Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%
2011 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Dark crimson with a 1/2 finger of tan head that fades to the perimeter after a few minutes.

Smell: Citrus, biscuity bread, strawberries, hops.

Taste: Biscuit like malt combines nicely with orange and some hops. This is a pleasure to drink for the abv. If I drank this blind and you told me it was 13.5 abv, I wouldn't believe you. Alcohol is masterfully hidden.

Mouthfeel: Not the most carbonated beer in the world but that's expected for the gravity.

Overall: Solid beer, would drink again. Looking forward to many more from Kuhnhenn.

PsilohsaiBiN, Feb 10, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2011 bottling poured into my Hill Farmstead tulip - thanks GraniteSkunk! A beer & brewery I was never sure I'd be able to try, and now I get to sample one of their finest!

A: Hazy dark opaque brown body - hardly any head at all on this beer, can't swirl anything up. Alcohol legs are present on the glass.

S: Caramel, sugary malt, toasted brown sugar, dark fruits (fig, raisin, possibly dates?). There are whiskey-like notes to the nose, not exactly 'barrel-aged' notes, but just suggestions of a whiskey-like character. Faint milk chocolate and ghost-like vanilla.

T: Follows the nose, epics amounts of caramel in this beer as one would expect from an Old Ale. Sweet without being cloying though, supremely drinkable really. Milk chocolate, toffee, figs and raisins, faint vanilla...this is good...a bit of heat is noticeable and balances the sweetness nicely.

MF: Slick, viscous mouthfeel with extremely low carbonation (the bottle hardly hissed when opened) - however it doesn't detract from the drinkability and really lets the flavors shine.

O: Probably the finest Old Ale I've tasted, and I'm not partial to this style. I wanted to kill the hype on this one if I could, but its well deserved. Really nice and drinkable, appears to be the perfect beer for barrel-aging IMO.

Thanks again GraniteSkunk, an awesome extra!

Scotchboy, Apr 01, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a dark chestnut in color. The beer is darker in color when I look through the side of my glass as not much is visible through it. When I look down on my beer from above it is much lighter in color and I can see the bottom of my glass. Not a lot of head on the pour. There is only a thin layer of bubbles collecting around the edges of my glass as the carbonation rises to the top.

S: The scent is sweet and syrupy like a fine rum. There is lots of toffee, caramel present with a slight hint of alcohol on the end.

T: The flavor is that of sugary sweet malt, with a heavy toffee presence. I can't put my finger on it but it tastes like some sort of sweet baked good.

M: A very smooth mouth on the beer, I almost want to describe it as "fluffy". Silky smooth with hardly any carbonation present. I am surprised that at 13.5% ABV there isn't more alcohol presence in the flavor or in the mouthfeel. I don't detect any alcohol bite on my tongue, but can feel my head getting warmer while I drink.

D: An enjoyable sipper that has all the characteristics of an easy drinking beer. I had no problem getting through the first six ounces of beer but have significantly slowed down since then. I will not have anything else besides water after I am done.

SiepJones, Jun 06, 2011

2008 vintage

Pouring this into my generic snifter it produced a ton of head. Half the glass filled with an off white, tight bubbled foam. Once the head subsided aromas of raisin, pear and yeast rose to meet me. For a high alcohol beer (over %11) only a slight amount of alcohol can be detected. They also covered the alcohol well in the taste. Flavors of port, more raisin notes, fresh apples and there was a very slight bit of smoke. On the tongue it has a spicy sharp bite on the taste buds and pleasant lingering after taste. This beer is a real treat and presents complex flavors in every sip.

brokenleadedcask, May 04, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

2007 edition, 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. Label says 12.5%.

A: Ruby red in color with hardly any head. There's just a few wisps of caramel colored bubbles that form a crown. There's no real lacing to speak of.

S: Overall, a pretty good smelling beer. The main smell I got was of apple cider with a little bit of alcohol. You'd be hard-pressed to tell me this wasn't an alcoholic cider actually.

T: This beer was sweeter than I had expected, and that's perhaps the only reason I'd knock it. The flavors are of caramel apples, strawberry jolly ranchers, There's some alcohol heat in it and a tad bit of bitterness that balance it out fairly well.

M: I love the low carbonation as it works really well here. There's a great smooth, velvety feel on the palate and a nice aftertaste.

D: This has great drinkability for a 12.5% beer. It was a sweet which limited my ability to consume a lot fast, but I definitely wanted more and more.

glazeman, Jan 04, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Kuhnhenn strikes again! It is nice to see the emergence of yet another fine Michigan brewery. Yet most importantly, this beer serves as an important challenger to a beer that has been held close to the hearts of Michiganders for many years.

The Fourth Dementia Olde Ale is truly the only worthy competition to Bell's Third Coast Old Ale I have tasted. Upon glancing at this ale, the drinker is met with its garnet hue. A deep whiff reveals its wonderful caramel nose. Not to be dissapointed, the flavors that emerge are right on par with what you would expect (hope for). Caramel, Graham cracker, fresh baked bread . . a bisquit/crystal nose that proves Kuhnhenn is a house run by those that love beer and respect the grains that contribute to these elixirs.

This beer is balanced delicately with a very clean neutral hop variety to lengthen its finish without overstating its malty qualities. Do not be confused . . . this beer is a malt afficionadoes beer. Pure, full and lingering. Yes hopheads (and I am one), malts have a wonderful vinous viscosity that we can re-experience in this beer.

Cheers!

kohoutek, Jun 08, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Fnally got my hands on this in a trade from bdberr. 12 oz bottle poured into a Weyerbacher tulip...

A - Rich and thick maroon color with some nice darker amber highlights when held to the light. No real head to speak of. The tiniest little eggshell white cap forms and recedes to basically nothing.

S - Rich and buttery aromas. Toffee, caramel, buttery, and some brown sugar. A bit of alcohol comes through along with the slightest bit of coffee. Really very inticing nose.

T - Strong and rich toffee, caramel and very sherry like. Nice dark sugar flavors with some chocolate and coffee at the end. Dark fruits come through as well; raisins, dates, etc. Ever so slight smokiness and/or tobacco flavors at the very end ofthe palate. Really stunning taste. I can only imagine how this one ages. Really reminds me of a nice sherry or port.

M - Slick mouthfeel. Very smooth and medium-heavy bodied. Not much alcohol heat coming through (although there is some there, don't get me wrong. Just not as much as I would have thought).

D - One ofthe best Old Ale's I have ever had. Quite an amazing sipper and the ABV doesn't hinder the enjoyment of this one at all. Cannot wait to try this again in a year or two. So worth the trade!

EDIT: This was the 2010 batch.

KAP1356, Feb 17, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

2009 bottle, ABV 12.5%. Appears to have been printed off on a home printer. I guess that doesn't matter...

Pours a barely translucent dark brown with a tan head. Looks good. Smells amazing. Raisin and other dark fruits darn near fill the room, deep, rich and earthy, this is one of my favorite old ale smells. Good start. Taste is very sweet with that nice sweet, thin front and a touch of hops/bitterness in the back for balance. Just recently had a JW Lees 88, 99 and 08 and this tastes a lot like a slightly better version of the 99 I had. The sweetness here is aggressive and not as off putting as the Lees 99. That said, this beer is very, very similar. What I don't get is that essence of ham that sometimes comes up in the JW Lees for me, and for me, that makes this a winner. Mouthfeel is somehow thinner than what the sticky sweetness eludes to. If it were any thicker (it's still medium-heavy), the sweetness would cover the tongue and be offensive. So while thinner than expected, this is actually welcome. Overall, this beer is not exactly what I was expecting, but I am impressed that this tastes very similar to a beer aged 12 years, and yet comes off more drinkable and enjoyable. If it weren't so sweet, it would be phenomenal. Barely a touch of alcohol, which is very impressive.

seeswo, Mar 26, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle picked up for my by kkulacki (thanks, Konrad) at the Winter Solstice Party. Pours deep blood red and dark with a short white head and big long lacing. Smells like cherry cough syrup, blackberries, hazlenut, hints of coffee, ethanol, strong malts. A pretty amazing come-hither odor. The flavor is cough syrup-forward, with hints of cherries. Body and finish are a much more inviting bland of cherry and chocolate with smokey, almost milky malts. Alcohol storng but not overpowering. Some phenolic qualities, and a hint of bitterness. Trends towards a beer liquor. Comparison to cough syrup hard to shed and i wish that flavor were less pronounced. Thick and full-bodied. Sticky and lip-smacking. Almost chewy. Overall, its a great beer, crazy and expertly crafted. The flavor is not as refined as i remember it being from tastes in the past, but i think perhaps its just too young. Luckily i have a second botttle(!) which will be aged 6-12 mos.

aforbes10, Jan 09, 2008

12oz Bottle

2007 Bottling

A big thanks goes out to hoppymeal for this brew among many others, thanks Derek! There's nothing like an old ale to celebrate the first snow of the season. Fourth Dementia's body is the darkest of reds, that red that borders on black and is deep mahogany when a little light gets to it. I can't see any carbonation through the glass when backlit, the beer looks perfectly still. I had to pour hard to get a head but when it finally started forming it was well worth it. Two fingers of beige creaminess sit atop the body and slowly falls to a thick cap leaving insanely sticky lacing all over the glass. The head sticks around forever and makes for a great looking brew.

The nose is loaded with malty goodness. Deeply toasted grains and brown sugar lay down the big malty base. Coca-Cola, Bing cherries, blackberries, and golden raisins all take place in the aroma in that order exactly. Faint whiffs of vanilla and lightly toasted wood pop up here and there. Alcohol comes through with some spiciness. The nose on this old ale is deeply complex and needs time to open up to get all the perks.

Damn! The flavor is just as malty intense as the nose led on. Caramel, brown sugar, and toasted grains all come through in a big way. That sticky sweetness segues directly into the Coca-cola, cherry and blackberry middle. The finish is somewhat peppery and boozy warm which adds more depth and character. The moderate alcohol heat never gets in the way of this brew and it just wouldn't feel right if there were any less heat.

The mouthfeel is right where it should be. Each drink coats the tongue and cheeks with a sticky sweetness that never becomes cloying but in fact disappears not long after the swallow. The carbonation is a little livelier than I expected, which isn't saying much with the still look on the pour.

This beer is big and complex so it's a sipper without a doubt but it goes down especially easy. I take drink after drink trying to pull out all the intricacies of this beer until I realize it's almost gone.

My first sampling of Fourth Dementia was the bourbon barrel aged version, it was fantastic and this one isn't far behind. One of the best of the style I have sampled to date. Thanks for the bottle Derek!

joe1510, Nov 10, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Huge thanks goes out to my man Derek (hoppymeal) for sending me this Kuhnhenn delight to have for the night before my CPA exam. Split with CoolJosh into two snifters.

A: Opens with a nice hiss and the usual smoke that comes out of the bottle. Poured prudently into the bottom of the snifter. Pours with a nice two finger tan head that lasts the whole glass. For an old ale to have a head like this is just absurd. The color is a nice dark brown with ruby hues.

S: The smell reminds me of their triple bock mixed with american barleywine. Great sweet caramel and toffee blended with some sour milk, chocolate, and some prunes and figs. Some herbal and grassy notes also come out.

T: Very interesting and simultaneously tasty. Reminds me of Bell's eccentric ale. Odd how everything that this reminds me of was also sent by Derek (Eccentric and Kuhnhenn Triple Bock). The milkiness, toffee and caramel are sublime.

M/D: The carbonation is a tad high for an old ale. A little lower and it would be perfect!

Overall, this was the perfect beer for a cold PA night Thanks Derek.

treyrab, Nov 28, 2009

12 oz bottle courtesy of Gaisgeil

Pours a dull ruby brown with no head or lacing. Not much carbonation in this one.

Smell is pretty darn complex. Loads of dark ripe fruits (rasins, dates, figs), molasses, rum, toffee, slight chocolate aroma, definitely wine like and quite a bit of alcohol in the nose.

Taste is also very fruity (same as above), molasses is present, as are caramel, toffee, chocolate, a rum like character, a slight hoppiness, and a very nice alcohol warming sensation as this one goes down (sensation is almost on par with bourbon whiskey). A bit wine-like in flavor, but not nearly as much as it is in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is good, it's not nearly as flat as I originally thought it was when I poured it into the glass. It coats the tongue and the alcohol warming sensation is quite nice.

Overall...a very very good old ale, something that I could definitely have again.

LuckySevens82, May 25, 2005
4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1767th Review on BA
Bottle to Kuhnhenn Tulip
12oz

2011 Bottle

App- A turbid looking mix of browns, reds and purples. A bit muddled with a small 1 finger head. A bit dense and more along the lines of a stout mixed with an old ale. Not the most inviting color. A little bit of cling as it slides down the glass.

Smell- A lot of dark fruits and sugars on this one. More brown sugar and plums that I would have thought. I think time has mellowed this one out. The alcohol was a bit whispy still but not overpowering. A bit of oak and vanilla on a big whiff of this one.

Taste- This was more of a thicker tasting dark fruits leaning quad like flavor vs. old ale to me. I like the balance of flavors on it with the oak and vanilla balancing out the sweetness and the alcohols. Semi sweet with a bit of a bite on the finish from the alcohol.

Mouth- A medium body that almost borders on full with a medium thick carbonation. A bit of the residual sweetness remains and a bit of the vanilla and fruits as well. Some oak on a lip smack as well.

Drink- I thought it was tasty. I prefer the Bruery Anniversary Old ale offerings and the barrel aged 4D but this was very good.

FosterJM, May 26, 2013
4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Served in an over-sized wine glass (La Trappe signature glass).

Appearance: A really dark almost opaque hazy brown. What kills me is the head, there is none. I can tell just by appearance this brew might lack carbonation. Head for what is is maybe 1/10', light tan.

Smell: Strong burnt brown sugar scent that is more aroma than anything else...it hovers your nose like heat to a flame.

Taste: What a strong alcohol taste this beer has granted the ABV level is well above average. Heavy molasses feel which makes you feel sweetness makes you think this beer was aged in bourbon barrels.

Mouth: Light carbonation and when it comes to an old ale I was expecting a little more, as far as stickiness is concerned this brew sticks like moth to a light. I put it down and pairing it with sharp cheddar cheese it just doesn't leave. Flat somewhat sticky very and for that I won't hate on quality.

Overall: Would I buy this again, I know the mouth feel isn't what it is supposed to be but this is a quality brew. it improves literally after every sip. Can't remember how much it costs, but F' it you only live once. Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Feb 18, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Trade from deyholla. Need to send him another box for these beasts. Bottle says Winter Solstice 2010, but also 2007 on the bottle. I am assuming this is the 2007 sold at the 2010 party. Got some age for sure. Poured Feb 16, 2013. Pours murky brown with no head. Aroma is sweet dark fruits and a bit of bourbon and slight vanilla (though this is not the BB version). Very sweet fig, cherry and grape flavor. Bit of caramel and some booze. Pretty thick mouthfeel. Nice beer, though on the sweet side.

Got my hands on a fresher bottle at a tasting on 8/2/14. Same look. Aroma is a nutty caramel malt, brown sugar, yum. Flavor follows with big molasses and brown sugar, caramel, and definite hazelnut or pecan/praline notes on the finish that really make this beer. A big beer but so yummy it goes down easy. This is awesome...I guess aging it for 6+ years is too much. Just fine as is when you buy it. Oh yea.

BMMillsy, Feb 17, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage into Kuhnhenn snifter

Pour: Copper brown with ruby highlights. Head tried to form but ultimately failed.

Smell: Dark fruits, (figs, dates, raisins), toffee, caramel and brown sugar...just a big sweet forward beer. This regular version is much fruitier than the BB version and does not have a note of alcohol at all.

Taste: Dark fruits up first. Huge taste of figs, raisins, plums and dates that seem to be covered with caramelized brown sugar. Again very sweet and toffee like with a slight alcohol burn. I find this regular 4D to have a tart taste in the back end and through the finish. A very nice warming sensation from this one.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous. Covers all areas of the palate with sticky sweetness. The sweetness is even found on the lips after sipping. Light carbonation.

Overall: Not as mind blowing as the BB4D was to me but wow is this beer put together to perfection. This is like a spirit sipper for sure. Sweet, complex and decadent!

Thanks Ryan, rpbuckeye!

sleuthdog, Aug 16, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to Gaisgeil for this one of many fine brews.
Pours a dark brown w/ very little light passing thru...less than a 1/4 finger of tan head forms and very little thin lace.
Aroma is rum raisins...add in some vanilla and some malt sweetness. Nothing over the top, but very inviting.
Taste is a burst of raisins...reminding me of an English style barleywine at first, but a hint of smoked flavor makes its way through w/ warming. Alcohol is detected, but well masked for the most part.
Maybe a touch too sweet, but that only affects the drinkablilty, and not the overall enjoyment of the pint.
Mouthfeel is quite thick and is just a touch bitter in its finish.
I have had only a handful from this style and I can see why so many seek out this particular brew...I have one other (thanks to Eyedrinkale) and will age it for a couple years. At that time, this one will be up there w/ the likes of Thomas Hardy.

warriorsoul, Jul 19, 2005
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap @ GTOM

This was another one of my 'must try multiples of' beers. But, I only got one, but dude filled mine to the top.

In the sun, it's a brown looking ale with red highlights. Some head, but it's gone in a flash.

Smells like a Christmas fruit cake! Tastes like it too, but I'm getting hints of truffle, caramel and oak as well. It goes down fairly smooth. Makes me long for the holidays and cooler weather.

I had about 3.5oz in my serving and I was sated. Fantastic stuff and would love to spend 90 minutes with a full 12oz one day.

rudylaw, Aug 10, 2009
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Had a small glass at the Stag's Head. I had a couple other nice beers at the Stag, but man this one stood out. It wasn't overly thick and there's was no knock of alcohol. The flavor was a rich mix of dates, raisins, caramel, and cocoa. There were mild hints of toffee, cola, and grapefruit hops to round this out, making for a fantastic dessert beer.

tempest, Sep 05, 2011
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Craig & or Wes for this fine Michigan beer.

Poured into an Oerbier tulip, 4th D glows a ruby-copper color with a sticky layer of foam across the top. Some dried papaya/pineapple throwing off fruity esters in the aroma. Something rich and earthy underneath, a sticky sweet caramel toffee that carries over to the taste. Very rich and boozy, yet this is my favorite vintage so far in terms of balance. A warm blanket of dried fruits and rich maltiness. The alcohol is pretty well integrated, by now you know this is a slow sipper. More than one, and you'll be on the floor... also cigar-worthy if thats your thing.

emerge077, Nov 15, 2009
4.28/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle poured into a Bruery tulip. 12.5 % ABV, 2009.

I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of this at Martha's Vineyard for $5.99 in Grand Rapids last year. Thanks to sweemzander for showing me around town!

A - The dark bronzed cherry mahogany color is tainted by a subtle cloudiness while the tall pour creates almost no head. A ring of tan foam still leaves lace though.

S - Sticky caramel malt sweetness battles dusty old basement throughout the aroma. Warm ethanol alcohol is fairly strong in the background. Faint hoppiness provides minuscule balance. A swirl dissolves toffee into candied plum while hints of raisin bread come into play. Complex and subtle.

T - A unique departure from the nose, Fourth Dementia is still strong with abundantly sweet caramel malt, candied plum, and raisin, topped by a mildly spicy, bitter touch of hops on the finish. Dry mocha reminds of the old basement once again. A little more pronounced and bold than the nose.

M - Warm alcohol doesn't affect the taste negatively and that goes for the mouthfeel also. Warm and soft, there is no burning, in fact, it's barely there altogether. Sweet all over with some mild dryness to the finish, the smooth, medium body is very nice.

D - Kuhnhenn does a fantastic job with alcohol involvement (or lack of) and it shows in this brew. No unpleasantness at all, this goes down very well, sip after sip. I wouldn't call it very drinkable, but as high ABV as this is, it's very nice.

BeerFMAndy, Feb 21, 2011
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Bottled 8-1-04. The bottle also read 11% ABV. This beer poured thick like deep red maple syrup. It left the thinnest whisper of a head that never went away. It smelled rich, sweet and malty with a hint of smoke/peat. This is old ale at its best. A small taste just lingers with a trifecta of hops, alcohol and rich maltiness in perfect balance. It is so good that it took me almost an hour and half to sip. You must let this one warm up to almost room temperature to get the full range and depth of flavors. Thanks to BuckeyeNation for this excellent brew.

lou91, Oct 04, 2005
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is dark red and poured with virtually no head.
S: Hints of cherries are present in the aroma.
T: The beer tastes strong with notes of cherry flavors and malty sweetness along with hints of alcohol.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a light amount of carbonation.
O: This beer goes down very easily considering its strength.

metter98, Dec 17, 2011
4.28/5  rDev 0%

2010 bottling with perhaps an undercrimped silver cap that is somewhat odd in appearance.

The look is clear deep crimson with bubbles struggling to push their way to the surface through the thickness that engulfs them. A small head arose and paused for just a moment before crumbling into the 4th Dementia. Fingers of lace deliciously soil the glass.

The nose is sweet and crusty with dark fruit aspects of plumb and raisin with caramel and slightly singed brown sugar and scorched red tootsie pops not far underneath.

The flavor is rich with the dark fruit aspects that are evident in the nose. Faint black cherry and more pronounced plumb flavors ride atop a candy like sweetness that is trimmed every so perfectly with a little alcohol to squelch any cloying aspects and round out the palate. This is an absolute delight to drink. It remains enjoyable and never becomes a burden to endure even with all of its might.

The mouthfeel is heavy with a thickness that is artfully cut by alcohol to leave an excellent impression in the finish without becoming overwhelming.

Overall, this olde ale from the Kuhnhenn clan is miles better than anticipated by this reviewer. To expect greatness and have an experience that exceeds greatness is a wonderful thing. This is a very fine recipe, and despite the seating of the cap having a precarious look to it, the joy inside is fully intact and amazing. This is an olde ale that begs to be revisited.

SupaCelt, Apr 12, 2011
4.28/5  rDev 0%

BIG props to friend BA abanton. Adam and I met at FoBab, and he sent me a box a week later with some goodies in it. Thanks man! 2010 Vintage, poured from bottle into Founder's Snifter (keep it in MI)

Appearance: Vigorous pour reveals a rather chestnut brown color with a beautiful 2 finger head, dissipating slowly, leaving some nice sticky looking lacing running down the glass.

Smell: The smell is awesome. The glass is brimming with aromas of vanilla, dark ripe fruit, caramel, and toffee. Big molasses and maple syrup with some bright cherry notes lingering in the background.

Taste: Wow, complex stuff. Really has alot going on. It's very sweet, with more of the molasses and caramel coming through...It's almost drying how sweet it is. Very malt foward, with that sweet malt providing alot of body, with some mild vanilla and smoke coming through.

Mouth: This is a sticky sweet ale. I'm not going to fault the beer for that, but it truly his a mouthful. True to style, minimal carbonation, sweet character.

Drink and overall: Definitely very drinkable for being such a high ABV. The alcohol is hidden well. It's extremely well crafted, and fairly well rounded. Probably the best Old Ale I have had in a very long time.

MarcatGSB, Dec 01, 2011