Harp Lager - Guinness Ltd.

Harp LagerHarp Lager

good

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Harp Lager Alström Bros
3.56/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a nondescript pint glass ("nondescript" becomes a theme in this tasting).

This beer, frankly, looks lager-y. Golden in color, with a thin head and a lot of effervesence. Tilting your glass produces a wall of lacing. The aroma presents nothing distinct. It's clean and fresh, with a little bit of alcohol and maybe some esters, but nothing really jumps out. Taste is pleasant...crisp, malty-sweet, with maybe a little bit of that ester poking through. The overall effect is something like a sourdough pretzel or maybe a bowl of Cheerios. Dry finish. The mouthfeel is crisp and light, but the stuff feels heavy in your stomach. Probably very sessionable if you have the means, but not cheap.

4.11/5  rDev +27.2%

I am totally surprised and ashamed that about 900 beers later, I haven't reviewed this one. This is just a classic, so I assumed that I had already review it. At any rate, this one pours out to a sparkingly clear straw gold, forming a voluminous bone white rocky head with superior retention and some of the best lacing around. This is one of the prettiest beers ever. Moderately brisk carbonation forms streamers that make the beer glisten. The aroma is classic Europils...freshly mown hay, pale malt with a skunk-like character and fresh Saaz hops. The mouthfeel is very crisp and biting with a medium-light body and a wisp of dryness in the end. The floral bitterness balances expertly with the malts and hop flavor, leaving the tastebuds with a lingering touch of hay and astringency. Very cleanly fermented. Alcohol is imperceptable. Unfortunately, this is one of those Europils that tastes better ice-cold, because as it warms, the grassiness becomes a bit much and the alcohol becomes perceptable.

What can I say? This is a classic, although Steinlager is my favorite in this category.

3.34/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a clean and clear golden with a nice white head but quickly faded to a very thin layer of white.
The smell was very malty with a slight skunk scent to it. Slightly spicy as well. But it seemed hidden behind the grainy malty scents.
The taste is pretty balanced very crisp and biscuit like. The after taste is very smooth and enjoyable.
Its a bit light on the mouthfeel but that makes it that much eaiser to drink.

2.73/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured a light yellow with a thin white head.
The smell was not much of anything. Some slight hints of skunky hops in the background.
The taste was light and watery. Some hints of hops, but no flavors stand out. It tastes similar to a macro light beer.
The mouthfeel was fairly smooth and creamy, despite the lack of taste. Some leftover hops and a touch of sweetness lingered.
I can drink it - but why bother - not worth the price of imported beers.
Overall, while not terribly offensive, it was a below-average Euro lager - overly simple, boring and pretty tasteless.

3.08/5  rDev -4.6%

Not bad at all, but not the treat I remembered it to be. It had been a few years since I tried this last, and it was on sale at the local beer store, so I couldnt pass it up. A nearby bar used to have this on tap and I thought it was just magnificent. Now that my tastebuds have matured just a tad I realize its only a little better than most drunk's everyday beers.

It pours golden in color. Makes a nice attempt at becoming hazy, but doesnt quite succeed. Smell is indifferent. It tastes better than Mr. Bud McMiller's beer, but that shouldnt be considered too difficult. Anyways, not a bad beer if you can catch a sale or a good deal. I probably wouldnt pay good money for this one if there was better available, but I sure wouldnt turn one down.

2.7/5  rDev -16.4%

Harp Lager pours a macro looking yellow with a fluffy white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Has a nasty, skunk-like aroma. Taste is better than I expected given the appearance and aroma. Decent balance of hops and malt, if a bit skunky. The skunk being fairly typical for the Euro pale lager profile. Not offensive, perhaps a step up from the big three.

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Not as bad as I once thought it was. Good straw-gold colour with snow white head. A bit malty on the smell, and this is accompanied by the typical skunky cereal smell of lagers.

Tastes of malt, hints of adjunct, cereal flavours, a bit of hops. Somewhat harsh and acidic on the tongue. Seems over carbonated. Drinkable nonetheless. Better with food. Not the best lager I've had, but not the worst.

3.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Poured a sparkling medium straw hue with a two finger foamy head. There was decent retention and good lacing.

The smell was well balanced. A good amount of sweetness and a good amount of spiciness. A grainy aroma as well.

The flavor was balanced as well. A good body and a strong crispness. There was a nice biscuity aftertaste as well.

The mouthfeel was average. Very carbonated and very crisp.

Overall a very drinkable lager. I previously reviewed the canned version that I bought in Ireland. The bottled version that is available in the U.S. is an entirely different beer.

3.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Yellow gold in color, leaves little head that disappears fairly quickly.

S - Not a whole lot here, a slight old sock scent, but not awful, just like it was once an old sock, but some of it didn't come out in the wash.

T - I like it for this type of lager. It has a bit of a kick and a nice smooth aftertaste.

M - Mild carbonation.

D - Again, I like it, a nice change to the beer drawer.

3.3/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Fairly fizzy yellow, though the pour was good, so there's a bit of lacing at the top. Not a lot of bubbles.

Smell: A normal smelling brew? I get some hops, some faint sweetness from the malt, and that's about it. Not bad in any way, but there's really not too much there.

Taste: A fairly decent balance between the hops and malt, but at the same time I ask if there's anything beyond that. And really there isn't, but by the end, the finish lingers, and the balance comes again. Not beyond a 3.5, but a solid 3.5 I would say.

Mouthfeel: Not much carbonation and a bit watery by the end of the swallow.

Drinkability: Overall this isn't a bad brew, though of course by many it's overrated. Still, I'd drink it again, as it goes down smoothly enough and is better than many macros out there.

2.66/5  rDev -17.6%

I don't like it when beer makes my tastebuds jump off my tongue in order to get away from the taste. Harp has such a sharp, biting sting that just doesn't set well with me. I stuck my nose in it and I thought all would be well, but I'm just not into it. Then again, I am a bit of a wimp. I know plenty of people that rave about Harp. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people.

4.13/5  rDev +27.9%

330ml bottle poured in a pilsner glass. Date on back label states 05-09-17. I believe these bottles actually come from Ireland as it states "brewed in Dundalk, Ireland" whereas some "imports" actually say they're brewed somewhere in N.A.

Clear, and a nice pure gold colour. Bright white head is 1/2 inch on the pour, but reduces to a 1/8 inch cap. Lots of carbonation streams. Sporadic globs of lacing.

Aroma has a solid malt backbone with a light sweetness and hints of herbal (maybe noble) hops.

Lightly sweet at the start with a good malt backbone. After the mild carbonation rush there are hints of herbal hops in the middle and this nice malt/hop balance flows smoothly into a mildly acidic light dry finish. Aftertaste is dry with a wisp of rememberance of malt sweetness.

Medium bodied with light carbonation. Smooth but crisp.

As far as a lager goes, this is one of the best I've had in some while. It didn't knock my socks off, but I'm pretty impressed as it's head and shoulders above any other lager I've had in the past couple of years. Well balanced, smooth, crisp, good malt spine yet with a bit of a hop presence and bite. I'll be buying more of this soon.

3.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance – Pours very yellow with a large amount of head due to an aggressive pour. The head disappears fast and leaves a small cap.

Smell – Smells of citrus, crisp grains, and a touch of skunk. There is s tiny bit of hoppy aroma as well. Not bad for a lager.

Taste – A touch sweet off the bat. Perhaps a bit of honey flavor with hints of graininess. Overall not very complex or amazing.

Mouthfeel – Very thin with medium carbonation. Quite average.

Drinkability – Easy to go down. This beer has little kick which makes if effortless to drink.

Not a bad lager. This is first Euro Pale and I see potential in the style.

2.36/5  rDev -26.9%

Got one from a friend, it was leftover from before Saint Patrick's Day. I hadn't drank a Harp in quite a while before today, and after tasting and letting this beer sink it, it's pretty obvious why. It may not come from the mainland continent or in a green bottle, but looks and smells like a Euro Pale Lager...

Decent pour - the head was by far the best aspect of it. It filled the remainder of my pint glass up and made up for the lack of lacing and lightness of the hue. Lots of wheat and malted barley in the taste, with a bit of soapiness thrown in for good measure (if that's possible). The aftertaste has the bitterness and carbonation kick in, nearly to the point of overkill. Quite a cleansing aspect to this beer, but it's not very solid and the range and depth of flavors is not to be found here. It lacks the "skunkiness" of it's continental counterparts in the lighter-colored bottles, but this beer shares the aspects that those brews have in common. Not enough backbone up front and the bitterness in the back is neither memorable nor distinctive.

I wish this beer had more depth to it. Between the color, mouthfeel, range of flavors, and aftertaste, it came across as being thin and watered-down. Not a bad session beer, but most common offerings in the Euro Pale Lager style can make that claim as well. This beer's only distinction is it's country of origin. Barely worth a try...

3.77/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured a clear copper, well carbonated, left some broken lace along the sides of the glass.
smelled of hops, slight grainy aroma.
taste was a pleasant hop bite up front, that mellowed to a slightly sweet malt finish, a bit of grainy flavor as well, finished smooth and wet.
mouthfeel was slightly watery, but had enough chewiness, as to satisfy the palate.
drinkability, I would rate as fairly high, not a bad beer at all, and I could certainly see myself havin a session with these. worth a try....reminded me a bit of a euro-lager, but none of that "skunky" aftertaste.

3.3/5  rDev +2.2%

What a ho-hum beer at a not-so-ho-hum price. 34 bucks for a case of this? The only reason I bought it was to satisfy some guests at a St. Patty's Day party.

Appearance: A bright gold that poured with an above averaged sized head. Most noteable aspect of the beers appearance was the soda-like carbonation I got when I poured it.

Smell: Grains...this must be a grain-heavy beer

Taste: One taste of this and the suspicion that my nose hinted at was confirmed by my taste buds. This beer is grain-heavy! Not the crisp grain of say Budweiser...but instead a raw and almost pungent grain. At first I didn't like this....but now it is growing on me.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and quite carbonated

Drinkability: Could be a nice session beer, but the bitter grains could become a drawback

3.29/5  rDev +1.9%

What a nice golden color this beer has! It is clear just like the lakes I once visited in Minnesota during a fishing trip, the pike was excellent. It presents a one and a half finger head, more meringue in appearance as oppsed to a thick creme. The head has some retention, although it has become dramatically thinner. In regards to lacing, this beer has nice lacing. Carbonation makes this beer look alive, it looks as if the carbonation level is above average.

Overall the smell of this beer is poor. It isn't qutie strong enough to pick out the different aromas that are present in the brew. I'll take a stab a what I smell, though the aroma is weak and not quite stable enough to get a good drag. I'll say that first and foremost is a malt character reminiscent of a Belgian Pale Ale, kinda like butterscotch. I want to say that there is also a herbal or floral hop aroma but I'm not sure that I picked it up. I thought I did at first but now I can't find it again.

Sweet to the palate this is a good pale lager. I'll say that I honestly like it. The sweet flavor of this brew is reminescant of a Belgian Pale Ale, it's the candy/butterscotch flavor that reminds me of this other style. There isn't much of a pronounced hop flavor or even bitterness. The bitterness, infact, is quite low.

Really nice mouthfeel, much better than I expected. To be honest the body on this beer is possibly the most full body I've ever come across when it comes to pale lagers. Creamy is the word that best describes how it feels on my palate. It is easy to drink, and goes down smooth. This is something that I can see myself buying again, but not while there are selections on the shelves that I haven't yet tried. A good beer, definitely one that I'm sure to come back to in the future, but just not anytime soon. It's not something that is so good that you crave it every so often such as Arrogant Bastard, and Chimay Grand Reserve.

1.5/5  rDev -53.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a shiney golden to yellow, tons of active carbonation, Big frothy head fizzes out quickly never to be seen again.

Malts are on the sweet side, Hoppy zip is noticeable but barely a factor, Grain, adjunct tasting.

It is what it is....boring, somewhat thirst quenching although I can think of alternatives. Crispness is snappy but overall its the grainy wheaty earthy that wins over.

Not a fan, I honestly would rather have a cup of water.

3.06/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

So strange to drink a Euro Pale Lager from Ireland...

Pours somewhere between gold and honey with a big frothy white head that sticks around. Looks good, anyway.

Crisp, clean lagery aroma... almost nothing going on here.

Tastes a little hoppier than most euro pale lagers. Bitterness, malt, then bitterness again on the pallet. Finishes with a sharper bitter hops aftertaste than most.

Mouthfeel is dominated by carbonation - a good thing, because with less carbonation it'd be watery.

Overall, better than average in an unremarkable style. Go down good as a St. Paddy's Day leftover, but certainly not to be sought out.

3.15/5  rDev -2.5%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck. No date information.

Appearance: Bright yellow with just a hint of orange, thin head and lots of bubbles.

Smell: Grain and just a hint of noble hops - very little aroma.

Taste: Fairly clean flavor - mostly just malt with a hint of sweetness.

Overall impression: This one was left over from a St. Pat's party. It isn't bad, but also not something I will be seeking out.

3.26/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer poured a crystal clear light pale muted golden yellow body with a big frothy white head.

Nose was very very mellow. Very subtle malt and a crispness but beyond that I couldn't smell much of anything.

Taste was light to medium bodied. A nice chewy full grain malt taste. A decent body to this beer actually. Sort of like a 6 row malted barely or even natural wheat sort of flavor. Just enough hop bitterness to give it a little kick and there are actually some hints of hop flavor mixed in with the malt, but overall very mild.

As lager's go, this is actually a really nice one. Not much in the way of hops, but again... it's a lager. Other than that, not your typical lawnmower beer. A huge body as far as lager's go. I like it actually.

3.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

20 oz imperial pint glass at McNallys Pub in Elmhurst. Sampled as part of the Guinness 1759 society event.

Lovely bright gold with a decent had and wisps of lacing.

Much better nose than the bottled version. You can actually pick-up some fresh graininess and hops.

The taste is crisp and slightly sweet. The hops add a nice bit of balance and some spice notes. Not a world beater but it beats the pants off the big three. Easy to pair with non spicy food. Easy drinker with excellent carbonation. I like this much beter on tap, but still not enough to be a regular.

3.41/5  rDev +5.6%

This lager is a pale golden colour, very clear with lots of carbonation racing up through it. The head is nearly three centimetres thick, and has a fair bit of staying power. As far as lagers go, it looks pretty good.

The smell I get off the bat is soapy with a bit of hay and perhaps a faint whif of salt. I swear I've smelled a shampoo with exactly the same aroma. A little bit odd, though not offensive.

The beer enters the mouth with a fairly sweet start, most like honey diluted in water, and spreads out with a fresh cut grass flavour filling out the mouth. The finish is relatively crisp, and aftertaste is faintly bitter, but not big in any way.

The mouthfeel is lager light with a lot of carbonation. Not one for sipping or savouring, it is more prone to being gulped.

The Euro Pale Lagers haven't really excited me much, but this isn't a bad beer. Today I bought it for the free glass deal, but I got a decent lager out of it.

4.08/5  rDev +26.3%

A classic. Pours out to a nice medium golden color with a big white head of foam. Great head retention. Lots of lacing. Medium level of carbonation. Aromas of dry hops and some citrus notes over malt fills the nose. Taste is medium bodied; flavors of grass, malts, bitter hops, some cereal grain. Good taste for the style. Mouthfeel is good; solid carbonation keeps things moving and adds to the higher level of drinkability. Slighty slick as well, but not oily. Good drinkability. I should have this more often, I can't believe i've never reviewed it. Recommended.

3.88/5  rDev +20.1%

This marks #100, Decided to make it a timeless classic.

This poured a standard lager yellow with a puffy fizzy head, pretty average but extra marks given for pretty good head retention.

Smell is a little hoppy, but not much else is evident.

Taste is good, barley malt and a very slight bitterness with a slight aftertaste of barley malt. This is what lager should taste like.

It feels good going down, but the carbonation could be toned down a bit.

Easy to drink, overall a really good example of a clean lager.

Mix with equal parts of Cider for an interesting concoction.

Harp Lager from Guinness Ltd.