Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,290
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 442 | Hads: 1,145
4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

2004 bottle.

Appearance - Comes in a tiny 6.3 oz wax-dipped bottle - nice presentation. Thick and nearly opaque ruddy brown. No head whatsoever, though a touch of carbonation is visible.

Smell - The scent of chocolate-covered raspberries wafts out of the bottle as soon as the cap comes off. Closer inspection reveals notes of caramel and vanilla. I'm not sure if this is oak-aged, but it has a very woody aroma that I find common in oaked beers.

Taste - Sweet-sour raspberries, chocolate and caramel. Pretty decadent stuff. Not as sweet as I was expecting, which may or may not be the result of extended aging; I haven't tried this fresh, so I have nothing to compare it to. Alcohol is felt more than tasted - the beer has a pleasant warming quality in the throat, much like a nice port. The aftertaste is surprisingly dry and gentle, making it easy to reach for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Velvety-smooth and very full on the tongue. Carbonation is gentle but still felt.

Drinkability - Ridiculously drinkable considering the alcohol and sheer weight of the brew. The slightly sour, drying finish really amplifies the drinkability.

Notes - A huge thanks to london1o1 for the chance to try this elusive beer.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

I got this bottle in a trade with hoppymeal. Thanks Derek!

It pours from 187ml bottle(2007) a cloudy brown/amber with a very small head of foam that shrinks to just a ring around the glass almost immediately.

The smell is *very* nice. I get notes of raspberry, vanilla, and some caramel malt...maybe? Hard to tell.

The taste has oodles of raspberry up front followed by a *very* malty base that I'm finding hard to describe as I've never encountered that taste before. I can taste some caramel malt, maybe some butterscotch(?), some kind of tartness probably from the raspberry and wow...this son of a gun is *so* tasty and yeah, the abv is right up there and I can feel the warming but I'm enjoying it. Wow. This one gets better and better with each sip. I'm now grabbing the bottle and pouring in my glass every drop that I can get! I'm serious!

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and it finishes with a raspberry/honey flavour that you just wish would never end. Man, this is a world class brew and I'm so happy to have had a chance to try it. Mucho thanks again to hoppymeal for one fine drinking experience!!

4.24/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Pours a deep scarlet, very similar to fourth dimensia only without a head.

S- Second brew i've tried from kuhnhenn, second absolutely intoxicating aroma. Deep raspberries much like New Glarus raspberry tart but there's something behind it, namely a well hidden alcohol aroma that lingers in the nostrils.

T- Much more interesting of a brew than the aroma let on. Nice, however truncated, raspberry flavor followed by quite a bit of alcohol warming. This beer is very hot right now and I think it would round out a little more with some age under its belt.

M- Thick with ample carbonation.

D- It's hard to comment on the drinkability of this beer. On one hand, I love it's complexity but on the other the booziness needs to cool off a bit. An amazing brew that i'm sure i'll try again.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

2007 vintage. 6.3oz. Pours a dark brown color with some garnet/ruby edges. No head at all, but to be expected from this big beer in a small bottle.

Big toffee, caramel aroma backed by some raspberries and a hint of chocolate. Maybe a bit of ripe fruit softly in the background. Pretty nice to sit and smell this one for a while.

Huge blast of sugary caramel, which stops short of being cloying. Some alcohol, then a bit of slightly sweet and sour raspberries. Slightly sweet and sour flavor lingers forever. I could still taste this several minutes after taking a sip. Very impressive.

Thick, alomst syrupy, with very low carbonation level. Some warming from alcohol. Stops short of being too sweet, but a very rich, dessert brew. Great for after dinner. I really liked this one. Very well made.

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%

Drank on-tap at the Hop Devil Grill & the Belgian Room, New York, NY

I was lucky enough to try a sample of this at the Hop Devil Grill's 2nd Annual Strong Ale Festival.

Poured a dark, translucent mahogany with a tight, one-finger, saddle brown head. The head quickly faded to a lasting ring of lace.

The aroma was amazingly complex and aromatic. Fruity, raspberry jam-like notes stood out against a perplexing backdrop of toffee, brown sugar, bourbon and maple syrup. Sweet to the nose but definitely not overly-so.

The taste was similar to the aroma but deeper, darker and drier. Spicy, woody, toasted malts melded with sweet-ish notes of brown sugar, bourbon and vanilla. The bright, fruity, raspberry flavor was both sweet and tart, and noticeable yet not overwhelming. As the beer warmed, the alcohol finally made its presence known, lending a pleasant warming in the back of the mouth. The finish was slightly hoppy and quite dry, providing the perfect balance to this modestly sweet dessert beer.

Mouthfeel was smooth, creamy and medium bodied with a fine, mild carbonation.

Drinkability was rather impressive. Even as a high alcohol dessert beer, I could definitely sip this stuff all night long.

4.76/5  rDev +8.7%

Hmmm...I hope I am in the right place...my bottle doesn't look anything like the one in the photo and my ABV is listed as 11.9% but it says it is Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock and I don't see another listing anywhere.

This one pours an opaque reddish amber with a faint head that disappears immediately leaving nothing in it's wake.

Aroma is incredibly all raspberries, chocolate, and creamy butter.

Taste is raspberry, toffee, pure candy and desert like....hard to describe other than 'I like it'.

Not much like a beer, but much like a desert..and much liked.

4.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to mcallister and kryptic (got some from both) for the trades.

This one pours dark brown with some red cloudy tint and a small head. The nose is slightly raspberry and some chocolate and alcohol. The taste is quite divine with mostly chocolate taste, raspberries are there but not as much as I expected. Very smooth finish with good chocolate and raspberry flavors on the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is golden on this one with an awesome thickness and sweet sugary residue. Drinkability is second to none as 13% beers go. An awesome desert treat beer from kuhnhenn. Great beer, excited to see how these cellar.

4.97/5  rDev +13.5%

2004 187ml bottle.

A- Great appearance, pours very dark brown with a strong overtone of ruby added to it. Little to no head, only deduction.

S- Cornocopia of smells. Raspberry and chocolate dominate with some hints of cherry. Smells sweet.

T- Taste is even more diverse than the smell. Tart with strong raspberry flavor. As it goes down, chocolate becomes more dominate. Finishes off with a bite of alcohol. Well rounded. Not to sweet, not too bitter, lives up to the reputation.

M- Light mouthfeel, with some heavy alcohol bite to it.

D- This is a great beer to sit down with and enjoy. It takes some time to truely enjoy this beer.

It is worth the hype and the price. Gotta get some 2007 and see what that is like.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2004, 187 ml bottle, labeled and capped without wax.This was slated for my "finally got a job" beer, but Firestone 10 now fills that role and I don't wanna let this one go too long.

a: Opens with a weak release of pressure. Into my Piraat snifter. Zero head, and the beer is a deep amber-brown with strong ruby hues. Can't expect much head from a beer like this, so I won't take off more than 0.5...and the color is gorgeous.

s: Ridiculous. Sweet, complex caramel and brown-sugary toasted malts support rich milk and bittersweet chocolates, cherry-chocolate, raspberry-chocolate-booze, malted raisin and date, all types of chocolate-raspberry dessert concoctions topped with a sugar-cognac reduction. A touch of sour gives balance to the rich malt and chocolate sweetness.

m: Ultra-light, practically nonexistent carbonation with a fuller body. The near complete lack of carbonation is just fine with me. Cleans up exceptionally well. A touch more thickness would make it perfect.

t: The first sip took me a bit by surprise. Great progression of flavor from start to finish. Big, caramel malt and candied raspberry flavors at first with notes of bittersweet chocolate. The chocolate gradually takes the center as the malt slickness fades, and the sip finishes long and slow with raspberry and dry dark chocolate. I swear there's even woody coffee bean in the flavor, I just can't pin it down.

d: The abv is present in just the right amount, and this is a very enjoyable sipper. Lives up to the high regard.

from zrrbrrt in No BS Beta

3.27/5  rDev -25.3%

A - dark crimson, ruddy reddish, with a brown lace that rims the glass when swirled, otherwise there is no discernible head

S - big on the caramel and chocolate malts, the rest of the aroma is alcohol and raspberry puree, with the alcohol being more prominent

T - of course i can taste the raspberrys, but its not what i expected. the biggest flavors are alcohol, licorice, and caramel; but its much more than bitter than i expected, tho only chocolate i can taste is at the end, a bit of super-bitter bakers chocolate

M&D - smooth, definitely, to the point of nearly syupy, a bit to bitter to be easy to drink. it definitely got better as it sat. maybe i overhyped this beer, maybe it past, maybe the flight home effected it. well brewed, i need to get another to compare

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 187ml bottle into two small snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

2007 Vintage

A: Pours a murky reddish-brown color with no head, a tiny ring, and no skim.

S: Raspberry and caramel with a healthy helping of milk chocolate.

T: Juicy, spicy raspberry with melted caramel and chocolate sauce. Spicy alcohol heat and a raspberry Tootsie Roll flavor.

M: Dry, spicy, and juicy. Thick, creamy, and coating. Slightly tart.

D: Considering the abv, this is a relatively easy beer to enjoy. Quite complex and certainly very interesting.

4.69/5  rDev +7.1%

Had this at the Winter Solstice party.

Pours a deep brown with a reddish hue as it settles. When it came to me it had a small head that didn't stick around for too long. No lacing detected.

Very sweet malt and raspberries. Raspberries all day long.

Just like the smell, it was definitely raspberries but there wasn't any tartness. Very delicious. I picked up on the malt but not so much on the bitterness though I did get a hint of the hops during the aftertaste.

Somewhat carbonated. I was expecting more of a smoother drink from the reviews here but I'm sure that has to do with age. Nice and thick...heavy almost.

This was a damn fine drink from Kuhnhenn's and I can see why it won an award. The beer is excellent fresh and has unlimited potential when aged.

3.18/5  rDev -27.4%

$9.99 for a 187ml bottle. 2007 edition. Purchased at Merchant's in Dearborn. They got in 5 cases of the stuff if anyone is looking for some. Pours out to a somewhat hazy very dark brown, not forming a head, but just a slight ring of bubbles. Absent carbonation. The aroma is very powerful...sweet milk chocolate, raspberries, caramel and liquid tootsie rolls. Mouthfeel is initially tart and acidic and ends a little peppery from the alcohol. Dense syrupy body. The taste is basically tootsie rolls, caramel, raspberry, and stinging alcohol. The chocolate flavor is very artifical, like creme de cacao. There is a disturbing chemical bitterness in here which I don't care for, and it gets worse as it warms. If it was absent, this would be much better.

Hrmmm. Not impressed with this. Definitely not worth the $10 price and all the hype. I drank another bottle with 2 other beer loving friends a few days ago and they weren't very impressed either, thinking it was a waste of money. Wouldn't buy it again, nor would I recommend it. There are so many other great beers like this that are considerably cheaper and taste much better.

2004 vintage. Thanks to northerntimber for this one which I received in my first trade about a year and a half ago.

Beautiful wax-covered miniature bottle poured into my Corsendonk tuilip with a dark brown color, almost pitch-black, with absolutely no head and only a small crown of thin foam along the top. This thing pours more like motor oil than a beer, very thick. Surprised to see the bottle is actually green upon emptying.

Aroma is...wow. Dark chocolate, and incredibly sweet. The raspberry flavor is subtle at first but grows as it warms up. Huge cognac flavor and even similar to Chambord. Lighter bready and brown sugar malts and even a hint of raisin -- actually along with the chocolate it kind of reminds me of Raisinettes.

I don't remember the last time I took one sip of a beer and said the words "oh my God" out loud, but I just did it tonight. Warm alcohol flavor and perfect combination of bitterness and sweetness with the chocolate and fruitiness. I could probably go on but frankly, my palette is overwhelmed and there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said in previous reviews.

This is very thick, almost syrupy. Actually, it almost feels more like a liqueur than a beer. But the flavor alone is so awesome I could see myself getting into a lot of trouble with these.

I was actually expecting to be disappointed in this, anything that receives so much hype I thought could never live up to it. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have never given a beer a 5.0 rating before and I honestly never thought I would, but this little baby transcends the realm of beer. The only word to describe this thing is... "wow."

4.38/5  rDev 0%

First off, I can understand why this comes in 6.5 ounce bottles. Second off, wow.

Pours a ruby tint with absolutely no head. Nose is total raspberry funk with what seems like almost a plastic type of character to it. Flavor is strong raspberry with thick malts. I never really felt that alcohol was present flavor wise. Feel is a bit thicker on liquid and low on carbonation. I also get a slight gritty kind of edge. Not so much that it ruins the experience, but enough to notice. I kind of take it like it is one step below being too much. If it was pushed any further, it wouldn't work. But overall, it does work since it is so damn unique. I have to say that two ounces of this would probably be good enough for me unless I had a long while to really dwell on the bottle or in this case what was served to me off the tap.

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

2004 Vintage - 6.3 oz

A - Hazy, mahogony, crimson with no head, no bubbles and no lacing.

S - Initial aroma is of a stale boozy old ale. After a few sips I pick of chocolate covered berries, dark fruits, figs and raisins. An oxidized, boozy strong ale aroma makes itself present every now and then.

T - Sweet with an alcohol bite. Sweet chocolate covered raspberries and blackberries. It has a raspberry licquer or cheap wine flavor along with a malty chocolate cake.

M - Thick and syrupy with little to no carbonation. It fits the after dinner sipper mentioned on the label.

D - I think age has gotten to this one a little bit. I have had samples at the Great Taste before and remember it being better than this. It still makes a nice sipper by a warm fire.

4.14/5  rDev -5.5%

Had on tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor (always good to know your bartender).

A- My 5oz comes in a snifter, a brown color with ruby-red highlights. No head, barely even any bubbles, and no lacing on this one.

S- A great buzz of raspberries, with some sweeter malt. Strong, but maybe that's just the snifter.

T- A great incorporation of raspberry flavor. There isn't the raspberry sweetness, but some tang, and the flavor seems like it come straight from the oil seed. There is also some slight earthy bitterness in the back of the mouth that gives this beer a great balance.

M- I didn't know how potent this beer was until I checked it out here, but I could barely taste any alcohol. I would've rated it as a well hidden 8%, but 13.5%, holy shit! How is there no alcohol in the nose? How is there no burn in my mouth or throat? I suppose I'm taking quite small sips (conserve the 5oz!) but even so, smooth as a baby's bottom.

D- Delicious, and dangerously drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

187 ml (6.3 ounces) bottle received in a generous trade from drseamus, thanks for giving me a chance to drink this beer, and sorry FedEx was so lame, but you should be a happy camper as well in a week or so

2004 Vintage, I have never drank a beer that is three years old, quite a big step for me

Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter with a deep dark brown color that was much lighter when held up to the light, also had a tint of dark red, 1/8 inch vanilla colored that settled immediately, but left small lacing on the bottom of my glass

Smell was mostly deep chocolate aromas, also some caramel and other sweet malt, a hint of citrus, of course a lot of berry in the smell as well

Taste was great, even better than the Raspberry Tart from New Glarus, start off with sour raspberries, then fades into a sweetness with them, it is followed by a thick cocoa flavor, there also some small tastes of tangerine as it gets warmer, gets a lot sweeter as it warms as well, only sour for the first few sips, but was better in my opinion, I recommend serving this one chilled rather than room temperature, the caramel finish and long lasting aftertaste rounded this brew out, really enjoyed the molasses texture and the syrupy warmness caused by the beer, the tastes were all separated nicely and as one mellowed it turned into the next, the raspberry flavor in this was very tasty with sourness and a thick sweet taste at the end

Not much carbonation at all, but what can you really expect from a beer that is three years old, good mouthfeel with a taste that kept on kicking for minutes after each sip

Could drink lots of this, but at 13.5%, it is a serious eisbock, not too heavy on the stomach though, wish the bottle would have been bigger, but it was a cool design and a good amount of this beer to sip on after a big dinner tonight

First Kuhnhenn beer, but plan to pop the Fourth Dementia I got in my closet real soon, this beer was great and I am surprised how good it helped up since it was bottled, only wish I could have tried it fresh to compare but I cannot complain, highly recommend if you can find somebody willing to trade for it

Bottled in 2004, this tiny jewel of beer goodness pours a woody, copperish, orange/amber with a very thin pearl head that recedes but leaves some nice walls when rolled in a short taster. Pour this bit of perfection in to a glass suited for sipping.

I have no idea how many beers I've tried, maybe 1,500 to 2,000 or so, and I have never had anything that comes close to this beer as far as aroma is concerned. Sublime, pure and simple. Sweet malty caramel covering warm ripe raspberries. Malty bread-like toffee and molasses; raspberry streusel. Heavily fermented fruit and milk chocolate. The berries never dull and I notice something new with every smell and/or sip. Absurdly complex and decadent. I could barely bring myself to finish the beer for fear I would miss the aroma too much.

The flavor does manage to do the aroma justice some how. Syrupy and sweet with an insanely complex mix of slightly roasted malt, caramel, molasses, crushed raspberries, citrus, a tannin like quality, alcohol, and a bready gluttonous thickness. Decadent and impressively complex. Almost unbelievable. Absolutely ideal; there may be some odd, small characteristic that could be tweaked to make this beer even better; but for now I have no idea what that is. Maybe a larger bottle?

Syrupy, thick, warm decadence. The flavor and body of the beer linger on the tongue, teasing me long after I've finished. I'm fairly sure that they've found a way to bottle Christmas. I'm already jonesing here. It’s difficult to say but I'm fairly sure this is the best beer I've ever had.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Was bestowed an advanced taste of this magnificent beer at the November meeting of the Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers (KGB) Homebrew Club.

Smooth, creamy and delicious are just some of the adjectives that describe this beer. the only knock is it is still a tiny bit cloudy but I can overlook that as this was an advanced taste of the December 21st scheduled release.

The Kuhnhenn Brothers have outdone themselves yet again. It is great to see this award winning brew back in the available column.

This is the 04 but from th 2nd bottling in december 06. Pours still, cola brown to black with reddish hues. Some good chunks end up in the glass with a bunch retained in the bottle as well. Aroma shows some nice raspberry and heavy oxidation. Buttery caramel, fresh baked cake like aroma, and chocolate as well as a good amt of soy sauce and hints of leather. Taste follows with a nice chocolate covered raspberry flavor before the soy sauced oxidized flavors interrupt. Hints of leather and wood in the flavor as well. Finish is nice and slightly drying with a raspberry flavor that verges on being tart. Fairly light medium body for what one might expect, some tingle on the tongue up front with a nice woody dryness in the finish and hints of alcohol. The oxidation is starting to overpower other flavors in this nice sipper of a beer, but it is still drinking fairly well, although I wouldn't recommend ageing any further. A good beer that should probably have been drank sooner but I look forward to a new fresher version this winter for a resample / rerate.

Photo of
3.72/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 Vintage. This is my second try, as the first bottle was bad. This one may be getting close to turning, but I chose to review it as a warning for others holding the 2004 vintage -- it may not be aging that well.

Hazy, deep burgundy color. Some light penetration, mostly at the edges. No head, no lacing, and, surprisingly, no legs.

Smell is very promising -- chocolate, honey/caramel, and raspberries as well as other dark fruits, such as figs and raisins. Faint hint of vinegar.

Taste departs a bit from smell. Quite tart, mainly the raspberry flavor, but that hint of vinegar comes back as well. Much more tart than sweet, overall. Touch of chocolate, bittersweet. Hint of caramel/toffee/butter.

Medium + body. No carbonation. A bit dry. Very silky/smooth texture.

This bottle was a big improvement over the first one I tried, but still not really my thing. For a fruity beer, this is very well done. For me at least, the smell led me to expect much more from the taste.

4.12/5  rDev -5.9%

2004 Vintage in a cute 187 ml bottle with red waxing over cap.

Pours a thick reddish brown, with no carbonation and no head at all. Dark ruby/black berry highlights when held up to the light.

Aromas of Raspberries, alcohol, dark fruit, other berries, wood, chocolate, caramel. Overwhelming aroma is alcohol.

Tastes are similar to aromas with some subtle raspberry tartness. Dark malt sweetness. Very strong alcohol warmth in the throat. This is a boozebomb!

Drinkability (taken into context as an after dinner dessert beer) is good. I could have one with a nice chocolate/raspberry cake after a big meal and then I'd be done.

3.03/5  rDev -30.8%

2004 vintage. Cute bottle, nicely waxed seal. Thanks to BadBeer for the trade.

Pours an oily and thick red-brown with blackberry highlights. Absolutely zero head or carbonation.

Aroma is pungent and complicated. A full range of berries and dark fruit is present. Figs, plums, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, boysenberries, huckleberries, etc… Quite woody as well with some chocolate and caramel. Unfortunately each of these aromas is quite rotten and completely booze soaked. The alcohol is so strong as to distract and detract form the aromatic experience.

Flavor is bold, full and ridiculously boozey. This is one of the most boozy beers I’ve had for sure. There are plenty of rich dark flavors but it is difficult to focus on them individually as an overriding, connective alcohol presence prohibits careful examination. Raspberry flavor is not as strong as I expected. In fact, it’s pretty weak. Most of the flavor derived from a malty caramel/mocha – rotten plum/molasses booziness. I don’t find it particularly pleasant.

Mouthfeel is much more akin to a syrupy after dinner liquor then a beer. There is no carbonation, but that is to be expected in this aged ABV bomb but further then that, there is very little here to set it apart from the sweet, strong, and syrupy qualities associated with a fruit liquor. It is certainly full bodied, hot, and exceedingly loaded with many flavors but it just doesn’t work for me.

Not very drinkable unless you are in to sweet, syrupy after dinner liquors. I am not.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Thanks goes out to ThomasHardy for this brew.

Small 6.3 oz. green bottle/Cranberry Waxed 2004 Vintage

Poured into a Unibroue chalice a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, fizzy little head, not much sticky lacing at all. The nose is raspberry, malty, and chocolate. The taste is malty, plenty of raspberry and chocolate, slightly bitter/tangy. Medium body. Very drinkable, this sucker is awesome, too bad you don't get much, highly recommended, thanks Brady.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company