30, 2003
3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

It seems rather strange to drink this Guinness right from the bottle, as the directions on said bottle told me to do so. I'd had this nitro bottle before and didn't follow the directions and poured it into a glass. I really liked the sheeting action from it.

This time, points get deducted because I can't see the damn beer. It's dark....I'll give it that. Aromas are still on the thin side. Some coffee, chocolate, and nuts. Taste was a little fuller than expected, but still nothing great, with the roasted coffee and chocolate trying to show some muscle but really not doing much of anything. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Drinkability suffers since I really enjoy the "visuals" associated with a well-poured Guinness. I'll still take a fresh pint over any botte, nitro-bottle, nitro-can, etc.

OldFrothingSlosh, Aug 25, 2003
4.68/5  rDev +34.1%

These new nitro bottles have been staring me down from the shelves and coolers this past year, taunting me, even heckling me when I'd consistently pass them by for a 6 of something else. I'm at odds, I love trying new stuff that I find, but at the same time I inherently distrust any new changes to old norms. This would be one of them. Guinness in a bottle, with a widget? Oh it's a mad world. And they recommend that you drink it straight from the bottle. Yeah, fat chance fellas...

Poured it from it's 330 ml nitro bottle straight into a Guinness pint glass (regulation size I think....). Good Golly Miss Molly, that is probably THE most beautiful pour I have ever witnessed from a bottle (or any other vessel). Same traditional Guinness pour, nitrogen cascade slowly leveling upwards in a shower of tan layers until only a black curtain remains, topped by a thick beige head that leaves a spiderweb network of lacing all the way down the pint glass. I am very impressed. Aroma of roasted malt and coffee, very inviting. Flavour to match as well, mouthfeel is thick and creamy, rich and satisfying. I could drink this all year. Guinness used to be my standard ever since I was legal, I used to swear by it. Over the years it became a bit too much of a pop culture phenomenon, passe, and I've drifted away due to this image and in search of different stouts. Still, it's wonderful to come home like this. If only all macros were brewed to this caliber. High volume consistency is an art form in itself when it comes to this sort of quality. I've always loved the extra stout, but when it comes to buying draught at the beer store, mine will now always come in bottles. Halelujah!

IronDjinn, Aug 23, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Dark black color, large creamy head, is there anything more pretty in beerland than a Guinness pour? Rich caramel malts, strong roasted malt flavor, nearly chocolate. A Guinness is a Guinness.. Finish is smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. For a MASS produced craft beer, it a nice beer,

beerguy101, Aug 20, 2003
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Pint glass

Pours a thick black. Very dense. Great grey head. Excellent lacing. A very nice bitter bread, coffee scent.

Taste is burnt coffee(Sanka? Just kidding), dark unsweetened chocolate and deep toasted bread flavors. Some dryness follows the aftertaste.

Nice and heavy mouthfeel. Very dense on the tongue. A crisp finish. I enjoy this stout from the tap. I do not like it from the can or the draught bottle. Waters the flavors down.

Rumrunner, Aug 15, 2003
4.65/5  rDev +33.2%

Who can't like a Guinness? I mean really, can you be a beer drinker and not like the rich creamy lovliness of a Guinness? I'd have to say that all stouts should be judged from this one. Well, if you're not familiar with it, here comes my review. It pours a dark black - completely denying any light that tries to pass it through. The head is perfect (always): large, thick, creamy white head that will stick around until you're done with the beer. It leaves a nice bit of lacing on the glass too. The flavor is very rich and full. Mostly sweet coffee and chocolate in the flavor with some maltiness underneath. The aftertaste has the coffee/chocolate hint as well and leaves you with a milk mustache. Wonderful. The only thing that can even compare with this stout (that I've found) is the Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout.

clvand0, Aug 13, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +24.1%

I'm surprised its taken me this long to review this beer. Its such a standard. The appearance is quite definitive, which counts for a lot. From across the room you know its a Guinness. Nice shapely imperial pint, creamy off-white head that takes up the top 1/2 inch of the glass. Below is a midnight black liquid through which no light passes.

The aroma is of dry, peated malts. Hops are probably used in this beer, but its not apparent, either in aroma or flavor. Its affect are known though partly as a balance to the lactic sour. A sip is a nice experience, as it leaves a drip of foam on the mustache. Instantly dry feeling in the mouth as the smokey and peaty liquid moves through the mouth, the sour backend and dry mouth feel are almost one of a kind.

freed, Aug 11, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -4%

The version of this you get in pubs is one of my favorite beers ever. That just makes what comes in the bottle an absolute dissapointment. I'll confess, I'd rather drink this than 2/3rds of the beers out there, but it falls so far short of the tap that you spend all your time wishing you were back at the pub. The drinker shouldn't be left wishing for more like that. If nothing better is available though, then by all means, drink it!

SetarconeX, Aug 03, 2003
3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

This sample from a can poured a small creamy head of fine light brown mostly lasting bubbles and an opaque dark brown colored body. It has a mild malt aroma and a mild coffee flavor with notes of chocolate with a mouthfeel that contains a slight lingering after bite.

TheDM, Jul 23, 2003
3.7/5  rDev +6%

We all know the situation. You're in an irish style pub and look at the tap selection. Swill, swill, swill, ah, I'll have a guinness. Black in color with a creamy nitro head. Aroma is of roasted coffee. Taste is mostly coffee as well. Very drinkable, makes me wish it wasn't so overpriced. It doesn't come close to many other stouts out there, but due to its widespread availability, it's certaintly a blessing.

dmarch, Jul 23, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

What you have heard is true.

This is not the best stout in the world. When we're talking about real stouts — Bell's Kalamazoo, for example — we're talking about an intensity of flavors and aromas and body so dense you ladle the beer into bowls.

Guinness Draught, however, is a great stout — just on the other end of the stout spectrum. Think Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout, even Rogue Shakespeare (which so many users here have rated so high). These beers don't make you puck your lips and bend over; they are simply great beers. And Guinness Draught is a great beer.

I've had it every way you can. The nitro-can is the most impressive. I don't know how it works (or what that little ping-pong ball inside the can actually does), but Guinness Draught cans are as good as tap. The bottle is another story; it lacks body and depth. (Also, you get more bang for your buck with the pint cans over of the glass-sized bottles).

This brew offers hints of caramel, coffee, chocolate, everything you would expect, all subdued. Light hops on the finish. The key to this beer is its balance. This is the best balanced beer anywhere in the world.

The flavors are not mellowed, as some would argue, to suit an American audience. The cans are not the same as European tap, but it's pretty damn close (believe me, I've had both). There's a reason this beer is so creamy, a reason why they went through the trouble of designing a can that could insure the creaminess on every pour; this beer was intended to be swished around in the mouth, lace not only down your glass, but down your throat. As with any fine liquor, this is to be savored. If you let your tongue do what it does best, there's a world of delight here whether you like burnt-malt heavy stouts or sourpuss IPA's.

Forget the label; don't let "stout" scare or dissapoint you. Whether you drink Busch, Rogue, Duvel, or Chimay: you will enjoy this immensely.

Get the cans and, for the love of God, don't serve it chilled.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Jul 23, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +16%

I first had this in England when I was 18 and fell in love with it. I Still enjoy it to this day.

It pours brownish black with a massive waterfall of carbonation throughout the brew. Once this waterfall lets up, it's black with a thick,creamy white head. Aroma is on tons of bready malt, with some coffee and chocolate aromas. The taste actually reminds me of hard italian bread crust. There's a nice bitter finish with some coffee/chocolate notes. Mouthfeel is smooth & creamy, just excellent. The benchmark for stouts, and a great beer at that.

avylover, Jul 20, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +14%

This is my first review, whee.

Guinness Draught, from what I gather, is almost Guinness' equivalent of light beer. And it's insanely better than anything I've tried with the word "light" on the packaging.

I got this at the local provincial liquor mart, including taxes it cost me $3.13 CDN per can. At that price, it's definitely nothing I'd use to actually get drunk, but it tastes great.

The taste and smell remind me of gourmet coffee, with a hint of chocolate. And that coffee taste sure does linger for quite awhile.

Guinness Draught went down very smooth for me, so smooth that I was tempted to chug it very quickly. Then I remembered what I paid for it.

Overall, a highly drinkable beer. I'd definitely be able to drink a few pints of this without thinking twice.

sardonic, Jul 20, 2003
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

The nitro version of Guinness does an admirable job of attempting to retain the qualities of the Extra Stout while adding that nitro-boost that is supposed to help the mouthfeel and appearance. Flavorwise, it isn't quite as impressive as Extra Stout (from now on referred to as "ES" in this review). Supposedly this one was really brewed in Ireland (no mention of Canada anywhere on the packaging).

Guinness Draught opens with a rather loud hiss and pours a deep dark/near black color with some hints of brown. Appearance is slightly more murky than ES. Perhaps it was the way I poured it, but the head, while still nice, wasn't quite as expansive as ES. Definite coolness in the cascading effect, as the lighter, chocolate milk colored half rises from the bottom to the top forming the head and leaving behind the richly dark colors. Head has a nice cappocino color to it, and resembles the froth of the aforementioned beverage. Some sticky, spider-web like lace is left behind. Smell is lighter than ES: some roasted grains in the nose and something that was almost medicine-like (perhaps similar to Ben-Gay?!??). The mouthfeel is great. Smooth and creamy, but somewhat like skim milk as well. Reminds of the mouthfeel of an iced coffee. The taste is lighter/waterier than ES. Typical roasted grains, perhaps with some more chocolate notes than ES. Another iced coffee comparision can be made regarding the flavor. Some modest dryness and bitterness. Aftertaste doesn't have that long, lingering bitterness that ES has. Some leftover roasted coffee and bitterness notes, and this beer finishes off with some alcohlic warmth.

This is somewhat like a Guinness Light. I have had a nitro-bottle of this before and the can far surpases the bottle. Altogether, not as flavorful or as bitter as Guinness Extra Stout, but perhaps a bit easier to drink.

Beastdog75, Jul 18, 2003
3.25/5  rDev -6.9%

Can. When this beer was poured into my glass, it poured with a very long-lasting tan, creamy, thick head with small-medium sized bubbles. There was lacing on all sides of my glass. This stout has a strong coffee taste in my opinion and one that lingers.

hotstuff, Jul 10, 2003
3.43/5  rDev -1.7%

I would venture to guess that this is most people's entry point into stouts. I used to love this stuff, with its velvety mouthfeel and slight hints of peat in there, but since I've started expanding my horizons, I find that there are just so many better-tasting examples of a stout out there. I will, however, never turn a pint of this stuff down. It's an old friend....

euskera, Jul 09, 2003
2.17/5  rDev -37.8%

Went out for lunch, the only beers available were from AB or the Guinness draught, I got the Guinness, it does have a nice appearance, black in color with a huge creamy tan head, weak roasty aroma, bland and weak flavor, it is thin and watery, yet has a creamy mouthfeel from the nitro, overall very bland and flavorless, not much going on here.

maxpower, Jun 20, 2003
4.72/5  rDev +35.2%

I much prefer to drink Guinness on draft over a bottle any day. A nicely poured Guinness keeps it's look and taste all the way to the end. While this is a beer to enjoy while drinking it, I can easily find myself and a friend putting away a pitcher over the course of dinner.

yosh, Jun 13, 2003
4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

The Spurs just lost a pivotal game four to the Nets in the NBA finals, making it an even series. I am on my third Guinness Draught in a nitro can and I'm still not over the loss. What does this have to do with reviewing a beer?

Texas law forbids ale under 6 percent alcohol to be labeled stout. A pint of bottled Guinness bought in Texas, therefore, was from separate batch with higher alcohol content. But the word "stout" appears nowhere on the draught cans, allowing the Guinness folks to produce their lower alcohol real deal. Now it is a session beer. Not great for drowining sorrows, but wonderful for an evening of drinking with friends.

The stout pours with the base note of beer, creating a ridiculously creamy tan head with falling bubbles. Black as the heart of Jack the Ripper. The smell is mild, but very malty that could best be described as walking into an Irish pub anywhere in the world.

The taste, which reminded me of used motor oil on my first sip in 1988, is a smooth, but dark roasted malt with almost enough hops for the balance.

TPoling, Jun 11, 2003
3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a beautiful black with a finger think layer of off-white/cream colored head. The sharp distinction between the head and the rest of the beer is part of what makes a Guinness so nice to look at in a glass (the wonderful cascade following pouring also contributes greatly to its attractiveness). The thick creamy head is very persistent (its there til the end), and sticks wherever it comes in contact with the glass. The smell is of roasted coffee with an oaky undertone. The taste is also of roasted malts with a coffee flavor. A bit of smokiness is also present. A very smooth and creamy mouthfeel leads to this being a rather drinkable beer.

tar, Jun 11, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours with a nice head. Head thins, leaving a dark beer and good lacing. Coffee, malt, and all the goodies Guiness is known for. Smooth as silk.

I buy regularly and drink when in the mood. My wife is not a beer drinker, but loves this stuff. The Stout standard.

thefireman, Jun 08, 2003
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.