Kuhnhenn Forbidden IPA - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 93 | Reviews: 9
Reviews by sweemzander:
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I was thrown for a loop by the lilac color, which apparently comes from the anthocyanins found in black rice (hence the "forbidden" name), but it's actually quite lovely. Half a finger bubbly white head that dissipates into a very thin ring and slight film on surface. Smell shocked me, too. Slight woody hop aroma and a bit of dark fruit; however, the predominant component of the nose is a creamy, buttery smell (like a buttered popcorn Jelly Belly). I'm guessing that indicates the presence of diacetyl, which is also present in the taste, along with a mild piny hop bitterness, fruit, and some very faint pepper/spices. Mouthfeel is a bit too intense for my liking: medium carbonation in a light-to-medium body with a notably dry, astringent finish. Overall, this is a decent double IPA with some distinct traits. It could use a more complex flavor profile, if you ask me, and less of that diacetyl. I like Kuhnhenn's DRIPA better, but this is still interesting in its own right. I'd get it again.

3.79/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

355 ml bottle
Served in a teku glass

A - It has a peach/orange colored body. There is almost no head. There is just a beige film on top.

S - I get some citrus. There is also a sweet candy aroma. It reminds me a little of Citra Ninja.

T - I am met with a piercing citrus taste. It is very intense. It has a sweet finish.

M - Moderate

O - It reminds me of Citra Ninja, although I like this beer better. The sweet finish is not my favorite.

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Forbidden IPA last week from my friend as a birthday gift, thanks Ben. I'm a big fan of Kuhnhenn's DRIPA and I almost always order it when i see it on draft and I'm excited to see how how the black rice works with this beer, so lets see how it goes. Released at The Winter Solstice, so it's still fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- This beer has a nice looking label, it's not the most eye catching, but it has some decent information on the back. It poured a very nice caramel like color with a slight purple hint to it to that took on more of a fuchsia color when held to the light just like Kuhnhenn described and it had a finger and half worth of off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This was a very good looking beer, the black rice gives it a pretty unique color, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a huge fruit aroma that must be from the hops, it's similar to DRIPA, but this one has a big berry like fruityness with some of the tropical and citrus fruit aromas from DRIPA in the background. Up next comes a nice slightly creamy aroma with a light caramel like aroma with some piney hop aromas seeming to show up towards the end. The aroma is awesome, I couldn't stop smelling it, I think it's pretty unique and there's a noticeable difference between the aromas of the two beers.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up imparting a earthy, piney, and a pretty fruit aroma with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some malty, grainy, and slight caramel like flavors with a different toasted flavor that must be from the black rice. On the finish there's a light alcohol flavor followed by a medium amount of bitterness and a slightly grainy and pretty fruity aftertaste. This was pretty nice tasting beer and I would say it's still pretty similar to DRIPA.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very good and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and a very nice example of a rice DIPA, it's pretty similar to DRIPA in most aspects, but the color and aroma is pretty different and to me that's what sets these two beers apart and i think the black rice was a nice addition to this beer. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, a little refreshing, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think I could drink a few of these, but I know the alcohol would catch up to me eventually, but if I had another one I would drink it. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was very impressive and I don't think I've got an aroma that I've liked this much in a while. What I liked the least about this beer was that the great berry aspect that I got in the taste didn't make it's way to the flavor, if the berry showed up on the taste it would put it a level above DRIPA. I would for sure buy this beer if I saw it and I would recommend it to anyone who likes hoppy beers and it's a must try if you like DRIPA. All in all I really enjoyed this beer, when it came to the taste it wasn't drastically different from DRIPA, but I thought the aroma was really different and very enjoyable. Great job guys, this is a nice twist on DRIPA and hope to have it again some day, keep up the awesome and unique work.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep amber/copper color. Slightly darker than most IIPAs.
S - citrusy, hop forward aroma
T - Excellent taste, hop forward, strong citrus flavor with some earthy notes also. finishes with a nice caramel finish.
M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation
Overall - This might be second only to Heady for me in terms of IIPAs. It really tastes like a stronger, slightly more bitter Zombie Dust. Phenomenal beer from a local brewery.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

12 ounce bottle into signature tulip glass, 2013 Winter Solstice bottling. Pours lightly hazy orange amber color with a 1 finger dense white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of huge mango, papaya, tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, orange zest, caramel, candi sugar, bread, floral, grass, and floral earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great complexity of tropical/citrus hops and moderate malt sweetness; with good strength. Taste of big mango, papaya, tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, orange zest, caramel, candi sugar, bread, floral, grass, light pine, and floral earthiness. Light amount of floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of mango, papaya, tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, orange zest, caramel, candi sugar, floral, grass, and light pine on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic complexity of big tropical/citrus hops with moderately balanced malt sweetness; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a lightly slick, smooth, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome DIPA. All around great complexity of big tropical/citrus hops and moderate malt sweetness; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

3.8/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to GRG1313 for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear light reddish-purple with a foamy off-white head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with malt and grain flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with an interesting usage of the rice.

3.95/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a deep, somewhat clear, amber-red color with two inches of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, fruity malts, light pine hops, grapefruit, bready malts, caramel, and buttered bread. Nice nose with some good citrus up front.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, fruity malts, bready malts. dough, caramel, grapefruit, lemon zest, and some light pine hops. Little bit of bitterness to it.

m - Medium body and high carbonation. Light bitter bite. A bit too carbonated.

o - Overall a pretty nice DIPA; don't like t quite as much as DRIPA, but it is good. A bit over-carbonated but a lot of nice citrus to it. Worth seeking out.

4.66/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks Josh for the chance to have this great beer! Pours amber with a purple haze to it with a thin, quickly dissipating white head. Lots of fine lacing. Aromas of citrus, pine, with a whiff of catty funk. Bitterness on the front of the tongue, piney citrusy hops that finishes bitter and dry. Hint of pepper. Medium mouthfeel with decent carbonation. Drinks very easily for a 9.75 ABV IPA. Overall, this is an extremely well crafted IPA that is extremely drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Pretty sure this isn't very fresh

Very thin head with great retention.

Smell is pretty dull. A hint of a combination of hops.

The taste is pretty hard to describe. Probably the black rice. Its pretty candy-like. I didn't taste alcohol very much at all. I pretty much want to inhale this beer

Much respect for Kuhnhenn.

to view more.