Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,269
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 436 | Hads: 1,099
4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

On Tap at Rattle $ Hum for their K. event. 2007 vintage in a glass.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock fills the glass with a dark shade of blood stain red with some burgundy colors abound. Not alot of foam on top, just some smallish bubbles, no stick.

Smell takes on two forms. This begins with a fresh raspberry scent that is both rich and potent. It's the main scent for 10 minutes or so. I go to the bathroom and come back, now all I can smell is deep chocolate and Raspberry in the back. A boatload of malts are all around.

Taste starts out with raspberry jam/paste/smuckers/puree whatever you want to call it. The description said raspberry juice was added in, either way I like it. This is indeed an Eisbock, a trifecta of malts make for other darker fruits to play, along with a sweet candy/caramel taste to jump in. Chocolate plays a big roll, more than I thought it would.

Feel is a big medium, approaching full. The liquid is semi coating for a few seconds but does not linger to long. Carb is mild and pleasant and holding this big beast down. Sweet but not cloying and not medicinal in any way.

Overall I enjoyed this one quite a bit and having it on tap is something I thought would never happened. It took about 30 minutes or so to down my 12oz's or so, so you cant drink a shit ton of it, but over a few hours damage can be done.

I mixed in some Bourbon Barrel 4th demensia Old ale to my last 5oz's or so and it worked like a charm. (1,446 characters)

2007 vintage.

Aroma:Sweet Raspberry, and chocolate, a little slightly oxidized malt. A little boozy.

Appearance:Deep reddish brown. Very little head. Very good lacing.

Taste:Tons and tons of raspberry flavor on the foretaste. Caramel, chocolate, sweet malt flavors. Fruit punch on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:Medium body, creamy mouthfeel. A little alcohol heat.

Drinkability:This makes a fantastic after-dinner beer. Amazingly drinkable, very sweet, great fruity flavors, and ages really well. (497 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

2007 mahogany waxed vintage split two ways and poured into an Ithaca Beer Company tulip.

A: Pours a deep ruby-brown color with almost no head at all.  A ring appears briefly and then disappears leaving a calm, deep body resting gently in the glass.  No lacing, but considerable legs.

S: Tons of raspberries up front with a good bit of chocolate and caramel.  Absolutely incredible aroma.  A bit of booze on the back end as well, but mostly a decadent raspberry treat.

T: Raspberries come out immediately and linger through the entire sip, with some chocolate, toffee, and a touch of caramel.  The raspberries provide a really nice tartness that complements the sweetness of the chocolate and caramel.  There is a bit of a booziness, which is surprising, considering this is a 2007 bottle, but it's not overly hot or boozy.  Just incredible.

M: Fuller side of medium-bodied with very little carbonation, with adds a little to the viscosity.  Thicker, still, and coating.  Really nice feel on the tongue with a very slight drying effect after each sip.

D: This beer is killer.  Fairly complex, tasty, odd, and just delicious.  There's not a ton there, but what is there is outstanding.  It's like drinking a raspberry chocolate cake without all the sweetness.  Wonderful, wonderful beer! (1,309 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

Tried this at the Great Taste. Poured red with no head, just a few bubbles from the bottom. The smell was far better than I thought it would be. A nice maltiness with the Raspberries in there adding a tart sweetness that really worked. The taste was fantastic! A smoothness from the thickness of the malt, then your left with a great flavor of raspberries all over your mouth! Very smooth and easy to drink for a 13% beer! (422 characters)

2004 vintage. Muchas Gracias wingnutter

A: No carbonation. There was a hint of pressure difference when the cap came off but thats about it. Has a soy like consistency to it. This almost looks like coffee but a bit more amber like.

S: Raspberry licorice, molasses, vanilla bean, faint chocolate cake and brown sugar.

T: Oh wow, this is going to be difficult. Begins with mellow raspberry flavored coffee which pings the tip of the tongue. The raspberry becomes more pronounced then blends together with fine Belgian chocolate. These flavors embrace each other for what seems like an eternity until the coffee persona takes on more of a roasted quality. Nothing over the top, just a gentle nudge in that direction. Finishes with long lingering raspberry/butterscotch/marshmallow. Raspberry cordial stays with the drinker long after the last sip.

M: Full and silky like a nice liqueur

D: Everything I hoped for...really. Its like I imagined yet so different. Fantastically hand crafted and balanced...seriously delicious. (1,035 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%

Raspberry Eisbock seems like a fine beer to celebrate 5 years on BA!

2004 Vintage

187ml bottle

Dark ruby in hue, fairly opaque, but when backlit a bright garnet color emerges; the color is quite lovely. Short-lived off-white head, in seconds all the bubbles faded to a soapy collar, naked in the middle. Not surprisingly there was no lacing. The appearance is unremarkable (but nice to look at nevertheless). I can’t ask for too much out of a high alcohol beer.

Massive nose! Huge, rich malty aromas… caramel, chocolate, malted balls, plus chocolate covered raspberries, dried raspberries. Not to mention a wonderful boozy cognac aroma, raisin bread, and so much more it seems. This is a very complex nose! Wow. I’ve never smelled a beer like this… I love it! Huge potency, chatty, complex, my mouth waters with every sip. This is a hell of a dessert Eisbock. It is rich and powerful but with grace.

Hot palate… rum, brandy, fruity cognac, raspberry wine; whoa, my throat feels the burn. Milk chocolate covered raspberries, hints of espresso, cream, raisin bread, licorice, black currents with a splash of burnt sugar at the finish. I was expecting a fuller malt profile. By no means is the malt lacking, it is quite healthy but I was hoping for something more firm. Sweet throughout, almost cloying but with less than 7 ounces to drink how can I complain? I am forced to sip and savor. It is totally worth it.

Low carbonation, smooth mouthfeel; about full in body which fits this beer perfectly. Relaxing…

Funny, I could drink two or three of these little bottles in one setting. There has to be dozens of desserts to pair this with. Fantastic. Hell, it flies solo very well. I bet a creamy, rich cheese would rock too. Easily the best fruit beer I have ever tasted. My first beer from Kuhnhenn was a stud (as expected really). Bravo! Thank you RedHaze, I am glad I waited to drink this. I don’t know why I did but it was paid off in spades. (1,974 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%

2007 vintage served from a bottle at Ashley's in Ann Arbor into a small glass.

A: I was expecting this to be a little bit more red, but the color was a murky dark brown, with only a faint hint of red when held up to the light. Almost no head (tiny bit of off-white when first poured) with little to no retention.

S: Simply wonderful and complex. The raspberries defiantly come through on top, as they should. There are also notes of caramel, malt, vanilla, and chocolate.

T: I took my first sip and was blown away. A very unique tasting beer. Chocolate, candies, caramel, with some raspberry glaze on top. Still, somehow not overly sweet, probably due to the low amount of alcohol heat on the back end...delicious.

M: Low carbonation, but this makes for one smooth, gratifying drink. The smoothness does not come across like the "chewiness" of some big stouts, but rather like a cordial.

D: Perhaps my only complaint (aside from minor downgrades in the appearance) is that as this beer warmed it felt as if more alcohol booziness was coming through than at the start of the glass. This may limit its drinkability somewhat. While I know that it may be meant more as an after dinner or dessert beer, the 6.3 ounce bottle also limits its drinkability as I would have loved a 12 ounce serving instead! Definitely a must try. (1,325 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this at the Winter Solstice party.

Pours a deep brown with a reddish hue as it settles. When it came to me it had a small head that didn't stick around for too long. No lacing detected.

Very sweet malt and raspberries. Raspberries all day long.

Just like the smell, it was definitely raspberries but there wasn't any tartness. Very delicious. I picked up on the malt but not so much on the bitterness though I did get a hint of the hops during the aftertaste.

Somewhat carbonated. I was expecting more of a smoother drink from the reviews here but I'm sure that has to do with age. Nice and thick...heavy almost.

This was a damn fine drink from Kuhnhenn's and I can see why it won an award. The beer is excellent fresh and has unlimited potential when aged. (767 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +7.3%

A : Pours a hazy murky with a thin tan head that doesn't last long

S : Strong raspberry smell with nice chocolate notes.

T : Just like the nose with a really strong raspberry flavor. It's almost what I would imagine chocolate covered raspberries would taste like. There's also some wood characteristics to it

M : Syrupy, good carbonation

D : I'd love to have more. I'm not sure if I could have more than one in a setting but it begs for repeat tastings (457 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

6.3oz. little bitty green bottle poured into a snifter. Notes.

A: Pours an opaque brandy color with deep ruby in the light, awesome color. Not overly carbonated, short head with wisps of lacing.

S: Raspberries and other syrupy fruits. Deep and hugely rich malts. Somewhat port-like.

T/M: Tart raspberries. Sweet, syrupy malts. Caramel, toffee, chocolate, all the good stuff. Alcohol is big ang beautiful... superbly complex. Great flavor and warmth from the alcohol. Body is full and sticky. Carbonation is somewhat low but still supports the brew.

D: Very intrigueing beer that definitely lives up to the hype. Unbelievable sipper and after dinner drink. (659 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled at the Hop Devil in NYC for their Kuhnhenn night. What a treat this was. Served in an 8 oz wine glass. The beer poured a deep amber color with pretty much no head. there was a nice hint of a frost on the glass due to the serving temp which I come to find out from the brewer who was at the event that it was the best temp to serve it at. A bit cooler. There was a deep malty nose with some slight sweetness to boot. The taste was vinous and had a great raspberry and chocolate taste that compliment each other very well. Even with some of the high abv coming through, this is a smooth beer that goes down without alot of burn but provides for a nice warming sensation and full mouth and body. (700 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +7.6%

Ah, the elusive Raspberry Eisbock. Thanks to BigDaddyWil for this bottle!

Appearance was nice - copper color with cherry highlights throughout. There was a small head upon pouring but this faded pretty quickly, which is to be expected for a 13.5% brew.

The smell is very pleasant. It's a nice mellow warm raspberry and cherry fruitiness, with a hint of caramel. The smell really intensifies as this warms, but it didn't surprise me as much as the spectacular taste.

The taste is like no other beer you've had. It tastes like chocolate covered raspberries without the tartness as first. Then the depth of the caramel malt hits you and really brings the complexity to another level. There is also some mysterious sparkly spiciness underneath everything that confounds me as I cannot put a name on it. This is one of the most decadent and rich beers I have ever tried, and it was a perfect dessert after a nice steak dinner and a Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout. There is never any hint of the alcohol content, which is amazing.

The mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. It's thick, that's for sure, but not so thick that it becomes chewy or heavy at any point. It's basically just perfect. I had to fight myself from chugging my tiny sample because I split the ridiculously small bottle with my girlfriend. This is such a good example of the diversity of beer. Just amazing. (1,392 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +7.8%

A: Not a real site to be honest with you. Pours a reddish brown hue with a very wimpy head.

S: The appearence left me wondering, but at first whiff I knew I had a winner. Holy shit this one is beautiful. Think freshberries drizzled with caramel and hot fudge. I have not had a dessert in quite sometime with an aroma this wonderful.

T: After smelling this one, I had to dive in and give it a sip. WOW!!! I have had eisbock's before and I was some what luke warm to them. Well this is a totally different. The flavors are some of the most complex I have ever tasted. Think Fresh Ripe Indiana Raspberries, Wonderful Creamy Caramel, and the Best Belgian Chocolate known to man mixed together and put in a bottle. That is what this one is. Soo complex, soo wonderful, soo good. The flavors are so dynamic yet seperate. They do not compete with each other at all.

M: Thick and syrupy with ample carbonation.

D: Very little indication of the ABV. The flavor makes you wish this one came by the bomber.

Overall: This is one had I been after for quite sometime. I was glad to acquire it, and even happier with the first taste. The flavors and aromas are hard to beat. Most brewers out there try to replicate world class brews. There is a reason no one else it putting out something like this one. This beer is world class and can not be duplicated. No doubt about it this is one of the best beers in the world. Kuhnhenn hit a grand slam with this one. GET IT AT ANY COST!!! (1,470 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This review is from notes taken in the wee morning hours of Sunday 5-19-13, when I was able to get into Kuhnhenn's a little after midnight for my bachelor party. I had a couple things there, but this was the one I had to rate.

It had a reddish brown body with a finger of head. This dissipated into a frothy ring and left light lacing.

I wish I could have smelled it a little better, but I was a little stuffed up from allergies. What I did get was raspberry cream, or some kind of raspberry dessert smell.

The taste was all raspberry. Raspberry cream, raspberry cough syrup, a little bit of booze helping out on that call.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied. It coated the tongue. It was perfect. Refreshing (yes, I said it) while still a tad syrupy.

Overall I wish the allergies hadn't been acting up so I can be sure what I smelled and tasted was accurate. I had to rate it as I perceived it as a rare chance for any Ohioan to do so very often. I was very happy to be there in Kuhnhenn's where so much magic goes down. (1,019 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8%

One of those special beers that somehow eluded me for years. Big thanks to rudzud for finally getting one and sharing it with me. 2012 vintage.

No real head, thick syrupy pour, long legs, semi clear for how dark it is, mahogany chestnut dark thick color faint dark ruby light.

Nose brings tons of syrupy bock, and syrupy raspberry, toffee, caramel, candy syrup, sweet raspberry marmalade, so much raspberry puree, super dark choc too, heavy truffle like dark choc with raspberry filling, no booze, raspberry rock candy crystals,

Taste is amazing, full of jammy raspberry, flesh and raspberry jam, etc, with great powdered cocoa and dark choc dust. Very sweet, syrupy candy, raspberry truffle filling and dark choc outside. Little tannic seed stem but the real raspberry seed in there. Rich velvety raspberry and choc, like a black forest cake with raspberry, bakers choc cake. Finish is sticky syrupy but not messy, very little warming booze, sticky finish.

Mouth is thick and velvety, very little carb but very little booze too.

Overall, I had very high expectations for this, and it even surpassed them. Amazing beer. Only qualm is the lack of the bock and malts on the flavor. (1,188 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8%

This is the first fruit beer that really wowed me. It is worth every bit of the hype that led up to my tasting it. On an evening full of great new beers this one stole the show. Dark and opaque with minimal head and a slightly red glow at the edges the beer looks quite imposing. The aroma is incredible. Dark chocolate and fresh rasberries smell so real if you closed your eyes you you would swear the dessert cart was rolled out as your coffee was being poured. The taste is every bit the equal of the aroma. Sweet without becoming cloying, a perfect balance of the chocolate and coffee bitterness and the sweetness of the rasberry and malt. Thick mouthfeel, but it is perfect for this beer. Very drinkable considering that everything about this beer is so rich. I was a bit surprised when I learned just how strong this beer is. Alcohol is very well hidden. (860 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into an enlarged wine glass. This is the 2012 version

Appearance: Pours a dark raspberry red and gives a half finger of reddish-tan head which fade almost immediately to nothing.

Smell: Huge aroma - when I poured it, the aroma filled up the room: BIG raspberry, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, chocolate dipped raspberries, bourbon, oak, vanilla, toffee. Big and complex.

Taste: Holy cow, huge flavor (I think my eyes are watering): Big delicious raspberry, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, bourbon. Quite sweet, but really delicious flavors. Jammy and syrupy raspberry take the lead with some bourbon-like qualities playing wonderfully beside.

Mouth-feel: Low to medium carbonation with a thick, sticky, syrupy body. Finishes a bit sweet. The alcohol is masked masterfully.

Overall: This is an awesome, huge raspberry beer. The raspberry is amazingly pronounced but wonderful. Other players include chocolate, vanilla, toffee, molasses. This is surprisingly drinkable. I'm definitely glad I drank the whole 375 mL bottle! (1,052 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this one.

6.3 oz bottle, 2004 release

A: Pours into a flute with a reddish brown color with little head or lacing.

S: Light fruity smell with sugary aromas the remind me of candy. Also some herbal and floral notes. Not a strong smell, but very complex and pleasant.

T: Soft raspberry taste with flavors of caramel, candy, and a characteristic bock maltiness. Sweet, but not overly fruity as I expected. The alcohol is amazingly well-hidden until the beer gets to room temp, and then it takes on a mild cough syrup sort of taste, so drink this slightly chilled.

M: Full-bodied, thick, sticky, and syrupy. Light carbonation.

D: An amazing sipper, 6.3 ounces was just enough. Quite complex and a must-try beer. (752 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +8%

6.3oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 vintage. Huge thanks to thabigmp for sharing this amazing beer. My first Eisbock and Kuhnhenn.

A: Dark brown with deep red highlights. Very hazy. Very small head that fades quick and leaves hardly any lace. But I wasn't expecting much with 13.5%ABV.

S: Amazing. Chocolate covered raspberries. Very creamy smell. A touch of alcohol. A surprising cheesecake aroma.

T: Just like a chocolate raspberry cheesecake, and boy do I love cheesecake. Very sweet without being to sweet. No alcohol is perceptible at all.

M: Full bodied. Light carbonation. Very creamy and chewy. Rich.

O: An amazing beer! Not a whole lot to say except if you get a chance to try it don't pass it up. (717 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +8.2%

187ml bottle 13,% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2007 Vintage.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock has been right at the top of my wants list almost since I joined BA back in late 2009. I really hope that the contents of this ridiculously small bottle will live up to my expectations!

Appearance: The beer appears a deep red-brown in the glass, with a back light revealing beautiful cherry red highlights that fade into golden-amber edges. Surprisingly, a rough pour yields a small, creamy, light tan coloured head. The head doesn't stick around for very long, nor does it leave any lacing, but a swirl does coat the glass in a sticky film and heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Holy balls, this could well be one of the best smelling beers I have had all year! This has just blown any expectations I had right out of the water.
The nose is absolutely bursting with sweet jammy raspberry goodness and is backed up by a powerful sweetness. The nose is so big and so complex, I think i will just list the notes I managed to detect over the course of the bottle, these include: Sweet raspberry jam, a lightly tart fresh raspberry character, sweet dark fruits (plums and cherries), sweet toffee, dark caramel, some milk chocolate, golden syrup, a touch of molasses, dark treacle and a little vanilla character similar to that of a bourbon barrel aged beer.
The interplay between the sweetness and the raspberry flavours is mind blowing - someone needs to make a dessert that tastes like this smells!

Taste: the flavour offers even more raspberry notes than the nose did, with a little more emphasis on the lightly tart fruit character. There is again a wonderful underlying sweetness with notes of milk chocolate, dark fruit, toffee, treacle and a little molasses. Sadly there is also a distinct oxidized character that grows as the beer warms and certainly detracts quite a bit from the flavour of the beer.
There is absolutely no trace of the 13,5% present in the flavour.

Mouthfeel: Perfect! Full bodied, sticky and almost chewy, with a medium level of phenomenally smooth carbonation.

Overall: Dear Kuhnhenn, please make this beer again and please put it in a standard 355ml bottle!
Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock has certainly lived up to my expectations and had it not been for the oxidization in the flavour, this would easily land in my top 10 beers of all time. (2,388 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +8.2%

2004 bottle. Absolutely delicious raspberries, molasses, chocolate, and coffee! Beautiful mahogany color. Nice rich mouth feel with just a touch of carbonation to clean the finish. This is simply wonderful. This is the epitome of dessert beer. I highly reccomend serving it with a really nice, moist piece of chocolate cake. (324 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%

thanks to gaisgeil for this tiny little baby bottle full of highly-coveted elixir. a nice wax top on this one, best one i've seen yet as a matter of fact.

pour is.. well, small. 187 ml looks like i backwashed half a sip of oud bruin into my st. bernardus chalice. nice, low-density pour though. color is slightly brown but mostly deep red (underlined 'deep red'). thin crown of bubbles around the glass' edge. thin lacing remains on a tilted glass. decent appearance but nothing too special here. bottle's nice, points for that.

aroma kicks it up a few levels though. jammy raspberry aroma is the first thing i notice, and stronger so than i had anticipated.. maybe because im looking for it. this is quickly followed by a spicy alcohol-driven woody kick. this is not a pure fruit beer by any means, it benefits from fruit but relies on grain ingredients to make it classy and substantial.

taste is quite perfect. complex as all hell, probably moreso due to my unfamiliarity with such a style. raspberry on the tongue gives way to tartness, a heavy malt bitterness happening in the rear of the mouth cavern. an aged port finish full of vanilla and butterscotch with the sweetest dark chocolate kick. lingering is an infusion of all this plus the beer's namesake red fruit.

sure its a sipper, but not too heavy at all. feels great going down and is very drinkable for an eisbock. brilliant idea here to cut the harsher aspects of an eis.. experimentation at its finest and exactly why this beer is hyped up to extreme levels.

this beer marks a step into the future for craft beers. (1,597 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%

Vintage 2004-from a 6 ounce nip bottle. Pours a chestnut colored amber. Low carbonation

Big aroma of caramel and rasberries. Almost cake like. Somewhat bready. The rasberries are there but theres a great underlying malt sweetness to it. Reminds me of a cordial.

Rasberry and caramel are rolled into one for a truely perfect balance. Theres just a hint of chocolate that makes you wonder is it caramel or chocolate that balances the rasberries. Somewhat vinuous. A pleasant mix of sweet/tart that cant be beat.

Excellent moutfeel. Not syrupy sweet and certainly not thin by any means.

Absolutely an amazing beer. I really had my doubts about this one. The name itself almost sounds like something that would be hard to deliver. Really quite the stellar effort. Get some,horde some-and SEND ME MORE!!! Thanks to eyedrinkale for the sample. (853 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%

Big cheers to Kev for sharing this one with Chris and I (even though it was a small bottle). 6.3oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a deep ruby red color with just the slightest bit of bubbles. Absolutely no lacing. The smell is fantastic. A beautiful blend of honey, raspberries, and alcohol. The just meld together, you don't know where one ends and the other begins. Very intoxicating. The taste is insane. Lots of fresh raspberries coming out at me. A bit of sugary sweetness and some slight alcohol warming. Slightly spicy too, with just a little bit of ginger. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and strong, just smothering my tongue. The drinkability is deadly for a 13.5% brew. A really awesome beer, and I can't believe Kev let me have a nice share of this bottle, cheers to him! (794 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%

Green 187 ml wax dipped bottle, vintage 2004.

Deep tawny coloured brown. Thin off white head barely forms and imediately sinks into nothing.

Smells like some sort of crazy tart raspberry brandy.

Flavours cocoa, and sweet toffee candy. Big raspberries (you'd swear there were berries in the glass). Enough malty flavours to hold it together. Incredibly balanced, viscous, with gentle carbonation. Sweet finish, but not cloying. Nothing is subtle, but the whole thing holds itself together nicely, and has a great deal of character. (539 characters)

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company