Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,290
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Reviews: 442 | Hads: 1,145
2.87/5  rDev -34.5%

Green bottle dipped in red wax. Label states vintage 2004
Served into a flute glass.

Much anticipated brew after reading the many high praises this eisbock has received. Fortunately, its readily available living here in Michigan.

Appearance: Awesome deep maroon color, reminds me of a red wine. Not much carbonation, with no head or lacing. A slight oily texture, most likely due to the high alcohol content.

Smell: WOW!!! Very different, very strong combination of rasberries,cherries, and dark chocolate. Alcohol is completely hidden in the smell.

Taste: O.K., this is not my type of brew. Strong taste of dark chocolate, combined with fruits and berries. It reminded me of bad tasting chocolate covered cherries.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth feel, no alcohol burn, very easy too drink.

Drinkability:Alcohol is completety hidden and is easy too drink. Very smooth. A great sipper!!!

I must admit I was disappointed with this eisbock, its just not my thing. I will try again at a later date, maybe it will hit me different. But at $8.33 for 6.3oz. its hard for me to purchase this again.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

What a huge thanks to Northertimber for the opportunity to try this one. This is my RedRider BB gun if you know what I mean...
Gorgeous caramel color and an apparent fullness to the body in this. Initially there is a burst of brownish head that flashes then falls away like fireworks. Even before pouring there is this chocolate/vanilla/raspberry all macerated in brandy aroma that involuntarily lifts the corners of your mouth in anticipation. The flavor starts very alcohol with huge chocolate covered cherry sweetness. There's raspberry cordials dripping in sweet brandy, what a treat. The body is superb... not syrupy like the rest of the beers composition would lead you to believe, it's actually full and lush and goes down velvety but finishes so clean.
I initially felt like the size of the bottle was a bit of a marketing rip-off but I realize that, for me anyways, this was perfect to thoroughly enjoy without biting off more than I could chew. I will truly be seeking this out for the holidays every year from here out.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Green 187 ml wax dipped bottle, vintage 2004.

Deep tawny coloured brown. Thin off white head barely forms and imediately sinks into nothing.

Smells like some sort of crazy tart raspberry brandy.

Flavours cocoa, and sweet toffee candy. Big raspberries (you'd swear there were berries in the glass). Enough malty flavours to hold it together. Incredibly balanced, viscous, with gentle carbonation. Sweet finish, but not cloying. Nothing is subtle, but the whole thing holds itself together nicely, and has a great deal of character.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

6.3 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

2004 vintage.

Pours a hazy thick reddish brown beer.

Smell is very sweet chocolate and caramel and raspberries. Spicy scents of vanilla, black pepper, truffles and cherry on the alcohol fumes. Smells like expensive chocolates.

Taste is lots of raspberries and chocolate with a little tartness from the berries. Super richness here I almost feel like I could eat this as a pudding. I am forced into small sips to savor the flavor of this. Long lasting raspberry flavor that takes a good 5 minutes to die off. The flavor is all chocolate and raspberries here.

Mouthfeel is pudding thick.

Crazy drinkable beer that was the PERFECT beer for Christmas!

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to BA ThomasHardy for the sample.

Cute little 6.3 oz wax topped green bottle with the vintage date of 2004 on it.

A- Thin fizzy off-white head, never really expect much here being a higher alcohol brew. I carefully decanted this beer to leave the sediment behind, this leaves a hazy brownish garnet hue brew in the glass.

S- Big fruity tartness in the nose, suggestions of faint raspberry brandy come to mind with a deep and complex maltiness underneath.

T&M- So smooth, amazingly smooth and very creamy in the back-end. Thick malty body with layers of sweet and toasted maltiness within. The raspberry character add complex levels of tartness and sweetness that meld perfectly with a strong alcohol.

D- Oh Mama ... I could sip this all night long. Sadly I only had 6.3 oz. :-(

6.3oz. green glass bottle, dated 2004. Consumed at room temperature. Pours a beautiful deep garnet red, almost black with a fine, off-white head with minimal lacing.

The nose is pure sweetness. Raspberries, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate with the merest suggestion of alcohol. I found myself smelling the glass long after the beer was gone.The taste is even more amazing. A burst of ripe raspberries progresses to bitter-sweet chocolate truffle in a smooth, fluid transition. Vaguely spiced in the finish; earthy, anise. The flavor just lingers softly in your mouth, waiting for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Syrupy, but not sticky, more silky. Wonderful. Drinkability is perfect. A sipper, but only a drying hint of alcohol. Smooth enough to finish in one gulp.

It doesn’t get any better than this. Bottled perfection. Was very tempted to open my second bottle right after enjoying the first.

4.81/5  rDev +9.8%

From my notes taken on 6/23/05...

Well, tonight is my Birthday. As I sit here, 1 year closer to death, what better way to drown my sorrows than in a glass of this fine beer. Big thanks to eyedrinkale for this one!

Poured a hazy brownish-red color with a very small sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate covered raspberries, tart cherries, and other dark fruits. Tastes of tart raspberries, chocolate, caramel, and light alcohol (but no where near the 18%). Very easy to drink. Amazing. I had this one after dinner and what a perfect after dinner/desert beer.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Purchased for $8.33 for 2004 vintage in a 6.3 oz bottle. Pours out caramel in color and consistency almost like a thin syrup. Aroma is of cocoa and raspberry reminding me of a raspberry tootsie pop. Head dissipates rather quickly. Elements of chocolate and a sweet with slight tartiness of raspberry. Reminds me of a candy. Aftertaste remains on tongue for a long time afterwards. A slight bitterness and warming alcohol presence on the tongue. Many interesting flavors going back and forth. Not too thick in mouthfeel, light on the tongue. This has stood up fairly well after sitting on a store shelf for a while. I think a little bit is just right. As I drink more the fruitness and raspberry flavors come out a little more than the chocolate.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

6.3 oz bottle. 2004 Vintage.
Figured it'd be a good one to try for review #200.

Pours darker than I expected...deep garnet color. Leaves a shadowy head skimming over the top of the brew. Aroma and taste are complex..the two main flavors are rich chocolate and berries (raspberry, one would assume), but I definitely think I tasted some mulberry and blackberry as well. Unlike the (in)famous Sam Adams Triple Bock (and similar high alcohol brews) I could have drank this entire bottle in a few seconds...it's that easy to drink, and that damn good.

It was enjoyed tremendously at room temp...I really don't think this beer would taste bad ice cold, or if it sat out in the sun for 2 days. It's just an incredible tasting and well-crafted brew in all aspects. Not too tart, not too sweet, just...yeah. The bottle was gone way, way too soon. I'm positive I could drink a 500ml bottle myself, it's got tremendous drinkability for such a big beer. Maybe someday I'll get my hands on one of those beauties. I was not expecting a beer this experimental to be this good...but it had no problem living up to my expectations.

Thanks to walleye for giving me the chance to try this amazing, unique brew.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Big cheers to Kev for sharing this one with Chris and I (even though it was a small bottle). 6.3oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a deep ruby red color with just the slightest bit of bubbles. Absolutely no lacing. The smell is fantastic. A beautiful blend of honey, raspberries, and alcohol. The just meld together, you don't know where one ends and the other begins. Very intoxicating. The taste is insane. Lots of fresh raspberries coming out at me. A bit of sugary sweetness and some slight alcohol warming. Slightly spicy too, with just a little bit of ginger. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and strong, just smothering my tongue. The drinkability is deadly for a 13.5% brew. A really awesome beer, and I can't believe Kev let me have a nice share of this bottle, cheers to him!

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

This one pours a dark red color with no head and no carbonation. The aroma is wonderful. Sweet smell. Actually, it smells exactly like sweet candy. Incredible. The flavor is much the same, but it's alcoholic fruity candy. It has a slight sting from the alcohol, but this stuff is damn tasty - strickly candy-like. The mouthfeel is pretty thick, actually and the drinkability is wonderful for the level of alcohol. Just candy.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

6.3oz. 2004 bottle: There was a faint "pffft" when I popped the cap. This one poured out a cloudy slightly reddish-brown color. The head was about non-existent. The aroma is interesting. Definite notes of raspberry, but also a sourness to it. Also notes of a rich maltiness and some oakiness. It also reminds me somwwhat of a port. The raspberries are a big part of the taste, but not overpowering. There is an initial mild sweetness, that is followed by somewhat sour aftertaste. There is also a bit of a thickness and silkiness to the palate. The are also flavors of caramel and toffee in the mix. Absolutely no taste of alcohol, which is suprising given the 18% ABV. This is extremely nice.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Deep brownish prune, limited off-white head still impresses for 18%. Huge rooty nose, explosive green character, like the branches of a raspberry in its woodiness. Funky yeast notes emanate in the form of an hairspray concentrate. Welcoming chocolate and vegetal tones wouldn’t fit together in any other beer, but the acid character, the woody nature and the truffle richness appear like they all came from the same tree. Plenty of raspberries underlying flavors, but the alcohol is the big loser, nowhere to be seen which is most impressive. Slight oiliness on the palate, medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Strong presence in mouth, less fruity, possibly less acid than expected, a nice acetic backbone remains subtle, woody, though you have the impression that the tartness grows from sip to sip. If a dessert beer exists, you have one here, full on truffles and not too sweet at that. Worth seeking big time.

4.02/5  rDev -8.2%

6.3oz 2004 bottle, Sampled September 2005
Pours with the faintest trace of carbonation that creates a very small ring of fine bubbles that bubble up from the etched marking at the bottom of my Duvel tulip. The beer is a hazy amber-red color that shows a thin wispy tan head when roused. The aroma is thick with raspberries, but there is a rich malty note to it that stops it from becoming pure raspberry. As I go in for a deeper smell of the aroma the rich maltiness of this beer becomes much more apparent. My nose has become used to the raspberry note and I now get rich concentrated notes of caramel, toffee, and a toasty maltiness underneath the dominant raspberry note. Actually the more I think about it the more it seems to smell like a raspberry flavored chocolate malt ball.

The beer is quite thick on the palate, yet it is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting. There is some sweetness here but it is malty sweet as opposed to the typical sugary sweetness that I was expecting. The thing that really lingers on the palate after the beer has been swallowed is the rich concentrated maltiness; notes of toffee and toasted biscuits. Because of the relative dryness of this beer, the raspberry flavor is not allowed to dominate as much as it could. The raspberry is certainly noticeable, but it is not too overwhelming. Actually after my first sip of this I was sorely disappointed the flavors just seemed to clash, and were quite jarring. It got better with subsequent sips though. The maltiness, as in the aroma, really reminds me of chocolate malt balls, definitely interesting.

Despite my first impression, I am definitely enjoying this beer. It is not cloying, like the New Glarus beers, and the raspberry notes are not overwhelming. In fact they are in a good balance with the rest of the beer. All of the flavors are concentrated and over-the-top, but none of them are out of whack with the rest of the beer.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Red waxed 6.3 oz from an '04 vintage, poured into a snifter.

DEEP reddish brown with a small head that doesn't last long and leaves a thinly veiled ring. Thins rings of lace are left as it goes down.

Tons of real raspberries and chocolate make up the nose. Perfect balance between the sweet berries and an almost roasty dark chocolate.

Tastes a lot like the nose promises, raspberry and chocolate abound. Slight vinous character creeps in after the berry and chocolate notes, then its back to the raspberry filled chocolate candy. Not the cheap kind you find in a Whitman's Sampler, but the kind that are hand made at an independant chocolate shop that uses an old family recipe.

I'm suprised this lacks any syrup in the mouth. The best description I can give is a really good Old Ale, like Fourth Dimentia, but a bit more concentrated. I can taste the sugars without feeling them stick to my tongue. Very drinkable as the abv doesn't register, and the flavors are flawless.

While it pushes the definition of beer, its damn tasty and makes for an excellent after dinner drink.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

What in interesting beer.

This one pours out to a dark, ruby color in the glass with an average-sized head. The aroma is that of fruit, obviously, with the insane amount of raspberries used to make it. At first smell, the aroma is light but builds and builds until you really can take it in. This is one highly concentrated beer. The taste is very good and incorporates plums, raisins, caramel, and obviously fruit. There is a tartness to it that isn't overwhelming, nor is too light. It matches up with a residual sweetness that balances rather than being cloying. I felt like I was drinking a barleywine, lambic, red wine, bourbon and port all at the same time and enjoying it. Ridiculously overpiced, but a very, fine beer.

3.13/5  rDev -28.5%

A damned expensive beer. I never thought i'd pay nearly 10 bucks for a 6.3 oz bottle of beer. Poured out to an amber red / raspberry color with very low carbonation. No lace noted around the glass. About a 1/5 of an inch head was present for most of the glass, but got smaller toward the end, leaving only a thin layer behind. Odors of raspberries and caramel are very strong, with notes of cocoa and chocolate. Taste was very wine like. Very strong flavors of berry and a very powerful sweetness on the palate. The 13.00 ABV hides well behind the complex flavors that this brew displays. Finished a bit on the sour/alcohol side, but still very berry. Very much a sipper, like a bourbon or scotch. A unique experience, but not one I think i'll seek out again on a regular basis. I'm sure many will give me hell over the review, but quite simply, I wasn't amazed. Didn't do all that much for me. I've tried it, now what's next... Nonetheless, a well crafted brew. Worth a try.

Had another tonight (09/27/2005)... This stuff is way overpriced. I cannot believe I just drank 9 dollars. It's decent, but more like a wine or liquor than a beer. I did note that the flavor improves at a temprature closer to 50 degrees or so. Still, not a bad beer, but I must say I think it's possibly overrated, and definitly overpriced. Good thing "Value" isn't a category for scoring, as this beer would not earn high scores at all.

4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Took a special trip to get this little guy- 187 mL poured into a Reidel wine glass. Dark red with a touch of brown. Scant but present carbonation but no real head. Smells of deep fruits and roasty things. There's a real depth of smell here; you can sense the syrupy- ness and muskiness of this guy; little sherry and leather under that. Taste is really phenomenal. I mean, really. I've never had something change this many times in the mouth. Wonderful concentrated raspberry without a sickly sweetness. A touch of roast malts sneaks in under this and caramel and creme brule finish it off with hints of butterscotch. All this while feeling a little pinprick of carbonation and a smooth fullness in the mouth. The heat from the alcohol is perfectly balanced.
As for drinkability- no, you can't make this a session beer. It's not the point. (too expensive anyway). But this goes down the way such a concentrated sipper should.

Overall, almost perfect. This beer should get hyped. It deserves it.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured a hazy reddish-pink, color with a thin, light tan / pinkish head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of sweet caramel and toffee malts, honey, nuts, light chocolate, raspberry, and light tart cherry as well. Taste of dominant chocolate, caramel malt, some earthiness, lots of tart raspberries, and roasted java, with a touch of alcohol in the finish. Thanks Mike!

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Purply blackened brown cola color. Light brownish spongy cap of thin proportions creeps and keeps to the edges. Some oily spotty lacing glazes the glass.

Aroma is of a raspberry tootsie pop. A nice sweet display of sugared candy raspberry and tootsie rolls. Keeps a highly sweetened dough of fresh white bread among the crystalized sugary topping.

Taste is more blackberry-like then raspberry, fruity and berry loaded, the raspberry is there with its souring tart along with a sugared candy tartness and sweetness mixing and melding together with some interesting Rolo-like chocolate and caramel. Perhaps some strawberry, kiwi, and nectarine juices have been squeezed in. Quite sweet and candyish with a calmer tone of soda pop-like sugar and character. Succulent fresh bread dough keeps an extra thick backing into the chocolate tones which are blended in with a really sophisticated placement and slick texture.

Feel is pretty lively and thickly set with smoothened sweet tart tones and no sticky stuff. Swift, dank, and stuffy yet holds a uniquely refreshing cool briskness. Big time sugared candy impressions are left after each sip. Subtle dryness in the finish with feathery chocolate richness. Its the liquid version of a Tootsi pop. The 13.5% is never evident in any of the character, but definately hits with an after effect of sleepyness.

At $30 a 500ml bottle this is one spendy, trendy treat to save for special occasions or for a dessert drink after fancy dinners.
Bottle #34 acquired through the tr/U.P. connection.

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

Bottel number 41. This review will put over the top and officially make an Aficionado. Can't think of a more fitting beer to do that.

Pours a red-stained chocloate brown color with some streaks of black. Large tan head forms on the pours and evenly dissipates leaving just a fw remnants of scattered lace.
Aroma is a head spinning mix of dark fruit flavors. Raspberry, cherry, plums, currants and raisins all make an appearance with some sticky toffee and chocolate also in the background.
Flavors literally explode in your mouth as the strong raspberry and cassis flavors really grab at your palate. Just strong enough undertone of chocolate and some bitterings to provide a complimentary taste and keeping it from overthe top sweet. It still makes your teeth hurt with the sweetness but just an incredibly well made and delicious beer.
Mouthfeel has a fresh fruit tartness and sweetness about with just enough depth of darker malts to make you know your are drinking a beer. Carbonation level is subtle but appropraite especailly in light of the ABV figure. Just a taste of the alcohol present reminiscent of their Fourth Dementia.
Drinkability is sublime. Believe the hype, this beer is as good a specialty and unique beer style can get. Really awesome job from the K Bros.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Clear garnet read in color, with perhaps a slight haze, nonetheless, quite clear for a raspberry beer. On pouring, it sported a massive tan head, which slowly collapsed to a thick collar and scattered patches of foam. There was an abundance of slow-rising carbonation.

Aroma: Profound aroma of raspberries and chocolate, rich vanilla, slight wood, old pipe tobacco, leather. The aroma rivals the complexity of a fine old Port.

Taste: Extraordinary deep and rich aroma, with raspberries and dark chocolate throughout. It finished with a profound warming alcohol note and mild herbal hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and rich, perhaps a touch thin, the finish is a bit dry.

Drinkability/notes: This beer challenges my powers of description, it is certainly one of the best beers that I have ever had. If you have the opportunity to obtain this beer, by all means do so. If trading for it, do not hesitate to be generous, it is well worth it. The six ounce nip bottle seems small, but it is sufficient to enjoy and appreciate this beer - and be left wanting more.

Thanks to HardTarget for sharing this most excellent beer.

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle Inspection: A Lilliputian bottle of 6.3 oz. with a red wax sealed cap. 2004 vintage with a note that the beer could handle additional age well. Such as small bottle is sure to disappoint, especially since I am sharing it with fellow BA Pegasus AND our women want a taste.

Aroma: OMG. It has some maple syrup, perfumed alcohol, cherry pie filling, vanilla, chocolate, musty leather, extremely complex. Bottom line: chocolate covered cherries are pretty much on target.

Appearance: Murky chocolate amber with a surprising amount of carbonation for an eisbock, but the dark tan head only flashed briefly before dying.

Flavor: Massively rich malt with a very sweet, very sudden fruit assault. The fruit is mostly raspberry, but some of the alcoholic chocolate covered cherry (complete with the gooey filling) and dark rich malt playing a serious role. The flavor profile morphed gracefully as it warmed bringing out some more of the alcoholic zing and even more chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel: The body is a little thin, which is surprising given the massiveness of the beer. It is also drying and slightly puckering.

Overall Impression: I wish to bath in this. I kept thinking how much better all other beers would be if I could only pour some of this in them. The deep malt taste is balanced by the massive raspberry tartness. This beer is complex yet soothing. My feeble words don’t begin to convey the true nature of this beer. I can only say: seek. Personally, I’m gassing up the car and driving up to the brewery. It’s only 1,429 miles. Takes exactly a day according to Google.
I’ll be there soon.
Undying gratitude to Eyedrinkale for the experience.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Lovely 500 ml bottle shared with mentor, who provided, bless his heart.

Beautiful cocoa head, deep magenta hue, edging on brown...looks like a bockish brown, but shows crimson aspects, as well.

Vast aromatics...cream & cognac....angelic...sweetness, light and lively, matched with the power of booze. Raspberry flavor is shy at first, but peeks out eventually (in aroma and taste)...
...which is where we're going next...tastes like brandy at first, until raspberry slips through, under the coat of çognac...and the result is utterly unheard of ...a graceful, powerful thing, some nuts, chocolate charge the palate elegantly...a sublime sipper and a rich elixir, all at once.
After further examination, "absolutely gorgeous" is good as I can get, for now...uncanny, this balance, this magnificent marriage, and this perfect play of flavors, that harmonizes to create a gentle blend that delivers a rare, unheard-of experience in the flavor, and all throught the experience.
Fantastic balance: never too strong, too dark, too rich, just right...slick, yet graceful, not sickly, not treacly, somehow just the perfect match of a strong dark lager and the raspberry flavor, with enchanting yeast...a magical match of cookie + fruit + liquor.
There's a slight bite, a bit of hops, then all is mellow, you never really feel the 13%, it's a sly, subtle sophisticated combination.
Full-bodied, yet not fulsome, and wholly memorable. Unique among beers, this has a flavor and a transcendent effect not felt in many other beers.
They did their work well at Kuhnhenn, and crafted a masterpiece...a $30 bottle masterpiece, though? Ehhh???
Definitely a special occasion beer, and after-dinner dessert brew, only for revelling and toasting, something to mellow the mood and usher in an unheard of feeling among all in company...not an any-old-day beer, by any means.

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

500 ml bottle shared with feloniousmonk on 6/4/05. Thanks to a different BA (who has asked to remain anonymous) for picking this one up for me. Pours a thin light-tan head that quickly fades, like a carbonation released from a soda. The beer itself is copper orange and is nearly clear. Smells like raspberry sorbet or ice-cream. Smells alot like a raspberry Lifesavers Creamsaver. There's a metallic hint in the berry and a mild refined alcohol. In short, this smells like a fine liquor...brandy. The taste starts wet sweet with some gentle cream flavor. The middle rises to a tart fruity, not a clear raspberry, definitely berry and fruity. Fruit flavors I get are tangerine, raspberry, white grapes, cherry, pumpkin, and strawberry. These flavors persist a long time, just slowly fading away as the aftertaste. A mild alcohol burn comes in with the fruits is disapates with almost a flat grassy blah characteristic. Although the alcohol is not strong in the flavor, this beer definitely has belly warming qualities. Add to this a super-thick mouthfeel and mild carbonation. This is unique beer...I've never had anything like this before, but not one I'll ever seek out again. I was disappointed at the lack of that caramelly bock malty character. I would recommend serving this beer with an vanilla-based ice cream deseert.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company