Harp Lager - Guinness Ltd.

Harp LagerHarp Lager

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-03-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harp Lager Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -3.1%

A fairly standard offering at British and Irish type pubs in Ontario. Decent aroma, mostly malty and grainy, very light hop character. The flavour's not bad, more malty and sweet than bitter, with a bit of hop flavour. Finishes off-dry. Crisp character from carbonation with a medium/light body.

DrJay, Jul 10, 2005
3.95/5  rDev +22.3%

I remember first ordering this in my early 20s because I liked the name. I loved it and drank it often. Since then I've discovered other beers and almost forgot about harp. Now that I frequent BA, my tastes have changed. I've found some beers I liked in the past are now flavorless and average at best. Boy, was I glad that Harp does not suffer the same fait. On with the review.

Appearence: Straw golden with nice head that mostly fizzles away quick, but leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Not very strong smell, but some malts are present.

Taste: Initial skunky taste (which I like), followed by.Biscuty, sweet malts and that finishes with some light hops and bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Nice

Drinkability: I can drink this all day and night, and I have in the past.

NiceGuyMike, Jun 18, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +33.1%

This beer is totally being judged on what it is--trying hard not to be subjective. Lagers have been given a bad name because of the large mass-produced ones, but this is a shining beacon to them all. Pours a golden yellow color with little to no head. Smell is uninspired and is like most other lagers that you will find. The taste is great... instead of being water heavy like other Lagers it has a full body taste. Wheat is really the only decipherable taste that you can point out, otherwise it is too well rounded to pick out. Great overall.

Toddv29424, Jun 18, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -9.3%

Had this from a bottle. Pale yellow with a thin head that vanishes immediately and no lacing. Smell is light malt and hops. Taste is a little malty with a hop bite on the end but also with an unpleasant metallic aftertaste. Thin bodied, watery, and fizzy, this really isn't that pleasant to drink. I've heard it's better on tap, I know I'll be avoiding it bottled.

cubedbee, Jun 11, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet.

Dark gold color, vigorous pour yields a thick head of white foam that dissipates quick. Aroma is mellow, laced with hops and grassy undertones. Clean and light. Taste is your basic nondescript lager...light, bland, with a sharp aftertaste that's slightly skunky (is this inevitable in bottled lagers?) but bearable.

Not bad as lagers go, but pretty much reduced to a macrobrew quality anymore.

Hunter, Jun 09, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +9.3%

I enjoyed my fair share of imperial pints of Harp on-tap at the UK in the World of Nations at EPCOT during my week stay at Walt Disney World. The days were in the high 80's-low 90's and the beers were perfectly chilled and poured.

The color was amber and clear. The beer was purposely poured with as little head as possible to fill the glass with beer and not head. There was a small amount of lace. The aroma was toasted malt on a light background of hops. The taste was a little sweet, great malt and a bit light on the hops. Creamy mouth feel with a sweet malt aftertaste with a hint of hops.

Smooth and easy to drink. Nothing really outstanding but still a good and very drinkable beer.

ThreePistols, Jun 04, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance: Slightly darker than your typical lager, but clear, with no head or lacing

Smell: Slightly phenolic, with not much else going on

Taste: Really rather unpleasant, to be honest; has some bite to it, but not a flavor I really appreciate; again, somewhat phenolic

Mouthfeel: Probably it's best attribute; light/medium bodied with decent carbonation

Drinkability: Next time, I think I'll give it a miss

brentk56, May 20, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -4%

Since I drank this one straight from the bottle, I can't comment on it's head, lacing, etc. Other B.A.'s have mentioned bitterness which I wouldn't say I noticed in this brew. What I did notice was that this beer goes down smooth and easy with none of the harshness that I've experienced with other Euro lager's/ales.Maybe that's because this is just a simpler, mass market brew? My opinion is that this is fuller bodied and more flavorful than an American Macro, which is a good thing in my book. Cheers!

BrewMaven, May 07, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -6.2%

I used to drink plenty of Harp, back when it was hard to find a decent beer on draught. Today was the first time in two years since I've had any.

Appearance: Pale yellow, almost no head, adequate lacing.

Smell: A little skunky, but not much detected.

Taste: The more ales I drink, the less interested I am in lagers, especially European style. I do like the bitter after taste I get from this beer. Little else to mention.

Mouthfeel: Adequate.

Drinkability: Better than most macro lagers.

RedLion, May 03, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -19.5%

Strange that I have not reviewed this in my year, but after tasting it again, it may have been a while. Skunky bitter taste and nothing else to impress me. Passed on seconds at a dinner tonight. Appeared nice for a Euro Pale Lager, which is becoming one of my least favorite styles.

Backer2004, May 02, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -9.3%

Tried a few sips off of a friend of mine. After the waitress brought the beer, there was little to no head left on top of the clear, light golden body. Smell was very light, mainly of hops. Taste was light malt, with some bitterness and some slight fruit characteristics on tip of the top. Once you swallow the hops stick on your tongue, and you are left with a spicy hop flavor and a little citrus. All in all not bad, but nothing something I'd drink a lot of.

HoboAGoGo, Apr 24, 2005
3.2/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz. bottle. Has a clear straw color with a fizzy white head that fades quickly. Skunky sweetgrass wild yeast smell. Medium light body with a smooth mouthfeel. Taste is of the woody, earthy, musty, horse blanket variety.
Nicely bitter to finish. Not too bad.

beerceller99, Apr 23, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -13.9%

This beer seemed average to me. Head faded away rather quickly, tasted bitter and metallic, maybe a little fruity, and went down without leaving much of an impact. I'd like more substance from this beer, although its definitely not offensively carbonated or overly bitter.

vwahaszee, Apr 15, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured a amber-gold color ,a little darker than the average larger.
The head was nice and full with a very light brown color.The initial smell was dull with just a bit of hop's but no skunk. The taste was rather plain & boring but maybe I was expecting more since my friend had hyped the beer to me.
I would just as soon drink a fresh Becks or Heineken as this so I dont think I will be drinking more in the near future.
Paid $3.50 for a pint

Roderick, Apr 12, 2005
2.42/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a pale yellow color. ok head that disipates quickly. Very highly carbonated. Lots of bubbles that last a long time. Smell is slightly skunky. Skunkyness goes away as you drink more but there isn't much taste at all. Just an average beer that dosen't live up to its reputation.

beermanbrian, Apr 06, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +9.3%

Presentation: 330ml bottle, 5.0% ABV

Appearance: Golden amber color. Two fingers head, but it doesn't last so long. High carbonation (Lots of bubbles and it lasts a long time.)

Smell: A nice "beer" smell. A little grainy.

Taste: Malty with hops flavors and some grain. The first sip is good, but you seem to lose its taste the more you drink your glass.

Mouthfeel: Watery and creamy

Drinkability: Harp lager doesn't look much as an euro pale lager. According to me, it is closer to Molson Canadian rather than Heikenen. A honest lager.

Barraclou, Mar 30, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

The pint came out with a nice lite and clear golden, white head that laced nicely throughout.. Not much in the way of aroma, but a nice balanced pull with a lite hop finish. Medium body and properly carbonated – not to much. Not a standout, but a good session beer, winter or summer. A little Guinness on top would be perfect. Hey, a new idea? yeah, right.

Vancer, Mar 29, 2005
3.05/5  rDev -5.6%

A rather mediocre lager, but a decent carbonation that grows on you. So I wouldn't spill it out. Very creamy initial pour and creaminess stays in mouth. Balanced between some malts and acid, and hops, so not too sweet. Medium mouthfeel. New bottle and fresh brew for St. Patty Day.

Sammy, Mar 18, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Enjoyed on tap at Brew City, Worcester, MA.

Weizen-style ~22oz glass presentation. Nice white 3/4 head over the clear dark golden/light amber brew, and laced well. Aroma is lightly of sweet pale malt with a tinge of nondescript hops. Taste follows the nose, with a crisp, lightly hoppy finish. Mouthfeel and drinkability are both good. A reasonable fall-back at the more macro-style establishments.

ppoitras, Mar 04, 2005

Clear gold color...grainy aroma...sweet graininess on the tastes...finishes with almost a noble hop hit like a true pilsner...mouthfeel is round..buttery actually...pretty full for the style....good weight to this but quenching at the same time..good lager...

ZAP, Feb 24, 2005
3.18/5  rDev -1.5%

Presentation: Pint glass

Appearance: No head. Did they pour it wrong? Dirty glass? Anyway, despite this, the beer is a beautiful gold-amber, with a constant bubbling flow of carbonation.

Smell: Right after the mild malts and potent hops, the alcohol comes through very noticably.

Taste: Big carbonation. Definitely potent for a lager, malts quickly overshadowed by the sharp, fruity hops. Nearly as strong as an IPA, I think. Bitterness sticks with you for a while.

Mouthfeel: Not much to write home about, just a little tingly from the carbonation.

Drinkability: Not much of a fan of something this hoppy.

Notes: I got this in an Irish Pub (The Phyrst) as a change of pace from a Guinness. I'll go right back to the Guinness.

mjc410, Feb 11, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottle: Poured a brown color beer with a nice medium head with above standard retention for a lager. Aroma comprised some malt and hops with some floral aspect. Taste is kind of sweet with some nice malt in the background. Bitterness is kind of sweet but a bit too shy for my liking. Overall, this is a decent drink and a lot better then your average macro lager out there.

Phyl21ca, Jan 24, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +20.7%

one of the few euro lagers ive kind of avoided for some odd reason. why? because im stupid because this was a tastey beer. poured a pretty golden, average head. smelled lightly sweet and grainy. crisp in the mouth, not full and not watered down, just right for what i expect out of a solid lager, sweet with a nice malt hit balanced out with the slightest hoppy twang and a touch of grain. tastey and oh so drinkable. widely available and suited this 70 degree winters day just fine.

DESTRO, Jan 19, 2005

Great stuff...
Dark yellow/golden, crystal clear, full sturdy head with staying power, a great start, nice blast of malt for the nose, taste was malty, sweet even fruity!, well balanced by a hop bite, crisp and clean, full mouthfeel for type, this may be one of my new favorite lagers!

surfmeister, Jan 18, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle with a prominent harp logo. Plenty of text lauding the liquid within, but no freshness date. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale golden color with adequate head. Certainly looks a lot like your average macro, though perhaps a few shades darker.

Smell: Slightly grainy aroma with a whisp of faint grassy hops. Clean.

Taste: Nicely balanced malty character with herbal and lemon hop notes in the background. Pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but perfectly suited to the style. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: About as drinkable as your average macro, which is to say very drinkable by design.

Notes: I went into this one expecting overpriced, overhyped swill like, say, Heineken, but was pleasantly surprised to find a pretty well crafted example of the style.

sprackops, Jan 18, 2005
Harp Lager from Guinness Ltd.