Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,229
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros

Chingringo, Apr 14, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +4.3%

Big thanks to Kris for the chance to sample this offering that is so rare in our area.

Aroma: Big, dark fruit esters and warming alcohohl notes up front. Syrupy and carmel-like sweetness dominate the nose.

Appearance: Dirty brown pour with red hues. A low off white foam stand that fades quickly. Tan lacing clings to the sides.

Flavor: Raspberry pie with carmel drizzle. Wonderful blend of deep dark fruits and estery alcohol flavors. A slight raspberry puckering sensation that is well knit with the carmel and fruit base.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body with low carbonation. Slightly slick and chewy with warming alcohol on the back of the palate.

Overall impression: A big, malty, fruit beer. I'm not sure I could drink this all the time but what a splendid, well-made treat! Three cheers for Kris for the opportunity to try this rare beer.

mattcrill, Sep 19, 2008

Rand_ale_Thor, Apr 01, 2013
4.23/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A big thanks to mjmadsen21 to trading this for me in person. We cracked open the bottle right away! Poured into a wine-goblet glass from a 12oz bottle. No bottling or freshness date, but does this need one??

Pours a beautiful, jewel ruby-red appearance that immediately brought me back to my glory days of finding Cantillon krieks everywhere in Europe. There was surprisingly some head (as well as any carbonation AT ALL) that cascaded into the glass, that produced a little bit of light soda carbonation that quickly dissipated as it sat around. Eventually all of the bubbles disappeared, but the ruby color stuck around to give this the look of either a lightly tinged dessert wine or fruit based liqueur. Very viscous. Alcohol legs are enormous. Transcends the eisbock style here - this is a world-class looking fruit infused beer!

The aroma is definitely chock-filled with raspberries, but there's definitely all kinds of wild nuances going on here. First, on the subject of raspberries, this smells like a cross between a fresh batch of raspberries that you open up right out of the box, with a semi-tarty yet candied feel. Otherwise, this ranges to the candied, sweetened raspberry flavor, filled with lots of powdered sugar, as well as traces of milk chocolate, grassy hoppy notes, near brandy-based booziness... Not really a sour or a sweetened fruit beer, but rather something that folds the envelope. There's a lightly tinged, near rustic graininess, but otherwise the candied raspberries and grassy texture are the ones winning here. Slightly stinging, but otherwise really unlike anything I've caught thus far.

The flavor is definitely sweet and candied, but it's still very bearable and fascinating, especially considering what's going on in this beer. First off, the fact that this is a lager immediately reveals itself in the flavor, with its crisp body, cracked grainy feel found in pilsners, as well as lack of heaviness on the subject of malts. Secondly, the raspberries continue to be pervasive in a candied yet juicy manner to the point of adding character to otherwise doomed style that eisbocks tend to be. Finally, the ABV is dangerously well hidden, yet eventually creeps its way around to add an extra character similar to fortified wines that accentuates the fruity notes in a rather satisfying way. There's a toasted malty flavor here, believe it or not. I also am a sucker for sweet, syrupy, fruit-focused stuff, as it seems, as this ranges to being a raspberry liqueur despite it having the crisp, highly drinkable qualities of any great lager. Unbelievable that this is above 15% in alcohol. I can barely taste it - although I do get a little bit of heat as it warms.

Really unique and refreshing, although I'm glad I split this with someone else, in the end. Don't go in thinking this is a sour or anything - this is a combination of a strong lager with a raspberry liqueur first and foremost. And yet, there's a candied flavor and grassy, rustic nature that makes this really interesting in the long run. It's definitely sweet, but it has these funky aromas and juicy character found in doppelbocks and sweetened Lambics that makes it unlike anything I've had. Definitely an alcoholic monster, though, so watch how you handle it. Absolutely worth a try.

magictacosinus, Apr 30, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

When I first heard about this beer I knew I had to have it. I was fortunate enough to sample it at the 2008 BA EBF and it didn't let me down. I want to thank tayner and mikesgroove for this special treat.

187 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 Vintage.

Pours a dark ruby with a thin layer of brown head that quickly disappears. Tiny bubbles remain here and there with bits of legging when you swirl the glass. Smell is one of a kind. Dark chocolate, ripe raspberries, fresh strawberries, and caramel covered apples. Smooth whip cream and a hint of booze in the nose as well. I could sit here and smell this beauty forever, but that's not what beer is for ;) Flavor is raspberries and creamy caramel, go figure. A very nice blueberry sweetness compliments perfectly. Maple and chocolate syrup combine for even more amazing tastes. The alcohol stings slightly as it flows down the throat, but it's 11.9% people, what did you expect? Mouthfeel is thick and sticky with a higher than expected carbonation. Perfect after dinner treat. What a wonderful beer experience. I urge all BA's to get your hands on this Kuhnhenn gem.

BeerTruth, Mar 28, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -7.7%

I got this one is a recent trade with 6DaysBottomOcean. Thanks again! This one is the 2007 vintage and poured into an chalice. The body is a really deep reddish brown color with just a thin fizzy head that vanishes almost instantly. The color on this is absolutely gorgeous. I have never smelled a beer lit this before. Certainly unique. Raspberry jam soaked in sherry with a honey cookie kind of aroma. Lots of sweetness in this one. The taste is a bit less sweet than the aroma. Tart raspberries to begin with the sweetness in the finish. Mostly tart fruit in this one and just bit of caramel flavor in the finish with the raspberry sweetness. The mouthfeel is silky with low carbonation that is just about perfect. It's tough to say this is very drinkable because of the high avb (even though it is well hidden) and the rich nature of the beer but sharing such a tiny bottle is perfect for me.

Bendurgin, Nov 15, 2010

cfrances33, Apr 15, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

6.3oz bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 vintage. Huge thanks to thabigmp for sharing this amazing beer. My first Eisbock and Kuhnhenn.

A: Dark brown with deep red highlights. Very hazy. Very small head that fades quick and leaves hardly any lace. But I wasn't expecting much with 13.5%ABV.

S: Amazing. Chocolate covered raspberries. Very creamy smell. A touch of alcohol. A surprising cheesecake aroma.

T: Just like a chocolate raspberry cheesecake, and boy do I love cheesecake. Very sweet without being to sweet. No alcohol is perceptible at all.

M: Full bodied. Light carbonation. Very creamy and chewy. Rich.

O: An amazing beer! Not a whole lot to say except if you get a chance to try it don't pass it up.

doughanson78, Oct 15, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

6.3 oz. bottle - 2004 edition. Thanks to Frozensoul327 for the bottle.

Pours a dark mahogany brown with some reddish hues. Has a small tan head that recedes to the edge of the glass.

Smell is sweet and malty with a hint of raspberry and a light cocoa scent. A bit of alcohol is present.

The flavor in this beast is like no other. Sweet and malty with a big raspberry taste upfront. This is followed by a rich cocoa taste combined with even more raspberries. Finishes with a lingering sweet fruitiness and just a hint of alcohol.

Big chewy body, low carbonation.

This beer lives up to the billing. It is very drinkable, but you really have to sip and savor it to get the most out of it. It is certainly something special, and I am glad I had the opportunity to try it.

MaltyGoodness, May 03, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -4.8%

cracked this baby open to celebrate the birth of our first child. Poured a dark crimson red, with a short tan head. some big chunks floating in my glass. Head stays put for the duration and becomes creamier, which is nice. Smells of thick raspberries, notes of chocolate, alcohol obvious but not off-putting. Huge sour raspberry taste, but offset by an equally huge chocolate malt presence that balances it perfectly. Alcohol lends a touch of bitterness to the raspberry. Finish is a nice bitter chocolate with hints of fruit. Thick and sticky, full bodied and decadent. Drinks great, though becomes slightly cloying towards the end of it. I think the bottle size is appropriate, even for splitting between two people.

aforbes10, Apr 01, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

2007 nip bottle.

A: clear, deep copper color
S: a bit sweet but also hints of tannins, oak, vanilla, very good, not overly cloying
T: I would never have expected this beer to be this good, sweet but well-balanced and good hop bitterness, more vanilla and caramel than raspberry, well done!
M: again, smooth, easy drinking
D: ditto

wisrarebeer, Jan 31, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

brycevolk, Oct 22, 2012

BlissJunkie, Jul 22, 2013
4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time but for many reasons I've never managed to get one of these bottles. Kudos to barefootbrewer for sending me a bottle of this fine elixir!

With 186 reviews as of this posting I'll take a different appraoch with this review. I will admit I don't care for raspberries. This beer however is soo good, so balanced, so wonderfully tasting that I have a new found respect for raspberries. So, I would drink this again quite happily, other raspberry creations... eh... I may try but no guaranties.

Get this if you get a chance to try it.

barleywinebrewer, Jul 09, 2008
4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

My final beer at the Rattle n Hum's Kuhnhenn event. This one was poured in an 8oz champagne flute style glass.

Raspberry Eisbock pours a deep fusion of amber and plum, with surprising clarity. A thin bone colored head briefly sits atop the beer, but quickly vanishes to nothing. The nose is entirely one note, but incredibly alluring.The beer smells like fresh raspberries soaked in a very small amount of brandy. The flavor doesn't add much, but nonetheless, the result works so well that I can't help but dig it. Those same brandy soaked raspberries come through from the start, and dominate most of the beer. Right when I think the flavor is going to be as one dimensional as the aroma though, a fantastic swirl of rich milk chocolate comes in to close things out. Imagine a liquified raspberry truffle, and you'll get a very good idea of what this beer tastes like. Had the chocolate showed up a little bit earlier in the flavor profile, this beer would be just about perfect, but it comes in just a tad late to really nail it. The body is surprisingly middling for such a high ABV beer, but it works (in conjunction with the mildly subdued carbonation) to prevent the beer from presenting as cloying in any way. Raspberry Eisbock wasn't quite as impressive as Kuhnhenn's other hyped beer (Bourbon Barrel 4th Dementia), but still showed why it's deserving of a spot on BA's Top 100 beers.

axeman9182, May 01, 2011

I have wanted to try this for as long as I can remember. Having a small sample when I was at the brewery a few months ago really made me anticipate its release with super high expectations. After finally getting some 6.3 oz bottles and opening them, I knew at first sniff this would exceed my expectations. Opaque reddish brown with an inch of light tan head that left scatterings of lace around the glass. Aroma packs quite a punch with sweet molasses and tons of raspberry goodness that is definitely the real deal not artificial. Alcohol is there but is not noticeable over the huge fruit scents. Light sweetness and burnt sugar notes were there as well. The taste was even more impressive than the aroma, with a huge raspberry flavor that blended well with the sweet caramel and light chocolate notes. The alcohol is there and is warming as hell but never interferes with the flavor. Some other light fruit notes I think were peaking through as well other subtleties that I couldn’t recognize. Simply amazing stuff. Mouthfeel was insanely thick and syrupy that just coated your tongue with even the most minute sip. Drinkability? I could sip a on a growler of this all day if I ever got the chance. Well worth the price of admission here, though I wish it was cheaper so I could get more. 750s next time please.

meathookjones, Jun 03, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Courtesy of trade with brewdan - many thanks! Vintage 2007...6.3 oz. into a Portsmouth snifter.

It reminds me of a very deep dark and turbid barleywine. No head, minimal foam. A slight cherrywood or cherry puree color. Very minimal carbonation.

On the other hand, this stuff smells great. Lots and lots of sweet fermented raspberries in there with a great deal of sweet, boozy, husky mildly roasted grains. Almost smells like cherries to an extent - that natural juice you find at WholePaycheck. This smells awesome.

The taste is solid...but dammmnnn...it could use even more time. This stuff is EXTREMELY hot. Maybe I'll wait it out about 1/2 hour to warm further...Very bright and tasty still - booze definitely shows up, though. After a bit of time, it morphs from a lighter alcohol burn to a nice bourbon heat, matching its color. That's more like it.

Palate is very light and quite boozy - almost astringent. The slight acidity of the raspberries also helps to pile on pretty well. Finish is tight but clean. The bourbon character shows up less on the palate than in the taste profile; this still has a cleaner, cooler burn.

Definitely let this one warm up...but it's tough because it drinks so nicely. For something in this weight class it's an easy and quick, if not scarce, pour.

IBUnit63, Oct 08, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +8.9%

I split the 2007 bottle into two snifter to share with a friend. I also gave a small sip to a non beer geek. We were blessed with a slight brown fizz (I stole that word).That fizz didn't last long but I expected that. The body was a murky black so the appearance really wasn't much to look at.. Now were this brew starts to shine is the aroma chocolate raspberry tart was the first word I hear to describe it, and it stuck in my head. The flavor was more of the same it had great chocolate caramel and a ton of raspberries' in it. This was a desert in a glass and the mouth feel was thick and syrupy so it was a perfect aperitif. All around this was a great brew.

joepais, Jan 22, 2011

DanGeo, May 16, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

I, too, tried this one on for size at Rattle N Hum.
I don't have much to add on to what has recently been said by those that had this on tap at that bar.
Chocolate covered raspberries, strong on the booze while still being pretty easy to drink. A sit'n'sip with dense flavor that keeps reeling one in. I wish it hadn't been served so cold to start with because it was difficult to find the patience required to let it warm to a temperature where the fullness of flavor would peak. Even when very cold, lots of depth, interest and happy flavor.
I was excited and happy to try this and I would be excited and happy to have it again.

ommegangpbr, Apr 29, 2011

Jordy777, Apr 19, 2014
4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

laxer8811, Apr 15, 2013

Served in a tulip right at Kuhnhenn in Warren. The color was a dark chocolate brown, with an amazingly creamy, thick head for such a high ABV. The smell was a wonderful mix of raspberry tartness and chocolate richness. The taste was a wonderful mix of the tartness of the raspberry and the fairly sweet chocolatey maltiness....rather than competing with each other, they accentuated each other nicely (like a chocolate-covered cherry), and there was absolutely no alcohol to be noticed whatsoever! Mouthfeel was very rich and thick. As for drinkability, I could have these, especially in the winter, until hell froze over.

This was the beer that I was definitely hoping to get my hands on in Michigan, and thanks to kindness beyond the call of duty from Brett and Eric Kuhnhenn, I was able to go back and split a bottle with my brother, and I was sure glad that I did. For this is truly a world-class beer...just sooo good, so thick and chocolatey and raspberry, and believe me somehow they meld together into such goodness. This may well truly have been my favorite beer in the world, and I would do anything to have this one again.

beergeek279, Sep 02, 2004
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Tinnie tiny 6.3oz 2004 vintage bottle from goodbyeohio's cellar. you rule Jim.

Out of a green bottle with a funky old school homebrew like looking label. It pours a murky deep reddish brown. Almost looks like a port. Thin extremely fizzy head of retention on the edges of the flute glass. Calm like a lake in the early morning. Very interesting aromas emanate from the glass. Thick sweet caramel malt notes with subtle fruit. Piles of burnt brown sugar with subtle nestle chocolate powder notes.

Thick and syrupy body with a hefty malt base on the palate. Very complex flavors. Dark fruits, figs, and prunes with continuous raspberry flavors lingering on the palate. Sweet brown sugar and caramel malt notes. Huge malt profile comes. Chocolate flavors are present, but definitely play a supporting role in the malt profile. Subtle spiciness is detected at the back of the tongue. Surprisingly dry in the finish--especially with the thick syrup mouthfeel in the beginning. Low carbonation to almost flat allows the complex flavors to show their true colors. Fruity sweetness hangs on the palate well into the aftertaste.

Drinkable to a degree. It's definitely a sipping beer. The sweetness is thick and hefty like a wet blanket. More darker sweets. High abv isn't noticeable while sipping, although it is noticeable after about three quarters of the brew. A very tasty offering and one that's a bit off the path for me--I really enjoyed it though. Thanks for the chance Jimmyb--you know I appreciate it.

bjohnson, Mar 12, 2007