Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,232
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -65.8%

2007 vintage.

I certainly never wanted to contribute the lowest score to this beer. It pains me that I have to, since I had such high expectations for it. But I have to be honest as well.

A- nothing wrong here, a dark red liquid, nothing special.

S- Definitely not what I expected here. I didn't necessarily think it would be ALL raspberry, but this smell just threw me for a loop. It was interesting yet weird. Smelt like some really deep caramel, chocolate, and fruit all mingling together into a really weird combo. It kept making me want to smell it actually, but I didn't really enjoy it.

T- This was perhaps the worst tasting beer I've ever had. If I didn't know it was a raspberry beer I might not have even picked it out in the flavor. I was expecting this to pack a raspberry punch at least on par, if not exceeding New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. Huge letdown here. But I know they were trying to go for a whole dessert sorta thing here with chocolate, caramel, and raspberry flavors. The taste was so weird and unusual that I can't even describe it. And I don't want to taste it anymore to try and describe it.

D- Couldn't even finish this. Drain pour for both me and my friend. Sad, because I've been wanting to try this for so long, seeing as how so many people like it, how could it be bad? Well I guess now this is the second lesson I've learned in that regard, the first being Dark Lord.

MiScusi, May 23, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -65.8%

kevflaherty, Dec 17, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -60.1%

hornsup, Aug 27, 2013

ThatsThatDude, Jan 06, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -53.3%

This was shared by a generous BA on 02.12.2011. After tasting a few beers, I went home and jotted down notes for this one beer, because it was so memorable. 2007 nip bottle, I believe, split three ways.

Pours a dirty, mud brown with just the smallest wisps of head.

Raspberry puree, but not as straightforwardly so as I expected. Instead it's buried beneath a layer of caramel maltiness. A sweet tootsie roll chocolate. Okay - now imagine that all of this is rotting in your garbage disposal. Divide by two. There. That's the smell.

Raspberry cough syrup, rotting dark fruit, molasses, caramel malts, and lots of cocoa. Sweet, as expected, but certainly not cloying because of a certain earthy bitterness. It's a little oxidized, which does terrible things to the raspberry character (adding, e.g., soy sauce). Not what I expected.

Medium-low carbonation, with a medium to medium-light body. Unpleasant finish. Hides its alcohol well enough after 3-4 years.

Well, the 6.3 ounces were split three ways, so I think I'm officially a ticker. I finished my sample, but this was not a sweet, syrupy raspberry dessert beer, as expected, but tasted of spoiled fruit and spent grains. Bizarre, I have to wonder if this is an off bottle (which wouldn't surprise me given Kuhnhenn's track record).

Verecund, Feb 15, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -51%

I received this brew from DrJay many moons ago in a trade. This will officially be my first brew from Kuhnhenn. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip. 2004 vintage.

*NOTE: My score is temporary until I get a newer bottle of this to compare. I either A) Got a bad bottle B) Got a bottle past its prime or C) Just don't care much for this beer.

Appearance- Pours a murky dark brown with zero head, zero cap and collar and no lacing.
Smell- Holy intense! Plenty of raspberries to start things off but something tells me that they've faded a bit over the years. The intense caramel is really what seems to jump out of the glass and is definitely the star of the show. Chocolate is semi noticeable but not to the extent of the caramel. Interesting nose to say the least.
Taste- Starts with a super sweet burnt caramel like taste that is somewhat chocolaty. There is a strange bitterness that is rather intense at first and lingers into the aftertaste. Since I get little, if any, raspberries I'm assuming that the weird bitterness is what's left of them. Very astringent as well with a semi chocolate aftertaste and super hot finish.
Mouthfeel- Fairly thin with zero carbonation and a bit of warming on the way down.
Drinkability- Well, needless to say the drinkability is lacking since I couldn't finish the bottle. I know this beer is way better than what I got to try and I'm guessing it's just past it's prime. New score to come with a newer bottle. Big thanks again to Jay though for his generocity!

younger35, Sep 04, 2008

oregone, Jan 22, 2013

spry, Apr 23, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -35.1%

Green bottle dipped in red wax. Label states vintage 2004
Served into a flute glass.

Much anticipated brew after reading the many high praises this eisbock has received. Fortunately, its readily available living here in Michigan.

Appearance: Awesome deep maroon color, reminds me of a red wine. Not much carbonation, with no head or lacing. A slight oily texture, most likely due to the high alcohol content.

Smell: WOW!!! Very different, very strong combination of rasberries,cherries, and dark chocolate. Alcohol is completely hidden in the smell.

Taste: O.K., this is not my type of brew. Strong taste of dark chocolate, combined with fruits and berries. It reminded me of bad tasting chocolate covered cherries.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth feel, no alcohol burn, very easy too drink.

Drinkability:Alcohol is completety hidden and is easy too drink. Very smooth. A great sipper!!!

I must admit I was disappointed with this eisbock, its just not my thing. I will try again at a later date, maybe it will hit me different. But at $8.33 for 6.3oz. its hard for me to purchase this again.

BigDaddyWil, Dec 27, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -33.3%

First chance at tasting one of Kuhnhenn's beverages. No head at all, clear reddish/purple color; pretty uninteresting to look at it. Smells like a concentrated version of Hershey's Raspberry Syrup, in a good way; there's a hint of booze. Mouthfeel is very thick. Rasperries dominate the flavor but with more of a medicinal quality, a heavy cough syrup flavor lingers for several minutes.

This wasn't underwhelming, it was unpleasant. Would not be interested in revisiting.

TheCrowsNest, Jun 16, 2013

2004 vintage. Cute bottle, nicely waxed seal. Thanks to BadBeer for the trade.

Pours an oily and thick red-brown with blackberry highlights. Absolutely zero head or carbonation.

Aroma is pungent and complicated. A full range of berries and dark fruit is present. Figs, plums, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, boysenberries, huckleberries, etc… Quite woody as well with some chocolate and caramel. Unfortunately each of these aromas is quite rotten and completely booze soaked. The alcohol is so strong as to distract and detract form the aromatic experience.

Flavor is bold, full and ridiculously boozey. This is one of the most boozy beers I’ve had for sure. There are plenty of rich dark flavors but it is difficult to focus on them individually as an overriding, connective alcohol presence prohibits careful examination. Raspberry flavor is not as strong as I expected. In fact, it’s pretty weak. Most of the flavor derived from a malty caramel/mocha – rotten plum/molasses booziness. I don’t find it particularly pleasant.

Mouthfeel is much more akin to a syrupy after dinner liquor then a beer. There is no carbonation, but that is to be expected in this aged ABV bomb but further then that, there is very little here to set it apart from the sweet, strong, and syrupy qualities associated with a fruit liquor. It is certainly full bodied, hot, and exceedingly loaded with many flavors but it just doesn’t work for me.

Not very drinkable unless you are in to sweet, syrupy after dinner liquors. I am not.

DaPeculierDane, Aug 10, 2007

pest, Nov 17, 2011

drummermattie02, Jul 10, 2014

gueuzegossage, Jul 18, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -28.7%

A damned expensive beer. I never thought i'd pay nearly 10 bucks for a 6.3 oz bottle of beer. Poured out to an amber red / raspberry color with very low carbonation. No lace noted around the glass. About a 1/5 of an inch head was present for most of the glass, but got smaller toward the end, leaving only a thin layer behind. Odors of raspberries and caramel are very strong, with notes of cocoa and chocolate. Taste was very wine like. Very strong flavors of berry and a very powerful sweetness on the palate. The 13.00 ABV hides well behind the complex flavors that this brew displays. Finished a bit on the sour/alcohol side, but still very berry. Very much a sipper, like a bourbon or scotch. A unique experience, but not one I think i'll seek out again on a regular basis. I'm sure many will give me hell over the review, but quite simply, I wasn't amazed. Didn't do all that much for me. I've tried it, now what's next... Nonetheless, a well crafted brew. Worth a try.

UPDATE:

Had another tonight (09/27/2005)... This stuff is way overpriced. I cannot believe I just drank 9 dollars. It's decent, but more like a wine or liquor than a beer. I did note that the flavor improves at a temprature closer to 50 degrees or so. Still, not a bad beer, but I must say I think it's possibly overrated, and definitly overpriced. Good thing "Value" isn't a category for scoring, as this beer would not earn high scores at all.

Frozensoul327, Aug 26, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -28.2%

Rare tasting.

Dark muddy brown with reddish highlights.
Delicious raspberry aroma with woodsy notes.
Lovely raspberry fruit up front, tart and complex. The bitterness that follows, I am sorry, is just not pleasant to me. Too much like extract of raspberry seeds. The alcohol is quite apparent and detracts from the drinkability further. Despite the vaunted status of this beer, there are other fruit beers, other raspberry beers, that I prefer. This would probably be good with chocolate cake.

kenito799, Nov 25, 2010