Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,255
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,038 | Reviews: 442

1.12/5  rDev -74.5%

1.5/5  rDev -65.8%

1.56/5  rDev -64.5%

2007 vintage.

I certainly never wanted to contribute the lowest score to this beer. It pains me that I have to, since I had such high expectations for it. But I have to be honest as well.

A- nothing wrong here, a dark red liquid, nothing special.

S- Definitely not what I expected here. I didn't necessarily think it would be ALL raspberry, but this smell just threw me for a loop. It was interesting yet weird. Smelt like some really deep caramel, chocolate, and fruit all mingling together into a really weird combo. It kept making me want to smell it actually, but I didn't really enjoy it.

T- This was perhaps the worst tasting beer I've ever had. If I didn't know it was a raspberry beer I might not have even picked it out in the flavor. I was expecting this to pack a raspberry punch at least on par, if not exceeding New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. Huge letdown here. But I know they were trying to go for a whole dessert sorta thing here with chocolate, caramel, and raspberry flavors. The taste was so weird and unusual that I can't even describe it. And I don't want to taste it anymore to try and describe it.

D- Couldn't even finish this. Drain pour for both me and my friend. Sad, because I've been wanting to try this for so long, seeing as how so many people like it, how could it be bad? Well I guess now this is the second lesson I've learned in that regard, the first being Dark Lord.

1.75/5  rDev -60.1%

2.05/5  rDev -53.3%

This was shared by a generous BA on 02.12.2011. After tasting a few beers, I went home and jotted down notes for this one beer, because it was so memorable. 2007 nip bottle, I believe, split three ways.

Pours a dirty, mud brown with just the smallest wisps of head.

Raspberry puree, but not as straightforwardly so as I expected. Instead it's buried beneath a layer of caramel maltiness. A sweet tootsie roll chocolate. Okay - now imagine that all of this is rotting in your garbage disposal. Divide by two. There. That's the smell.

Raspberry cough syrup, rotting dark fruit, molasses, caramel malts, and lots of cocoa. Sweet, as expected, but certainly not cloying because of a certain earthy bitterness. It's a little oxidized, which does terrible things to the raspberry character (adding, e.g., soy sauce). Not what I expected.

Medium-low carbonation, with a medium to medium-light body. Unpleasant finish. Hides its alcohol well enough after 3-4 years.

Well, the 6.3 ounces were split three ways, so I think I'm officially a ticker. I finished my sample, but this was not a sweet, syrupy raspberry dessert beer, as expected, but tasted of spoiled fruit and spent grains. Bizarre, I have to wonder if this is an off bottle (which wouldn't surprise me given Kuhnhenn's track record).

2.21/5  rDev -49.7%

I received this brew from DrJay many moons ago in a trade. This will officially be my first brew from Kuhnhenn. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip. 2004 vintage.

*NOTE: My score is temporary until I get a newer bottle of this to compare. I either A) Got a bad bottle B) Got a bottle past its prime or C) Just don't care much for this beer.

Appearance- Pours a murky dark brown with zero head, zero cap and collar and no lacing.
Smell- Holy intense! Plenty of raspberries to start things off but something tells me that they've faded a bit over the years. The intense caramel is really what seems to jump out of the glass and is definitely the star of the show. Chocolate is semi noticeable but not to the extent of the caramel. Interesting nose to say the least.
Taste- Starts with a super sweet burnt caramel like taste that is somewhat chocolaty. There is a strange bitterness that is rather intense at first and lingers into the aftertaste. Since I get little, if any, raspberries I'm assuming that the weird bitterness is what's left of them. Very astringent as well with a semi chocolate aftertaste and super hot finish.
Mouthfeel- Fairly thin with zero carbonation and a bit of warming on the way down.
Drinkability- Well, needless to say the drinkability is lacking since I couldn't finish the bottle. I know this beer is way better than what I got to try and I'm guessing it's just past it's prime. New score to come with a newer bottle. Big thanks again to Jay though for his generocity!

2.39/5  rDev -45.6%

2.41/5  rDev -45.1%

KBE and 2014 KRE are so different it's ridiculous. Loved KBE (too bad I'll likely never get to have it again), did not like KRE one bit. This beer tasted like thin cough syrup to me.

2.44/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Tastes more like sparkling wine than a beer.

2.5/5  rDev -43.1%

2.58/5  rDev -41.2%

Too much NyQuil going on here. Not sure how you could drink more than 2 oz.

2.81/5  rDev -36%

Really disappointed by this after all the hype. Tastes like carbonated raspberry syrup. Would be a nice pancake topper if reduced down to about 1/3 its volume, but at 30 bucks a bottle you're better off going to IHOP.

2.87/5  rDev -34.6%

Green bottle dipped in red wax. Label states vintage 2004
Served into a flute glass.

Much anticipated brew after reading the many high praises this eisbock has received. Fortunately, its readily available living here in Michigan.

Appearance: Awesome deep maroon color, reminds me of a red wine. Not much carbonation, with no head or lacing. A slight oily texture, most likely due to the high alcohol content.

Smell: WOW!!! Very different, very strong combination of rasberries,cherries, and dark chocolate. Alcohol is completely hidden in the smell.

Taste: O.K., this is not my type of brew. Strong taste of dark chocolate, combined with fruits and berries. It reminded me of bad tasting chocolate covered cherries.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth feel, no alcohol burn, very easy too drink.

Drinkability:Alcohol is completety hidden and is easy too drink. Very smooth. A great sipper!!!

I must admit I was disappointed with this eisbock, its just not my thing. I will try again at a later date, maybe it will hit me different. But at $8.33 for 6.3oz. its hard for me to purchase this again.

2.98/5  rDev -32.1%

First chance at tasting one of Kuhnhenn's beverages. No head at all, clear reddish/purple color; pretty uninteresting to look at it. Smells like a concentrated version of Hershey's Raspberry Syrup, in a good way; there's a hint of booze. Mouthfeel is very thick. Rasperries dominate the flavor but with more of a medicinal quality, a heavy cough syrup flavor lingers for several minutes.

This wasn't underwhelming, it was unpleasant. Would not be interested in revisiting.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company