Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Raspberry EisbockKuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Wants: 1,242
Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Eisbock |  15.50% ABV

(Beer added by: marburg on 07-27-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +9.1%

A small 6.4 oz. bottle with a big wax cap, 2004 vintage with a vintage look to the label. Into a small tulip glass, pours a much darker than expected deep mahogony maroon, a small darkish head receding to a thin ring, thin bubbly sheets of lacing as the liquid retreats. Aroma is deep and rich, full of rasberry, chocolate slipping under the radar, cognac, malty tones underneath.

Taste is magical, a rasberry beer that should be shortened to rasbeer, so well crafted it is. This is no excersice in making a beer rasberry flavored (bad), or trying to infuse rasberries (better), this is a study in such balance, such perfectly fitting parts, a well-honed whole, its as though there aren't any flavors, just experience. As you start, the rasberry comes out to say hello, slips away as it introduces you to caramels and chocolates, cognacs and brandy, sweet and delicious malt, a smooth and slow and creamy procession through beery nirvana, when the tart rasberry walks you down the stairs and out of existence, leaving one to consider this; most people would actually scoff at the idea of rasberries in beer. Such is the joy and tragedy of such a beer, and how lucky are those who know of it.

Many thanks to hopdog for this masterpiece.

4.43/5  rDev +0.7%

Deep brownish prune, limited off-white head still impresses for 18%. Huge rooty nose, explosive green character, like the branches of a raspberry in its woodiness. Funky yeast notes emanate in the form of an hairspray concentrate. Welcoming chocolate and vegetal tones wouldn’t fit together in any other beer, but the acid character, the woody nature and the truffle richness appear like they all came from the same tree. Plenty of raspberries underlying flavors, but the alcohol is the big loser, nowhere to be seen which is most impressive. Slight oiliness on the palate, medium bodied, moderately carbonated. Strong presence in mouth, less fruity, possibly less acid than expected, a nice acetic backbone remains subtle, woody, though you have the impression that the tartness grows from sip to sip. If a dessert beer exists, you have one here, full on truffles and not too sweet at that. Worth seeking big time.

4.85/5  rDev +10.2%

6.3 oz bottle. 2004 Vintage.
Figured it'd be a good one to try for review #200.

Pours darker than I expected...deep garnet color. Leaves a shadowy head skimming over the top of the brew. Aroma and taste are complex..the two main flavors are rich chocolate and berries (raspberry, one would assume), but I definitely think I tasted some mulberry and blackberry as well. Unlike the (in)famous Sam Adams Triple Bock (and similar high alcohol brews) I could have drank this entire bottle in a few seconds...it's that easy to drink, and that damn good.

It was enjoyed tremendously at room temp...I really don't think this beer would taste bad ice cold, or if it sat out in the sun for 2 days. It's just an incredible tasting and well-crafted brew in all aspects. Not too tart, not too sweet, just...yeah. The bottle was gone way, way too soon. I'm positive I could drink a 500ml bottle myself, it's got tremendous drinkability for such a big beer. Maybe someday I'll get my hands on one of those beauties. I was not expecting a beer this experimental to be this good...but it had no problem living up to my expectations.

Thanks to walleye for giving me the chance to try this amazing, unique brew.

4.26/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Type: on tap ~5 oz
Glass: flute
From: kuhnhenn's
Price: 15

Appearance: dark dark red almost black but pretty clear

Smell: extra sweet raspberry. Strong alcohol

Taste: along the same lines of the nose. The raspberry sweetness and alcohol play very well together for a well balanced but not complex beer

Mouthfeel: heavy, warm, thick, smooth, but I wish it was a more chewy

Overall: greet beer. Wonderfully strong and warming but at the price I could find much better. Probably will not have again due to the price

4.53/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I had this on-tap at the Kuhnhenn Brewery as part of a paddle.

Appearance: I was shocked to see a little, tiny ring of pink/purple head on this beer. I had seen a few reviews of this beer, and it looked just like a dark black/purple/red color and nothing else. The lowpoint of this beer, but it's also the part of the beer that matters least.

Smell: Flawless. This really smells like a urinal cake... in the BEST way possible. Maybe that won't do it for you. Alright. It smells like the raspberry that you whiff out of raspberry filled chocolates. This is just full of raspberries with maybe a hint of chocolate... whatever it is, this smells outstanding. Candle, please?

Taste: I noticed that some people called this syrupy thick. Overly sweet. Too much to handle. Really, I thought it was nearly perfect. This beer is most definitely a dessert beer (almost something you'd pour over a vanilla ice cream... actually, that sounds fantastic), but whatever you wanna call it, it's outstanding. Massive raspberry, but it's not so tart/sweet that it becomes cloying.. easy for me to say, considering I had about a 3oz sample of it. Honestly, I didn't find this to be medicinal at all... There's also slight chocolate note that gives this a needed extra dimension of flavor... yum. I also have to commend Kuhnhenn for the feel of this beer, as it's not super carbonated (so it doesn't drink like a pop... though I wouldn't expect that given the ABV), and it's not syrupy sweet (which I was afraid of after seeing reviews and the ABV). As for the alcohol in the flavor, I don't get it. All I get is a slight burn in my nasal cavity after I take a sip.

This is a damn expensive beer (About $15 for 6oz at the brewery), but you should include this as part of your sample paddle. This is something that any beer/wine/mead drinker would enjoy, I think.

4.98/5  rDev +13.2%

375mL bottle into a Teku glass
2012 Vintage

350th Beer Advocate Review

A big thanks to Tee2grn for sending this one over in a trade. One of my very top wants for a couple years now.

A: Pours a deep, dark, ruby red with 1 fingers width of tan colored head which quickly dissipates down to nothing. Leaves zero lacing and just a hint of alcohol legs.

S: Just an incredibly luscious sweet raspberry aroma. Like raspberry cheesecake, or raspberry truffles, or red velvet cake. There is a rich, dark chocolate syrup character as well. The faintest hint of booze comes in to remind you that you aren't smelling a gourmet dessert. There is a touch of tart raspberry notes as well. This thing is perfection. I think this is one of the best smelling things I have ever smelled.

T: Sweet raspberry, tart raspberry, rich chocolate, and a hint of mocha coffee bitterness. Some roasted and black malts come out. Faint hints of booze add to the depth and complexity. As it warms I also get caramel/toffee and licorice. An absolutely incredible combination of flavors, with just the right balance of tart and bitter to keep the huge sweetness in check. The aftertaste is incredible with semi-sweet bakers chocolate and dark fruit sweetness, and it lingers forever after each sip. Amazing.

M/D: Very full bodied, thick, a bit chewy, and almost (but not quite) syrupy. Surprising smoothness, likely from the perfect lower carbonation. No burn going down, but gives a whole body warming sensation. ABV is very well restrained and drinkability is just absurd.

O: Near perfect. One of the top handful of beers Ive had all time. World class.

4.88/5  rDev +10.9%

500ml bottle that really reminds of the Sam Adams Utopias bottle...only more plain. 2004 batch. Monstrous, epic thanks to AKSmokedPorter, and, more importantly, a certain BA who will be thanked indirectly for getting this to AKSP.

A: A satisfying "pfft" upon opening the aged bottle. Poured a few fingers into my Samichlaus snifter. Stunning chocolate-infused amber in color. Tight, tight layer of coffee-froth-colored head. Tiny beads of lace slowly glide down the sides of the glass after each sip...to be consumed again by the now wispy-thin layer.

S: Tootsie Roll raspberry sucker. That's what I smell. Dead, spot on. An amazing layer of chocolate-toffee mixed with T-O-N-S of freshly ground berries. Woven into the supporting fabric is a boozy/brandy-like aroma, drizzled with loads of caramlized sugar. "Fresh" is an understatement.

T: Quite sweet up front. This is quickly brushed aside by an avalanche of berry flavor. It's amazing to experience the onslaught of such a fresh-tasting raspberry flavor, almost as if the berries were put in the bottle just before opening. Swift notes of Heath bar rise to the challenge of the boatload of raspberry puree` on your palate. Finishes rather dry, with a kinda "raspberry seeds in your mouth" aftertaste, accompanied (briefly) by a slight warming ABV. Simply amazing.

M/D: 13.5% ABV. No way. Cloaked in the flavor is the alcohol with this one. Dangerously drinkable. This is lasting me all through the Sox-Yankees game, hopefully enough to drown out Chris Berman. My palate is completely covered by this thing. I feel as though I could cut it with a knife. One-of-a-kind. And (more than likely) a once-in-a-lifetime experience (one I'll not soon forget).

3.75/5  rDev -14.8%

4.5/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Pours a dark raspberry brown with a thin ring of off-white foam. Minimal lacing.

S - It's a fantastic tart raspberry smell with sweet chocolate in the background.

T - Wow, the sweetness of the raspberry that I smelled tastes tart on my tongue. The raspberry is strong but I pick up hints of dark fruit, sweet toffee and a little tobacco on the back end.

M - Creamy medium body with very low, but present, carbonation.

O - An amazing beer that hides the high abv. well. I could drink a lot of these very easily.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

4.78/5  rDev +8.6%

2004 bottle. Since this is the last day of American Carft Beer Week, I decided to close it out with a bang.

This beer pours a dark brown color with a thin light brown head. The head fades fast, leaving a lot of laces.

This beer has a very pleasent raspberry and chocolate aroma. It smells quite sweet. I am a little surprised at how chocolatey this smells. The alcohol is hidden well in the aroma, but I can detect a hint of it.

This beer has a very chocolate raspberry flavor. It tastes like I am eating candy. It is very sweet. The alcohol is noticable in the flavor. Wow, this beer is incredable. Never have I tasted a beer with a flavor or aroma any where near this.

This beer leaves an aftertaste like raspberrys. It is easy to drink, which is quite a surprise since it is so high in alcohol. This beer is also surprisingly smooth.

This beer would probably not make the best session beer. It is high in alcohol, and that would be a problem. Also, the flavor, although wonderful, is a little sewwt. It might be hard to drink too many. I am sure that I could drink more than 6.5 oz though.

Thank you very much thomashardy for hooking me up with this winner.

4.2/5  rDev -4.5%

HUGE chocolate malt aroma with ample sweet raspberry notes. Muddies amber in color with no real head. Big blast of chocolate and raspberry. Tastes like a raspberry truffle indeed. Matta mentioned Captain Crunch and I get that too. It’s so damn tasty it’s hard to believe it isn’t just a raspberry chocolate puree. There are mild caramel hints, but this mostly just a chocolate/raspberry party. I can’t detect any alcohol in it just smooth tasty goodness.

3.8/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2013 bottle, review from notes.

Pours a murky burgundy color, hues of brown, garnet and raspberry when struck by the light, no visible head and no visible lacing. The aroma is pungent fleshy raspberry, very fresh fruit, but a very harsh alcohol sweetness with some rich dark grain, caramel and toffee sugar notes, it's already too sweet for me, but the fresh berry is fantastic. The flavors are similar, massive fresh raspberry, which is delicious, is instantly overpowered by intense alcohol sweetness, caramel, brown sugar and a bit of vanilla. The body is super thick and syrupy, very sticky, finishes rather smoothly but with some harsh alcohol behind it.

Verdict: Can't say I am super impressed given the hype and ratings behind this beer, the fruit is wonderfully done, but the harsh alcohol and cloying qualities ruined it for me. Not sure what age will do to this beer, but I have a hard time believing that it will improve.

4.75/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to ThomasHardy for this one.

6.3 oz bottle, 2004 release

A: Pours into a flute with a reddish brown color with little head or lacing.

S: Light fruity smell with sugary aromas the remind me of candy. Also some herbal and floral notes. Not a strong smell, but very complex and pleasant.

T: Soft raspberry taste with flavors of caramel, candy, and a characteristic bock maltiness. Sweet, but not overly fruity as I expected. The alcohol is amazingly well-hidden until the beer gets to room temp, and then it takes on a mild cough syrup sort of taste, so drink this slightly chilled.

M: Full-bodied, thick, sticky, and syrupy. Light carbonation.

D: An amazing sipper, 6.3 ounces was just enough. Quite complex and a must-try beer.

4.53/5  rDev +3%

2007 bottling:

Pours a cloudy purple-reddish brown mix with 1 pinky of tan head. Average retention and nice lacing. Smells of raspberries, caramel, grapes, prunes, chocolate, and a touch of alcohol. Tastes of caramel, heavy raspberry jelly, chocolate, prunes, brown sugar, and alcohol. Full bodied and syrupy with good carbonation and a great balance between fruits and sugar sweetness. A little high in ABV to enjoy often, but the smaller size of the bottle is perfect for the amount and the excellent flavors make this something I will continue to seek out and enjoy for special occasions.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%

Big thanks goes out to tprokop7 for trading this rare gem to me. Poured in to my Dogfish Head snifter a mildly opaque raspberry brown, with no heading. Look is also very viscous looking, almost syrupy looking based on a swirl around the glass. Aroma is bursting with sweet raspberries, bit of vodka, and chocolate. Taste is lovely, with chocolate, raspberries, maple syrup, pleasant warming alcohol, and many other flavors I can't even begin to decipher. Body is just about perfect in that it is silky smooth, heavy, and complex as all hell. The alcohol is certainly there, and detectable not in taste, but instead in the overall feel. Drinkability is fantastic, although this is one to sip. This is a tremendous beer from a brewery that I am fascinated to try more from. By far one of the best beers I have had this year, if not ever. If I have the chance to get this one again, I will be very happy. Cheers

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company