Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,286
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 439 | Hads: 1,132
4.82/5  rDev +10%

A million thanks to marburg for hooking me up with this. Plain brown 12oz bottle. Pours a deep dark brown with dark red hints....no head to speak of on the pour but I imagine a 13.5% eisbock will do that. Big, lovely raspberry aromas coming off this one. Fumes of alcohol come off as well. Deep, dark and fruity...lovely nose on this one! Wow! The fruit still smells fresh and vibrant. Hints of cocoa as well.

First sip is lush with ripe raspberry flavor...hints of random dark fruits meld into the flavor with a nice malty body. Alcohol is there but well hidden for the big abv. Overripe fruit all over the place. Sweetness mixes with bitterness...simply an awesome fruit beer..easily the best I have ever sampled. Caramel tones peek in and out...there's so much going on here it is nearly overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is big and has a syrupy consistency to it. Goes down damn smooth for such a big brew with nice small bubbly carbonation. Very nice! This is an extremely drinkable brew for the alcohol content. Simply an awesome expertly crafted eisbock / fruit beer. I hope I will get a chance to try this one again some day.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

6.3 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

2004 vintage.

Pours a hazy thick reddish brown beer.

Smell is very sweet chocolate and caramel and raspberries. Spicy scents of vanilla, black pepper, truffles and cherry on the alcohol fumes. Smells like expensive chocolates.

Taste is lots of raspberries and chocolate with a little tartness from the berries. Super richness here I almost feel like I could eat this as a pudding. I am forced into small sips to savor the flavor of this. Long lasting raspberry flavor that takes a good 5 minutes to die off. The flavor is all chocolate and raspberries here.

Mouthfeel is pudding thick.

Crazy drinkable beer that was the PERFECT beer for Christmas!

2004 vintage.

pours a deep red brown with ruby highlights and a thin very fine head. the head drops to a ring, but rises up again with a gentle swirl.

aroma is fantastic. caramel and dried fruit. raspberry. bittersweet chocolate. toffee. light sweetness.

taste is excellent. moderate bitterness. the great caramel and toffee sweetness from the aroma is there. raspberry. bittersweet chocolate. raisin and date. slightly vinous. just a little alcohol warmth.

mouthfeel is excellent. very fine carbonation. nice body, but without being sticky sweet.

drinkability is great. the alcohol is hidden well. really nice as an after dinner drink. i need to find more of this one.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Dark brown with a tinge of red. Small ring and small islands of foam dwindles to tiny bubbles here and there. A couple sesame seed sized sinkers.

A heady smell of dark chocolate and cooked raspberries are tempting in the extreme.

The aroma is almost an invitation to disappointment but I must say that this was everything I thought it could be. Chocolate malted milk with raspberry. Not as intense as the aroma but quite a bit more complex. There is a berry seed bitterness and a tartness that lasts, literally, for hours. Like a mouthwatering SweetTart under your tongue tartness.

Surprisingly medium in body. With so much aroma and flavor, I expected it to feel thicker. Very creamy. Plenty of carbonation tickle to make it even more interesting.

There is a reason that it comes in a 6.3oz bottle. I could not imagine drinking more in one sitting. Even so, it took me over an hour to fully savor it and I still felt like I was drinking too fast. Very enjoyable. Very interesting.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

03/14/09- Received via a trade with former BA member Jetsbeer.

Presentation- Vintage 2004, smaller 6oz nip sized bottle with a wax coating over the cap and part of the neck. Poured into my JW Lees glass.

Appearance- Cherry-brown colored pour. A wee bit of sediment settles at the bottom of the glass. Seems pretty flat until a late surge of carbonation fizzes into a very small and slight head. Doesn't leave any lace to speak of behind. Not expecting visual miracles of a 5 year old beer of this style and abv.

Smell- At first the scent is a sweet nose of fresh suagred raspberries and cherries. After that, the dark chocolate and roasted malt comes into play. Combined with a slight barrel flavored woodsy taste and a bit of alcohol.

Taste- What a dessert beer this would be. Just like the nose, the raspberries and cherries come in first...very sugary, very smooth and very fresh tasting...no artificial flavors here. Then the large and I mean large dark chocolte flavor comes in and melds perfectly with the berries. Alcohol is present and swirls around with all the flavors. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is here and is a slight prickly in the first part of the sip and then turns to a lovely silky and smooth mouthfeel with a lasting dark chocolate covered rasperry flavor.

Drinkability- This is a classic beer. One of the most flavorful beers of any kind that I have had. Wish I had some kind of chocolate dessert to go along with this. Wish they would make this in a 12oz bottle.

4.82/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros. 2012 vintage

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a nice crystal clear, if it wasn't so dark, brown hue with no head, though wisps are kicked up when swirled. Awesome legs too.

S - Aromas of raspberry dark chocolate truffle. Toffee caramel, Raspberry puree, glorious chocolate dark and rich, with no heat whatsoever. Uhhh...oh my gosh. Like a raspberry tootsie too...only not awful!

T - Taste is sweet raspberry jam, sticky, chocolate truffle massiveness, caramel, toffee, no alcohol at all really. Holy moly. This is absurd. So much chocolate and raspberry. I can't stress how much raspberry jam and chocolate. A touch on the sweet side.

M - Mouthfeel is silky velvet, no booze. Wow.

O - Overall this beer was even better than my expectations. Mindblowingly incredible with loads of raspberry and chocolate. Never Had anything like this, I'm floored.

Serving type: Bottle

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Pours like a liquified tootsie pop married with chocolate syrup. Very dark, so much so that I cannot decide if its actually red or brown. The smell is like a tootsie roll and chocolate, and the faintest trace of raspberry. It's SO damned complex that you could absolutely spend your day pondering what exactly those familiar smells are! Just when I figure I can't detect anything else, I get boysenberry syrup.
Boom, chocolate in your face, followed by sweet and slightly sour raspberry, which is almost like a jolly rancher for about a second. Maple syrup trails the rest. In all honesty my mind is in overdrive trying to place all of these amazing tastes, that I truly have never even come close to tasting anywhere else. I truly wish I could drink this all the time, each time spending forever figuring out exactly what these fleeting tastes I am experiencing are. This is easily the most complex beer I have ever come into contact with. The rich full mouthfeel doesn't betray a hint of the high acohol content contained in this miniscule bottle. I certainly could spend an eternity drinking this. An absolutely amazing beer that is a legend for a reason. Many thanks to Northertimber for including this in an amazing trade.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

6.3 oz bottle. 2004 Vintage.
Figured it'd be a good one to try for review #200.

Pours darker than I expected...deep garnet color. Leaves a shadowy head skimming over the top of the brew. Aroma and taste are complex..the two main flavors are rich chocolate and berries (raspberry, one would assume), but I definitely think I tasted some mulberry and blackberry as well. Unlike the (in)famous Sam Adams Triple Bock (and similar high alcohol brews) I could have drank this entire bottle in a few seconds...it's that easy to drink, and that damn good.

It was enjoyed tremendously at room temp...I really don't think this beer would taste bad ice cold, or if it sat out in the sun for 2 days. It's just an incredible tasting and well-crafted brew in all aspects. Not too tart, not too sweet, just...yeah. The bottle was gone way, way too soon. I'm positive I could drink a 500ml bottle myself, it's got tremendous drinkability for such a big beer. Maybe someday I'll get my hands on one of those beauties. I was not expecting a beer this experimental to be this good...but it had no problem living up to my expectations.

Thanks to walleye for giving me the chance to try this amazing, unique brew.

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%

I've been hanging on to a few of these bottles for special occasions. Decided to pop one with the recent birth of my new baby daughter.
Appears a dark, turbid brown with a ruby hue when held up to the light. The tiny, off white head quickly fizzles out into a collar that also fades out into this special brew.
Smell is better than anticipated. Rich, malty, chocolaty fudge with brown sugar, caramel notes, vanilla, and a heavy drizzling of a thick, raspberry reduction infused with cocoa powder.
Taste is of the same outstanding aromatics, making this a winner among many winners. Flavors are of a confectioner's heaven that combines the sugary notes of cocoa, brown sugar, caramel, vanilla, and raspberries that have been flambed with an alcohol blend highlighted with Rum. This is like an after dinner brandy, or cognac.
Mouthfeel is rich, smooth, balanced with the sugars, and non-cloyingly delicious.
Jesus God...if this is what heaven is, I'll make a concerted effort to get my ass to church more often. This is heavenly and addictive. Kuhnhenn is set to take over the world 6.3 oz's at a time! F'in great stuff.
Thanks to walleye for supplying this.

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%

A 187ml/6.3 oz red wax topped green bottle with a vintage date of 2007. This batch clocks in at 11.9%

A-Hazy, brownish ruby copper with a thin light tan ring that develops with a swirl. At almost 12% ABV I am not surprised at the lack of head.

S-Big fruity raspberry tartness with a deep and complex chocolate maltiness underneath. Kind of like a raspberry port.

T- Bold, assertive, raspberry tartness with the underlying complexity from the rich chocolate malt. Not too tart nor too sweet. A masterful balance that ends with a flurry of alcohol burn.

M-Medium-light body with a smooth, supple feel that is very nice. A touch of biting tartness and dark chocolate bitterness in the finish.

D-James, where is my smoking jacket and Monte Cristo? This is decadent stuff that makes you feel rich! I understand why they deliver it in such tiny bottles. I think if you drank too much your palate would explode!

2004 bottle

Appearance: After exploding from the bottle, pours a hazy black cherry soda color with a head that quickly disappears to a ringlet

Smell: Intense chocolate covered cherry aroma

Taste: The raspberry liquid filled chocolate candy literally coats the tongue and builds in a subtly sour direction by mid-palate; the sour complexity lingers after the swallow as the rich chocolate flavors build in intensity to the finish, which lasts forever

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous, with modest carbonation

Drinkability: A fantastic sipper that I could enjoy for hours in small doses

2004 Vintage:
6.3 oz green bottle sealed with red wax. This poured with a thin cream-coloured head that settled into a long lasting ring. The beer is a clear, ruby-chestnut colour, a nice combination of red and brown hues. It even looks thick in the glass and there's a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It smells and tastes exactly like a fruit-centered chocolate. Chocolate and toffee combine masterfully with the tart raspberry character. Quite thick and completely coats the palate. Fruit and toffee all the way. The acidity level provides enough tartness to balance out the sweetness and there seems to be a complete lack of hop bitterness or flavour. Caramel is more evident towards the end. It also has a lingering finish with the tartness coming forward, but the sweet toffee never disappears. Just a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish. Low carbonation, a bit syrupy but not cloying. Definitely a sipping beer. I could drink this one all night, just slowly.

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lucky enough to be in Detroit for work and they still had this on tap. Poured into a small wine glass.

It pours a clear deep red with brown hues and a thin tan head that quickly fades. The smell is amazing. Cocoa nibs and and fresh raspberries. I couldn't stop smelling it. The taste is even more impressive then the nose. It taste like fresh chocolate covered raspberries. I'm not sure how the keep the raspberries from tasting like a syrup and being overly sweet. The body is medium thick with medium carbonation and a sweet but not cloying finish. This is with out a doubt one of the most incredible beers I have ever tried. I'm really happy I was able to try some and really glad I made the choice to spend the money to try it. Easily one of the most unique beers I have ever tasted.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

500ml bottle that really reminds of the Sam Adams Utopias bottle...only more plain. 2004 batch. Monstrous, epic thanks to AKSmokedPorter, and, more importantly, a certain BA who will be thanked indirectly for getting this to AKSP.

A: A satisfying "pfft" upon opening the aged bottle. Poured a few fingers into my Samichlaus snifter. Stunning chocolate-infused amber in color. Tight, tight layer of coffee-froth-colored head. Tiny beads of lace slowly glide down the sides of the glass after each sip...to be consumed again by the now wispy-thin layer.

S: Tootsie Roll raspberry sucker. That's what I smell. Dead, spot on. An amazing layer of chocolate-toffee mixed with T-O-N-S of freshly ground berries. Woven into the supporting fabric is a boozy/brandy-like aroma, drizzled with loads of caramlized sugar. "Fresh" is an understatement.

T: Quite sweet up front. This is quickly brushed aside by an avalanche of berry flavor. It's amazing to experience the onslaught of such a fresh-tasting raspberry flavor, almost as if the berries were put in the bottle just before opening. Swift notes of Heath bar rise to the challenge of the boatload of raspberry puree` on your palate. Finishes rather dry, with a kinda "raspberry seeds in your mouth" aftertaste, accompanied (briefly) by a slight warming ABV. Simply amazing.

M/D: 13.5% ABV. No way. Cloaked in the flavor is the alcohol with this one. Dangerously drinkable. This is lasting me all through the Sox-Yankees game, hopefully enough to drown out Chris Berman. My palate is completely covered by this thing. I feel as though I could cut it with a knife. One-of-a-kind. And (more than likely) a once-in-a-lifetime experience (one I'll not soon forget).

6.3 oz bottle (unfortunately shared) poured into our snifters:

A: Grade "A" maple syrup with crushed red raspberries, crowned with a light glowing honey. This beer almost has a layered effect to it. Absolute no head or lacing, just delicate bubbles grazing the edge of the surface.

S: Warm raspberries and cherries drizzled with chocolate and caramelized brown sugar. All sitting atop a Belgian waffle drenched in maple syrup. Yummmm....

T: Ripe and unripened raspberries up front with a caramel backbone. The ABV goes undetected all the way through. Leaving you with a consistent flow of sweet chocolate, and maple goodness. The aftertaste is of burnt toffee and more raspberries.

M: Thick, syrupy, smooth with no carbonation.

D: For having such a high ABV of 13.5% it goes unnoticed throughout the entire consumption of this beer. Splitting this 6.3oz bottle was the biggest tease ever, it was gone before we could say goodbye....

Recommended pairing: Homemade fudge

The Kings Of Hop

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Huge thanks to glazeman for hooking me up with this one - one of my big wants that I never thought I would have an opportunity to try. Poured into a snifter from the cutest little 6.3 oz. bottle.

A - This beer looks gross - just what I was expecting for the elusive Raspberry Eisbock! Looks like a cross between melted caramel and dirty sewer water. No lacing, no head, no legs.

S - One of the best smelling beers I have ever experienced. raspberries, marshmallow, caramel, booze.

T - Truly delightful. Raspberries, chocolate, marshmallows, bubble gum, after dinner candies, and alcohol. Sweet up top and very sour at the end. Perfect.

M - Sticky for sure, but not necessarily thick. Just the right amount of carbonation that allows the tart raspberries and caramelized sugars to touch the roof of the mouth.

D - I could drink this one all day. The alcohol is barely noticeable, the taste is crisp and sweet at the same time, and the aroma is just heavenly.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Purchased for $8.33 for 2004 vintage in a 6.3 oz bottle. Pours out caramel in color and consistency almost like a thin syrup. Aroma is of cocoa and raspberry reminding me of a raspberry tootsie pop. Head dissipates rather quickly. Elements of chocolate and a sweet with slight tartiness of raspberry. Reminds me of a candy. Aftertaste remains on tongue for a long time afterwards. A slight bitterness and warming alcohol presence on the tongue. Many interesting flavors going back and forth. Not too thick in mouthfeel, light on the tongue. This has stood up fairly well after sitting on a store shelf for a while. I think a little bit is just right. As I drink more the fruitness and raspberry flavors come out a little more than the chocolate.

2004 vintage

Pours very thick muddy ruddy reddish brown with the slightest, quickly disappearing head. The appearance is otherwise unimpressive except for the light coming through the beer and glass creates the most amazing red light on my table. Smells of raspberries, cherries, hugely concentrated malts and faint chocolate. The taste is where this stuff really shines. Amazing flavors. Initial stabs of chocolate then sweet raspberries to quite tart cherries, maple syrupy flavors, more chocolate, chocolate coated candy raspberries. Hints of chambord. Wisps of spiciness? Huge interplay and great depth of flavor. Lingers on well too. Alcohol is not present. Unique. Mouthfeel is quite full but has vibrant carbonation as well and all fits together perfectly. Drinkability is staggeringly impressive. Alcohol is imperceptible and apparent only in throatwarming. What an incredible beer. The first eisbock i've actually enjoyed.

Thanks to Northerntimber and No BS BIF for this sample

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a hazy reddish-pink, color with a thin, light tan / pinkish head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet caramel and toffee malts, honey, nuts, light chocolate, raspberry, and light tart cherry as well. Taste of dominant chocolate, caramel malt, some earthiness, lots of tart raspberries, and roasted java, with a touch of alcohol in the finish. Thanks Mike!

4.86/5  rDev +11%

On tap baby at the Daze of the Devil fest at the HDG in NYC...I enjoyed 2 four ounce tasters of the sweet, intense, flavorful, viscous nectar, and this review is from my copious notes, this arrives cloudy dark plum, minor head and lacing. The nose is intensely and thrillingly of raspberries and powdered sugar. Sweet, intense, dense, complex, thick, rich and full on raspberries and malty goodness all the way through, Yumm. World class dessert beer. A treat on tap.

4.86/5  rDev +11%

(2007 vintage)
Pours a fairly opaque brownish with tawny edges. Not much head to speak of.
Nose offers up chocolate, caramel, raisin, blackberry, prune, cherry juice, dried strawberry, tamarind and Tootsie Pop! Delicious.

Tastes of sweet berry juice, raspberry and tart cherry leads into slightly bitter chocolate and caramelly mid that hints at Tootsie Pop again. Tingly alcoholic grip right before the fruity fade on finish with more raisin, cherry and strawberry.

Super juicy and rich feel to this one. Full and flavorful yet still ultimately drinkable. No real indication of the 13.5% for me, would have guessed 8 or maybe 9%abv.

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

6.3 oz bottle split and poured into a Duvel Green tulip. 2007 Vintage.

Unlimited thanks to sweemzander for sharing this with me! It's one of my favorite beers of all time and by far, one of the best ways to start a day! Must. Get. More.

A - The slow trickle into the glass is completely quiet creating no foam to speak of. Legs run down the glass from the strong alcohol and tiny bubbles cling to the sides. The beer is a beautifully caramel-tinted ruby brown color.

S- Milk chocolate and dusty cocoa blend exotically with loads of chocolate draped raspberries. Warm alcohol has a lot of fruity esters going on. It smells warm/hot, like it'll be really strong but it's not boozy in the least bit. Caramel notes fill the background. This aroma is simply orgasmic.

T - Chocolate-covered raspberries abound in this phenomenally brewed beer. Caramel malt adds another layer of sweetness and dimension behind the heat. Pretty alcohol-rich but it's very fruit-flavored lending itself well to the profile. No boozy flavor in the least.

M - Underneath the alcohol heat is a very sweet beer that's incredibly smooth and forgiving. Surprisingly, it has a little carbonation tickle to it. I was expecting a flat beer with how it poured. The full-bodied profile is robust and delish.

D - One bottle of 6.3 oz in a snifter, sipped like a fine port (to which it has many similarities) would be a great after dinner desert beer, night cap, or warmer on a winter day! This climbed effortlessly to the top ranks of my favorite beers of all time. Thanks again Sweem!

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Out of two bottles one was very off with no fruit at all.
This review is in reference to the good sample.
Black/brown with purple highlights.
Heady aromas of raspberries and cassis liqueur. Jammy and intense.
On the palate it was thick with delicate fizz and syrupy, chewy, melting bitter chocolate and berry preserves. Well-balanced with just enough sugar to support the weight of the flavors. Secondary images of glazed ham, charred molasses and sweet spice appear as well. Most comparable to Rodenbach's Alexander, only blackberry/raspberry flavored. One might also credibly draw comparisons between this and a Dashe Late Harvest Zin, a Turley, Ridge or Rosenblum field blend, or one of the ancient-vines Grenache/Shirazes from Aussie wineries such as Torbreck or Clarendon Hills. Quite an accomplishment!

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Clings to the sides of the glass like moss on a tree. Looks like sludge in the glass. Dark, rotting grape color -- deep purple-ish brown.

Very pungent aromas -- beet sugar, alcohol, and raspberry. The berry fragrance, especially, forces its way off the beer and at your face. Wickedly powerful. Intensely sweet flavor that's dominated by the raspberry. This is a bit akin to a raspberry syrup in flavor and texture. Homemade jam. While very cough syrupy, it hides the alcohol remarkably well. Silky smooth on the tongue and goes down easily for such a weighty, meaty brew. The most sinful of all desserts couldn't compare to a 4 ounce sample of this delight.

This apparently won a gold medal at a Michigan beer championship, and a good friend of mine originated the recipe. So I was pleased to sample it at the Michigan Summer Beer Fest yesterday, and it was one of the better brews there.

4.87/5  rDev +11.2%

Talk about a beer pouring like motor oil...Barely a skimming of a head is created from pour. But alas, the beer is 13.5% a/v, so not much was expected in this department. The beer is dark. Barely a ray of light penetrates to the other side. Dark crimson colored edging. The aroma is unbelievable. What concoction of sweet raspberry, brown sugar, malty goodness, bread pudding, rum, raisin...damn! One of the best smelling beers I've had the pleasure of sniffing. Upon tasting, I can hardly believe this beer has an octane rating of 13.5% a/v. If not careful, I could literally drain this beer in under 5 minutes. The mouthfeel is syrupy and lightly carbonated. Body, full. Flavor: Out of This World. It follows suit very nicely with the nose... sweet raspberry, deep malts, rum soaked raisins, dark brown sugar... whew. I'm speechless.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company