Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,227
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Big cheers to Kev for sharing this one with Chris and I (even though it was a small bottle). 6.3oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a deep ruby red color with just the slightest bit of bubbles. Absolutely no lacing. The smell is fantastic. A beautiful blend of honey, raspberries, and alcohol. The just meld together, you don't know where one ends and the other begins. Very intoxicating. The taste is insane. Lots of fresh raspberries coming out at me. A bit of sugary sweetness and some slight alcohol warming. Slightly spicy too, with just a little bit of ginger. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and strong, just smothering my tongue. The drinkability is deadly for a 13.5% brew. A really awesome beer, and I can't believe Kev let me have a nice share of this bottle, cheers to him!

SheepNutz, Oct 06, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle, review from notes.

Pours a murky burgundy color, hues of brown, garnet and raspberry when struck by the light, no visible head and no visible lacing. The aroma is pungent fleshy raspberry, very fresh fruit, but a very harsh alcohol sweetness with some rich dark grain, caramel and toffee sugar notes, it's already too sweet for me, but the fresh berry is fantastic. The flavors are similar, massive fresh raspberry, which is delicious, is instantly overpowered by intense alcohol sweetness, caramel, brown sugar and a bit of vanilla. The body is super thick and syrupy, very sticky, finishes rather smoothly but with some harsh alcohol behind it.

Verdict: Can't say I am super impressed given the hype and ratings behind this beer, the fruit is wonderfully done, but the harsh alcohol and cloying qualities ruined it for me. Not sure what age will do to this beer, but I have a hard time believing that it will improve.

kevanb, Feb 24, 2013

MrVonzipper, Apr 01, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Kristina Yamaguchi is wearing a red velvet dress and ice skating on my tongue. She's got a rocket pack in her back that's shooting out rasberry purée and hot lava. I'm not quite sure what else to say. This beer is exceptional.

Built like an eisbock to carry you through the winter, but with raspberries to cut through a garden fence, it's likedrinking a smoothie with rum. I'm in love and I'm not. It's huge. Huge huge. Thick mouthfeel, viscous and sugary. This 2007 vintage is brilliant out the tap all the way to the bottom. Deep red velvet, hardly any head, bodacious smell, taste that's tart and sweet and finishes with alcohol and malt. Heat for winter, fruit for summer, perfect for spring.

afksports, Apr 27, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

HopsHopenstein, Apr 07, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Quackus, Mar 24, 2013

Hallertau, Aug 24, 2014

Mark000, Oct 25, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Pours a dark raspberry brown with a thin ring of off-white foam. Minimal lacing.

S - It's a fantastic tart raspberry smell with sweet chocolate in the background.

T - Wow, the sweetness of the raspberry that I smelled tastes tart on my tongue. The raspberry is strong but I pick up hints of dark fruit, sweet toffee and a little tobacco on the back end.

M - Creamy medium body with very low, but present, carbonation.

O - An amazing beer that hides the high abv. well. I could drink a lot of these very easily.

SkiBum22, Sep 08, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -10.5%

Huge thanks to Bendurgin for sharing this one. Bottle says 2007. Poured into a chalice. Nice dark amber, color. The edges of the beer are kind of pomegranate colored. Very little head eventually disappears completely.

Nice sweet raspberry smell. I'm thinking raspberry jam on this one.

Raspberries dominate the flavor. A dry raspberry flavor starts. There is a bit of sweetness on the middle, and a hint of berry tartness in the finish, accompanied by the distinct presence of graham cracker. Like a cheesecake.

Nice mouthfeel with very soft carbonation. This is a sipper for certain. Very glad to have tried this.

andrewinski1, Nov 15, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

A - pours a beautiful deep red/mahogany with minimal carbonation and low head.

S - it's a fantastic tart raspberry smell with sweet chocolate in the background.

T - Matches perfectly with nose. A mildly tart delicious raspberry with some very clear chocolate sweetness to balance it.

M - robust and full, a bit drying.

D - a delightful warming sensation. strong and tart. but you want to keep drinking it.

ColdPoncho, Jan 12, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -65.8%

2007 vintage.

I certainly never wanted to contribute the lowest score to this beer. It pains me that I have to, since I had such high expectations for it. But I have to be honest as well.

A- nothing wrong here, a dark red liquid, nothing special.

S- Definitely not what I expected here. I didn't necessarily think it would be ALL raspberry, but this smell just threw me for a loop. It was interesting yet weird. Smelt like some really deep caramel, chocolate, and fruit all mingling together into a really weird combo. It kept making me want to smell it actually, but I didn't really enjoy it.

T- This was perhaps the worst tasting beer I've ever had. If I didn't know it was a raspberry beer I might not have even picked it out in the flavor. I was expecting this to pack a raspberry punch at least on par, if not exceeding New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. Huge letdown here. But I know they were trying to go for a whole dessert sorta thing here with chocolate, caramel, and raspberry flavors. The taste was so weird and unusual that I can't even describe it. And I don't want to taste it anymore to try and describe it.

D- Couldn't even finish this. Drain pour for both me and my friend. Sad, because I've been wanting to try this for so long, seeing as how so many people like it, how could it be bad? Well I guess now this is the second lesson I've learned in that regard, the first being Dark Lord.

MiScusi, May 23, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -43.1%

fehrminator, Mar 16, 2014
4.26/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Type: on tap ~5 oz
Glass: flute
From: kuhnhenn's
Price: 15

Appearance: dark dark red almost black but pretty clear

Smell: extra sweet raspberry. Strong alcohol

Taste: along the same lines of the nose. The raspberry sweetness and alcohol play very well together for a well balanced but not complex beer

Mouthfeel: heavy, warm, thick, smooth, but I wish it was a more chewy

Overall: greet beer. Wonderfully strong and warming but at the price I could find much better. Probably will not have again due to the price

SportsandJorts, Mar 05, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

Retail1LO, Sep 30, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

Red waxed 6.3 oz from an '04 vintage, poured into a snifter.

DEEP reddish brown with a small head that doesn't last long and leaves a thinly veiled ring. Thins rings of lace are left as it goes down.

Tons of real raspberries and chocolate make up the nose. Perfect balance between the sweet berries and an almost roasty dark chocolate.

Tastes a lot like the nose promises, raspberry and chocolate abound. Slight vinous character creeps in after the berry and chocolate notes, then its back to the raspberry filled chocolate candy. Not the cheap kind you find in a Whitman's Sampler, but the kind that are hand made at an independant chocolate shop that uses an old family recipe.

I'm suprised this lacks any syrup in the mouth. The best description I can give is a really good Old Ale, like Fourth Dimentia, but a bit more concentrated. I can taste the sugars without feeling them stick to my tongue. Very drinkable as the abv doesn't register, and the flavors are flawless.

While it pushes the definition of beer, its damn tasty and makes for an excellent after dinner drink.

ypsifly, Aug 30, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

sendsilk, May 12, 2013

ithinkimasofa, Mar 29, 2012

ajs4bd, May 15, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a ruby brown. Very clear with slowly rising carbonation. Thin ring settles to nothing with no lacing. It looked so damn thick going into the glass, almost like cough syrup.

Hmm...almost has a cough syrup smell. Robitussin or something. Nah, I'm just letting that pour get to me. Such a rich smelling beer. Caramel and chocolate drenched raspberries. Doesn't seem like I'm smelling beer, that's for sure. Seductive if a beer ever could be when it comes to the nose. I think there's some toffee in here but do I smell butterscotch, too?

Very sweet and succulent taste. Rich and delightful. Again, pure raspberry juice, blended well with chocolate and caramel. Somewhat buttery undertones. Definite alcohol warming and malty all the way.

Mouthfeel is so thick and syrupy, almost too much for me to handle. Low carbonation leads to this fullness...and filling it is.

I like it, a lot. I just can't see myself drinking any more than this serving. It's been half an hour and I'm not near done. Drink this very slowly and appreciate. Seriously, one of the slowest drinking beers I've ever had, it's that bold.

Thanks, Derek!

ncvbc, Feb 21, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

2007 vintage poured into a Mikkeller wine glass

A - Dark, reddish brown with no head and slight carbonation. Reminds me of a darker sherry. Definitely looks more like a dessert wine than a beer

S - Raspberry liqueur, chocolate covered raspberries, and raspberry jam lead in the nose. Has a big, jammy scent of fresh raspberry that takes over. It even smells thick! The raspberries are definitely of the sweeter variety and not tart at all

T - Full of raspberry flavors with a slight hint of chocolate. It actually is a bit tart at first which I don't get in the nose. Definitely reminds me of biting into a juicy, fresh raspberry. It has hints of caramel and raspberry jam that give it a slight sweeter taste near the finish. Definitely one of the best raspberry and fruit beers out there

MF - Thick and viscous body that is nice and sticky. It has very light carbonation; just enough to cut through the beer and prevent it from being too thick.

O - This beer is one of the reasons why Kuhnheen is well loved. It has great raspberry flavor, a nice mouthfeel, and is a unique beer. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well this has held up as I don't notice any signs of oxidation. This is a beer that would go great with a chocolate dessert such as rich truffles or chocolate cake.

jeonseh, Jul 09, 2012

vissai, Apr 23, 2013
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Jw347 for this tiny treat!

This is a 2007 vintage 187ml bottle. I put this one in the fridge for about 15-20min before opening it, it was in my closet/cellar prior to that.

Poured into my small 6oz or so snifter. The beer pours a beautiful sanguine color, dark violet with ruby edges. A very minimal amount of bubbles formed as I poured, then all was still.

The aroma is very fruity and bread-y. Immediately I detect some raspberry juice and other berries, fruity alcohol, and a hefty, doughy, bread like aroma. It literally smells like a berry flavored hard candy. All I can say is wow! There's also a subtle, very soft, aroma of chocolate, like a raspberry truffle. After a sip or two I can detect caramel in both the flavor and aroma.

The flavor! Oh my! I think I just wet my pants. Sweet raspberries upfront, the berry flavored hard candy is there as well, alcohol, caramel, chocolate, and a warming alcohol sensation as it passes through the palate. One of the best dessert beers I have ever had. Maybe a tad medicinal at one point but this is really good stuff.

At first it seems like it will be a bit syrupy, and it is a tad on the thick side, but the low level of carbonation makes it quite smooth. Drinks pretty easy but this is definitely a sipper and a dessert beer.

seaoflament, May 28, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

RE-RATE 5/7/07 ON TAP FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY BUT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 6.3 OZ BOTTLES THIS ONE WAS DIFFERANT THAN THE 1ST ABV IS NOW 18%. POURED A MUDDY BROWN WITH LITLE TO NO HEAD. AROMA RASPBERRIES AND WHERE DID THAT CHOCOLATE COME FROM MALTS, WITH HINTS OF ALCOHOL AND DARK FRUITS . FLAVOR SAME AS AROMA . THIS WAS NOT AS SYRUPY AS THE 1ST OR AS SWEET. I WASN'T GOING TO CHANGE MY RATING BUT AFTER SOME DEP THINKING I DECIDED TO CHANGE MY RATING THE PREV. RATING WAS ALL 4.5S THE BROTHERS PUT A LOT OF TIME AND EFFERT INTO MAKING THIS A QUAILTY BREW AND IT SHOWED THAT WHEN BRET CAME TO THE TABLE EXPLAIND THE PROCESS OF MAKING THIS GREAT BREW WITH THE RBS THAT WHERE AT THE TABLE WOW.Had this in may Poured dark brown with hints of ruby around the edges, no head with some lacing.aroma ,nice balance of raspberry,raisin molasses.flavor was like the best homemade raspberry preserves I have had got hints of molasses and citrus almost like a tangerine mouth feel was smooth and dry in a good way.This was a very good beer,it would be very good for a after dinner drink or even dessert. Did I say WOW

walleye, Oct 24, 2004