Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,093 | Hads: 6,796
4.14/5  rDev +20.3%

This looked exceptionally wonderful. Pitch black with a creamy head that lasted until I was done. Couldn't be better.

I would give the taste a 4.25, but there are not enough discrete points to give it that. Not very astringent,but with a very good taste.

The smell was good but not very strong. I don't have the most incredible sense of smell so I wouldn't worry too much about it. (388 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

god, what a beautiful pour. a sight to behold no matter how many times you see it. i feel bad even doing this review, as i may not give the beer due justice. pours a nice dark chocolate brown into a solid black glass no light penetrates. solid, almost two finger head that lingers til the end of the glass. creamy, off-white, almost light mocha head with thick, frothy lacing.
gallant bubbles frolic alongside the glass throughout the initial release of the beverage. again, a beautiful pour.

smells delicious. hazelnut malts with a hint of cocoa, fresh. like putting your nose inside a just opened bag of the best smelling coffee one can find, but not overbearing.

light, smooth on-bringing comes to a quick, crisp, tasteful finish. tastes is of barley and malts, with an aftertaste of hops : all uniquely their own.

i was hesistant to review Guinness without the widget. i felt it wouldn't be an accurate representation of the beer, this 'experiment', which has left the Guinness bottles without their now familiar 'widgets'. although, after reviewing it, i realize looking back it will be more unique, perhaps a time where "to widget, or not to widget?" was indeed a the question. could these little guys be no more? who knows. all i know is i totally realized how much i had been playing hard to get with my love for this beer. it really is all you could ask for in a brew. a nectar of the gods. (1,405 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

I poured about half the bottle into a glass so I could test it both in and out of the bottle (this is one the nitro-bottles), and I must say that I think this is an improvement over the nitro-can version of Guinness Draught.

Very dark brown if held up to the light, but pretty close to black. The head is a nice creamy off-white. Quite attractive.

The aroma has some roasted malt notes with a tinge of coffee. The flavor is full, with lots of nice roasted malt, some coffee, maybe a tiny bit of chocolate, and a rather nice bitter aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

The negative of this beer is that it is not terribly complex. Compared to other stouts that I enjoy, Guinness Draught seems to be rather one-dimensional. I do prefer Guinness Extra Stout or some of the American stouts to this, but compared to the canned draught version (or what you sometimes get on tap), this is an improvement.

As far as drinking straight from the bottle, to me the flavor is more concentrated on the bitter notes, but the mouthfeel is a bit more watery.

Lastly, for relatively low-carb beers, this isn't half bad (only 9.9 g per 12 oz.). Much better than most other sub-10g beers. (1,197 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

I am reviewing this from the nitro can this time.

The appearance is a jet black solid with brown edging. In the beginning the carbonation rises and rises, not as much as in a bottle though, and it finally settles in the form of a tan pancake on top of the beer.

The smell has faint hints of mocha ringing through and not much else. A little disapointing.

The taste is very much like the bottle. Roasted, creamy, hints of chocolate and toffee, and rounded out with black coffe bitterness. Always let it warm up a bit just to let you know.

The mouthfeel is still light, but not as light, like the bottled version.

The drinkability is better than ever! Chug, chug, chug!, or great as a session beer.

Not bad but I still prefer the nitro-bottled version. (769 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

In each country the beer varies a bit to meet the local tastes but the American version is deep black in color, with a dense tan head of foam that lasts until the bottom of the glass. This stout also features a surprisingly fruity aroma amidst the massive roasted malt nose. Deep, rich, and bitter with tinges of sourness and flavors of dark roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and malt. The version in the draught-can is somewhat thinner in body and less fruity and therefore more drinkable. (495 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

This beer pours a slightly rubied dark dark brown to black color with a finger of tight foam over top. The nose is nice and roasty, right about where I expect things to be. The flavor is nice, but a little thin for me. I want a bit more full flavor. The aftertaste has a nice bitter roasty quality to it. The feel is moderate and creamy. Overall, the aftertaste keeps me coming back to this beer time and time again. Its not as dry as others I have had in the past couple of days. I think Guinness may have been toppled as the best irish stout in my book. I still like and enjoy it, but it seems to be missing something here. (625 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Guinness is one of my staple beers. One of the more famous imports, this is consumed by cubic meters in Irish pubs. It is nice and smooth, with the darker malts providing a nice flavor that is goes down soft as black velvet. The nitro rocket is a neat little touch, but be careful opening the bottles, sometimes they overflow a little. This makes a great session beer, espically with pub food such as shepard's pie or chili.

Respect beer? Brilliant! (453 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +20.6%

Love it or hate it Guinness has established them selves in a notch that they will never be removed from. It might be the fact that the look of the beers just makes you want to scream for happiness who knows? One thing for sure is that Guinness is one of my favorite beers, and is one of the only stouts you can buy at the gas station at 2 in the morning when all the other places have closed down for the night.

A: few beers look better than a 'draft' pint of Guinness. Truly a sight to behold, legendary head retention

S: Roasted grain, perhaps a touch of coffee. Average in aroma.

T: Roasted grain flavor with the smallest bit of sourness that is equalized by the bitterness.

M: Medium bodied, with a creamy mouthfeel.

D: Extremely drinkable, I don’t think I could watch a football game with out one. (819 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: black in color with a one inch creamy head, opaque--Even when poured from a nitro can, beers do not look much better than Guinness

Smell: roasted malt and tobacco

Taste: dry roasted malt, tobacco, and some creamy sweetness

Mouthfeel: dry, light bodied, moderate carbonation, sweet and roasty

Drinkability: A classic and one of the best looking beers I have seen. This to me is still the benchmark of the style and I would love to try it on tap in Ireland some day. That said, I could session this. (513 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

The beer that made me realize there is good beer out there. This will always have a spot with me because it was the first beer that opened my eyes to the world of great beer. Guinness will always be one of my favorite beers.

The appearance is what first sells it- the turn to black is always a cool thing to watch. It has a mild coffee smell and taste to it and the roasted malts are apparent throughout the stout. There is also a thick, creamy head and a surpisingly smooth taste. I thought that this would be a thicker beer than it turned out to be. (554 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

One of my absolute favorites. The first stout I ever tried and I am still in love with the style. There is just something about watching the smooth cascade after the beer is poured. Smooth mouthfeel and all the way down too. A definite session beer. (253 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

This beer is simply amazing! Not only is it readily available at almost every bar in the US, but it is an outstanding brew
A: Pours deep black with an INCREDIBLE head that leaves a massive lace around the glass. The head is tan and when it grows, it reaches about 4 fingers

S: Toasted/burnt malts with a sweet note of cream or chocolate

T: Toasted malts, a sweet note, and a slight hint of bitterness

MF: full in body, very silky and thick, but not bad at all

D: All day everyday...and for $2.50 a piece (happy hour) you can get alot done (542 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

Years ago, this was my first of the dark beers and I resisted at first.

Appearance - I agree with many of the other raters...definitely one of the most gorgeous beers I have ever seen. It comes out perfect every time.

Smell - Not a very strong smell, light coffee and dark chocolate is the first thing I sensed.

Taste - Just like it smells. Regrettably, it does have a little watery taste, but with so many other mouth watering flavors it was easy to overlook.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy. Seemed to be a little thicker after it warmed up a little bit.

Drinkability - It goes down easy. Foamy head stays to the end

After a little open mindedness and beer maturity, it has become one of my regulars.

Rating based on overall comparison between tap, bottle and can..
Appearance from tap has a creamier head and the body was thicker than what comes from the nitro-bottle or nitro-can. Also had this beer on tap while passing through Ireland and Spain. (963 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: Tall nitro-can loaded with the Rocket Widget. Nice touch (some people have called it a pointless gimmick but the appearance of the beer is a beauty so...). Served in my pint glass at 50 degrees. This review is the same as my previous review of the nitro bottle. I think it is just as good in the can as it is in the bottle and maybe more convenient IMO.

Appearance: Pours a great noble brown and sits in my pint glass looking very black. There are slight red hues as the light reflects, but it looks quite black. Awesome creamy off white head that lasted the entire duration of the beer. Substantial and lasting lacing is impressive.

Smell: A bit of dark fruit. It has a unique and surprising mild sweetness about it.

Taste: Some chocolate and some raspberries. On the first sip I am impressed by the Dry characteristic of the beer. It invades on the taste for only a moment though. After that the surprising sweet almost dry fruit flavor but not quite fruit (to dry to be fruit) unless you add a certain toastedness to the description. Evident dark malts. Very mild flavor but very enjoyable. The only bitterness is a very slight hint after the dryness in the aftertaste. Overall, very pleasant taste.

Mouthfeel: A bit thinner than I'd expect from a stout; somewhat lighter in weight and in body. DRY! This beer screams Irish DRY Stout from moment one. It is fantastically crisp with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very VERY drinkable. Nice and tasty, light weight (sits easy in your stomach) low ABV, no extreme characteristics; all make this an easy guzzler. There is a low quality bar down the street from my house. They carry almost nothing worth drinking but it is the only bar close to my house. Guinness Draught is the only thing they have that I am interested in; and that is the best thing about this beer. It's everywhere! For an easily accessible beer made by a 'Big Brewery' this is definitely one of the best 'Big Brewery' beers out there. The only Macro characteristic it has is that partway between the middle of your mouth and the swallow I noticed a small empty watery space that had a little gap in the flavor. Nothing substantial and certainly forgivable but characteristic of big breweries. I highly recommend this as a Bar Beer. When you are at a bar with limited selection it is likely they will carry Guinness Draught and it is a great fallback choice and a regular in my fridge.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (2,487 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: I love the way this beer looks. It's almost a solid black color, but it takes a couple minutes for the head to settle and while it's settling, you get that crazy foam flowing throughout the beer. I think it's beautiful.

Smell: It has a slightly roasted and bitter smell.

Taste: It has a roasted malt flavor with a bit of a bitter kick in the aftertaste. I love it.

Mouthfeel: Kind of thin for the style. Merely average.

Drinkability: Very good. I've gotten this several times, and I'm sure I will get it again. I really like this brew. (555 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

After all the St. Pat's din has settled, and seeing that I've never reviewed what used to be my beer for every week, I thought I'd take a fresh look at this classic (no matter what the modern beer geek may misinterpret) -- following the Irish Dry Stout style.

Poured from the nitro can into my Guinness imperial pint.

A -- Deep black color in the wide diameter of the glass, ruby-garnet highlights in the narrow base. Thick, creamy, tan head.

S -- Mildly bitter, roasted character up front. Vague coffee and chocolate back. Overall, maybe a bit light in the aroma profile.

T -- Mellow bitter, roasted malt character throughout the front, middle, and end of the flavor profile of this beer. Some vaguely tart or sour characters in the middle, but balanced nicely by the roasted barley.

M -- Soft, smooth, creamy mouthfeel, very nice. Medium bodied.

O -- Overall impressions of this beer are terrific. I'd forgotten just why this was the continuous go-to beer for me back in the mid 90s, but the rich flavor and easy drinking characters of the Draught Stout are terrific.

Make no mistake, as so many do, this is not a Stout to be compared with a Foreign or Extra Stout (let alone an Imperial), this is a style of beer all its own, and well worth consideration. (1,265 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

As anyone who sees my moniker can tell, I have a taste for the guiness..Very velvety mouthfeel, with hints of chocolate and roasted nut.Dry aftertaste. Had it in true draught form, and cant drink it in a can or bottle, also if sampling in a ber, make sure that the bar uses the guinness a lot, because if it sits in the lines at a bar that doesnt serve much guinness, it gets very bitter. I always ask the waitress/bartender how much the guinness is served(and i get my fair share of weird looks for it). (504 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

A-The Stout poured a very dark brown color due to the nitrogen at first but slowly ran up to a very dark black

S-Smells of roasted grains, caramel, coffee, and some hints of chocolate

T-Not a very bold flavor at first but once it gets to the mid-mouth you really get a taste of roasted sweetness, as it gets furthur back into the throut the coffee and cream aroma really opens up, finishing sweet

M-Smooth, and creamy due to the nitrogen its not very carbonated so you don't really get that bite that you would get from drinking other more carbonated beers

D-Very drinkable, many people are hesistant at first because of its color but it is usually a very big surprise to first time drinkers with pre-noted negative assumptions

In truth I think Guinness has earned a place in my heart as one of my favorite beers. On tap I don't think I would rather drink much of anything else. Its very complex in the sense of its different levels and craft. Even though it is considered a fairly commercial beer it still has that craft and care feeling everytime you drink one...Slainte to the Irish (1,090 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: Very dark brown with a thick, creamy, light tan head with excellent retention and fabulous rings of lacing. The cascade is a thing of beauty!

Smell: Big roasted malts. Lightly sweet-smelling with aromas of cherries, oak, earth, and chocolate.

Taste: Starts out big but finishes rather thing and weak. A dark malty flavor dominates, accented by chocolate, cherries, and coffee. The finish is lightly bitter and dry, just enough to make you thirst for more.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, silky-dry texture, low carbonation.

Drinkability: I used to think of this as THE beer of beers. But now that I’ve expanded my beer horizons, I’ve been a little disappointed by this beer. I guess I just keep drinking it thinking it’s going to be as big and full as it looks. But as far as stouts go, it’s rather weak. But highly sessionable, and a true classic. Almost in a class of its own. I think if any beer is going to call itself the “King of Beers”, it should be Guinness (not that US macro swill) due to its age and worldwide popularity. One of the best looking beers though. I love how when I'm done with a pint I have to tip the glass back to get the last of that thick, creamy, tenacious head. (1,218 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 4

I love this beer. It looks, smells, and tastes fantastic. With rich coffee and dark chocolate flavors, dark almost black color with a thick off white head. All of this comes together great, I just feel like it should be a little thicker. (237 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +21.2%

You're served this beautiful, cascading, swirling beer, tannish-white foam settling in a glass, and as the beer settles it's jet black with a light white head.

It's not as heavy as you think. Nor as dark. It is the prototypical stout. It's a thing of beauty. (259 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +21.2%

on tap into the eponymous glass (in a pub in london).

pitch brown but showing a touch of ruby against the light. nice creamy tan head.

great aroma: coffee, burnt malts, some apple sweetness and hints of grapefruit.

smooth, light mouthfeel with a velvety carbonation. burnt malts then a slightly hoppy finish with grapefruit rind flavor. a barest hint of balancing sweetness. it really is better in the UK when you have it fresh, on tap. the fruity, light hoppy character is completely lost on the trip over, leaving little complexity in the american version. (567 characters)

I've reviewed Guinness Draught in every form but Nitro-Bottle, so here goes:

Pours a cascading black with a tightly-packed creamy off-white head (Looks good, despite the bottle saying "Drink straight from the bottle"). Lots of gloppy lacing as only Guinness can do. Aroma is nice fresh Guinness Draught. Coffee grounds, burnt toast, lots of roasted malt. Taste is creamy coffee front, roasted malty middle, and slightly sour burnt finish. Mouthfeel was creamy smooth. Lovely brew as always. (493 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

First time in a long time. Trying this brew on draught is one of the most classic and endearing moments in beer. The look of the nitro-carbonation sheading the beer and floating to the top is something special. The head retention is basically a milk shake for stout lovers. Slight aromas of roasted grains, chalkiness, and mild souring. Flavors and moderate and firm, ranging from charcoal, roasted grains, mild lactose, and and underlying sweet maltiness. The feel of this beer is always supurb. Full and creamy, then thinning into a powdery, soft finish. Quite dry and fleeting in the aftertaste. It's the taste that defined the style. How can it be anything but great? (671 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

My second Guinness Draught review. This time the bottled version, with the widget. I've always found bottled Guinness to be a little sweeter than both the nitro can and draft version. Less dry, I guess.

Pours typical Guinness motor-oil black, with a 1/2 inch off-white head that looks like a solid object. Doesn't fade until you start drinking, and even then it sticks around for most of the glass.

Smell is dry and bready, but with, as I said, a sweeter, slightly chocolately aroma that doesn't show up when you have it on draft at a bar. Reminds me a bit more of the bottled Extra Stout (which I'll have to review sometime soon -- only one bottle left).

Taste is dry and bready. Bottled Guinness Draught is a bit more watery than other versions, which lowers the mouthfeel score for me. Still tastes great though, and the combination of taste and low ABV mean I could drink it all day. Well, maybe not ALL day.

This is the only beer so far that I've reviewed twice, simply because there are so many ways to get a Guinness around here. Can't say that for most beers in Canada. (1,091 characters)

Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.