Kuhnhenn Michigan Raw Barleywine - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Michigan Raw Barleywine
No picture uploaded.

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

American Barleywine |  10.50% ABV

Brewed with Michigan raw wheat and barley.

(Beer added by: Stevedore on 12-22-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by JoninVT:

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

3.72/5  rDev -1.8%

3.88/5  rDev +2.4%

Reviewing the Michigan Raw Barleywine from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company out of Warren, Michigan.

Score: 87

December 2013 vintage bottle. Served in a Kuhnhenn snifter and enjoyed on 12/30/13.

Appearance: Pours a clean, translucent orange honey color with a thin wisp of off-white head from the pour that settles to a thin bubbly ring around the glass. Below average lacing and poor retention. 3.5/5

Smell: Orangey hops, a little grassiness and big maltiness. Comes off like an orange peel randalled Three Floyd's Behemoth. A faint hint of onion too. 4/5

Taste: Orange, sweet caramel malt, woody pine and a little spice. Has a little bitterness, but not a huge bite. Simple, but drinkable. A little booziness toward finish too, but the alcohol heft goes nice with the bitter and spice. The malt character finishes with a nice linger. 4/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, low carbonation in a slightly under-carbonated kind of way. Oily mouthfeel. Malty, with a non-biting, mild bitterness. 3.5/5

Overall: A solid beer that lives on the blurred line between a malty double IPA and hoppy barleywine. At $6, the price point was acceptable, but this is not a beer I would spend any effort revisiting.

Cost: $6 for a 12 oz bottle.

4.16/5  rDev +9.8%

12 fl. Oz. bottle
Served in a Kuhnhenn snifter

A - This offering is amber with gold highlights. It is capped with an inch of off-white head.

S - The aroma is dank, citrus hops with a little alcohol.

T - It has that wet hopped flavor. I taste a lot of grapefruit. It tastes more like a DIPA than a barleywine.

M - Moderate

O - It reminds me a little of Stone Enjoy By. It is delicious but would never guess this was a barleywine. In a blind taste I would say it was a DIPA. But lines are often blurred when it comes to styles and brewers interpretations.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

12oz bottle from IAmJacksHopTongue (many thanks!). "Solstice 2013" is as close as this gets to a bottle date. Served in a Barrel and Barley teku.

Pours a hazy, near opaque straw amber with a half finger of pale head. It doesn't take long for the bubbles to fade to a thin halo which persists without leaving any lace.

Aromas of cereal grains, citrus peel, pine and caramel. Understated but pleasant enough.

Wow! After the fairly subtle nose I was not expecting such an explosion of flavor. Orange marmalade, tropical citrus purée, sappy pine, cereal grains, caramel, biscuit, pepper, vague toffee and an appropriate amount of alcohol to back it all up. The citrus, pine and tropical hops meld beautifully with the cereal, toffee and caramelly malts to create a near-perfect American barleywine. The booze is present but never overbearing. Fantastic!

The body is oily, semi-chewy and substantial with a pleasantly moderate carbonation. That excellent balance remains in the aftertaste- grapefruit peel, papaya, pine needles, caramel malts, toffee and cereal.

Michigan Raw is probably the best American barleywine that I've ever had. Most brewerys seem to have a hard time find the right balance of hop bitterness and flavor to compliment the higher grain bill of the style. For my tastes, Kuhnhenn has nailed it here. I sure hope to have this again sometime and highly recommend it.

3.6/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Michigan Raw Barleywine from my friend as a gift for my birthday, thanks a lot Ben. I'm a big Barleywine fan so I'm very interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's got a nice design to it but it looks like it could have been printed on a basic computer printer, but that's all part of the Kuhnhenn charm. It poured a golden orange color that took on more of an orange and light caramel like color when held to the light with a half a fingers worth of light tan head that quickly faded to a really thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I thought the color looked a little more DIPA like than Barleywine Like.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly high amount of sweetness that has a slight candied sugar like aroma to it followed by a the malts being the first too show up and they impart some sweet malts, toffee and caramel like aromas with some dark fruits showing up in the background. Up next comes the the hops that impart a citrus and tropical fruit like aroma with a little bit of dank resinous hops in the background and there's also a noticeable alcohol aroma. The aroma is pretty nice, but it's very DIPA like and the hop profile reminds me a lot of DRIPA and Forbidden IPA.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first so show up and they impart all those malty aspect that I got in the aroma, but they seem a little lighter which isn't characteristic for a Barleywine. Up next comes the alcohol, it's pretty noticeable and slightly warming, but it's not too boozy for 10.50% and it's followed by the hops that impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma, but they are lighter and there's also a pretty noticeable piney hop flavor. On the finish there's a very high amount of medium bitterness that bordered on being highly bitter with a sweet, caramel, and hoppy aftertaste. This is a nice tasting beer, but It's not as balanced as I would like for a Barleywine.

M- A little smooth, a little boozy, a little rich, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a higher amount of low carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, but I didn't think it was the truest example of a Barleywine, I know some Barleywines can be pretty hoppy but this one really pushed the limits and I think that I would think it's a DIPA if I had it blind, the bitterness and lingering hoppyness really makes it DIPA like. This beer didn't have the best drinkability. it was a little smooth, a little rich, slightly sticky, a little boozy, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, I think the bitterness would start to wear on me eventually. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, to me it was the most Barleywine like aspect. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was confusing, it felt like it was right in the middle and it couldn't decide if it wanted to be a DIPA or a Barleywine. I might get this beer again, but there's many other Kuhnhenn beers that I would much rather spend my money on and I can't say I would recommend it unless you like really hoppy Barleywines. All in all this one was just a little disappointing, I have heard many good things about Kuhnhenn's Barleywine and barrel aged Barleywine, so I was expecting good things from this one, but I should have known that since they already make a very good and true to style barleywine they aren't just going to just make another one that's very similar. I think this beer could be labeled a DIPA and nobody would complain. I appreciate the effort but this one isn't a favorite from Kuhnhenns or for the style, better luck next time guys.

3.06/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: pours a deep orange color. small half a finger of a white head that has strong retention and leaves behind a pretty sizable lacing. completely hazy and opaque with some floating sediment.

Smell: strong herbal notes and alcohol astringency. crystal to caramel sweetness. toasted grains. some citrus.

Taste: opens with a light honey like sweetness, quickly becomes astringent with herbal hops and strong alcohol. crystal malts play through with a good dose of sweetness. back end has some hints at toasted grains but comes full circle with another strong kick of alcohol astringency

Mouthfeel: heavy, alcohol strong and warm. bitter and lingering.

Overall: at a little under a year old this barleywine is still very astringent and harsh, the big problem is that the tastes are not developed enough to balance this astringency as they should.

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%