2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D) - Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia (4D)

Kuhnhenn Brewing Company visit their website

Old Ale |  13.50% ABV

Previously Fourth Dementia

2009 11.8%
2010 13.5%

(Beer added by: marburg on 05-06-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 809 | Reviews: 436 | Show All Ratings:
kmpitz2

Tennessee

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to Eyedrinkale.

It pours a nice ruby-laced dark brown color with a small head that falls to nicely ring the top of the beer. Nice color. The nose is spicey alcohol-soaked raisins coated in brown sugar. The spicey alcohol really plays well in there. Smells really nice. The flavor is very nice and balanced. I get a deeper flavor than the nose suggested. Dark brown sugar and raisin, with just a puff of alcohol and spices. The alcohol is only slightly present to let you know that it is there. I'm a fan of how everything plays well with each other flavor. The feel is great, with a very thick, almost syrupy feel. It coats my mouth and throat as I swallow the beer. The carbonation is minimal. Drinkability is huge. I am very imressed with this brew. It is very smooth and easily drinking. A fine, fine beer. Seek it, drink it, love it.

Serving type: growler

06-05-2005 02:09:44 | More by kmpitz2
rlee1390

Indiana

A-Clear ruby amber, not much carbonation one finger off white head

S-Malt heavy, caramel, dark fruits and raisins.

T-Very sweet with caramel and molasses, lots of dark fruits. Balance is slightly off

M-Medium to heavy not much carbonation

O-Was expecting a lot better, glad I was able to try it but was not my cup of tea.

04-11-2014 19:23:41 | More by rlee1390
ThickNStout

Georgia

4.61/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from IAmJacksHopTongue (much apprecitaed!). 2013 bottling. Served in a Bruery snifter.

Pours an opaque chestnut with a minimal cap of pale head. Trace bubbles remain around the edges without leaving any lace to speak of.

Smells akin to a nice port. Dark fruit, caramel, toast and a faine wine-like alcohol note. Nice.

Taste follows the nose. Raisin, fig, caramel, burnt brown sugar, tawny port, toasted marshmallow, earthy vanilla and a little booze. A splendid ensemble of old ale flavors that goes down dangerously easily for it's 13.5% abv.

Body is medium heavy and syrupy with light carbonation. A pleasant port, caramel and toasted marshmallow finish.

This is an outstanding old ale. Such richness and complexity set it well above most other examples of the style that I've encountered. This is a beer worth hoarding to enjoy over many years. Very highly recommended.

04-01-2014 12:30:18 | More by ThickNStout
Stevedore

Wisconsin

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle of the 2013 Winter Solstice release; poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass alongside the 2013 Bourbon-barrel aged version in a separate glass, today, 1/15/2014.

Pours a fairly standard dark brown body with a fluffy tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. Looks like a barleywine, really. Nothing out of the ordinary. Lacing is non-existent.

Smells very sweet- lots of caramel, toffee and dark fruits- even more interesting than BB4D which is a beer where the barrel vanilla dominates so much- and is even a little more complex. Still, I am missing the vanilla even though I enjoy the complexity and intensity of this beer.

Flavourwise, very sweet- lots of toffee, butterscotch and molasses, which isn't cut by the oak and vanilla of the BB4D which kind of takes away from my experience with this beer. Still complex with a lot going on; I can see why some people prefer this to BB4D. I'm not one of these people, however.

Medium to full bodied, well carbonated and slick. Not terribly difficult to drink. Aftertaste is mostly a dark fruity butterscotch flavour; different than the BB4D.

BB4D is definitely a better choice than regular 4D; given it was only a dollar more, I wouldn't bother with 4D; but 4D is a great beer in its own right so if you have the option to get it alongside BB4D, I would definitely recommend taking it. I can see why some people prefer the 4D to the BB4D.

01-16-2014 06:00:24 | More by Stevedore
StoutHunter

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Kuhnhenn's Fourth Dementia 4D as an awesome birthday present from my friend Ben. I'm a big Kuhnhenn fan but since they are still a pretty small operation I only see their beers at Beer Festivals or at some of the better bars and I don't get a chance to try their beers as much as I would like to, but I've been wanting to try 4D ever since I first found out about Kuhnhenn, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage, 13.5%. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A= The label looks pretty nice, it's just got a fancy and classy look to it with some shiny gold 4D on the label, it's the best Kuhnhenn label I've seen since most of them look like they printed on a standard computers printer. It poured a pretty cloudy and murky brown color that didn't let much light through and it looked even murkier when held to the light with a half of fingers worth of tan/off white head that quickly faded away to nothing and it left a really small amount of spotty lacing behind. This isn't the greatest looking beer, just by looking at it in the glass it isn't that attractive, but it's not so bad looking I wouldn't give it a try, I don't think any beer can look that bad.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses aroma to it followed by loads of malts being the first to show up and they impart some great caramel and toffee aromas with a pretty good amount of dark fruits showing up next with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a sweet and noticeable boozy aroma followed by a little bit of roasted malts on the finish that give this beer a rich, lightly roasted and light chocolate like aroma and there's also a light leather like aroma. This beer has a very nice aroma, I think it's fairly complex and I thought the different aspects worked well with each other.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness which seems to be on the lower side, it's not cloying and imparts a slight molasses like flavor followed by some great caramel and toffee flavors with an equal amount of dark fruits that show up also with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a slight leather flavor with a pretty light alcohol flavor that is very well hidden and it's not nearly as boozy as I thought it would be. Towards the end comes a light tobacco like flavor with some roasted malts showing up at the end with a light chocolate flavor and a lower amount of bitterness with a caramel, toffee, dark fruit, and light roasted malt aftertaste. This was a very good tasting beer that was pretty complex with some expertly hidden alcohol.

M- Fairly smooth, a little sticky, pretty rich, a little creamy, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation that worked nicely with this beer. This beer had a very good mouthfeel that was pretty much perfect for this beer.

Overall I thought this was very good beer and very good example of an Old Ale, Bell's Third Coast Old Ale was my favorite Old Ale, but I have to say after trying this I think 4D blows it out of the water, not that Third Coast Old Ale isn't great, 4D is just pretty much better in every aspect besides price and it's just a more intense and complex version of Old Ale that is just as smooth, maybe even smoother than Third Coast Old Ale which blows my mind. This beer had great drinkability, the 13.5 wasn't nearly as noticeable as I thought it would be, it was fairly smooth, complex, rich, a little sticky, pretty filling, and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I think one bottle would be the perfect amount for me and if I had the chance I would could probably drink two, but I'm sure i would be feeling it in the morning. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, it seriously blew my mind that a 13.5% Old Ale could be this smooth, I'm very impressed by that and I thought the taste was awesome. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it just isn't a good looking, which overall isn't that big of a deal and I learned a while ago to never judge a beer on it's looks. I would for sure buy this beer if I ever saw it for sale, it's pretty pricey but I think it's worth it and it makes for a nice beer for a special occasions. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone who likes Old Ales or big beers in general, I don't think this will disappoint. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I expected good things from this beer but all together it exceeded my expectations and I think it's an overall great beer and I would love to try the barrel aged version of this one day and I'm pretty sure this would be a great beer to cellar and I think it could get even better with time. Great work guys, I think the Kuhnhenns are simply the best at what they do and this is a world class beer, keep up the great work guys.

01-12-2014 20:27:30 | More by StoutHunter
Jeffo

Netherlands

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

My dad picked this up for me while in MI a while back. Thanks pops!

From a bottle into a snifter

APPEARANCE: A muddy, opaque brown pour is actually kind of gross looking. A slight wisp with lousy retention vanishes over a muddy brown body with no real carbonation. Kinda ugly and looks basically flat by the end.

SMELL: Bold nose with lots of toffee, caramel, dark fruits, leather aromas and a good dose of alcohol. Dark chocolate comes out as it warms as well. Really nice.

TASTE: Toffee and leather up front with lots of caramel and sweet dark fruits at the swallow. Bold and lingering finish is very sweet with some bitter chocolate, leather and tobacco flavors acting as balance to the sweet toffee and fruit flavors. Some spicy alcohol provide a nice base as well. Very nice, and not nearly as boozy as expected.

PALATE: Medium-full body with medium levels of carbonation, surprisingly enough. Semi-creamy on the palate, goes down with a bit of a scratch and finishes rather sticky. Solid feel.

OVERALL: Excellent stuff! The look was awful, but the rest of the experience was top notch. Lots of complex and bold aromas and flavors with a hefty feel to support it all. Definitely something worth checking out if you get the chance. Thanks again dad. Recommended.

01-06-2014 12:23:34 | More by Jeffo
mmapes

Colorado

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Big thanks to Andrew for the trade. We opened a 2012 vintage.

Pours cloudy, murky brown. Smells of whiskey, carmel. Smells sweet - very sweet, some molasses.

First impression: sweet! Lingering finish has an herbal quality. Medicinal? Very hot. Probably needs to warm up before we can say more definitively what the taste will be.

Later sips: the herbal component stays in the back. The sweetness stays forward. Probably less balanced and interesting than my favorite Old Stock, but pretty good. Up my alley.

Nice thick mouthfeel coats the tongue.

01-03-2014 00:49:18 | More by mmapes
dar482

4.04/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The beer comes in a dark brown with a bit of a head.

The aroma has sweet caramel, toffee, toasty malt, lots of deep brown sweetness along with some umami in the end.

The flavor follows again with lots of toffee and brown sugar. Toasty malt. Tons of umami and molasses as well.

The mouthfeel is quite creamy on the medium to heavy mouthfeel.

This is a lovely sweet beer.

11-18-2013 01:58:03 | More by dar482
CaptCleveland

4.51/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle from 2011, poured into snifter.

Ruby-black, nearly opaque, elixir, thin tan rim, no lacing.

Incredible aroma of toffee, caramel, dark fruits, hint of malt sweetness.

Starts with fig, prune, dark fruits, some sweet caramel at the back end, then a nice smooth sugar, plum aftertaste. Delightful.

Thick, full body, but smooth with the feel of a nicely aged dark fruit shake.

One of the best non-BA old ales I have had the pleasure to consume. A wonderful sipper on nice fall evening. Well done.

10-17-2013 01:30:28 | More by CaptCleveland
TerryW

2.48/5  rDev -42.1%

Sorry, but I'm not understanding the raves here. I guess I just simply don't appreciate the style. If I had to briefly sum up I'd have to call this boozy liquid black licorice. Quite extreme in its approach.

However, does look quite good. Dark walnut under a moderate head that settles to a heavy film and provides lots of spotty lace.

Nose is immediately sweet and heavy with dark fruit, treacle, alcohol. Smells syrupy.

Pow! Sugar, sugar, sugar to taste. Lots of other stuff there - dark fruit, licorice, charcoal - but just so aggressively sweet as to be unbearable. Alcohol is noticeably present making this a warming drink and bearable from that perspective at least. Full and sticky mouth feel.

Too out there for my palate, just far too syrupy. Stupid sweet. Ick.

10-13-2013 23:54:03 | More by TerryW
MusicaleMike

4.41/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a balloon glass. The body is a deep, dark mahogany, verging on opaque. The head is a pillowy, two finger thick, tan foam that has excellent retention. Tiny bubbles. Very lasting, which is surprising for a beer that has such a high alcohol content. Some lacing.

Ripe pineapple is the first thing that came to mind in the aroma. It has a rich, malty sweetness, but a certain tartness/acidity in the aroma which I find desirable in an olde ale. Sherry-like. As it warms, notes of fig emerge.

Taste is bold, explosive. Alcohol and rich caramel malts intertwine, with a balancing bitterness and sweet, vinous finish. Carbonation is excellent and absolutely perfect for helping to lighten the body of this massive beer. Full bodied. Sticky. Nutty, toffee-like aftertaste.

This is a great olde ale. With a perfect appearance, and an excellent aroma, with an equally complex flavor, and active carbonation that serves this beer well, it may be the best in the style I've ever had. Would love to see what additional aging could bring to this beer.

09-09-2013 06:07:26 | More by MusicaleMike
sleuthdog

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage into Kuhnhenn snifter

Pour: Copper brown with ruby highlights. Head tried to form but ultimately failed.

Smell: Dark fruits, (figs, dates, raisins), toffee, caramel and brown sugar...just a big sweet forward beer. This regular version is much fruitier than the BB version and does not have a note of alcohol at all.

Taste: Dark fruits up first. Huge taste of figs, raisins, plums and dates that seem to be covered with caramelized brown sugar. Again very sweet and toffee like with a slight alcohol burn. I find this regular 4D to have a tart taste in the back end and through the finish. A very nice warming sensation from this one.

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous. Covers all areas of the palate with sticky sweetness. The sweetness is even found on the lips after sipping. Light carbonation.

Overall: Not as mind blowing as the BB4D was to me but wow is this beer put together to perfection. This is like a spirit sipper for sure. Sweet, complex and decadent!

Thanks Ryan, rpbuckeye!

08-16-2013 00:46:45 | More by sleuthdog
joemcgrath27

Alberta (Canada)

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

big ups to andrenaline for including this in our last trade
A - swampy brown, thin layer of consistent head, left nicely consistent lacing
S - raisins, molasses, light hints of pears and herbs, not even a tickle of the high octane
T - juicy rasins and plumbs, molasses and butter, sticky sweet to the last drop with just a faint hint of alcohol in the late finish
M - thick and sticky sweet, you would never guess its a 13.5% behemoth, just a little warmth in the chest
O - this is just unbelievable, sweet and delicious and drinkable to the point of being very dangerous, i would love to get my hands on another

08-14-2013 03:59:07 | More by joemcgrath27
BGDrock

4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: no head (might be the glass though), foggy dark brown like an americano

Aroma: fascinating, mystifying - raisin, prune, rich complex port; just beautiful!; perfume - slightly floral, over-ripe fruit like apple that's gone brown and rinkled (in a good way)

Taste & Mouthfeel: thick and oily; burnt caramel of the deepest kind, vanilla - like a more intense creme brulee; just a hint of burn in the finish - which goes on for days with simmered dark fruit flavour; hints of coffee bitterness; over time the alcohol becomes more prominent, as well as chocolate, coffee, burnt flavours, but still masterfully balanced with fruit and caramel

Overall: love when a beer has a undefinable, complex flavour that keeps you coming back for more, trying to reason what makes it so good - this is that and more; a must have and probably great aged a few years

08-11-2013 17:10:19 | More by BGDrock
GonzoHomebrewer

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011, poured into a KtG tulip

A- viscous ruby/mahogany/dark brown pour with a hint of a head that dissipates quickly into a ring around the class. inviting

S- toffee, fig, dark fruit, maybe some graham cracker? I dunno, there's a lot going on, smells sweet and decadent

T- Somehow even richer on the palette. toffee, burnt marshmallow, brown sugar, decadent.

M- thick, almost cloyingly syrupy, could use some more carb to be just a touch less sticky, great nonetheless and goes with the decadent vibe of the brew

O- if this wasn't so sticky, I'd say I could drink this anytime, but I'm wishing I had saved it for a cold winter rather than a cooler summer eve. Decadent brew that is worth seeking out

07-30-2013 03:15:02 | More by GonzoHomebrewer
Alextricity

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had on tap at the Kuhnhenn Brewery as part of a paddle. '11 Vintage.

Appearance: Somewhat like the BB4D, but with a more reddish hue, and -- surprisingly -- a somewhat smaller head. Given the ABV, this is actually a great looking beer. There's even a little bit of lacing, too.

Smell: Sweet. The BB4D has a chocolate note, and I suppose this has a trace of it as well, but it's less pronounced. This regular 4D has a fruitier aroma, and there's no alcohol in that aroma at all.

Taste: Like the smell, sweet... cherry sort of aromas here, with plenty of malt. There's a decent bitterness in there so it's not all fruity sweetness, but it's definitely a sweeter brew. Dark fruits and malts own this beer. A bit of warmth on the swallow lets you know that this is a high ABV beer, but it doesn't come through in the taste. I like the aroma on this one a bit more than the BB4D version.

I'm no doubt in the minority, but I prefer this one to the bourbon barrel version. It's not by a huge margin, but it's still there. The bourbon barrel may mellow the beer out a tad, but it also takes away notes that this '11 4D had... and that I really enjoyed. This 4D had an inexplicable certain "bite" in the flavor (and I don't mean alcohol) that really intrigued me. This is an excellent beer that must be tried if it can be found.

06-29-2013 02:15:59 | More by Alextricity
trxxpaxxs

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to northyorksammy for this bottle...

A: Pours a deep brown with only a faint khaki colored head. The foam fades quickly leaving only the tiniest of bubble rings along the edges of the glass. The beer has great legs and no lacing.

S: The nose is caramel, malt, raisin, plum, mild spice, and alcohol. It smells perfect for the style. I'm looking forward to this.

T: Right off the bat I get caramel, raisins, and cinnamon. As it moves to the middle, the alcohol begin to show as is mixes with stone fruits and nutmeg. There is a lot more spice in this beer than I would have imagined. The finish is mild spice, caramel, raisin, vanilla, and alcohol.

M: Full bodied beer. It syrupy and sticky from start to finish. The beer coats the palate and refuses to shift off. Totally cloying and sweet, with great residual flavors.

O: Great beer. I actually think I enjoyed this one more than the barrel aged versions. The caramel fruit and spice are more pronounced in this beer, where some of the subtleties get lost in the Barrel Aged version. Really nice. Would drink again/10.

06-28-2013 14:01:00 | More by trxxpaxxs
vonnegut21

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

2011 vintage poured into a tulip.

A: Deep black pour, slight tan head. Minimal lacing.

S: Lots of fig and raisin. Caramel and brown sugar notes linger. Lots of dark winter fruit character. Very nice.

T: HUGE fig, raisin and plum presence on the first sip. Caramelized brown sugar, molasses and slight roasted chocolate flavors follow. This has almost a port wine character to it. Very warming. A big ol' fig bomb. I need one of these on a cold winter night. Delightful.

M: Thick and viscous. Coats the tongue and provide a nice touch of warmth.

O: This was just excellent. I'm sure it's great fresh as well, but I think the two years in the cellar really took this one up a level. Quite possibly my favorite old ale. I can't wait to crack the BB4D sitting in my fridge. I don't think that one is making it until cold weather returns...

06-17-2013 14:44:05 | More by vonnegut21
biegaman

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage tasted 17/6/13 (13.5%)

Let us assume that Kuhnhenn Fourth Dementia is indeed the product of some alternative universe, one where flatness, sludgy murkiness and muddy brown colouring are considered aesthetic qualities for a beer to have. In the eyes of that world it would be a model beer... but in this one it looks like something you'd unclog from your bathroom sink.

Just smelling 4D you'd want to have some tissue on hand in case it sticks to and hangs off your nose; its aroma comes across incredibly resinous and viscous. It's as if the brewery covered tree bark in a hard caramel coating and smeared figs and bruised plums across it. The glass smells as though it's been glazed in some kind of anise seed wax.

Persistence in trying to pick out more and more from the aroma might result a headache - it's that intense - but sipping the beer is a sweet and sublime exercise in relaxation. Vanilla candle and caramel flavours really come to the fore along with all kinds of Christmas-cake dried fruits and spices. The musty oak barrel notes crumble into a chocolate and port-like finish.

High alcohol may give the beer sherry-like undertones but a near chewy maltiness provides enough body in the form of dark toffee and chocolate-covered wafers. A bleached-out, long-steeped English Breakfast bitterness mingles with figs, dates and plum pudding on the finish. The earthy, bittersweet profile is reminiscent of a strong chestnut honey.

4D doesn't have to be sipper but it's a wise to way to consume a beer that is both strong and complex; each mouthful reminds one of just how much can be derived from only a few measly ounces (bought with, it must be said, more than just a few measly dollars). Mind you the beer's high price tag is reflective of a rich beer, one that gives even more with bottle age.

Any Kuhnhenn in the cellar means life is good. Kuhnhenn beers - the barrel-aged offerings in particular - are objects against which to measure the rest of your life. Though they aren't cheap, these beers aren't about being well-heeled – they're about being well-off, in the sense that you have the fortunate circumstances to enjoy some of America's most rare and unique ales.

06-17-2013 04:16:01 | More by biegaman
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.11/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle opened on 5.26.13

2010 Vintage

A - Pours a dark caramel brown with a small dark tan head that fades away quickly.

S - Caramel, toffee, dark fruit, booze.

T - Caramel, dry fruit, booze. A touch of some oxidization.

D - Heavier body with low carbonation.

O - Boozey dark ale with lots of caramel and dark fruit flavors.

06-10-2013 04:46:42 | More by HuskyinPDX
tbeckett

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage. From notes.

A - Dark amber pour with half a finger of brown head. No lace and no retention with booze legs.

S - Aggressive. Whiskey, tons of dark fruit, port, lot's of spirits. Serious spirit/caramel/boozy fruits. Deep.

T - More spirit barrel, sugar, dark fruit, whiskey, vanilla, port. Complex.

M - Mild carbonation, full body, sweet spirit-like finish.

O/D - Wonderfully complex. Lot's of stuff going on with a deep boozy character and richness to compliment it. Drinks more like port. Liked it lot's.

06-03-2013 15:23:36 | More by tbeckett
FosterJM

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

1767th Review on BA
Bottle to Kuhnhenn Tulip
12oz

2011 Bottle

App- A turbid looking mix of browns, reds and purples. A bit muddled with a small 1 finger head. A bit dense and more along the lines of a stout mixed with an old ale. Not the most inviting color. A little bit of cling as it slides down the glass.

Smell- A lot of dark fruits and sugars on this one. More brown sugar and plums that I would have thought. I think time has mellowed this one out. The alcohol was a bit whispy still but not overpowering. A bit of oak and vanilla on a big whiff of this one.

Taste- This was more of a thicker tasting dark fruits leaning quad like flavor vs. old ale to me. I like the balance of flavors on it with the oak and vanilla balancing out the sweetness and the alcohols. Semi sweet with a bit of a bite on the finish from the alcohol.

Mouth- A medium body that almost borders on full with a medium thick carbonation. A bit of the residual sweetness remains and a bit of the vanilla and fruits as well. Some oak on a lip smack as well.

Drink- I thought it was tasty. I prefer the Bruery Anniversary Old ale offerings and the barrel aged 4D but this was very good.

05-26-2013 16:35:45 | More by FosterJM
CanuckRover

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Deep brown. Surprisingly nice head for the style, a couple fingers. Settles to a respectable film.

Big dark fruit on the nose, nice undercurrent of toffee and a bit of chocolate.

Holy sweetness. A little bit of odd, but kind of welcome, tartness to start things off, but then it's just a rush of sweet sweet fruit. There are some chocolate flavours that I really like and the slight alcohol heat near the finish is really nice, but it really needs a touch more zing to balance things out.

Mouthfeel on the other hand is just terrific. Full bodied with perfect amount of carbonation, an area where many old ales fall flat on their faces.

Some will (and obviously do) enjoy this, but too sweet for my tastes.

05-14-2013 02:16:50 | More by CanuckRover
jrenihan

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

BB 2017/01/01

Beer appears very dark brown- close to black but not quite. A small bit of off-whitehead is gone almost instantly.

Smell is very strong and rich. Burnt caramel/toffee, raisin. Quite malty. Smells like a port to me, with dark fruit.

Coming off the nose, the taste has a surprising herbal/spice flavour that I did not expect. Along with that are similar flavours to the nose- caramel/toffee, raisin, brown sugar. Alcohol heat is quite present, which is no surprise. A bit smoky. Very big flavour. Quite sweet.

Full bodied, very heavy, with a moderate carbonation level. Feels sticky. Sugar has a drying effect.

Overall, one big beer. I quite like it but it is a bit on the sweet side (although I do have a sweet tooth). Alcohol is also a bit much. I do wonder if it will mellow with age. In any event, quite enjoyable.

05-10-2013 00:14:06 | More by jrenihan
uno99

4.31/5  rDev +0.7%

Whoah! One of the highest ABV beers ever (legally) sold in Ontario.

Appearance: Quite a dark brown depending on how wide your glass is. Poured into a small collectable sample glass from a beer fest it is a very deep brown mahogany. No head or lacing really. Just a small ring around the meniscus.

Smell: Very pungent. Rich chocolate, dark fruits, sweet roasty malt, some lighter fruits, oak, pepper, lemon, leather. Quite complex.

Taste: big and bold. All properties from the scent are available in the taste. A bit of alcohol at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Adequate carbonation for this thick and rich ale. Plan on spending a good hour with this if you find yourself alone with the bottle.

Overall: Lives up to the reputation. A quite drinkable huge beer with complex taste and aroma.

05-06-2013 00:02:20 | More by uno99