Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,240
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros

6.3oz. green glass bottle, dated 2004. Consumed at room temperature. Pours a beautiful deep garnet red, almost black with a fine, off-white head with minimal lacing.

The nose is pure sweetness. Raspberries, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate with the merest suggestion of alcohol. I found myself smelling the glass long after the beer was gone.The taste is even more amazing. A burst of ripe raspberries progresses to bitter-sweet chocolate truffle in a smooth, fluid transition. Vaguely spiced in the finish; earthy, anise. The flavor just lingers softly in your mouth, waiting for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Syrupy, but not sticky, more silky. Wonderful. Drinkability is perfect. A sipper, but only a drying hint of alcohol. Smooth enough to finish in one gulp.

It doesn’t get any better than this. Bottled perfection. Was very tempted to open my second bottle right after enjoying the first.

Scored this 2007 vintage in a trade this past fall and kept it for a special occassion. Certainly, a great way to ring out 2008 on New Year's Eve.

Poured from the miniscule, 6.3 oz, burgundy-red wax capped bottle into my Leffe stemmed goblet. It poured very viscous and cloudy, almost pulpy it's so thick. Upon swirling, it's as if the raspberry pits cling to the glass.

On to the nose. An explosion of ripened raspberries, like jam in a glass. I feel like making a PB & J sandwich it's so bountiful. I like a brew that clearly states it's case even before I sip it.

I let the bottle rest on the kitchen counter for 15 minutes and then another five or so in the glass before the first magical sip. Like a chocolate candy with raspberry filling! Chewy and fruity with a mild alcohol burn in the finsih. Thick and full bodied. Fruity esters abound like raspberry preserves and caramel sandwiched as one. Then caramel notes become more dominant as it warms further.

This is a tongue-coater. The raspberry goodness pricks the sides of your tongue then fades with a flourish of mild alcohol bite.

Obviously a special, world-class treat, meant to be savored as I did in front of a fire on New Year's Eve. I hope they make it to the Extreme Beer Fest again like they did last year.

Thanks to BigDaddyWil for getting me this one:

Wow…. I mean…. Wow!!

This beer is mind-blowingly fantastic. Lives up to, and then exceeds the hype. I was all set to write an extensive review but I’m enjoying this one way too much divide my attention for too long, so here goes nothing:

Pours a deep copper/mahogany with a moderate head and very little lace (precisly what’s to be expected from an eisbock). From the nose to the palate there are very rich and very clean raspberry and chocolate flavors (sweet chocolate, mind you, not the bitter unsweetened kind you normally encounter in beer, though that’s in there too). The mouthfeel is silky and fairly full with a light carbonation tang. The alcohol is hidden so well that this 13% ABV brew is more drinkable than many of the 8% or 9% ABV beers that I’ve had. It is so incredibly delicious that the 6.3oz serving is gone in no time!!

This is probably the best beer I have ever had, it’s certainly the only one I’ve ever given all 5’s! Highly, highly recommended!!!

I have wanted to try this for as long as I can remember. Having a small sample when I was at the brewery a few months ago really made me anticipate its release with super high expectations. After finally getting some 6.3 oz bottles and opening them, I knew at first sniff this would exceed my expectations. Opaque reddish brown with an inch of light tan head that left scatterings of lace around the glass. Aroma packs quite a punch with sweet molasses and tons of raspberry goodness that is definitely the real deal not artificial. Alcohol is there but is not noticeable over the huge fruit scents. Light sweetness and burnt sugar notes were there as well. The taste was even more impressive than the aroma, with a huge raspberry flavor that blended well with the sweet caramel and light chocolate notes. The alcohol is there and is warming as hell but never interferes with the flavor. Some other light fruit notes I think were peaking through as well other subtleties that I couldn’t recognize. Simply amazing stuff. Mouthfeel was insanely thick and syrupy that just coated your tongue with even the most minute sip. Drinkability? I could sip a on a growler of this all day if I ever got the chance. Well worth the price of admission here, though I wish it was cheaper so I could get more. 750s next time please.

Amazing. Not much more to say

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company