Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Wants: 1,267
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,092 | Reviews: 452
4.54/5  rDev +3.7%

2007 vintage bottle into tulip

S: Raspberry explosion, with currants, port, chocolate, little alcohol (reminds me a little of a strong New Glarus Rasp. Tart)

A; Dark brown/red. Extremely little carbonation.

T: Basically the same as smell for me, but with the alcohol burn taking the front seat.

M: A little thin. Little dry. Kind of like sherry or wine actually.

D: Pretty darn good, considering it's supposed to be a fruit dessert beer, and the abv is huge.

Overall: More of a mutant hybrid drink than a classic beer. The strength and booze is definitely present suggesting they took the "Eis" style seriously. The only thing this reminds me of in the beer world is some of the New Glarus stuff and some of Kuhnhenn's other strong offerings.

4.73/5  rDev +8%

2004 bottle. Absolutely delicious raspberries, molasses, chocolate, and coffee! Beautiful mahogany color. Nice rich mouth feel with just a touch of carbonation to clean the finish. This is simply wonderful. This is the epitome of dessert beer. I highly reccomend serving it with a really nice, moist piece of chocolate cake.

4.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I received this in the recent White Whale BIF and couldn't wait any longer to try it.
6.3oz 2007 bottle served in a small snifter.

A - Pours a rich caramel with reddish hue. I think I see a few small bubbles of carbonation, but didn't expect any given the abv.

S - Fresh tart raspberries dipped in caramel chocolate. I could smell this all night long.

T - Big malty raspberries, chocolate, caramel, and cherries. I thought it would be sweeter in the sugar sense, but it's just massively malty sweet.

M/D - The amount of carbonation is perfect for this beer. It just slightly bubbles over your tongue, but leaves your mouth lingering with the malty syrup. Drinkablity is great, and the bottle size is absolutely perfect.

I need to find at least one more bottle of this to see what its like at 3+ years...

4.23/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2007 bottle, drinking in 4/2011.

Looks like maple syrup. Very little head but some remains on the edges throughout.

Super malty, boozy smell, like a barleywine that's turned over but hasn't gone bad.

Ah, beautiful taste. Like chocolate covered raspberries. Very tart finish. Toffee malts in there too. A great swirl of flavors. Right combination of sweet and tart and well-blended too. Oak and cherry flavors too. The booze is definitely present, but the booze is needed to put an edge on the sweetness/tartness.

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

At tap at the brewery the day after release. 6 oz wine glass pour. Beautiful claret when held to the light, slightly mahogany look in lower light. Minimal head as you'd expect with this much alcohol, but the light tan ring persists through the glass and clings after each sip.

Nose fills with raspberry followed by chocolate and carmel notes slightly reminiscent of chewing a tootsie roll. Fruit forward without completely obscuring a complex maltiness.

Raspberry to begin with in the sip - fruity sweet followed my a slight hint of sourness (like eating a handful of berries when there are one or two tart ones mixed in). How to describe the malt? Imagine the character from barrel aging without any tannin wood iness to detract from the fruit. That character remains long after you swallow. A pleasant afterglow that stays with you for a long time. Extremely well balanced.

This needs to be approached slowly. There is some alcohol heat in the full bodied mouthfeel that borders on syrupy without becoming cloying, but much less than you'd expect at 15% ABV. The alcohol reveals itself in the warming feeling in the belly after you swallow. Definitely a sipper. Great flavor and complexity to be savored gradually. Glad I have a bottle to cellar because as good as it is now, I expect it to improve with age. If you have the means, get one before it is gone.

4.37/5  rDev -0.2%

Been wanting to try this one for quite some time, many thanks to Matt for opening this one!

Poured from a plain 187ml bottle, 2007 vintage into my Rapscallion snifter.

Pours a beautiful raspberry red. No head or lace, but that's to be expected for something with such a high ABV. The edges, where the beer touches the glass are considerably lighter than the rest of the beer. Much more so than usual I think.

Smells of raspberry and dark chocolates. Has a very sweet smell, and not at all hot. There is a sweetness from the faded alcohol, but it does seem obvious that it's not going to be hot.

Tastes of sweet raspberry chocolate. It's pretty delicious! There's a slight bitterness that seems more like bitter chocolate than hops. The caramel isn't really noticeable, but I think it's what's adding this nice creaminess. The creaminess seems reminiscent of a nitro tap. I would say more like a cask, except it's definitely got a nice amount of carbonation in the body of the beer. There's a small chocolate bit at the end, which grows as it warms. It's not overpowering at all, and it really adds to the enjoyment of this brew.

Feels excellent in the mouth, but it could use a little bit more to it. I don't know if I want more carbonation, but it just doesn't seem perfect.

This is a very drinkable desert beer, and I really wish that there was more of it to go around!

4.39/5  rDev +0.2%

6.3oz bottle served in Darkness snifter. 2007 vintage.

A: Pours a deep reddish brown...much darker than expected. Huge glob of sediment plops into my glass! Guess I should have been a little bit more careful. No head to speak of.

S: Rich and sweet. Dark chocolate bar with rasberry filling. Carmel. Slightly boozy. Decadent.

T: Sweet rasberry sauce. Chocolate, carmel, vanilla, and some butterscotch. Quite complex. Flavors of plum and red grape. Dessert in a glass.

M: Viscous and slick. Carbonation is minimal. Coats the palate wonderfully.

D: This tiny bottle is plenty. The alcohol is actually fairly well hidden. Malt lovers rejoice. This is a sipper for sure. I do wish I had more bottles of this to set aside for certain occasions. Too rich to drink more than one serving, which is obviously the intention of this brew.

Scored this 2007 vintage in a trade this past fall and kept it for a special occassion. Certainly, a great way to ring out 2008 on New Year's Eve.

Poured from the miniscule, 6.3 oz, burgundy-red wax capped bottle into my Leffe stemmed goblet. It poured very viscous and cloudy, almost pulpy it's so thick. Upon swirling, it's as if the raspberry pits cling to the glass.

On to the nose. An explosion of ripened raspberries, like jam in a glass. I feel like making a PB & J sandwich it's so bountiful. I like a brew that clearly states it's case even before I sip it.

I let the bottle rest on the kitchen counter for 15 minutes and then another five or so in the glass before the first magical sip. Like a chocolate candy with raspberry filling! Chewy and fruity with a mild alcohol burn in the finsih. Thick and full bodied. Fruity esters abound like raspberry preserves and caramel sandwiched as one. Then caramel notes become more dominant as it warms further.

This is a tongue-coater. The raspberry goodness pricks the sides of your tongue then fades with a flourish of mild alcohol bite.

Obviously a special, world-class treat, meant to be savored as I did in front of a fire on New Year's Eve. I hope they make it to the Extreme Beer Fest again like they did last year.

4.94/5  rDev +12.8%

What a huge thanks to Northertimber for the opportunity to try this one. This is my RedRider BB gun if you know what I mean...
Gorgeous caramel color and an apparent fullness to the body in this. Initially there is a burst of brownish head that flashes then falls away like fireworks. Even before pouring there is this chocolate/vanilla/raspberry all macerated in brandy aroma that involuntarily lifts the corners of your mouth in anticipation. The flavor starts very alcohol with huge chocolate covered cherry sweetness. There's raspberry cordials dripping in sweet brandy, what a treat. The body is superb... not syrupy like the rest of the beers composition would lead you to believe, it's actually full and lush and goes down velvety but finishes so clean.
I initially felt like the size of the bottle was a bit of a marketing rip-off but I realize that, for me anyways, this was perfect to thoroughly enjoy without biting off more than I could chew. I will truly be seeking this out for the holidays every year from here out.

4.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Tulip Glass, bottle is from 2007.

A - Pours a murky dark brown with some faint reddish highlights. A very very thin ring of foam around the glass. Pours as it has 0 carbonation.

S - Unbelievably great smelling, Wonderful combination of bright raspberries, milk chocolate, and caramel. Man they should make a cologne that smells like this.

T - Wow just terrific, raspberries, chocolate, and boozy, but not complaining about that.

M - Good medium bodied, silky smooth, and very little carbonation.

D - Man this is just pure luxury! Definitely try to get a hold of this gem if you can, don't worry about the price, it is totally worth it!

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

at room temperature this 2004 vintage pours a deep muddy red with a light tan head. after a vigorous pour the head drops quickly to a ring around the glass. minimal lacing. aroma is huge with cherries, sweet raspberries and a vinous alcohol. after drinking you'll notice a chocolate aroma as well. first sip is incredible. tastes more like cherries than raspberries, but the raspberries are definitely there. tastes like chocolate covered berries with a only hint of well placed alcohol and a nice warming effect at the back of the sip. tingles on the sides and back of the tongue. champagne-like taste and feel. sweetness is counterbalanced by a touch of unripe cherry bitterness. little to no hop character. the mouthfeel is a nice, almost fluffy medium body with just the right amount of carbonation. despite the high abv, the alcohol is well hidden, but rears it's head at the perfect times. easy to drink, but the burn and warming effect keep you slowly sipping. paired absolutely deliciously with some belgian chocolates. (the darker the better) overall, this brew comes with a lot of hype and doesn't disappoint. coming from someone who doesn't generally enjoy fruit in his beer, this is simply delicious and an absolute must try.

4.79/5  rDev +9.4%

2007 vintage. Released at the 2010 Winter Solstice I do believe. Thanks to normyk once again for an excellent brew. You're too kind, Will! Split with my girlfriend and served in a snifter:

A - Pours a rich ruby, golden, mahogany color. No head, only a few bubbles toward the middle. No lacing.

S - Wow! Cheese cake with raspberry syrup. Bits of cherries and strawberries but huge on the raspberries. A bit of chocolate, vanilla ice cream and candy.

T - Raspberry puree, chocolate and pie crust. A bit of a red wine flavoring. Lactose and sugar. Taste largely follows the nose.

M - Really smooth and slightly creamy finish. Really no carbonation. A bit like fruit juice and raspberry syrup combined.

D - This would be a perfect size for one person but since I split it with someone else I wish it was at least a 12 ounce bottle. Really enjoyable! Went down easy. The smell is just outstanding (I almost didn't want to drink it but rather smell it instead.) A wonderful brew and one that I will continue to seek out more of. A must try!

4.64/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a bubble-less, murky, brandy red-brown into a snifter. No head, and with it, no lace. A bit of a swirl leaves a sticky sheet on the sides of the glass. Viscous as hell. This beer has one of the best fragrances I have smelt in my life. And i'm not just talking about beer. The raspberry, yes, but throw in plum, currant, cocoa, cinnamon, and a multitude of others I can't quite put my finger on. The flavor is equally glorious, with the raspberry and cocoa being the dominant flavors, with dark fruits and spice galore. The booze is there, but not nearly what you'd expect from an ABV this high. Amazing complexity. Mouthfeel is as viscous as it looks, thick and juicy. A serious sipper, I fully understand why this comes in a 6.3 oz bottle. Too much of this stuff could kill a moose.

Overall, a fantastic and unique beer. More along the lines of a cordial or liquer, this is made to be sipped slowly and savored.

3.72/5  rDev -15.1%

Miniature bottles courtesy of my boys SpencerDB, CaptainCougar, anyone else? So we tried 2004 and 2007. The pour is murky, muddy brown with low carbonation. Let me just say that this was not impressive whatsoever. Okay- it’s a slightly raspberry tangy super malt forward barleywine. I mean that is what this is. There is a lot of milk chocolate, raspberry chocolate, and it is just full of toffee. I mean it’s good but nothing that blew me out of the water. And that was the ’04. The ’07 literally tasted like broccoli. So- this is one that I’ll have to revisit. For now- meh. 7/4/6/3/12=3.2

Another 2007 bottle. Pours muddy, reddish brown and completely flat. Excellent aroma that is full of toffee, creme brulee, caramel, chocolate covered strawberries. Taste is tart, light, more raspberry character than I remember. Still thin bodied. 9/4/7/3/13=3.6

4.85/5  rDev +10.7%

2004 vintage

Pours very thick muddy ruddy reddish brown with the slightest, quickly disappearing head. The appearance is otherwise unimpressive except for the light coming through the beer and glass creates the most amazing red light on my table. Smells of raspberries, cherries, hugely concentrated malts and faint chocolate. The taste is where this stuff really shines. Amazing flavors. Initial stabs of chocolate then sweet raspberries to quite tart cherries, maple syrupy flavors, more chocolate, chocolate coated candy raspberries. Hints of chambord. Wisps of spiciness? Huge interplay and great depth of flavor. Lingers on well too. Alcohol is not present. Unique. Mouthfeel is quite full but has vibrant carbonation as well and all fits together perfectly. Drinkability is staggeringly impressive. Alcohol is imperceptible and apparent only in throatwarming. What an incredible beer. The first eisbock i've actually enjoyed.

Thanks to Northerntimber and No BS BIF for this sample

3.81/5  rDev -13%

I was delighted to find this 2007 vintage on the shelf at a inconvenience store with an extensive beer collection along with Tenacious Cassis on a trip to downstate MI. Pours a murky brown color with a tan head. The smell is the most interesting part of this beer with dark fruits, chocolate and liqueur. The taste is not as interesting with a thick syrupy sweet taste of rasberries. The mouthfeel is thick and coats the tongue. Overall, I am glad I tried this beer but I expected much more. However, if you have a chance Tenacious Cassis is a must.

4.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 2007 vintage bottle into a flute.

I tried this two different times, one week apart. I must say that my first tasting left me somewhat disappointed vs. the incredible hype that this beer receives. I thought that it was very good but not exceptional.

As I had a # of beers the first time I tasted it, I tried another bottle one week later without having a # of beers behind me already when tasting. I also allowed it to warm a bit before tasting.

Rich brown color with minimal head and lacing. The taste is a rich caramel flavor without an overpowering taste of rasberry. Some rich ripe fruits come through with a warming finish at the end.

On the second time through, I really, REALLY enjoyed this beer. You want more of it but unless you are willing to shell out $30 for 2 bottles, you have to make due with just one.

I am already looking forward to pulling these out of the cellar for X-mas Eve and NY Eve this year. A really fine beer that is worth trying. Enjoy.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Dark brown with a tinge of red. Small ring and small islands of foam dwindles to tiny bubbles here and there. A couple sesame seed sized sinkers.

A heady smell of dark chocolate and cooked raspberries are tempting in the extreme.

The aroma is almost an invitation to disappointment but I must say that this was everything I thought it could be. Chocolate malted milk with raspberry. Not as intense as the aroma but quite a bit more complex. There is a berry seed bitterness and a tartness that lasts, literally, for hours. Like a mouthwatering SweetTart under your tongue tartness.

Surprisingly medium in body. With so much aroma and flavor, I expected it to feel thicker. Very creamy. Plenty of carbonation tickle to make it even more interesting.

There is a reason that it comes in a 6.3oz bottle. I could not imagine drinking more in one sitting. Even so, it took me over an hour to fully savor it and I still felt like I was drinking too fast. Very enjoyable. Very interesting.

4.77/5  rDev +8.9%

Oh yes, it made me smile. I consider myself quite lucky to have tried this lovely fruity brew.. It's a dark black coffee colour with a brownish head, smells wonderful- raspberries dominate, with coffee, chocolate, brown sugar even. Very sweet and roasty. The taste was excellent as well, again, lots of raspberry flavour swimming around in my mouth, fruity and quite tart actually, and a big roasty toasty undercurrent kind of helping the berries along around my tongue, through my teeth, and down my throat. This is also very thick, almost too thick, but it's not bad because of the tartness of the raspberries. It cuts it a little. Drinkability, yes. I'd love to have another. However, because of the thick sweetness I wouldn't want too many in one sitting... All in all a great beer.

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

great smell, but tastes like overly boozey fruit punch

4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

Look is raspberry red with a thin off white head. Smell of raspberries, thin malt, and sweet fruit. Taste of raspberries and sweet malt. 2014 vintage.

2.71/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

Incredible appearance followed by an initial raspberry flavor which quickly morphed into a lingering medicinal type quality reminiscent of cough syrup. I either got a bad bottle or this one just wasn't for me.

4.7/5  rDev +7.3%

Ah, the elusive Raspberry Eisbock. Thanks to BigDaddyWil for this bottle!

Appearance was nice - copper color with cherry highlights throughout. There was a small head upon pouring but this faded pretty quickly, which is to be expected for a 13.5% brew.

The smell is very pleasant. It's a nice mellow warm raspberry and cherry fruitiness, with a hint of caramel. The smell really intensifies as this warms, but it didn't surprise me as much as the spectacular taste.

The taste is like no other beer you've had. It tastes like chocolate covered raspberries without the tartness as first. Then the depth of the caramel malt hits you and really brings the complexity to another level. There is also some mysterious sparkly spiciness underneath everything that confounds me as I cannot put a name on it. This is one of the most decadent and rich beers I have ever tried, and it was a perfect dessert after a nice steak dinner and a Thirsty Dog Siberian Night Imperial Stout. There is never any hint of the alcohol content, which is amazing.

The mouthfeel is perfect for this beer. It's thick, that's for sure, but not so thick that it becomes chewy or heavy at any point. It's basically just perfect. I had to fight myself from chugging my tiny sample because I split the ridiculously small bottle with my girlfriend. This is such a good example of the diversity of beer. Just amazing.

4.47/5  rDev +2.1%

Bottle 2007 Nice waxed cap. Pours a murky brown with bubbles but no real head. he bubbles settle quickly. No real lacing but a ring from the edge of the beer. Aroma is pleasing. I get alcohol, raspberries, and chocolate. Has a light carbonation. The flavor is awesome. Taste like a chocolate raspberry tart. A good burn. Not too sweet. Has a syrupy texture. The body is medium. The finish is great. And the sweet aftertaste lingers well. This may be the beer drinkers desert drink. No more scotch I would rather have this

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

I got this in a trade a long while ago. Poured from the bottle into a HOTD tasting glass. 2004 vintage.

First off, I love the bottle. 6.3oz, wax-dipped. Nice presentation. It would be even better if the label wasn't coming off. Pour is a very dark, yet clear, plum color. A few bubbles, maybe, but this is pretty flat. That's expected.

Smell is wonderful. Huge, rich milk chocolate with a strong backbone of raspberries. This really smells exactly like a chocolate covered raspberry.

Taste follows the nose. This is quite sweet, as expected. An explosion of rich chocolate and dark, overripe raspberries. Very, very nice. Alcohol is basically completely hidden.

Mouthfeel is velvety and smooth. Great length on the taste.

Drinkability - it's a good thing that this is a 6.3oz bottle. It's just not something that you can drink a lot of due to the sweetness, but in small quantities it doesn't get much better as a dessert beer. The excellent masking of the alcohol content is a plus as well.

Highly recommended, very nice beer.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company