Kuhnhenn All Hallows Ale - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn All Hallows AleKuhnhenn All Hallows Ale

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Pumpkin Ale |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: putnam on 11-02-2003)
4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

A perfect autumnal seasonal brew by the brothers Kuhnhenn.

Dangerously tasty. Pours a hazy deep amber in color with a fair off-white head that left only swirls as it fizzled down. Nose is powerful! Nutmeg and pumpkin, smells of pumpkin bread or spice cake. I could hold my nose to this and be happy, but no, I'm lucky; I get to drink it. Taste is very full and rich. Pumpkin pie, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice extremely tasty, this is hands down the best pumpkin beer I've ever had. I will definatly be back for more. Mouthfeel has lots of body but isn't over the top making it easily sessionable.

A wicked autumn brew, don't miss this one lads.

Slàinte!

Gaisgeil, Oct 17, 2005
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours from the longneck bottle a hazy, cloudy pumpkin orange with a big creamy, cragly head that continues to grow even as I let my glass sit here. Wow...just a massive frothy head that won't give up...biggest head of any pumpkin ale I've tried with sheets of lacing. There is a nice mashed pumpkin smell along with hints of cinammon, nutmeg and allspice. Reminds me of the fall and images of colorful fallen leaves.

First sip brings a nice sweet pumpkin upfront along with some cinnamon and spices. There's an interesting slighty sour astringent twang on the back of the palate. The pumpkin and spices balance each other out nicely here. Good pumpkin ale.

Mouthfeel is a tad bit thin for me and it's too overcarbonated. The carbonation causes and effervescent quality in my mouth that I'm not too fond of. Less carbonation and more body would make me happy. Pretty tasty overall...would be nice in the fall...I look forward to trying some more Kuhnhenn brews. Many thanks to marburg for the opportunity.

orbitalr0x, Feb 28, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a hazy amber, little on lighter side, with a small off white head that falls quickly. Leaves some spotty lace.
Aroma is pumpkin mixed with malt and spices nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice touch of clove?
Taste is sweet lots pumpkin flavors mixed with spice, lightly sour flavors that mix with cloves, little strange almost like lime? Overall not a bad pumpkin beer diffrent then the rest just not what I was expecting.
Mouthfeel is a little light of medium not a bad feel to it.
Drinkability is ok but as I sit here drinking it the sour just seems more and more out of place, says best before Jan. but assuming on the 11th that it should still be good. Thanks to CRJMellor for this sample

mntlover, Jan 11, 2005
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance – This one is very thick and hazy. It’s orange in color and has some light carbonation. The head came up beautifully and took some time to go down, leaving a nice rim of foam around the top of the liquid.

Smell – The nose is very spicy and the pumpkin is laid back. The cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and allspice fill the nostrils.

Taste – This is good. I don’t care much for the Pumpkin Ales that stand heavy on the pumpkin, but this one clearly leans on the spices that I picked up in the smell. There are also some sharp citrus notes in here like lemon that really set it off from the rest of the pack. It’s easy to produce something clumsy with these specialized styles but this one is quite good.

Mouthfeel – This is really big in the mouth. It’s not full-bodied but much bigger than medium I’d say. Between the spices, sourness, and thick malts there’s a lot going on in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – Most assuredly the best Pumpkin Ale that I’ve had to date.

Comments – Thanks to skyhand for spreading the pumpkin love.

RoyalT, Dec 17, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but this one is exceptionally good.

Pours out to a bronzish-orange in the glass with a slight head. Aroma is that of pie spice and baking bread. The taste is excellent. I swore I was eating a piece of pumpkin pie. The spices are present, but not overwhelming or cloying. I paired it up with grilled salmon and for some reason it worked very well. Unlike other beers of this style, I could've had another one.

Thanks to Tim (trbeer) for hooking me up with this one.

proc, Nov 08, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

was lucky enough to be the 1st one to get the 1st pull off the tap of the seasons 1st batch waited for 30 min. while they cleaned the lines so they could start serving this tonight.was told that they cook pie pumpkins and clean and put the meat into the mashwith other spices. pour a golden orange with a white head. aroma the normal pumpkin pie spices in just the right amounts nothing over powering a nice blend. the flavor the same. had a nicce smooth mouth feel. this is the best pumpkin beer I have had so far.

walleye, Oct 24, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Seemed even better than the on-tap version. It may be my imagination, but it seems significantly darker than the draught brew. Still forms a nice off-white head that gives off a doozy of an aroma. Powered by all the usual spices -- nutmeg, quite notably. Exotic flowershop fragrances. Pumpkin pie beer. Still an incredibly tasty beer, but the sweetness, while still thick, is a slightly flatter version of its draught self. Makes it that much more drinkable. I had 3 during the Michigan-OSU game.

marburg, Nov 24, 2003
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Have to agree with last review. In general, Pumpkin are just not my bag but overall this beer was really good.
Poured brown with hints of red and orange, very hazy and looked "chewy." Nice head with a hint of orange.
Started with a nice malty ale and they added the pumpkin. However, they did it was incredibly well done. Spices detected was cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and maybe a hint of apple ? In talking with one the brewers later he indicated they used real pumpkin in the beer which is amazing.

CRJMellor, Nov 24, 2003
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Impeccably balanced to taste like pumpkin pie, the kind I would imagine might be baked on a Vermont commune.
Generously sweet and decidedly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper (yeast), there is even a distinct image of buttery pie crust. The texture is smooth. The color is bronze/orange.
Fantastic. My favorite Pumpkin beer to date, though a little sugary to make it a staple brew.

putnam, Nov 02, 2003