Harp Lager | Guinness Ltd.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review

Harp LagerHarp Lager

Guinness Ltd.
Ireland | website

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-03-2001

Reviews: 725 | Ratings: 2,492
2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

It was blazing hot in the San Fernando valley this 4th of July weekend, and the light lagers, Hefe's, Witbiers, were flowing. This was one such beer.

A: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip. The beer pours a darker shade of yellow, with a generous three inches of fizzy white head that quickly settles.

S: Very minimal scents of grass/hops. Some very light malt in the background.

T: Some flavors of bread, grain, hay, and dried out hops. Mild bitterness, and a dry finish.

M: Light body, semi-crisp, medium carbonation.

O: Have not had this beer in a few years, and I haven't been missing much. Pretty standard mass produced lager. Decent ice cold on a hot day, but drink it quickly, since there is not much to savor. When I visited Ireland in late February last year, this beer was not as prevalent as I had expected it to be. Not much better locally there either from what I recall, but it was a change of pace from Guinness Draught, or a Bulmers.

2.68/5  rDev -17.3%

blah. Out with the parents at an Irish pub, not many choices. This is a really mediocre beer. Beer is yellow, no head, no lacing, moderate to low carbonation of very large bubbles, looks like carbonated yellow water.

Aroma is mildly sulfury and just bland.

Beer is thin and watery. It has almost no forward sweetness and some sulfur and grains in the mid and late palates. It goes down like water too, but its harsh on the ending with a lingering aftertaste.

2.67/5  rDev -17.6%

ooh the continuity of pouring this beer into a guiness brand pint glass. cool with that.

clear watery yellow color in the beer. bubbly white head on this one, clinging to the glass on the way down.

yeasty, corn and wheat smell. very adjunct of them.

flavor is all sour wheat and yeast. the flavors are earthy and like grains, filling your mouth with bitter field yields. the bitterness comes from a much appreciated punch of hops on the back end.

fizzy, sticky feel.

uh, I guess I don't much like this type of beer, but this seemed especially bitter and sour. a flavor of more balanced hops or a sweetness I feel is important in these types of beers, to balance out everything.

2.67/5  rDev -17.6%

This pours from 12oz bottle a clear light gold with a huge head of foam that has very good retention and it has a lot of good sticky lacing.

The smell has some hoppiness to it with a touch of malt. Weak nose overall.

The taste has a mild hop bitterness up front with a small amount of malt and I can sense some corn but at least it's minimal. It finishes slightly bitter and has a light mouthfeel and pretty high carbonation. Not much more I can say about it other than if I want a
lager with similar light flavours, I can pay a lot less than the plus US$8 I paid for the 6pack. Next..

2.66/5  rDev -17.9%

I don't like it when beer makes my tastebuds jump off my tongue in order to get away from the taste. Harp has such a sharp, biting sting that just doesn't set well with me. I stuck my nose in it and I thought all would be well, but I'm just not into it. Then again, I am a bit of a wimp. I know plenty of people that rave about Harp. I don't think I'll ever be one of those people.

2.66/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Pours a clear yellow color. A small white head forms and leaves a little lace.
S: Sweet malt and grain. Sulfur and a chemical aroma.
T: Sweet malt and grain. A light bitterness lingers. Sulfur. Blah.
M/D: Very light and high carbonation. Thin and watery. Not hard to drink. Nothing I will session however.

Just blah and bland. Not the worst thing ever, but nothing I care to have again.

2.64/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 19oz pilsner.

Appearance: Very nice looking- almost perfect. Pours a honey color with a large white head that stays for a while, leaving a nice lace.

Smell: Very very weak smell but smells sweet and flowery.

Taste: Very weak taste also, and that isn't good. Very slight sweetness, with a weak finish of hop spice.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and pretty watery, with not too much carbonation, either.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, but doesn't have much of a taste. Not worth it's price, either. I don't have a problem drinking it, but nothing that I would be going out of my way to buy. Could be good on a summer day, but at the price there are much better choices.

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

I think of this as a kind of a yellow fizzy little beer. The lace is thin and has a very light body. I get a little bit of sweetness on the tongue and then a bitter grain follow through. I think this beer gets picked up more because they see who brews it. If it wasn’t for the name, I think this beer would get lost on the shelf with all the other random lagers.

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Had this on tap at the Baker Street Pub in The Woodlands, TX.

A: White frothy head which dissolved quickly with lots of lacing. Clear golden color which is slightly darker than a pils.

S: Nothing too special. Wheat and hops.

T: Nothing too special, though an aftertaste of honey.

MF: Decent carbonation, but nothing particularly noticable.

D: An okay beer, goes well with food, but a little unremarkable for me. Tomorrow when I go to play darts with the wife, I’m ordering a stout or a pale ale instead.

2.62/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Harp Premium lager 6pk bottles $7.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date. "From the makers of Guinness".

Pours a nice pale gold color. Put a little air between the bottle and glass towards the end of your pour. A nice three finger, creamy bright white head that last a long time. It give way to amazing lacing.

It smells rather adjunct, if you ask me. The malts smell great, and a light hop is detected. However a sweet corny smell is dominate here.

The taste is better than the smell but not by much. Bready malts, followed by a nice light hop taste in the middle. Towards the end there is a corny taste, but it is well hidden behind the dryness of the hops. The adjunct is better hidden in the taste than the smell.

mouth feel is decent. Not watery like Guinness, more towards the medium body. The malts and hop dryness cling to your palate, hiding the corn taste.

Overall i was not expecting too much from this brew. And that's what i got. It the best adjunct brew i have had to date. I just did not expect a corny taste in a euro pale lager. Would i buy this again, probably not.

2.62/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bright straw color with average activity. White 1.5 finger head, lasting around 5-10 minutes, with average legs.

Smell of sweet grains and faint floral spices. Flavors of grains, slight corn, noble type hops. Sweet roasted grains/corn with a slight syrupy feel but still ending with a nice sharpness.

Slick light body with prickly carbonation. Light and short finish, ending with smoky roasted malt feel and a bit hoppy.

Overall a mediocre craft having faint flavors and almost no personality but good freshness. Very basic and overly sugary.

2.61/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Strange that I have not reviewed this in my year, but after tasting it again, it may have been a while. Skunky bitter taste and nothing else to impress me. Passed on seconds at a dinner tonight. Appeared nice for a Euro Pale Lager, which is becoming one of my least favorite styles.

2.61/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours gold with a head that quickly turns to a ring, lacing is excellent. The aroma is of pale malts with no real hop character and a musty corn element in the back. The taste is of sweet almost cloying malts and not much else. This is tastes one dimensional, even for a macro lager. The hops are way too muted, only noticeable in a slightly bitter finish. The mouthfeel is light and processed (metallic?). This is an ok lager at best. Better than Blue but not good.

2.61/5  rDev -19.4%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

A: Orange-yellow body, thin foamy head. Looks like champaigne (sorry, sparking wine) more than beer.

S: Skunky at first, almost overpowering. Then notes of corn and grain. No hops.

T: Sweet, slight skunky but not too bad. Astringent aftertaste like grain.

M: Moderate mouthfeel. Kind of foamy due to carbonation.

D: Not one I'll be buying again anytime soon. Stella Artois or Grolsch would be a better example to-style.

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a pale golden hue with a thick head, some lacing, and ample carbonation. Looks like a typical adjunct lager. The smell is of malt and sweet cornsyrup with a touch of hop bite at the end. Reminds me a lot of miller high life. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a touch of bite from the carbonation. An uncomplex beer that tastes very much like an adjunct lager.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a dark yellow, orange like color. Reminds me of the color of expelled vitamins... Smells decent, but unfortunately for me, this smell always brings me back to my least favorite tasting beer, and that is anything by JW Dundee. Thankfully, this beer doesn't taste as strongly as JWD, but still an unpleasant maltyness to this beer. Watery, not much substance here. Really nothing exciting here except maybe an Irish parralel to PBR with a less offensive smell. Can't say I'm impressed, and I only saved 50 cents by going with this instead of getting Sierra Nevada like usual. Oh well, tis the time of the season for Irish.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

Served up on-tap at Hang Fire, a small, local dive bar in Savannah, Georgia.

Appearance: Clear, faint yellow body with a fine, white head. Light sheeting of lace on the way down.

Smell: Faint, vaguely grainy maltiness with a thin whiff of Noble hops.

Taste: Light pale malts with an equally light cereal sweetness and touch of grain. Expect no more than a hint of floral, spicy hops and bitterness, which remains for the drying finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation. A tad watery.

Drinkability: Tolerable and fairly cheap. Which, I'm sure, has been even said about me at times!

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a amber-gold color ,a little darker than the average larger.
The head was nice and full with a very light brown color.The initial smell was dull with just a bit of hop's but no skunk. The taste was rather plain & boring but maybe I was expecting more since my friend had hyped the beer to me.
I would just as soon drink a fresh Becks or Heineken as this so I dont think I will be drinking more in the near future.
Paid $3.50 for a pint

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

well at first the taste was a little sweet and then as the beer got warmer it got worse. i wasn't all impressed with this one. i was hoping that the taste would come out a little better as it got warmer as it should but it didn't.

the color was light just like usual average euro pale lagers.

i don't think that this would be a beer that i would try again...

the smell was a little sweet, but again i was not impressed...

overall just a little below average beer...

2.55/5  rDev -21.3%

A - Golden Yellow with a head that quickly disappears.

S - Bitter with a 'skunky' type smell.

T - Bitter with some citrus and hoppy.

M - List and Crisp

D - I wasn't too impressed with the taste of the beer. You could definitely sit back and drink couple of them though.

Just not my kinda beer, I could definitely see some people totally diggin' it though.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Slightly darker than your typical lager, but clear, with no head or lacing

Smell: Slightly phenolic, with not much else going on

Taste: Really rather unpleasant, to be honest; has some bite to it, but not a flavor I really appreciate; again, somewhat phenolic

Mouthfeel: Probably it's best attribute; light/medium bodied with decent carbonation

Drinkability: Next time, I think I'll give it a miss

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Fizzy yellow beer best describes this.

Corn sweetness with some other light grain.

Clean and crisp up front with a light grainy sweetness, but the middle and back end drop off completely and leave little trace of any flavor.

The carbonation is actually decent. The body is lighter and the finish dry.

No need to have this one again personally.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Harp: Not bad. Had some malt flavors, no hop bite. Deep yellow, if that makes sense, kind of a turbo charged macro-lager, but not bad, hit the spot. (for the second time, my computer chewed up my review.)

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours clear, light yellow color. Very small head that dissipates quickly. Some lacing on the glass. Notes of citrus and hops in the aroma. Very light, almost watery flavor with a bitter aftertaste. I've had American light beers with more flavor.

2.49/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, served at fridge temp.

Appearance: pale yellow gold with 1 finger ivory white head, nice lacing.

aroma is sour and musty

mouthfeel ok

taste: grainy with a sour metallic aftertaste.

Notes: trainwreck of a beer. As bad as any AAL from BMC.

Harp Lager from Guinness Ltd.