Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,269
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 436 | Hads: 1,099
4.59/5  rDev +5%

From 02/06/11 notes. Enjoyed this one right before the Superbowl. Poured from a 187ml bottle into a small tulip. Got in a trade with wunderbeer; thanks Ron, big want! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a murky reddish brown color with an inch of off white head and moderate to high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of raspberries, chocolate, caramel malts, sweet dark fruits, and roasted malts. Not tart at all, but sweet smelling. Smells absolutely amazing.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, chocolate, raspberries, dark fruits, sweet sugar. Really enjoyable.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink. Scary drinnkable considering the high ABV.

d - I thought this was an amazing beer. I loved the smell and thought this was insanely drinkable considering the high ABV. I loved the raspberry/caramel/chocolate combo in the smell and taste. Would love to get another bottle of this one. (899 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -11%

Had both the 2004 and 2007 vintages at a recent tasting. Thanks everyone, this was a long time curiosity for me. I feel as thought I had built it up in my mind a bit too much and was slightly let down. Eisbocks (bocks in general) are one of the styles I study a lot. This was an interesting example.

2004 - Beer was brown and clear with no carbonation, no head, no lacing. The aroma was strong full of malt and caramel. Definitely smell the raspberries and some chocolate? Wasn't expecting the chocolate smell. Lots of sweetness up front, raspberries come in late in the palate and are generally weak. Mostly a tart flavor from the raspberries. There is a lot of chocolate flavors in the midpalate regions. I find this flavor to be distracting and unnecessary. I find myself wishing that it was the malt and the berries without the chocolate. I know that the chocolate and the raspberry flavors pair well with food, but to stand the tart raspberry flavor next to the malt sweetness would have been great in my opinion.

2007 - Looks the same as the 2004, no head, no carbonation. The aroma is considerably stronger. Much more raspberries and the chocolate is still there. The flavor pops with a lot more raspberries. This is definitely my favorite out of the two. The sweetness from the malt is still there, the chocolate is less the star in this one. This beer is also thicker (it seems) than the 2004.

Overall, I'm glad I got to try them both. I'm not sure if I would seek it out again though. (1,497 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -1.8%

Big thanks to FooFaa for bringing this one to Ffej of July IX. If I had to guess I think it was an 07

A - Pours brownish red with a small half finger tall white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of chocolate covered raspberries with a few helping hints of toffee, vanilla, oak, and some warm booze. This one has a lot going on.

T - Starts off with an intense raspberry puree flavor quickly giving way to a mix of sweet chocolate, vanilla, dry oak tannins, and some warming booze. It is quite sweet but the other flavors help to keep in check as much as they can. The finish is a mix of sweetness and light booze, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick, smooth, feel with a good amount of booze still present.

O - This one is definitely a sipper but it is a very good one. It has so much flavor going on. It is a perfect desert beer, but that is truly its only fault, I doubt this would taste as good as it does paired with a big juicy steak. Glad I finally got to try it again. (1,048 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 Vintage

Poured into Ommegang Chalice.

Pours hardly any tan head. No retention obviously or lace for that matter. Color is very interesting. it is a ruby hued caramel brown.

Aroma: Wow, this is unlike anything I have smelt before. It has a big chocolate raspberry flavor going on, with some caramel mixed in. After is warms up just a little bit, the alcohol begins to appear. A very sweet beer with a big malt backbone. Unique.

Taste: Wow, this is the after dinner beer of after dinner beers. Huge chocolate raspberry flavor. Very fresh raspberries. I can definitely taste the bock portion of this beer as it is quick malty. Nice caramel texture to it. The aging produces a nice oak and vanilla taste in the background.

Mouthfeel: This beer is somewhat smooth, a little crisp, and a tad hot. Full boded with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer ends with a really clean aftertaste. This beer is an incredible sipper. Very thick and full.

Overall, this is a really unique beer. I like the combination of a bock and fresh raspberries. Very filling. At first I was a little disappointed with the mini bottle, but I soon realized that this bottle will be a perfect size. An amazing bock, or eisbock for that matter. (1,228 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this little 187 ml bottle.

2007 vintage. The beer pours a hazy brown color with a few bubbles but not real head. The aroma is a mix of brown sugar, chocolate, caramel, maple, alcohol and a little bit of raspberry. The flavor is different, with a ton of fruit and chocolate. This beer tastes like chocolate dipped raspberries. There is also some alcohol in the flavor. The beer is very sweet. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Wow, what a beer. So glad I got to try it. (503 characters)

4.37/5  rDev 0%

Review from notes, 2007 vintage. Thanks to Jay for opening this as a night cap.

A: Pours a very dark purple-red color that had no head or lacing whatsoever. Poured rather thick that had legs similar to wine when swirled.

S: Lots of raspberry and fruity aromas, slightly jammy with some cherry mixed in as well. I bit of faint chocolate, vanilla, and alcohol.

T: More raspberry and more plum than cherry mixed in. Definitely thick and vibrant fruit, but mixed with some light chocolatey/caramel flavors.

M: Full bodied, very thick with low carbonation. The alcohol shows itself, but doesn't detract from the beer.

O: Very impressive beer, would love to try the blueberry. (680 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%

A tiny 187ml green bottle. Sticker on the cap states this was bottled in December 2007. Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a hazed brown color with some ruby highlights. When held to the light, it shows a better clarity and deep ruby red coloration with some lighter orange around the edge. This brew looks still until it is swirled and a few bubbles come out of solution and sit around the top before collecting around the outside of the glass. A swirl provides faint spotty lacework and legs of alcohol slowly creep back down to the brew.

The smell is a huge blast of raspberry puree. Very strong with a raspberry sweetness that smells somewhat medicinal. The nose is a bit fusel with minor notes of chocolate malt hiding underneath the bold raspberry. As the brew warms up, the raspberry goes back and forth between characteristics that are almost candy-like with its sweet smell to more earthy and herbal with a more natural character. Once the brew hits room temperature, the chocolate comes out in full force and seemingly overtakes the once dominating raspberry character. What a fantastic experience to be able to let this brew evolve in my glass. Across the back is a faint sweetness somewhat like vanilla and spiced yeast indication but I am stretching. While this brew smells great, it is almost not even beer-like except for some chocolate malt notes.

The taste is tart, natural raspberry flavoring with a bold solvent kick of alcohol. There is a backing of chocolate malt present which adds a nice unexpected depth to this brew's flavor. Think alcoholic chocolate covered raspberry... that is exactly what this brew is. There is an herbal to earthy flavoring to this brew that seems like a combination of the raspberry addition mixed with herbal hops. There is a bit of a bitterness which is welcomed that counters the sweetness and bold alcohol nature of this brew. Only once this brew exceeds ideal temperatures do the first indications of this offering come out that this is in fact an eisbock. The expected spicy yeast flavors were completely hidden by the raspberry but they faintly come out once warm and provide an interesting accent to the raspberry flavor. Well done. This brew has a lasting flavor of chocolate residing in the mouth.

This is a full bodied brew with a light, enjoyable level of carbonation. It is a very good after dinner sipper that I fully enjoyed. Let's not kid ourselves, this is a 13+% brew and it hits hard as expected. The alcohol is not hidden but it is incorporated in a way that is every enjoyable and not distracting at all. I have been wanting to try this brew for awhile and I was expecting this to be a sweet mess. Color me impressed, this was not at all what I thought it would be, it was better. I actually enjoyed this brew even more than my review score would let you believe. I fault this brew for being so bold with fruit that I have a hard time accepting this as an eisbock. (2,943 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%

03/14/09- Received via a trade with former BA member Jetsbeer.

Presentation- Vintage 2004, smaller 6oz nip sized bottle with a wax coating over the cap and part of the neck. Poured into my JW Lees glass.

Appearance- Cherry-brown colored pour. A wee bit of sediment settles at the bottom of the glass. Seems pretty flat until a late surge of carbonation fizzes into a very small and slight head. Doesn't leave any lace to speak of behind. Not expecting visual miracles of a 5 year old beer of this style and abv.

Smell- At first the scent is a sweet nose of fresh suagred raspberries and cherries. After that, the dark chocolate and roasted malt comes into play. Combined with a slight barrel flavored woodsy taste and a bit of alcohol.

Taste- What a dessert beer this would be. Just like the nose, the raspberries and cherries come in first...very sugary, very smooth and very fresh tasting...no artificial flavors here. Then the large and I mean large dark chocolte flavor comes in and melds perfectly with the berries. Alcohol is present and swirls around with all the flavors. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is here and is a slight prickly in the first part of the sip and then turns to a lovely silky and smooth mouthfeel with a lasting dark chocolate covered rasperry flavor.

Drinkability- This is a classic beer. One of the most flavorful beers of any kind that I have had. Wish I had some kind of chocolate dessert to go along with this. Wish they would make this in a 12oz bottle. (1,498 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -6.9%

2004 & 2007 vintages side by side. Thanks Brad!

A: virtually flat and almost no lace. I must take into account the age and the style.

S: Chocolate, cherries (though I'm sure it must be raspberries I'm actually smelling), alcohol

T: Chocolate. I must admit, I wasn't expecting that. The chocolate was more pronounced in the 2004. There was little raspberry to speak of. Chocolate and alcohol dominate the majority of the taste profile.

M: smooth as is possible, given the huge ABV.

D: Great for sipping. A few ounces as a nightcap was a treat.

Notes: I'll seek this out again. Recommended. (597 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -8%

6.3oz 2004 bottle, Sampled September 2005
Pours with the faintest trace of carbonation that creates a very small ring of fine bubbles that bubble up from the etched marking at the bottom of my Duvel tulip. The beer is a hazy amber-red color that shows a thin wispy tan head when roused. The aroma is thick with raspberries, but there is a rich malty note to it that stops it from becoming pure raspberry. As I go in for a deeper smell of the aroma the rich maltiness of this beer becomes much more apparent. My nose has become used to the raspberry note and I now get rich concentrated notes of caramel, toffee, and a toasty maltiness underneath the dominant raspberry note. Actually the more I think about it the more it seems to smell like a raspberry flavored chocolate malt ball.

The beer is quite thick on the palate, yet it is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting. There is some sweetness here but it is malty sweet as opposed to the typical sugary sweetness that I was expecting. The thing that really lingers on the palate after the beer has been swallowed is the rich concentrated maltiness; notes of toffee and toasted biscuits. Because of the relative dryness of this beer, the raspberry flavor is not allowed to dominate as much as it could. The raspberry is certainly noticeable, but it is not too overwhelming. Actually after my first sip of this I was sorely disappointed the flavors just seemed to clash, and were quite jarring. It got better with subsequent sips though. The maltiness, as in the aroma, really reminds me of chocolate malt balls, definitely interesting.

Despite my first impression, I am definitely enjoying this beer. It is not cloying, like the New Glarus beers, and the raspberry notes are not overwhelming. In fact they are in a good balance with the rest of the beer. All of the flavors are concentrated and over-the-top, but none of them are out of whack with the rest of the beer. (1,929 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +6.9%

On Tap at Rattle $ Hum for their K. event. 2007 vintage in a glass.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock fills the glass with a dark shade of blood stain red with some burgundy colors abound. Not alot of foam on top, just some smallish bubbles, no stick.

Smell takes on two forms. This begins with a fresh raspberry scent that is both rich and potent. It's the main scent for 10 minutes or so. I go to the bathroom and come back, now all I can smell is deep chocolate and Raspberry in the back. A boatload of malts are all around.

Taste starts out with raspberry jam/paste/smuckers/puree whatever you want to call it. The description said raspberry juice was added in, either way I like it. This is indeed an Eisbock, a trifecta of malts make for other darker fruits to play, along with a sweet candy/caramel taste to jump in. Chocolate plays a big roll, more than I thought it would.

Feel is a big medium, approaching full. The liquid is semi coating for a few seconds but does not linger to long. Carb is mild and pleasant and holding this big beast down. Sweet but not cloying and not medicinal in any way.

Overall I enjoyed this one quite a bit and having it on tap is something I thought would never happened. It took about 30 minutes or so to down my 12oz's or so, so you cant drink a shit ton of it, but over a few hours damage can be done.

I mixed in some Bourbon Barrel 4th demensia Old ale to my last 5oz's or so and it worked like a charm. (1,446 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap baby at the Daze of the Devil fest at the HDG in NYC...I enjoyed 2 four ounce tasters of the sweet, intense, flavorful, viscous nectar, and this review is from my copious notes, this arrives cloudy dark plum, minor head and lacing. The nose is intensely and thrillingly of raspberries and powdered sugar. Sweet, intense, dense, complex, thick, rich and full on raspberries and malty goodness all the way through, Yumm. World class dessert beer. A treat on tap. (467 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%

2007 vintage poured from a 6.3oz bottle into my Dogfish snifter. It poured a deep red, slightly brown color with some faint traces of lacing scattered across the top. Not much carbonation is visible at all after the pour. The low carbonation feels very fitting for the style though.

The aroma has a lot of fresh raspberry to it. Chocolate and caramel add to the sweetness and desert like flavor it has. Decent amount of alcohol present but it doesn't seem out of place for what it is. It's almost like a liqueur type aroma to it.

The taste has a fantastic fresh raspberry flavor to it. Chocolate, caramel and toffee come out as well and really compliment the raspberry flavors. I get a bit of tartness to it as well, which helps it from becoming too sweet. The finish lingers very nicely with some more raspberry and chocolate flavors to it. The alcohol is pretty well hidden for how big the abv is.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and moderately syrupy with very low carbonation. Drinkability was very good as an after dinner desert beer. Perfect serving size as well, it's quite nice that this didn't come in a 750ml bottle. It's not something you want to drink a lot but a pretty perfect beer for after dinner this evening. I wish I had some vanilla ice cream to go with it. (1,287 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%

6.3 oz 2007 bottle generously sent by mbrasi. Green bottle with an upside down label and no wax. Poured into a Kuhnhenn tulip.

A vigorous pour produces a short lived and spotty cream/light mocha colored head that quickly fades to a ring of bubbles with quickly fading lacing. Liquid is a murky thick, turbid ruby brown. Not exceptional, but about what you'd expect for this style. Aroma is amazingly rich, complex and... decadent (I guess that works here). Smells unlike any other beer I've tried, alternating abundant malty chocolate, toffee and caramel notes, with earthy and seedy, slightly tart raspberry. Silky smooth thick bodied with a perfect amount of light carbonation and a ridiculously long lasting, balanced tart and sweet aftertaste. Flavor is an overwhelming menagerie of chocolate, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla, tart raspberry, earthy raspberry seeds, lemon, rum like alcohol, figs, raisins, sour fruits, etc. There is a slight medicinal quality to the flavor that keeps me from giving the flavor a perfect 5 (but that's a result of my own issues with Robitussin growing up, haha). Lives up to the hype for me, with nothing I can compare this to; the small bottle was the perfect size for me to enjoy. (1,218 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -10.5%

Pours a thick, syrup looking deep ruby/brown. Head tried to stand up, but failed to make it past a 1/2 finger. Off red color, no retention.
Chocolate and raspberries permiate the nose and leave nothing else to come through. Very rich, smells like a chocolate cheesecake with raspberries on top.
Tastes like it too. Baked dark chocolate and smushed raspberries. Hints of burnt caramel and wet grass.
Feels like syrup. Thick and gooey. Best for after dinner. Shared a small bottle. And that was enough. Very rich (514 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%

6 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 bottle.

Appearance - Thick sludgy pond water. No carbonation. Slight red tinge to the brown.

Smell - Milk chocolate and raspberry. Strong alcohol. Smells like a raspberry chocolate candy.

Taste - Much stronger raspberry flavor. Really chocolatey. Straight forward but excellent. Oxidation is present. Slightly bitter earthy flavor. Could be cardboard but it isn't offensive.

Mouthfeel - Very boozy. Still hot. No carbonation. Heavy.

Overall - This is incredibly good. Looking forward to the new one. (545 characters)

4.37/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Weissguy for giving me a chance to try this through a trade. Pours a brilliant ruby and is syrupy and without a head. smells like raspberry chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. Delicious! The taste adds a big caramel finish in addition to the raspberry and chocolate. There is a nice bitter finish to balance the sweetness and the raspberries taste fresh and wonderful. A little hot, but in a nice eau-de-vie way. Very smooth and even somewhat delicate in its mouthfeel. Surprisingly drinkable given the sweetness and high abv. This one I'm drinking is the 2007 and the bottle says it is 11.9%. Very nice! (615 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -3.4%

2007 vintage.

Pours a very dark ruby red color that's almost brown with plum colored edges and a thin beige ring that slowly fades. Not much in the way of lacing.

Sweet, slightly boozy aroma that surprisingly is still fruit forward after four years. Lots of sweet dark raspberry and other dark fruits along with some dark chocolate cake, caramel and toffee. Subtle medicinal/syrup quality.

Fuller bodied than expected with some soft carbonation and a really nice balance of sweet, syrupy fruit, silky dark malts and subtle boozy heat/sweetness. Similarly to the aroma, there is still a surprising amount of juicy raspberry and other dark fruit notes. Faint tartness with some cranberry before being countered by hits of chocolate cake, caramel and toffee. Slightly syrupy but this doesn't hurt the mouthfeel much. A nice boozy warmth in the finish but the high ABV is excellently masked with only little heat. This beer is dangerously drinkable at this stage so 6.3oz is a perfect serving. Complex with a good amount of raspberry still in there. The perfect drink for after a huge holiday meal. (1,100 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +10.8%

I've been hanging on to a few of these bottles for special occasions. Decided to pop one with the recent birth of my new baby daughter.
Appears a dark, turbid brown with a ruby hue when held up to the light. The tiny, off white head quickly fizzles out into a collar that also fades out into this special brew.
Smell is better than anticipated. Rich, malty, chocolaty fudge with brown sugar, caramel notes, vanilla, and a heavy drizzling of a thick, raspberry reduction infused with cocoa powder.
Taste is of the same outstanding aromatics, making this a winner among many winners. Flavors are of a confectioner's heaven that combines the sugary notes of cocoa, brown sugar, caramel, vanilla, and raspberries that have been flambed with an alcohol blend highlighted with Rum. This is like an after dinner brandy, or cognac.
Mouthfeel is rich, smooth, balanced with the sugars, and non-cloyingly delicious.
Jesus God...if this is what heaven is, I'll make a concerted effort to get my ass to church more often. This is heavenly and addictive. Kuhnhenn is set to take over the world 6.3 oz's at a time! F'in great stuff.
Thanks to walleye for supplying this. (1,162 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +1.6%

2007 Bottling 6.7oz

Pours a slightly cloudy dark purple with a minimal head that disappears almost instantly. The nose is very fruity as would be expected, lots of raspberry's, dark caramelized malts, alcohol. Smell is very sweet almost like raspberry liqueur. Taste is fruity, malty with an alcohol bit that lingers on in the finish. Very tasty, like a port but sweeter. This one is definitely a sipper. The body is thick, the mouthfeel is sticky, carbonation is low. Great sipping beer or nightcap. I need to try more from this brewery! (539 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10.3%

6.3 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

2004 vintage.

Pours a hazy thick reddish brown beer.

Smell is very sweet chocolate and caramel and raspberries. Spicy scents of vanilla, black pepper, truffles and cherry on the alcohol fumes. Smells like expensive chocolates.

Taste is lots of raspberries and chocolate with a little tartness from the berries. Super richness here I almost feel like I could eat this as a pudding. I am forced into small sips to savor the flavor of this. Long lasting raspberry flavor that takes a good 5 minutes to die off. The flavor is all chocolate and raspberries here.

Mouthfeel is pudding thick.

Crazy drinkable beer that was the PERFECT beer for Christmas! (739 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +9.2%

From an old review note:

Poured into a snifter, the beer is light brown with a ruby tint. It's almost still, with just a very small head. No retention or lacing.

The aroma is very rich. Sweet raspberries and chocolate. It's hard to find any malt or hops under the rich fruit aroma. A hint of alcohol is present in the nose. The flavor is of sweet, ripe raspberries and bittersweet dark and white chocolate. Toffee and caramel are both present. The finish is long, sweet, and complex. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden.

Medium bodied with low carbonation. What a desert beer! (580 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +9.6%

Have been wanting to "tic" this off my most desired list for some time. So many thanks to Ben (GormanB) for the chance to finally try this beauty.

The label lists the brewed date (2007) and release date (12/10) on the label. Trying to remember the last brewery I encountered that had a 3 year old beer as their current release.

The beer pours a gorgeous rose, raspberrry coolaide color into my corsendonk chalice/tulip. There are hints of amber among the rose/raspberry color as well, and the beer shows pretty good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose... my, my, my... the aroma profile is just gorgeous, with raspberry (quite a bit of it), chocolate caramel, roses and tootsie roll. This beer just smells like the epitome of beer dessert (perhaps the Yquem of beerdom? if not that, certainly the Beaume de venise). The flavor profile is every bit as good, and might be even more complex, with an intensity of flavor that is astonishing. In any event, I get heavy cream, caramel and milk chocolate, along with everything I noted previously in the aroma profile. There's also a hint of bitterness in the finish, which helps to buoy all the sweetness. Sooo goood. Mouthfeel is full, with a long, sweet, rich, chocolate and fruit infused finish. Yet despite its richness, this beer is not at all cloying or otherwise heavy on the palate. I do get a sense that the alcohol is up there a bit in this one, and so I guess I wouldn't want a whole lot of this, but it was so delicious... it was hard to refrain from just gulping it right down. Also, while there is a slight sense of heat from the alcohol in the finish, given the sweetness and 13.5%, that's kind of expected. The label does not list the abv., and I figured it was in the 9% or 10%, but nothing like the 13.5% I see now. Also have to say that I really love how the raspberry flavor really goes on and on in the finish, yet never seem overdone or excessively sweet.

Absolutely superb and clearly a brewing tour de force. Excellent stuff. (2,007 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%

My most gratious thanks to Frozensoul 327! Erik, I am in your debt!

6.3oz bottle, 2004 vintage. A thick coating of deep red wax seals the cap. The wax itself smells like raspberries! I saved this, my first time trying the KRE, for a beautiful, warm, sunny Sunday afternoon - March 11, 2007. Earlier this morning the clocks went ahead and we gained an hour of sunlight. The spring is almost here and I've waited very patiently for it. What better way to both usher it in (with raspberries) and usher out the winter (with eisbock)...

Pours rather flat but with miniscule bubbles that line the top parts of the outside of the glass. A deep shaded colour, offers no real highlights even directly to the light. A swirl can generate some mocha coloured trim. No lacing of course but does leave legs (understandable for the high graivty). At some angles you might catch a glimpse of tawny chestnut, but nothing overly pretty.
The aroma is more so that of an eisbock with the fruit very diminished behind a huge malt base. Sticky notes with large presence (but no alcohol) in the smell. Notes of dried fruits like raisons or plums, distant hops, a rich caramel and dark chocolate, a slight (wood) spruce like note, and an incredible amount of malts!
The flavours hit with the malt at first and the raspberry subtely coating the mouth in a long, lasting finish. Very unaggresive (obscenely so considering the alcohol percentage) which goes all but undetectable. Very silky smooth. Flavours are highly subjective, I could see picking out about anything from such a deep, complex profile. What I find most predominant is a strong chocolate caramel flavour. The raspberry compliments the caramel malts so well but always stays secondary. A little more medicinal as it warmed, but this lovely taste just floats around the mouth for a very long time after...
A perfect after dinner, along side desert sipper. This bottle, at 2+ years is holding up fantastic but I would love to try this fresh. Certainly worth the high price for this experience. I may have to lower my marks of other eisbocks.
Why does this bottle have to be so small? This truly is something unique and world class. (2,182 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +4.6%

On draft at The Blind Tiger, NYC.

Poured a medium amber hue with a one finger frothy white head. There was good retention and decent lacing.

The smell mimmiced perfectly a raspberry linzer tart.

The taste featured a sweet fruity raspberry, some doughy malts and a light medicinal element toward the finish.

The mouthfeel was full and relatively smooth considering the ABV.

Overall a superior and unique drinking experience. Highly recommended. (452 characters)

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company