Guinness Red Harvest Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Red Harvest StoutGuinness Red Harvest Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Lemke10 on 08-21-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Red Harvest Stout Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -59.8%

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%

1.6/5  rDev -48.6%

A - typical Guinness here, a bit more red amber and translucent appearance sure, but in general the same standby. Nice cascading action towards the end of the pour and that same 1 finger off-white head that lingers the entire time and leaves a quilt of lacing all the way down

S - Honestly, nothing of note. Some light dark malt and a hint of toast, but that's about it

T - Take 2-3 ounces of a decent marzen style beer and add 8oz of water to it. It's like if Budweiser made a "fest" edition. No notable flavors, maybe some hint of a weak malty toast here and there but it's all quickly washed away by the watery, flat mouthfeel. Overall has that cheap beer flavor on the back of the tongue thew entire time.

M - Flat, bodyless, characterless. Like a watered down marzen that was left out all night.

O - Typical, terrible Guinness - at least what we get in the US. To me it's the Bud Light of Stouts, and it's just something that $3 draft Miller/Coors/Bud/Corona drinkers go crazy for on St. Patrick's day so they can pretend to be Irish. I will never understand how Guinness is able to produce a beer that looks so beautiful, but ends up being so hollow. This version fits the same bill, and will - if anyone actually cares about it - just be peddled to the same crowd that thinks Pumpkinhead is the be-all end-all of pumpkin ales.

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

1.83/5  rDev -41.2%

I enjoy Guinness and it was my first introduction to stout and I always go back to it, like a visit with an old, trusted friend.

I was really excited to try the Red Harvest Stout when I heard about it. There was a great deal of ad blast about it which made it even more exciting to want to try, so good job on the front end selling of that, Guinness Ltd.

After tracking a four-pack of it down and paying out the US $8.00 for it, I had a big expectation for what was in the cool looking nitro-can as I travelled home with my find. With visions of Samhain dancing in my head in all my Celtic splendor, I was even more excited to see the beautiful head and color that came pouring out into the glass when I got home and got down to the business of it.

But, that is where the dream ended. From the nose, which had a strange, almost pre-skunk aroma, I could not believe the flatness that came with my first sip. It did not match what was visibly in the glass. There was no taste and the mouthfeel was weirdly oily on my palette, with none of the stoutness I was fully expecting to experience.

On continuing to drink it, I find that it mellows out a bit but that is mostly from trying to get it over with and out of my sight and out of my life.

Sadly, I won't be recommending this one to anyone. If they were to take it back to the lab and re-work it, they might have something. I can't believe this made it past the quality control people. Makes me wonder just how much the sales teams who are pushing for the cash are trying to get the product to market before its actually ready,

That may work with software, computers, and smartphones, but not so much with beer.

2.1/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured from the can ...

A - Cascading in the classic Guinness waterfall, the head leaves a half finger of cream at the top. Dark amber hued, always an appealing view.

S - Very faint sweet malts and cocoa.

T - Dry with light grain, and an attempt at some sort of hop character in the back. Very plain I guess.

M - Creamy and lighter than water in the body, no staying power.

Overall I had a hunch this was going to be nothing great, it was incredibly dull and so down the sink it goes. It amazes me the storied legacy the Guinness name carries yet this is the product they release. Hopefully they change it up soon, god knows they have the money, tech, and manpower.

Cheers.

2.28/5  rDev -26.7%

A - OK I am open to a lot of versions of a style but come on. Stout is dark and always will be. This is red or amber in color. Just cause it is under the Guinness flag and has the nitro can doesn't make it a stout. Usual head for them but the color is red or burnt orange in color. Just cause the can says stout...

S - What smell? Can't talk about something that isn't there!

T - Now the moment of truth. Dry. Light toasty flavor. Little to no hop bite. Nothing that makes me think stout that's for sure. If they called it an Irish Red then I might look at it differently.

M- Watery and thin. Flavors don't stick around long.

O - Maybe there is a reason the Guinness site has no info about this beer. I like Guinness (especially the Extra Stout) but this is not good. Hey, I like to try beers that the brewers say "what if we..." and mess with stuff but this is not good. Not the worst I have had but one even a decent stout. Glad I just bought one can in a mixed six pack. Stick with the regular and the extra stout.

2.35/5  rDev -24.4%

Looks beautiful from the nitro-can. Ended up with a little over a finger of tight head on a dark brown/red colored body.
The aroma at first is lightly roasted malt, then an unpleasant musty scent comes in.
The taste is lacking any significant profile. There's a little milk cream and mild bitter.
The body is thin with moderate fizz.
This beer is a complete miss. Totally lacking flavor and body.

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%

Guinness Red Harvest Stout from Guinness Ltd.