Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,242
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Not a real site to be honest with you. Pours a reddish brown hue with a very wimpy head.

S: The appearence left me wondering, but at first whiff I knew I had a winner. Holy shit this one is beautiful. Think freshberries drizzled with caramel and hot fudge. I have not had a dessert in quite sometime with an aroma this wonderful.

T: After smelling this one, I had to dive in and give it a sip. WOW!!! I have had eisbock's before and I was some what luke warm to them. Well this is a totally different. The flavors are some of the most complex I have ever tasted. Think Fresh Ripe Indiana Raspberries, Wonderful Creamy Caramel, and the Best Belgian Chocolate known to man mixed together and put in a bottle. That is what this one is. Soo complex, soo wonderful, soo good. The flavors are so dynamic yet seperate. They do not compete with each other at all.

M: Thick and syrupy with ample carbonation.

D: Very little indication of the ABV. The flavor makes you wish this one came by the bomber.

Overall: This is one had I been after for quite sometime. I was glad to acquire it, and even happier with the first taste. The flavors and aromas are hard to beat. Most brewers out there try to replicate world class brews. There is a reason no one else it putting out something like this one. This beer is world class and can not be duplicated. No doubt about it this is one of the best beers in the world. Kuhnhenn hit a grand slam with this one. GET IT AT ANY COST!!!

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

2004 bottle

Appearance: After exploding from the bottle, pours a hazy black cherry soda color with a head that quickly disappears to a ringlet

Smell: Intense chocolate covered cherry aroma

Taste: The raspberry liquid filled chocolate candy literally coats the tongue and builds in a subtly sour direction by mid-palate; the sour complexity lingers after the swallow as the rich chocolate flavors build in intensity to the finish, which lasts forever

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, with modest carbonation

Drinkability: A fantastic sipper that I could enjoy for hours in small doses

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Poured into a tulip out of a 6.7 oz bottle from the 2007 stash. Pours a dark brown almost burgandy color with no head or carbonation present.

S-has a very rich smell, of chocolate, alcohol and malt.

T-a truely one of a kind beer, almost like a cognac with less alcohol. The alcohol does come through, but overall its a chocolate flavor that prevails with hints of raspberries.

M-a thick smooth beer. The mouthfeel can really be appreciated as it warms, almost syrup like.

D-A great beer, nothing that I would drink a large amount of, but very good none the less. Hard to believe that this beer is considered to be a relative of the common lager.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

2007 vintage, poured from a 6oz bottle. It pours a dark brown with reddish highlights, and a light layer of foam on top that fades to the center. Smell is of chocolate covered raspberries. Rich and sweet. Taste follows suit, with an intense raspberry flavor dominating, mixed with some chocolate, caramel, and sugary sweetness. This is definitely a dessert drink. Mouthfeel is thick and rich, almost no carbonation whatsoever. As I'm not a huge fan of raspberry, this brew doesn't do a lot for me, but I do have to say it's incredibly well done for a raspberry brew. It's definitely a sipper, and would be a fitting dessert. It's almost drinks like a port would. Quite enjoyable overall.

4.15/5  rDev -5.7%

6.3oz bottle obtained via trade with goryshkewych. Thanks for the opportunity... 2007 vintage, green bottle.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a light skim of tiny bubbles over the cloudy orangey brown brew. FIlm of a head shrinks into a small bubble island in the center of the glass, and leggy lace is of the teensy bubble variety. Aroma is leathery and vinous, not as sharply fruity as I experinced int he 04 version. Flavor is sweet chocolate, with fruitiness coming out more and more as time wears on. Alcohol comes hand-in-hand with the raspberry character. Mouthfeel and drinkability are quite good, but this version is just not up to the very high expectations I had. Will have to try again. Glad I still have that little bottle of 04 tucked away in the cellar...

12/31/05 - 4/4.5/5/5/5
6.3oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity... 2004 vintage, green bottle with red wax-dipped cap.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a minimal beige head over clear burgundy brew. What head there was quickly fades into a swirly, uneven layer of small bubbles, and lacing is bubbly and prevalent, considering the head or lack thereof, although it should be noted that the style and abv isn't particularly conducive to head. Aroma is earthy raspberries and chocolate over alcohol. Flavor is incredible, it really does taste like raspberry chocolate sauce, without being cloying at all. Alcohol is well-hidden. Mouthfeel and drinkability are incredible for what the brew is. Amazing. Almost makes one wonder if with a little reduction this would make a great dessert sauce. But experimenting with such an exemplary brew would almost be heresy...

4.18/5  rDev -5%

cracked this baby open to celebrate the birth of our first child. Poured a dark crimson red, with a short tan head. some big chunks floating in my glass. Head stays put for the duration and becomes creamier, which is nice. Smells of thick raspberries, notes of chocolate, alcohol obvious but not off-putting. Huge sour raspberry taste, but offset by an equally huge chocolate malt presence that balances it perfectly. Alcohol lends a touch of bitterness to the raspberry. Finish is a nice bitter chocolate with hints of fruit. Thick and sticky, full bodied and decadent. Drinks great, though becomes slightly cloying towards the end of it. I think the bottle size is appropriate, even for splitting between two people.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours syrupy reddish-brown into a snifter. A modest head quickly dissipates away, frankly, I'm surprised it even appeared at all on a beer this big. Smell is huge on the berries with a strong malty base. Very strong.

The flavour is like drinking malt-infused raspberry mash...sticky sweet with a huge berry presence. Baker's chocolate lingers, and the malts occasionally segue into caramel as well. The highlight is the huge berry presence though. Great stuff.

The mouthfeel, absolutely perfect...extremely sticky and full. Drinkability, in terms of the actual consumption of, fine. I like big beers, I like fruit beers, and I like sweet beers, this delivers on all fronts. It has to be dinged a skosh here because of the price factor though, I won't be rebuying this very often because it is such an expensive brew.

The bottom line: If you like sweet malty beers, and you like raspberries, then Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock is a must try.

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

When I first heard about this beer I knew I had to have it. I was fortunate enough to sample it at the 2008 BA EBF and it didn't let me down. I want to thank tayner and mikesgroove for this special treat.

187 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2007 Vintage.

Pours a dark ruby with a thin layer of brown head that quickly disappears. Tiny bubbles remain here and there with bits of legging when you swirl the glass. Smell is one of a kind. Dark chocolate, ripe raspberries, fresh strawberries, and caramel covered apples. Smooth whip cream and a hint of booze in the nose as well. I could sit here and smell this beauty forever, but that's not what beer is for ;) Flavor is raspberries and creamy caramel, go figure. A very nice blueberry sweetness compliments perfectly. Maple and chocolate syrup combine for even more amazing tastes. The alcohol stings slightly as it flows down the throat, but it's 11.9% people, what did you expect? Mouthfeel is thick and sticky with a higher than expected carbonation. Perfect after dinner treat. What a wonderful beer experience. I urge all BA's to get your hands on this Kuhnhenn gem.

4.22/5  rDev -4.1%

Thanks to hoppymeal for this one. Vintage 2007.

This one pours a bright strawberry and amber that fades to a peppery yellow and then to nearly clear. No head on this one at all.

Smells of cotton candy, maple syrup, caramels, chocolate and raspberry hard candies from grandma's house with a little bit of alcohol.

Tastes surprisingly thin with a rough cane sugar and a touch of molasses and honey. There's a powerful but delicately smooth alcohol here. Finishes up sweetly with chocolate that melts into thin raspberry hard candies.

Fells light and thin that really helps with the delivery.

A candidate for aging without question. I'd like to be at the next release to pick up a case to slowly sip on over a decade.

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 6.3oz. bottle with dark red wax around the cap. As I pour this beer I am shocked by the amount of head this beer has, about one finger of even tan head that quickly disapates to just a skim. Body is a blackish red that has hints of brown on the edges when held to light. The nose on this beer is an experience in itself. Tones of chocolate raspberry bon bons, fresh soft toffee and maple poured over Belgian waffles, wow this is amazing. Now to taste. Enters the mouth rich and warming with bold balance of raspberry and coco. An even toffee like richness carries the body of this beer throughout the palate. This beer is like eating the well made masterpiece of a skilled chocolatier. The alchol is listed at 13.5% but it is hard to believe based on how well it is hidden. Mouthfeel is rich and desert like satisfying. This is pure beer drinking heaven even if it is a little sweet for sum, I love it. Easily a top ten favorite of mine.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Looks like a cross between a red wine and cough syrup. No head, no lace. Just a thick syrupy burgandy liquid in the glass.
Smells like chocolate covered raspberries. Mmmmm and yummy.
Very interesting flavor profile. Chocolate covered raspberries. Alcohol kick in the finish. The raspberries add a delightful bitterness and the alcohol add some sharpness and spiciness to the flavor profile.
Mouthfill is thick and syrupy like. Very low carbonated. This beer also has a fullness to it so that the 7oz bottle is enough.
I really like this beer but I think I could only drink one bottle and as a desert beer at that. The serving size is perfect for this beer.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a ruby brown. Very clear with slowly rising carbonation. Thin ring settles to nothing with no lacing. It looked so damn thick going into the glass, almost like cough syrup.

Hmm...almost has a cough syrup smell. Robitussin or something. Nah, I'm just letting that pour get to me. Such a rich smelling beer. Caramel and chocolate drenched raspberries. Doesn't seem like I'm smelling beer, that's for sure. Seductive if a beer ever could be when it comes to the nose. I think there's some toffee in here but do I smell butterscotch, too?

Very sweet and succulent taste. Rich and delightful. Again, pure raspberry juice, blended well with chocolate and caramel. Somewhat buttery undertones. Definite alcohol warming and malty all the way.

Mouthfeel is so thick and syrupy, almost too much for me to handle. Low carbonation leads to this fullness...and filling it is.

I like it, a lot. I just can't see myself drinking any more than this serving. It's been half an hour and I'm not near done. Drink this very slowly and appreciate. Seriously, one of the slowest drinking beers I've ever had, it's that bold.

Thanks, Derek!

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Finally had a chance to sample this fabled beer. And I do not mean sample, as it comes in this teensy tinsy bottle that must contain five or six oz., at most.

Pours a hazy reddish brown. No real head to speak of. Smell is overwhelmingly chocolate and raspberry. Taste is more of the same, with some caramel and a nice smooth semi-bitter after-taste. Absolutely overpoweringly flavorful, and a perfect dessert beer. The raspberry flavor is truly amazing. Rich and explosive. The carbonation was light, but did just enough to offset the heavy character and flavor of this beer.

Delightful.

2007 version, poured from a 183 mL bottle, courtesy of tayner

A: Pours a very rusty looking brown, no head to speak up. No lace.

S: A mix of fresh raspberry, caramel, hint of chocolate, all bolstered by a sweet malt backbone. Aroma is very candy-like. Like a raspberry candy or like a light chocolate covered raspberry candy you may find in a box of chocolates.

T: Caramel and raspberry again. A bit of a toasted malt and bitterness in the back end. A bit of spicy alcohol. Sweet malty tones throughout. The taste really makes you think of that you biting into the fruit. Not juicy, but like you are actually eating the fruit but with out any type of astringency that would hurt the mouthfeel.

M/D: Full bodied, very light carbonation, alcohol is concealed well enough. Drinkability is nice. 13.50% hampers it a bit, plus it is so dang rich I would probably would only what it with desert, or as desert. Very good brew.

Could be one of the best beers in the world. I am not kidding. These guys can make a fantastic beer.

Best dessert beer ever....even better than their Tenacious Cassis.

Served in a snifter....very dark red. Almost blood like...well at $13/ 6 oz I guess it is blood.

The aroma was awesome. The flavor was even better. The beer attacked my senses.

Very little head, and slight legs. But who cares....the flavor was unreal...sweet, bitter and it kept gropwing. Chocolate, Rasberry, slight alcohol but WOW.

Since I had this on VD, it was my present to myself....sorry ladies...BEER wins! Best chocolates EVER!

Very rich and like a woman it makes you want more when you are done. Very smooth and rich, even in the aroma.

4.3/5  rDev -2.3%

Ahh, the infamous Raspberry Eisbock, the quintessential dessert beer. Not much more can be said about the hype surrounding this one, been a long time coming for me to try this. First off, I was thrilled to be able to finally try this one. So much hype surrounding it and I have been trying to get a hold of it for what seemed like forever now, and I was finally able to get a bottle a few weeks ago and have been waiting to try it anxiously. Last night I decided was the night, I was going to be giving this one a try. Went to the cellar and pulled out the 2007 vintage bottle, perfectly chilled to 50.2 degrees, and proceeded to pour this tiny little bottle, 175ml into a Rodenbach Grand Cru Chalice.

A - Poured into my glass with little to know fan fare associated with it. No head at all, no lace, no bubbles, no nothing. Really quite strange, as I expected this behemoth of a beer, in a little tiny bottle mind you, but this was just not there. There was nothing there at all, which to be honest seemed a bit strange to me. The color on it was fantastic, a very deep rusty brown with loads of ruby tinted hints riddled throughout the glass. Really took on a wonderful color and a I was really most impressed by this factor. Though it looked rather lifeless in the glass, the color spoke for itself, just a very nice caramel, hazy and ruddy color, with hints of red, really looked like a dessert filling.

S - The aroma came at you straight out of a Valentine's Day box of chocolate. I really have never had a beer smell like this before. I have had many a dessert beer, Fruit beer, RIS, but nothing that comes close to this. The first thing that came across was a rich blend of toffee and chocolate. Very smooth and rich, even in the aroma, it was like walking into a candy store what came next. Rich tones of raspberry mixing and melting in with everything that came before and after. Hints of oak perhaps, vanilla definitely though. Truly, unlike anything I had been around before. Very sweet, but at the same time, kind of tart. There was a slight touch of alcohol, but barely discernable from the wonderful candy like smells that preceded it.

T - The flavor was like something out of this world. There is really just no other way to describe it. I have truly never had anything like this before, but one thing I can say for sure, this was no beer. This was one of the most decadent desserts I have ever had the pleasure of trying. From the first wave of oak filled caramel that rolled over my tongue, I knew I was in for a treat. Loads of chocolate following this, but weird chocolate, not your normal thick chocolate stout like flavor, rather it was a baking chocolate that was laced, well not really, more like infused with raspberries. The flavor was just wonderful hints of everything but the kitchen sink in this one. Some nice touches of caramel and toffee riddled throughout this thing. I am not even really sure what to call it; it was just a wonderful mixture of so many different flavors. If there was ever a beer that embodied a candied desert it was this. Ok, enough of that, to sum it up in a single sentence, have you ever seen one of those liquor-filled chocolates? If you have, this is what you would WANT it to taste like!

M - The feel was a little odd at first, but then you got used to it. There was literally no carbonation to it at all, which would normally be an automatic downer, but for some reason actually worked quite well on this one. The flavors were enough to stand on their own, and did not need anything in the way of bubbles to bring them to the surface. A really nice finish on this one as well, forgot to mention that. The taste just dragged on and I could literally still taste this one a good five minutes after I had my last sip. Long drawn out sweet caramel and toffee just dominating the finish, with a slightly dry bitter quality.

D - The smoothness of this was insane. I mean this is a classic dessert, and the alcohol is huge in this but I never got a taste of it. Very strange that it would never show up in the flavor, I would have thought it would have been harsher, especially for a recent release, but smooth as silk. I could have kept sipping on this all night long without an issue, but alas, the little six-ounce bottle only stayed around for thirty minutes and was gone.

Overall, this was outstanding. A bit weird at first I will admit that, but once you realize what it is there is truly nothing else like it. I would have to say this was worth all the hype it gets and is really quite good. I would recommend this to anyone.

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Finally got to crack this open on Valentine's Day. The wifey had wine while I sipped on this absolute jewel.

Dark ruby-amber color, a bit murky, with small bubbles slowly floating their way to the top.

Smells like a raspberry that has been covered in rich, dark chocolate. Incredible aroma... very sweet and fruity. The smell wafts out of my flute glass and makes me want to sit here and smell this thing over and over...

Huge raspberry sweetness/tartness that is followed up by the slow rolling finish of chocolate. Nice slow alcohol burn on the way down makes this one unbelievable.

This is one remarkably well-brewed beer. I love everything about this beer. Unless I move to Michigan or can find another trade, I probably won't ever have this one again but I can only hope I'm wrong. I would love to always have a bottle of this in the fridge.

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

A special thanks to trumick for this one. Hard to get.

A- Small 6 oz bottle, 2007, pours dark brown/red, small head, thin bubble lacing.

S -I have never had anything like it. The raspberries dominate the nose, with chocolate not far behind.

T- Taste amplifies the smell. It is like eating a chocolate torte smothered in raspberry sauce.

M - Very coating, creamy, sufficient carbonation.

D - I like dessert. I wish I had a case of these guys to finish off my next 24 meals.

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

2004 bottle.

Appearance - Comes in a tiny 6.3 oz wax-dipped bottle - nice presentation. Thick and nearly opaque ruddy brown. No head whatsoever, though a touch of carbonation is visible.

Smell - The scent of chocolate-covered raspberries wafts out of the bottle as soon as the cap comes off. Closer inspection reveals notes of caramel and vanilla. I'm not sure if this is oak-aged, but it has a very woody aroma that I find common in oaked beers.

Taste - Sweet-sour raspberries, chocolate and caramel. Pretty decadent stuff. Not as sweet as I was expecting, which may or may not be the result of extended aging; I haven't tried this fresh, so I have nothing to compare it to. Alcohol is felt more than tasted - the beer has a pleasant warming quality in the throat, much like a nice port. The aftertaste is surprisingly dry and gentle, making it easy to reach for another sip.

Mouthfeel - Velvety-smooth and very full on the tongue. Carbonation is gentle but still felt.

Drinkability - Ridiculously drinkable considering the alcohol and sheer weight of the brew. The slightly sour, drying finish really amplifies the drinkability.

Notes - A huge thanks to london1o1 for the chance to try this elusive beer.

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

I got this bottle in a trade with hoppymeal. Thanks Derek!

It pours from 187ml bottle(2007) a cloudy brown/amber with a very small head of foam that shrinks to just a ring around the glass almost immediately.

The smell is *very* nice. I get notes of raspberry, vanilla, and some caramel malt...maybe? Hard to tell.

The taste has oodles of raspberry up front followed by a *very* malty base that I'm finding hard to describe as I've never encountered that taste before. I can taste some caramel malt, maybe some butterscotch(?), some kind of tartness probably from the raspberry and wow...this son of a gun is *so* tasty and yeah, the abv is right up there and I can feel the warming but I'm enjoying it. Wow. This one gets better and better with each sip. I'm now grabbing the bottle and pouring in my glass every drop that I can get! I'm serious!

The mouthfeel is silky smooth and it finishes with a raspberry/honey flavour that you just wish would never end. Man, this is a world class brew and I'm so happy to have had a chance to try it. Mucho thanks again to hoppymeal for one fine drinking experience!!

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Pours a deep scarlet, very similar to fourth dimensia only without a head.

S- Second brew i've tried from kuhnhenn, second absolutely intoxicating aroma. Deep raspberries much like New Glarus raspberry tart but there's something behind it, namely a well hidden alcohol aroma that lingers in the nostrils.

T- Much more interesting of a brew than the aroma let on. Nice, however truncated, raspberry flavor followed by quite a bit of alcohol warming. This beer is very hot right now and I think it would round out a little more with some age under its belt.

M- Thick with ample carbonation.

D- It's hard to comment on the drinkability of this beer. On one hand, I love it's complexity but on the other the booziness needs to cool off a bit. An amazing brew that i'm sure i'll try again.

4.53/5  rDev +3%

2007 vintage. 6.3oz. Pours a dark brown color with some garnet/ruby edges. No head at all, but to be expected from this big beer in a small bottle.

Big toffee, caramel aroma backed by some raspberries and a hint of chocolate. Maybe a bit of ripe fruit softly in the background. Pretty nice to sit and smell this one for a while.

Huge blast of sugary caramel, which stops short of being cloying. Some alcohol, then a bit of slightly sweet and sour raspberries. Slightly sweet and sour flavor lingers forever. I could still taste this several minutes after taking a sip. Very impressive.

Thick, alomst syrupy, with very low carbonation level. Some warming from alcohol. Stops short of being too sweet, but a very rich, dessert brew. Great for after dinner. I really liked this one. Very well made.

Drank on-tap at the Hop Devil Grill & the Belgian Room, New York, NY

I was lucky enough to try a sample of this at the Hop Devil Grill's 2nd Annual Strong Ale Festival.

Poured a dark, translucent mahogany with a tight, one-finger, saddle brown head. The head quickly faded to a lasting ring of lace.

The aroma was amazingly complex and aromatic. Fruity, raspberry jam-like notes stood out against a perplexing backdrop of toffee, brown sugar, bourbon and maple syrup. Sweet to the nose but definitely not overly-so.

The taste was similar to the aroma but deeper, darker and drier. Spicy, woody, toasted malts melded with sweet-ish notes of brown sugar, bourbon and vanilla. The bright, fruity, raspberry flavor was both sweet and tart, and noticeable yet not overwhelming. As the beer warmed, the alcohol finally made its presence known, lending a pleasant warming in the back of the mouth. The finish was slightly hoppy and quite dry, providing the perfect balance to this modestly sweet dessert beer.

Mouthfeel was smooth, creamy and medium bodied with a fine, mild carbonation.

Drinkability was rather impressive. Even as a high alcohol dessert beer, I could definitely sip this stuff all night long.

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Hmmm...I hope I am in the right place...my bottle doesn't look anything like the one in the photo and my ABV is listed as 11.9% but it says it is Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock and I don't see another listing anywhere.

This one pours an opaque reddish amber with a faint head that disappears immediately leaving nothing in it's wake.

Aroma is incredibly all raspberries, chocolate, and creamy butter.

Taste is raspberry, toffee, pure candy and desert like....hard to describe other than 'I like it'.

Not much like a beer, but much like a desert..and much liked.
Yummm...

4.53/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to mcallister and kryptic (got some from both) for the trades.

This one pours dark brown with some red cloudy tint and a small head. The nose is slightly raspberry and some chocolate and alcohol. The taste is quite divine with mostly chocolate taste, raspberries are there but not as much as I expected. Very smooth finish with good chocolate and raspberry flavors on the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is golden on this one with an awesome thickness and sweet sugary residue. Drinkability is second to none as 13% beers go. An awesome desert treat beer from kuhnhenn. Great beer, excited to see how these cellar.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company