Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,268
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,089 | Reviews: 452
4.71/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Not a real site to be honest with you. Pours a reddish brown hue with a very wimpy head.

S: The appearence left me wondering, but at first whiff I knew I had a winner. Holy shit this one is beautiful. Think freshberries drizzled with caramel and hot fudge. I have not had a dessert in quite sometime with an aroma this wonderful.

T: After smelling this one, I had to dive in and give it a sip. WOW!!! I have had eisbock's before and I was some what luke warm to them. Well this is a totally different. The flavors are some of the most complex I have ever tasted. Think Fresh Ripe Indiana Raspberries, Wonderful Creamy Caramel, and the Best Belgian Chocolate known to man mixed together and put in a bottle. That is what this one is. Soo complex, soo wonderful, soo good. The flavors are so dynamic yet seperate. They do not compete with each other at all.

M: Thick and syrupy with ample carbonation.

D: Very little indication of the ABV. The flavor makes you wish this one came by the bomber.

Overall: This is one had I been after for quite sometime. I was glad to acquire it, and even happier with the first taste. The flavors and aromas are hard to beat. Most brewers out there try to replicate world class brews. There is a reason no one else it putting out something like this one. This beer is world class and can not be duplicated. No doubt about it this is one of the best beers in the world. Kuhnhenn hit a grand slam with this one. GET IT AT ANY COST!!!

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This review is from notes taken in the wee morning hours of Sunday 5-19-13, when I was able to get into Kuhnhenn's a little after midnight for my bachelor party. I had a couple things there, but this was the one I had to rate.

It had a reddish brown body with a finger of head. This dissipated into a frothy ring and left light lacing.

I wish I could have smelled it a little better, but I was a little stuffed up from allergies. What I did get was raspberry cream, or some kind of raspberry dessert smell.

The taste was all raspberry. Raspberry cream, raspberry cough syrup, a little bit of booze helping out on that call.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied. It coated the tongue. It was perfect. Refreshing (yes, I said it) while still a tad syrupy.

Overall I wish the allergies hadn't been acting up so I can be sure what I smelled and tasted was accurate. I had to rate it as I perceived it as a rare chance for any Ohioan to do so very often. I was very happy to be there in Kuhnhenn's where so much magic goes down.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

One of those special beers that somehow eluded me for years. Big thanks to rudzud for finally getting one and sharing it with me. 2012 vintage.

No real head, thick syrupy pour, long legs, semi clear for how dark it is, mahogany chestnut dark thick color faint dark ruby light.

Nose brings tons of syrupy bock, and syrupy raspberry, toffee, caramel, candy syrup, sweet raspberry marmalade, so much raspberry puree, super dark choc too, heavy truffle like dark choc with raspberry filling, no booze, raspberry rock candy crystals,

Taste is amazing, full of jammy raspberry, flesh and raspberry jam, etc, with great powdered cocoa and dark choc dust. Very sweet, syrupy candy, raspberry truffle filling and dark choc outside. Little tannic seed stem but the real raspberry seed in there. Rich velvety raspberry and choc, like a black forest cake with raspberry, bakers choc cake. Finish is sticky syrupy but not messy, very little warming booze, sticky finish.

Mouth is thick and velvety, very little carb but very little booze too.

Overall, I had very high expectations for this, and it even surpassed them. Amazing beer. Only qualm is the lack of the bock and malts on the flavor.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

This is the first fruit beer that really wowed me. It is worth every bit of the hype that led up to my tasting it. On an evening full of great new beers this one stole the show. Dark and opaque with minimal head and a slightly red glow at the edges the beer looks quite imposing. The aroma is incredible. Dark chocolate and fresh rasberries smell so real if you closed your eyes you you would swear the dessert cart was rolled out as your coffee was being poured. The taste is every bit the equal of the aroma. Sweet without becoming cloying, a perfect balance of the chocolate and coffee bitterness and the sweetness of the rasberry and malt. Thick mouthfeel, but it is perfect for this beer. Very drinkable considering that everything about this beer is so rich. I was a bit surprised when I learned just how strong this beer is. Alcohol is very well hidden.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 375 mL bottle into an enlarged wine glass. This is the 2012 version

Appearance: Pours a dark raspberry red and gives a half finger of reddish-tan head which fade almost immediately to nothing.

Smell: Huge aroma - when I poured it, the aroma filled up the room: BIG raspberry, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, chocolate dipped raspberries, bourbon, oak, vanilla, toffee. Big and complex.

Taste: Holy cow, huge flavor (I think my eyes are watering): Big delicious raspberry, caramel, brown sugar, toffee, bourbon. Quite sweet, but really delicious flavors. Jammy and syrupy raspberry take the lead with some bourbon-like qualities playing wonderfully beside.

Mouth-feel: Low to medium carbonation with a thick, sticky, syrupy body. Finishes a bit sweet. The alcohol is masked masterfully.

Overall: This is an awesome, huge raspberry beer. The raspberry is amazingly pronounced but wonderful. Other players include chocolate, vanilla, toffee, molasses. This is surprisingly drinkable. I'm definitely glad I drank the whole 375 mL bottle!

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this one.

6.3 oz bottle, 2004 release

A: Pours into a flute with a reddish brown color with little head or lacing.

S: Light fruity smell with sugary aromas the remind me of candy. Also some herbal and floral notes. Not a strong smell, but very complex and pleasant.

T: Soft raspberry taste with flavors of caramel, candy, and a characteristic bock maltiness. Sweet, but not overly fruity as I expected. The alcohol is amazingly well-hidden until the beer gets to room temp, and then it takes on a mild cough syrup sort of taste, so drink this slightly chilled.

M: Full-bodied, thick, sticky, and syrupy. Light carbonation.

D: An amazing sipper, 6.3 ounces was just enough. Quite complex and a must-try beer.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

6.3oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 vintage. Huge thanks to thabigmp for sharing this amazing beer. My first Eisbock and Kuhnhenn.

A: Dark brown with deep red highlights. Very hazy. Very small head that fades quick and leaves hardly any lace. But I wasn't expecting much with 13.5%ABV.

S: Amazing. Chocolate covered raspberries. Very creamy smell. A touch of alcohol. A surprising cheesecake aroma.

T: Just like a chocolate raspberry cheesecake, and boy do I love cheesecake. Very sweet without being to sweet. No alcohol is perceptible at all.

M: Full bodied. Light carbonation. Very creamy and chewy. Rich.

O: An amazing beer! Not a whole lot to say except if you get a chance to try it don't pass it up.

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%

187ml bottle 13,% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2007 Vintage.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock has been right at the top of my wants list almost since I joined BA back in late 2009. I really hope that the contents of this ridiculously small bottle will live up to my expectations!

Appearance: The beer appears a deep red-brown in the glass, with a back light revealing beautiful cherry red highlights that fade into golden-amber edges. Surprisingly, a rough pour yields a small, creamy, light tan coloured head. The head doesn't stick around for very long, nor does it leave any lacing, but a swirl does coat the glass in a sticky film and heavy alcohol legs.

Smell: Holy balls, this could well be one of the best smelling beers I have had all year! This has just blown any expectations I had right out of the water.
The nose is absolutely bursting with sweet jammy raspberry goodness and is backed up by a powerful sweetness. The nose is so big and so complex, I think i will just list the notes I managed to detect over the course of the bottle, these include: Sweet raspberry jam, a lightly tart fresh raspberry character, sweet dark fruits (plums and cherries), sweet toffee, dark caramel, some milk chocolate, golden syrup, a touch of molasses, dark treacle and a little vanilla character similar to that of a bourbon barrel aged beer.
The interplay between the sweetness and the raspberry flavours is mind blowing - someone needs to make a dessert that tastes like this smells!

Taste: the flavour offers even more raspberry notes than the nose did, with a little more emphasis on the lightly tart fruit character. There is again a wonderful underlying sweetness with notes of milk chocolate, dark fruit, toffee, treacle and a little molasses. Sadly there is also a distinct oxidized character that grows as the beer warms and certainly detracts quite a bit from the flavour of the beer.
There is absolutely no trace of the 13,5% present in the flavour.

Mouthfeel: Perfect! Full bodied, sticky and almost chewy, with a medium level of phenomenally smooth carbonation.

Overall: Dear Kuhnhenn, please make this beer again and please put it in a standard 355ml bottle!
Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock has certainly lived up to my expectations and had it not been for the oxidization in the flavour, this would easily land in my top 10 beers of all time.

4.73/5  rDev +7.7%

2004 bottle. Absolutely delicious raspberries, molasses, chocolate, and coffee! Beautiful mahogany color. Nice rich mouth feel with just a touch of carbonation to clean the finish. This is simply wonderful. This is the epitome of dessert beer. I highly reccomend serving it with a really nice, moist piece of chocolate cake.

4.74/5  rDev +8%

thanks to gaisgeil for this tiny little baby bottle full of highly-coveted elixir. a nice wax top on this one, best one i've seen yet as a matter of fact.

pour is.. well, small. 187 ml looks like i backwashed half a sip of oud bruin into my st. bernardus chalice. nice, low-density pour though. color is slightly brown but mostly deep red (underlined 'deep red'). thin crown of bubbles around the glass' edge. thin lacing remains on a tilted glass. decent appearance but nothing too special here. bottle's nice, points for that.

aroma kicks it up a few levels though. jammy raspberry aroma is the first thing i notice, and stronger so than i had anticipated.. maybe because im looking for it. this is quickly followed by a spicy alcohol-driven woody kick. this is not a pure fruit beer by any means, it benefits from fruit but relies on grain ingredients to make it classy and substantial.

taste is quite perfect. complex as all hell, probably moreso due to my unfamiliarity with such a style. raspberry on the tongue gives way to tartness, a heavy malt bitterness happening in the rear of the mouth cavern. an aged port finish full of vanilla and butterscotch with the sweetest dark chocolate kick. lingering is an infusion of all this plus the beer's namesake red fruit.

sure its a sipper, but not too heavy at all. feels great going down and is very drinkable for an eisbock. brilliant idea here to cut the harsher aspects of an eis.. experimentation at its finest and exactly why this beer is hyped up to extreme levels.

this beer marks a step into the future for craft beers.

4.74/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

incredibly impressive beer, distinct and wonderful

4.74/5  rDev +8%

Vintage 2004-from a 6 ounce nip bottle. Pours a chestnut colored amber. Low carbonation

Big aroma of caramel and rasberries. Almost cake like. Somewhat bready. The rasberries are there but theres a great underlying malt sweetness to it. Reminds me of a cordial.

Rasberry and caramel are rolled into one for a truely perfect balance. Theres just a hint of chocolate that makes you wonder is it caramel or chocolate that balances the rasberries. Somewhat vinuous. A pleasant mix of sweet/tart that cant be beat.

Excellent moutfeel. Not syrupy sweet and certainly not thin by any means.

Absolutely an amazing beer. I really had my doubts about this one. The name itself almost sounds like something that would be hard to deliver. Really quite the stellar effort. Get some,horde some-and SEND ME MORE!!! Thanks to eyedrinkale for the sample.

4.74/5  rDev +8%

Big cheers to Kev for sharing this one with Chris and I (even though it was a small bottle). 6.3oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a deep ruby red color with just the slightest bit of bubbles. Absolutely no lacing. The smell is fantastic. A beautiful blend of honey, raspberries, and alcohol. The just meld together, you don't know where one ends and the other begins. Very intoxicating. The taste is insane. Lots of fresh raspberries coming out at me. A bit of sugary sweetness and some slight alcohol warming. Slightly spicy too, with just a little bit of ginger. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and strong, just smothering my tongue. The drinkability is deadly for a 13.5% brew. A really awesome beer, and I can't believe Kev let me have a nice share of this bottle, cheers to him!

4.74/5  rDev +8%

Green 187 ml wax dipped bottle, vintage 2004.

Deep tawny coloured brown. Thin off white head barely forms and imediately sinks into nothing.

Smells like some sort of crazy tart raspberry brandy.

Flavours cocoa, and sweet toffee candy. Big raspberries (you'd swear there were berries in the glass). Enough malty flavours to hold it together. Incredibly balanced, viscous, with gentle carbonation. Sweet finish, but not cloying. Nothing is subtle, but the whole thing holds itself together nicely, and has a great deal of character.

4.74/5  rDev +8%

My most gratious thanks to Frozensoul 327! Erik, I am in your debt!

6.3oz bottle, 2004 vintage. A thick coating of deep red wax seals the cap. The wax itself smells like raspberries! I saved this, my first time trying the KRE, for a beautiful, warm, sunny Sunday afternoon - March 11, 2007. Earlier this morning the clocks went ahead and we gained an hour of sunlight. The spring is almost here and I've waited very patiently for it. What better way to both usher it in (with raspberries) and usher out the winter (with eisbock)...

Pours rather flat but with miniscule bubbles that line the top parts of the outside of the glass. A deep shaded colour, offers no real highlights even directly to the light. A swirl can generate some mocha coloured trim. No lacing of course but does leave legs (understandable for the high graivty). At some angles you might catch a glimpse of tawny chestnut, but nothing overly pretty.
The aroma is more so that of an eisbock with the fruit very diminished behind a huge malt base. Sticky notes with large presence (but no alcohol) in the smell. Notes of dried fruits like raisons or plums, distant hops, a rich caramel and dark chocolate, a slight (wood) spruce like note, and an incredible amount of malts!
The flavours hit with the malt at first and the raspberry subtely coating the mouth in a long, lasting finish. Very unaggresive (obscenely so considering the alcohol percentage) which goes all but undetectable. Very silky smooth. Flavours are highly subjective, I could see picking out about anything from such a deep, complex profile. What I find most predominant is a strong chocolate caramel flavour. The raspberry compliments the caramel malts so well but always stays secondary. A little more medicinal as it warmed, but this lovely taste just floats around the mouth for a very long time after...
A perfect after dinner, along side desert sipper. This bottle, at 2+ years is holding up fantastic but I would love to try this fresh. Certainly worth the high price for this experience. I may have to lower my marks of other eisbocks.
Why does this bottle have to be so small? This truly is something unique and world class.

4.74/5  rDev +8%

I got this bottle in a trade with hoppymeal. Thanks Derek!

It pours from 187ml bottle(2007) a cloudy brown/amber with a very small head of foam that shrinks to just a ring around the glass almost immediately.

The smell is *very* nice. I get notes of raspberry, vanilla, and some caramel malt...maybe? Hard to tell.

The taste has oodles of raspberry up front followed by a *very* malty base that I'm finding hard to describe as I've never encountered that taste before. I can taste some caramel malt, maybe some butterscotch(?), some kind of tartness probably from the raspberry and wow...this son of a gun is *so* tasty and yeah, the abv is right up there and I can feel the warming but I'm enjoying it. Wow. This one gets better and better with each sip. I'm now grabbing the bottle and pouring in my glass every drop that I can get! I'm serious!

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and it finishes with a raspberry/honey flavour that you just wish would never end. Man, this is a world class brew and I'm so happy to have had a chance to try it. Mucho thanks again to hoppymeal for one fine drinking experience!!

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Tastes like double crooked tree with a hint of pumkin and spice

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks for the hookup MichiganderHB...after trying this at a tasting last week, I needed moar.

A - KRE pours ruby brown in color with a bit of a cognac-looking rim; the head is minimal and the carbonation scant. Visually, this one is nice but not overly impressive. In fact, in a visual lineup only, I'd probably skip it.

S - this beer smells like toasted and caramelized sugar drizzled over warmed raspberries with a touch of maple syrup; if you bury your shnozzwanger in the glass, you might get a hint or two of alcohol and sexual warmth

T - Jesus H. tapdancing...I was sauced when we got to this bottle last week...and had destroyed the palate with stouts, ba stouts, and DIPAs...and this fucker still stood up righteously. That sentiment hasn't changed this evening. KRE tastes like a stack of raspberry jam french toast with heated maple syrup and powdered sugar drizzled all over it. Throw in a bit of tanic herb flavors and just a subtle hint of booze and we're off to the races.

M - there's one thing anyone drinking this beer should know: the 15.5 is one of the sneakiest high-abv beers I've ever encountered. Seriously, is that a misprint? This beer is warm, thick, and just the slightest bit of syrupy. Maybe I have bigger balls than most, but I don't get the "big booze" flavors. Sure it's warm and it'll redden your cheeks, but you don't get that in the mouth...you get it long after your sip has permeated your gut.

O - just wow...this is really an amazing beer. I may be a wordsmith, but it was best described to me by someone else: KRE is raspberry french toast in a glass. It's kind of an unreal beer and it really makes you wonder how on earth the managed this flavor. Maybe I need to get a hold of KBE too...as far as fruit-forward goes, this mofo takes the pancake.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Close in hue to grape juice with a slight white cap that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is quite inviting, with the raspberry up front and a dose of chocolate in the mix. Okay, childhood memories of a raspberry tootsie pop are unavoidable.

Flavor delivers the goods that the nose promises: big,full raspberry taste with some definite tartness that never reaches the level of puckering, and chocolate flavors compliment this elixir with a hint of booze poking through.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, some interesting and lasting tartness on the palate.

A great drinking experience all around and an excellent beer. Highly recommend this one!

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

6.3oz. 2004 bottle: There was a faint "pffft" when I popped the cap. This one poured out a cloudy slightly reddish-brown color. The head was about non-existent. The aroma is interesting. Definite notes of raspberry, but also a sourness to it. Also notes of a rich maltiness and some oakiness. It also reminds me somwwhat of a port. The raspberries are a big part of the taste, but not overpowering. There is an initial mild sweetness, that is followed by somewhat sour aftertaste. There is also a bit of a thickness and silkiness to the palate. The are also flavors of caramel and toffee in the mix. Absolutely no taste of alcohol, which is suprising given the 18% ABV. This is extremely nice.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Lovely 500 ml bottle shared with mentor, who provided, bless his heart.

Beautiful cocoa head, deep magenta hue, edging on brown...looks like a bockish brown, but shows crimson aspects, as well.

Vast aromatics...cream & cognac....angelic...sweetness, light and lively, matched with the power of booze. Raspberry flavor is shy at first, but peeks out eventually (in aroma and taste)...
...which is where we're going next...tastes like brandy at first, until raspberry slips through, under the coat of çognac...and the result is utterly unheard of ...a graceful, powerful thing, some nuts, chocolate charge the palate elegantly...a sublime sipper and a rich elixir, all at once.
After further examination, "absolutely gorgeous" is good as I can get, for now...uncanny, this balance, this magnificent marriage, and this perfect play of flavors, that harmonizes to create a gentle blend that delivers a rare, unheard-of experience in the flavor, and all throught the experience.
Fantastic balance: never too strong, too dark, too rich, just right...slick, yet graceful, not sickly, not treacly, somehow just the perfect match of a strong dark lager and the raspberry flavor, with enchanting yeast...a magical match of cookie + fruit + liquor.
There's a slight bite, a bit of hops, then all is mellow, you never really feel the 13%, it's a sly, subtle sophisticated combination.
Full-bodied, yet not fulsome, and wholly memorable. Unique among beers, this has a flavor and a transcendent effect not felt in many other beers.
They did their work well at Kuhnhenn, and crafted a masterpiece...a $30 bottle masterpiece, though? Ehhh???
Definitely a special occasion beer, and after-dinner dessert brew, only for revelling and toasting, something to mellow the mood and usher in an unheard of feeling among all in company...not an any-old-day beer, by any means.

4.76/5  rDev +8.4%

Hmmm...I hope I am in the right place...my bottle doesn't look anything like the one in the photo and my ABV is listed as 11.9% but it says it is Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock and I don't see another listing anywhere.

This one pours an opaque reddish amber with a faint head that disappears immediately leaving nothing in it's wake.

Aroma is incredibly all raspberries, chocolate, and creamy butter.

Taste is raspberry, toffee, pure candy and desert like....hard to describe other than 'I like it'.

Not much like a beer, but much like a desert..and much liked.
Yummm...

4.76/5  rDev +8.4%

I split the 2007 bottle into two snifter to share with a friend. I also gave a small sip to a non beer geek. We were blessed with a slight brown fizz (I stole that word).That fizz didn't last long but I expected that. The body was a murky black so the appearance really wasn't much to look at.. Now were this brew starts to shine is the aroma chocolate raspberry tart was the first word I hear to describe it, and it stuck in my head. The flavor was more of the same it had great chocolate caramel and a ton of raspberries' in it. This was a desert in a glass and the mouth feel was thick and syrupy so it was a perfect aperitif. All around this was a great brew.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

2004 bottle. Since this is the last day of American Carft Beer Week, I decided to close it out with a bang.

This beer pours a dark brown color with a thin light brown head. The head fades fast, leaving a lot of laces.

This beer has a very pleasent raspberry and chocolate aroma. It smells quite sweet. I am a little surprised at how chocolatey this smells. The alcohol is hidden well in the aroma, but I can detect a hint of it.

This beer has a very chocolate raspberry flavor. It tastes like I am eating candy. It is very sweet. The alcohol is noticable in the flavor. Wow, this beer is incredable. Never have I tasted a beer with a flavor or aroma any where near this.

This beer leaves an aftertaste like raspberrys. It is easy to drink, which is quite a surprise since it is so high in alcohol. This beer is also surprisingly smooth.

This beer would probably not make the best session beer. It is high in alcohol, and that would be a problem. Also, the flavor, although wonderful, is a little sewwt. It might be hard to drink too many. I am sure that I could drink more than 6.5 oz though.

Thank you very much thomashardy for hooking me up with this winner.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time but for many reasons I've never managed to get one of these bottles. Kudos to barefootbrewer for sending me a bottle of this fine elixir!

With 186 reviews as of this posting I'll take a different appraoch with this review. I will admit I don't care for raspberries. This beer however is soo good, so balanced, so wonderfully tasting that I have a new found respect for raspberries. So, I would drink this again quite happily, other raspberry creations... eh... I may try but no guaranties.

Get this if you get a chance to try it.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company