2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 804 | Reviews: 410 | Show All Ratings:
DackAchan

4.97/5  rDev +13%

2004 187ml bottle.

A- Great appearance, pours very dark brown with a strong overtone of ruby added to it. Little to no head, only deduction.

S- Cornocopia of smells. Raspberry and chocolate dominate with some hints of cherry. Smells sweet.

T- Taste is even more diverse than the smell. Tart with strong raspberry flavor. As it goes down, chocolate becomes more dominate. Finishes off with a bite of alcohol. Well rounded. Not to sweet, not too bitter, lives up to the reputation.

M- Light mouthfeel, with some heavy alcohol bite to it.

D- This is a great beer to sit down with and enjoy. It takes some time to truely enjoy this beer.

It is worth the hype and the price. Gotta get some 2007 and see what that is like.

01-14-2008 15:08:49 | More by DackAchan
blackie

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2004, 187 ml bottle, labeled and capped without wax.This was slated for my "finally got a job" beer, but Firestone 10 now fills that role and I don't wanna let this one go too long.

a: Opens with a weak release of pressure. Into my Piraat snifter. Zero head, and the beer is a deep amber-brown with strong ruby hues. Can't expect much head from a beer like this, so I won't take off more than 0.5...and the color is gorgeous.

s: Ridiculous. Sweet, complex caramel and brown-sugary toasted malts support rich milk and bittersweet chocolates, cherry-chocolate, raspberry-chocolate-booze, malted raisin and date, all types of chocolate-raspberry dessert concoctions topped with a sugar-cognac reduction. A touch of sour gives balance to the rich malt and chocolate sweetness.

m: Ultra-light, practically nonexistent carbonation with a fuller body. The near complete lack of carbonation is just fine with me. Cleans up exceptionally well. A touch more thickness would make it perfect.

t: The first sip took me a bit by surprise. Great progression of flavor from start to finish. Big, caramel malt and candied raspberry flavors at first with notes of bittersweet chocolate. The chocolate gradually takes the center as the malt slickness fades, and the sip finishes long and slow with raspberry and dry dark chocolate. I swear there's even woody coffee bean in the flavor, I just can't pin it down.

d: The abv is present in just the right amount, and this is a very enjoyable sipper. Lives up to the high regard.

from zrrbrrt in No BS Beta

01-14-2008 03:23:04 | More by blackie
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -26.6%

A - dark crimson, ruddy reddish, with a brown lace that rims the glass when swirled, otherwise there is no discernible head

S - big on the caramel and chocolate malts, the rest of the aroma is alcohol and raspberry puree, with the alcohol being more prominent

T - of course i can taste the raspberrys, but its not what i expected. the biggest flavors are alcohol, licorice, and caramel; but its much more than bitter than i expected, tho only chocolate i can taste is at the end, a bit of super-bitter bakers chocolate

M&D - smooth, definitely, to the point of nearly syupy, a bit to bitter to be easy to drink. it definitely got better as it sat. maybe i overhyped this beer, maybe it past, maybe the flight home effected it. well brewed, i need to get another to compare

01-10-2008 15:46:15 | More by sinstaineddemon
GbVDave

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 187ml bottle into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

2007 Vintage

A: Pours a murky reddish-brown color with no head, a tiny ring, and no skim.

S: Raspberry and caramel with a healthy helping of milk chocolate.

T: Juicy, spicy raspberry with melted caramel and chocolate sauce. Spicy alcohol heat and a raspberry Tootsie Roll flavor.

M: Dry, spicy, and juicy. Thick, creamy, and coating. Slightly tart.

D: Considering the abv, this is a relatively easy beer to enjoy. Quite complex and certainly very interesting.

01-09-2008 03:06:41 | More by GbVDave
CoSMoSYS

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this at the Winter Solstice party.

Pours a deep brown with a reddish hue as it settles. When it came to me it had a small head that didn't stick around for too long. No lacing detected.

Very sweet malt and raspberries. Raspberries all day long.

Just like the smell, it was definitely raspberries but there wasn't any tartness. Very delicious. I picked up on the malt but not so much on the bitterness though I did get a hint of the hops during the aftertaste.

Somewhat carbonated. I was expecting more of a smoother drink from the reviews here but I'm sure that has to do with age. Nice and thick...heavy almost.

This was a damn fine drink from Kuhnhenn's and I can see why it won an award. The beer is excellent fresh and has unlimited potential when aged.

01-07-2008 14:01:04 | More by CoSMoSYS
Mitchster

3.15/5  rDev -28.4%

$9.99 for a 187ml bottle. 2007 edition. Purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn. They got in 5 cases of the stuff if anyone is looking for some. Pours out to a somewhat hazy very dark brown, not forming a head, but just a slight ring of bubbles. Absent carbonation. The aroma is very powerful...sweet milk chocolate, raspberries, caramel and liquid tootsie rolls. Mouthfeel is initially tart and acidic and ends a little peppery from the alcohol. Dense syrupy body. The taste is basically tootsie rolls, caramel, raspberry, and stinging alcohol. The chocolate flavor is very artifical, like creme de cacao. There is a disturbing chemical bitterness in here which I don't care for, and it gets worse as it warms. If it was absent, this would be much better.

Hrmmm. Not impressed with this. Definitely not worth the $10 price and all the hype. I drank another bottle with 2 other beer loving friends a few days ago and they weren't very impressed either, thinking it was a waste of money. Wouldn't buy it again, nor would I recommend it. There are so many other great beers like this that are considerably cheaper and taste much better.

01-05-2008 23:53:36 | More by Mitchster
Phocion

2004 vintage. Thanks to northerntimber for this one which I received in my first trade about a year and a half ago.

Beautiful wax-covered miniature bottle poured into my Corsendonk tuilip with a dark brown color, almost pitch-black, with absolutely no head and only a small crown of thin foam along the top. This thing pours more like motor oil than a beer, very thick. Surprised to see the bottle is actually green upon emptying.

Aroma is...wow. Dark chocolate, and incredibly sweet. The raspberry flavor is subtle at first but grows as it warms up. Huge cognac flavor and even similar to Chambord. Lighter bready and brown sugar malts and even a hint of raisin -- actually along with the chocolate it kind of reminds me of Raisinettes.

I don't remember the last time I took one sip of a beer and said the words "oh my God" out loud, but I just did it tonight. Warm alcohol flavor and perfect combination of bitterness and sweetness with the chocolate and fruitiness. I could probably go on but frankly, my palette is overwhelmed and there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said in previous reviews.

This is very thick, almost syrupy. Actually, it almost feels more like a liqueur than a beer. But the flavor alone is so awesome I could see myself getting into a lot of trouble with these.

I was actually expecting to be disappointed in this, anything that receives so much hype I thought could never live up to it. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have never given a beer a 5.0 rating before and I honestly never thought I would, but this little baby transcends the realm of beer. The only word to describe this thing is... "wow."

01-05-2008 01:04:16 | More by Phocion
RblWthACoz

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

First off, I can understand why this comes in 6.5 ounce bottles. Second off, wow.

Pours a ruby tint with absolutely no head. Nose is total raspberry funk with what seems like almost a plastic type of character to it. Flavor is strong raspberry with thick malts. I never really felt that alcohol was present flavor wise. Feel is a bit thicker on liquid and low on carbonation. I also get a slight gritty kind of edge. Not so much that it ruins the experience, but enough to notice. I kind of take it like it is one step below being too much. If it was pushed any further, it wouldn't work. But overall, it does work since it is so damn unique. I have to say that two ounces of this would probably be good enough for me unless I had a long while to really dwell on the bottle or in this case what was served to me off the tap.

12-31-2007 17:39:47 | More by RblWthACoz
brewcrew76

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

2004 Vintage - 6.3 oz

A - Hazy, mahogony, crimson with no head, no bubbles and no lacing.

S - Initial aroma is of a stale boozy old ale. After a few sips I pick of chocolate covered berries, dark fruits, figs and raisins. An oxidized, boozy strong ale aroma makes itself present every now and then.

T - Sweet with an alcohol bite. Sweet chocolate covered raspberries and blackberries. It has a raspberry licquer or cheap wine flavor along with a malty chocolate cake.

M - Thick and syrupy with little to no carbonation. It fits the after dinner sipper mentioned on the label.

D - I think age has gotten to this one a little bit. I have had samples at the Great Taste before and remember it being better than this. It still makes a nice sipper by a warm fire.

12-20-2007 23:44:06 | More by brewcrew76
zdk9

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%

Had on tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor (always good to know your bartender).

A- My 5oz comes in a snifter, a brown color with ruby-red highlights. No head, barely even any bubbles, and no lacing on this one.

S- A great buzz of raspberries, with some sweeter malt. Strong, but maybe that's just the snifter.

T- A great incorporation of raspberry flavor. There isn't the raspberry sweetness, but some tang, and the flavor seems like it come straight from the oil seed. There is also some slight earthy bitterness in the back of the mouth that gives this beer a great balance.

M- I didn't know how potent this beer was until I checked it out here, but I could barely taste any alcohol. I would've rated it as a well hidden 8%, but 13.5%, holy shit! How is there no alcohol in the nose? How is there no burn in my mouth or throat? I suppose I'm taking quite small sips (conserve the 5oz!) but even so, smooth as a baby's bottom.

D- Delicious, and dangerously drinkable.

12-05-2007 05:23:08 | More by zdk9
Floydster

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

187 ml (6.3 ounces) bottle received in a generous trade from drseamus, thanks for giving me a chance to drink this beer, and sorry FedEx was so lame, but you should be a happy camper as well in a week or so

2004 Vintage, I have never drank a beer that is three years old, quite a big step for me

Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter with a deep dark brown color that was much lighter when held up to the light, also had a tint of dark red, 1/8 inch vanilla colored that settled immediately, but left small lacing on the bottom of my glass

Smell was mostly deep chocolate aromas, also some caramel and other sweet malt, a hint of citrus, of course a lot of berry in the smell as well

Taste was great, even better than the Raspberry Tart from New Glarus, start off with sour raspberries, then fades into a sweetness with them, it is followed by a thick cocoa flavor, there also some small tastes of tangerine as it gets warmer, gets a lot sweeter as it warms as well, only sour for the first few sips, but was better in my opinion, I recommend serving this one chilled rather than room temperature, the caramel finish and long lasting aftertaste rounded this brew out, really enjoyed the molasses texture and the syrupy warmness caused by the beer, the tastes were all separated nicely and as one mellowed it turned into the next, the raspberry flavor in this was very tasty with sourness and a thick sweet taste at the end

Not much carbonation at all, but what can you really expect from a beer that is three years old, good mouthfeel with a taste that kept on kicking for minutes after each sip

Could drink lots of this, but at 13.5%, it is a serious eisbock, not too heavy on the stomach though, wish the bottle would have been bigger, but it was a cool design and a good amount of this beer to sip on after a big dinner tonight

First Kuhnhenn beer, but plan to pop the Fourth Dementia I got in my closet real soon, this beer was great and I am surprised how good it helped up since it was bottled, only wish I could have tried it fresh to compare but I cannot complain, highly recommend if you can find somebody willing to trade for it

11-29-2007 07:53:02 | More by Floydster
letsgopens

Bottled in 2004, this tiny jewel of beer goodness pours a woody, copperish, orange/amber with a very thin pearl head that recedes but leaves some nice walls when rolled in a short taster. Pour this bit of perfection in to a glass suited for sipping.

I have no idea how many beers I've tried, maybe 1,500 to 2,000 or so, and I have never had anything that comes close to this beer as far as aroma is concerned. Sublime, pure and simple. Sweet malty caramel covering warm ripe raspberries. Malty bread-like toffee and molasses; raspberry streusel. Heavily fermented fruit and milk chocolate. The berries never dull and I notice something new with every smell and/or sip. Absurdly complex and decadent. I could barely bring myself to finish the beer for fear I would miss the aroma too much.

The flavor does manage to do the aroma justice some how. Syrupy and sweet with an insanely complex mix of slightly roasted malt, caramel, molasses, crushed raspberries, citrus, a tannin like quality, alcohol, and a bready gluttonous thickness. Decadent and impressively complex. Almost unbelievable. Absolutely ideal; there may be some odd, small characteristic that could be tweaked to make this beer even better; but for now I have no idea what that is. Maybe a larger bottle?

Syrupy, thick, warm decadence. The flavor and body of the beer linger on the tongue, teasing me long after I've finished. I'm fairly sure that they've found a way to bottle Christmas. I'm already jonesing here. It’s difficult to say but I'm fairly sure this is the best beer I've ever had.

11-28-2007 00:09:16 | More by letsgopens
amkpublishing

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Was bestowed an advanced taste of this magnificent beer at the November meeting of the Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers (KGB) Homebrew Club.

Smooth, creamy and delicious are just some of the adjectives that describe this beer. the only knock is it is still a tiny bit cloudy but I can overlook that as this was an advanced taste of the December 21st scheduled release.

The Kuhnhenn Brothers have outdone themselves yet again. It is great to see this award winning brew back in the available column.

Serving type: growler

11-14-2007 17:52:33 | More by amkpublishing
hoppymeal

This is the 04 but from th 2nd bottling in december 06. Pours still, cola brown to black with reddish hues. Some good chunks end up in the glass with a bunch retained in the bottle as well. Aroma shows some nice raspberry and heavy oxidation. Buttery caramel, fresh baked cake like aroma, and chocolate as well as a good amt of soy sauce and hints of leather. Taste follows with a nice chocolate covered raspberry flavor before the soy sauced oxidized flavors interrupt. Hints of leather and wood in the flavor as well. Finish is nice and slightly drying with a raspberry flavor that verges on being tart. Fairly light medium body for what one might expect, some tingle on the tongue up front with a nice woody dryness in the finish and hints of alcohol. The oxidation is starting to overpower other flavors in this nice sipper of a beer, but it is still drinking fairly well, although I wouldn't recommend ageing any further. A good beer that should probably have been drank sooner but I look forward to a new fresher version this winter for a resample / rerate.

11-10-2007 23:59:50 | More by hoppymeal
Photo of

3.7/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 Vintage. This is my second try, as the first bottle was bad. This one may be getting close to turning, but I chose to review it as a warning for others holding the 2004 vintage -- it may not be aging that well.

Hazy, deep burgundy color. Some light penetration, mostly at the edges. No head, no lacing, and, surprisingly, no legs.

Smell is very promising -- chocolate, honey/caramel, and raspberries as well as other dark fruits, such as figs and raisins. Faint hint of vinegar.

Taste departs a bit from smell. Quite tart, mainly the raspberry flavor, but that hint of vinegar comes back as well. Much more tart than sweet, overall. Touch of chocolate, bittersweet. Hint of caramel/toffee/butter.

Medium + body. No carbonation. A bit dry. Very silky/smooth texture.

This bottle was a big improvement over the first one I tried, but still not really my thing. For a fruity beer, this is very well done. For me at least, the smell led me to expect much more from the taste.

09-06-2007 13:30:13 | More by
BillyB

4.1/5  rDev -6.8%

2004 Vintage in a cute 187 ml bottle with red waxing over cap.

Pours a thick reddish brown, with no carbonation and no head at all. Dark ruby/black berry highlights when held up to the light.

Aromas of Raspberries, alcohol, dark fruit, other berries, wood, chocolate, caramel. Overwhelming aroma is alcohol.

Tastes are similar to aromas with some subtle raspberry tartness. Dark malt sweetness. Very strong alcohol warmth in the throat. This is a boozebomb!

Drinkability (taken into context as an after dinner dessert beer) is good. I could have one with a nice chocolate/raspberry cake after a big meal and then I'd be done.

08-19-2007 14:35:44 | More by BillyB
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

2004 vintage. Cute bottle, nicely waxed seal. Thanks to BadBeer for the trade.

Pours an oily and thick red-brown with blackberry highlights. Absolutely zero head or carbonation.

Aroma is pungent and complicated. A full range of berries and dark fruit is present. Figs, plums, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, boysenberries, huckleberries, etc… Quite woody as well with some chocolate and caramel. Unfortunately each of these aromas is quite rotten and completely booze soaked. The alcohol is so strong as to distract and detract form the aromatic experience.

Flavor is bold, full and ridiculously boozey. This is one of the most boozy beers I’ve had for sure. There are plenty of rich dark flavors but it is difficult to focus on them individually as an overriding, connective alcohol presence prohibits careful examination. Raspberry flavor is not as strong as I expected. In fact, it’s pretty weak. Most of the flavor derived from a malty caramel/mocha – rotten plum/molasses booziness. I don’t find it particularly pleasant.

Mouthfeel is much more akin to a syrupy after dinner liquor then a beer. There is no carbonation, but that is to be expected in this aged ABV bomb but further then that, there is very little here to set it apart from the sweet, strong, and syrupy qualities associated with a fruit liquor. It is certainly full bodied, hot, and exceedingly loaded with many flavors but it just doesn’t work for me.

Not very drinkable unless you are in to sweet, syrupy after dinner liquors. I am not.

08-10-2007 15:53:04 | More by DaPeculierDane
Wasatch

Utah

4.47/5  rDev +1.6%

Thanks goes out to ThomasHardy for this brew.

Small 6.3 oz. green bottle/Cranberry Waxed 2004 Vintage

Poured into a Unibroue chalice a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, fizzy little head, not much sticky lacing at all. The nose is raspberry, malty, and chocolate. The taste is malty, plenty of raspberry and chocolate, slightly bitter/tangy. Medium body. Very drinkable, this sucker is awesome, too bad you don't get much, highly recommended, thanks Brady.

08-09-2007 02:33:44 | More by Wasatch
bditty187

Nebraska

4.68/5  rDev +6.4%

Raspberry Eisbock seems like a fine beer to celebrate 5 years on BA!

2004 Vintage

187ml bottle

Dark ruby in hue, fairly opaque, but when backlit a bright garnet color emerges; the color is quite lovely. Short-lived off-white head, in seconds all the bubbles faded to a soapy collar, naked in the middle. Not surprisingly there was no lacing. The appearance is unremarkable (but nice to look at nevertheless). I can’t ask for too much out of a high alcohol beer.

Massive nose! Huge, rich malty aromas… caramel, chocolate, malted balls, plus chocolate covered raspberries, dried raspberries. Not to mention a wonderful boozy cognac aroma, raisin bread, and so much more it seems. This is a very complex nose! Wow. I’ve never smelled a beer like this… I love it! Huge potency, chatty, complex, my mouth waters with every sip. This is a hell of a dessert Eisbock. It is rich and powerful but with grace.

Hot palate… rum, brandy, fruity cognac, raspberry wine; whoa, my throat feels the burn. Milk chocolate covered raspberries, hints of espresso, cream, raisin bread, licorice, black currents with a splash of burnt sugar at the finish. I was expecting a fuller malt profile. By no means is the malt lacking, it is quite healthy but I was hoping for something more firm. Sweet throughout, almost cloying but with less than 7 ounces to drink how can I complain? I am forced to sip and savor. It is totally worth it.

Low carbonation, smooth mouthfeel; about full in body which fits this beer perfectly. Relaxing…

Funny, I could drink two or three of these little bottles in one setting. There has to be dozens of desserts to pair this with. Fantastic. Hell, it flies solo very well. I bet a creamy, rich cheese would rock too. Easily the best fruit beer I have ever tasted. My first beer from Kuhnhenn was a stud (as expected really). Bravo! Thank you RedHaze, I am glad I waited to drink this. I don’t know why I did but it was paid off in spades.

07-09-2007 17:22:26 | More by bditty187
bigman147

New Hampshire

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up 4 bottles last Christmas (2005 release) and had one while at the brewery

Appearance: Pours a deep reddish brown. Syrupy and with as it is swilled in the glass it has minimal carbonation. Legs of alcohol form on the glass as it settles (indicating the high alcohol).

Aroma: Smells of chocolate cake with a warm raspberry sauce. Complex malt and dark fruit aromas.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Heavy dark malt sweetness with a slight tart raspberry character. Somewhat syrupy and cloying with caramel and cake. Alcohol is hidden well but is definitely there in the finish with a slight throat burning. Carbonation is very light and only slight helps refresh the tongue from the syrupy sweetness.

Drinkability: This is definitely not an everyday beer. Even if you could get it. Its very complex and I still can't get past the chocolate and raspberry aroma. This would be an occasional sipper possibly for desert or with a dark chocolate sampler. $10 per bottle is a little steep but it is worth the occasional expense. If it was less or I could afford it, this would definitely be used in a raspberry reduction.

07-08-2007 18:05:25 | More by bigman147
baiser

4.13/5  rDev -6.1%

Had at the Montreal beer fest. It was poured from a 2004 bottle. Pours dark brown with red hues. Smallish head, not much retention. Aroma was very tart, with loads of raspberry, caramel and brandy. Very smooth and full bodied. Very low carbonation. So complex - toasty, malty yet tart with a nice raspberry flavour and fruity sweetness. Very strong at almost 14%, this one's definitely a sipper.

06-06-2007 02:02:41 | More by baiser
alexgash

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Tiny little, 6.3 oz. green bottle with a low-budget label that says it is from 2004. Served at 55 degrees F.

Pours a dark russet brown with coppery-rose edges. Small, short-lived, dirty sand brown head with patches of darker brown. Some gunk in the bottom of the bottle (is this bottle-conditioned). Nose is ripe with cherry and raspberry sweetness. The sweetness is intense and syrupy. Dark chocolate, caramel, and light raspberry tartness come through. Wow!

Taste starts with sweetish raspberry and cherry. Dark--intensely dark--chocolate comes in as the fruits become tarter. Caramel and rum in there as well. Light wood and sourish raspberry notes in a warming, alcoholic finish. Syrupy sweetness is always there, lurking. Nice. Medium-full body with a slightly syrupy feel. Light carbonation works well. A little sweet and rich for quaffing, but this beer is great for sipping out of a snifter late at night!

05-31-2007 02:37:00 | More by alexgash
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

6.3oz bottle gotten in a trade with grub. 2004 edition. I'm very thankful for this one, and I'm celebrating Liverpool making it to the Champions League Final...AGAIN!!! Poured into a snifter.

Pours with no head at all, none, just a few straggling bubbles that cling to the side of the glass. Very opaque with some cola-like colouring around the edges of the glass. Carbonation is dead. Smell is delicious, bursts of caramel, chocolate, raspberry, and a bit of a sharp cheesy note in the back. Other dark fruity notes appear, some plums and raisins. This is what dessert in a glass is, smell is extremely rich.

Taste is complex and wonderful. The tangy, sour raspberry notes dominate at first, then give way to the more rich chocolate flavour. A bit of caramel, and a roasted bitterness akin to unsweetened chocolate. The cream cheese notes come through more as the beer warms. There's also an enjoyable woodiness to the flavour that I liked. I usually have a hard time with beers brewed with fruit, but this is well done and dosen't give me heartburn, which helps. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, sticky as hell. Carbonation is very low, but I wouldn't expect anything else. This is a really unique Eisbock, tart as all get out, but complex and an experience unto itself. More than one? Probably not... but it is drinkable.

05-03-2007 03:15:14 | More by trevorwideman
Mebuzzard

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a thick, syrup looking deep ruby/brown. Head tried to stand up, but failed to make it past a 1/2 finger. Off red color, no retention.
Chocolate and raspberries permiate the nose and leave nothing else to come through. Very rich, smells like a chocolate cheesecake with raspberries on top.
Tastes like it too. Baked dark chocolate and smushed raspberries. Hints of burnt caramel and wet grass.
Feels like syrup. Thick and gooey. Best for after dinner. Shared a small bottle. And that was enough. Very rich

04-20-2007 20:27:27 | More by Mebuzzard
tjthresh

Indiana

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Sweet Jesus, what a huge nose on this bear. Pounds and pounds of chocolate and raspberries. Tawny, chocolaty brown with a short lived lighter brown head. The flavor is a nice blend of Carmel, chocolate, raspberry, and alcohol. I’m a bit surprised how restrained the flavor is. I was expecting something even more than this. Rich and chewy palate makes for a sipping beer. This beer is certainly one to be sought out, but be sure to be coming into this experience with a level head. You may be let down.

04-18-2007 21:34:46 | More by tjthresh