Harp Lager - Guinness Ltd.

Harp LagerHarp Lager

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harp Lager Alström Bros

Photo of
2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

3.85/5  rDev +19.2%

12 fl oz, poured into a tall pilsner glass.

I have a fridge full of new beers that I haven't tried before, so this is a bit of a golden age for me. I'm ready to get started, so here we go...

A: You expect a lager, for the most part, to be golden in color, with a wheat-colored head, and some nice carbonation. Check, check and check. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's looking good so far.

S: You expect a lager, for the most part, to smell of slight hops, grass, wheat, and citrus, usually lemon or grapefruit. Checks all around. I'm guardedly optimistic. Going in for the taste.

T: It's a good-tasting lager beer; I'm pleasantly surprised that it tasted like it smelled. The proportions were in a nice balance as well. I wish I'd bought two of these at the beer store.

M: Good, could be very good if I graded on a curve. I like the level of carbonation, it's light-bodied, and it washes nicely over the palate, leaving a fairly dry finish. You don't mind the burp, either.

O: If this beer were an employee, I'd give it a Meets Expectations as a review grade. It's not a superstar, but it's a solid performer that gives you what you expect; good taste and drinkability, and you want it to show up the next day. I wish I'd had a slice of pizza with this; that would have gone perfectly. Off to make a Steak-Umm sandwich for my next beer. Until next time.

3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Tir na Nog outside Penn station in NYC. Golden hue with slight amber capped by a foamy head. Nose of grass and straw. Taste is slight hay balanced by light cracker sweetness. Mouth is light but drying. This is a good way to await a train ride back upstate.

2.7/5  rDev -16.4%

Poured unto a pint.

Appearance: Clear gold, not too bubbly...head is about 1/2" off the body.

Smell: Dry hops, comes off weak like most pale agers but doesn't come off bad.

Taste: Dry hops, slight corn...comes and goes not something worth bragging over.

Mouth: Light to medium carbonation, I was expecting this being a lager would be more carbonated. If it was it would probably help the taste out better.

Overall: I have drank this many times and it is probably better during warm weather and served cold. Not a bad beer but definitely not among the great ones, this goes for other "lagers" alike. Hope you enjoy, salud!

3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- A clear golden color with a large white head that looks a little soap as it fades.

S- Very grainy, hint of floral hops, toasted malts.

T- Follows the nose, a little less grainy, and a little more malts. A little watery, but not too watery.

M- Smooth, light, crisp.

O- This is a very average beer. This is the first time I have had this and I was thinking that it was going to be hard to drink and watered down like the American and Euro Lagers I have had in the past, but this actually has some umf to the flavor. I would not seek it out but I would drink it if it was offered.

Harp Lager from Guinness Ltd.