Guinness Red Harvest Stout - Guinness Ltd.

Guinness Red Harvest StoutGuinness Red Harvest Stout

Guinness Ltd. visit their website
Ireland

Irish Dry Stout |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Lemke10 on 08-21-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Guinness Red Harvest Stout Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Ok, I havent written a review in a long while, but this beer needs one.

A - Ok, it looks cool and has the cascading "reverse waterfall" effect of a nitro can beer. Looks clear and amber, beautiful head as expected.

S - It doesn't have any real detectable aromas. No roast, no malt, no bitterness. It doesn't at all look like an Irish dry stout.

T - I've never eaten chalk before, but my guess is this is what it tastes like. This beer is one of the most disappointing and empty flavored beers I've had in a long time. This is an Irish dry stout? It's not even close, at all. This beer is flat, empty, and without a soul.

M - The mouthfeel is just as discouraging as the taste is. This beer is so light and empty. Honestly, I was very surprised here.

O - This beer is sad. I wouldn't try it again. I will drink most any beer and give any beer a shot, but this was a truly poor showing.

BeerForMuscle, Sep 26, 2013

hockeyfighter19, Sep 24, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Rojada1988, Sep 23, 2013
3.16/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

New Guinness is always something I look forward to.

Guinness always does well in the looks department and this one is no exception.

Clear light brown to Ruby red concoction with a tall white never dying head. Held up to the light this is decidedly Ruby in color.

Smells lightly malty with a mineral water and herbs scent to it. Roasted grain and a mealy scent. Green spice scent that I ID as cardamom.

Starts out malty with a slight sweetness and a little smoke. Toasted grain and some caramel flavor. Mineral water and a slight chocolate flavor. Bitterness is mild. That being said this is lightly flavored like most UK ales.

Mouthfeel is full.

Overall a mild and inoffensive ale from Guinness.

Zorro, Sep 22, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

gwiedman1, Sep 22, 2013

mpalestino, Sep 22, 2013
2.71/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark brown with red highlights and a slight off white one finger nitro head. Nice lace washes down the glass. The beer looks good. The good ends there. The nose is weak of caramel malts and a slight cheap hops. The taste falls flat. There is a weak caramel malt backbone and an adjunct hop back end. The beer taste slightly more complex than an adjunct. The mouth feel is creamy. Overall its rough...it taste cheap. Not sure what the aim was here.

goblue3509, Sep 21, 2013
3.14/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a brownish-ruby color with the classic cascade of nitrogen bubbles. Crimson around the edges when held up to light. About two fingers of creamy, thick, khaki-colored foam rests on top of the beer. Retention is very good, and plenty of puffy lace sticks to the glass.

S: Mildly roasty malt aroma. Light cocoa and fruitiness, with some watered-down coffee notes. A light leafy/floral hop presence is noticeable. Perhaps a slight lactic tang as well.

T: Some mild roastiness up front, with the same light cocoa/coffee/fruit notes as in the nose. Hop presence builds gradually into a relatively firm bitterness, at least for such a low abv nitro-stout. Some light leafy flavor from the hops, and some light sourness into the finish.

M: Rather light bodied, but the nitro gives it some pleasant creaminess. Carbonation is light, and the beer is a bit lighter and more watery than standard nitro Guinness.

O: This isn't offensive, but it's also not terribly exciting. I don't know if it'll taste different enough from standard Guinness for people to really flock to it. That said, it's light and pleasant in terms of mouthfeel, so if it gets a beginner interested in more exciting beer, that's a good outcome.

Clydesdale, Sep 21, 2013

kew, Sep 21, 2013

cdwil, Sep 21, 2013
1.83/5  rDev -41.2%

I enjoy Guinness and it was my first introduction to stout and I always go back to it, like a visit with an old, trusted friend.

I was really excited to try the Red Harvest Stout when I heard about it. There was a great deal of ad blast about it which made it even more exciting to want to try, so good job on the front end selling of that, Guinness Ltd.

After tracking a four-pack of it down and paying out the US $8.00 for it, I had a big expectation for what was in the cool looking nitro-can as I travelled home with my find. With visions of Samhain dancing in my head in all my Celtic splendor, I was even more excited to see the beautiful head and color that came pouring out into the glass when I got home and got down to the business of it.

But, that is where the dream ended. From the nose, which had a strange, almost pre-skunk aroma, I could not believe the flatness that came with my first sip. It did not match what was visibly in the glass. There was no taste and the mouthfeel was weirdly oily on my palette, with none of the stoutness I was fully expecting to experience.

On continuing to drink it, I find that it mellows out a bit but that is mostly from trying to get it over with and out of my sight and out of my life.

Sadly, I won't be recommending this one to anyone. If they were to take it back to the lab and re-work it, they might have something. I can't believe this made it past the quality control people. Makes me wonder just how much the sales teams who are pushing for the cash are trying to get the product to market before its actually ready,

That may work with software, computers, and smartphones, but not so much with beer.

BillV, Sep 21, 2013

Appearance: A dark brown with hints of red depending on how the light hits it. Typical nitro stout head and pour

Smell: Medium roasted malts, some mild hops, some toasted bread

Taste: Medium roasted malts, some caramel and toasted bread

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, typical nitro carbonation feel

Overall: Not bad, but also not terribly exciting. At $8 for a 4 pack of cans, I won't buy again. Very drinkable. Doesn't have a great depth of flavor, and disappointing for what I would have thought could be an exciting entrance into seasonals for Guinness.

MadCat, Sep 20, 2013

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

rderedin, Sep 15, 2013

brez8791, Sep 15, 2013
3.04/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A- Dark brown body with some hints of amber throughout. Foamy head that is just slightly off-white, much lighter than Guinness Draught.

S- Malts on the nose. Really just some toasted malts with a hint of roastiness.

T- Kind of like a stout without much roastiness. Sweet caramel malts mix in to take over most of the roastiness. Almost a light stout if there was such a thing.

M- Creamy, smooth, on the lighter side body-wise.

O- Not a fan of this one. Easy to drink due to the lighter body, but lacking flavor and aroma.

stephenjmoore, Sep 14, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

It's been way the hell too long since I used this glass, so I busted it out for this new Guinness offering (two within a year!?). Following the usual Guinness cascade, this stuff sits at a clear sunshine ruby topped by a stolid finger of cream foam. This has got to be the least stout-looking stout I have ever seen. Shit, it doesn't even approach real darkness, at least not in my sadly-lit room. (The can's pretty badass, though...) The nose comprises rich caramel, perfume-y coffee, and mild roasted malts. Everything's got that usual Guinness subtlety, thanks to the nitro, but it definitely works. The taste runs with the caramel, toasts it, and adds alternating veins of nuts and vanilla/jasmine. Again, much like the look, it's not stout-y, just roastier than usual for other styles (in this case, an Irish red or a "Scottish ale" or, in the worst way, a dark mild). The body is a light medium, with a nice nitrogenation and a subsequently silky feel (how the hell many times am I gonna say that?). Overall, this is an enjoyable quaff, nothing I would consider stout (but people like me have been saying "Fuck styles!", so, yeah...), but definitely something I wouldn't mind seeing around for a while as a minor change of pace.

TMoney2591, Sep 13, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Celtics76, Sep 11, 2013
Guinness Red Harvest Stout from Guinness Ltd.