Kuhnhenn All Hallows Ale - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn All Hallows AleKuhnhenn All Hallows Ale

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: putnam on 11-02-2003)
4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Growler shared by dmeadows.

A: Deep reddish caramel color with a little bit of white head sitting on top in my Dogfish tulip. A little bit of spoty lacing on the glass. Very nice color especially for the style.

S: Very heavy on the spices. Tons of nutmeg. Just a touch of sourness to it that really makes this nice. Little bit of malt but it is balanced it out by the spices.

T: Really nice spice to it. Not that over the top and balanced out well by the malt. Lots of toffee and caramel from the malt. Nutmeg leads the way but you get quite a bit of cinnamon and a touch of clove. A little bit of sour in there as well. Do not know if it is intentional but it is good none the less.

M: Very nice full bodied beer especially for the ABV.

D: Really nice pumpkin ale. I could drink quite a bit of this. I have enjoyed everything I have had from these guys and this is no exemption. Wish they would get a little further out but they can really make a great beer.

Last thing I had at the Blind Tiger's VSK v3 before heading back home.What a fun clusterfuck that was. :)

Everyday tulip pour. Filtered dark copper color with a big dollop of whitewash head. A little chill-hazed, as everything besides the cask comes out too cold.

Smell is a mishmash of sweet powdered spices. Actually smells like they used a mix of just apple pie spices(cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice) instead off going big on clove, ginger, & so on. Scent is slightly baked, & slightly fruity with a pleasant acidic quality.

Bready malt, with more cinnamon & allspice then anything else. The would be soapy nutmeg is way in the background. Bitterness is minute, with clove just barely there. Finish is a zip of leafy bitterness & cinnamon, with barely a notion lingering. Not muddled/weighed down like other spiced ales, but very bright.

Carbonation is prickly, but not harsh. It has some heft to it, but isn't syrupy. I don't like the powdery feel, but the alcohol is well in check.

Tasty. :)

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Tap at brewpub.

Poured a clear dark orange copper color with an average frothy white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate to heavy allspice and pumpkin aroma. Medium to full body with a sticky smooth texture and soft carbonation. Medium to heavy pumpkin bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate to long duration.

This is a solid beer that is good for style.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

A: The ale came to me in a regular beer mug. It has a copper-ish gold hue to it with a decent head on it. The head seemed airy and light, not very thick at all.

S: Exceptional. It smelled like there was a huge plate of pumpkin pie under my nose every time I inhaled deep. A plethora of spices intrigued me. Cinnamon and nutmeg were there?

T: This beer is quite possibly the best Pumpkin Ale I have had in a very long time. I could drink this all day. They nailed it on the head. This tasted just like I was eating a slice of moms homemade pumpkin pie.

M: It felt a little carbonated. Not exactly smooth but very enjoyable. It almost felt like there were a very small amount of pop rocks in my mouth.

D: I would have this drink over and over again if it were possible. I had this drink at least twice during every visit while it was still in stock. I should have picked up many growler of this when I had the chance. Maybe next year!

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Poured a hazy copper. It had an off-white head that lasted for the duration of the pint.

It smells like spiced cookies. Scents of cinnamon and assorted spices attack the nose. Is this a beer or is grandma making something in the kitchen?

The taste is unbelievable. There is no doubt that you're drinking a pumpkin ale. I am hit with spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the flavor of pumpkin. It is slightly sweet and slightly bitter, but these are hardly noticeable over the spices. These seem to dominate the beer and I can taste little else.

This beer is medium bodied but goes down smooth. I could probably put down three or four rounds without any trouble.

This is an overall excellant brew. It is a great fall seasonal and one I would recommend to anyone. Even a non-beer friend in our group enjoyed it. I may have to go back and have a few of these before it is gone for the year.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Much thanks to nisjer05 for grabbing me a growler of this wonderful pumpkin ale!

Poured from a growler into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy, orange, copper color. A nice bright one inch thick head forms, leaving a good amount of lacing. Fantastic smell, closest pumpkin ale that actually smell like pumpkins and spice. Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkins, malt and spice can easily be picked up in the aroma. This brew gives Michigan Brewing Company's Screamin' Pumpkin a run for its money. Lots of malts, pumpkin and spices give this seasonal brew a good flavor. Slightly bitter and not as sweet as I expected. Medium body feel and quite smooth. Super easy too drink, with a decent amount of alcohol. A great seasonal beer thats worthy of trying!

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A perfect autumnal seasonal brew by the brothers Kuhnhenn.

Dangerously tasty. Pours a hazy deep amber in color with a fair off-white head that left only swirls as it fizzled down. Nose is powerful! Nutmeg and pumpkin, smells of pumpkin bread or spice cake. I could hold my nose to this and be happy, but no, I'm lucky; I get to drink it. Taste is very full and rich. Pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice extremely tasty, this is hands down the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. I will definatly be back for more. Mouthfeel has lots of body but isn't over the top making it easily sessionable.

A wicked autumn brew, don't miss this one lads.

Slàinte!

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours from the longneck bottle a hazy, cloudy pumpkin orange with a big creamy, cragly head that continues to grow even as I let my glass sit here. Wow...just a massive frothy head that won't give up...biggest head of any pumpkin ale I've tried with sheets of lacing. There is a nice mashed pumpkin smell along with hints of cinammon, nutmeg and allspice. Reminds me of the fall and images of colorful fallen leaves.

First sip brings a nice sweet pumpkin upfront along with some cinnamon and spices. There's an interesting slighty sour astringent twang on the back of the palate. The pumpkin and spices balance each other out nicely here. Good pumpkin ale.

Mouthfeel is a tad bit thin for me and it's too overcarbonated. The carbonation causes and effervescent quality in my mouth that I'm not too fond of. Less carbonation and more body would make me happy. Pretty tasty overall...would be nice in the fall...I look forward to trying some more Kuhnhenn brews. Many thanks to marburg for the opportunity.

3.68/5  rDev -12%

Pours a hazy amber, little on lighter side, with a small off white head that falls quickly. Leaves some spotty lace.
Aroma is pumpkin mixed with malt and spices nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice touch of clove?
Taste is sweet lots pumpkin flavors mixed with spice, lightly sour flavors that mix with cloves, little strange almost like lime? Overall not a bad pumpkin beer diffrent then the rest just not what I was expecting.
Mouthfeel is a little light of medium not a bad feel to it.
Drinkability is ok but as I sit here drinking it the sour just seems more and more out of place, says best before Jan. but assuming on the 11th that it should still be good. Thanks to CRJMellor for this sample

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance – This one is very thick and hazy. It’s orange in color and has some light carbonation. The head came up beautifully and took some time to go down, leaving a nice rim of foam around the top of the liquid.

Smell – The nose is very spicy and the pumpkin is laid back. The cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice fill the nostrils.

Taste – This is good. I don’t care much for the Pumpkin Ales that stand heavy on the pumpkin, but this one clearly leans on the spices that I picked up in the smell. There are also some sharp citrus notes in here like lemon that really set it off from the rest of the pack. It’s easy to produce something clumsy with these specialized styles but this one is quite good.

Mouthfeel – This is really big in the mouth. It’s not full-bodied but much bigger than medium I’d say. Between the spices, sourness, and thick malts there’s a lot going on in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – Most assuredly the best Pumpkin Ale that I’ve had to date.

Comments – Thanks to skyhand for spreading the pumpkin love.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but this one is exceptionally good.

Pours out to a bronzish-orange in the glass with a slight head. Aroma is that of pie spice and baking bread. The taste is excellent. I swore I was eating a piece of pumpkin pie. The spices are present, but not overwhelming or cloying. I paired it up with grilled salmon and for some reason it worked very well. Unlike other beers of this style, I could've had another one.

Thanks to Tim (trbeer) for hooking me up with this one.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

was lucky enough to be the 1st one to get the 1st pull off the tap of the seasons 1st batch waited for 30 min. while they cleaned the lines so they could start serving this tonight.was told that they cook pie pumpkins and clean and put the meat into the mashwith other spices. pour a golden orange with a white head. aroma the normal pumpkin pie spices in just the right amounts nothing over powering a nice blend. the flavor the same. had a nicce smooth mouth feel. this is the best pumpkin beer I have had so far.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Seemed even better than the on-tap version. It may be my imagination, but it seems significantly darker than the draught brew. Still forms a nice off-white head that gives off a doozy of an aroma. Powered by all the usual spices -- nutmeg, quite notably. Exotic flowershop fragrances. Pumpkin pie beer. Still an incredibly tasty beer, but the sweetness, while still thick, is a slightly flatter version of its draught self. Makes it that much more drinkable. I had 3 during the Michigan-OSU game.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%

Have to agree with last review. In general, Pumpkin are just not my bag but overall this beer was really good.
Poured brown with hints of red and orange, very hazy and looked "chewy." Nice head with a hint of orange.
Started with a nice malty ale and they added the pumpkin. However, they did it was incredibly well done. Spices detected was cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and maybe a hint of apple ? In talking with one the brewers later he indicated they used real pumpkin in the beer which is amazing.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Impeccably balanced to taste like pumpkin pie, the kind I would imagine might be baked on a Vermont commune.
Generously sweet and decidedly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper (yeast), there is even a distinct image of buttery pie crust. The texture is smooth. The color is bronze/orange.
Fantastic. My favorite Pumpkin beer to date, though a little sugary to make it a staple brew.

Kuhnhenn All Hallows Ale from Kuhnhenn Brewing Company