2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Ratings: 804 | Reviews: 410 | Show All Ratings:
rousee

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Whoa--this thing is one pain in thaass to open. It comes coated in wax but I heard a good pop when I opened it so if thats what it takes-I'm all for it.
A special thanks to Frozensoul327 who sent this to me because he is a classy individual.Cheers Erik.

The appearance is nothing special -dark purple-black--some ruby elements at the top part of the glass. Smell is somewhat vinous and also consists of raspberries and malt with some dark chocolate--a bit buttery but in a good way--quite nice.

Taste is just a beautifully smooth balance between the upfront maltiness and raspberry. The carbonation is so fine in this beer. Tiny bubbles just tingle your mouth forever. Willy Wonka woulda liked this one. Obviously at 13.5 %, its not too drinkable--in fact it has kicked my ass and I'm not even done with it. Very good though.

02-24-2006 22:48:34 | More by rousee
lou91

4.25/5  rDev -3.4%

I thought that this was not going to look or smell like beer but I was wrong. The smell was that of a very well aged barley wine – sweet maple and malty. The pour left a thin layer of small foam like a table cloth that just sat there without dissipating. I had it cold and let it warm up in my hand and I could smell this all day long. The taste is rich, thick, chewy with cherry not raspberry and chocolate maltiness. There is no doubt about the alcohol. I'll have it again in 2006 to see how aging impacts this truly unique beer. Thanks to mjohn27603.

02-19-2006 06:36:02 | More by lou91
denjen

4.45/5  rDev +1.1%

Dennis: Sent as part of a trade with a fellow beer lover in MI, this is one of the highest rated beers in MI, but also apparently one of the hardest to get. High in price and small in stature (6.3oz bottle) the saving grace for this beer is the unique craftsmanship. The name pretty much says what you'd expect, but unlike other disappointments, this brew delivers. The aroma is ripe with deep chocolate raspberry alcohol, but the taste is all that and so much more. Amazingly light in body for a brew so rich in aroma, deep liqueur dark chocolate raspberry is all you will enjoy, with an amazingly subtle alcohol bite for a 13.5% beverage.

Jen: I feel like I am drinking dessert. It starts off with the scents of a Lindt Raspberry Truffle; almost like I walked into the room where they are being made. I also get a faint scent of nuts. With a lighter body than I was expecting, the taste is quite unique. I feel like I just bit into a slice of chocolate cake topped with raspberry ganache. The body is filled with very small bubbles enhance the flavors. The taste (and ABV) makes this a sipper, but I would eat with a spoon for dessert any day. A definite must try at least once in your lifetime.

02-11-2006 23:25:25 | More by denjen
Jredner

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

HUGE chocolate malt aroma with ample sweet raspberry notes. Muddies amber in color with no real head. Big blast of chocolate and raspberry. Tastes like a raspberry truffle indeed. Matta mentioned Captain Crunch and I get that too. It’s so damn tasty it’s hard to believe it isn’t just a raspberry chocolate puree. There are mild caramel hints, but this mostly just a chocolate/raspberry party. I can’t detect any alcohol in it just smooth tasty goodness.

02-09-2006 19:00:52 | More by Jredner
PatYoda

Colorado

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Ah, the elusive Raspberry Eisbock. Thanks to BigDaddyWil for this bottle!

Appearance was nice - copper color with cherry highlights throughout. There was a small head upon pouring but this faded pretty quickly, which is to be expected for a 13.5% brew.

The smell is very pleasant. It's a nice mellow warm raspberry and cherry fruitiness, with a hint of caramel. The smell really intensifies as this warms, but it didn't surprise me as much as the spectacular taste.

The taste is like no other beer you've had. It tastes like chocolate covered raspberries without the tartness as first. Then the depth of the caramel malt hits you and really brings the complexity to another level. There is also some mysterious sparkly spiciness underneath everything that confounds me as I cannot put a name on it. This is one of the most decadent and rich beers I have ever tried, and it was a perfect dessert after a nice steak dinner and a Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout. There is never any hint of the alcohol content, which is amazing.

The mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. It's thick, that's for sure, but not so thick that it becomes chewy or heavy at any point. It's basically just perfect. I had to fight myself from chugging my tiny sample because I split the ridiculously small bottle with my girlfriend. This is such a good example of the diversity of beer. Just amazing.

02-03-2006 23:39:02 | More by PatYoda
rajendra82

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

This 2004 release was obtained in a trade with BA CRJMellor, the Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock came in a waxed green bottle in an unusual size of 6.3 oz. Scraping off the wax was rather easy with a knife. The beer came out dark red in color, with very fizzy carbonation head like a soda pop. The smell was a blend of chocolate and raspberry, and reminded me very much of gourmet dark chocolate truffles that I sample around Christmas. Taste was very much like reminiscent of those truffles as well, with melted dark chocolate blended with raspberry syrup. Rum, maple syrup, and vanilla, and coffee were some of the other flavors that came to mind while sipping the beer. Alcohol was medicinal, and hops herbal in nature. Aftertaste was peppery sharp, and prevented the beer from getting too sweet. Smooth and slick mouthfeel also advanced the impression of richness. A very unique beer that has little to do with flavors typically associated with other beers, and is closer in flavor profile to a pudding or a cake. Viva le difference!

01-28-2006 05:59:40 | More by rajendra82
blitheringidiot

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

After wrestling with the wax, revealed was a deep clear russet containing a few small bubbles rising to meet the fluffy dense dark tan settled 1/4" headcap which is like a good thief leaving no traces of presence at the scene. High ABV leaves the glass clean and spotless!

OK, let's tawk aroma. This eisbock has an aroma that just won't quit. Big malty kick translates with a tootsie roll, cocoa and raspberry layer cake dessert. Even some jelly bean sugary whiffs. Interesting.

First swigs: Thick viscous malty almost doppelbock. Cocoa. Dry raspberry fruit dark fruit middle. Raisins, and a hint of port vinious. Remember those Tootsie pops with the tootsie roll in the middle? Well that is this! ON!

Feel is thick yet subtle soft and a fairly easy clean finish. Wow! Some cherry syrup linger, but clean. This is a beer that needs to be had again. That's good drinkability.

Last swigs: Chocolate covered raisins. This beer is a politician: Drinkability talks an easy talk but once this gets going, the ABV will lie and before you know it.... whoah! Thanks to our fellow BA resident Calvinist GeoffFromSJ who astutely taught me today that "Jesus saves, Moses invests." 73/4.29 Tettnang! Boo-yah!

Beer is good. Happy Eis-Eis baby beering.

01-28-2006 05:16:29 | More by blitheringidiot
GeoffFromSJ

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 6.3 ounce bottle into two BA fest glasses. Split with blitheringidiot.

His pour wasn't as nice in the appearance department. I thought my head would dissipate, but it was dense and wouldn't go away. I'll split the difference.

One of the nicest aromas of any beer I've had. Fruit, probably dried. Tootsie Roll or Tootsie Roll Pop others pointed out. Chocolate covered dried fruit.

Boozy taste. Similar to a quad in that nature. Dark fruit. Chocolate. Raspberry seems like it meshes in here. Raisins. Wonderful. Nice. Rich.

Mouthfeel is perfect.

Drinkable? Very rich. But, yes, drinkable. Smellable too.

01-28-2006 04:38:20 | More by GeoffFromSJ
frazbri

4.53/5  rDev +3%

Kuhnhenn Rasberry Eisbock poured deep brown in color with a hint of mahogany on the edges. There was just a hint of a head and it had a constant, slow stream of tiny carbonation bubbles. The powerful aroma contained rich chocolate, caramel, cherry cough syrup, grape blow pops, and rasberries. Flavors contained notes of cocoa, berries, a little cough medicine, and a bitter undertone. Mouthfeel had a syrup-like consistancy and just a little carbonation.

This is a desert beer. It's sweet, but has enough bitterness to keep it in balance. It has an appearance like undercarbonated cola. I can still taste the rasberries as I type this. I've never had another beer like this.

01-24-2006 01:49:04 | More by frazbri
DrJay

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

2004 Vintage:
6.3 oz green bottle sealed with red wax. This poured with a thin cream-coloured head that settled into a long lasting ring. The beer is a clear, ruby-chestnut colour, a nice combination of red and brown hues. It even looks thick in the glass and there's a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It smells and tastes exactly like a fruit-centered chocolate. Chocolate and toffee combine masterfully with the tart raspberry character. Quite thick and completely coats the palate. Fruit and toffee all the way. The acidity level provides enough tartness to balance out the sweetness and there seems to be a complete lack of hop bitterness or flavour. Caramel is more evident towards the end. It also has a lingering finish with the tartness coming forward, but the sweet toffee never disappears. Just a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish. Low carbonation, a bit syrupy but not cloying. Definitely a sipping beer. I could drink this one all night, just slowly.

01-19-2006 02:26:08 | More by DrJay
trumick

3.68/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a deep red-brown with no head and no lacing.

Scent is ok with raspberry initially coverd with brown sugar carmelized raisins and bread pudding. It all comes together to form a scent alongside the alcohol.

Taste is huge and bready with a red raspberry center then alcohol then raspberry again to finish it all off, but the alcohol is hidden in there somewhere. The carmel flavor holds on for quite a while. At 13.5 the alcohol really doesn't stand out all that much.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I would expect from the taste and the smell, smooth but still on the medium side. The carbination seemed just about right.

Drinkability is easy to define, good. I am somewhat impressed with the hiding of the alcohol.

Note: This beer was 12.59 for 6.3 oz. I liked it ok, but at that price sadly, I won't be having another.

01-17-2006 00:31:31 | More by trumick
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

(6.3 oz bottle, 2004 vintage – drank in January 2006) – Poured a hazy deep red/brown beer with a rather large dark foamy head with great retention. Aroma of raspberry chocolate cake is quite evident with some port-like alcohol sensation. Taste is less sweet then expected as well as raspberry, which I had expected to be more dominant. Instead there is strong chocolate and caramel malt with a semi-sweet ending. Did not fit my expectation but is still very good nonetheless. I would now be very curious to try the raspberry-free eisbock.

01-16-2006 21:11:30 | More by Phyl21ca
arguemaniac

Thanks to BigDaddyWil for getting me this one:

Wow…. I mean…. Wow!!

This beer is mind-blowingly fantastic. Lives up to, and then exceeds the hype. I was all set to write an extensive review but I’m enjoying this one way too much divide my attention for too long, so here goes nothing:

Pours a deep copper/mahogany with a moderate head and very little lace (precisly what’s to be expected from an eisbock). From the nose to the palate there are very rich and very clean raspberry and chocolate flavors (sweet chocolate, mind you, not the bitter unsweetened kind you normally encounter in beer, though that’s in there too). The mouthfeel is silky and fairly full with a light carbonation tang. The alcohol is hidden so well that this 13% ABV brew is more drinkable than many of the 8% or 9% ABV beers that I’ve had. It is so incredibly delicious that the 6.3oz serving is gone in no time!!

This is probably the best beer I have ever had, it’s certainly the only one I’ve ever given all 5’s! Highly, highly recommended!!!

01-16-2006 04:10:04 | More by arguemaniac
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Wow, this is definately a beer that lives up to hype. Attractively packaged in a 6.3 oz bottle, 2004 Vintage, I like the wax. Pours a thick brown/red, orange edges, medium off white head forms, goes pretty fast but leaves a ring around the glass, some spots of lace. Smell is raspberries, toasted bread, chocolate, tons of caramel/toffee, amazing smell. Taste is sweet/then tart raspberries up front, toast, chocolate roast/chocolate cake middle and finish, smooth caramel and toffee aftertaste, with some dates and figs, little bit of vinous character. Mouthfeel is full bodied with low carbonation, some nice alcohol warmth, although the 13.5% is no where to be found, alcohol is disguised as well as any other beer I've had. Superb beer, definately seek out. Thanks for the find DrJay!!

01-12-2006 20:52:45 | More by Viggo
fdrich29

4.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Gladly split this bottle from 2004 with Irishagain.

This is one phenomonal beer. Even calling this concoction beer seems odd to me, it seemed like so much more than a beer.

The smell was out of this world, raspberries and chocolate as was the taste. I can not come close to doing justice to this beer. I'll just say it was well worth the hype and end it with that.

If you can get your hands on a bottle do whatever you have to get it.

01-12-2006 06:07:36 | More by fdrich29
bultrey

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%

Split a bottle of this with slander and schoolteacher at Spuyten Duyvil. Yes, we each had a serving the size of a brandy pour, which is appropriate for this beer. Didn't take notes, but didn't need to. Taste it once, and you remember it forever. Glowing deep red, no head... OK maybe a little head. Smells like a fresh raspberry harvest, as if you were stomping around in a vat of raspberries and the aroma were permeating your senses. Tastes like a red velvet raspberry cake with chocolate truffles, or perhaps like one of those Jacques Torres chocolates filled with raspberry puree. In fact, put this inside of chocolates, and they'd sell like hotcakes, I bet. I found the taste to be a bit too much like a raspberry cordial, and not enough like a beer, but unique nonetheless. The mouthfeel is quite remarkable -- "pillowy" is the first word that came to mind. Just so soft in the mouth, almost makes you think you're eating a piece of cake. An after-dinner sipper to be sure, not drinkable by any means. If you had any more than the small bottle of this at a sitting, I predict a big headache for you. I would love to be able to revisit this one in, say, about 10 years.

01-10-2006 19:39:35 | More by bultrey
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -7.3%

What are they trying to accomplish? I have had chocolate and either raspberry or strawberry filling..in fruit wine and liquors naturally or more than naturally sweet. That's dessert. Yes in this beer there is distinct flavours from the eisbock, the chocolate, the tart raspberry. Yes, very much like an American filled chocolate. To me, this is a fruit beer. I have had good beers with chocolate. I have had Unibroue and other fruit beers. This one had the memory of tart raspberry on my palate hours later. Thanks Jay.
Had an unusual low carbonation at the brewery 6 months later. It was fruit wine/wine tasting, tart but not mouth puckering.

01-08-2006 03:23:39 | More by Sammy
TurdFurgison

3.58/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured from tiny bottle dated 2004. Bought directly from the brewery in Warren, MI.

Color is deep burgandy, almost no head on top. Smells like raspberry mostly.

Taste is hard to describe. The raspberry juice flavor is there, but the background beer taste is difficult... I didn't like it all that much. But my wife loved it so it's hard to rate. Tasted like raspberry and dark chocolate with some alcohol mixed in. Some malt flavor but no hops.

Try it once if you must. I only tried it because it was so highly rated on BA.

01-02-2006 14:08:44 | More by TurdFurgison
BigDaddyWil

2.85/5  rDev -35.2%

Green bottle dipped in red wax. Label states vintage 2004
Served into a flute glass.

Much anticipated brew after reading the many high praises this eisbock has received. Fortunately, its readily available living here in Michigan.

Appearance: Awesome deep maroon color, reminds me of a red wine. Not much carbonation, with no head or lacing. A slight oily texture, most likely due to the high alcohol content.

Smell: WOW!!! Very different, very strong combination of rasberries,cherries, and dark chocolate. Alcohol is completely hidden in the smell.

Taste: O.K., this is not my type of brew. Strong taste of dark chocolate, combined with fruits and berries. It reminded me of bad tasting chocolate covered cherries.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth feel, no alcohol burn, very easy too drink.

Drinkability:Alcohol is completety hidden and is easy too drink. Very smooth. A great sipper!!!

I must admit I was disappointed with this eisbock, its just not my thing. I will try again at a later date, maybe it will hit me different. But at $8.33 for 6.3oz. its hard for me to purchase this again.

12-27-2005 01:20:08 | More by BigDaddyWil
Chadbrew

Delaware

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

What a huge thanks to Northertimber for the opportunity to try this one. This is my RedRider BB gun if you know what I mean...
Gorgeous caramel color and an apparent fullness to the body in this. Initially there is a burst of brownish head that flashes then falls away like fireworks. Even before pouring there is this chocolate/vanilla/raspberry all macerated in brandy aroma that involuntarily lifts the corners of your mouth in anticipation. The flavor starts very alcohol with huge chocolate covered cherry sweetness. There's raspberry cordials dripping in sweet brandy, what a treat. The body is superb... not syrupy like the rest of the beers composition would lead you to believe, it's actually full and lush and goes down velvety but finishes so clean.
I initially felt like the size of the bottle was a bit of a marketing rip-off but I realize that, for me anyways, this was perfect to thoroughly enjoy without biting off more than I could chew. I will truly be seeking this out for the holidays every year from here out.

12-26-2005 23:13:55 | More by Chadbrew
xgrigorix

4.72/5  rDev +7.3%

Green 187 ml wax dipped bottle, vintage 2004.

Deep tawny coloured brown. Thin off white head barely forms and imediately sinks into nothing.

Smells like some sort of crazy tart raspberry brandy.

Flavours cocoa, and sweet toffee candy. Big raspberries (you'd swear there were berries in the glass). Enough malty flavours to hold it together. Incredibly balanced, viscous, with gentle carbonation. Sweet finish, but not cloying. Nothing is subtle, but the whole thing holds itself together nicely, and has a great deal of character.

12-26-2005 03:01:29 | More by xgrigorix
Zorro

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

6.3 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

2004 vintage.

Pours a hazy thick reddish brown beer.

Smell is very sweet chocolate and caramel and raspberries. Spicy scents of vanilla, black pepper, truffles and cherry on the alcohol fumes. Smells like expensive chocolates.

Taste is lots of raspberries and chocolate with a little tartness from the berries. Super richness here I almost feel like I could eat this as a pudding. I am forced into small sips to savor the flavor of this. Long lasting raspberry flavor that takes a good 5 minutes to die off. The flavor is all chocolate and raspberries here.

Mouthfeel is pudding thick.

Crazy drinkable beer that was the PERFECT beer for Christmas!

12-25-2005 03:54:21 | More by Zorro
Jason

4.65/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to BA ThomasHardy for the sample.

Cute little 6.3 oz wax topped green bottle with the vintage date of 2004 on it.

A- Thin fizzy off-white head, never really expect much here being a higher alcohol brew. I carefully decanted this beer to leave the sediment behind, this leaves a hazy brownish garnet hue brew in the glass.

S- Big fruity tartness in the nose, suggestions of faint raspberry brandy come to mind with a deep and complex maltiness underneath.

T&M- So smooth, amazingly smooth and very creamy in the back-end. Thick malty body with layers of sweet and toasted maltiness within. The raspberry character add complex levels of tartness and sweetness that meld perfectly with a strong alcohol.

D- Oh Mama ... I could sip this all night long. Sadly I only had 6.3 oz. :-(

12-07-2005 20:26:48 | More by Jason
jewski

6.3oz. green glass bottle, dated 2004. Consumed at room temperature. Pours a beautiful deep garnet red, almost black with a fine, off-white head with minimal lacing.

The nose is pure sweetness. Raspberries, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate with the merest suggestion of alcohol. I found myself smelling the glass long after the beer was gone.The taste is even more amazing. A burst of ripe raspberries progresses to bitter-sweet chocolate truffle in a smooth, fluid transition. Vaguely spiced in the finish; earthy, anise. The flavor just lingers softly in your mouth, waiting for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Syrupy, but not sticky, more silky. Wonderful. Drinkability is perfect. A sipper, but only a drying hint of alcohol. Smooth enough to finish in one gulp.

It doesn’t get any better than this. Bottled perfection. Was very tempted to open my second bottle right after enjoying the first.

12-02-2005 07:18:35 | More by jewski
hopdog

4.83/5  rDev +9.8%

From my notes taken on 6/23/05...

Well, tonight is my Birthday. As I sit here, 1 year closer to death, what better way to drown my sorrows than in a glass of this fine beer. Big thanks to eyedrinkale for this one!

Poured a hazy brownish-red color with a very small sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate covered raspberries, tart cherries, and other dark fruits. Tastes of tart raspberries, chocolate, caramel, and light alcohol (but no where near the 18%). Very easy to drink. Amazing. I had this one after dinner and what a perfect after dinner/desert beer.

11-29-2005 15:40:24 | More by hopdog