Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,234
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros

JAHMUR, Nov 14, 2011
4.41/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

a really one of a kind bottle of beer here. all the thanks in the world to thebrewo for hooking this one up for me via trade. the pour is the least impressive feature, with brown and red meeting in the middle in terms of color, and only paltry carbonation resulting in almost no head. it looks more like a glass of wine, which is okay in this context. the nose hits like a freight train, super fresh raspberries abound. not like, genetically modified grocery store berries, but fresh picked off the pricker bush, middle of august berry. there is also some bitter cocoa in there too, giving the scent of chocolate covered fruit. the alcohol does have an aroma, but it isn't nearly as biting as one would expect in a beer over 15% abv. the flavor is a glorious combination of raspberries and chocolate and wood. I get so much organic fruit, not syrups or extracts, but straight up farmers market. the chocolate creeps in slowly, and is more like bakers chocolate than anything else. there is some sweetness from the berries as well as from the middle of the road malt profile. the alcohol isn't tasted until the very finish, but then becomes quite hot. as the beer warms, the alcohol becomes even more potent, but the beer still finishes with a drying feeling. carbonation is underwhelming, but that's indicative of the style more than anything, and the body is plenty big. its certainly a bottle to share, but one of the more enjoyable fruit beers I can ever remember drinking. thanks again to thebrewo for making this experience possible. its a trip in a glass.

StonedTrippin, May 06, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Thanks to BA ThomasHardy for the sample.

Cute little 6.3 oz wax topped green bottle with the vintage date of 2004 on it.

A- Thin fizzy off-white head, never really expect much here being a higher alcohol brew. I carefully decanted this beer to leave the sediment behind, this leaves a hazy brownish garnet hue brew in the glass.

S- Big fruity tartness in the nose, suggestions of faint raspberry brandy come to mind with a deep and complex maltiness underneath.

T&M- So smooth, amazingly smooth and very creamy in the back-end. Thick malty body with layers of sweet and toasted maltiness within. The raspberry character add complex levels of tartness and sweetness that meld perfectly with a strong alcohol.

D- Oh Mama ... I could sip this all night long. Sadly I only had 6.3 oz. :-(

Jason, Dec 07, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2004 release, acquired via trade from nothertimber, so a big “thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 6.3oz bottle into a flute glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with almost no head and even less lacing.

S: Strong aroma of raspberry, with a background of dark chocolate & caramel. There’s some alcohol detected as well, that’s to be expected with a beer with this high of an ABV.

T: Sweet raspberry & chocolate flavor coats your mouth as you drink it. Out of habit I started out taking larger sips, but then I realized that taking smaller sips seemed to bring out the flavor much more. There’s a mild alcohol warmth, but not as strong as the smell leads you to believe, nor does it seem like it’s even close to the 13.50% ABV. The raspberry sweetness sticks around in a faint after-taste.

M: Extremely smooth and viscous, very low carbonation, medium-to-heavy body, finish is only slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, not very filling and fact that the ABV is expertly disguised makes this beer dangerously drinkable. It’s a sipper, but I sipped it very quickly.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 12, 2006
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

First off, I can understand why this comes in 6.5 ounce bottles. Second off, wow.

Pours a ruby tint with absolutely no head. Nose is total raspberry funk with what seems like almost a plastic type of character to it. Flavor is strong raspberry with thick malts. I never really felt that alcohol was present flavor wise. Feel is a bit thicker on liquid and low on carbonation. I also get a slight gritty kind of edge. Not so much that it ruins the experience, but enough to notice. I kind of take it like it is one step below being too much. If it was pushed any further, it wouldn't work. But overall, it does work since it is so damn unique. I have to say that two ounces of this would probably be good enough for me unless I had a long while to really dwell on the bottle or in this case what was served to me off the tap.

RblWthACoz, Dec 31, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to googzoid10 for letting me try one I've been wanting for a while!

Mine is 11.9% ABV from 07

Pours a very still chestnut with minimal head & an oily sheen. Not much lacing or head retention

S: Raspberries & oaky notes

T: Raspberries, chocolate, leafy hops a kiss of booze up front. Dark fruit mixes in as this warms, plus a touch of dryness, plus more raspberry & chocolate. Finishes dry, tart & very truffle-like, also with figs & port notes

MF: Chewy, very dry with minimal carbonation & very warming

Great drinkability, it's complexity draws you in & the ABV is barely noticeable. Over-priced at a $1.60 an ounce perhaps, but a bloody marvelous indulgence! Better than my overall score, but I have set standards on appearance (although I think 20% is too much weight)...

russpowell, Dec 22, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Review #200. Figured I'd dip into the cellar and pull out a 2004 vintage of KRE. Served in a flute.

A - Wow - I actually got some foam; maybe a eight of an inch of tan head that stuck around for about thirty seconds and left no lacing. Lots of visible carbonation on the sides of the glass, with little bubbles making their way to the top. Murky raisin brown color with some obvious suspended solids - it doesn't scream raspberry in the same way that Raspberry Tart does. All things aside though, it looks pretty good for a 13.5% brew - I wasn't expecting a lot.

S - Raspberry purée and cheesecake, dark chocolate, caramel, candied fruit, port, vanilla, a slight oakiness, and a hint of the high ABV. The smell is huge, even when chilled. It's incredibly delicious!

T - The taste has more tartness and is a little more restrained compared to the overwhelming sweetness in the nose. As you'd expect, tons of raspberry, substantial amounts of molasses, brown sugar, milk chocolate, and maybe a hint of tobacco as well. Again, the alcohol is ridiculously well hidden.

M - This bottle I opened had surprising carbonation to it - especially compared to how I remember it on-tap. I actually like the tingle though, as it complements the tangy flavor raspberries. The body is medium, but incredibly sticky. I shudder to think how much sugar is in this, and how ridiculous the caloric content per oz is - it's probably up there with the most decadent desserts. It's maybe a little lighter than I'd like for such a high ABV beer, but otherwise it's quite appropriate. Nice warming sensation after a while as well.

D - Kudos to the brewery for selling this in 6.3oz bottles - the sweetness and high ABV would defeat me if the serving size was significantly larger. Tremendously ideal for a dessert replacement/complement, or for a celebration, but not so much for sessions.

I'm really glad my 2004 bottle was still good, especially considering the hit & miss nature of Kuhnhenn bottling (and some of the other reviews of the '04 vintage posted here).
I didn't sense a huge difference between this and the '07 (although I didn't directly A-B them).

MasterSki, Apr 15, 2009

XmnwildX12, Dec 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

oline73, Nov 12, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Had both the 2004 and 2007 vintages at a recent tasting. Thanks everyone, this was a long time curiosity for me. I feel as thought I had built it up in my mind a bit too much and was slightly let down. Eisbocks (bocks in general) are one of the styles I study a lot. This was an interesting example.

2004 - Beer was brown and clear with no carbonation, no head, no lacing. The aroma was strong full of malt and caramel. Definitely smell the raspberries and some chocolate? Wasn't expecting the chocolate smell. Lots of sweetness up front, raspberries come in late in the palate and are generally weak. Mostly a tart flavor from the raspberries. There is a lot of chocolate flavors in the midpalate regions. I find this flavor to be distracting and unnecessary. I find myself wishing that it was the malt and the berries without the chocolate. I know that the chocolate and the raspberry flavors pair well with food, but to stand the tart raspberry flavor next to the malt sweetness would have been great in my opinion.

2007 - Looks the same as the 2004, no head, no carbonation. The aroma is considerably stronger. Much more raspberries and the chocolate is still there. The flavor pops with a lot more raspberries. This is definitely my favorite out of the two. The sweetness from the malt is still there, the chocolate is less the star in this one. This beer is also thicker (it seems) than the 2004.

Overall, I'm glad I got to try them both. I'm not sure if I would seek it out again though.

drabmuh, Jan 25, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

Lovely 500 ml bottle shared with mentor, who provided, bless his heart.

Beautiful cocoa head, deep magenta hue, edging on brown...looks like a bockish brown, but shows crimson aspects, as well.

Vast aromatics...cream & cognac....angelic...sweetness, light and lively, matched with the power of booze. Raspberry flavor is shy at first, but peeks out eventually (in aroma and taste)...
...which is where we're going next...tastes like brandy at first, until raspberry slips through, under the coat of çognac...and the result is utterly unheard of ...a graceful, powerful thing, some nuts, chocolate charge the palate elegantly...a sublime sipper and a rich elixir, all at once.
After further examination, "absolutely gorgeous" is good as I can get, for now...uncanny, this balance, this magnificent marriage, and this perfect play of flavors, that harmonizes to create a gentle blend that delivers a rare, unheard-of experience in the flavor, and all throught the experience.
Fantastic balance: never too strong, too dark, too rich, just right...slick, yet graceful, not sickly, not treacly, somehow just the perfect match of a strong dark lager and the raspberry flavor, with enchanting yeast...a magical match of cookie + fruit + liquor.
There's a slight bite, a bit of hops, then all is mellow, you never really feel the 13%, it's a sly, subtle sophisticated combination.
Full-bodied, yet not fulsome, and wholly memorable. Unique among beers, this has a flavor and a transcendent effect not felt in many other beers.
They did their work well at Kuhnhenn, and crafted a masterpiece...a $30 bottle masterpiece, though? Ehhh???
Definitely a special occasion beer, and after-dinner dessert brew, only for revelling and toasting, something to mellow the mood and usher in an unheard of feeling among all in company...not an any-old-day beer, by any means.

feloniousmonk, Jun 11, 2005

mendvicdog, Nov 12, 2013
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks a bunch to Zack for sharing this one! I've been wanting to try this, but just never (until now)had the opportunity.

2012 vintage (I think?)

Thick, dark pour, black cherry color, minimal head (though a slight ringlet briefly retained), alcohol legs on the glass as opposed to lacing. Aroma was thick with raspberry and chocolaty malts, molasses, raw cake batter, some brandy-like booze heat, distant and non-offensive phenols. Nice lush flavor, raspberry jam with traces of tartness, Tootsie Rolls, caramel, dark malts, but little to no roast in there--it's just too sweet for that--somewhat earthy with a very subtle bitterness coming out as the beer warmed, brandy/cordial/[minor solventy] booziness not held back, although for only being a year old, I didn't find this hot at all. Felt in the head more than on the palate, I guess would be one way of describing it. Mouthfeel was smooth, body was full, sweet, but I wouldn't call it cloying at all. Very nice melding of flavors between the raspberry and thick/distilled malts.

I don't think I'd pay top dollar or trade away whalezbro to obtain this beer, but it was definitely a nice experience, and I hope to come across it again sometime.

Rifugium, Jul 04, 2013
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

From 02/06/11 notes. Enjoyed this one right before the Superbowl. Poured from a 187ml bottle into a small tulip. Got in a trade with wunderbeer; thanks Ron, big want! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a murky reddish brown color with an inch of off white head and moderate to high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of raspberries, chocolate, caramel malts, sweet dark fruits, and roasted malts. Not tart at all, but sweet smelling. Smells absolutely amazing.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, chocolate, raspberries, dark fruits, sweet sugar. Really enjoyable.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink. Scary drinnkable considering the high ABV.

d - I thought this was an amazing beer. I loved the smell and thought this was insanely drinkable considering the high ABV. I loved the raspberry/caramel/chocolate combo in the smell and taste. Would love to get another bottle of this one.

mdfb79, Feb 07, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

beernads, Jul 02, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this little 187 ml bottle.

2007 vintage. The beer pours a hazy brown color with a few bubbles but not real head. The aroma is a mix of brown sugar, chocolate, caramel, maple, alcohol and a little bit of raspberry. The flavor is different, with a ton of fruit and chocolate. This beer tastes like chocolate dipped raspberries. There is also some alcohol in the flavor. The beer is very sweet. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Wow, what a beer. So glad I got to try it.

Mora2000, Jun 10, 2010

Rochefort10nh, Dec 08, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

drewone, Apr 17, 2013

6.3oz 2004 bottle, Sampled September 2005
Pours with the faintest trace of carbonation that creates a very small ring of fine bubbles that bubble up from the etched marking at the bottom of my Duvel tulip. The beer is a hazy amber-red color that shows a thin wispy tan head when roused. The aroma is thick with raspberries, but there is a rich malty note to it that stops it from becoming pure raspberry. As I go in for a deeper smell of the aroma the rich maltiness of this beer becomes much more apparent. My nose has become used to the raspberry note and I now get rich concentrated notes of caramel, toffee, and a toasty maltiness underneath the dominant raspberry note. Actually the more I think about it the more it seems to smell like a raspberry flavored chocolate malt ball.

The beer is quite thick on the palate, yet it is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting. There is some sweetness here but it is malty sweet as opposed to the typical sugary sweetness that I was expecting. The thing that really lingers on the palate after the beer has been swallowed is the rich concentrated maltiness; notes of toffee and toasted biscuits. Because of the relative dryness of this beer, the raspberry flavor is not allowed to dominate as much as it could. The raspberry is certainly noticeable, but it is not too overwhelming. Actually after my first sip of this I was sorely disappointed the flavors just seemed to clash, and were quite jarring. It got better with subsequent sips though. The maltiness, as in the aroma, really reminds me of chocolate malt balls, definitely interesting.

Despite my first impression, I am definitely enjoying this beer. It is not cloying, like the New Glarus beers, and the raspberry notes are not overwhelming. In fact they are in a good balance with the rest of the beer. All of the flavors are concentrated and over-the-top, but none of them are out of whack with the rest of the beer.

Gueuzedude, Sep 08, 2005
4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

03/14/09- Received via a trade with former BA member Jetsbeer.

Presentation- Vintage 2004, smaller 6oz nip sized bottle with a wax coating over the cap and part of the neck. Poured into my JW Lees glass.

Appearance- Cherry-brown colored pour. A wee bit of sediment settles at the bottom of the glass. Seems pretty flat until a late surge of carbonation fizzes into a very small and slight head. Doesn't leave any lace to speak of behind. Not expecting visual miracles of a 5 year old beer of this style and abv.

Smell- At first the scent is a sweet nose of fresh suagred raspberries and cherries. After that, the dark chocolate and roasted malt comes into play. Combined with a slight barrel flavored woodsy taste and a bit of alcohol.

Taste- What a dessert beer this would be. Just like the nose, the raspberries and cherries come in first...very sugary, very smooth and very fresh tasting...no artificial flavors here. Then the large and I mean large dark chocolte flavor comes in and melds perfectly with the berries. Alcohol is present and swirls around with all the flavors. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is here and is a slight prickly in the first part of the sip and then turns to a lovely silky and smooth mouthfeel with a lasting dark chocolate covered rasperry flavor.

Drinkability- This is a classic beer. One of the most flavorful beers of any kind that I have had. Wish I had some kind of chocolate dessert to go along with this. Wish they would make this in a 12oz bottle.

GClarkage, Mar 15, 2009

wrightst, Jun 22, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

imperialking, Dec 08, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Big thanks to FooFaa for bringing this one to Ffej of July IX. If I had to guess I think it was an 07

A - Pours brownish red with a small half finger tall white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of chocolate covered raspberries with a few helping hints of toffee, vanilla, oak, and some warm booze. This one has a lot going on.

T - Starts off with an intense raspberry puree flavor quickly giving way to a mix of sweet chocolate, vanilla, dry oak tannins, and some warming booze. It is quite sweet but the other flavors help to keep in check as much as they can. The finish is a mix of sweetness and light booze, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick, smooth, feel with a good amount of booze still present.

O - This one is definitely a sipper but it is a very good one. It has so much flavor going on. It is a perfect desert beer, but that is truly its only fault, I doubt this would taste as good as it does paired with a big juicy steak. Glad I finally got to try it again.

orangesol, Jul 11, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

6.3 oz 2007 bottle generously sent by mbrasi. Green bottle with an upside down label and no wax. Poured into a Kuhnhenn tulip.

A vigorous pour produces a short lived and spotty cream/light mocha colored head that quickly fades to a ring of bubbles with quickly fading lacing. Liquid is a murky thick, turbid ruby brown. Not exceptional, but about what you'd expect for this style. Aroma is amazingly rich, complex and... decadent (I guess that works here). Smells unlike any other beer I've tried, alternating abundant malty chocolate, toffee and caramel notes, with earthy and seedy, slightly tart raspberry. Silky smooth thick bodied with a perfect amount of light carbonation and a ridiculously long lasting, balanced tart and sweet aftertaste. Flavor is an overwhelming menagerie of chocolate, toffee, brown sugar, vanilla, tart raspberry, earthy raspberry seeds, lemon, rum like alcohol, figs, raisins, sour fruits, etc. There is a slight medicinal quality to the flavor that keeps me from giving the flavor a perfect 5 (but that's a result of my own issues with Robitussin growing up, haha). Lives up to the hype for me, with nothing I can compare this to; the small bottle was the perfect size for me to enjoy.

yourefragile, Jul 17, 2010