Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,234
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros

2004 vintage. Thanks to northerntimber for this one which I received in my first trade about a year and a half ago.

Beautiful wax-covered miniature bottle poured into my Corsendonk tuilip with a dark brown color, almost pitch-black, with absolutely no head and only a small crown of thin foam along the top. This thing pours more like motor oil than a beer, very thick. Surprised to see the bottle is actually green upon emptying.

Aroma is...wow. Dark chocolate, and incredibly sweet. The raspberry flavor is subtle at first but grows as it warms up. Huge cognac flavor and even similar to Chambord. Lighter bready and brown sugar malts and even a hint of raisin -- actually along with the chocolate it kind of reminds me of Raisinettes.

I don't remember the last time I took one sip of a beer and said the words "oh my God" out loud, but I just did it tonight. Warm alcohol flavor and perfect combination of bitterness and sweetness with the chocolate and fruitiness. I could probably go on but frankly, my palette is overwhelmed and there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said in previous reviews.

This is very thick, almost syrupy. Actually, it almost feels more like a liqueur than a beer. But the flavor alone is so awesome I could see myself getting into a lot of trouble with these.

I was actually expecting to be disappointed in this, anything that receives so much hype I thought could never live up to it. I couldn't have been more wrong. I have never given a beer a 5.0 rating before and I honestly never thought I would, but this little baby transcends the realm of beer. The only word to describe this thing is... "wow."

Phocion, Jan 05, 2008
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

First off, I can understand why this comes in 6.5 ounce bottles. Second off, wow.

Pours a ruby tint with absolutely no head. Nose is total raspberry funk with what seems like almost a plastic type of character to it. Flavor is strong raspberry with thick malts. I never really felt that alcohol was present flavor wise. Feel is a bit thicker on liquid and low on carbonation. I also get a slight gritty kind of edge. Not so much that it ruins the experience, but enough to notice. I kind of take it like it is one step below being too much. If it was pushed any further, it wouldn't work. But overall, it does work since it is so damn unique. I have to say that two ounces of this would probably be good enough for me unless I had a long while to really dwell on the bottle or in this case what was served to me off the tap.

RblWthACoz, Dec 31, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -11.2%

2004 Vintage - 6.3 oz

A - Hazy, mahogony, crimson with no head, no bubbles and no lacing.

S - Initial aroma is of a stale boozy old ale. After a few sips I pick of chocolate covered berries, dark fruits, figs and raisins. An oxidized, boozy strong ale aroma makes itself present every now and then.

T - Sweet with an alcohol bite. Sweet chocolate covered raspberries and blackberries. It has a raspberry licquer or cheap wine flavor along with a malty chocolate cake.

M - Thick and syrupy with little to no carbonation. It fits the after dinner sipper mentioned on the label.

D - I think age has gotten to this one a little bit. I have had samples at the Great Taste before and remember it being better than this. It still makes a nice sipper by a warm fire.

brewcrew76, Dec 20, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Had on tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor (always good to know your bartender).

A- My 5oz comes in a snifter, a brown color with ruby-red highlights. No head, barely even any bubbles, and no lacing on this one.

S- A great buzz of raspberries, with some sweeter malt. Strong, but maybe that's just the snifter.

T- A great incorporation of raspberry flavor. There isn't the raspberry sweetness, but some tang, and the flavor seems like it come straight from the oil seed. There is also some slight earthy bitterness in the back of the mouth that gives this beer a great balance.

M- I didn't know how potent this beer was until I checked it out here, but I could barely taste any alcohol. I would've rated it as a well hidden 8%, but 13.5%, holy shit! How is there no alcohol in the nose? How is there no burn in my mouth or throat? I suppose I'm taking quite small sips (conserve the 5oz!) but even so, smooth as a baby's bottom.

D- Delicious, and dangerously drinkable.

zdk9, Dec 05, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

187 ml (6.3 ounces) bottle received in a generous trade from drseamus, thanks for giving me a chance to drink this beer, and sorry FedEx was so lame, but you should be a happy camper as well in a week or so

2004 Vintage, I have never drank a beer that is three years old, quite a big step for me

Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter with a deep dark brown color that was much lighter when held up to the light, also had a tint of dark red, 1/8 inch vanilla colored that settled immediately, but left small lacing on the bottom of my glass

Smell was mostly deep chocolate aromas, also some caramel and other sweet malt, a hint of citrus, of course a lot of berry in the smell as well

Taste was great, even better than the Raspberry Tart from New Glarus, start off with sour raspberries, then fades into a sweetness with them, it is followed by a thick cocoa flavor, there also some small tastes of tangerine as it gets warmer, gets a lot sweeter as it warms as well, only sour for the first few sips, but was better in my opinion, I recommend serving this one chilled rather than room temperature, the caramel finish and long lasting aftertaste rounded this brew out, really enjoyed the molasses texture and the syrupy warmness caused by the beer, the tastes were all separated nicely and as one mellowed it turned into the next, the raspberry flavor in this was very tasty with sourness and a thick sweet taste at the end

Not much carbonation at all, but what can you really expect from a beer that is three years old, good mouthfeel with a taste that kept on kicking for minutes after each sip

Could drink lots of this, but at 13.5%, it is a serious eisbock, not too heavy on the stomach though, wish the bottle would have been bigger, but it was a cool design and a good amount of this beer to sip on after a big dinner tonight

First Kuhnhenn beer, but plan to pop the Fourth Dementia I got in my closet real soon, this beer was great and I am surprised how good it helped up since it was bottled, only wish I could have tried it fresh to compare but I cannot complain, highly recommend if you can find somebody willing to trade for it

Floydster, Nov 29, 2007

Bottled in 2004, this tiny jewel of beer goodness pours a woody, copperish, orange/amber with a very thin pearl head that recedes but leaves some nice walls when rolled in a short taster. Pour this bit of perfection in to a glass suited for sipping.

I have no idea how many beers I've tried, maybe 1,500 to 2,000 or so, and I have never had anything that comes close to this beer as far as aroma is concerned. Sublime, pure and simple. Sweet malty caramel covering warm ripe raspberries. Malty bread-like toffee and molasses; raspberry streusel. Heavily fermented fruit and milk chocolate. The berries never dull and I notice something new with every smell and/or sip. Absurdly complex and decadent. I could barely bring myself to finish the beer for fear I would miss the aroma too much.

The flavor does manage to do the aroma justice some how. Syrupy and sweet with an insanely complex mix of slightly roasted malt, caramel, molasses, crushed raspberries, citrus, a tannin like quality, alcohol, and a bready gluttonous thickness. Decadent and impressively complex. Almost unbelievable. Absolutely ideal; there may be some odd, small characteristic that could be tweaked to make this beer even better; but for now I have no idea what that is. Maybe a larger bottle?

Syrupy, thick, warm decadence. The flavor and body of the beer linger on the tongue, teasing me long after I've finished. I'm fairly sure that they've found a way to bottle Christmas. I'm already jonesing here. It’s difficult to say but I'm fairly sure this is the best beer I've ever had.

letsgopens, Nov 28, 2007
4.95/5  rDev +12.8%

Was bestowed an advanced taste of this magnificent beer at the November meeting of the Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers (KGB) Homebrew Club.

Smooth, creamy and delicious are just some of the adjectives that describe this beer. the only knock is it is still a tiny bit cloudy but I can overlook that as this was an advanced taste of the December 21st scheduled release.

The Kuhnhenn Brothers have outdone themselves yet again. It is great to see this award winning brew back in the available column.

amkpublishing, Nov 14, 2007

This is the 04 but from th 2nd bottling in december 06. Pours still, cola brown to black with reddish hues. Some good chunks end up in the glass with a bunch retained in the bottle as well. Aroma shows some nice raspberry and heavy oxidation. Buttery caramel, fresh baked cake like aroma, and chocolate as well as a good amt of soy sauce and hints of leather. Taste follows with a nice chocolate covered raspberry flavor before the soy sauced oxidized flavors interrupt. Hints of leather and wood in the flavor as well. Finish is nice and slightly drying with a raspberry flavor that verges on being tart. Fairly light medium body for what one might expect, some tingle on the tongue up front with a nice woody dryness in the finish and hints of alcohol. The oxidation is starting to overpower other flavors in this nice sipper of a beer, but it is still drinking fairly well, although I wouldn't recommend ageing any further. A good beer that should probably have been drank sooner but I look forward to a new fresher version this winter for a resample / rerate.

hoppymeal, Nov 10, 2007
Photo of
3.7/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

2004 Vintage. This is my second try, as the first bottle was bad. This one may be getting close to turning, but I chose to review it as a warning for others holding the 2004 vintage -- it may not be aging that well.

Hazy, deep burgundy color. Some light penetration, mostly at the edges. No head, no lacing, and, surprisingly, no legs.

Smell is very promising -- chocolate, honey/caramel, and raspberries as well as other dark fruits, such as figs and raisins. Faint hint of vinegar.

Taste departs a bit from smell. Quite tart, mainly the raspberry flavor, but that hint of vinegar comes back as well. Much more tart than sweet, overall. Touch of chocolate, bittersweet. Hint of caramel/toffee/butter.

Medium + body. No carbonation. A bit dry. Very silky/smooth texture.

This bottle was a big improvement over the first one I tried, but still not really my thing. For a fruity beer, this is very well done. For me at least, the smell led me to expect much more from the taste.

, Sep 06, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -6.6%

2004 Vintage in a cute 187 ml bottle with red waxing over cap.

Pours a thick reddish brown, with no carbonation and no head at all. Dark ruby/black berry highlights when held up to the light.

Aromas of Raspberries, alcohol, dark fruit, other berries, wood, chocolate, caramel. Overwhelming aroma is alcohol.

Tastes are similar to aromas with some subtle raspberry tartness. Dark malt sweetness. Very strong alcohol warmth in the throat. This is a boozebomb!

Drinkability (taken into context as an after dinner dessert beer) is good. I could have one with a nice chocolate/raspberry cake after a big meal and then I'd be done.

BillyB, Aug 19, 2007

2004 vintage. Cute bottle, nicely waxed seal. Thanks to BadBeer for the trade.

Pours an oily and thick red-brown with blackberry highlights. Absolutely zero head or carbonation.

Aroma is pungent and complicated. A full range of berries and dark fruit is present. Figs, plums, raspberries, blackberries, mulberries, boysenberries, huckleberries, etc… Quite woody as well with some chocolate and caramel. Unfortunately each of these aromas is quite rotten and completely booze soaked. The alcohol is so strong as to distract and detract form the aromatic experience.

Flavor is bold, full and ridiculously boozey. This is one of the most boozy beers I’ve had for sure. There are plenty of rich dark flavors but it is difficult to focus on them individually as an overriding, connective alcohol presence prohibits careful examination. Raspberry flavor is not as strong as I expected. In fact, it’s pretty weak. Most of the flavor derived from a malty caramel/mocha – rotten plum/molasses booziness. I don’t find it particularly pleasant.

Mouthfeel is much more akin to a syrupy after dinner liquor then a beer. There is no carbonation, but that is to be expected in this aged ABV bomb but further then that, there is very little here to set it apart from the sweet, strong, and syrupy qualities associated with a fruit liquor. It is certainly full bodied, hot, and exceedingly loaded with many flavors but it just doesn’t work for me.

Not very drinkable unless you are in to sweet, syrupy after dinner liquors. I am not.

DaPeculierDane, Aug 10, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks goes out to ThomasHardy for this brew.

Small 6.3 oz. green bottle/Cranberry Waxed 2004 Vintage

Poured into a Unibroue chalice a nice dark brown color, nice carbonation, fizzy little head, not much sticky lacing at all. The nose is raspberry, malty, and chocolate. The taste is malty, plenty of raspberry and chocolate, slightly bitter/tangy. Medium body. Very drinkable, this sucker is awesome, too bad you don't get much, highly recommended, thanks Brady.

Wasatch, Aug 09, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

Raspberry Eisbock seems like a fine beer to celebrate 5 years on BA!

2004 Vintage

187ml bottle

Dark ruby in hue, fairly opaque, but when backlit a bright garnet color emerges; the color is quite lovely. Short-lived off-white head, in seconds all the bubbles faded to a soapy collar, naked in the middle. Not surprisingly there was no lacing. The appearance is unremarkable (but nice to look at nevertheless). I can’t ask for too much out of a high alcohol beer.

Massive nose! Huge, rich malty aromas… caramel, chocolate, malted balls, plus chocolate covered raspberries, dried raspberries. Not to mention a wonderful boozy cognac aroma, raisin bread, and so much more it seems. This is a very complex nose! Wow. I’ve never smelled a beer like this… I love it! Huge potency, chatty, complex, my mouth waters with every sip. This is a hell of a dessert Eisbock. It is rich and powerful but with grace.

Hot palate… rum, brandy, fruity cognac, raspberry wine; whoa, my throat feels the burn. Milk chocolate covered raspberries, hints of espresso, cream, raisin bread, licorice, black currents with a splash of burnt sugar at the finish. I was expecting a fuller malt profile. By no means is the malt lacking, it is quite healthy but I was hoping for something more firm. Sweet throughout, almost cloying but with less than 7 ounces to drink how can I complain? I am forced to sip and savor. It is totally worth it.

Low carbonation, smooth mouthfeel; about full in body which fits this beer perfectly. Relaxing…

Funny, I could drink two or three of these little bottles in one setting. There has to be dozens of desserts to pair this with. Fantastic. Hell, it flies solo very well. I bet a creamy, rich cheese would rock too. Easily the best fruit beer I have ever tasted. My first beer from Kuhnhenn was a stud (as expected really). Bravo! Thank you RedHaze, I am glad I waited to drink this. I don’t know why I did but it was paid off in spades.

bditty187, Jul 09, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked up 4 bottles last Christmas (2005 release) and had one while at the brewery

Appearance: Pours a deep reddish brown. Syrupy and with as it is swilled in the glass it has minimal carbonation. Legs of alcohol form on the glass as it settles (indicating the high alcohol).

Aroma: Smells of chocolate cake with a warm raspberry sauce. Complex malt and dark fruit aromas.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Heavy dark malt sweetness with a slight tart raspberry character. Somewhat syrupy and cloying with caramel and cake. Alcohol is hidden well but is definitely there in the finish with a slight throat burning. Carbonation is very light and only slight helps refresh the tongue from the syrupy sweetness.

Drinkability: This is definitely not an everyday beer. Even if you could get it. Its very complex and I still can't get past the chocolate and raspberry aroma. This would be an occasional sipper possibly for desert or with a dark chocolate sampler. $10 per bottle is a little steep but it is worth the occasional expense. If it was less or I could afford it, this would definitely be used in a raspberry reduction.

bigman147, Jul 08, 2007
4.13/5  rDev -5.9%

Had at the Montreal beer fest. It was poured from a 2004 bottle. Pours dark brown with red hues. Smallish head, not much retention. Aroma was very tart, with loads of raspberry, caramel and brandy. Very smooth and full bodied. Very low carbonation. So complex - toasty, malty yet tart with a nice raspberry flavour and fruity sweetness. Very strong at almost 14%, this one's definitely a sipper.

baiser, Jun 06, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Tiny little, 6.3 oz. green bottle with a low-budget label that says it is from 2004. Served at 55 degrees F.

Pours a dark russet brown with coppery-rose edges. Small, short-lived, dirty sand brown head with patches of darker brown. Some gunk in the bottom of the bottle (is this bottle-conditioned). Nose is ripe with cherry and raspberry sweetness. The sweetness is intense and syrupy. Dark chocolate, caramel, and light raspberry tartness come through. Wow!

Taste starts with sweetish raspberry and cherry. Dark--intensely dark--chocolate comes in as the fruits become tarter. Caramel and rum in there as well. Light wood and sourish raspberry notes in a warming, alcoholic finish. Syrupy sweetness is always there, lurking. Nice. Medium-full body with a slightly syrupy feel. Light carbonation works well. A little sweet and rich for quaffing, but this beer is great for sipping out of a snifter late at night!

alexgash, May 31, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -7.1%

6.3oz bottle gotten in a trade with grub. 2004 edition. I'm very thankful for this one, and I'm celebrating Liverpool making it to the Champions League Final...AGAIN!!! Poured into a snifter.

Pours with no head at all, none, just a few straggling bubbles that cling to the side of the glass. Very opaque with some cola-like colouring around the edges of the glass. Carbonation is dead. Smell is delicious, bursts of caramel, chocolate, raspberry, and a bit of a sharp cheesy note in the back. Other dark fruity notes appear, some plums and raisins. This is what dessert in a glass is, smell is extremely rich.

Taste is complex and wonderful. The tangy, sour raspberry notes dominate at first, then give way to the more rich chocolate flavour. A bit of caramel, and a roasted bitterness akin to unsweetened chocolate. The cream cheese notes come through more as the beer warms. There's also an enjoyable woodiness to the flavour that I liked. I usually have a hard time with beers brewed with fruit, but this is well done and dosen't give me heartburn, which helps. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, sticky as hell. Carbonation is very low, but I wouldn't expect anything else. This is a really unique Eisbock, tart as all get out, but complex and an experience unto itself. More than one? Probably not... but it is drinkable.

trevorwideman, May 03, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a thick, syrup looking deep ruby/brown. Head tried to stand up, but failed to make it past a 1/2 finger. Off red color, no retention.
Chocolate and raspberries permiate the nose and leave nothing else to come through. Very rich, smells like a chocolate cheesecake with raspberries on top.
Tastes like it too. Baked dark chocolate and smushed raspberries. Hints of burnt caramel and wet grass.
Feels like syrup. Thick and gooey. Best for after dinner. Shared a small bottle. And that was enough. Very rich

Mebuzzard, Apr 20, 2007
4.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Sweet Jesus, what a huge nose on this bear. Pounds and pounds of chocolate and raspberries. Tawny, chocolaty brown with a short lived lighter brown head. The flavor is a nice blend of Carmel, chocolate, raspberry, and alcohol. I’m a bit surprised how restrained the flavor is. I was expecting something even more than this. Rich and chewy palate makes for a sipping beer. This beer is certainly one to be sought out, but be sure to be coming into this experience with a level head. You may be let down.

tjthresh, Apr 18, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -12.3%

Sampled thanks toRoyMunson. Pours a cloudy/murky brown with a maroon tint to it. Plenty of sediment floating in the beer. Smell is raspberry(of course) with some chocolate(tootsie roll) as well. Taste is pure raspberry puree with a hit of tootsie roll in the finish. Not being a big fan of tootsie rolls, I love good chocolate, but don’t classify tootsie roll as such. This beer would be "all world" with either a different chocolate used or with simply no chocolate at all. The mouthfeel and beginning taste is absolutely delightful. Maybe with aging the chocolate will subside some.

FtownThrowDown, Apr 04, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

Recent December bottling of 2004 batch. Received in a trade with Walleye - thanks, Jim! Pours a viscous and syrupy dark brown with tinges of red when the light hits the glass right. No head or carbonation to speak of and it really reminds me more of an aged brandy than a beer. Impressive, though. Smells of brandy-soaked raspberries and chocolate with a hint of carmelized sugar. Thick and syrupy on the tongue - this is a beer that slides rather than washes down. Tastes like it smells, but not over the top on the raspberries. Very balanced and not hot with alcohol. My first thought is how amazing this eisbock would taste drizzled over pancakes. Its sweet molasses, chocolate and fruit flavors would be a show-stopper. Overall, a very unique, well-crafted and tasty dessert beer/apertif. Glad I have an additional bottle to stash and see how the flavors change in time. My first Kuhnhenn Bros. beer, but far from my last.

alohaC, Apr 03, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this one.

6.3 oz bottle, 2004 release

A: Pours into a flute with a reddish brown color with little head or lacing.

S: Light fruity smell with sugary aromas the remind me of candy. Also some herbal and floral notes. Not a strong smell, but very complex and pleasant.

T: Soft raspberry taste with flavors of caramel, candy, and a characteristic bock maltiness. Sweet, but not overly fruity as I expected. The alcohol is amazingly well-hidden until the beer gets to room temp, and then it takes on a mild cough syrup sort of taste, so drink this slightly chilled.

M: Full-bodied, thick, sticky, and syrupy. Light carbonation.

D: An amazing sipper, 6.3 ounces was just enough. Quite complex and a must-try beer.

klewis, Mar 23, 2007
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

2004 6.3 oz wax sealed bottle.

Pours a somewhat cloudy reddish brown with an off-white head that does at least retain around the edges. Smell is powerful and complex, but I'll try my best. Sweet with caramel, brown sugar, some chocolate and some raspberry. It also seems quite vinous, I get hints of port and sherry. Raspberry is first to greet my tongue, it's quickly followed by flavors of port, chocolate dipped dark fruit, and very sweet caramel. I also get a bit of alcohol in the finish, it's not hot, but it is there. Medium carbonation, medium bodied with a dry-ish finish. An exceptional beer and definitely a sipper, this is certainly worth seeking out.

badbeer, Mar 12, 2007
4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Tinnie tiny 6.3oz 2004 vintage bottle from goodbyeohio's cellar. you rule Jim.

Out of a green bottle with a funky old school homebrew like looking label. It pours a murky deep reddish brown. Almost looks like a port. Thin extremely fizzy head of retention on the edges of the flute glass. Calm like a lake in the early morning. Very interesting aromas emanate from the glass. Thick sweet caramel malt notes with subtle fruit. Piles of burnt brown sugar with subtle nestle chocolate powder notes.

Thick and syrupy body with a hefty malt base on the palate. Very complex flavors. Dark fruits, figs, and prunes with continuous raspberry flavors lingering on the palate. Sweet brown sugar and caramel malt notes. Huge malt profile comes. Chocolate flavors are present, but definitely play a supporting role in the malt profile. Subtle spiciness is detected at the back of the tongue. Surprisingly dry in the finish--especially with the thick syrup mouthfeel in the beginning. Low carbonation to almost flat allows the complex flavors to show their true colors. Fruity sweetness hangs on the palate well into the aftertaste.

Drinkable to a degree. It's definitely a sipping beer. The sweetness is thick and hefty like a wet blanket. More darker sweets. High abv isn't noticeable while sipping, although it is noticeable after about three quarters of the brew. A very tasty offering and one that's a bit off the path for me--I really enjoyed it though. Thanks for the chance Jimmyb--you know I appreciate it.

bjohnson, Mar 12, 2007
4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

My most gratious thanks to Frozensoul 327! Erik, I am in your debt!

6.3oz bottle, 2004 vintage. A thick coating of deep red wax seals the cap. The wax itself smells like raspberries! I saved this, my first time trying the KRE, for a beautiful, warm, sunny Sunday afternoon - March 11, 2007. Earlier this morning the clocks went ahead and we gained an hour of sunlight. The spring is almost here and I've waited very patiently for it. What better way to both usher it in (with raspberries) and usher out the winter (with eisbock)...

Pours rather flat but with miniscule bubbles that line the top parts of the outside of the glass. A deep shaded colour, offers no real highlights even directly to the light. A swirl can generate some mocha coloured trim. No lacing of course but does leave legs (understandable for the high graivty). At some angles you might catch a glimpse of tawny chestnut, but nothing overly pretty.
The aroma is more so that of an eisbock with the fruit very diminished behind a huge malt base. Sticky notes with large presence (but no alcohol) in the smell. Notes of dried fruits like raisons or plums, distant hops, a rich caramel and dark chocolate, a slight (wood) spruce like note, and an incredible amount of malts!
The flavours hit with the malt at first and the raspberry subtely coating the mouth in a long, lasting finish. Very unaggresive (obscenely so considering the alcohol percentage) which goes all but undetectable. Very silky smooth. Flavours are highly subjective, I could see picking out about anything from such a deep, complex profile. What I find most predominant is a strong chocolate caramel flavour. The raspberry compliments the caramel malts so well but always stays secondary. A little more medicinal as it warmed, but this lovely taste just floats around the mouth for a very long time after...
A perfect after dinner, along side desert sipper. This bottle, at 2+ years is holding up fantastic but I would love to try this fresh. Certainly worth the high price for this experience. I may have to lower my marks of other eisbocks.
Why does this bottle have to be so small? This truly is something unique and world class.

biegaman, Mar 11, 2007