Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,267
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,091 | Reviews: 452
4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

Kuhnhenn Rasberry Eisbock poured deep brown in color with a hint of mahogany on the edges. There was just a hint of a head and it had a constant, slow stream of tiny carbonation bubbles. The powerful aroma contained rich chocolate, caramel, cherry cough syrup, grape blow pops, and rasberries. Flavors contained notes of cocoa, berries, a little cough medicine, and a bitter undertone. Mouthfeel had a syrup-like consistancy and just a little carbonation.

This is a desert beer. It's sweet, but has enough bitterness to keep it in balance. It has an appearance like undercarbonated cola. I can still taste the rasberries as I type this. I've never had another beer like this.

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%

2004 Vintage:
6.3 oz green bottle sealed with red wax. This poured with a thin cream-coloured head that settled into a long lasting ring. The beer is a clear, ruby-chestnut colour, a nice combination of red and brown hues. It even looks thick in the glass and there's a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottle. It smells and tastes exactly like a fruit-centered chocolate. Chocolate and toffee combine masterfully with the tart raspberry character. Quite thick and completely coats the palate. Fruit and toffee all the way. The acidity level provides enough tartness to balance out the sweetness and there seems to be a complete lack of hop bitterness or flavour. Caramel is more evident towards the end. It also has a lingering finish with the tartness coming forward, but the sweet toffee never disappears. Just a bit of alcohol warmth in the finish. Low carbonation, a bit syrupy but not cloying. Definitely a sipping beer. I could drink this one all night, just slowly.

3.6/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a deep red-brown with no head and no lacing.

Scent is ok with raspberry initially coverd with brown sugar carmelized raisins and bread pudding. It all comes together to form a scent alongside the alcohol.

Taste is huge and bready with a red raspberry center then alcohol then raspberry again to finish it all off, but the alcohol is hidden in there somewhere. The carmel flavor holds on for quite a while. At 13.5 the alcohol really doesn't stand out all that much.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than I would expect from the taste and the smell, smooth but still on the medium side. The carbination seemed just about right.

Drinkability is easy to define, good. I am somewhat impressed with the hiding of the alcohol.

Note: This beer was 12.59 for 6.3 oz. I liked it ok, but at that price sadly, I won't be having another.

(6.3 oz bottle, 2004 vintage – drank in January 2006) – Poured a hazy deep red/brown beer with a rather large dark foamy head with great retention. Aroma of raspberry chocolate cake is quite evident with some port-like alcohol sensation. Taste is less sweet then expected as well as raspberry, which I had expected to be more dominant. Instead there is strong chocolate and caramel malt with a semi-sweet ending. Did not fit my expectation but is still very good nonetheless. I would now be very curious to try the raspberry-free eisbock.

Thanks to BigDaddyWil for getting me this one:

Wow…. I mean…. Wow!!

This beer is mind-blowingly fantastic. Lives up to, and then exceeds the hype. I was all set to write an extensive review but I’m enjoying this one way too much divide my attention for too long, so here goes nothing:

Pours a deep copper/mahogany with a moderate head and very little lace (precisly what’s to be expected from an eisbock). From the nose to the palate there are very rich and very clean raspberry and chocolate flavors (sweet chocolate, mind you, not the bitter unsweetened kind you normally encounter in beer, though that’s in there too). The mouthfeel is silky and fairly full with a light carbonation tang. The alcohol is hidden so well that this 13% ABV brew is more drinkable than many of the 8% or 9% ABV beers that I’ve had. It is so incredibly delicious that the 6.3oz serving is gone in no time!!

This is probably the best beer I have ever had, it’s certainly the only one I’ve ever given all 5’s! Highly, highly recommended!!!

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

Wow, this is definately a beer that lives up to hype. Attractively packaged in a 6.3 oz bottle, 2004 Vintage, I like the wax. Pours a thick brown/red, orange edges, medium off white head forms, goes pretty fast but leaves a ring around the glass, some spots of lace. Smell is raspberries, toasted bread, chocolate, tons of caramel/toffee, amazing smell. Taste is sweet/then tart raspberries up front, toast, chocolate roast/chocolate cake middle and finish, smooth caramel and toffee aftertaste, with some dates and figs, little bit of vinous character. Mouthfeel is full bodied with low carbonation, some nice alcohol warmth, although the 13.5% is no where to be found, alcohol is disguised as well as any other beer I've had. Superb beer, definately seek out. Thanks for the find DrJay!!

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Gladly split this bottle from 2004 with Irishagain.

This is one phenomonal beer. Even calling this concoction beer seems odd to me, it seemed like so much more than a beer.

The smell was out of this world, raspberries and chocolate as was the taste. I can not come close to doing justice to this beer. I'll just say it was well worth the hype and end it with that.

If you can get your hands on a bottle do whatever you have to get it.

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%

Split a bottle of this with slander and schoolteacher at Spuyten Duyvil. Yes, we each had a serving the size of a brandy pour, which is appropriate for this beer. Didn't take notes, but didn't need to. Taste it once, and you remember it forever. Glowing deep red, no head... OK maybe a little head. Smells like a fresh raspberry harvest, as if you were stomping around in a vat of raspberries and the aroma were permeating your senses. Tastes like a red velvet raspberry cake with chocolate truffles, or perhaps like one of those Jacques Torres chocolates filled with raspberry puree. In fact, put this inside of chocolates, and they'd sell like hotcakes, I bet. I found the taste to be a bit too much like a raspberry cordial, and not enough like a beer, but unique nonetheless. The mouthfeel is quite remarkable -- "pillowy" is the first word that came to mind. Just so soft in the mouth, almost makes you think you're eating a piece of cake. An after-dinner sipper to be sure, not drinkable by any means. If you had any more than the small bottle of this at a sitting, I predict a big headache for you. I would love to be able to revisit this one in, say, about 10 years.

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

What are they trying to accomplish? I have had chocolate and either raspberry or strawberry filling..in fruit wine and liquors naturally or more than naturally sweet. That's dessert. Yes in this beer there is distinct flavours from the eisbock, the chocolate, the tart raspberry. Yes, very much like an American filled chocolate. To me, this is a fruit beer. I have had good beers with chocolate. I have had Unibroue and other fruit beers. This one had the memory of tart raspberry on my palate hours later. Thanks Jay.
Had an unusual low carbonation at the brewery 6 months later. It was fruit wine/wine tasting, tart but not mouth puckering.

3.6/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from tiny bottle dated 2004. Bought directly from the brewery in Warren, MI.

Color is deep burgandy, almost no head on top. Smells like raspberry mostly.

Taste is hard to describe. The raspberry juice flavor is there, but the background beer taste is difficult... I didn't like it all that much. But my wife loved it so it's hard to rate. Tasted like raspberry and dark chocolate with some alcohol mixed in. Some malt flavor but no hops.

Try it once if you must. I only tried it because it was so highly rated on BA.

2.87/5  rDev -34.5%

Green bottle dipped in red wax. Label states vintage 2004
Served into a flute glass.

Much anticipated brew after reading the many high praises this eisbock has received. Fortunately, its readily available living here in Michigan.

Appearance: Awesome deep maroon color, reminds me of a red wine. Not much carbonation, with no head or lacing. A slight oily texture, most likely due to the high alcohol content.

Smell: WOW!!! Very different, very strong combination of rasberries,cherries, and dark chocolate. Alcohol is completely hidden in the smell.

Taste: O.K., this is not my type of brew. Strong taste of dark chocolate, combined with fruits and berries. It reminded me of bad tasting chocolate covered cherries.

Mouthfeel: Silky smooth feel, no alcohol burn, very easy too drink.

Drinkability:Alcohol is completety hidden and is easy too drink. Very smooth. A great sipper!!!

I must admit I was disappointed with this eisbock, its just not my thing. I will try again at a later date, maybe it will hit me different. But at $8.33 for 6.3oz. its hard for me to purchase this again.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

What a huge thanks to Northertimber for the opportunity to try this one. This is my RedRider BB gun if you know what I mean...
Gorgeous caramel color and an apparent fullness to the body in this. Initially there is a burst of brownish head that flashes then falls away like fireworks. Even before pouring there is this chocolate/vanilla/raspberry all macerated in brandy aroma that involuntarily lifts the corners of your mouth in anticipation. The flavor starts very alcohol with huge chocolate covered cherry sweetness. There's raspberry cordials dripping in sweet brandy, what a treat. The body is superb... not syrupy like the rest of the beers composition would lead you to believe, it's actually full and lush and goes down velvety but finishes so clean.
I initially felt like the size of the bottle was a bit of a marketing rip-off but I realize that, for me anyways, this was perfect to thoroughly enjoy without biting off more than I could chew. I will truly be seeking this out for the holidays every year from here out.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Green 187 ml wax dipped bottle, vintage 2004.

Deep tawny coloured brown. Thin off white head barely forms and imediately sinks into nothing.

Smells like some sort of crazy tart raspberry brandy.

Flavours cocoa, and sweet toffee candy. Big raspberries (you'd swear there were berries in the glass). Enough malty flavours to hold it together. Incredibly balanced, viscous, with gentle carbonation. Sweet finish, but not cloying. Nothing is subtle, but the whole thing holds itself together nicely, and has a great deal of character.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

6.3 Oz bottle Sampled through the efforts of SS 05 BIF and Meathookjones.

2004 vintage.

Pours a hazy thick reddish brown beer.

Smell is very sweet chocolate and caramel and raspberries. Spicy scents of vanilla, black pepper, truffles and cherry on the alcohol fumes. Smells like expensive chocolates.

Taste is lots of raspberries and chocolate with a little tartness from the berries. Super richness here I almost feel like I could eat this as a pudding. I am forced into small sips to savor the flavor of this. Long lasting raspberry flavor that takes a good 5 minutes to die off. The flavor is all chocolate and raspberries here.

Mouthfeel is pudding thick.

Crazy drinkable beer that was the PERFECT beer for Christmas!

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to BA ThomasHardy for the sample.

Cute little 6.3 oz wax topped green bottle with the vintage date of 2004 on it.

A- Thin fizzy off-white head, never really expect much here being a higher alcohol brew. I carefully decanted this beer to leave the sediment behind, this leaves a hazy brownish garnet hue brew in the glass.

S- Big fruity tartness in the nose, suggestions of faint raspberry brandy come to mind with a deep and complex maltiness underneath.

T&M- So smooth, amazingly smooth and very creamy in the back-end. Thick malty body with layers of sweet and toasted maltiness within. The raspberry character add complex levels of tartness and sweetness that meld perfectly with a strong alcohol.

D- Oh Mama ... I could sip this all night long. Sadly I only had 6.3 oz. :-(

6.3oz. green glass bottle, dated 2004. Consumed at room temperature. Pours a beautiful deep garnet red, almost black with a fine, off-white head with minimal lacing.

The nose is pure sweetness. Raspberries, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate with the merest suggestion of alcohol. I found myself smelling the glass long after the beer was gone.The taste is even more amazing. A burst of ripe raspberries progresses to bitter-sweet chocolate truffle in a smooth, fluid transition. Vaguely spiced in the finish; earthy, anise. The flavor just lingers softly in your mouth, waiting for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Syrupy, but not sticky, more silky. Wonderful. Drinkability is perfect. A sipper, but only a drying hint of alcohol. Smooth enough to finish in one gulp.

It doesn’t get any better than this. Bottled perfection. Was very tempted to open my second bottle right after enjoying the first.

4.81/5  rDev +9.8%

From my notes taken on 6/23/05...

Well, tonight is my Birthday. As I sit here, 1 year closer to death, what better way to drown my sorrows than in a glass of this fine beer. Big thanks to eyedrinkale for this one!

Poured a hazy brownish-red color with a very small sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate covered raspberries, tart cherries, and other dark fruits. Tastes of tart raspberries, chocolate, caramel, and light alcohol (but no where near the 18%). Very easy to drink. Amazing. I had this one after dinner and what a perfect after dinner/desert beer.

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

Purchased for $8.33 for 2004 vintage in a 6.3 oz bottle. Pours out caramel in color and consistency almost like a thin syrup. Aroma is of cocoa and raspberry reminding me of a raspberry tootsie pop. Head dissipates rather quickly. Elements of chocolate and a sweet with slight tartiness of raspberry. Reminds me of a candy. Aftertaste remains on tongue for a long time afterwards. A slight bitterness and warming alcohol presence on the tongue. Many interesting flavors going back and forth. Not too thick in mouthfeel, light on the tongue. This has stood up fairly well after sitting on a store shelf for a while. I think a little bit is just right. As I drink more the fruitness and raspberry flavors come out a little more than the chocolate.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

6.3 oz bottle. 2004 Vintage.
Figured it'd be a good one to try for review #200.

Pours darker than I expected...deep garnet color. Leaves a shadowy head skimming over the top of the brew. Aroma and taste are complex..the two main flavors are rich chocolate and berries (raspberry, one would assume), but I definitely think I tasted some mulberry and blackberry as well. Unlike the (in)famous Sam Adams Triple Bock (and similar high alcohol brews) I could have drank this entire bottle in a few seconds...it's that easy to drink, and that damn good.

It was enjoyed tremendously at room temp...I really don't think this beer would taste bad ice cold, or if it sat out in the sun for 2 days. It's just an incredible tasting and well-crafted brew in all aspects. Not too tart, not too sweet, just...yeah. The bottle was gone way, way too soon. I'm positive I could drink a 500ml bottle myself, it's got tremendous drinkability for such a big beer. Maybe someday I'll get my hands on one of those beauties. I was not expecting a beer this experimental to be this good...but it had no problem living up to my expectations.

Thanks to walleye for giving me the chance to try this amazing, unique brew.

4.74/5  rDev +8.2%

Big cheers to Kev for sharing this one with Chris and I (even though it was a small bottle). 6.3oz. bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a deep ruby red color with just the slightest bit of bubbles. Absolutely no lacing. The smell is fantastic. A beautiful blend of honey, raspberries, and alcohol. The just meld together, you don't know where one ends and the other begins. Very intoxicating. The taste is insane. Lots of fresh raspberries coming out at me. A bit of sugary sweetness and some slight alcohol warming. Slightly spicy too, with just a little bit of ginger. The mouthfeel is incredibly thick and strong, just smothering my tongue. The drinkability is deadly for a 13.5% brew. A really awesome beer, and I can't believe Kev let me have a nice share of this bottle, cheers to him!

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

This one pours a dark red color with no head and no carbonation. The aroma is wonderful. Sweet smell. Actually, it smells exactly like sweet candy. Incredible. The flavor is much the same, but it's alcoholic fruity candy. It has a slight sting from the alcohol, but this stuff is damn tasty - strickly candy-like. The mouthfeel is pretty thick, actually and the drinkability is wonderful for the level of alcohol. Just candy.

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

6.3oz. 2004 bottle: There was a faint "pffft" when I popped the cap. This one poured out a cloudy slightly reddish-brown color. The head was about non-existent. The aroma is interesting. Definite notes of raspberry, but also a sourness to it. Also notes of a rich maltiness and some oakiness. It also reminds me somwwhat of a port. The raspberries are a big part of the taste, but not overpowering. There is an initial mild sweetness, that is followed by somewhat sour aftertaste. There is also a bit of a thickness and silkiness to the palate. The are also flavors of caramel and toffee in the mix. Absolutely no taste of alcohol, which is suprising given the 18% ABV. This is extremely nice.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Deep brownish prune, limited off-white head still impresses for 18%. Huge rooty nose, explosive green character, like the branches of a raspberry in its woodiness. Funky yeast notes emanate in the form of an hairspray concentrate. Welcoming chocolate and vegetal tones wouldn’t fit together in any other beer, but the acid character, the woody nature and the truffle richness appear like they all came from the same tree. Plenty of raspberries underlying flavors, but the alcohol is the big loser, nowhere to be seen which is most impressive. Slight oiliness on the palate, medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Strong presence in mouth, less fruity, possibly less acid than expected, a nice acetic backbone remains subtle, woody, though you have the impression that the tartness grows from sip to sip. If a dessert beer exists, you have one here, full on truffles and not too sweet at that. Worth seeking big time.

4.02/5  rDev -8.2%

6.3oz 2004 bottle, Sampled September 2005
Pours with the faintest trace of carbonation that creates a very small ring of fine bubbles that bubble up from the etched marking at the bottom of my Duvel tulip. The beer is a hazy amber-red color that shows a thin wispy tan head when roused. The aroma is thick with raspberries, but there is a rich malty note to it that stops it from becoming pure raspberry. As I go in for a deeper smell of the aroma the rich maltiness of this beer becomes much more apparent. My nose has become used to the raspberry note and I now get rich concentrated notes of caramel, toffee, and a toasty maltiness underneath the dominant raspberry note. Actually the more I think about it the more it seems to smell like a raspberry flavored chocolate malt ball.

The beer is quite thick on the palate, yet it is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting. There is some sweetness here but it is malty sweet as opposed to the typical sugary sweetness that I was expecting. The thing that really lingers on the palate after the beer has been swallowed is the rich concentrated maltiness; notes of toffee and toasted biscuits. Because of the relative dryness of this beer, the raspberry flavor is not allowed to dominate as much as it could. The raspberry is certainly noticeable, but it is not too overwhelming. Actually after my first sip of this I was sorely disappointed the flavors just seemed to clash, and were quite jarring. It got better with subsequent sips though. The maltiness, as in the aroma, really reminds me of chocolate malt balls, definitely interesting.

Despite my first impression, I am definitely enjoying this beer. It is not cloying, like the New Glarus beers, and the raspberry notes are not overwhelming. In fact they are in a good balance with the rest of the beer. All of the flavors are concentrated and over-the-top, but none of them are out of whack with the rest of the beer.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Red waxed 6.3 oz from an '04 vintage, poured into a snifter.

DEEP reddish brown with a small head that doesn't last long and leaves a thinly veiled ring. Thins rings of lace are left as it goes down.

Tons of real raspberries and chocolate make up the nose. Perfect balance between the sweet berries and an almost roasty dark chocolate.

Tastes a lot like the nose promises, raspberry and chocolate abound. Slight vinous character creeps in after the berry and chocolate notes, then its back to the raspberry filled chocolate candy. Not the cheap kind you find in a Whitman's Sampler, but the kind that are hand made at an independant chocolate shop that uses an old family recipe.

I'm suprised this lacks any syrup in the mouth. The best description I can give is a really good Old Ale, like Fourth Dimentia, but a bit more concentrated. I can taste the sugars without feeling them stick to my tongue. Very drinkable as the abv doesn't register, and the flavors are flawless.

While it pushes the definition of beer, its damn tasty and makes for an excellent after dinner drink.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company