2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 801 | Reviews: 410 | Show All Ratings:
sleepingbear

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired a 187ml wax dipped 2004 bottle from a friend. (Thanks Michael!)

I had seen this beer's high ratings and had some very high expectations for it. It was almost impossible for it to have lived up to it’s legend.

Then I smelled it.
The scent was magnificent with a rich malty aroma with a lingering red fruit nose.
The first sip is like a warm, frothy dark chocolate bitters and raspberry crème.
Damn!

This is raspberry chocolate cake in a bottle. I imagine drinking these little 187ml bottles on a hard xcountry ski run. On a stop at a Lake Michigan plateau, cold clean air- and a bottle of raspberry chocolate cake. I'm going to buy as much of this as I can find.
I am hooked.

11-14-2006 06:02:52 | More by sleepingbear
Photo of

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 Vintage. This is my second try, as the first bottle was bad. This one may be getting close to turning, but I chose to review it as a warning for others holding the 2004 vintage -- it may not be aging that well.

Hazy, deep burgundy color. Some light penetration, mostly at the edges. No head, no lacing, and, surprisingly, no legs.

Smell is very promising -- chocolate, honey/caramel, and raspberries as well as other dark fruits, such as figs and raisins. Faint hint of vinegar.

Taste departs a bit from smell. Quite tart, mainly the raspberry flavor, but that hint of vinegar comes back as well. Much more tart than sweet, overall. Touch of chocolate, bittersweet. Hint of caramel/toffee/butter.

Medium + body. No carbonation. A bit dry. Very silky/smooth texture.

This bottle was a big improvement over the first one I tried, but still not really my thing. For a fruity beer, this is very well done. For me at least, the smell led me to expect much more from the taste.

09-06-2007 13:30:13 | More by
SQNfan

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%

This poured a dirty red to brown in color. The nose showed off lots of chocolate dipped raspberries. This is simillar in the medium-bodied palate that had nice richness. While this was an enjoyable beer, I do not quite get all the fuss. It was well-balanced yet fairly simple.

01-04-2009 17:59:00 | More by SQNfan
DavoleBomb

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a flute. Big thanks to OHLRangers for this treat. 2007 vintage.

3.5 A: Opaque deep reddish purple color. No head, but signs of carbonation exist. A bit of particulate junk falls to the bottom.

4.5 S: Strong raspberry as in a reduced raspberry puree. Almost like some sort of liquour, but without the super high alcohol. Surprisingly chocolatey as well. I guess maybe like a highly fruited raspberry chocolate cake. Really nice.

3.5 T: Taste isn't nearly as good as the nose. Tartness from the raspberry is there, but there isn't a ton of raspberry taste (unlike NG RT). Still pretty chocolatety, but not really that sweet, which is disappointing. I was hoping for something really sweet and fruity. A bit too much roasty bitterness as well. Alcohol is well hidden like in most Kuhnhenn brews. While this isn't bad, it doesn't live up to expectations.

3.5 M: Only a thickish medium body. I was hoping for more. Just a touch of carbonation, this would be better with more. Not as creamy of smooth as I'd like either.

3.5 D: Again, this isn't bad, but I was hoping for something really sweet and fruity, like a port or something. The way it is (this vintage anyway) isn't the way I would have envisioned a beer of this nature coming out. I'd love the try the 2004, but I doubt I ever will.

11-12-2010 01:03:23 | More by DavoleBomb
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for the bottle!

2007 Vintage

Pours a dark raspberry brown with a thin ring of off-white foam. No lacing.

Juicy raspberries and currants on the nose, followed by rich chocolate and caramel. Sweet candy and chocolate. Almost cake-like. Great dessert nose.

The flavor really brings the raspberry fruit flavor to the front of everything, whereas in the nose it was more balanced. Less chocolate and caramel than the aroma, but more dark chocolate. Touch of astringency. Quite fruity with a hint of alcohol. After smelling the nose on this beer, the flavor seems somewhat lacking. Good, but not great.

Mouthfeel is substantial, yet feels bland. Light carbonation, but adequate. Feels like it could use more of something to open up the flavor.

Drinkability is above average. I loved the nose, but the rest of the beer didn't really live up to the hype. It was fun to try, but I wouldn't seek out another.

02-06-2011 16:01:35 | More by sisuspeed
trumick

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a deep red-brown with no head and no lacing.

Scent is ok with raspberry initially coverd with brown sugar carmelized raisins and bread pudding. It all comes together to form a scent alongside the alcohol.

Taste is huge and bready with a red raspberry center then alcohol then raspberry again to finish it all off, but the alcohol is hidden in there somewhere. The carmel flavor holds on for quite a while. At 13.5 the alcohol really doesn't stand out all that much.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I would expect from the taste and the smell, smooth but still on the medium side. The carbination seemed just about right.

Drinkability is easy to define, good. I am somewhat impressed with the hiding of the alcohol.

Note: This beer was 12.59 for 6.3 oz. I liked it ok, but at that price sadly, I won't be having another.

01-17-2006 00:31:31 | More by trumick
Dubbercody

Washington

2004 Bottle

Nice pretty beer that smells fantastic, but is very much a cordial. Treat is that way and you'll be happy, otherwise, your out of luck.

Impressive beer but not something I would drink when I would go to drink a beer. It's a drink in a small glass share with friends after dinner drink.

I don't know if I would go out of my way to find this again, but it was one of those famous beers that 'everyone' seems to think should be tried. So I did, and while I didn't dislike it, it's not my cup of tea...or beer.

01-22-2007 03:00:47 | More by Dubbercody
tarheels86

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Miniature bottles courtesy of my boys SpencerDB, CaptainCougar, anyone else? So we tried 2004 and 2007. The pour is murky, muddy brown with low carbonation. Let me just say that this was not impressive whatsoever. Okay- it’s a slightly raspberry tangy super malt forward barleywine. I mean that is what this is. There is a lot of milk chocolate, raspberry chocolate, and it is just full of toffee. I mean it’s good but nothing that blew me out of the water. And that was the ’04. The ’07 literally tasted like broccoli. So- this is one that I’ll have to revisit. For now- meh. 7/4/6/3/12=3.2

Another 2007 bottle. Pours muddy, reddish brown and completely flat. Excellent aroma that is full of toffee, creme brulee, caramel, chocolate covered strawberries. Taste is tart, light, more raspberry character than I remember. Still thin bodied. 9/4/7/3/13=3.6

10-02-2012 15:38:58 | More by tarheels86
DIM

3.63/5  rDev -17.5%

a: This was a hazy, dark, murky, brown color with some amber orange highlights. Pours with a thin, short lived, light tan head.

s: Hmmm... not what I expected here at all. Smells like raspberry sorbet and, strangely, grape soda/cough syrup. Perhaps also some chocolate root beer? I'm intrigued.

t: Lots of raspberries here, certainly, but I also taste grapes as well. This has a heavy, dense quality to it. There is some musty, semi-sweet maltiness here as well. The finish is tart, a bit dry, and has a very very faint medicinal quality to it.

m: Thick to the point of being syrupy and quite still.

d: Thanks to TheBlackMallard for this unique oppurtunity. This to me tastes more like a raspberry liqueur than a raspberry beer. Tasty and interesting, this just wasn't for me. Yet another example of how audaciously creative American brewers can be. Keep 'em coming!

06-08-2008 13:02:44 | More by DIM
beerwolf77

3.63/5  rDev -17.5%

I believe thanks goes to randalld for this one. It's been in the cellar so long I simply can't remember. Bottle shared with another like minded BA.

2007 vintage

A: Dark plum red brown. No head, no lace. I certainly wasn't expecting any. Looks like melted chocolate syrup.

S: Wow! Super sweet raspberries and chocolate. I didn't realize there would be this much chocolate. That's pretty much all I can say. Just diabetically sweet syrup. No heat so that's a plus.

T: Pretty much more of the same. Super sweet chocolate and raspberries. That's it. This song is two notes. No room for anything else. Just a touch of heat. I suppose thats what three plus years will do.

M: Thick chewy body. Devoid of all carbonation.

D: Overall I guess I didn't know what to expect. I assumed it would be more raspberry and not as sweet. I'm actually glad I shared this. More than 3-4 ounces would have been way too much. Glad I had the chance to try it.

01-26-2011 00:52:25 | More by beerwolf77
waltonc

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev -18.2%

Picked this up in a trade thanks to MasterSki.

A: Blah looking brownish red color with virtually no head.
S: I guess this is raspberries that I'm smelling, but it's a little off, and off-putting. Sweet toffee-like tones in here too. Very pungent.
T: Raspberry, caramel, toffee. Very sweet.
M: Pretty thick body, very little carbonation.
D: Low. As the bottle notes, this is a dessert beer.

02-08-2009 05:42:48 | More by waltonc
Andreji

Colombia

3.6/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mmmm. so this BA classic was one of the tried out beers at the RnH this afternoon.

Served in a tiny chalice sort-of cup, the tap pour was essentially headless and served to the very limit. Opaque and rather purplish black.

Smell may be the most generous bit of it. very frutti di bosco throughout, and it doesnt take a full nose dive to point it out. sweet to slightly astringent and if anything, strong.

Taste wise, however, this was disappointing. the overall feel is juicy- as in, the sweezed produce of the fruit. however, it is abundant, if not artificial. rather feels like a concentrate. plus the feel is fairly thin, and seemingly refreshing if not for how alcoholey and sugary it is.

Overall this is certainly not my top of the class. The beer may well not be bad but it does give off an artificial feel to it. Not my pint of beer.

05-01-2011 03:11:44 | More by Andreji
TurdFurgison

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured from tiny bottle dated 2004. Bought directly from the brewery in Warren, MI.

Color is deep burgandy, almost no head on top. Smells like raspberry mostly.

Taste is hard to describe. The raspberry juice flavor is there, but the background beer taste is difficult... I didn't like it all that much. But my wife loved it so it's hard to rate. Tasted like raspberry and dark chocolate with some alcohol mixed in. Some malt flavor but no hops.

Try it once if you must. I only tried it because it was so highly rated on BA.

01-02-2006 14:08:44 | More by TurdFurgison
bultrey

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%

Split a bottle of this with slander and schoolteacher at Spuyten Duyvil. Yes, we each had a serving the size of a brandy pour, which is appropriate for this beer. Didn't take notes, but didn't need to. Taste it once, and you remember it forever. Glowing deep red, no head... OK maybe a little head. Smells like a fresh raspberry harvest, as if you were stomping around in a vat of raspberries and the aroma were permeating your senses. Tastes like a red velvet raspberry cake with chocolate truffles, or perhaps like one of those Jacques Torres chocolates filled with raspberry puree. In fact, put this inside of chocolates, and they'd sell like hotcakes, I bet. I found the taste to be a bit too much like a raspberry cordial, and not enough like a beer, but unique nonetheless. The mouthfeel is quite remarkable -- "pillowy" is the first word that came to mind. Just so soft in the mouth, almost makes you think you're eating a piece of cake. An after-dinner sipper to be sure, not drinkable by any means. If you had any more than the small bottle of this at a sitting, I predict a big headache for you. I would love to be able to revisit this one in, say, about 10 years.

01-10-2006 19:39:35 | More by bultrey
LilBeerDoctor

3.48/5  rDev -20.9%

2007 bottle thanks to my Secret Santa. Pours brown with just a ring of white head. Aroma is like a raspberry filled brownie with some boozy notes too. Flavor of medicinal raspberry with a chocolatey finish. Also some prunes and raisins. Top fruit beer? Not for me.

08-28-2009 20:35:40 | More by LilBeerDoctor
alcstradamus

Washington

3.43/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Acquired in a trade with hoppymeal, arrived earlier today and chilled for a few hours before consumption.

Poured dark with a red hue, only a sliver of head even using an extremely hard pour. Definitely a product of the high ABV. Smell was booze dominated, with faint (real) raspberries in the background. Taste was similar, very booze dominated with some raspberry, caramel, and chocolate. Thick and sweet, this would probably benefit with a few more years under its belt to calm down the alcohol some more. It was a vintage 2007, but based on my small bottle I would probably let the next one have at least 4 years under its belt before I cracked it open. I did enjoy this beer, but not nearly as much as others seem to.

07-25-2009 03:54:24 | More by alcstradamus
brdc

3.4/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Thanks hoppymeal for this one. The very small capped bottle was poured into a tulip.

It is a reddish tinted brown, with little to no head. Aroma is mostly alcohol and raspberries, with some sweetish malts underneath it, but not a lot more I could tell.
Medium bodied, and hot. Raspberries abound, but the alcohol is still the predominant taste. Not puckering or tart, just somewhat fruity.
I have to give this one more shot, perhaps a bit colder than I had this one, but as it stands, it was the biggest disappointment I had so far from the top 100 list. Good, but just good. Not worth the price tag.

05-18-2008 17:51:50 | More by brdc
BarrytheBear

3.4/5  rDev -22.7%

2007 nip bottle courtesy of Matt. I have been saving this for the right moment and opening night of the NFL and the eve of my first full solo day as a SAHD seem to be just that moment. Thanks Matt for the opportunity!

Into a champagne flute pours a deep and slightly murky ruby red with shades of dark purple. Nary a bubble is seen when backlit and no indication of head shows upon the surface.

Huge seedy jammy raspberries on the nose. Hints of blueberries and blackberries as well. Medley of sticky fruits melds with rich melted milk chocolate and brown sugar. The immediate whiff of alchol that erupted from the bottle upon opening seems to have abated after sitting a few minutes. In fact, there's little indication of the immensity of this beer.

Raspberry is sweet and tart up front and syrupy. As soon as it hits the middle of the tongue, the massive tootsie roll wall wraps around the fruit and carries it like a wave to the finish. Chocolate and an odd, slightly rotten food taste show on the finish.

Carbonation is, eh, low. Body is very syrupy.

I enjoyed this less as I got deeper into the bottle. Not so much for the sweetness, but for the fairly gross off flavor that pops out at the finish. While unique and interesting, I'm not sure I would go out of my way for this given what it might take to land it. I'd recommend splitting your bottle and hoping that this beer hasn't somehow taken a downturn after five years. An interesting try, but likely not worth the effort.

09-06-2012 01:21:38 | More by BarrytheBear
kkipple

South Carolina

3.38/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to my buds at DLD 08, I finally get to try this rarity! Thanks, buds!

*2007 vintage, 11.9% listed abv

Pours from a puny 6.3oz bottle into my goblet. I really really wanted the phat lookin' bottle in the profile picture, but alas! Was not to be. They're using these diminutive green bottles now, complete with HP printer labels and red wax seal. Cute. Oh yeah, the beer is nearly flat, dingy red, and the head eventually fades to nothing.

Smells a bit... oxidized? Hmm. Not too auspicious. After that, fruit-must, dirty earth, chocolate, tootsie rolls and yes, raspberries. I was surprised by the chocolate character here, and was expecting more fruit... the booze, ah yes, comes through nicely. It's all pretty smoothly blended at 55 degrees.

My, what have we here? Tart raspberries and cocoa abound, but I suppose I was expecting more sweetness... it's boozy and earthy and fairly aggressive. This little bottle packs a wallop. Maybe it's because I've recently had Raspberry Tart, but this is a bit of a letdown... the booze gets in the way of the flavor and the chocolate comes on too strong. Hm.

Mouthfeel is dry with mid-low carbonation and finishes earthy berries and tart with a smack of alcohol. I hate to say it, but the aftertaste was not entirely pleasant. Maybe the recipe has changed over the years?

I have to admit that this was a letdown. I was hoping for a highly sweet, delicious dessert beer and instead got assaulted with an alcoholic chocolate-tart thing with raspberries that kicked me around as I tried to get up. I'll try it again, but please don't crucify me for the low score... please? Now where did I put that DFH Fort?

05-19-2008 00:51:29 | More by kkipple
TMoney2591

3.38/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Served in a tumbler.

It's taken a while, but I;m finally getting a crack at this beast. It pours a mostly clear ruby topped by a half-finger at most of off-white foam. The nose comprises deep raspberry jam, a twinge of what seems like vanilla bean in the background, and a slight sense of vinyl. The taste brings in more of the same, with the raspberries shining, some mild booze creeping in, and the vinyl coming through as a stronger pall of plastic. This plastic-ness doesn't fade. The body is a light hefty, with a relatively light carbonation and a thickly fluid feel. Overall, a nice enough fruited eisbock, but that plastic character is in no way endearing and kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth (in both manners).

09-28-2013 03:14:26 | More by TMoney2591
thebigredone

3.35/5  rDev -23.9%

2012 Vintage

Thanks to Chris for sharing this bottle, I was really looking forward to giving it a try.

Pours a dark translucent red, little to no head.

Smell is of raspberries (duh) and plastic. Not very appealing.

The raspberries definitely prevail in the taste, and a slight chocolatey flavor comes through as well. A bit sweet, and very hot. The flavors are really very muddled, I was expecting a much purer raspberry taste.

This feels very thick on the tongue, but is also extremely hot and tingles the tongue as you savor. Never felt such a hot beer on the tongue before.

Overall, this beer was a miss for me. I'm very glad I was able to try it, as I now know that it is absolutely not worth the hunt or the price tag.

2007 Vintage

Thanks again to Chris for sharing the 2007 bottle.

Similar characteristics to the 2012, except the heat was gone. Less raspberry and more chocolate flavor. I prefered this to the 2012, but it is still not a beer I particularly enjoy.

07-15-2013 19:48:27 | More by thebigredone
Oxymoron

Colorado

3.33/5  rDev -24.3%

A beer I have been trying to get for some time. 07 vintage. A very small bottle, pours a mostly cloudy brown-red color. A limited head and not much retention or lacing through the tasting. Some minimum sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

The nose has more of the eisbock notes with some underlining of the raspberry notes. To start there is a strong alcohol and fusel notes that come out strong. Granted it is a eisbock, it is still pretty strong. Some nice kettle caramel notes brings a rich malty note. A touch of roast that is a bit odd. Some yeasty note but minimum. The raspberry is limited with some hints of fruit but non-distinct.

The taste is similar to the nose. More of a malty presence and limited rasp notes. More of a fusel flavor with some alcohol notes as well. Some yeast notes, my guess is that it was fermented to high. The kettle caramel is there but limited by the harsh alcohol. The raspberry comes out more versus the nose, but brings out more of an astringent kick more than a sweeter note. Would have liked more of a sweetness versus the harsher tart notes. Some phenolics, figs and a hint of astringency, though not as strong on what the nose indicated. Some bready notes as well.

The body is big with some stickiness, but the fusels are a deterrent for this beer. I think this would age nicely but overall there are some off notes that at this time are too much of a distraction.

A big thanks to goryshkewyc for the trade.

12-28-2008 18:30:13 | More by Oxymoron
emerge077

3.33/5  rDev -24.3%

2007 vintage, served in a tapered tasting glass.
This is the 2nd bottle of this i've tried, had this vintage before a couple years ago. My opinion of this beer hasn't changed, the experience was virtually the same as the first time.

Pours a murky brown, viscous body, some stray trails of carbonation struggle to reach the surface around the edges. Little to no foam, though a string of bubbles cling to one side when first poured that quickly fade due to the high alcohol.

Smells tooth-meltingly sweet, like liquid candy. Mellow raspberry and tootsie rolls. Some light oxidation, and vague muddled notes of toffee or orange at room temperature.

Raspberry tootsie pop flavor, fairly one-dimensional. Once you taste it, that's all you can taste. No complexity or nuance. Candy sweet, syrupy, rich. Low carbonation, cordial-like. So sweet you almost don't notice the booze. Honestly i'd drink straight Chambord over this, it's basically the same thing minus the tootsie roll flavor.

Thanks to Eric for sharing this one!

12-20-2011 15:03:12 | More by emerge077
jmarsh123

Indiana

2007 nip bottle

Pours murky red/brown with some sediment. No head or lacing.

Smells like dessert. Lots of raspberry puree along with a hefty dose of caramel.

Holy hell this is sweet. Lots of intense raspberry flavor with a strong caramel presence. Not a ton of complexity in this.

Lightly carbonated, but it is present unlike most other Kuhnhenn beers and for this style and sweetness, it's not off. Very thick and syrupy.

Eh perfect serving size for this as it is way too sweet to drink large quantities of. Kind of a weird beer to my palate. Not very complex and just sort of average.

08-17-2012 18:47:35 | More by jmarsh123
BearsOnAcid

3.3/5  rDev -25%

Dark maroon color. Not really any carbonation. The aroma is packed with vanilla and raspberries. Strong alcohol. It's like a Nature Valley fruit and nut granola bar. The taste is like drinking cherry vanilla coke. Sweet but not as cloying as other their other beers. The raspberries don't quite come out as raspberries. It's more of a cherry flavor. Maybe there's too much vanilla getting in the way.

10-06-2010 18:02:08 | More by BearsOnAcid