2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 807 | Reviews: 410 | Show All Ratings:
beergeek279

Served in a tulip right at Kuhnhenn in Warren. The color was a dark chocolate brown, with an amazingly creamy, thick head for such a high ABV. The smell was a wonderful mix of raspberry tartness and chocolate richness. The taste was a wonderful mix of the tartness of the raspberry and the fairly sweet chocolatey maltiness....rather than competing with each other, they accentuated each other nicely (like a chocolate-covered cherry), and there was absolutely no alcohol to be noticed whatsoever! Mouthfeel was very rich and thick. As for drinkability, I could have these, especially in the winter, until hell froze over.

This was the beer that I was definitely hoping to get my hands on in Michigan, and thanks to kindness beyond the call of duty from Brett and Eric Kuhnhenn, I was able to go back and split a bottle with my brother, and I was sure glad that I did. For this is truly a world-class beer...just sooo good, so thick and chocolatey and raspberry, and believe me somehow they meld together into such goodness. This may well truly have been my favorite beer in the world, and I would do anything to have this one again.

09-02-2004 18:16:18 | More by beergeek279
Gaisgeil

On tap for one night only 5/7/2005 @ the Kuhnhenn pub, aren't I the lucky one?

This is by far and away, one of the most masterfully crafted beers I've ever consumed. Quite an artistic masterpiece if you were to ask me, and you're reading this, so in a way, you kind of are, aren't you? :) Just a quick note before I begin, I had very hard time giving this brew all 5's, it really should be a true rarity, and maybe along subjective lines I thought the mouthfeel was a little too sticky or what not, but on the other hand, Eisbocks are supposed to be that way, so this beer truly deserves these scores, no two ways about it, so my ratings are tempered both subjectively and objectively.

Served in a small snifter the brew appears a cloudy brown in color with dark ruby tones swirling about. There was a small and creamy crown of a head around the edges with thin streams of it circling toward the middle of the glass. The nose is impressive, I could defiantly detect the raspberries right away, accompanied by a mixture of dark fruits and just the slightest tinge of alcohol, just enough to give the brew a very strong character, but not enough to throw off the balance. A deep note of dark baker's chocolate was also present. All of these combined for one interesting glass to keep smelling, and that I did! I couldn't keep from wanting to smell it over and over, beautiful!

Now to the taste, this brew was simply stunning, this is one incredibly sexy and vivacious beverage. I would take this beer over all comers when it comes to something you save for special occasions. In fact, while I'm not even seeing anyone seriously, I bought a large bottle to open the day I get married. Sentimental? Sure. But believe me, this one is like the girl (or guy, whatever you're into) of your dreams, like falling in love for just a second. Maybe I'm over-romanticizing here, but to hell with it, a brew like this deserves to be waxed poetically about.

The taste is a bit tart a first, even a little sour, in a good way. This is followed by an undercurrent of figs, raisins and other dark fruits, also a certain intoxicating flavor underpins all of it, that almost dry and bittersweet chocolate, then the raspberries really make an appearance. The chocolate and the raspberry flavors continue nearly indefinitely, there doesn't even seem to be any real finish. The sticky nature of the brew I'm sure helps with that, but each sip lasted an eternity, and believe me, that is certainly a good thing. There are so many layers going on here that you forget about the base almost completely, but if you concentrate you notice a very well orchestrated dance between malt sweetness and hop bitterness and it really serves as the foundation of this beer. While the ABV is fairly high, you would NEVER guess it, there is nothing denoting it in the flavor profile, how those Kuhnhenn boys do this is beyond me, pure magic.

Mouthfeel was of course thick and sticky, very full and robust which lends itself well to the qualities in the flavor. Just about perfect.

I'm fairly certain this beer is an aphrodisiac, I'm not kidding when I say this brew is sexy, it really and truly just IS. I've never had a beer get me starting to think about big beds, fireplaces, poetry, hot tubs and that certain look in another person's eyes. Truly a great beer experience that I'll be hard pressed to top. Go ahead and find it if you can and share it with someone special, this beer is an event. Luckily I bought a few bottles for those future special occasions. I'd recommend everyone do the same.

Slàinte mhath! To you and yours!

05-08-2005 14:03:27 | More by Gaisgeil
meathookjones

I have wanted to try this for as long as I can remember. Having a small sample when I was at the brewery a few months ago really made me anticipate its release with super high expectations. After finally getting some 6.3 oz bottles and opening them, I knew at first sniff this would exceed my expectations. Opaque reddish brown with an inch of light tan head that left scatterings of lace around the glass. Aroma packs quite a punch with sweet molasses and tons of raspberry goodness that is definitely the real deal not artificial. Alcohol is there but is not noticeable over the huge fruit scents. Light sweetness and burnt sugar notes were there as well. The taste was even more impressive than the aroma, with a huge raspberry flavor that blended well with the sweet caramel and light chocolate notes. The alcohol is there and is warming as hell but never interferes with the flavor. Some other light fruit notes I think were peaking through as well other subtleties that I couldn’t recognize. Simply amazing stuff. Mouthfeel was insanely thick and syrupy that just coated your tongue with even the most minute sip. Drinkability? I could sip a on a growler of this all day if I ever got the chance. Well worth the price of admission here, though I wish it was cheaper so I could get more. 750s next time please.

06-03-2005 19:22:20 | More by meathookjones
jewski

6.3oz. green glass bottle, dated 2004. Consumed at room temperature. Pours a beautiful deep garnet red, almost black with a fine, off-white head with minimal lacing.

The nose is pure sweetness. Raspberries, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate with the merest suggestion of alcohol. I found myself smelling the glass long after the beer was gone.The taste is even more amazing. A burst of ripe raspberries progresses to bitter-sweet chocolate truffle in a smooth, fluid transition. Vaguely spiced in the finish; earthy, anise. The flavor just lingers softly in your mouth, waiting for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Syrupy, but not sticky, more silky. Wonderful. Drinkability is perfect. A sipper, but only a drying hint of alcohol. Smooth enough to finish in one gulp.

It doesn’t get any better than this. Bottled perfection. Was very tempted to open my second bottle right after enjoying the first.

12-02-2005 07:18:35 | More by jewski
arguemaniac

Thanks to BigDaddyWil for getting me this one:

Wow…. I mean…. Wow!!

This beer is mind-blowingly fantastic. Lives up to, and then exceeds the hype. I was all set to write an extensive review but I’m enjoying this one way too much divide my attention for too long, so here goes nothing:

Pours a deep copper/mahogany with a moderate head and very little lace (precisly what’s to be expected from an eisbock). From the nose to the palate there are very rich and very clean raspberry and chocolate flavors (sweet chocolate, mind you, not the bitter unsweetened kind you normally encounter in beer, though that’s in there too). The mouthfeel is silky and fairly full with a light carbonation tang. The alcohol is hidden so well that this 13% ABV brew is more drinkable than many of the 8% or 9% ABV beers that I’ve had. It is so incredibly delicious that the 6.3oz serving is gone in no time!!

This is probably the best beer I have ever had, it’s certainly the only one I’ve ever given all 5’s! Highly, highly recommended!!!

01-16-2006 04:10:04 | More by arguemaniac
letsgopens

Bottled in 2004, this tiny jewel of beer goodness pours a woody, copperish, orange/amber with a very thin pearl head that recedes but leaves some nice walls when rolled in a short taster. Pour this bit of perfection in to a glass suited for sipping.

I have no idea how many beers I've tried, maybe 1,500 to 2,000 or so, and I have never had anything that comes close to this beer as far as aroma is concerned. Sublime, pure and simple. Sweet malty caramel covering warm ripe raspberries. Malty bread-like toffee and molasses; raspberry streusel. Heavily fermented fruit and milk chocolate. The berries never dull and I notice something new with every smell and/or sip. Absurdly complex and decadent. I could barely bring myself to finish the beer for fear I would miss the aroma too much.

The flavor does manage to do the aroma justice some how. Syrupy and sweet with an insanely complex mix of slightly roasted malt, caramel, molasses, crushed raspberries, citrus, a tannin like quality, alcohol, and a bready gluttonous thickness. Decadent and impressively complex. Almost unbelievable. Absolutely ideal; there may be some odd, small characteristic that could be tweaked to make this beer even better; but for now I have no idea what that is. Maybe a larger bottle?

Syrupy, thick, warm decadence. The flavor and body of the beer linger on the tongue, teasing me long after I've finished. I'm fairly sure that they've found a way to bottle Christmas. I'm already jonesing here. It’s difficult to say but I'm fairly sure this is the best beer I've ever had.

11-28-2007 00:09:16 | More by letsgopens
Phocion

2004 vintage. Thanks to northerntimber for this one which I received in my first trade about a year and a half ago.

Beautiful wax-covered miniature bottle poured into my Corsendonk tuilip with a dark brown color, almost pitch-black, with absolutely no head and only a small crown of thin foam along the top. This thing pours more like motor oil than a beer, very thick. Surprised to see the bottle is actually green upon emptying.

Aroma is...wow. Dark chocolate, and incredibly sweet. The raspberry flavor is subtle at first but grows as it warms up. Huge cognac flavor and even similar to Chambord. Lighter bready and brown sugar malts and even a hint of raisin -- actually along with the chocolate it kind of reminds me of Raisinettes.

I don't remember the last time I took one sip of a beer and said the words "oh my God" out loud, but I just did it tonight. Warm alcohol flavor and perfect combination of bitterness and sweetness with the chocolate and fruitiness. I could probably go on but frankly, my palette is overwhelmed and there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said in previous reviews.

This is very thick, almost syrupy. Actually, it almost feels more like a liqueur than a beer. But the flavor alone is so awesome I could see myself getting into a lot of trouble with these.

I was actually expecting to be disappointed in this, anything that receives so much hype I thought could never live up to it. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have never given a beer a 5.0 rating before and I honestly never thought I would, but this little baby transcends the realm of beer. The only word to describe this thing is... "wow."

01-05-2008 01:04:16 | More by Phocion
Pointman

Could be one of the best beers in the world. I am not kidding. These guys can make a fantastic beer.

Best dessert beer ever....even better than their Tenacious Cassis.

Served in a snifter....very dark red. Almost blood like...well at $13/ 6 oz I guess it is blood.

The aroma was awesome. The flavor was even better. The beer attacked my senses.

Very little head, and slight legs. But who cares....the flavor was unreal...sweet, bitter and it kept gropwing. Chocolate, Rasberry, slight alcohol but WOW.

Since I had this on VD, it was my present to myself....sorry ladies...BEER wins! Best chocolates EVER!

Very rich and like a woman it makes you want more when you are done. Very smooth and rich, even in the aroma.

02-16-2008 18:20:35 | More by Pointman
jim102864

Connecticut

Scored this 2007 vintage in a trade this past fall and kept it for a special occassion. Certainly, a great way to ring out 2008 on New Year's Eve.

Poured from the miniscule, 6.3 oz, burgundy-red wax capped bottle into my Leffe stemmed goblet. It poured very viscous and cloudy, almost pulpy it's so thick. Upon swirling, it's as if the raspberry pits cling to the glass.

On to the nose. An explosion of ripened raspberries, like jam in a glass. I feel like making a PB & J sandwich it's so bountiful. I like a brew that clearly states it's case even before I sip it.

I let the bottle rest on the kitchen counter for 15 minutes and then another five or so in the glass before the first magical sip. Like a chocolate candy with raspberry filling! Chewy and fruity with a mild alcohol burn in the finsih. Thick and full bodied. Fruity esters abound like raspberry preserves and caramel sandwiched as one. Then caramel notes become more dominant as it warms further.

This is a tongue-coater. The raspberry goodness pricks the sides of your tongue then fades with a flourish of mild alcohol bite.

Obviously a special, world-class treat, meant to be savored as I did in front of a fire on New Year's Eve. I hope they make it to the Extreme Beer Fest again like they did last year.

01-31-2009 11:25:32 | More by jim102864
goethean

A gift to my wife from my good friend Jay23.

2007 vintage poured chilled into a wine glass. Fragrant. A deep, rich, full raspberry flavor, the most authentic and genuine fruit flavor I've encountered in beer, its so real that you can practically feel the delicate texture of the skin of the berry. The chocolate is less assertive than the fruit, but it is clearly evident. Mild dark malt flavor. The caramel is less assertive still. Not very big bodied. Wine-like. The high alcohol content is hidden completely.

This is superior in several respects to the New Glarus fruit beers, which are very good. This is more balanced, more restrained, less sacchariney, and perhaps more complex. Plus its bottle conditioned and not pasteurized.

My main complaint is the small 187 ml serving size, which my wife and I split.

05-10-2009 18:11:51 | More by goethean
ktrillionaire

2004 (tiny) bottle. I wish it was a Methuselah! Better yet, how about a Melchizedek...

A - It has a hallowed, sanctified, consecrated appearance, projecting a velvety royal oxblood-crimson hue with visibly plasma-like viscosity. There is a smattering of wispy tan froth, though it is very scant.

S - This is indescribably delicious. I have never experienced a better fruit- anything. No beer, wine, jelly, juice, candy, confection or fruit itself has ever hit me with this level of deliciousness. And I haven't even taken a sip yet. There is an unbelievably rich malt sensibility that is reminiscent of the best English Barleywines I have had, evoking memories of J.W. Lees 1997 and some of the better Thomas Hardy vintages, except decadently raspberry-laden. As I drink away this (perhaps-never-to-be-seen-again) treat, the EBW comparison is solidified.

T - Off the hook. This beer is paradoxical; it is simultaneously intense and sensational, whilst also being sublimely refined. This is the definitely the best fruit flavor I have ever had. I think this is probably the most delicious beer I have ever had! Yeah, I said it. Now what? Beautifully lustrous and luxurious malt-driven notes of caramelized brown sugar, toffee and hazelnut, dried dark fruits macerated in raspberry liquor as well as oaken vanilla provide myriad pleasure and complexity. I really can't do this justice with words. The ABV is unthinkable, you would never know that this had 6%, much less 13.5%. I am not tremendously familiar with this brew as a fresh(er) product, so I can not accurately say what changes time has wrought; I can say that time has been very good to it.

M - Crimson velvet. Silky smooth. Slightly sparkling (ever-so). I could ask for nothing more.

D - Too much of my enjoyment of this gem has been squandered ticking! Perfect 5s!

11-03-2010 22:49:43 | More by ktrillionaire
Samichlaus82

Germany

It pours a muddy, reddish brown with no head. Seems rather viscous and the small bubbles of carbonation can’t escape this swirling brew. The nose has a bit of dark chocolate, raspberry liqueur, dates, dried cherries, and very dark caramel. The flavor has bold, tart raspberry and cherry notes, leather, and cocoa powder. The sweetness up front is replaced with a dry tartness on the back end. Very rich and full bodied with a lasting finish. This one definitely expanded my thoughts about what beer can do. Pretty damn outstanding.

10-24-2012 09:23:34 | More by Samichlaus82
zac16125

South Carolina

4.98/5  rDev +13.2%

375mL bottle into a Teku glass
2012 Vintage

350th Beer Advocate Review

A big thanks to Tee2grn for sending this one over in a trade. One of my very top wants for a couple years now.

A: Pours a deep, dark, ruby red with 1 fingers width of tan colored head which quickly dissipates down to nothing. Leaves zero lacing and just a hint of alcohol legs.

S: Just an incredibly luscious sweet raspberry aroma. Like raspberry cheesecake, or raspberry truffles, or red velvet cake. There is a rich, dark chocolate syrup character as well. The faintest hint of booze comes in to remind you that you aren't smelling a gourmet dessert. There is a touch of tart raspberry notes as well. This thing is perfection. I think this is one of the best smelling things I have ever smelled.

T: Sweet raspberry, tart raspberry, rich chocolate, and a hint of mocha coffee bitterness. Some roasted and black malts come out. Faint hints of booze add to the depth and complexity. As it warms I also get caramel/toffee and licorice. An absolutely incredible combination of flavors, with just the right balance of tart and bitter to keep the huge sweetness in check. The aftertaste is incredible with semi-sweet bakers chocolate and dark fruit sweetness, and it lingers forever after each sip. Amazing.

M/D: Very full bodied, thick, a bit chewy, and almost (but not quite) syrupy. Surprising smoothness, likely from the perfect lower carbonation. No burn going down, but gives a whole body warming sensation. ABV is very well restrained and drinkability is just absurd.

O: Near perfect. One of the top handful of beers Ive had all time. World class.

07-01-2013 18:47:36 | More by zac16125
walleye

4.97/5  rDev +13%

RE-RATE 5/7/07 ON TAP FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY BUT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 6.3 OZ BOTTLES THIS ONE WAS DIFFERANT THAN THE 1ST ABV IS NOW 18%. POURED A MUDDY BROWN WITH LITLE TO NO HEAD. AROMA RASPBERRIES AND WHERE DID THAT CHOCOLATE COME FROM MALTS, WITH HINTS OF ALCOHOL AND DARK FRUITS . FLAVOR SAME AS AROMA . THIS WAS NOT AS SYRUPY AS THE 1ST OR AS SWEET. I WASN'T GOING TO CHANGE MY RATING BUT AFTER SOME DEP THINKING I DECIDED TO CHANGE MY RATING THE PREV. RATING WAS ALL 4.5S THE BROTHERS PUT A LOT OF TIME AND EFFERT INTO MAKING THIS A QUAILTY BREW AND IT SHOWED THAT WHEN BRET CAME TO THE TABLE EXPLAIND THE PROCESS OF MAKING THIS GREAT BREW WITH THE RBS THAT WHERE AT THE TABLE WOW.Had this in may Poured dark brown with hints of ruby around the edges, no head with some lacing.aroma ,nice balance of raspberry,raisin molasses.flavor was like the best homemade raspberry preserves I have had got hints of molasses and citrus almost like a tangerine mouth feel was smooth and dry in a good way.This was a very good beer,it would be very good for a after dinner drink or even dessert. Did I say WOW

10-24-2004 02:13:17 | More by walleye
LuckySevens82

4.97/5  rDev +13%

6.3 oz nip bottle, 2004 vintage, courtesy of Gaisgeil...thanks so much for the opportunity.

Pours a murky reddish brown with a little bit of a slightly off-white head. Since the head is not really well formed, it's not that impressive, and retention is kind of a moot point (especially with the alcohol in this one)

Smell is cherry cordials, chocolate, raspberries, some caramel. Fruitiness is present, obviously, but falls well behind the chocolate and caramel characters of this beer. Somewhat vinious, but surprisingly the alcohol is not very prevalent in the aroma.

Very fruity and vinious up front (grapes, cherries, raspberries, figs?). As this reaches the middle of the palate there is a slight acidicness to it which is kind of refreshing. The as this one works it's way to the back of the palate, it's all chocolate (rich, dark chocolate). Surprisingly, there is not much if any really, alcohol heat, although as this one warms, the alcohol does come out a bit more. It's quite impressive that this flavor can be had in a beer. Very sweet, and almost nutty aftertaste as well.

Mouthfeel is perfect, it is not too slick and in fact there is much more carbonation to this one than I would have thought.

Honestly, I could drink this beer every day, well until I got cavities anyways. An amazing acomplishment that flavors like this can be had in a beer. Wow.

05-27-2005 01:05:12 | More by LuckySevens82
TastyTaste

4.97/5  rDev +13%

2004 bottle, served in a red wine glass at Spuyten Duyvil.
Appearance: Poured a murky purple brown color with no head.

Smell: Definitely raspberry in the nose, also a good amount of cocoa, alcohol also evident.

Taste: A chocolate and raspberry dessert, sweet and luxurious. I took about 45 minutes savoring every sip of this bottle. Just great, if dessert beer was a style, this would define it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, adds to how enjoyable this beer is.

Drinkability: It will be far too long before I get my hands on another one of these.

04-11-2006 19:24:09 | More by TastyTaste
DackAchan

2004 187ml bottle.

A- Great appearance, pours very dark brown with a strong overtone of ruby added to it. Little to no head, only deduction.

S- Cornocopia of smells. Raspberry and chocolate dominate with some hints of cherry. Smells sweet.

T- Taste is even more diverse than the smell. Tart with strong raspberry flavor. As it goes down, chocolate becomes more dominate. Finishes off with a bite of alcohol. Well rounded. Not to sweet, not too bitter, lives up to the reputation.

M- Light mouthfeel, with some heavy alcohol bite to it.

D- This is a great beer to sit down with and enjoy. It takes some time to truely enjoy this beer.

It is worth the hype and the price. Gotta get some 2007 and see what that is like.

01-14-2008 15:08:49 | More by DackAchan
Chadbrew

Delaware

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

What a huge thanks to Northertimber for the opportunity to try this one. This is my RedRider BB gun if you know what I mean...
Gorgeous caramel color and an apparent fullness to the body in this. Initially there is a burst of brownish head that flashes then falls away like fireworks. Even before pouring there is this chocolate/vanilla/raspberry all macerated in brandy aroma that involuntarily lifts the corners of your mouth in anticipation. The flavor starts very alcohol with huge chocolate covered cherry sweetness. There's raspberry cordials dripping in sweet brandy, what a treat. The body is superb... not syrupy like the rest of the beers composition would lead you to believe, it's actually full and lush and goes down velvety but finishes so clean.
I initially felt like the size of the bottle was a bit of a marketing rip-off but I realize that, for me anyways, this was perfect to thoroughly enjoy without biting off more than I could chew. I will truly be seeking this out for the holidays every year from here out.

12-26-2005 23:13:55 | More by Chadbrew
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Wow, this is definately a beer that lives up to hype. Attractively packaged in a 6.3 oz bottle, 2004 Vintage, I like the wax. Pours a thick brown/red, orange edges, medium off white head forms, goes pretty fast but leaves a ring around the glass, some spots of lace. Smell is raspberries, toasted bread, chocolate, tons of caramel/toffee, amazing smell. Taste is sweet/then tart raspberries up front, toast, chocolate roast/chocolate cake middle and finish, smooth caramel and toffee aftertaste, with some dates and figs, little bit of vinous character. Mouthfeel is full bodied with low carbonation, some nice alcohol warmth, although the 13.5% is no where to be found, alcohol is disguised as well as any other beer I've had. Superb beer, definately seek out. Thanks for the find DrJay!!

01-12-2006 20:52:45 | More by Viggo
UnionMade

Colorado

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

2004 edition, in a teeny green glass bottle complete with red wax over the cap, provided very generously by Mikeys01. What a treat!!!

Pours a deep, deep garnet, capped with a modest, off-white head that quickly dies away. It doesn't want to come back, either. The aroma is all decadence. Heaps of raspberry syrup, drizzled over fudge, with a good deal of caramel thrown in for good measure. Absolutely stunning. It smells like a dessert, and tastes like one, too. The flavor is more akin to a decadent raspberry chocolate cake than a beer. Gooey raspberry syrup everywhere, with a luscious chocolatey maltiness. Sweet all the way through, liqueur like, but not cloying. The raspberry adds a bit of tartness to the finish, masterfully balancing the molten caramel and fudge sweetness. I'm having a hard time grasping this as a beer. I'd take this instead of dessert at any restaurant. Not a lick of alcohol, it's entirely hidden. Massive body, with modest carbonation. This is so rich, and yet easy going. Some nuances of dark, ripe fruit, kinda prune-ish, some toffee and molasses, a touch of grass, with a vague cookie yeast quality. It all just adds to the enjoyment. The best fruit beer ever.
Easily the most dessert-like beer I've ever had. I have to believe they put chocolate in this, as well as raspberry, because the flavor is too much like chocolate syrup to just be the malt. Absolutely stunning. Very substantial, but I could easily drink another bottle and love every sip.

04-15-2006 10:08:54 | More by UnionMade
dirtylou

Washington

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

6.3oz single, obtained a year or so ago in a trade, 2004 version. opened in celebration of the 2006-2007 NFC CHAMPION CHICAGO BEARS!!!!

appearance: green bottle, maroon wax dripping down off the cap...pours into a snifter a dark maroon-mahogany color, tan cream head with decent lacing

smell: one whiff and its an automatic 5...huge raspberr-cherry burst hits you square in the nose, boozy cognac, super complex blend of fruit/booze/chocolate/caramel. very aromatic and very sweet....the joys of the imminent first sip become a little overwhelming

taste: wonderful complexion...chocolate covered raspberry, chocolate covered cherry, chocolate covered caramel, cognac-booze, sweet malt structure, syrupy and coating with a light tartness...fig/raisin and light brown sugar. This beer is an absolute treat, SEND ME MORE

mouthfeel: syrupy and coating, big and boozy, sweet and tart. Almost too good to swallow (thats what she said???)

drinkability: phenomenal

01-22-2007 00:51:52 | More by dirtylou
amkpublishing

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Was bestowed an advanced taste of this magnificent beer at the November meeting of the Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers (KGB) Homebrew Club.

Smooth, creamy and delicious are just some of the adjectives that describe this beer. the only knock is it is still a tiny bit cloudy but I can overlook that as this was an advanced taste of the December 21st scheduled release.

The Kuhnhenn Brothers have outdone themselves yet again. It is great to see this award winning brew back in the available column.

Serving type: growler

11-14-2007 17:52:33 | More by amkpublishing
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 6.3oz. bottle with dark red wax around the cap. As I pour this beer I am shocked by the amount of head this beer has, about one finger of even tan head that quickly disapates to just a skim. Body is a blackish red that has hints of brown on the edges when held to light. The nose on this beer is an experience in itself. Tones of chocolate raspberry bon bons, fresh soft toffee and maple poured over Belgian waffles, wow this is amazing. Now to taste. Enters the mouth rich and warming with bold balance of raspberry and coco. An even toffee like richness carries the body of this beer throughout the palate. This beer is like eating the well made masterpiece of a skilled chocolatier. The alchol is listed at 13.5% but it is hard to believe based on how well it is hidden. Mouthfeel is rich and desert like satisfying. This is pure beer drinking heaven even if it is a little sweet for sum, I love it. Easily a top ten favorite of mine.

03-02-2008 18:07:52 | More by SPLITGRIN
Goliath

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a murky brown color with nearly no head on the pour.

The aroma is nice. Big doses of caramel and chocolate on the nose with some fruity and flowery esters running around. A decent shot of alcohol also comes through.

The taste is phenomenal! The raspberry flavor is ridiculously good. A good bit of chocolate and caramel come through as well. It's like a Raspberry truffle. There is a bit of alcohol in there, but it's tamed. I don't konw what else to say, except that I'm nearly speechless.

Mouthfeel is pushing full bodied and very lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is suprisingly high. The high alcohol content is not noticeable, and the flavors are incredible making for an awesome drinking experience. A 6.3 oz sipper, that's for sure!

01-09-2009 02:04:00 | More by Goliath
rye726

Colorado

Vintage '07.

Pours a deep mahogany with a thin tan head.

Nose has fresh raspberries, chocolate, caramel, toffee, cognac and port wine.

Taste has more wild raspberries up front and through the finish along with bready malts, caramelized candies, cocoa, sherry and cabernet grapes.

Silky smooth body is full and lush, but a tart raspberry presence keeps it crisp. A delicate carbonation compliments this beer perfectly. Nice finish.

Simply outstanding. Another near perfect brew from Kuhnhenn.

04-20-2010 00:16:25 | More by rye726