Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,257
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,038 | Reviews: 442
3.35/5  rDev -23.7%

2007 vintage, served in a tapered tasting glass.
This is the 2nd bottle of this i've tried, had this vintage before a couple years ago. My opinion of this beer hasn't changed, the experience was virtually the same as the first time.

Pours a murky brown, viscous body, some stray trails of carbonation struggle to reach the surface around the edges. Little to no foam, though a string of bubbles cling to one side when first poured that quickly fade due to the high alcohol.

Smells tooth-meltingly sweet, like liquid candy. Mellow raspberry and tootsie rolls. Some light oxidation, and vague muddled notes of toffee or orange at room temperature.

Raspberry tootsie pop flavor, fairly one-dimensional. Once you taste it, that's all you can taste. No complexity or nuance. Candy sweet, syrupy, rich. Low carbonation, cordial-like. So sweet you almost don't notice the booze. Honestly i'd drink straight Chambord over this, it's basically the same thing minus the tootsie roll flavor.

Thanks to Eric for sharing this one!

3.39/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Served in a tumbler.

It's taken a while, but I;m finally getting a crack at this beast. It pours a mostly clear ruby topped by a half-finger at most of off-white foam. The nose comprises deep raspberry jam, a twinge of what seems like vanilla bean in the background, and a slight sense of vinyl. The taste brings in more of the same, with the raspberries shining, some mild booze creeping in, and the vinyl coming through as a stronger pall of plastic. This plastic-ness doesn't fade. The body is a light hefty, with a relatively light carbonation and a thickly fluid feel. Overall, a nice enough fruited eisbock, but that plastic character is in no way endearing and kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth (in both manners).

4.25/5  rDev -3.2%

4.44/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2004 release, acquired via trade from nothertimber, so a big “thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 6.3oz bottle into a flute glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color, with almost no head and even less lacing.

S: Strong aroma of raspberry, with a background of dark chocolate & caramel. There’s some alcohol detected as well, that’s to be expected with a beer with this high of an ABV.

T: Sweet raspberry & chocolate flavor coats your mouth as you drink it. Out of habit I started out taking larger sips, but then I realized that taking smaller sips seemed to bring out the flavor much more. There’s a mild alcohol warmth, but not as strong as the smell leads you to believe, nor does it seem like it’s even close to the 13.50% ABV. The raspberry sweetness sticks around in a faint after-taste.

M: Extremely smooth and viscous, very low carbonation, medium-to-heavy body, finish is only slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, not very filling and fact that the ABV is expertly disguised makes this beer dangerously drinkable. It’s a sipper, but I sipped it very quickly.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to BA ThomasHardy for the sample.

Cute little 6.3 oz wax topped green bottle with the vintage date of 2004 on it.

A- Thin fizzy off-white head, never really expect much here being a higher alcohol brew. I carefully decanted this beer to leave the sediment behind, this leaves a hazy brownish garnet hue brew in the glass.

S- Big fruity tartness in the nose, suggestions of faint raspberry brandy come to mind with a deep and complex maltiness underneath.

T&M- So smooth, amazingly smooth and very creamy in the back-end. Thick malty body with layers of sweet and toasted maltiness within. The raspberry character add complex levels of tartness and sweetness that meld perfectly with a strong alcohol.

D- Oh Mama ... I could sip this all night long. Sadly I only had 6.3 oz. :-(

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

First off, I can understand why this comes in 6.5 ounce bottles. Second off, wow.

Pours a ruby tint with absolutely no head. Nose is total raspberry funk with what seems like almost a plastic type of character to it. Flavor is strong raspberry with thick malts. I never really felt that alcohol was present flavor wise. Feel is a bit thicker on liquid and low on carbonation. I also get a slight gritty kind of edge. Not so much that it ruins the experience, but enough to notice. I kind of take it like it is one step below being too much. If it was pushed any further, it wouldn't work. But overall, it does work since it is so damn unique. I have to say that two ounces of this would probably be good enough for me unless I had a long while to really dwell on the bottle or in this case what was served to me off the tap.

4.36/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Drewone for sharing this 2012 bottle last weekend.

A: Pours a clear crimson. Still with no notable carbonation.

N: Pure raspberry syrup. I love that there is a "p" in raspberry. Very perfumy with concentrated fruity essence.

T: Juicy raspberry fruit, sweetish malts, boozy in a liquor way. A true dessert sipper if there ever was one.

M: Full body with zero carbonation. Sweet and fruity with that big time ABV finish.

O: This was certainly a special treat. Glad to have tried it. Glad I didn't have to trade for it.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

One of those special beers that somehow eluded me for years. Big thanks to rudzud for finally getting one and sharing it with me. 2012 vintage.

No real head, thick syrupy pour, long legs, semi clear for how dark it is, mahogany chestnut dark thick color faint dark ruby light.

Nose brings tons of syrupy bock, and syrupy raspberry, toffee, caramel, candy syrup, sweet raspberry marmalade, so much raspberry puree, super dark choc too, heavy truffle like dark choc with raspberry filling, no booze, raspberry rock candy crystals,

Taste is amazing, full of jammy raspberry, flesh and raspberry jam, etc, with great powdered cocoa and dark choc dust. Very sweet, syrupy candy, raspberry truffle filling and dark choc outside. Little tannic seed stem but the real raspberry seed in there. Rich velvety raspberry and choc, like a black forest cake with raspberry, bakers choc cake. Finish is sticky syrupy but not messy, very little warming booze, sticky finish.

Mouth is thick and velvety, very little carb but very little booze too.

Overall, I had very high expectations for this, and it even surpassed them. Amazing beer. Only qualm is the lack of the bock and malts on the flavor.

4.56/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to googzoid10 for letting me try one I've been wanting for a while!

Mine is 11.9% ABV from 07

Pours a very still chestnut with minimal head & an oily sheen. Not much lacing or head retention

S: Raspberries & oaky notes

T: Raspberries, chocolate, leafy hops a kiss of booze up front. Dark fruit mixes in as this warms, plus a touch of dryness, plus more raspberry & chocolate. Finishes dry, tart & very truffle-like, also with figs & port notes

MF: Chewy, very dry with minimal carbonation & very warming

Great drinkability, it's complexity draws you in & the ABV is barely noticeable. Over-priced at a $1.60 an ounce perhaps, but a bloody marvelous indulgence! Better than my overall score, but I have set standards on appearance (although I think 20% is too much weight)...

4.39/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks a bunch to Zack for sharing this one! I've been wanting to try this, but just never (until now)had the opportunity.

2012 vintage (I think?)

Thick, dark pour, black cherry color, minimal head (though a slight ringlet briefly retained), alcohol legs on the glass as opposed to lacing. Aroma was thick with raspberry and chocolaty malts, molasses, raw cake batter, some brandy-like booze heat, distant and non-offensive phenols. Nice lush flavor, raspberry jam with traces of tartness, Tootsie Rolls, caramel, dark malts, but little to no roast in there--it's just too sweet for that--somewhat earthy with a very subtle bitterness coming out as the beer warmed, brandy/cordial/[minor solventy] booziness not held back, although for only being a year old, I didn't find this hot at all. Felt in the head more than on the palate, I guess would be one way of describing it. Mouthfeel was smooth, body was full, sweet, but I wouldn't call it cloying at all. Very nice melding of flavors between the raspberry and thick/distilled malts.

I don't think I'd pay top dollar or trade away whalezbro to obtain this beer, but it was definitely a nice experience, and I hope to come across it again sometime.

4.49/5  rDev +2.3%

Review #200. Figured I'd dip into the cellar and pull out a 2004 vintage of KRE. Served in a flute.

A - Wow - I actually got some foam; maybe a eight of an inch of tan head that stuck around for about thirty seconds and left no lacing. Lots of visible carbonation on the sides of the glass, with little bubbles making their way to the top. Murky raisin brown color with some obvious suspended solids - it doesn't scream raspberry in the same way that Raspberry Tart does. All things aside though, it looks pretty good for a 13.5% brew - I wasn't expecting a lot.

S - Raspberry purée and cheesecake, dark chocolate, caramel, candied fruit, port, vanilla, a slight oakiness, and a hint of the high ABV. The smell is huge, even when chilled. It's incredibly delicious!

T - The taste has more tartness and is a little more restrained compared to the overwhelming sweetness in the nose. As you'd expect, tons of raspberry, substantial amounts of molasses, brown sugar, milk chocolate, and maybe a hint of tobacco as well. Again, the alcohol is ridiculously well hidden.

M - This bottle I opened had surprising carbonation to it - especially compared to how I remember it on-tap. I actually like the tingle though, as it complements the tangy flavor raspberries. The body is medium, but incredibly sticky. I shudder to think how much sugar is in this, and how ridiculous the caloric content per oz is - it's probably up there with the most decadent desserts. It's maybe a little lighter than I'd like for such a high ABV beer, but otherwise it's quite appropriate. Nice warming sensation after a while as well.

D - Kudos to the brewery for selling this in 6.3oz bottles - the sweetness and high ABV would defeat me if the serving size was significantly larger. Tremendously ideal for a dessert replacement/complement, or for a celebration, but not so much for sessions.

I'm really glad my 2004 bottle was still good, especially considering the hit & miss nature of Kuhnhenn bottling (and some of the other reviews of the '04 vintage posted here).
I didn't sense a huge difference between this and the '07 (although I didn't directly A-B them).

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Lovely 500 ml bottle shared with mentor, who provided, bless his heart.

Beautiful cocoa head, deep magenta hue, edging on brown...looks like a bockish brown, but shows crimson aspects, as well.

Vast aromatics...cream & cognac....angelic...sweetness, light and lively, matched with the power of booze. Raspberry flavor is shy at first, but peeks out eventually (in aroma and taste)...
...which is where we're going next...tastes like brandy at first, until raspberry slips through, under the coat of çognac...and the result is utterly unheard of ...a graceful, powerful thing, some nuts, chocolate charge the palate elegantly...a sublime sipper and a rich elixir, all at once.
After further examination, "absolutely gorgeous" is good as I can get, for now...uncanny, this balance, this magnificent marriage, and this perfect play of flavors, that harmonizes to create a gentle blend that delivers a rare, unheard-of experience in the flavor, and all throught the experience.
Fantastic balance: never too strong, too dark, too rich, just right...slick, yet graceful, not sickly, not treacly, somehow just the perfect match of a strong dark lager and the raspberry flavor, with enchanting yeast...a magical match of cookie + fruit + liquor.
There's a slight bite, a bit of hops, then all is mellow, you never really feel the 13%, it's a sly, subtle sophisticated combination.
Full-bodied, yet not fulsome, and wholly memorable. Unique among beers, this has a flavor and a transcendent effect not felt in many other beers.
They did their work well at Kuhnhenn, and crafted a masterpiece...a $30 bottle masterpiece, though? Ehhh???
Definitely a special occasion beer, and after-dinner dessert brew, only for revelling and toasting, something to mellow the mood and usher in an unheard of feeling among all in company...not an any-old-day beer, by any means.

3.89/5  rDev -11.4%

Had both the 2004 and 2007 vintages at a recent tasting. Thanks everyone, this was a long time curiosity for me. I feel as thought I had built it up in my mind a bit too much and was slightly let down. Eisbocks (bocks in general) are one of the styles I study a lot. This was an interesting example.

2004 - Beer was brown and clear with no carbonation, no head, no lacing. The aroma was strong full of malt and caramel. Definitely smell the raspberries and some chocolate? Wasn't expecting the chocolate smell. Lots of sweetness up front, raspberries come in late in the palate and are generally weak. Mostly a tart flavor from the raspberries. There is a lot of chocolate flavors in the midpalate regions. I find this flavor to be distracting and unnecessary. I find myself wishing that it was the malt and the berries without the chocolate. I know that the chocolate and the raspberry flavors pair well with food, but to stand the tart raspberry flavor next to the malt sweetness would have been great in my opinion.

2007 - Looks the same as the 2004, no head, no carbonation. The aroma is considerably stronger. Much more raspberries and the chocolate is still there. The flavor pops with a lot more raspberries. This is definitely my favorite out of the two. The sweetness from the malt is still there, the chocolate is less the star in this one. This beer is also thicker (it seems) than the 2004.

Overall, I'm glad I got to try them both. I'm not sure if I would seek it out again though.

4.59/5  rDev +4.6%

From 02/06/11 notes. Enjoyed this one right before the Superbowl. Poured from a 187ml bottle into a small tulip. Got in a trade with wunderbeer; thanks Ron, big want! 2007 vintage.

a - Pours a murky reddish brown color with an inch of off white head and moderate to high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of raspberries, chocolate, caramel malts, sweet dark fruits, and roasted malts. Not tart at all, but sweet smelling. Smells absolutely amazing.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, chocolate, raspberries, dark fruits, sweet sugar. Really enjoyable.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink. Scary drinnkable considering the high ABV.

d - I thought this was an amazing beer. I loved the smell and thought this was insanely drinkable considering the high ABV. I loved the raspberry/caramel/chocolate combo in the smell and taste. Would love to get another bottle of this one.

3.75/5  rDev -14.6%

3.95/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

BOTTLE: Brown glass. Maroon wax hides the pry-off pressure cap. 12.7 fl oz.

Acquired: Via trade. Thanks to Soonerchamps for the bottle!

Reviewed live at low altitude in Austin, TX.

Vintage: 2012.
ABV: 15.5%.
Style: Fruited Eisbock.
Serving temp: Cold. Allowed to warm over the course of consumption.
Serving vessel: Goblet.
Expectations: Sky-high. This is currently #190 on the Top 250 beer list, and #31 on the Top 100 Great Lakes list. It's also the #1 Eisbock if you ignore beers with 4 or less ratings.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: Even with an invigorated pour, no real head emerged - just a thin white floater cap that disappeared completely within 20 seconds, leaving no lacing.

BODY: Deep dark opaque amber/ruby. No yeast or hop sediment is visible.

Appears undercarbonated. It's generally appealing for the style. At 15.5%, I can excuse the lack of head.

AROMA: Sweet yet tart raspberry lends the most appealing note to this aroma, with subtle chocolate notes and sweet dark malts filling it out nicely. It's appealing jammy and jelly-like, with a sort of pie filling note where the fruit comes in. Maybe I'm crazy, but I also pick up on dark cherry notes and tootsie roll. It's not real sour. The cleanliness of the aroma is odd, with no ale esters in there; lager yeast is indicated. Hints of dessert wine (port, mainly) and sweet dark fruit like figs, grapes, and dates emerge as it warms. Fruitcake does come to mind.

It's an arresting, unique aroma, and has my mouth watering. Shockingly, I don't detect any booze or alcohol.

Aromatic intensity: moderate. Not the strong booze bomb I was expecting, but it's absolutely on the sweeter side.

TASTE: Decadent rich black cherry duels with slightly tart raspberry for dominance, and the only victor is the drinker. These fruits are nicely accentuated by a rich dark chocolate character and some tootsie roll characteristics (including a distinct nuanced caramel unlike anything I've come across in a beer afore). Rich dessert wine (definitely port), hints of fruit liqueur, and faint fruitcake notes emerge more and more as it comes to temperature. Nicely jammy, evoking a breakfast pastry filling. Some might even find it redolent of pop tarts or raspberry truffle. Liqueur-filled chocolates also come to mind. Maybe brandy?

It's got a great amber malt backbone which feels more English in character than anything else. There's ample malty sweetness, and I quite like that aspect of the brew. I haven't smoked tobacco before, but I feel comfortable noting a tobacco note here - based on my experience with its aroma alone.

I'm not finding any oak or bourbon notes. It's certainly not yeasty either, and there's no off-character.

Depth of flavour: Nice.
Flavour duration: Above average.
Flavour intensity: Average.
Flavour amplitude: Good.

It's definitely balanced, and the alcohol warmth in the stomach is a nice feature rather than a burden. It's a well built eisbock, no doubt, and the fruit juice is incorporated very well. There's more complexity here than in most eisbocks or doppelbocks, but I can definitely envision an even more intricate example of the style. There's ample cohesion here, and it's almost gestalt. Absolutely a dessert brew but not cloyingly sweet; I'll finish this bottle alone.

The booze-soaked fruit and the liqueur notes are divine, and really stand out. The dark cherry actually eclipses the raspberry.

Constructively, the raspberry and cherry - great as they are - could be more expressive, with a higher depth of flavour. More tart and woody notes would be ideal.

TEXTURE: Plump, viscous, and sticky (like taffy), without ever coming off too syrupy or heavy on the palate - which is shocking at this high an ABV. Smooth and wet. How is it this mellow on the palate? There's no booze or alcohol heat. Definitely full-bodied and thick, but not overbearing. It's heavy and has plenty of heft (to style).

Not oily, gushed, astringent, harsh, rough, or scratchy.

There's great presence on the palate, the carbonation is near perfect (i.e. it's light, lending itself naturally to the liqueur like creaminess), and the sticky thick feel does accentuate the fruits...but I don't know that this elevates the beer per se.

OVERALL: Not the heavy syrupy boozy sipper I expected. It disguises its 15.5% ABV quite well. This is a solid dessert beer, and I'll enjoy finishing it. Would develop with age, definitely. Of the very few beers produced in this style worldwide, this definitely deserves to be in the conversation about the best one. Rminds me of Sam Adams Utopias in its liqueur-evocative luxurious taste. This only improves as it comes to temperature. The discerning drinker will love this beer.

This could easily be the best Eisbock in the world at present, but I can imagine it better. In any case, this is incredible stuff, and I see why it has its esteemed reputation. Worth trading for, by all means.

High B+ (3.95)

Serve w/ liqueur chocolates, plum, raisin, and fig.

4.67/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this little 187 ml bottle.

2007 vintage. The beer pours a hazy brown color with a few bubbles but not real head. The aroma is a mix of brown sugar, chocolate, caramel, maple, alcohol and a little bit of raspberry. The flavor is different, with a ton of fruit and chocolate. This beer tastes like chocolate dipped raspberries. There is also some alcohol in the flavor. The beer is very sweet. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. Wow, what a beer. So glad I got to try it.

4.5/5  rDev +2.5%

4.29/5  rDev -2.3%

Big thanks to FooFaa for bringing this one to Ffej of July IX. If I had to guess I think it was an 07

A - Pours brownish red with a small half finger tall white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of chocolate covered raspberries with a few helping hints of toffee, vanilla, oak, and some warm booze. This one has a lot going on.

T - Starts off with an intense raspberry puree flavor quickly giving way to a mix of sweet chocolate, vanilla, dry oak tannins, and some warming booze. It is quite sweet but the other flavors help to keep in check as much as they can. The finish is a mix of sweetness and light booze, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Slick, smooth, feel with a good amount of booze still present.

O - This one is definitely a sipper but it is a very good one. It has so much flavor going on. It is a perfect desert beer, but that is truly its only fault, I doubt this would taste as good as it does paired with a big juicy steak. Glad I finally got to try it again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company