Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,250
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

Tastes like raspberry jam with an injection of booze. Decent but highly letdown by this one.

3.5/5  rDev -20.5%

2007 bottle thanks to my Secret Santa. Pours brown with just a ring of white head. Aroma is like a raspberry filled brownie with some boozy notes too. Flavor of medicinal raspberry with a chocolatey finish. Also some prunes and raisins. Top fruit beer? Not for me.

3.57/5  rDev -18.9%

Picked this up in a trade thanks to MasterSki.

A: Blah looking brownish red color with virtually no head.
S: I guess this is raspberries that I'm smelling, but it's a little off, and off-putting. Sweet toffee-like tones in here too. Very pungent.
T: Raspberry, caramel, toffee. Very sweet.
M: Pretty thick body, very little carbonation.
D: Low. As the bottle notes, this is a dessert beer.

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%

Split a bottle of this with slander and schoolteacher at Spuyten Duyvil. Yes, we each had a serving the size of a brandy pour, which is appropriate for this beer. Didn't take notes, but didn't need to. Taste it once, and you remember it forever. Glowing deep red, no head... OK maybe a little head. Smells like a fresh raspberry harvest, as if you were stomping around in a vat of raspberries and the aroma were permeating your senses. Tastes like a red velvet raspberry cake with chocolate truffles, or perhaps like one of those Jacques Torres chocolates filled with raspberry puree. In fact, put this inside of chocolates, and they'd sell like hotcakes, I bet. I found the taste to be a bit too much like a raspberry cordial, and not enough like a beer, but unique nonetheless. The mouthfeel is quite remarkable -- "pillowy" is the first word that came to mind. Just so soft in the mouth, almost makes you think you're eating a piece of cake. An after-dinner sipper to be sure, not drinkable by any means. If you had any more than the small bottle of this at a sitting, I predict a big headache for you. I would love to be able to revisit this one in, say, about 10 years.

3.6/5  rDev -18.2%

Pours a deep red-brown with no head and no lacing.

Scent is ok with raspberry initially coverd with brown sugar carmelized raisins and bread pudding. It all comes together to form a scent alongside the alcohol.

Taste is huge and bready with a red raspberry center then alcohol then raspberry again to finish it all off, but the alcohol is hidden in there somewhere. The carmel flavor holds on for quite a while. At 13.5 the alcohol really doesn't stand out all that much.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I would expect from the taste and the smell, smooth but still on the medium side. The carbination seemed just about right.

Drinkability is easy to define, good. I am somewhat impressed with the hiding of the alcohol.

Note: This beer was 12.59 for 6.3 oz. I liked it ok, but at that price sadly, I won't be having another.

3.6/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from tiny bottle dated 2004. Bought directly from the brewery in Warren, MI.

Color is deep burgandy, almost no head on top. Smells like raspberry mostly.

Taste is hard to describe. The raspberry juice flavor is there, but the background beer taste is difficult... I didn't like it all that much. But my wife loved it so it's hard to rate. Tasted like raspberry and dark chocolate with some alcohol mixed in. Some malt flavor but no hops.

Try it once if you must. I only tried it because it was so highly rated on BA.

3.62/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Mmmm. so this BA classic was one of the tried out beers at the RnH this afternoon.

Served in a tiny chalice sort-of cup, the tap pour was essentially headless and served to the very limit. Opaque and rather purplish black.

Smell may be the most generous bit of it. very frutti di bosco throughout, and it doesnt take a full nose dive to point it out. sweet to slightly astringent and if anything, strong.

Taste wise, however, this was disappointing. the overall feel is juicy- as in, the sweezed produce of the fruit. however, it is abundant, if not artificial. rather feels like a concentrate. plus the feel is fairly thin, and seemingly refreshing if not for how alcoholey and sugary it is.

Overall this is certainly not my top of the class. The beer may well not be bad but it does give off an artificial feel to it. Not my pint of beer.

3.62/5  rDev -17.7%

I believe thanks goes to randalld for this one. It's been in the cellar so long I simply can't remember. Bottle shared with another like minded BA.

2007 vintage

A: Dark plum red brown. No head, no lace. I certainly wasn't expecting any. Looks like melted chocolate syrup.

S: Wow! Super sweet raspberries and chocolate. I didn't realize there would be this much chocolate. That's pretty much all I can say. Just diabetically sweet syrup. No heat so that's a plus.

T: Pretty much more of the same. Super sweet chocolate and raspberries. That's it. This song is two notes. No room for anything else. Just a touch of heat. I suppose thats what three plus years will do.

M: Thick chewy body. Devoid of all carbonation.

D: Overall I guess I didn't know what to expect. I assumed it would be more raspberry and not as sweet. I'm actually glad I shared this. More than 3-4 ounces would have been way too much. Glad I had the chance to try it.

3.65/5  rDev -17%

a: This was a hazy, dark, murky, brown color with some amber orange highlights. Pours with a thin, short lived, light tan head.

s: Hmmm... not what I expected here at all. Smells like raspberry sorbet and, strangely, grape soda/cough syrup. Perhaps also some chocolate root beer? I'm intrigued.

t: Lots of raspberries here, certainly, but I also taste grapes as well. This has a heavy, dense quality to it. There is some musty, semi-sweet maltiness here as well. The finish is tart, a bit dry, and has a very very faint medicinal quality to it.

m: Thick to the point of being syrupy and quite still.

d: Thanks to TheBlackMallard for this unique oppurtunity. This to me tastes more like a raspberry liqueur than a raspberry beer. Tasty and interesting, this just wasn't for me. Yet another example of how audaciously creative American brewers can be. Keep 'em coming!

3.67/5  rDev -16.6%

This poured a dirty red to brown in color. The nose showed off lots of chocolate dipped raspberries. This is simillar in the medium-bodied palate that had nice richness. While this was an enjoyable beer, I do not quite get all the fuss. It was well-balanced yet fairly simple.

3.69/5  rDev -16.1%

2004 Bottle

Nice pretty beer that smells fantastic, but is very much a cordial. Treat is that way and you'll be happy, otherwise, your out of luck.

Impressive beer but not something I would drink when I would go to drink a beer. It's a drink in a small glass share with friends after dinner drink.

I don't know if I would go out of my way to find this again, but it was one of those famous beers that 'everyone' seems to think should be tried. So I did, and while I didn't dislike it, it's not my cup of tea...or beer.

3.72/5  rDev -15.5%

Miniature bottles courtesy of my boys SpencerDB, CaptainCougar, anyone else? So we tried 2004 and 2007. The pour is murky, muddy brown with low carbonation. Let me just say that this was not impressive whatsoever. Okay- it’s a slightly raspberry tangy super malt forward barleywine. I mean that is what this is. There is a lot of milk chocolate, raspberry chocolate, and it is just full of toffee. I mean it’s good but nothing that blew me out of the water. And that was the ’04. The ’07 literally tasted like broccoli. So- this is one that I’ll have to revisit. For now- meh. 7/4/6/3/12=3.2

Another 2007 bottle. Pours muddy, reddish brown and completely flat. Excellent aroma that is full of toffee, creme brulee, caramel, chocolate covered strawberries. Taste is tart, light, more raspberry character than I remember. Still thin bodied. 9/4/7/3/13=3.6

Photo of
3.72/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 Vintage. This is my second try, as the first bottle was bad. This one may be getting close to turning, but I chose to review it as a warning for others holding the 2004 vintage -- it may not be aging that well.

Hazy, deep burgundy color. Some light penetration, mostly at the edges. No head, no lacing, and, surprisingly, no legs.

Smell is very promising -- chocolate, honey/caramel, and raspberries as well as other dark fruits, such as figs and raisins. Faint hint of vinegar.

Taste departs a bit from smell. Quite tart, mainly the raspberry flavor, but that hint of vinegar comes back as well. Much more tart than sweet, overall. Touch of chocolate, bittersweet. Hint of caramel/toffee/butter.

Medium + body. No carbonation. A bit dry. Very silky/smooth texture.

This bottle was a big improvement over the first one I tried, but still not really my thing. For a fruity beer, this is very well done. For me at least, the smell led me to expect much more from the taste.

3.74/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a flute. Big thanks to OHLRangers for this treat. 2007 vintage.

3.5 A: Opaque deep reddish purple color. No head, but signs of carbonation exist. A bit of particulate junk falls to the bottom.

4.5 S: Strong raspberry as in a reduced raspberry puree. Almost like some sort of liquour, but without the super high alcohol. Surprisingly chocolatey as well. I guess maybe like a highly fruited raspberry chocolate cake. Really nice.

3.5 T: Taste isn't nearly as good as the nose. Tartness from the raspberry is there, but there isn't a ton of raspberry taste (unlike NG RT). Still pretty chocolatety, but not really that sweet, which is disappointing. I was hoping for something really sweet and fruity. A bit too much roasty bitterness as well. Alcohol is well hidden like in most Kuhnhenn brews. While this isn't bad, it doesn't live up to expectations.

3.5 M: Only a thickish medium body. I was hoping for more. Just a touch of carbonation, this would be better with more. Not as creamy of smooth as I'd like either.

3.5 D: Again, this isn't bad, but I was hoping for something really sweet and fruity, like a port or something. The way it is (this vintage anyway) isn't the way I would have envisioned a beer of this nature coming out. I'd love the try the 2004, but I doubt I ever will.

3.74/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to mymrnngjckt for the bottle!

2007 Vintage

Pours a dark raspberry brown with a thin ring of off-white foam. No lacing.

Juicy raspberries and currants on the nose, followed by rich chocolate and caramel. Sweet candy and chocolate. Almost cake-like. Great dessert nose.

The flavor really brings the raspberry fruit flavor to the front of everything, whereas in the nose it was more balanced. Less chocolate and caramel than the aroma, but more dark chocolate. Touch of astringency. Quite fruity with a hint of alcohol. After smelling the nose on this beer, the flavor seems somewhat lacking. Good, but not great.

Mouthfeel is substantial, yet feels bland. Light carbonation, but adequate. Feels like it could use more of something to open up the flavor.

Drinkability is above average. I loved the nose, but the rest of the beer didn't really live up to the hype. It was fun to try, but I wouldn't seek out another.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company