1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »
Ratings: 798 | Reviews: 410 | Show All Ratings:
CaseyK

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

2007 Vintage. Thanks goes out to glazeman for trading me this.

A: No head at all on this beer. The color of it is somewhere between purple and a reddish-brown. Nice and dark.

S: Smells of berries, caramel and a hint of cocoa.

T: Wow, this taste is great. The taste of raspberries is very upfront, nice sweet and flavorful. The sweetness makes me think of a raspberry flavored bonbon. The taste of cocoa comes next, definitely a dark chocolate taste. At 13.5 percent this stuff isn't too hot.

M: A bit of a syrupy quality to it, thick but not too thick considering how high the ABV. Very pleasant.

D: Has an alcoholic taste to it but I wouldn't have guessed that it's 13.5 percent. It is very smooth for the ABV.

O: Wow this stuff was great. I'm going to have to try to find another bottle of this now! What an interesting and complex flavor, one of the best that I've had all summer.

08-08-2010 04:23:07 | More by CaseyK
PattyMelt

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at Kuhnhenn's, as well as at WBF.

A- Pretty much the way I want all beers to look- deep red/pinkish, with minimal head.

S- Raspberry (obviously), pretty tart smell. I personally couldn't pick up on any of the chocolate or malt tones in the smell.

T- Amazing. As I was trying to explain it to friends, I described it as a raspberry soaked in liquor. (Please mind that I was slightly inebriated when stating this, but you get the idea). Strong raspberry flavor, that tastes like real fresh raspberry, not syrup or candy or anything of that sort. Hints of cocoa and maltiness. But, the alcohol does pack a punch. You can definitely taste it, and from what I hear you either love it or hate it. I clearly love it, but I can definitely see how some may feel it is too abrasive.

O- A very good beer. Pretty much perfect for me, but I curved my grades a bit seeing as this is not a beer that appeals to everyone. I have a bottle that I plan on aging for awhile to see how that pans out.

02-26-2013 09:16:57 | More by PattyMelt
sleepingbear

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired a 187ml wax dipped 2004 bottle from a friend. (Thanks Michael!)

I had seen this beer's high ratings and had some very high expectations for it. It was almost impossible for it to have lived up to it’s legend.

Then I smelled it.
The scent was magnificent with a rich malty aroma with a lingering red fruit nose.
The first sip is like a warm, frothy dark chocolate bitters and raspberry crème.
Damn!

This is raspberry chocolate cake in a bottle. I imagine drinking these little 187ml bottles on a hard xcountry ski run. On a stop at a Lake Michigan plateau, cold clean air- and a bottle of raspberry chocolate cake. I'm going to buy as much of this as I can find.
I am hooked.

11-14-2006 06:02:52 | More by sleepingbear
alohaC

4.53/5  rDev +3%

Recent December bottling of 2004 batch. Received in a trade with Walleye - thanks, Jim! Pours a viscous and syrupy dark brown with tinges of red when the light hits the glass right. No head or carbonation to speak of and it really reminds me more of an aged brandy than a beer. Impressive, though. Smells of brandy-soaked raspberries and chocolate with a hint of carmelized sugar. Thick and syrupy on the tongue - this is a beer that slides rather than washes down. Tastes like it smells, but not over the top on the raspberries. Very balanced and not hot with alcohol. My first thought is how amazing this eisbock would taste drizzled over pancakes. Its sweet molasses, chocolate and fruit flavors would be a show-stopper. Overall, a very unique, well-crafted and tasty dessert beer/apertif. Glad I have an additional bottle to stash and see how the flavors change in time. My first Kuhnhenn Bros. beer, but far from my last.

04-03-2007 05:41:43 | More by alohaC
jewski

6.3oz. green glass bottle, dated 2004. Consumed at room temperature. Pours a beautiful deep garnet red, almost black with a fine, off-white head with minimal lacing.

The nose is pure sweetness. Raspberries, brown sugar, caramel, chocolate with the merest suggestion of alcohol. I found myself smelling the glass long after the beer was gone.The taste is even more amazing. A burst of ripe raspberries progresses to bitter-sweet chocolate truffle in a smooth, fluid transition. Vaguely spiced in the finish; earthy, anise. The flavor just lingers softly in your mouth, waiting for the next sip.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick. Syrupy, but not sticky, more silky. Wonderful. Drinkability is perfect. A sipper, but only a drying hint of alcohol. Smooth enough to finish in one gulp.

It doesn’t get any better than this. Bottled perfection. Was very tempted to open my second bottle right after enjoying the first.

12-02-2005 07:18:35 | More by jewski
Howler89

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Tonight will forever be the night I had my first Eisbock. THe labor that goes into a beer like this alone makes it one of the most special beers I have ever had the privilege of experiencing. It pours a beautiful syrupy ruby red- rusted gold color. It smells like chocolate- covered raspberry explosion. The taste is a fruit bomb like no other I have ever experienced. Extreme thickness and depth here. THe fruit is layered in a way that is so precious. An elite bottle of beer, and more of an experience than a beverage. Wow. So good its silly. Cherish every sip. Thank you StonedTrippin for putting this beer in my world. You are both a gentleman and a scholar.

05-05-2013 06:57:53 | More by Howler89
masterchiefMD

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%

I got this in a trade about a year ago or so, the 04 version.

A= poured very dark ruby red almost brown

S= you can tell this beer is packing some ABV, also very sweet(dark chocolate and raspberry)

T= WOW, I got a bit of chocolate up front, then a rush of raspberry, follow bot a little more chocolate

M- low carb, warms me up like drinking a BCS. The taste stays in your mouth for a little bit, I can tell this is going to be a slow drinker

D= this is good, i realize that the small bottle was for a reason, its like a very fatty desert ( you should only have one even though you want more)

will be looking for me if anyone can hook me up!

03-06-2009 23:58:34 | More by masterchiefMD
DaSolomon

4.38/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

'12 bottle poured into flute.

Smell is of deep raspberry and only that. Exactly like the Raspberry Tart desert that bakery/pastry shops sell.

Pours a deep, deep red and mahogany color with very little to no head

Flavor mostly one note, Raspberry, Raspberry Raspberry. Alcohol mixed in but it settles well. It's not a complex beer but it has a powerful, full bodied flavor of Raspberries. It would make a very nice desert beer most definitely.

Solid brew, would like to see how it ages. Maybe with age the Raspberry will become less dominate and more of the subtle notes it covers will blossom.

03-07-2013 22:44:04 | More by DaSolomon
amkpublishing

4.95/5  rDev +12.5%

Was bestowed an advanced taste of this magnificent beer at the November meeting of the Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers (KGB) Homebrew Club.

Smooth, creamy and delicious are just some of the adjectives that describe this beer. the only knock is it is still a tiny bit cloudy but I can overlook that as this was an advanced taste of the December 21st scheduled release.

The Kuhnhenn Brothers have outdone themselves yet again. It is great to see this award winning brew back in the available column.

Serving type: growler