Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,202
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
weonfire

12-23-2013 04:04:01 | More by weonfire
MrVonzipper

04-01-2013 22:07:15 | More by MrVonzipper
afksports

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Kristina Yamaguchi is wearing a red velvet dress and ice skating on my tongue. She's got a rocket pack in her back that's shooting out rasberry purée and hot lava. I'm not quite sure what else to say. This beer is exceptional.

Built like an eisbock to carry you through the winter, but with raspberries to cut through a garden fence, it's likedrinking a smoothie with rum. I'm in love and I'm not. It's huge. Huge huge. Thick mouthfeel, viscous and sugary. This 2007 vintage is brilliant out the tap all the way to the bottom. Deep red velvet, hardly any head, bodacious smell, taste that's tart and sweet and finishes with alcohol and malt. Heat for winter, fruit for summer, perfect for spring.

04-27-2011 22:20:40 | More by afksports
jarrgal

North Dakota

10-18-2013 20:14:15 | More by jarrgal
andrewinski1

New Hampshire

3.93/5  rDev -10.5%

Huge thanks to Bendurgin for sharing this one. Bottle says 2007. Poured into a chalice. Nice dark amber, color. The edges of the beer are kind of pomegranate colored. Very little head eventually disappears completely.

Nice sweet raspberry smell. I'm thinking raspberry jam on this one.

Raspberries dominate the flavor. A dry raspberry flavor starts. There is a bit of sweetness on the middle, and a hint of berry tartness in the finish, accompanied by the distinct presence of graham cracker. Like a cheesecake.

Nice mouthfeel with very soft carbonation. This is a sipper for certain. Very glad to have tried this.

11-15-2010 04:38:26 | More by andrewinski1
MiScusi

1.5/5  rDev -65.8%

2007 vintage.

I certainly never wanted to contribute the lowest score to this beer. It pains me that I have to, since I had such high expectations for it. But I have to be honest as well.

A- nothing wrong here, a dark red liquid, nothing special.

S- Definitely not what I expected here. I didn't necessarily think it would be ALL raspberry, but this smell just threw me for a loop. It was interesting yet weird. Smelt like some really deep caramel, chocolate, and fruit all mingling together into a really weird combo. It kept making me want to smell it actually, but I didn't really enjoy it.

T- This was perhaps the worst tasting beer I've ever had. If I didn't know it was a raspberry beer I might not have even picked it out in the flavor. I was expecting this to pack a raspberry punch at least on par, if not exceeding New Glarus' Raspberry Tart. Huge letdown here. But I know they were trying to go for a whole dessert sorta thing here with chocolate, caramel, and raspberry flavors. The taste was so weird and unusual that I can't even describe it. And I don't want to taste it anymore to try and describe it.

D- Couldn't even finish this. Drain pour for both me and my friend. Sad, because I've been wanting to try this for so long, seeing as how so many people like it, how could it be bad? Well I guess now this is the second lesson I've learned in that regard, the first being Dark Lord.

05-23-2008 06:33:52 | More by MiScusi
ColdPoncho

4.43/5  rDev +0.9%

A - pours a beautiful deep red/mahogany with minimal carbonation and low head.

S - it's a fantastic tart raspberry smell with sweet chocolate in the background.

T - Matches perfectly with nose. A mildly tart delicious raspberry with some very clear chocolate sweetness to balance it.

M - robust and full, a bit drying.

D - a delightful warming sensation. strong and tart. but you want to keep drinking it.

01-12-2011 04:16:53 | More by ColdPoncho

jsurfs82

04-20-2013 22:05:47 | More by jsurfs82
ypsifly

4.6/5  rDev +4.8%

Red waxed 6.3 oz from an '04 vintage, poured into a snifter.

DEEP reddish brown with a small head that doesn't last long and leaves a thinly veiled ring. Thins rings of lace are left as it goes down.

Tons of real raspberries and chocolate make up the nose. Perfect balance between the sweet berries and an almost roasty dark chocolate.

Tastes a lot like the nose promises, raspberry and chocolate abound. Slight vinous character creeps in after the berry and chocolate notes, then its back to the raspberry filled chocolate candy. Not the cheap kind you find in a Whitman's Sampler, but the kind that are hand made at an independant chocolate shop that uses an old family recipe.

I'm suprised this lacks any syrup in the mouth. The best description I can give is a really good Old Ale, like Fourth Dimentia, but a bit more concentrated. I can taste the sugars without feeling them stick to my tongue. Very drinkable as the abv doesn't register, and the flavors are flawless.

While it pushes the definition of beer, its damn tasty and makes for an excellent after dinner drink.

08-30-2005 04:27:00 | More by ypsifly

jeonseh

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%

2007 vintage poured into a Mikkeller wine glass

A - Dark, reddish brown with no head and slight carbonation. Reminds me of a darker sherry. Definitely looks more like a dessert wine than a beer

S - Raspberry liqueur, chocolate covered raspberries, and raspberry jam lead in the nose. Has a big, jammy scent of fresh raspberry that takes over. It even smells thick! The raspberries are definitely of the sweeter variety and not tart at all

T - Full of raspberry flavors with a slight hint of chocolate. It actually is a bit tart at first which I don't get in the nose. Definitely reminds me of biting into a juicy, fresh raspberry. It has hints of caramel and raspberry jam that give it a slight sweeter taste near the finish. Definitely one of the best raspberry and fruit beers out there

MF - Thick and viscous body that is nice and sticky. It has very light carbonation; just enough to cut through the beer and prevent it from being too thick.

O - This beer is one of the reasons why Kuhnheen is well loved. It has great raspberry flavor, a nice mouthfeel, and is a unique beer. I'm pleasantly surprised by how well this has held up as I don't notice any signs of oxidation. This is a beer that would go great with a chocolate dessert such as rich truffles or chocolate cake.

07-09-2012 03:25:39 | More by jeonseh
Rado

12-23-2013 18:16:20 | More by Rado
kevanb

3.8/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle, review from notes.

Pours a murky burgundy color, hues of brown, garnet and raspberry when struck by the light, no visible head and no visible lacing. The aroma is pungent fleshy raspberry, very fresh fruit, but a very harsh alcohol sweetness with some rich dark grain, caramel and toffee sugar notes, it's already too sweet for me, but the fresh berry is fantastic. The flavors are similar, massive fresh raspberry, which is delicious, is instantly overpowered by intense alcohol sweetness, caramel, brown sugar and a bit of vanilla. The body is super thick and syrupy, very sticky, finishes rather smoothly but with some harsh alcohol behind it.

Verdict: Can't say I am super impressed given the hype and ratings behind this beer, the fruit is wonderfully done, but the harsh alcohol and cloying qualities ruined it for me. Not sure what age will do to this beer, but I have a hard time believing that it will improve.

02-24-2013 03:55:04 | More by kevanb
Alextricity

4.53/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had this on-tap at the Kuhnhenn Brewery as part of a paddle.

Appearance: I was shocked to see a little, tiny ring of pink/purple head on this beer. I had seen a few reviews of this beer, and it looked just like a dark black/purple/red color and nothing else. The lowpoint of this beer, but it's also the part of the beer that matters least.

Smell: Flawless. This really smells like a urinal cake... in the BEST way possible. Maybe that won't do it for you. Alright. It smells like the raspberry that you whiff out of raspberry filled chocolates. This is just full of raspberries with maybe a hint of chocolate... whatever it is, this smells outstanding. Candle, please?

Taste: I noticed that some people called this syrupy thick. Overly sweet. Too much to handle. Really, I thought it was nearly perfect. This beer is most definitely a dessert beer (almost something you'd pour over a vanilla ice cream... actually, that sounds fantastic), but whatever you wanna call it, it's outstanding. Massive raspberry, but it's not so tart/sweet that it becomes cloying.. easy for me to say, considering I had about a 3oz sample of it. Honestly, I didn't find this to be medicinal at all... There's also slight chocolate note that gives this a needed extra dimension of flavor... yum. I also have to commend Kuhnhenn for the feel of this beer, as it's not super carbonated (so it doesn't drink like a pop... though I wouldn't expect that given the ABV), and it's not syrupy sweet (which I was afraid of after seeing reviews and the ABV). As for the alcohol in the flavor, I don't get it. All I get is a slight burn in my nasal cavity after I take a sip.

This is a damn expensive beer (About $15 for 6oz at the brewery), but you should include this as part of your sample paddle. This is something that any beer/wine/mead drinker would enjoy, I think.

06-29-2013 02:39:47 | More by Alextricity
seaoflament

4.38/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Jw347 for this tiny treat!

This is a 2007 vintage 187ml bottle. I put this one in the fridge for about 15-20min before opening it, it was in my closet/cellar prior to that.

Poured into my small 6oz or so snifter. The beer pours a beautiful sanguine color, dark violet with ruby edges. A very minimal amount of bubbles formed as I poured, then all was still.

The aroma is very fruity and bread-y. Immediately I detect some raspberry juice and other berries, fruity alcohol, and a hefty, doughy, bread like aroma. It literally smells like a berry flavored hard candy. All I can say is wow! There's also a subtle, very soft, aroma of chocolate, like a raspberry truffle. After a sip or two I can detect caramel in both the flavor and aroma.

The flavor! Oh my! I think I just wet my pants. Sweet raspberries upfront, the berry flavored hard candy is there as well, alcohol, caramel, chocolate, and a warming alcohol sensation as it passes through the palate. One of the best dessert beers I have ever had. Maybe a tad medicinal at one point but this is really good stuff.

At first it seems like it will be a bit syrupy, and it is a tad on the thick side, but the low level of carbonation makes it quite smooth. Drinks pretty easy but this is definitely a sipper and a dessert beer.

05-28-2008 05:19:58 | More by seaoflament
walleye

4.97/5  rDev +13.2%

RE-RATE 5/7/07 ON TAP FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY BUT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN 6.3 OZ BOTTLES THIS ONE WAS DIFFERANT THAN THE 1ST ABV IS NOW 18%. POURED A MUDDY BROWN WITH LITLE TO NO HEAD. AROMA RASPBERRIES AND WHERE DID THAT CHOCOLATE COME FROM MALTS, WITH HINTS OF ALCOHOL AND DARK FRUITS . FLAVOR SAME AS AROMA . THIS WAS NOT AS SYRUPY AS THE 1ST OR AS SWEET. I WASN'T GOING TO CHANGE MY RATING BUT AFTER SOME DEP THINKING I DECIDED TO CHANGE MY RATING THE PREV. RATING WAS ALL 4.5S THE BROTHERS PUT A LOT OF TIME AND EFFERT INTO MAKING THIS A QUAILTY BREW AND IT SHOWED THAT WHEN BRET CAME TO THE TABLE EXPLAIND THE PROCESS OF MAKING THIS GREAT BREW WITH THE RBS THAT WHERE AT THE TABLE WOW.Had this in may Poured dark brown with hints of ruby around the edges, no head with some lacing.aroma ,nice balance of raspberry,raisin molasses.flavor was like the best homemade raspberry preserves I have had got hints of molasses and citrus almost like a tangerine mouth feel was smooth and dry in a good way.This was a very good beer,it would be very good for a after dinner drink or even dessert. Did I say WOW

10-24-2004 02:13:17 | More by walleye

4.98/5  rDev +13.4%

375mL bottle into a Teku glass
2012 Vintage

350th Beer Advocate Review

A big thanks to Tee2grn for sending this one over in a trade. One of my very top wants for a couple years now.

A: Pours a deep, dark, ruby red with 1 fingers width of tan colored head which quickly dissipates down to nothing. Leaves zero lacing and just a hint of alcohol legs.

S: Just an incredibly luscious sweet raspberry aroma. Like raspberry cheesecake, or raspberry truffles, or red velvet cake. There is a rich, dark chocolate syrup character as well. The faintest hint of booze comes in to remind you that you aren't smelling a gourmet dessert. There is a touch of tart raspberry notes as well. This thing is perfection. I think this is one of the best smelling things I have ever smelled.

T: Sweet raspberry, tart raspberry, rich chocolate, and a hint of mocha coffee bitterness. Some roasted and black malts come out. Faint hints of booze add to the depth and complexity. As it warms I also get caramel/toffee and licorice. An absolutely incredible combination of flavors, with just the right balance of tart and bitter to keep the huge sweetness in check. The aftertaste is incredible with semi-sweet bakers chocolate and dark fruit sweetness, and it lingers forever after each sip. Amazing.

M/D: Very full bodied, thick, a bit chewy, and almost (but not quite) syrupy. Surprising smoothness, likely from the perfect lower carbonation. No burn going down, but gives a whole body warming sensation. ABV is very well restrained and drinkability is just absurd.

O: Near perfect. One of the top handful of beers Ive had all time. World class.

07-01-2013 18:47:36 | More by zac16125