Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,198
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
BlissJunkie

07-22-2013 04:49:37 | More by BlissJunkie
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time but for many reasons I've never managed to get one of these bottles. Kudos to barefootbrewer for sending me a bottle of this fine elixir!

With 186 reviews as of this posting I'll take a different appraoch with this review. I will admit I don't care for raspberries. This beer however is soo good, so balanced, so wonderfully tasting that I have a new found respect for raspberries. So, I would drink this again quite happily, other raspberry creations... eh... I may try but no guaranties.

Get this if you get a chance to try it.

07-09-2008 01:42:24 | More by barleywinebrewer
axeman9182

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

My final beer at the Rattle n Hum's Kuhnhenn event. This one was poured in an 8oz champagne flute style glass.

Raspberry Eisbock pours a deep fusion of amber and plum, with surprising clarity. A thin bone colored head briefly sits atop the beer, but quickly vanishes to nothing. The nose is entirely one note, but incredibly alluring.The beer smells like fresh raspberries soaked in a very small amount of brandy. The flavor doesn't add much, but nonetheless, the result works so well that I can't help but dig it. Those same brandy soaked raspberries come through from the start, and dominate most of the beer. Right when I think the flavor is going to be as one dimensional as the aroma though, a fantastic swirl of rich milk chocolate comes in to close things out. Imagine a liquified raspberry truffle, and you'll get a very good idea of what this beer tastes like. Had the chocolate showed up a little bit earlier in the flavor profile, this beer would be just about perfect, but it comes in just a tad late to really nail it. The body is surprisingly middling for such a high ABV beer, but it works (in conjunction with the mildly subdued carbonation) to prevent the beer from presenting as cloying in any way. Raspberry Eisbock wasn't quite as impressive as Kuhnhenn's other hyped beer (Bourbon Barrel 4th Dementia), but still showed why it's deserving of a spot on BA's Top 100 beers.

05-01-2011 01:28:16 | More by axeman9182
meathookjones

I have wanted to try this for as long as I can remember. Having a small sample when I was at the brewery a few months ago really made me anticipate its release with super high expectations. After finally getting some 6.3 oz bottles and opening them, I knew at first sniff this would exceed my expectations. Opaque reddish brown with an inch of light tan head that left scatterings of lace around the glass. Aroma packs quite a punch with sweet molasses and tons of raspberry goodness that is definitely the real deal not artificial. Alcohol is there but is not noticeable over the huge fruit scents. Light sweetness and burnt sugar notes were there as well. The taste was even more impressive than the aroma, with a huge raspberry flavor that blended well with the sweet caramel and light chocolate notes. The alcohol is there and is warming as hell but never interferes with the flavor. Some other light fruit notes I think were peaking through as well other subtleties that I couldn’t recognize. Simply amazing stuff. Mouthfeel was insanely thick and syrupy that just coated your tongue with even the most minute sip. Drinkability? I could sip a on a growler of this all day if I ever got the chance. Well worth the price of admission here, though I wish it was cheaper so I could get more. 750s next time please.

06-03-2005 19:22:20 | More by meathookjones
IBUnit63

4.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Courtesy of trade with brewdan - many thanks! Vintage 2007...6.3 oz. into a Portsmouth snifter.

It reminds me of a very deep dark and turbid barleywine. No head, minimal foam. A slight cherrywood or cherry puree color. Very minimal carbonation.

On the other hand, this stuff smells great. Lots and lots of sweet fermented raspberries in there with a great deal of sweet, boozy, husky mildly roasted grains. Almost smells like cherries to an extent - that natural juice you find at WholePaycheck. This smells awesome.

The taste is solid...but dammmnnn...it could use even more time. This stuff is EXTREMELY hot. Maybe I'll wait it out about 1/2 hour to warm further...Very bright and tasty still - booze definitely shows up, though. After a bit of time, it morphs from a lighter alcohol burn to a nice bourbon heat, matching its color. That's more like it.

Palate is very light and quite boozy - almost astringent. The slight acidity of the raspberries also helps to pile on pretty well. Finish is tight but clean. The bourbon character shows up less on the palate than in the taste profile; this still has a cleaner, cooler burn.

Definitely let this one warm up...but it's tough because it drinks so nicely. For something in this weight class it's an easy and quick, if not scarce, pour.

10-08-2009 00:30:27 | More by IBUnit63
joepais

Maine

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

I split the 2007 bottle into two snifter to share with a friend. I also gave a small sip to a non beer geek. We were blessed with a slight brown fizz (I stole that word).That fizz didn't last long but I expected that. The body was a murky black so the appearance really wasn't much to look at.. Now were this brew starts to shine is the aroma chocolate raspberry tart was the first word I hear to describe it, and it stuck in my head. The flavor was more of the same it had great chocolate caramel and a ton of raspberries' in it. This was a desert in a glass and the mouth feel was thick and syrupy so it was a perfect aperitif. All around this was a great brew.

01-22-2011 19:02:39 | More by joepais

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

06-24-2013 14:05:19 | More by AdamP
ommegangpbr

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

I, too, tried this one on for size at Rattle N Hum.
I don't have much to add on to what has recently been said by those that had this on tap at that bar.
Chocolate covered raspberries, strong on the booze while still being pretty easy to drink. A sit'n'sip with dense flavor that keeps reeling one in. I wish it hadn't been served so cold to start with because it was difficult to find the patience required to let it warm to a temperature where the fullness of flavor would peak. Even when very cold, lots of depth, interest and happy flavor.
I was excited and happy to try this and I would be excited and happy to have it again.

04-29-2011 07:12:33 | More by ommegangpbr
wisrarebeer

Wisconsin

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

2007 nip bottle.

A: clear, deep copper color
S: a bit sweet but also hints of tannins, oak, vanilla, very good, not overly cloying
T: I would never have expected this beer to be this good, sweet but well-balanced and good hop bitterness, more vanilla and caramel than raspberry, well done!
M: again, smooth, easy drinking
D: ditto

01-31-2010 20:22:51 | More by wisrarebeer
laxer8811

04-15-2013 00:54:31 | More by laxer8811
beergeek279

Served in a tulip right at Kuhnhenn in Warren. The color was a dark chocolate brown, with an amazingly creamy, thick head for such a high ABV. The smell was a wonderful mix of raspberry tartness and chocolate richness. The taste was a wonderful mix of the tartness of the raspberry and the fairly sweet chocolatey maltiness....rather than competing with each other, they accentuated each other nicely (like a chocolate-covered cherry), and there was absolutely no alcohol to be noticed whatsoever! Mouthfeel was very rich and thick. As for drinkability, I could have these, especially in the winter, until hell froze over.

This was the beer that I was definitely hoping to get my hands on in Michigan, and thanks to kindness beyond the call of duty from Brett and Eric Kuhnhenn, I was able to go back and split a bottle with my brother, and I was sure glad that I did. For this is truly a world-class beer...just sooo good, so thick and chocolatey and raspberry, and believe me somehow they meld together into such goodness. This may well truly have been my favorite beer in the world, and I would do anything to have this one again.

09-02-2004 18:16:18 | More by beergeek279
bjohnson

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Tinnie tiny 6.3oz 2004 vintage bottle from goodbyeohio's cellar. you rule Jim.

Out of a green bottle with a funky old school homebrew like looking label. It pours a murky deep reddish brown. Almost looks like a port. Thin extremely fizzy head of retention on the edges of the flute glass. Calm like a lake in the early morning. Very interesting aromas emanate from the glass. Thick sweet caramel malt notes with subtle fruit. Piles of burnt brown sugar with subtle nestle chocolate powder notes.

Thick and syrupy body with a hefty malt base on the palate. Very complex flavors. Dark fruits, figs, and prunes with continuous raspberry flavors lingering on the palate. Sweet brown sugar and caramel malt notes. Huge malt profile comes. Chocolate flavors are present, but definitely play a supporting role in the malt profile. Subtle spiciness is detected at the back of the tongue. Surprisingly dry in the finish--especially with the thick syrup mouthfeel in the beginning. Low carbonation to almost flat allows the complex flavors to show their true colors. Fruity sweetness hangs on the palate well into the aftertaste.

Drinkable to a degree. It's definitely a sipping beer. The sweetness is thick and hefty like a wet blanket. More darker sweets. High abv isn't noticeable while sipping, although it is noticeable after about three quarters of the brew. A very tasty offering and one that's a bit off the path for me--I really enjoyed it though. Thanks for the chance Jimmyb--you know I appreciate it.

03-12-2007 02:40:58 | More by bjohnson
magictacosinus

4.23/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A big thanks to mjmadsen21 to trading this for me in person. We cracked open the bottle right away! Poured into a wine-goblet glass from a 12oz bottle. No bottling or freshness date, but does this need one??

Pours a beautiful, jewel ruby-red appearance that immediately brought me back to my glory days of finding Cantillon krieks everywhere in Europe. There was surprisingly some head (as well as any carbonation AT ALL) that cascaded into the glass, that produced a little bit of light soda carbonation that quickly dissipated as it sat around. Eventually all of the bubbles disappeared, but the ruby color stuck around to give this the look of either a lightly tinged dessert wine or fruit based liqueur. Very viscous. Alcohol legs are enormous. Transcends the eisbock style here - this is a world-class looking fruit infused beer!

The aroma is definitely chock-filled with raspberries, but there's definitely all kinds of wild nuances going on here. First, on the subject of raspberries, this smells like a cross between a fresh batch of raspberries that you open up right out of the box, with a semi-tarty yet candied feel. Otherwise, this ranges to the candied, sweetened raspberry flavor, filled with lots of powdered sugar, as well as traces of milk chocolate, grassy hoppy notes, near brandy-based booziness... Not really a sour or a sweetened fruit beer, but rather something that folds the envelope. There's a lightly tinged, near rustic graininess, but otherwise the candied raspberries and grassy texture are the ones winning here. Slightly stinging, but otherwise really unlike anything I've caught thus far.

The flavor is definitely sweet and candied, but it's still very bearable and fascinating, especially considering what's going on in this beer. First off, the fact that this is a lager immediately reveals itself in the flavor, with its crisp body, cracked grainy feel found in pilsners, as well as lack of heaviness on the subject of malts. Secondly, the raspberries continue to be pervasive in a candied yet juicy manner to the point of adding character to otherwise doomed style that eisbocks tend to be. Finally, the ABV is dangerously well hidden, yet eventually creeps its way around to add an extra character similar to fortified wines that accentuates the fruity notes in a rather satisfying way. There's a toasted malty flavor here, believe it or not. I also am a sucker for sweet, syrupy, fruit-focused stuff, as it seems, as this ranges to being a raspberry liqueur despite it having the crisp, highly drinkable qualities of any great lager. Unbelievable that this is above 15% in alcohol. I can barely taste it - although I do get a little bit of heat as it warms.

Really unique and refreshing, although I'm glad I split this with someone else, in the end. Don't go in thinking this is a sour or anything - this is a combination of a strong lager with a raspberry liqueur first and foremost. And yet, there's a candied flavor and grassy, rustic nature that makes this really interesting in the long run. It's definitely sweet, but it has these funky aromas and juicy character found in doppelbocks and sweetened Lambics that makes it unlike anything I've had. Definitely an alcoholic monster, though, so watch how you handle it. Absolutely worth a try.

04-30-2013 04:26:08 | More by magictacosinus

dkw0063

10-29-2013 18:01:47 | More by dkw0063
Goliath

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a murky brown color with nearly no head on the pour.

The aroma is nice. Big doses of caramel and chocolate on the nose with some fruity and flowery esters running around. A decent shot of alcohol also comes through.

The taste is phenomenal! The raspberry flavor is ridiculously good. A good bit of chocolate and caramel come through as well. It's like a Raspberry truffle. There is a bit of alcohol in there, but it's tamed. I don't konw what else to say, except that I'm nearly speechless.

Mouthfeel is pushing full bodied and very lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is suprisingly high. The high alcohol content is not noticeable, and the flavors are incredible making for an awesome drinking experience. A 6.3 oz sipper, that's for sure!

01-09-2009 02:04:00 | More by Goliath
Anonymous1

06-01-2013 04:52:02 | More by Anonymous1
brycevolk

10-22-2012 13:27:28 | More by brycevolk
marburg

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Clings to the sides of the glass like moss on a tree. Looks like sludge in the glass. Dark, rotting grape color -- deep purple-ish brown.

Very pungent aromas -- beet sugar, alcohol, and raspberry. The berry fragrance, especially, forces its way off the beer and at your face. Wickedly powerful. Intensely sweet flavor that's dominated by the raspberry. This is a bit akin to a raspberry syrup in flavor and texture. Homemade jam. While very cough syrupy, it hides the alcohol remarkably well. Silky smooth on the tongue and goes down easily for such a weighty, meaty brew. The most sinful of all desserts couldn't compare to a 4 ounce sample of this delight.

This apparently won a gold medal at a Michigan beer championship, and a good friend of mine originated the recipe. So I was pleased to sample it at the Michigan Summer Beer Fest yesterday, and it was one of the better brews there.

07-27-2003 17:51:59 | More by marburg
POTABLE83

06-06-2013 12:41:04 | More by POTABLE83
kkipple

South Carolina

3.38/5  rDev -23.2%

Thanks to my buds at DLD 08, I finally get to try this rarity! Thanks, buds!

*2007 vintage, 11.9% listed abv

Pours from a puny 6.3oz bottle into my goblet. I really really wanted the phat lookin' bottle in the profile picture, but alas! Was not to be. They're using these diminutive green bottles now, complete with HP printer labels and red wax seal. Cute. Oh yeah, the beer is nearly flat, dingy red, and the head eventually fades to nothing.

Smells a bit... oxidized? Hmm. Not too auspicious. After that, fruit-must, dirty earth, chocolate, tootsie rolls and yes, raspberries. I was surprised by the chocolate character here, and was expecting more fruit... the booze, ah yes, comes through nicely. It's all pretty smoothly blended at 55 degrees.

My, what have we here? Tart raspberries and cocoa abound, but I suppose I was expecting more sweetness... it's boozy and earthy and fairly aggressive. This little bottle packs a wallop. Maybe it's because I've recently had Raspberry Tart, but this is a bit of a letdown... the booze gets in the way of the flavor and the chocolate comes on too strong. Hm.

Mouthfeel is dry with mid-low carbonation and finishes earthy berries and tart with a smack of alcohol. I hate to say it, but the aftertaste was not entirely pleasant. Maybe the recipe has changed over the years?

I have to admit that this was a letdown. I was hoping for a highly sweet, delicious dessert beer and instead got assaulted with an alcoholic chocolate-tart thing with raspberries that kicked me around as I tried to get up. I'll try it again, but please don't crucify me for the low score... please? Now where did I put that DFH Fort?

05-19-2008 00:51:29 | More by kkipple
alcstradamus

Washington

3.43/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Acquired in a trade with hoppymeal, arrived earlier today and chilled for a few hours before consumption.

Poured dark with a red hue, only a sliver of head even using an extremely hard pour. Definitely a product of the high ABV. Smell was booze dominated, with faint (real) raspberries in the background. Taste was similar, very booze dominated with some raspberry, caramel, and chocolate. Thick and sweet, this would probably benefit with a few more years under its belt to calm down the alcohol some more. It was a vintage 2007, but based on my small bottle I would probably let the next one have at least 4 years under its belt before I cracked it open. I did enjoy this beer, but not nearly as much as others seem to.

07-25-2009 03:54:24 | More by alcstradamus
objectivemonkey

4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

A small 6.4 oz. bottle with a big wax cap, 2004 vintage with a vintage look to the label. Into a small tulip glass, pours a much darker than expected deep mahogony maroon, a small darkish head receding to a thin ring, thin bubbly sheets of lacing as the liquid retreats. Aroma is deep and rich, full of rasberry, chocolate slipping under the radar, cognac, malty tones underneath.

Taste is magical, a rasberry beer that should be shortened to rasbeer, so well crafted it is. This is no excersice in making a beer rasberry flavored (bad), or trying to infuse rasberries (better), this is a study in such balance, such perfectly fitting parts, a well-honed whole, its as though there aren't any flavors, just experience. As you start, the rasberry comes out to say hello, slips away as it introduces you to caramels and chocolates, cognacs and brandy, sweet and delicious malt, a smooth and slow and creamy procession through beery nirvana, when the tart rasberry walks you down the stairs and out of existence, leaving one to consider this; most people would actually scoff at the idea of rasberries in beer. Such is the joy and tragedy of such a beer, and how lucky are those who know of it.

Many thanks to hopdog for this masterpiece.

01-18-2007 00:39:05 | More by objectivemonkey