Guinness Draught - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness DraughtGuinness Draught

poor

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-02-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Draught Alström Bros
1.02/5  rDev -70.8%

I love me a Guinness on tap, to the point where I'll pay a pretty steep price for a pint at my local hippie bar that knows how to pour one correctly. (And they even draw a cool little shamrock on the foam).

I love savoring a pint or two with some good friends, some good pub grub, or just nursing a couple because they just taste so damn good.

That being said: Just what in the HELL is this shit? Tried a can at home, foolishly thinking I could maybe, just maybe, recreate some of the joy I get from a real Guinness on tap.

I've nothing to add to the other "F" reviews other than to say this swill is total crap, a waste of money and a blight on the name of Guinness.

GeoJ, Mar 15, 2011
1.05/5  rDev -69.9%

During my college years beer drinkers that could be seen in bars locally could be classified into several types: consumers of crappy domestic beers, flocks of corona drinking females , imported lager consuming douchebags full of themselves and themselves full of shit and atop of all were fake beer-aristocrats, the Guinness devotees claiming »I drink only good beer« (Common myth was that Guinness has such a dense head that a coin put on wouldn't sink).
Guinness is my favorite brewery too, in a negative way. It seems to be suffering from reversed Midas syndrome as everything they touch turns into crap instead of gold as I haven't came accross with decent product of theirs yet. Now I'm tasting their Draught from some morbid curiosity and I'm not disappointed - Guinness never fails to justify my low expectations. Guinness Draught is an excellent example of what happens when Marketing Department gets more founds than Research & Quality Control. To the beer: Can with best before date 13.08.2010. The pouring into tulip reveals rather opaque dark muddy brown fluid topped with ¼ of inch thin firm beige head that lasts. Apart from light acidic sourness and quite imperceptible alcohol nothing else is detected, maybe just a hint of bitter chocolate. Where is the coffee like aroma of burnt barley /barley malt so typical of a stout? Dominant flavor of this slush is acidic sourness derived from cereal roasting accompanied by unpleasant bitterness of charred organic matter. Now, I'd expect at least a decent coffee finish but that's probably to much to ask of a Guinness. All in all the flavor profile is of bone-charcoal decomposing in water. The body is watery - probably a desperate attempt to enhance the drinkability - with zero carbonation. The above written refers to sampling from a tulip, directly from the can everything was even worse.
»Serve extra cold« - of course I will, cuz anesthetizing the tastebuds by freeze is the only way to at least to some degree hide the crappish character of this beer. Ironically, there is even a quality warrant signature of Arth Guinness on the can, the same way as there is a central-bank governor 's name printed on banknotes assuring their authenticity and stability of the monetary system.
Finaly: What is this - a sort of bizarre experiment how much crappishness can be bottled/canned and people will still be drinking it? This brew hits the absolute zero on quality scale. He (Guinness) has gone where no one else has gone before.

crnipeter, Jan 17, 2010
1.06/5  rDev -69.6%

yamcarts, Friday at 12:03 AM
1.15/5  rDev -67%

Had this on tap at a Red Robin’s. Pours a dark brown with a light off-white head. The aroma is a very subtle roasted malts. Flavor is water and a touch of roasted malts. Has a light, very watery mouthfeel. Sadly, I enjoyed my water from the restaurant more than this.

brutusmuktuk, Feb 21, 2014
1.2/5  rDev -65.6%

I'm spending Christmas with my parent's, and my dad loves this stuff and has a lot of it lying around the house, so I figured I'd have a bottle. Definitely not what I remember it being from my college days.

Appearance: Absolutely gorgeous pour into a pint glass. Nice cascading effect, with a good 3/4 inch of a thick, creamy head. Unfortunately everything good ends here.

Smell: Doesn't smell like much. Water with a faint hint of dark malts.

Taste/mouthfeel: Almost exactly like the smell. Very smooth and creamy, but watery. Not much of a taste at all. This is supposed to be a stout? It tastes as if steeped a small amount of roasted barley in water and bottled it. What happened to this beer? Has the quality changed over the years, or just my pallet? Very disappointing, and definitely not what I remember it being.

Drinkablilty: I finished about half the glass, and gave the rest a drain pour. I haven't done this to too many beers, but I just couldn't finish this one. I thought I was going to throw up.

drumline, Dec 29, 2006
1.2/5  rDev -65.6%

A lovely poured beer, beer and dark, thick tan head. Simply what a stout should look like.

The problem is there's nothing after this. It's a watered down beer, with some burt malt and coffee/chocolate flavors that are so subtle I may have just imagined them. The mouth feel is far thicker than the beer is, and I'm not sure what the point of this is. You can drink a LOT of this in a night but why on earth would you? It is hard to drink because it doesn't taste good.

This is a light stout and I'm frankly not sure why it's so popular. Sadly beer drinkers think it's a thick heavy dinner beer.

I keep drying this when I'm out expect to discover there's a magical tap that fixes all this beers problems but at the end of the day a beer needs flavor to be good and this beer simply doesn't have any.

bobhits, Sep 12, 2010

citrusydark, May 04, 2012

MikeyC37, Jun 18, 2013

himynameisping, May 23, 2013

RCLOHR267, Feb 18, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -64.2%

My son loves this beer and he can have it. It has no taste to me what so ever. I don't see what the fuss is about this beer. It looks good only because it resembles chocolate, but it just tastes bad. I know alot of people love this beer, just not all of us.

wordhog61, Mar 06, 2010

Buttstallion, Aug 05, 2014
1.3/5  rDev -62.8%

It's hard for me to believe that I once actually liked this stout. I don't know whether their formula changed, my tastes changed, or some combination.

Pouring from bottle into a standard glass, there seems to be carbonation, and there is even a nice head that lasts a little while. The color is suitably black.

Smell is of black coffee and roasted "stuff," but fairly mild.

Taste - to me, just terrible. Like weak black coffee with other burnt flavors that I can't quite identify. Despite the head, there is almost no carbonation whatsoever. Almost totally flat. This was not an isolated incident. The previous couple of times I've had this over the past 2 or 3 years - same thing. I hadn't tried it again in quite a while, and forgot just how bad it tasted.

There is some creaminess in the mouth - and yet, somehow, it feels watery.

I had this at a restaurant, and I honestly was able to down only about the first 4 ounces before I gave up. My wife sipped it, and wouldn't have any more. My son drank maybe an ounce, made a face, and gave up. We left the restaurant with still at least 6 ounces left in the glass.

Shade1951, Mar 27, 2013
1.3/5  rDev -62.8%

Guinness, why are you wasting my time with this gimmicky crap? Oh yeah, because there are far more idiots who drink beer than there are true beer lovers, and you want to tap into that market. Sellout, I say.

mophie, Feb 10, 2002
1.35/5  rDev -61.3%

First, I am not an expert on beer, but I do love beer and drink and enjoy them a lot.

A: It looks dark, just like coffee with some redish. I like the color, since it remind me of red wines.

S: It smells like carbonated-chocolate, not good smell.

T: It tastes bitter and watery. It is horrible. I rather drink water than it.

M: I really don't know how to say it, but it tastes like bitter medicine which my mom used to force me to drink when I was a kid. It is horrible.

O: The worst beer I have ever encountered. I have signed up here because I want to write a review of this horrible beer.

There is only little tiny beer taste to this stout. It doesn't taste something more than bitter, and is similar to Chinese medicine with straight ingredients. I tried to like it, but since I have already tried 4 cans and I can't even finish 25% of them. I have no choice but to hate it.

The last bad beer I tried is Budweiser, King of Beer; although bad, I can still manage to finish the whole can. This guinness is definitely not something I want to even touch in the future.

dmcbeerington, Aug 25, 2011
1.35/5  rDev -61.3%

Well, a fancy nitro-can of Guinness. Never got around to buying this stuff mainly because it's so dammed expensive, and there's always something else I'm in the mood for. I got this can for free.

Appearance - Wow. This beer looks cool. Nice cascading, rippling effect of the beer settling. Looks good for a stout.

Smell - faint toasty aroma. Not much else.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Faint toasted malt - VERY faint. No hop character to speak of. This tastes incredibly watered down, and I'm very surprised. All I ever heard is how "rich and creamy" Guinness is. This is pathetic. I don't wan't to finish this. I'm pouring the rest out in my sink.

Stout water?

moocey, Nov 10, 2004
1.38/5  rDev -60.5%

Taste just the same as the draught and can:
Utterly revolting, thin, lightly roasty body meets with rancid bitterness, body is smooth and watery, not really a good example of a stout, although i'm sure once upon a time it was. It has a nice appearance though (deep black colour, with a nice creamy head). But besides that, this is easily the most overated beer on this site and on earth for that matter. Cat piss and vomit in one, the Budweiser of Stouts, gives stouts a bad name.

rastaman, Mar 17, 2003
1.4/5  rDev -59.9%

3.0 A: Pours a dark brown. Looking at this beer makes you think that perhaps it will be good.

2.0 S: Somewhat malty, not much of anything really.

1.0 T: Tastes of bitter water.

2.0 M: Creaminess is nice, but that fact that even the cream is tastless makes its creaminess an even greater liability.

1.0 D: Drinkable in the same sense that Keystone is drinkable.

This is not the worst beer ever, but it certainly is the most overrated. If you disagree with me then you are insane. I am not trying to troll, but the fact that I am relatively new to the world of fine beers and this one was easy to point out as terrible and tasteless, I should be allowed to make such a caustic statement.

DavoleBomb, May 12, 2008
1.48/5  rDev -57.6%

After drinking most of it from the bottle, I poured rest into a glass. Dark ruby black color. Good head retention, some lacing. But who cares, this stuff is to be consumed from the bottle not a glass so I had to give a 1 for appearance. Aroma was skunky in the bottle and in a glass. Flavor, what flavor, watery. Was best when ice cold (crappy when not ice cold.) Weak, thin and flat. Label should say "Watery Guinness Light". Screw the widget rocket. Maybe I had a six that was stored upside down and the nitro escaped into the bottle so when I opened it up, the nitro got out causing a flat and tasteless beer. Who cares, at the going price, there are too many other good beers to be drunk.

Guinness on tap rules.

ThreePistols, Nov 16, 2001

Jstewart6, Dec 31, 2013

Kallenovsky, Jul 12, 2014

magnumpoppy, Aug 28, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -57%

Looked great with an awesome creamy head. Beat lacing imaginable. However that's where the goodness ends. Like most mainstream import beers I feel Guinness has toned.down it's flavor to appealto Amercan beer drinkers. The smell was absent and the taste was barely there. Watery with only a hint of roasted cocoa. I will never drink this beer in the US again.

bigolbeerbelly, Aug 20, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -57%

Pours out a cloudy pale that falls like a waterfall into black with a thick head that stays throughout the whole beer. The smell is roasty and light with some sweet molasses tones in it. Taste is watery and it's hard to detect, but once you get a taste it's not great. The roasty flavors have turned into a chemical flavor that makes me cringe. The mouthfeel is watery and unimpressive. I don't think I'll ever have this ever again.

Erdinger2003, Dec 28, 2006

russwilliam, Jul 31, 2013
Guinness Draught from Guinness Ltd.