Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,120 | Hads: 6,945
4.94/5  rDev +43.2%

Appearance - Dark, smoky, and inviting. Creamy, white head that is very inviting that appears like a scoop of cream on top. Nicely carbonated and alive.

Smell - Mild smoky aroma but not overpowering. Hints of clean malt and good earth.

Taste - Hints of chocolate, malt, and clean rain. Well balanced and refreshing. Not heavy.

Mouthfeel - Light, enjoyable, and very refreshing.

Overall - This is my favorite go-to beer and the standard I judge all other beers by. I would give this beer a 5.00 but I am holding out for that perfect beer in the hopes of one day finding it. If I do not find it, I will edit my rating to a 5.00.

4.92/5  rDev +42.6%

This is a very creamy tasting beer with an extremely smooth finish. A bit heavier in maltiness than most beers, but to be expected in a stout style beer. Best enjoyed a bit warmer than most Americans prefer their beer, but this allows you to really experience the full flavor and aroma of this exceptional beverage!

Not really a beer you will want to drink all night or after a heavy meal, since it will seem too rich and robust at that point, but best enjoyed early in your drinking session.

Terrific when coupled with Bass Ale to make a Black & Tan!

4.9/5  rDev +42%

As anyone reading, I drink a lot of beer. However, I never review beers, mainly because good beers tend to receive their credit, plus why would anyone really care what I have to say about beer, I'm not an expert? But I was curious, so I Googled Guinness and found its BA score; it is wrong. How have "beer experts" determined that what was once the gold standard is now deserving of a 77 score (or a 70, Bros)? Because it's not brewed by a couple hipsters in a trendy neighborhood? Because it is mass produced? It's delicious. It's beautiful. It's meant to taste unique. I've had better beers, but it is completely worthy of a 5/5 rating. It's a DRY Stout, emphasis on the dry. It makes you yearn for that next sip, just like a good cocktail. It is smooth and has a burnt toffee aftertaste, pours a deep black with a rich, thick, creamy head that laces the glass perfectly. It's incredibly made and gets better with more pours, A TRUE SESSION BREW before it had a name. It offers a very slight body with a sharply toasted malt smell, that of day old bread that does not overwhelm but rather compliments the taste. Very well made, it's clear why brewers and beer drinkers alike have enjoyed and respected this beer for decades. This should not be kept out of your rotation just because your grandparents have drank it, in fact, that's partially why you should drink it.

4.9/5  rDev +42%

Served from: 14.9 oz can poured into a pint glass.
Easily one of my all time favorites. Looks beautiful, with a nice thick head and dark coloration. Smells great too. The taste is a little watery, but it still tastes strongly of roasted coffee and chocolate. Reminds me of an iced mocha. Goes down very smooth. A classic.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

Guinness is my favourite beer. Available in most pubs and always a good stout. Quite filling and apparently can be good for you, being fairly high in iron and everything. If there's nothing else worth having there is always a good Guinness. Good stout this one.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

I have drank this beer from Tap to nitro can, nitro bottle, etc, etc. and have loved everyone of them!
From that beautiful looking head and great look as it all comes together and settles for a minute or so! Perfection!
Then that creamy chocolate aroma hits the nose and my mouth starts to water in anticipation of that O so wonderful creamy full taste I can drink this beer forever!
Thank you Mr. Guinness!!!

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

The guinness brewery put its flagship brand always on front of innovation, with this nitro can of a pint literally hit a ball of vanguard, its appearance, smell, and taste make feel like was in a irish pub widely recommendable, guinness is new brewer in my country, but start good and mantain its quality control is superior.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

One of my favorites! Because of it's low alcohol count I can have more than 2 pints without having that "buzz."

Delicious on tap...the can/bottle is okay if you are desperate, but the tap is where it is at...ONLY if the bartender pours it correctly.

Nicknamed "Blonde in a Black Dress" (by who knows who) Guinness is more than gimmicky paraphernalia.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

I LOVE Guinness. When pored well from a good pub there has never been a more complete beer. The cascading is beautiful as the beer settles. It has a full flavor and a really smooth texture. I have tried a lot of other very good porters/stouts, but Guinness is the best.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

I just tried this. Heard so many bad things. I'll just say I really liked it. Very flavorful almost nutty. Intense feel. Nice head. Very good. Would definitely drink again. I loved it. Tried twice. Liked better cold. More flavor. Bitter but still good.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

By far my favorite Irish stout and probably my favorite beer. I just went to Ireland and to Dublin. Is there a better place todrink guinness. Well this is one beer that I love to drink the head. Not many beers can do that to you. The black color is just amazing when the taste comes out. I think that this beer can go with any meal but the best time to drink it is after dinner.The problem with being in the U.S. is that the cans and bottles however still good are just not able to cut the tast of true tap guinness.

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

What can I say? I'm a Guinness Girl, so I felt it fitting that my first review on Beer Advocate should be something that I'm very familiar with...

Appearance> Gorgeous ruby-black colour with a creamy (nitro-widget) head. The head is glossy with high retention and a champagne coloured shimmer that is mesmerizing.

Smell> Smells like home.. or where I wish home was, a large brewery. It is yeasty and biscuity, with a slight sweetness.

Taste>low bitterness, roasted sweetness, and a nice dry hang. Perfectly fits its style because, in my humble opinion, it IS the style.

Mouthfeel> Smooth, like buttah.

Drinkability> Easy to drink... Perhaps too easy. Personally, I have one almost daily... Hey! I'm a vegetarian, so I need my iron; lay off me! :) It's ' Good for You', and my granny has been prescribed it throughout her life, so I have to accept the claim... and the tasty dosage:)

4.88/5  rDev +41.4%

Guinness Draught is one of the best beers in the world. Guinness has a robust flavor profile that consists of hints of chocolate and coffee. If served in a clean Imperial tulip pint and poured properly, you will be hard pressed to find another beer that can match the exceptional taste and beauty of this beer.

4.86/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 440mL nitro can into pint glass. Using the brewery's own method for pouring (via YouTube) the beer quickly formed an off-white head, similar to that of frothed milk on a café au lait. Body appeared dark brown/black with ruby colouring when brought up to a light source. The head then remained very sturdy throughout drinking.

Scent was delightful, with a strong presence of roasted barley creating tones reminiscent of coffee or dark chocolate. Taste proceed with a slightly sweet note on the front of the palate, smokiness at the sides, and that same coffee-like bitterness at the back. The beer then left a fresh, light aftertaste. The mouthfeel was very smooth and soft, with delicate notes of nitrogenation throughout.

Overall an excellent beer. Definitely one for any beer aficionado's beer bucket list.

4.85/5  rDev +40.6%

If you're a beer drinker, you've GOT to taste a Guinness draft. So dark, yet so smooth -- and the "settling" is a process in itself. Very good taste and appropriately Irish. Very good. To be able to drink one in Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow or Edinburgh is to taste it just right. One of the oldest beers in the world.

4.83/5  rDev +40%

Very delicious. One of my favorite beers. Love the creamy head and mustache that I get from drinking it. The best way to enjoy a night out without worrying about too much alcohol at 4.2%. I hate when you go to a bar and they don't know the proper pouring technique for Guinness. Love the taste of my Guinness.

4.83/5  rDev +40%

A: poured from a 14.9 oz nitro can into a nonic pint glass, pours a dark orange yellow brown almost black with a thick creamy light tan head that lingers through the entire glass, bubbles cascade down the sides of the glass

S: heavily roasted burnt malt smells, cocoa, pumpernickel, charcoal

T: dry roasted malt, subtle flavors of dark caramel, coffee, little sweetness, subtle hop bitterness

M: creamy mouth feel from the nitro widget

O: if I had to pick one beer to drink for the rest of my life this would be it, it has a nourishing yet refreshing quality, it's lower in calories than most "light" beers yet is packed with flavor, it's low alcohol content means you can have a couple without getting swimmy, it is the perfect representation of a dry Irish stout

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Draught pour in a branded glass in my local village pub by a bartender rated 1st in the county and 3rd overall in the Guinness Central Florida Pour-Off 2 years running. Appearance is outstanding with a almost black body and creamy head that lasts all the way to the bottom with cascading bubbles until it settles down and she serves it. The aroma of sweet malt, roasted coffee and lastly the bitterness is perfect. The taste is a blend of tart and bitter with a smokey flavor (I like burnt-smokey alcoholic drinks). The feel is a rich cream giving way to a somewhat lighter than expected ending, overall a stout you can keep on drinking.

4.82/5  rDev +39.7%

It's a tasty stout that's not over-powering or too filling. The nitrogen makes it a lot smoother than most other beers that I've had. Can't wait to try it in Ireland

291st Review
On draft at Against the Grain
Served in a Guinness pint glass

I can thank this beer for kicking off my enjoyment of craft beer as our paths first crossed at a small bar in Rome, Italy, during July 2005. Cheers to bspringer for wetting my whistle! It's been a fun ride since.

This review of a “Pint of Plain” comes from notes.

A: Very deep brown; I’ll call it black. Single (creamy khaki) fingernail head.

S: Roasty. Deep. Rich. Complex. Roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, and hint of coffee. Exceptional.

T: Follows smell. Classic. Heavenly. And oh so tasty! For a Dry Irish Stout it does not get any better than this.

M: Full bodied with appropriate (creamy and smooth) carbonation.

O: I don’t mean to be cliché here, but Guinness in Ireland tastes way better than Guinness elsewhere around the world. I’ve enjoyed a pint on four continents and it doesn’t get any better than within a 2 mile radius of St. James’ Gate. The mirco market in Dublin is okay at best, but having this gem on-tap nearly everywhere you turn in Dublin is wonderful. Some might judge and compare this beer to likes of Corona, Miller, Coors, etc. due to the mass production and wide-spread reach, but this beer is truly world class.

Reviewing beers on this site is surely subjective, but when it comes to rating a beer, it should be based on its merits compared to other beers of the same style. Hands down, this is the BEST Irish Dry Stout from draft on the planet! This is the benchmark. No questions asked. I’d highly encourage people to remember that when they are reviewing this beer. I understand the bottle and canned version of this can vary greatly while a non-Irish tap will not taste as good; however, if you ever have the chance to enjoy a pint of this from a pub in Dublin, rest assured, you will not be disappointed. If you find another Irish Dry Stout that is more enjoyable, please send me a bottle or message with the name and I’d love to try it. Until I find one that is better, I’ll keep going back to this beautiful creation every time I need a quick reminder of what started my love and enjoyment for craft beer. Cheers Arthur and here’s to another 253 years of the beautiful black stuff!

4.8/5  rDev +39.1%

i have to admit i have had this beer many times but untill i got into really teasing beer i never enjoyed it how ever i have gained a new respect for this beer,,,the teste the smell is just wonderfull,,,and as i am not a fan of most dark beers even i have to admit my suprise,,,,this is a good dark beer that i belive everyone should try or try again,,,,

4.8/5  rDev +39.1%

There are not many other stouts that can compare to Guinness in my honest opinion. I have had numerous others and they are just not as good.

Everything from the creamy head that lasts even after all the liquid is gone in the glass, to the deep dark color and complex strong smooth flavour with relatively low alcohol content, makes this one of my all time favorite beers ever.

I will say though that this has varying steps of "amazingness". Starting from fully amazing to less amazing here are the steps:

1) This extremely amazing when served on tap anywhere in the British Isles.
2) Very good served on tap in other parts of the world.
3) Quite good when served in the draught can with the widget.
4) Not as good when served in a bottle. When it doesn't have the gas release widget to give it that creamy effect, its just not as good.

4.78/5  rDev +38.6%

This is the one, the one we all use to set our compass when judging other stouts. It's the barometer, the reference point. There was a time it couldn’t be found state side as crazy as that sounds. As a child I remember adults calling it muddy or the meal in the can. The interesting thing about Guinness is you know when you have gotten a really nice one, for it's heaven on earth, you also know when you are on the receiving end of a lower tier one. I guess it's like the pizza saying even when it's bad it's good, ehh well almost. Contrary to what people say don't have to travel to Dublin to get a nice one, just a good bar that cares about its patrons.
For the review I poured the Guinness from a Nitro can into a pint glass. The appearance was ebony, ruby black with a thick foamy tan head. It's smells and tastes of coffee, roasted barley, and hops. It's bitter, dry, watery and very drinkable. The nitro can does a very decent job of imitating a tap.
Overall you can never go wrong with a nice pint of Guinness, find a nice pub or a fresh nitro can/bottle, preferably a solid pub.
I also recommend Beamish and Murphy’s from the Irish Stout holy Trinity, I like all three for varying reasons.

4.78/5  rDev +38.6%

There is nothing quite like classic Guinness, especially served on-tap. From a bottle or can is OK, but there is only one way to drink Guinness - from the tap, nice and cool (3-6 degrees Celsius).

Its dark color - dark and opaque as finest dark chocolate - and rich head with tiny compact bubbles promise an excellent beer. The flavor is strong and a little smoky, with plenty of hoppy bitterness. Smooth as silk and thick but not heavy, it is truly a legend.

I tasted this at the Guinness Believer event in Atlanta, to confirm why I am a Guinness devotee.

4.77/5  rDev +38.3%

Bottled, Guinness Draught is pretty good. Draft, it's probably my favorite stout and "go to" beer when I'm out. It's not meant to be a fine milk stout, people, it's a dry stout. Most excellent beer especially on tap.

Probably one of the best looking beers on the market when it's in its signature 20oz glass. Creamy, although slightly watery, mouthfeel and very dry and drinkable.

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.